ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website

FRESHWATER ANGLING => Fly fishing => Topic started by: Herman Jooste on September 01, 2010, 08:37:42 PM

Title: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on September 01, 2010, 08:37:42 PM
For us "Binnelanders,  the Vaal and the Orange systems are the primary waters for those of us who like to target fresh ( misnomer in the Vaal  :shk ) fish.
TROOT waters don't count !!!!!!!, A TROOT is a "moffie" fish, compared to our indigenous fish.

I thought that a thread like this would , (bait, artlure, flyfishermen,)  be suitable for anyone fishing the Vaal/Orange system , and their tribs.
The venues can be kept secret, if they are sensitive, but the more info we get, the better idea we have of what's happening on our primary river system.

If we see that "crap" is happening then we contact SAVE, ( Save The Vaal Environment ), who take those responsible to court, and always win. They have put 2 @rseholes from the Vereeniging Municipality into jail for 6 months. :happ:

If anyone would like to assist SAVE in any way, be it financially, or by services, drop me a PM, and I will give you there contact details.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: schloshd1 on September 02, 2010, 06:16:24 AM
It's great to know that they are slowly making some progress. Looking forward to your report after Sunday (unfortunately I don't think that I'm going to make it), I think that venue is going to cook after this week's weather.
I don't know if you checked under the rocks there last weekend but there were plenty of #16 chartreuse caddis and tiny black mayfly.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on September 02, 2010, 08:09:02 AM
........I thought that a thread like this would , (bait, artlure, flyfishermen,)  be suitable for anyone fishing the Vaal/Orange system , and their tribs......

Nice  Herman, I'm looking forward to the weekends fishing, time to get rid of the cabin fever!!!

......there were plenty of #16 chartreuse caddis and tiny black mayfly.

What size about for those mayflies Andrew? 18's? 20's?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: schloshd1 on September 02, 2010, 09:22:19 AM
Ja, about #18-20 is right. MInd you. I only picked up about 6 or 7 rocks and only in shallower sections, that water was still VARKING COLD
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on September 02, 2010, 09:28:11 AM
Ja, about #18-20 is right. MInd you. I only picked up about 6 or 7 rocks and only in shallower sections, that water was still VARKING COLD

Eish tiny buggers! Looks like some eye strain coming up tying flies this weekend! Did you guys measure the water temp?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: schloshd1 on September 02, 2010, 12:48:27 PM
Eish tiny buggers! Looks like some eye strain coming up tying flies this weekend! Did you guys measure the water temp?

Craig wet waded, he measured it as lion cold.
Speaking of eye strain, I picked up some #24s  this morning
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Poenskop on September 03, 2010, 09:13:07 AM
I am off to Christiana for the weekend. Leaving at 12. :happ: Hope I can post a couple of Largies on Monday.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: schloshd1 on September 03, 2010, 09:25:00 AM
Enjoy it , I'm looking forward to the report back  :tite
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on September 03, 2010, 09:48:59 AM
I am off to Christiana for the weekend. Leaving at 12. :happ: Hope I can post a couple of Largies on Monday.

Tight lines Louis! w;k
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on September 05, 2010, 03:35:25 PM
Hi Guys, heres a report back of this mornings trip to the vaal. We fished a venue above the barrage, which means 2 things: Very cold water with low viz, but no crowds and no rock snot. I measured the water at a fresh 11 degrees, which means its lion cold if you don't have waders. The average flow rate at this venue is in the region of 12 cumecs, but its currently flowing at 19. Hence the colder water. The fishing was slow but its still early in the season, and personally I was very rusty, missing plenty fish. I managed to hook into 3 fish, all getting a "long line release"! No photies I'm afraid! I think the other guys did about the same. Thanks to Herman, Adrian and Jaun for a super morning - good company, good fishing and bitterly cold beers!
Some pics:
1. Myself and Herman having "breakfast"
2. Adrian , Herman and Jaun heading for the river
3. Adrian and Herman fishing
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Tsutsuma on September 05, 2010, 04:06:19 PM
Good Stuff you guys getting out & About
Nice pix
Carlos
}<(((*>
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: schloshd1 on September 05, 2010, 04:51:49 PM
Nice one Rory, lion cold indeed. I'm hoping to fish below the barrage next Sunday.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on September 05, 2010, 06:20:01 PM
A great day ideed. Andrew, I'm also planning below the barrage, but slightly above where you will be heading. w;k

BTW, how do I post pics on here ? :cnfzd
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Poenskop on September 06, 2010, 09:14:21 AM
Here is my report for my trip to Christiana.

We arrived at our spot 5:30 Friday afternoon. We pitched our tents, got the boat ready and collected some firewood. That night was extremely cold. The next morning we awoke to a perfect windless morning. The water visibility was very poor for that area and this time of year. I also could not see any water plants not even the rocksnot that normally plague this spot for this time of year. We concentrated our efforts on Largemouth Yellows casting towards the hundreds of fallen trees on the margins of the river. The wind started giving us problems from about 10 o’clock onwards. We did not get any enquiries the whole morning. We decided to concentrate on Largies again after lunch and only start dry fly fishing as soon as the evening rises start. The evening mayfly hatch did not happen so the rest of the day was spend on the Largies. No Largies was caught or seen for the whole of the weekend. :sadd
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on September 06, 2010, 03:43:06 PM
Good Stuff you guys getting out & About
Nice pix
Carlos
}<(((*>

Hey Carlos, in the second pic, check how dry and dusty things are still up here. Roll on the rain!! :pray:

Nice one Rory, lion cold indeed. I'm hoping to fish below the barrage next Sunday.

Let me know, I'm keen to join you. Perhaps we have a planning session while tying some flies on Saturday? :pot:

BTW, how do I post pics on here ? :cnfzd

Herman, when you post a reply, click on "Additional Options..." at the bottom of the screen, that will allow you to manage attacments.

Here is my report for my trip to Christiana.

We arrived at our spot 5:30 Friday afternoon. We pitched our tents, got the boat ready and collected some firewood. That night was extremely cold. The next morning we awoke to a perfect windless morning. The water visibility was very poor for that area and this time of year. I also could not see any water plants not even the rocksnot that normally plague this spot for this time of year. We concentrated our efforts on Largemouth Yellows casting towards the hundreds of fallen trees on the margins of the river. The wind started giving us problems from about 10 o’clock onwards. We did not get any enquiries the whole morning. We decided to concentrate on Largies again after lunch and only start dry fly fishing as soon as the evening rises start. The evening mayfly hatch did not happen so the rest of the day was spend on the Largies. No Largies was caught or seen for the whole of the weekend. :sadd

Hard lines Louis..... :dunno:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: schloshd1 on September 07, 2010, 06:10:51 AM
Rory and anyone else that's keen to join, I'll be fishing at Strydom's on Sunday. Herman, why don't you do a short drift downstream and join us, you won't be able to hear the Blackberry ring from Yellow Beach  w;k

Louis, better luck next time. At least it got you out of the big smoke for a weekend.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on September 07, 2010, 08:39:23 PM
Andrew, that could be a plan.
However there is a tentative arrange,ment to fish above with Adrian, using the boats. I will however confirm and let you know before  Sunday.  :sml:


P.S. Hope this comes out, but herewith a pic of Rory fighting the "1st Ghost " on Sunday past.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on September 07, 2010, 08:41:31 PM
YAAAAYYYY, it worked.  :happ:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on September 08, 2010, 08:00:59 AM
Rory and anyone else that's keen to join, I'll be fishing at Strydom's on Sunday.......

I'm dead keen, will confirm with you tonight!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on September 08, 2010, 05:37:36 PM
Rory and anyone else that's keen to join, I'll be fishing at Strydom's on Sunday.....

I'm dead keen, will confirm with you tonight!

I'm in! Woohoo we going fishing! (hap
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on September 08, 2010, 07:15:46 PM
See you guys at Strydoms on Sunday.  :tkx:
With the weather as it is I may even wet wade. :shk
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: schloshd1 on September 08, 2010, 08:22:20 PM
Nice one! See you guys there
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on September 09, 2010, 08:11:07 AM
Rory and anyone else that's keen to join, I'll be fishing at Strydom's on Sunday. Herman, why don't you do a short drift downstream and join us, you won't be able to hear the Blackberry ring from Yellow Beach  w;k

Louis, better luck next time. At least it got you out of the big smoke for a weekend.

I would like to join as well, where is Strydom's?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: schloshd1 on September 09, 2010, 08:27:46 AM
I would like to join as well, where is Strydom's?

cool, it's between Yellowfish Paradise and Silwerstrome
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on September 09, 2010, 04:38:20 PM
See you guys at Strydoms on Sunday........

I would like to join as well, where is Strydom's?......

Pieter, drop Herman a PM, he also lives in Vanderbijl, I'm sure he won't mind if you follow him to the venue on Sunday morning. :idea:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on September 09, 2010, 08:47:41 PM
Pieter, drop Herman a PM, he also lives in Vanderbijl, I'm sure he won't mind if you follow him to the venue on Sunday morning. :idea:

PM sent to Pieter.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: schloshd1 on September 12, 2010, 02:57:31 PM
A group of us (Herman J, Pieter, Rory, Adrian, Graham and myself) fished the Vaal this morning. The river is looking good, loads of insect life. There were plenty of tan coloured caddis under all the rocks as well as black mayfly nymphs. Rory measured the water temperature at 16c. Everybody hooked at least one fish , but not all of them were landed. Rory got a really good yellow within 5 minutes of being on the water.
Thanks guys for a great morning on the river, I'm looking forward to spending a lot more time on the Vaal this summer
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on September 12, 2010, 05:28:10 PM
Thanks for a good morning guys, super stuff.  w;k The water is definately a lot wamer below the barrage, and as Andrew said the goggas are going nuts. There were caddis and mayflies hatching the whole morning. The fish have started feeding and it looks like the floods from earlier in the year haven't drastically altered much. Some pics:
1. Graham fishing a nice run
2. Herman with a nice fat muddie
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on September 12, 2010, 05:38:27 PM
Yup, thanks to all. It was indeed a great morning out.

Pieter, well done on not seeing your @rse on your first Vaal trip, and without a wading stick noggal. (clap), however as we said this morning, " There's only 2 types of f/f who fish the Vaal. those who have fallen, and those who WILL fall. :hehe:

Another GREAT morning . Thanks again Guys. :happ:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on September 12, 2010, 05:58:48 PM
I had to smile in disbelief though. After Rory had taken the pic of the muddy, we both had to answer a call from his "Blackberry" .

Whilst he was wading up to me he was flicking his flies in front of him, ( as we are wont to do ) to ensure they don't get snagged on rocks.

When he was within Blackberry arms length, he flicked out another cast. As he was about to tuck the rod under his arm, it was SCREEEEECCCHHH,  POP.  :shk

12 ib leader in sy moer in.  :shk We both spent around 5 minutes looking for the strike indicator, because on the end of that leader was a helluve fish. :sadd
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on September 13, 2010, 08:10:01 AM
Just have to say that I really enjoyed the morning and thank you for all your help!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: AdrianPowrie on September 13, 2010, 09:56:14 AM
Thanks guys!
As usal a great morning out!

I finally managed to open the season with a decent Yellow when we went back in!
Didnt get any pics though as Graham was into a arse hooked muddy wilst I was trying not to get brokken off...

And a huge thanks to the Drayman's delivery! True scholar and gentleman!! :resp:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: schloshd1 on September 13, 2010, 07:22:56 PM
Thanks guys!
As usal a great morning out!

I finally managed to open the season with a decent Yellow when we went back in!
Didnt get any pics though as Graham was into a arse hooked muddy wilst I was trying not to get brokken off...

And a huge thanks to the Drayman's delivery! True scholar and gentleman!! :resp:

Well done on the yellow, what did you get it on?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on September 15, 2010, 09:14:43 PM
Guys, we are going back to Strydom's on Sunday.  w;k
Anyone and everyone is welcome.
Between all the reprobates coming there will be enough "spare" rigs for those who want to try f/f the Vaal for the first time.
If you are intersted, PM either, Rory, SA Gixer, SchlossD1, Chris Williams, or myself.

If you can believe Rory, the "GEES" at these Vaal trippies, nearly reaches the same levels as the UA, social ones. :happ: :thmsup"
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on September 17, 2010, 02:00:03 PM
Guys, we are going back to Strydom's on Sunday.  w;k
Anyone and everyone is welcome.
Between all the reprobates coming there will be enough "spare" rigs for those who want to try f/f the Vaal for the first time.
If you are intersted, PM either, Rory, SA Gixer, SchlossD1, Chris Williams, or myself.

If you can believe Rory, the "GEES" at these Vaal trippies, nearly reaches the same levels as the UA, social ones. :happ: :thmsup"

Wont make it this week end sorry chaps :(
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on September 20, 2010, 08:50:58 AM
Another great day on the Vaal, thanks to the guys who were there. I measured the water at 17 degrees early in the morning, vis was about 30cm. There caddis flies are still going ape, there were plenty hatching the whole day, but no mayflies this time. I hooked a sizer muddie that led me a merry dance around the rapids, the fish are in excellent condition and as fat as butter. The small flies are still producing, my top fly being a small off white caddis larva, size 18. Chris and Herman both had their first "Vaal Shuffles" for the year and  I managed to come a cropper on the rocks, my waders definately saving me a couple of stitches. The session also doubled as a get together for the Stithians Flyfishers, well organised by Chris. Herman took lots more pics, I'm sure he'll post some later.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: shagnrelease on September 20, 2010, 09:01:57 AM
nice one gents!! I am going to have to make a plan for a vaal trip with you lads!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: AdrianPowrie on September 20, 2010, 09:06:08 AM
Looks to have been a great morning out!

Damn Sorry I missed it! Spent the day looking at venues for a B/Day party... :unhap
Did you get yor fish in the front run again?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Capt. Hook on September 20, 2010, 09:10:10 AM
Have not fished there for a long while. I must do it again.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on September 20, 2010, 09:13:25 AM
nice one gents!! I am going to have to make a plan for a vaal trip with you lads!

Yes please!

Looks to have been a great morning out!

Damn Sorry I missed it! Spent the day looking at venues for a B/Day party... :unhap
Did you get yor fish in the front run again?

Ja in that front run, the fish are there, but Methinks the fishing should improve after the first rains.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Quickbite on September 20, 2010, 09:31:06 AM
cant wait anymore for the first rains.... when will it cum??
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: schloshd1 on September 20, 2010, 04:44:46 PM
Nothing wrong with the fishing, just the fishermen :lolo:   I'm sorry I missed this one but am looking forward to this weekends fishing. Adrian, for a Bday venue there can be only one, GILROY'S  . Actually I may be having a small celebration there next Friday if you guys want to pull in.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: AdrianPowrie on September 20, 2010, 05:07:23 PM
Nothing wrong with the fishing, just the fishermen :lolo:   I'm sorry I missed this one but am looking forward to this weekends fishing. Adrian, for a Bday venue there can be only one, GILROY'S  . Actually I may be having a small celebration there next Friday if you guys want to pull in.

Ja, we went past and got all the info. Unfortunatly it is Swambo's b/day party and she decided as we walked in the door that it looks like the boys will have far too much fun...

I will be keen to hook up! what is it in aid of?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: schloshd1 on September 20, 2010, 05:10:54 PM
LOL, Busted! It's in aid of my 30th and my mate coming over from the UK for a visit. Nothing set in stone yet though, should know for sure early next week
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on September 21, 2010, 08:21:47 PM
Thanks guys for a great day. The first swim/drift of the season always reminds you that you have to respect the Vaal, and it's tricks. :sml: At least my fall was in head deep water ( off a boulder ) so the chances of injury were minimal.

OMR's, miscalculated drift left him bouncing on his @rse through 2 sets of rapids. Luckily he's a wily, experienced old f@rt, and came out with a small graze on a shin bone.

Rory's fall was the worst you can have on the Vaal. Ankle deep water, with slimy rocks. When you go down there is no water to cushion you, it's body part hitting a rock. Eeeiinnnaa.  :shk

I will leave Rory to post the pic of his fish, but here are some other general pics of the day. Please note the Chairman of St. Stith's toasting himself, in front of the Banner.




Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on September 22, 2010, 04:53:10 PM
......I will leave Rory to post the pic of his fish.........

 (bat Have you lost my email address??? :pot:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on September 22, 2010, 07:50:03 PM
Eeiisshh, Retry  :unhap :cnfzd
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: J-Rock on September 23, 2010, 11:17:17 PM
Looks & sounds like you guys had a blast out there on the Vaal...
 fshg
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on September 25, 2010, 10:12:37 PM
With weather as it has been lately, I;m expecting water temps of 18 - 19 tomorrow. Taking OMR to my favourite pozzie.
Hope to have a favourable report back.  w;k
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on October 17, 2010, 06:02:13 PM
A group of us went "behind bars " today. Can you believe it took some "sweet talking " to get in  :dunno:
Early morning was overcast,with a cold wind blowing. Rory measured water temp @ 15.  :shk
Between the water temp, and the wind, most of us cried off at 10:00, even those in waders.
As per the norm, Rory got the first fish, a nice muddy, followed by OMR waaaay upstream with a yellow, 1.5 - 2.0kg ( if you can believe him ????? ).
I got a juvenile yellow ( silver ), and then Louis got the fish of the day, A SM yellow of around 2.5kg, gave him a good rev too. Well landed. (clap)
Thanks to all the UA guys who joined us. It was good seeing " Monster" , his buddie ( sorry forgot the name ) and Louis again.
Hats off to Louie on the fish of the day, on a difficult venue, on his first trip to  the venue.. :happ:

See ya on the water soon. w;k
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: schloshd1 on October 17, 2010, 07:02:32 PM
Nice one Herman, sounds like you guys had a good time. What colour/size are the caddis at the moment? Am thinking about going there this coming Saturday and I still want to do some more tying.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Poenskop on October 18, 2010, 08:34:07 AM
Thanks for the nice words Herman, it was a lovely day on the water. It was very cold for us non wader wearing individuals. Those smallies box way above their weight class. Andrew I caught that smallmouth of mine on a #12 white plummer's caddis control fly.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on October 18, 2010, 09:26:31 AM
.....Hats off to Louie on the fish of the day, on a difficult venue, on his first trip to  the venue.. :happ:.....


I'll second that! A super fish in miserable conditions and at a tough venue! :ayb Sorry i was to far away to photograph it! Here some pics from the day:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on October 24, 2010, 05:49:12 PM
Had an absolute blast on the river today, plenty hungry fish, good company and of course some cold beers. Thanks to Herman, Chris(The Old Man River), Andrew and Bryan for a super day. Unfortunately the wind blew us off the river at about 09h30, but we had super fishing up to then. My personal tally included about 8 muddies and a yellow in the net, and I lost count of the amount of fish that pulled the hooks. Chris caught a nice size carp which put up a strong fight, but the fish of the day was Andrews yellow. The photo of this yellow doesn't do the fish justice!

Roll on next week.....
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Tsutsuma on October 24, 2010, 06:11:54 PM
Well done guys - great pix of your fish.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: schloshd1 on October 24, 2010, 06:18:10 PM
Thanks for a great day out guys  :tkx:  Bryan and I stayed and fished the afternoon as well and we got a few more fish each with Bryan getting a good carp as well
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on October 24, 2010, 06:29:06 PM
Thanks to all for another great day on the river. Must say it was nice  for the fish to come to the party as well. :tkx:
Probably a "break" for me next weekend, then it's the VAAL WEEKEND. :rck" fshg :happ:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on October 24, 2010, 06:36:33 PM

....Probably a "break" for me next weekend, then it's the VAAL WEEKEND. :rck" fshg :happ:.....

Eish! Ultimate Social next saturday, fishing the vaal again on Sunday and then the Vaal weekend away.....Yes Please!! Bring it on! (hap (hap
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: shagnrelease on October 24, 2010, 06:48:57 PM
nice boys nice!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Gerhard on October 25, 2010, 07:36:46 AM
Well done,

I am moving to Edenvale next month.

Will have to come and learn how to catch the yellows on fly from you guys...  w;k
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Poenskop on October 25, 2010, 11:07:41 AM
Lekka fish you guys got there Rory. I went to Kommando Nek for the weekend. The wading was extremely bad. Any worse flows and you wont be able to fish that place at all. The yellows had a serious case of lockjaw so I only managed to catch one Yellow for the weekend. A Largemouth Yellow of 2.5kg's. :happ: Only my fourth Largie ever. Was super happy about that one. I will go back to that venue in the winter with my inflatable but never to wade again. All and all a very nice weekend but the wind and wading spoilt it abit.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: schloshd1 on October 25, 2010, 12:16:59 PM
Excellent, well done on the largie! (clap) Beer on me the next time I see you w;k
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on October 25, 2010, 12:38:18 PM
......I only managed to catch one Yellow for the weekend. A Largemouth Yellow of 2.5kg's. :happ: Only my fourth Largie ever. Was super happy about that one.......

Well done on the largie, excellent! (clap) Did you take a pic?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Poenskop on October 25, 2010, 01:36:17 PM
I always forget the camera. :sadd
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on October 25, 2010, 08:34:43 PM
Well done,

I am moving to Edenvale next month.

Will have to come and learn how to catch the yellows on fly from you guys...  w;k

Gerhard, you are more than welcome to join us. w;k
 There is normally at least one of the "degenerates" fishing on any given weekend, and any one of us would only be to happy to have you along. :sml:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on October 25, 2010, 08:38:43 PM
Lekka fish you guys got there Rory. I went to Kommando Nek for the weekend. The wading was extremely bad. Any worse flows and you wont be able to fish that place at all. The yellows had a serious case of lockjaw so I only managed to catch one Yellow for the weekend. A Largemouth Yellow of 2.5kg's. :happ: Only my fourth Largie ever. Was super happy about that one. I will go back to that venue in the winter with my inflatable but never to wade again. All and all a very nice weekend but the wind and wading spoilt it abit.


Well done on the Largie. :happ:

You seem to have the "knack" of taking on a new venue, and coming off with the "prize" fish of the day, (clap) ( Now where's the green man icon?? )  :sml:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on October 26, 2010, 02:35:19 PM
Well done,

I am moving to Edenvale next month.

Will have to come and learn how to catch the yellows on fly from you guys...  w;k

Gerhard, you are more than welcome to join us. w;k
 There is normally at least one of the "degenerates" fishing on any given weekend, and any one of us would only be to happy to have you along. :sml:

Yip, just let us know when you're settled in and we'll make a plan, no problemo!! w;k
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on October 27, 2010, 09:16:25 AM
Is anybody fishing the vaal this weekend?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: schloshd1 on October 27, 2010, 12:33:16 PM
Unfortunately I'm not but I think that Rory might be.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on October 27, 2010, 01:09:59 PM
Is anybody fishing the vaal this weekend?

Unfortunately I'm not but I think that Rory might be.

Pieter I'm fishing on Sunday, you keen to come along?? fshg
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on October 28, 2010, 08:47:16 AM
I might give it a go, where are you fishing?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on October 28, 2010, 12:14:56 PM
I might give it a go, where are you fishing?

We're going to Erina on sunday morning. Let me know if you keen and I'll give you directions!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on October 28, 2010, 12:18:06 PM
I'm keen not sure about the weather though
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on October 28, 2010, 07:40:05 PM
I'm keen not sure about the weather though

If you wade, you get wet, if it rains you get wet.

You're wet anyway. :hehe:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on October 29, 2010, 08:19:36 AM
Jip now I feel like a pile of dog feces. Was more worried about being washed away
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on October 29, 2010, 08:46:31 AM
If you wade, you get wet, if it rains you get wet......

 :lolo: :hyst:

So we'll see you there Pieter?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on October 29, 2010, 11:25:05 AM
Wont make it, have to go to pretoria :(
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on October 29, 2010, 11:34:38 AM
Wont make it, have to go to pretoria :(

No worries man, we'll keep you in the loop!!! w;k
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Hooch on November 01, 2010, 10:31:02 AM
Again, a uge thanks to Rory for a lovely day on the vaal. Had a blast and oll. LOL
Thanks to the "Blackberry" in the morning, i managed to sort myself out and catch some fish.
 Thanks to Koos for the laughter and keeping us entertained. Well done bud.
Here are some pics of my muddy!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on November 01, 2010, 10:40:21 AM
Ja a super session yesterday. We were joined by a mate of mine, Koos, and met Adrian and two of his buddies there. We fished the same venue last week, but the flows have been significantlly reduced. Because of this venues proximity to the Barrage, a reduction in flow rate is evident almost immediately. I reckon the river level was down by at least 300mm. Because of the lower levels, a lot of gravel beds are now in the perfect depth for spawning fish, and the fish were going crazy spawning in the shallows. This in turn made fishing the first run practically impossible. But in the deep runs the fish were stiil hungry and were hitting the flies. I don't think anybody blanked, with the fish of the day being caught by Adrians buddy Mike, a beaut of a yellow, no smaller than 2kg!

Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Poenskop on November 01, 2010, 11:12:05 AM
Glad you guys got some action. How did the Fireline leader work?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on November 01, 2010, 12:06:24 PM
Louis the water was so low I just used mono. I'll give the fireline a bash this weekend. w;k
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on November 01, 2010, 07:36:21 PM
Looks and sounds like everyone had a gas.

I would however love to know what's the story with the flows. It is very unusual for them to drop them less low at this time of year.  :dunno:  :cnfzd

Unless the are building up "stock" for the Vaal Canoe Marathon, which is from the Vaal Dam to Parys, and is normally held around this time.  swr

Anyone have the canoing calander handy ????
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: schloshd1 on November 01, 2010, 07:59:06 PM

Anyone have the canoing calander handy ????

I've been wondering the same thing. Provided it's not this coming weekend it's all good. Although I think it will take the flows a day or 2 to reach where we'll be fishing.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on November 01, 2010, 09:19:40 PM
I've been wondering the same thing. Provided it's not this coming weekend it's all good. Although I think it will take the flows a day or 2 to reach where we'll be fishing.

Andrew, Day 1, the Sat, they increase the flow from the dam to around 40 tons, i.e. prison side. Day 2 the Sun, they increase the flow from the Barrage to about 80 tons.
This will only reach Oord Nebo on Monday/Tuesday so we should be cool. :ayb

There again Oord Nebo is fishable at 80 tons. :hehe: fshg fshg
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: schloshd1 on November 02, 2010, 05:56:11 AM
BTW, if you have a look on their website, you can do a drift from Scandinavia Drift down to Oord Nebo. Will find out more about it this weekend. I had a look on Google Earth, Some VERY good looking water and it seems to be about half the length of the Elgro Drift, very manageable in a day while still being able to stop and fish at each good looking spot.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on November 02, 2010, 08:57:28 PM
BTW, if you have a look on their website, you can do a drift from Scandinavia Drift down to Oord Nebo. Will find out more about it this weekend. I had a look on Google Earth, Some VERY good looking water and it seems to be about half the length of the Elgro Drift, very manageable in a day while still being able to stop and fish at each good looking spot.

Now that you have finally committed to a "inflatable Boat " of sorts, you can join SAGixer ( Adriaan ) and I on the drift. :lolo:

Plus point is no more "lifting" at GVP.  w;k

Now to just convince OMR to get his own boat, and we are nearly sorted.  :happ: :happ:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: schloshd1 on November 03, 2010, 05:53:51 AM
Now that you have finally committed to a "inflatable Boat " of sorts, you can join SAGixer ( Adriaan ) and I on the drift. :lolo:

Plus point is no more "lifting" at GVP.  w;k

Now to just convince OMR to get his own boat, and we are nearly sorted.  :happ: :happ:
yep, am looking really forward to it. Finding new smallie water and giving the largies a proper go in winter
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: diamonddogs on November 04, 2010, 12:39:33 PM
Would love to join you okes at Oord Nebo but those fish seems very small on the pics posted.
Would there be anyone willing to show me how to catch big fish? I promise I will tie you a selections of flies with precisely 3463 lead wraps if anyone can get me into a big feesh.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: schloshd1 on November 04, 2010, 01:22:46 PM
Would love to join you okes at Oord Nebo but those fish seems very small on the pics posted.
Would there be anyone willing to show me how to catch big fish? I promise I will tie you a selections of flies with precisely 3463 lead wraps if anyone can get me into a big feesh.

How many times out of 10 are those flies likely to snag in a bush?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on November 04, 2010, 08:59:09 PM
Would love to join you okes at Oord Nebo but those fish seems very small on the pics posted.
Would there be anyone willing to show me how to catch big fish? I promise I will tie you a selections of flies with precisely 3463 lead wraps if anyone can get me into a big feesh.

I thought you were on a work related weekend year end function, :dunno:

You've been shown how to catch yellows, in summer and winter, and have taught yourself how to catch BEEEEEG      LM ellows.

Just get your arse down there and avoid the Negrita, and have a ball.
You may just get to catch BEEEG    FEEEEEESSSHHHH. :happ:



Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on November 05, 2010, 07:54:04 AM
Vaal canoe marathon 6 November 2010 hope this helps
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: shagnrelease on November 05, 2010, 08:03:28 AM
anyone keen on a mid week sneak next week?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on November 05, 2010, 08:07:20 AM
anyone keen on a mid week sneak next week?

Midweeks are impossible for me! :unhap but the advantage is theres nobody else fishing, you practically have the entire river to yourself!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on November 05, 2010, 08:13:08 AM
From 3 December I can do midweeks  :rck"
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: shagnrelease on November 05, 2010, 08:22:59 AM
Midweeks are impossible for me! :unhap but the advantage is theres nobody else fishing, you practically have the entire river to yourself!

I am sure you are coming down with a dose of the shits :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on November 05, 2010, 08:29:00 AM
I am sure you are coming down with a dose of the shits :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe:

Another holiday for the poor underpaid teachers, which will bring my total to 14 weeks the school year.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Poenskop on November 05, 2010, 08:33:20 AM
I am sure you are coming down with a dose of the shits :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe:

How is he going to explain the tan? :lolo:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: diamonddogs on November 05, 2010, 08:52:36 AM
enjoy
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on November 05, 2010, 11:23:02 AM
I am sure you are coming down with a dose of the shits :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe:

It might have to be arranged.....

......I've ziplocked my control flies in Berkley Gulp spray this whole week - let's see if that works....

WHAT????  :unhap Have you given up on Marmite already?? :pot: :hyst: :hyst:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: shagnrelease on November 05, 2010, 11:25:43 AM
It might have to be arranged.....

WHAT????  :unhap Have you given up on Marmite already?? :pot: :hyst: :hyst:

arrange at will....
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: shagnrelease on November 05, 2010, 11:53:02 AM
Its been decided and I will be doing the river on friday next week, yes please!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on November 05, 2010, 12:00:52 PM
Its been decided and I will be doing the river on friday next week, yes please!

What time are you fishing?
maybe my stomach will develop that intolerance for the local water
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: shagnrelease on November 05, 2010, 12:08:26 PM
I generally go quite early, I will be there from around 7 thirty.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on November 05, 2010, 12:33:09 PM
I generally go quite early, I will be there from around 7 thirty.

That is still to early for me to fake an illness, will wait for December to fish in the week
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: shagnrelease on November 05, 2010, 12:40:00 PM
That is still to early for me to fake an illness, will wait for December to fish in the week

we normally fish till dark
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on November 05, 2010, 12:46:43 PM
Will make a plan where are you fishing?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: shagnrelease on November 05, 2010, 12:53:37 PM
Will make a plan where are you fishing?
not sure as yet I will let you know, maybe eastco.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on November 05, 2010, 12:55:23 PM
Let us know
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: shagnrelease on November 12, 2010, 07:07:08 AM
It might have to be arranged.....

WHAT????  :unhap Have you given up on Marmite already?? :pot: :hyst: :hyst:

I will be hitting eagles around 11 ish....
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on November 12, 2010, 07:48:35 AM
I will be hitting eagles around 11 ish....

This just isn't fair......... :sadd

Enjoy it Shaggers, sorry I can't join you there, take some pics! w;k
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: schloshd1 on November 12, 2010, 08:04:06 AM
I will be hitting eagles around 11 ish....

Enjoy it! Depending on flows I will either be fishing YFP, a spot above the barrage or checking out a bass place near Edenvale. Decisions, decisions . . .
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on November 12, 2010, 09:00:56 AM
I need a new job! Looks like I'm the only oke stuck at the salt mines today.... :vio :vio swr
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: schloshd1 on November 12, 2010, 10:10:44 AM
I need a new job! Looks like I'm the only oke stuck at the salt mines today.... :vio :vio swr

I meant tomorrow, unfortunately I'm stuck behind bench mixers all day today.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: shagnrelease on November 13, 2010, 11:54:09 AM
Had a quick 3hr session yesterday afternoon, it was pretty good I got 7 fish 5 yellows and 2 muddies, nothing huge but great fun. the river seemed to be a bit up but I did not check the flows.

This is marks fish the only one I managed to get a photo off.The wind was howling, and I am a bit rusty!
(http://i56.tinypic.com/29m9fs1.jpg)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on November 14, 2010, 05:17:31 PM
Thats a super fish! That water in the background looks awesome, where was this Shaggers?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: shagnrelease on November 14, 2010, 06:52:36 PM
Thats a super fish! That water in the background looks awesome, where was this Shaggers?

This was at Arends nes, Great venue except when the masses arrive at the weekends.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Poenskop on November 15, 2010, 09:30:31 AM
I also went to Arendsnes yesterday. Got 5 yellows and 3 muddies. I have found that if you go high up the river the crowds stay behind. The fish was not partial to any particular fly. I caught them on hotspot PTN’s, white plummerstape caddis, olive caddis and the star of the day “Humpy’s Favorite”. The “Humpy favorite’ accounted for the fish of the day. A yellow of 3.1kg. I will post the pic as soon as I get it.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on November 15, 2010, 09:39:21 AM
This was at Arends nes, Great venue except when the masses arrive at the weekends.

Hee hee, another reason to find a flexi hours job..... w;k

I also went to Arendsnes yesterday. Got 5 yellows and 3 muddies. I have found that if you go high up the river the crowds stay behind. The fish was not partial to any particular fly. I caught them on hotspot PTN’s, white plummerstape caddis, olive caddis and the star of the day “Humpy’s Favorite”. The “Humpy favorite’ accounted for the fish of the day. A yellow of 3.1kg. I will post the pic as soon as I get it.

Nice Louis! Also one of my favourites, the Humpys Favourite!!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on November 15, 2010, 09:41:26 PM
I took my boet to GVP yesterday. Flows were rowable ( upstream 2 up, 1 paddler ).

My boet decided not to fish, but watch, a bit nerving as he taught me to fish when I was 5.

I had a corker of a morning though.  :sml:

According to Jan, I got 2 yellows and 12 muddies in the normal 3 hours fishing. Never got to measure the biggest yellow, ( long line release  <: ) but had a good look at it, guestimate around 3.5kg.

The muddie hole is kooking, virtually cast for cast and a hookup. Got 8 out of there in 1 hour, then started to get crowded by others who had waded up.

Decided that I had had a good morning and gave over the spot to the "hungriest " wader. :dunno:

Somehow, I don't think he was watching closely enough, as by the time we had packed up and left, I don't think he had hooked a fish. :dunno: :dunno:

Anyway , another brilliant morning on the Vaal.  fshg :happ: :happ:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: schloshd1 on November 16, 2010, 06:38:09 AM


Nice one Herman. Did you try fish the top "Yellow Bend" section? Is it still fishable? And rapids above it?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Poenskop on November 16, 2010, 08:23:24 AM
Here is a photo of the fish of Sunday. It somehow looks alot smaller on the photo. :cnfzd
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: BigG on November 16, 2010, 08:25:50 AM
Nice fish there.... don't they always look smaller in the pictures?  :hehe:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: shagnrelease on November 16, 2010, 08:37:08 AM
nicely done mate!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on November 16, 2010, 08:38:33 AM
Nice one Louis!  :rck"
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Gerhard on November 16, 2010, 08:49:11 AM
Here is a photo of the fish of Sunday. It somehow looks alot smaller on the photo. :cnfzd


Very nice photo and fish.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: kp11 on November 16, 2010, 09:28:16 AM
Use a wide angle lens and take the photo from closer makes the fish look huge  :hyst:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Poenskop on November 16, 2010, 10:16:59 AM
Use a wide angle lens and take the photo from closer makes the fish look huge  :hyst:

Or I will have to diet a bit. Then my wide frame would not dwarf the fish. :hehe:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on November 16, 2010, 07:36:58 PM

Nice one Herman. Did you try fish the top "Yellow Bend" section? Is it still fishable? And rapids above it?

The 2 yellows came out of the "Yellow Bend" as well as the biggest muddie of the day, ( just shy on 4kg )
The whole area up there is still very fishable, the major changes after the floods have been to the banks, but there is a new sand bank here, and deep hole there, thatwere not there before. :sml:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: schloshd1 on November 16, 2010, 08:01:48 PM
The 2 yellows came out of the "Yellow Bend" as well as the biggest muddie of the day, ( just shy on 4kg )
The whole area up there is still very fishable, the major changes after the floods have been to the banks, but there is a new sand bank here, and deep hole there, thatwere not there before. :sml:

Cool. I may be taking my 14 year cousin for his first Vaal outing this Saturday and I want him to get into a few fish. I'm thinking either there, Strome or Erina. I'm leaning towards Erina at the moment.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on November 17, 2010, 08:48:15 PM
Cool. I may be taking my 14 year cousin for his first Vaal outing this Saturday and I want him to get into a few fish. I'm thinking either there, Strome or Erina. I'm leaning towards Erina at the moment.

Andrew, no need for me to tell you that it's all flow dependent.
 Erina is ok up to 40, after that crossing the first channel get's tricky. Also it's getting far to busy, and not that much water.
GVP, up to 50 , and row up to YellowFish Bend. Fish just below the overhanging willow from early till 10:00. Then drift down to the Muddie hole. w;k
Strome ??, Ya easy wading and can be fished up to 80. People wise though ????

Good luck though, always nice to get youngsters involved. :resp: (clap)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on November 28, 2010, 06:16:49 PM
Myself, Herman and his boet Jan, and Julian fished at Eastco this morning. This is one of those classic stories where everything condition wise was perfect, except the fish weren't playing along.  :dunno: A perfect summers day, ideal flow rate, ideal vis, water temp was easily in the mid twenties but the fish just didn't come to the party. No doubt they were there, I must have had about 6 come off the hook, plus I was decently smoked by a bus of note, the fish snapped my 12lb leader after a straight upstream run of more than 20 metres - "thanks for coming!" If anyones keen, I'm going back next week to try settle the score!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: schloshd1 on November 28, 2010, 06:23:17 PM
Myself, Herman and his boet Jan, and Julian fished at Eastco this morning. This is one of those classic stories where everything condition wise was perfect, except the fish wern't playing along.  :dunno: A perfect summers day, ideal flow rate, ideal vis, water temp was easily in the mid twenties but the fish just didn't come to the party. No doubt they were there, I must have had about 6 come off the hook, plus I was decently smoked by a bus of note, the fish snapped my 12lb leader after a straight upstream run of more than 20 metres - "thanks for coming!" If anyones keen, I'm going back next week to try settle the score!

Nice one Rory. Depending on how the new tat is healing I might join you guys next weekend
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on November 28, 2010, 06:30:42 PM
Nice one Rory. Depending on how the new tat is healing I might join you guys next weekend

Excellent, pull in man! I've got that Willemse/czech type/braided mono leader waxed now, really enjoying fishing with it.  :clwn
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: schloshd1 on November 28, 2010, 06:41:26 PM
Nice, it's a very effective setup once you get used to fishing it. Looks like you were fishing the zebra crossing.  Did you cross the islands and at all? There is plenty of very good water on the other side
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on November 28, 2010, 06:47:37 PM
Ja we only fished on the far side of the island in the main river, didn't even stop at the front section. As you say theres plenty water there!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: schloshd1 on November 28, 2010, 07:09:59 PM
Nice, will hopefully see you guys on the water there next weekend, I'm assuming Sunday? According to PTA's most eligible fly tying bachelor there are some BIG SM and LM to be found in the deeper water there during the Winter 
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on November 29, 2010, 08:36:45 PM
As Rory said, it was a very weird fishing day in perfect conditions.

Jules hooked a bus, which just smoked him. 20m run straight upstream, through the strongest water ( flow) and wrapped him in the reeds.  :sadd It was awesome to watch though w;k

Rory's bus was a classic. Hooked, screeeeeeeeccccchhhhh, look again and it's faaaaar away. Straight upstream, winding it's way around a few rocks at the top just to add insult.

After having witnessed Jule's and Rory being smoked I didn't feel too bad about been smoked 3 times myself. duh

At least Rory got one in the net. :happ:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: schloshd1 on November 29, 2010, 09:03:48 PM
Ja, there are some big fish there. If I have my bearings correct from the pic of Rory, about 30-40m to his right and slightly upstream is where this pic was taken.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: diamonddogs on November 30, 2010, 08:06:29 AM
Big big fish at Eastco. I found my own honey hole closer to the camping site. Or maybe it is because I am scared to cross the main island in case that moerse likkewaan attacks me:D

Check out the Eastco report on this link:

http://www.weizterfish.com/forum/blog.php?do=list&page=3 (http://www.weizterfish.com/forum/blog.php?do=list&page=3)

Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on November 30, 2010, 10:11:45 AM
......Or maybe it is because I am scared to cross the main island in case that moerse likkewaan attacks me:D.....

No jokes, he's still there!! We watched him swim across the big pool in front of the caravan park. Pasop! :shk
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on December 06, 2010, 08:58:24 AM
Myself and Nico (monster) went back and fished Eastco yesterday. Again the fishing was pretty frustrating given the super conditions. I measured the water temp at 23 deg, vis was about 30 - 40cm, the flows were easy wading at 19 cubes. I managed to get 3 fish in the net, two yellows and a muddie and had about 5 come off the hook. I was mainly fishing a bastardised czech nymphing technique and a two fly, control and point rig. The fish weren't holding in any specific water, the bigger yellow was in about waist deep very fast water, the smaller yellow and the muddie were in about thigh deep water, holding just off the fast water seams. Flies that produced were the "Humpy's Favourite" on control, and a size 14 tan coloured hydropsyche caddis larva on the point.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on December 07, 2010, 08:42:26 PM
Nice report back Rory.  :tkx:

I have been getting constant report backs over the last 4 weeks of the fishing at the Italian's place, and all have been very good.

My contact however knows those waters like I know GVP,so it could be the result of "local knowledge".

I'm now torn between the 2 venues for this coming Sunday. Any preferences ????? :cnfzd  fshg w;k
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: schloshd1 on December 08, 2010, 06:12:11 AM
Nice report back Rory.  :tkx:

I have been getting constant report backs over the last 4 weeks of the fishing at the Italian's place, and all have been very good.

My contact however knows those waters like I know GVP,so it could be the result of "local knowledge".

I'm now torn between the 2 venues for this coming Sunday. Any preferences ????? :cnfzd  fshg w;k

That's a place that I would really like to check out! However, I will be camping at Strydoms' with SWAMBO and a mate this weekend so fishing the Italians will have to wait. BTW Herman, you have PM on Flytalk, I have a cunning plan . . .  w;k
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on December 08, 2010, 07:50:35 AM
That's a place that I would really like to check out! However, I will be camping at Strydoms' with SWAMBO and a mate this weekend so fishing the Italians will have to wait. BTW Herman, you have PM on Flytalk, I have a cunning plan . . .  w;k

If you're camping this weekend, that means its going to rain for sure!! LOL! What happened to the Boskop trip?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: schloshd1 on December 08, 2010, 08:18:45 AM
If you're camping this weekend, that means its going to rain for sure!! LOL! What happened to the Boskop trip?

Claudia's decided to join and she really likes it at Strydoms' for some reason . . .  Besides , Strydoms is a bit more sheltered from the inevitable rain . . .
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Monster on December 09, 2010, 09:41:20 AM
Hi Rory, Thanks for Saturday. It was good. Atleast I know those flies will work. I want to try and hit the water on Sunday but will see what the week end holds.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on December 09, 2010, 09:43:56 AM
Nico,
 :welc:


About bloody time !
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on December 09, 2010, 09:54:53 AM
Hi Rory, Thanks for Saturday. It was good. Atleast I know those flies will work. I want to try and hit the water on Sunday but will see what the week end holds.

No problemo man. This weekend is out for me fishing wise, but I'm on leave from this weekend, we must make a plan!

Nico,
 :welc:


About bloody time !

Ja what took you so long?? w;k
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Monster on December 09, 2010, 10:00:26 AM
What can I say Gents, good things are scarce
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Monster on December 09, 2010, 10:01:38 AM
I see there is a social on Sat? Are you going?
Homie I still owe you some topshot from my overwind last time.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on December 09, 2010, 10:07:10 AM
I see there is a social on Sat? Are you going?
Homie I still owe you some topshot from my overwind last time.

Ja I'll be there, go check the link and put your name on the list!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Monster on December 09, 2010, 10:16:44 AM
Done!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on December 09, 2010, 10:30:43 AM

I see there is a social on Sat? Are you going?
Homie I still owe you some topshot from my overwind last time.


 :hyst: :hyst: :hyst:  Yup, I remember !


see you there !
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Monster on December 09, 2010, 10:38:13 AM
You should put in an order. Homie
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on December 09, 2010, 10:46:23 AM
Nah ! All good bru !
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Monster on December 09, 2010, 10:54:12 AM
Cool Homes, I owe you a beer!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on December 09, 2010, 11:14:53 AM
Cool Homes, I owe you a beer!
:resp: :tkx:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on December 09, 2010, 08:53:48 PM
It will be the Italian's. Nico if you want to join ( as well as anyone else who's interested ) please feel free to come along. :sml:
If you need directions phone me. 078 801 0077. w;k
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on December 17, 2010, 09:32:54 AM
Guys, if anbodys planning on fishing the Vaal below the Barrage, I'm afraid you might as well cancel. The flow rate is currently at 1200 cubes!!! Normally any flow over 40 to 50 is considered "tricky". So if you going down to the river please be really careful!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Monster on December 17, 2010, 09:42:14 AM
Eish, sounds like the rive is going to be out of commision for a while. Rory do you have any lekker patterns to tie in the mean time.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on December 17, 2010, 09:50:52 AM
Eish, sounds like the rive is going to be out of commision for a while. Rory do you have any lekker patterns to tie in the mean time.

Remember that CDC technique Darryl showed us? I've been adapting my standard black mayfly that I use on the vaal to incorparate some CDC - they looking good!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: schloshd1 on December 17, 2010, 09:54:09 AM
Above the barrage up to the dam is still very fishable, outflow from the the dam is about 15 cubes and the dam itself is less than 90% capacity so the outflow should remain stable.
I'm fishing tomorrow  :happ:

PS  as Rory mentioned, below the barrage is OUT, don't even try it.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Monster on December 17, 2010, 09:57:25 AM
Sounds, very good Rory. Where are you going tomorrow Sclossy?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on December 17, 2010, 10:01:19 AM

......I'm fishing tomorrow  :happ:.....


Lucky sods. Please spare me a thought as I move furniture tomorrow!! swr swr
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: schloshd1 on December 17, 2010, 10:03:44 AM
Sounds, very good Rory. Where are you going tomorrow Sclossy?

Fishing the Italian's with OMR. You're more than welcome to join.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Quickbite on December 17, 2010, 10:24:38 AM
Above the barrage up to the dam is still very fishable, outflow from the the dam is about 15 cubes and the dam itself is less than 90% capacity so the outflow should remain stable.
I'm fishing tomorrow  :happ:

PS  as Rory mentioned, below the barrage is OUT, don't even try it.

Howsit- which venues are above the barrage? thanks
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on January 04, 2011, 09:56:17 AM
Just a quick update on the Vaal flows: I've been informed via email that Randwater opened another 2 gates at the Vaal dam at 07h00 this morning, and then another one at 09h00. That will realease approximately 800 cubes from the dam and the outflow from the Barrage will be increased to around 1000 cubes. If anyone had plans to fish the Vaal river, at these flows it will be impossible. Comfortable wading, in general, is anything lower than 40 - 50 cubes! Pasop!! According to the DWAF website, the Vaal dam is currently 102% full.

Looks like thats the fishing poked for another month! swr swr <: <:


Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Poenskop on January 04, 2011, 10:22:21 AM
Looks like Sterkies is the only option now. :sadd
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: AdrianPowrie on January 04, 2011, 10:26:45 AM
Flytying afternoon perhaps?? :rck"
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Poenskop on January 04, 2011, 10:38:57 AM
Give that man a Bells!!! :hehe:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on January 04, 2011, 10:44:54 AM
Give that man a Bells!!! :hehe:

Or maybe an Uitkyk 10 year old???? :hnthnt:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Poenskop on January 04, 2011, 12:53:08 PM
No!! That is for me :happ:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on January 04, 2011, 01:03:22 PM
No!! That is for me :happ:

 :hyst:
I've still got a bottle of "Washburne and Crowe" 5 year old that I've been keeping for exactly this kind of occasion! How does this Saturday afternoon sound?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Poenskop on January 04, 2011, 03:23:59 PM
I'm in Bloem again this weekend for a wedding :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:
We will have to find a alternative weekend. I will give you a call next week.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: AdrianPowrie on January 04, 2011, 03:48:47 PM
So because you have other arrangements we will have to keep your stash safe :hnthnt:

Rory, let me know if you are keen otherwise I might give the wheels a bit of a spin to dullies for Saturday & camp and come home on Sunday...
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: schloshd1 on January 04, 2011, 04:38:03 PM
So because you have other arrangements we will have to keep your stash safe :hnthnt:

Rory, let me know if you are keen otherwise I might give the wheels a bit of a spin to dullies for Saturday & camp and come home on Sunday...

let me know if you go through, I'm staying the Duck and Troot from Friday-Sunday
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on January 04, 2011, 09:45:35 PM
Hi all, I've just been on the DWAF site and addedup the inflow to the Vaal Dam. It's currently 2000 tons/second and rising. Add to that the 700 tons from the Klipspruit, and no reading from the Suikerbos, I pedict flows OVER theBarrage of in excess of 3000 tons, as per last year this time.  :unhap

Unless you want an eventfull, and bone breaking trip to Oranjemond, in record time, STAY OFF THE VAAL/ORANGE.

I can see Douglas being flooded again. :sadd
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on January 17, 2011, 10:22:43 PM
Hi Guys,
Last Sunday I put a small theory to the test and fished the Vaal at flows of in excess of 500 tons. I was well pleased, got 3 yellows and 2 muddies.
All of the fish except 1 yellow (  a rubberlips of around 2kg ) were under 500g.
This proved 3 things.
Firstly fish feed whatever, secondly the babies are streetwise ito floods, thirdly look for a venue, that when flooded, ( or high water ) has a  gently sloping terrain that you would normally walk over to get to the water in normal flows.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory mundy on January 18, 2011, 06:26:59 AM
there are a lot of dead fish floating around in the barage again not nice and the water is seriously dirty.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on January 18, 2011, 04:10:01 PM
Hi Guys,
Last Sunday I put a small theory to the test and fished the Vaal at flows of in excess of 500 tons. I was well pleased, got 3 yellows and 2 muddies.
All of the fish except 1 yellow (  a rubberlips of around 2kg ) were under 500g.
This proved 3 things.
Firstly fish feed whatever, secondly the babies are streetwise ito floods, thirdly look for a venue, that when flooded, ( or high water ) has a  gently sloping terrain that you would normally walk over to get to the water in normal flows.

Super stuff Herman. What flies were producing?
PS: Sorry I couldn't join you Sunday, I was a litlle delicate after the "fly tying" on Saturday....... :pot:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on January 19, 2011, 09:51:02 PM
Super stuff Herman. What flies were producing?
PS: Sorry I couldn't join you Sunday, I was a litlle delicate after the "fly tying" on Saturday....... :pot:

All fish were caught on a yellow/lime flexi floss control fly # 10, TIED ALA  Rory "red Humpy special " but with a slimish body ( only 12 or so  wraps of 0.20 lead ) and a 3.5 mm tungsten bead.
I had to add a fairly split at the dropper connection to get the whole rig down though.
What was interesting that I changed point flies a about 10 times, with absolutely no takes . ?????
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: schloshd1 on January 20, 2011, 06:16:07 AM
All fish were caught on a yellow/lime flexi floss control fly # 10, TIED ALA  Rory "red Humpy special " but with a slimish body ( only 12 or so  wraps of 0.20 lead ) and a 3.5 mm tungsten bead.
I had to add a fairly split at the dropper connection to get the whole rig down though.
What was interesting that I changed point flies a about 10 times, with absolutely no takes . ?????

did you try adding another one of the control flies that was working as a point fly?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on January 21, 2011, 11:15:50 AM
A quick update on the Vaal flows. The Vaal dam is down to 97% full and the flows have dropped big time, but at over 200 cubes, still way to high to fish most spots. If anyone is heading to the Vaal remember to please check the flows on the dwaf website:

http://www.dwaf.gov.za/Hydrology/rtmain.aspx (http://www.dwaf.gov.za/Hydrology/rtmain.aspx)

"Outflow from Vaal" dam will tell you how much water is being released, "Vaal at Lethabo" is the flow past the power station outside Vanderbijl and "Vaal at Goose Bay Canyon" is the flow between the Barrage and Parys. Please use these figures as an indicator to wading. Generally speaking, flows of 40 and less are prefered!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on January 21, 2011, 11:45:16 AM
Thank you Rory!
Will have to give you  :beer: next time I see you
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on January 21, 2011, 02:38:19 PM
No problemo Pieter!
Those flows can change pretty rapidly (no pun intended) and we don't want anybody ending up with an unplanned drift to Upington! :shk
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on January 21, 2011, 02:40:36 PM
Saw a boat come loose from its mooring during the flood, not a pretty at all
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on January 23, 2011, 08:56:26 PM
OMR, Rory, Schlossie, Bryan, Jan & I visited location X today. The flows were half of last week which made the fishing a bit od a search issue.

Jan was fishing pap from the bank, into waist deep water, and cleaned up. :resp: He got 7 juvie yellows and one very  respectable carp. :happ:

Between us 5 f/f we had a few "on offs" as well as 5 fish landed. 4 out of the 5 were sm yellows. :vio

High water levels se moer. :crzy :hehe:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: G!enn on January 23, 2011, 09:11:13 PM
OMR, Rory, Schlossie, Bryan, Jan & I visited location X today. The flows were half of last week which made the fishing a bit od a search issue.

Jan was fishing pap from the bank, into waist deep water, and cleaned up. :resp: He got 7 juvie yellows and one very  respectable carp. :happ:

Between us 5 f/f we had a few "on offs" as well as 5 fish landed. 4 out of the 5 were sm yellows. :vio

High water levels se ** . :crzy :hehe:

Great stuff, Herman  :sml:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on January 25, 2011, 10:06:23 PM
Thanks  Glenn, it's a theory that I ahve been testing for about a month or so. :sml:

As I said in one of your earlier diaries posts, KNOW YOUR VENUE. This applies specifically to the terrain above the normal water line. i.e. If the water pushes up 5 -  10  metres, where , if anywhere, will there be water that the fish wil "retreat" to, but still be able to feed. Fish have to eat after all,other than die.

Would like to try my theory on a few other venues, flows permitting. :lolo:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: G!enn on January 25, 2011, 10:08:49 PM
Thanks  Glenn, it's a theory that I ahve been testing for about a month or so. :sml:

As I said in one of your earlier diaries posts, KNOW YOUR VENUE. This applies specifically to the terrain above the normal water line. i.e. If the water pushes up 5 -  10  metres, where , if anywhere, will there be water that the fish wil "retreat" to, but still be able to feed. Fish have to eat after all,other than die.

Would like to try my theory on a few other venues, flows permitting. :lolo:

You obviously know what your doing.. follow your own heart!

+1 credit for you!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on January 25, 2011, 10:15:06 PM
Thanks Glenn. Hopefully the flows below the Barrage will drop to around 200 tons for this weekend . If so I have a venue in my sights. :happ:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Gerhard on January 26, 2011, 06:37:42 AM
Thanks Glenn. Hopefully the flows below the Barrage will drop to around 200 tons for this weekend . If so I have a venue in my sights. :happ:

Its still way over 500 cumex and with the rain falling this morning it may stay that way for a while

http://www.dwaf.gov.za/Hydrology/rtmain.aspx (http://www.dwaf.gov.za/Hydrology/rtmain.aspx)

But it look like the next week no rain has been predicted...  :happ:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on January 26, 2011, 12:41:17 PM
Flow is at 1000 tons per second, heard about two chaps braving lesser flow that came out 2km later
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on January 27, 2011, 09:33:58 AM
.....As I said in one of your earlier diaries posts, KNOW YOUR VENUE. This applies specifically to the terrain above the normal water line....

What Herman says cannot be stressed enough! If you've never fished a venue don't even try to go fish in these big flows. Even having fished said venue numerous times before, I was as nervous as hell with that water raging past - I never went past "ball"depth!!! Scary stuff!! Personally I don't think I'll fish in big flows again, this water gives the term "The Vaal Shuffle" a completely new meaning! :shk
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on January 27, 2011, 08:49:22 PM
.- I never went past "ball"depth!!! Scary stuff!! Personally I don't think I'll fish in big flows again, this water gives the term "The Vaal Shuffle" a completely new meaning! :shk

Rory is quite right here. I'm fairly used to wading strong water, and the GOLDEN  RULE is,  if you feel uncomfortable or uncertain about your footing,or the water is lifting your back leg whilst wading "crab wise" across or up, then back off and get back.

Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on February 06, 2011, 06:20:54 PM
I got the opportunity to sneak out to location X this morning with Jan and Bryan.

It seems that more blokes are riding around looking for venues, as by 11:00 there  were 7 ohter f/f onthe water swr.

Everyone got fish, as far as I could see.

My first 2 were on the control ( # 10 olive flexi flos with a pink thorax, aka Rory's Red Humpy. The rest were caught on a #16 V olive rib caddis with peacock herl as the thorax.

How the hell those fish saw that fly in very muddy water beats me?

But hey, a fish landed is a blessing  (clap)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: G!enn on February 06, 2011, 06:38:25 PM
Fab stuff, Herman .. Good to see @ least you caught.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on February 07, 2011, 08:36:12 AM
I got the opportunity to sneak out to location X this morning with Jan and Bryan.

It seems that more blokes are riding around looking for venues, as by 11:00 there  were 7 ohter f/f onthe water swr.

Everyone got fish, as far as I could see.

My first 2 were on the control ( # 10 olive flexi flos with a pink thorax, aka Rory's Red Humpy. The rest were caught on a #16 V olive rib caddis with peacock herl as the thorax.

How the hell those fish saw that fly in very muddy water beats me?

But hey, a fish landed is a blessing  (clap)

Nice going Herman! It is amazing how the fish pick up the flies in dirty water! Now you see why I like size 18's in clean water!!  :hnthnt: what were the flows at? 600?? :craz: :resp:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: schloshd1 on February 07, 2011, 09:16:02 AM
Nice going Herman! It is amazing how the fish pick up the flies in dirty water! Now you see why I like size 18's in clean water!!  :hnthnt: what were the flows at? 600?? :craz: :resp:

If you like #18s in "clean" Vaal water then you have to give Sterkies a visit, you will be raiding my size 32s. I was blown away by the water clarity there.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on February 07, 2011, 09:18:59 AM
If you like #18s in "clean" Vaal water then you have to give Sterkies a visit, you will be raiding my size 32s. I was blown away by the water clarity there.

Eish I'll need to stock up on 6x and 7x.....
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on February 07, 2011, 10:27:26 PM
Nice going Herman! It is amazing how the fish pick up the flies in dirty water! Now you see why I like size 18's in clean water!!  :hnthnt: what were the flows at? 600?? :craz: :resp:

Yup, the flows were just under 700, however the bay was still quiet with a bit of a back eddy. The channel that we fished last time was a no go, but a new one had developed right against the first row of Bluegums. w;k

I see that the release has now droppped to 57 ( all  sluices closed ) and Goosebay is down to 220 odd, so the normal venues could be fishable this weekend.  (clap) (clap)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on February 08, 2011, 07:43:46 AM
I see that the release has now droppped to 57 ( all  sluices closed ) and Goosebay is down to 220 odd, so the normal venues could be fishable this weekend.  (clap) (clap)

AT LAST!!!!! Some good news! :happ: :happ:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on February 08, 2011, 09:00:00 PM
AT LAST!!!!! Some good news! :happ: :happ:
Dam release tonight still 57 and Goosebay down to 87. :happ:

We are fishing this Sunday. Venue still to be decided on flows closer to the time. fshg
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: G!enn on February 08, 2011, 09:02:41 PM
Dam release tonight still 57 and Goosebay down to 87. :happ:

We are fishing this Sunday. Venue still to be decided on flows closer to the time. fshg

Hope you guy's have good weather this sunday.. Jezz this sundays fishing for me is going to be Torrential rain and wind again!

You have PM Herman.  :sml:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on February 13, 2011, 01:56:31 PM
Bryan, Jan and I fished Strome this morning. Flows were around 110 when we started and dropped to around 100 by the time we finished.

The visibility must have been 6cm max. :unhap

I see the pumphose has gone, removed by the floods or by the owner, I don;t know. None of the usual rocks were visible, just a solid sheet of  water  from the bank to the island.

There were still rocks and rapids up river towards Streetwise, which I see from a board at the entrance is now open to the general piblic for flyfishing , camping etc. w;k

Wading was indeed tricky, there are quite a few trees/branches etc. trapped under the surface.
Looking at the debris in trees on the island, I reckon the river was a good 6 - 10 metres above todays level at the height of the flood. There was debris as high up as the pandokkies fences.:eek:

The fishing ???????. Well I caught : a cap, ( minus a head thank goodness :eek: ), a plastic bag, 4 trees (submerged ), and a gizillion rocks.

Bryan fared better I think, he got 2 gazillion rocks, and 5 submerged trees, and 2 or 3 trees on the island.:D:D

Jan was bait fishing in a little back eddy below the large willow, and got about 9 fish in all. A few nice yellows on worm ( untill he ran out of them :confused: ) and then some carp and juvenile sm on his secret pap mix.:D:D

All in all, another GREAT morning on the Vaal.:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on February 14, 2011, 08:06:31 AM
Hope you guy's have good weather this sunday.. Jezz this sundays fishing for me is going to be Torrential rain and wind again!

You have PM Herman.  :sml:

Glenn you going join us on the vaal sometime?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on February 14, 2011, 08:35:22 AM

.....The fishing ???????. Well I caught : a cap, ( minus a head thank goodness :eek: ), a plastic bag, 4 trees (submerged ), and a gizillion rocks.

Bryan fared better I think, he got 2 gazillion rocks, and 5 submerged trees, and 2 or 3 trees on the island.:D:D......


Fright fully stubborn on a flyrod those rocks!! :crzy
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: G!enn on February 14, 2011, 10:00:07 AM
Glenn you going join us on the vaal sometime?

Of course.. Carp & cats in there?

O by the way.. as I was expecting a bad day fishing yesterday weather wise.. They got it wrong! Sunny blue skys all day with clouds coming over in the evening time  duh
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on February 14, 2011, 10:42:12 AM
We've been having the carp and the catfish
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on February 27, 2011, 04:18:39 PM
Seeing that all of the usual miscreants had prior arrangements, Jan and I took a drive out to Erina today.

It would seem that the "new" owners of 2 years have basically given up. The gates were unmanned, as was the rest of the premises as far as we could see. :sadd

The flows were around 45 or so, however the water is still the same khaki colour as the above the barrage venues.

I managed 3 muddies in total. 2  in the muddie hole on my red bare hook special, and one below that in the faster water against the reeds, on a charteuse, flashback nymph.

I was rather surprised to see 4 other f/f ( also from the Vuildriehoek ) there, but alas could not see if any of them got anything.

Jan did ok on the bank with worms, claiming a carp, barbel, sm yellow, muddie and a very respectable moggel. :resp:

All in all another great morning on the Vaal. :clwn w;k

Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: G!enn on February 27, 2011, 06:38:26 PM
Great stuff, Herman .
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: WalkersKiller on February 27, 2011, 06:40:52 PM
Great to hear Herman  (clap)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: schloshd1 on February 27, 2011, 06:49:06 PM
It's sad to hear that the place is becoming derelict, it really has a lot of potential to become something along the lines of Oord Nebo. I would guess that the islands are completely flattened after the floods. On a positive note, at least you got a few fish. What was the vis like?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on February 27, 2011, 07:31:44 PM
Andrew, you are right ito the islands, Just bare rock at the moment,
The fish were in good nick, although my last muddie was very "light" in colour, almost a light grey  :cnfzd
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: schloshd1 on February 27, 2011, 07:38:53 PM
Sounds like one the muddies from above the barrage. What was visibility like?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on February 28, 2011, 07:27:05 PM
Sounds like one the muddies from above the barrage. What was visibility like?

Vizabiity probably around 10cm :shk :shk
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Hooch on February 28, 2011, 08:29:13 PM
Gents, any one in the northen area wana take a half broken man to the vaal?
We need a big vehicle for this as I'm casted to my thight!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on February 28, 2011, 09:23:50 PM
Gents, any one in the northen area wana take a half broken man to the vaal?
We need a big vehicle for this as I'm casted to my thight!

Hooch, if I could I would. My van with back seats and front passenger down would let you sleep all the way. w;k

However, the question is : how the hell you gonna fish being in a cast up to the hip. :cnfzd :shk
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on February 28, 2011, 09:27:33 PM
Now that I think about, I'm sure Adrian has access to a Hoochmobile.  :crzy

Don't know if he's joining us or not. :cnfzd

Maybe the wedding plans are still interfering with his fishing. :crzy
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on March 01, 2011, 07:54:28 AM

.....Maybe the wedding plans are still interfering with his fishing. :crzy.....


When theres wedding plans, theres no fishing. Period.  :crzy :pot:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: G!enn on March 01, 2011, 10:00:34 AM
What's the river condition's like at the minute Herman ?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on March 01, 2011, 05:11:46 PM
What's the river condition's like at the minute Herman ?

Glenn, the flows are ok at around 47 cubes, in fact almost perfect flows.

The water however is still very silty, with visability around 10 cm or so. This means that you have to virtually drift the fly onto the fish's nose in order for it to be seen.
There is also a fair amount of smaller branches, twigs, and even some trees snagged on the bottom among the rocks.
What it amounts to is tough fishing with loosing a lot of flies.

But hey, who's complaining ?? We bin fishing man.  fshg fshg fshg
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Monster on March 07, 2011, 07:39:26 AM
Hi Gents

Thank you all for an awesome Saturday, good company ecellent grub and a couple of nice fish!!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Fishwhisperer on March 09, 2011, 09:29:18 AM
 :ayb The Vaal is so nearly back to normal...little murky but oh so fishable...going again this weekend!! fshg Flow rate down to about 20! Fish might even start spawning again so be careful out there!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on March 13, 2011, 04:09:52 PM
I dusted off the Ark and took a morning trip to one of my favourite venues, GVP this morning.

Flows were low, around 25 and visibility around 30 cm's, which is almost normal for this venue.

Went upriver ( as per normal ) past the first reef of the old Fish Eagle, to the second reef and fished the "old" Golden corner. Firstly, it's no longer a corner ( the floods saw to that ) and it's no longer Golden. It's a new MUDDIE HOLE.  :cnfzd :clwn.  Got 9 muddies and my one and only SM yellow here.

Drifted down to the old muddie hole and only got 2 in 30 minutes.

Drifted down to the small riffles where we pull the boats through and got another 2 muddies, with the last one being the biggest of the day at 2.2kg.

My hat's off to Koos, for a beutifull rod build on the 5# Scott. (clap) (clap) Although very supple, and sensitive, that rod has some seriooooouuuusss backbone.
I had a 180 deg bend in that rod on numerous occassions today, and not even the smallest creak. I LIKE IT :happ: :happ:  Sorry Rory, but if you snooze, you looze :crzy :crzy.
I'll let you fish with it though :sml: :sml:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: schloshd1 on March 13, 2011, 05:10:35 PM
Nice one Herman, glad to hear you got a few fish and the viz is improving.
 OMR and I fished Eastco yesterday and viz was still around 10cm and flows were very low. Only really fished for a few hours in the morning and we got 1 fish each and a few on offs , all in very fast water. Damien and Angi plus a few of their mates came through a bit later in the day and camped over, not sure how they did.
Korrie was doing his thing there and we caught up with Tye, Bryan and a few others.

Crongrats on the purchase of the Scott, if it fishes anything like my 3 weight SAS then it's a real beaut.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on March 13, 2011, 05:22:42 PM
Nice one Herman, glad to hear you got a few fish and the viz is improving.
 OMR and I fished Eastco yesterday and viz was still around 10cm and flows were very low. Only really fished for a few hours in the morning and we got 1 fish each and a few on offs , all in very fast water. Damien and Angi plus a few of their mates came through a bit later in the day and camped over, not sure how they did.
Korrie was doing his thing there and we caught up with Tye, Bryan and a few others.

Crongrats on the purchase of the Scott, if it fishes anything like my 3 weight SAS then it's a real beaut.


The normal mornings fishing then. :hehe: :hehe:

The rod is sweet, but was purchased for winter dry fly fishing. I just had to test it's capabilities today, and must say I'm very, very happy.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: schloshd1 on March 13, 2011, 05:29:39 PM

The normal mornings fishing then. :hehe: :hehe:

The rod is sweet, but was purchased for winter dry fly fishing. I just had to test it's capabilities today, and must say I'm very, very happy.

Ha ha, yep. Although we did stay until around 4pm, mostly discussing Tye's chrome dome and watching little silvers picking off dead terrestrials in the scum line in the big pool.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on March 14, 2011, 08:14:32 PM
Ha ha, yep. Although we did stay until around 4pm, mostly discussing Tye's chrome dome and watching little silvers picking off dead terrestrials in the scum line in the big pool.

OMG, don't tell me Tye actually got his boots wet. :shk :shk :shk
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on March 20, 2011, 03:59:05 PM
Craig ( Lichia Amia ), Pieter ( icStuff ), Bryan ( Williaby ), Bryan's buddy Dion and I ended up going to the Italians today. The original venue was Erina, but when I got there at around 05:45 it was locked up tight. :unhap. And from what is lying around hasn't been entered for at least a week. :cnfzd . I'm afraid this could be the end of Erina as a venue :sadd :sadd

The Italans was quite full ofbank anglers, but only 1 other f/f on the water. After some cold teeth cleaning with the W/H Draught, :crzy :crzy off we went .
The flows were the normal 16, the viz the normal cr@p 10 cm's, Pieter shuddering at how much colder the water is here than below the barrage. w;k

Bryan and Dion were the first into fish, followed by Pieter. Then the new Yellow King  :clwn ( Craig ) , got his first Vaal River SM. :happ: Then his second, then his third (clap) (clap).

As far as I know the mornings results were something like, Bryan 8 SM, ( Korries course must work :hehe: )  Craig 3 SM, Dion 2 SM, Pieter 2 SM.
My score ????  :hehe: :hehe: 3 full swims ( up to chin level ), one gashed shin, 8 lost flies, 2 lost leaders. 2 small SM yellows netted and 2 lost on the take.

Another great mornings fishing. :happ: :happ:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: G!enn on March 20, 2011, 07:13:33 PM
Craig ( Lichia Amia ), Pieter ( icStuff ), Bryan ( Williaby ), Bryan's buddy Dion and I ended up going to the Italians today. The original venue was Erina, but when I got there at around 05:45 it was locked up tight. :unhap. And from what is lying around hasn't been entered for at least a week. :cnfzd . I'm afraid this could be the end of Erina as a venue :sadd :sadd

The Italans was quite full ofbank anglers, but only 1 other f/f on the water. After some cold teeth cleaning with the W/H Draught, :crzy :crzy off we went .
The flows were the normal 16, the viz the normal cr@p 10 cm's, Pieter shuddering at how much colder the water is here than below the barrage. w;k

Bryan and Dion were the first into fish, followed by Pieter. Then the new Yellow King  :clwn ( Craig ) , got his first Vaal River SM. :happ: Then his second, then his third (clap) (clap).

As far as I know the mornings results were something like, Bryan 8 SM, ( Korries course must work :hehe: )  Craig 3 SM, Dion 2 SM, Pieter 2 SM.
My score ????  :hehe: :hehe: 3 full swims ( up to chin level ), one gashed shin, 8 lost flies, 2 lost leaders. 2 small SM yellows netted and 2 lost on the take.

Another great mornings fishing. :happ: :happ:

Great stuff Herman . Well done.  :corrct:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on March 20, 2011, 07:26:20 PM
Herman and Co thanks for another whopper of a day ! The Yellow on  fly thing has really grabbed me !
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: schloshd1 on March 20, 2011, 08:55:22 PM
Craig ( Lichia Amia ), Pieter ( icStuff ), Bryan ( Williaby ), Bryan's buddy Dion and I ended up going to the Italians today. The original venue was Erina, but when I got there at around 05:45 it was locked up tight. :unhap. And from what is lying around hasn't been entered for at least a week. :cnfzd . I'm afraid this could be the end of Erina as a venue :sadd :sadd

The Italans was quite full ofbank anglers, but only 1 other f/f on the water. After some cold teeth cleaning with the W/H Draught, :crzy :crzy off we went .
The flows were the normal 16, the viz the normal cr@p 10 cm's, Pieter shuddering at how much colder the water is here than below the barrage. w;k

Bryan and Dion were the first into fish, followed by Pieter. Then the new Yellow King  :clwn ( Craig ) , got his first Vaal River SM. :happ: Then his second, then his third (clap) (clap).

As far as I know the mornings results were something like, Bryan 8 SM, ( Korries course must work :hehe: )  Craig 3 SM, Dion 2 SM, Pieter 2 SM.
My score ????  :hehe: :hehe: 3 full swims ( up to chin level ), one gashed shin, 8 lost flies, 2 lost leaders. 2 small SM yellows netted and 2 lost on the take.

Another great mornings fishing. :happ: :happ:

Well done on the fish guys (clap)

Herman, where is the closest public venue downstream of Erina, I have a cunning plan . . .  w;k
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on March 21, 2011, 04:58:10 PM
Well done on the fish guys (clap)

Herman, where is the closest public venue downstream of Erina, I have a cunning plan . . .  w;k

Andrew, YES PLEASE.  :happ: :happ: :happ:

Just below Rand Waters grounds on the opposite bank is a venue that the the bank anglers frequent. YES, YES, YES it's going to work.  :hehe: :hehe: Cred to you sir. :resp: :resp:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on March 21, 2011, 06:19:38 PM
Herman and Co thanks for another whopper of a day ! The Yellow on  fly thing has really grabbed me !

The pleasure was all ours Craig. :sml:

BTW, where's the pics ????? Pieter didn't wade all that way up for you not to post them. :shk
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: schloshd1 on March 22, 2011, 06:47:02 AM
Andrew, YES PLEASE.  :happ: :happ: :happ:

Just below Rand Waters grounds on the opposite bank is a venue that the the bank anglers frequent. YES, YES, YES it's going to work.  :hehe: :hehe: Cred to you sir. :resp: :resp:

Nice! If things go smoothly at work then I will go check it out on Sunday. Will confirm with you later in the week.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on March 22, 2011, 07:18:45 AM
Quote from:

BTW, where's the pics ????? Pieter didn't wade all that way up for you not to post them. :shk
[/quote

So after taking a Klap from a Yellow on the previous trip manage to equal the score . Check out the wet clothing at one stage I was wading till under my arm pits .
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on March 22, 2011, 07:21:43 AM
Got the bugger safely in the net , for the Rock and Surf guys note the small hook !
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on March 22, 2011, 07:27:58 AM
Handle with care, spot the wading stick ( donkey penis ) an essential part of your equipment fishing the Vaal. With out it you are sure to lose your front teeth .
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on March 22, 2011, 07:30:30 AM
The final pose . Lichia as happy as a Dutch Reformed Dominee on Honeymoon .
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: BigG on March 22, 2011, 07:39:32 AM
Very nice guys, well done  (clap)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on March 22, 2011, 07:42:02 AM
Excellent Craig!!  (clap)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on March 22, 2011, 07:52:56 AM
What an enjoyable trip.
At one stage I thought Herman was on with a huge fish, The next thing you see is him taking a dive and the line goes slack. Turn out that he was on with one of them rock fish. :lolo:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: WalkersKiller on March 22, 2011, 08:33:06 AM
Great stuff Craig!  :happ:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on March 27, 2011, 04:02:58 PM
Andrew ( Schlossie ) and I ended up at GVP today after an aborted attempt to get into Erina's waters through the "back door". ( Aborted due to fear of being stuck there due to mud, gradient & rain )

So took to the water later than usual and headed off to unfished ( by us) spots. ( BTW, the Goosebay reading on DWAF is inaccurate . It showed 35 odd this morning, the flows were closer to 65 ) which made rowing and wading new underwater moonscapes very interesting to say the least. :hehe:

I fished across the bottom of the reef and got 5 muddies in a row
Andrew went above the reef and was soon into a nice SM. I started working my way up slowly, and then Andrew had a beaut of a SM, probably 2 - 2.5kg fshg :rck"

I finally got up there and stumbled, staggered and fell around. Managed to get my only sm of the day, a nice fish of around 50cm ( 1.7 - 2kg). :sml:
I then got my smallest fish of the day, a 200cm muddie, but it was pitch black !!!! :dunno: Both Andrew and I tought it was a juvenile barbel at first.

With the drizzle turning into more than that we decided to call it a day, ( both having got our best sm of the season ) we headed back.

Visibility was probably 25 - 30 cm's. All my muddies fell to a flashback PTN with orange bead. My sm to a olive humpy's favourite control fly.
Andrews 2 sm fell to a blue sweetie nymph, with a cdc and squirell thorax.

A WORD OF WARNING. This area ties with the upper Prison venue as the worst wading area I have ever fished My shins, toes and ankles are still reminding me.  :nuts: duh :nuts:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: schloshd1 on March 27, 2011, 05:51:27 PM
Thanks for a great morning out Herman, I'm looking forward to fishing there again.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on March 28, 2011, 07:46:21 AM
( both having got our best sm of the season )

Well done Chaps  (clap)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on March 31, 2011, 07:38:51 PM
Where to fish this Sunday ??????????????

I have a hankering for Groenpunt, but access will have to be from the other side. Either that or Erina ( same scenario ) however the Barrage flows are still high. :dunno: :dunno:

Decisions, decisions. :hehe: :hehe:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on April 04, 2011, 09:40:32 PM
Fished Groenpunt on Sunday with Jaco. Although we accessed from the other side we learned from others that access is now ok from the prison side. ( 80 km detour there and back for nothing  swr swr )
Water temp WAS 19 deg ,which is very warm for this venue. Fishing was slow and difficult. Jaco got 2 muddies and a sm, myself 2 muddies, but none landed :sadd. First time I have broken off by a muddie on the leader 2 ft below the fly line  :shk.
The underwater terrain has changed subtley ( sp) , some small gullies have become deeper, some ridges have gone, but in general it's still the same. Loose rocks ( football size ) everywhere.
Still a good challenging venue. :sml:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: WalkersKiller on April 04, 2011, 10:02:19 PM
Thanks for the feedback Herman, unlucky about the muddies breaking you off  :cnfzd
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Monster on April 05, 2011, 09:07:02 AM
So, the proison is opn for busness again?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on April 05, 2011, 04:21:53 PM
So, the proison is opn for busness again?

That appears to be the case Nico. w;k
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Monster on April 06, 2011, 09:14:22 AM
Awsome, is missd the prison. Got some Chotas and its much easter wading than what I was used to. No more walking on soap.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on April 06, 2011, 09:44:42 PM
Awsome, is missd the prison. Got some Chotas and its much easter wading than what I was used to. No more walking on soap.

I'm fishing Erina on Sunday, you interested ???? w;k
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Monster on April 07, 2011, 09:22:16 AM
Herman

I'm already fishing for bass over the weekend. So I might take you up on that the weekend after this one.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on April 19, 2011, 08:30:06 PM
I fished Erina on Sunday. Arrived @ 06:30 and the gates were locked. Phoned the number on the sign and was let in at around 07:30  :unhap
Got to the water and rigged up, but was wondering about the high looking water. Anyway off I go, and managed to get about 4 metres into the first channel, when it's up, up and away...... feet gone and my first real Douglas style drift for a looong time :hehe:

Only found out yesterday the flows were 75 tons on Sunday , no wonder  :shfan  duh  duh

Got back to the bank and bundu bashed over felled bluegums up to the low level bridge.
Walked along the bridge to a suitable entry point ( thank goodness it was still there  w;k ).

I fished the edges of the faster water and got 1 small SM and 2 respectable muddies. Battled my way up the bridge again and fished the very slow/slack water in the lee of the bridge. Got a +- 2 kg carp on a #14 black hotspot nymph.

By 10:30 I was frozen to the core and decided to call it a day. Next time the hip flask comes with!!!!!!!!! :lolo: :yipee:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on April 19, 2011, 08:42:21 PM
Entertaining read as always !!  (clap) Haven’t heard of the Douglas style drift before – he he he he . Where are you fishing this weekend ?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on April 19, 2011, 08:57:47 PM
Craig, the Douglas style drift is mainly used when you wish to get to a point downstream without wading. You find fast waist deep water, face down stream and lift your feet in front of you and away you go. ( The problem comes when you want to stop  <: ).
On Sunday, it was involuntary, I misjudged the strength of the flows  duh duh :nuts:

As far as this weekend is concerned I am not sure where. This cold front has not helped at all. Being Easter all the "normal" venues are going to be wall to wall, so maybe going back to Erina or the Prison could be an option?

Will keep you in the loop though w;k
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on April 25, 2011, 07:44:34 PM
Rory, Craig, Bryan, Jan and I paid the inmates a visit on Sunday. It was still p!ssing when Jan & I left Vdb, but had just stopped when we got to the gates. We were let in after signing the book and went down to the river, but just above the weir, ( not our usual parking area. ) The reason was I wanted Jan to have some "still" water to baitfish for a change. Well he was set up and fishing before the rest arrived (clap)

We all soon got rigged up and just before heading to the f/f spot, I had to show my older boet that I can still catch fish on bait and caught a rock barbel on his one rod whilst he was busy with the other. :crzy

Damn, but I have never fished that hard before for a BLANK. :cnfzd I tried every fly I knew I had, and some I had forgotten I had. NADA, NIKS, ZILCH. :dunno:

Pleased to say that it wasn't just me. w;k Bryan lost a good fish in the top left hand pool, and Rory, true too form landed the only fish in a net for the day.

Above the weir, Jan was doing rther well on bait. 3 nice Carp and numerous small SM. The Carp all on Pap, the SM all on yellow mielies or worms.

Which goes to prove, that this venue has something for everyone, fly or bait.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on April 25, 2011, 08:41:07 PM
Never nice to blank but I must add its my 3rd trip on the fly and my first blank . I was starting to think Yellows on the fly is a given on every outing so its back to earth for me. In terms of equipment and tackle needed to cart along and the short walks still the easiest form of fishing I've done. 

Cheers
Lichia Billy Blanks Amia

Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on April 25, 2011, 09:08:25 PM
Never nice to blank but I must add its my 3rd trip on the fly and my first blank . I was starting to think Yellows on the fly is a given on every outing so its back to earth for me. In terms of equipment and tackle needed to cart along and the short walks still the easiest form of fishing I've done.  Cheers
Lichia Billy Blanks Amia

Craig, we'eve been gentle with you ( are far as easy venues are concerned ). Now that you are "hooked" it's time to "take the gloves off" so to speak. :shk :shk

I think GVP, topmost venue is on the cards for next  Sunday. 

It will probably be the the last or  2nd to last time we can fish it this "summer" season. Autumn is gone and winter is here, w;k
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on April 26, 2011, 07:31:29 AM
In terms of equipment and tackle needed to cart along and the short walks still the easiest form of fishing I've done. 

Herman no disrespect to Yellows on the fly, but have a look what I cart a long on a fly outing compared to a Rock & Surf outing.

Have a look at http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php/topic,4800.0.html (http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php/topic,4800.0.html)

Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on April 26, 2011, 09:10:44 PM
I see your point!  :shk

Imagine having a Sherpa/ Ghillie wading behind you on the Vaal with all the kit.  :crzy :hehe: :hehe: :hehe:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Monster on April 28, 2011, 07:44:39 AM
Im sorry I missed the first Groenpunt outing. Got Rorys SMS much to late.   
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on April 28, 2011, 06:26:26 PM
Im sorry I missed the first Groenpunt outing. Got Rorys SMS much to late.

Strafdop Nico!!
The river temp had dropped by 2 degrees over the week prior to us fishing which leads to fish lockjaw. I think I'll give nymphing a last go this weekend, but definately below the barrage, hopefully the water will be a bit warmer there. Anybody keen?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: schloshd1 on April 28, 2011, 07:43:10 PM
Monday! doing a pre-season drift/ LM casting practice fshg
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Williaby on April 28, 2011, 08:14:45 PM
I see your point!  :shk

Imagine having a Sherpa/ Ghillie wading behind you on the Vaal with all the kit.  :crzy :hehe: :hehe: :hehe:

You joke... I have actually seen a guy doing that when fishing at Oord Nebo. It was like having a caddy  :lolo:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on April 28, 2011, 09:20:35 PM
Strafdop Nico!!
The river temp had dropped by 2 degrees over the week prior to us fishing which leads to fish lockjaw. I think I'll give nymphing a last go this weekend, but definately below the barrage, hopefully the water will be a bit warmer there. Anybody keen?

Between Bryan & I we wil keep you in the loop.  w;k

We're definately fishing Sunday, and it looks like Bryan's Wed venue. :clwn
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on April 28, 2011, 09:24:07 PM
You joke... I have actually seen a guy doing that when fishing at Oord Nebo. It was like having a caddy  :lolo:

Now that is how to abuse your guide  :unhap.

There again if you are the guide and he pays in Pounds, then I would do it for 1800 of them for a day. :hnthnt: :crzy :hehe:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on May 02, 2011, 06:53:21 PM
Right, so Rory and I, and Flyfanatic ( Jaco ), were the only non girls ( except for a member who was doing something NEARLY as pleasant, with his missus on a dirty weekend  :rck" ) hit Silverstrome on Sunday.
Must say, it was the first time EVER that Rory has been late ! (I'll let him explain the reason, :hehe: ).
The mist was still thick, the flows near perfect, the water temp a bit cold for summer tactics, but hey, the last of the Summer tricks and off we went.
The topography, above and below water has changed at this venue after the floods, so it was go slow, go carefull.
Rory had the first, second , third and fourth hookups. All good looking stickfish, the longestabout 50cm :shk.

Meanwhile I was having fun with the plenty and persistant hard fighting rockfish, with a few stick fish thrown in as well. :cnfzd

We fished untill around 10:30 when "Breakfast" was really calling.

Rory had an on off ( I think ), I got 3 muddies, all on different flies :cnfzd, and as far as I know from an SMS  later Jaco struggled in the afternoon / evening session.

What a brilliant way to end the summer.  :happ: Good friends, only us on the river, Fish Eagles cries taunting us , and the promise of winter fishing the Vaal, ( which is VERY, VERY SPECIAL ) just around the corner. :fshn: fshg
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: schloshd1 on May 02, 2011, 07:31:13 PM
Right, so Rory and I, and Flyfanatic ( Jaco ), were the only non girls ( except for a member who was doing something NEARLY as pleasant, with his missus on a dirty weekend  :rck" ) hit Silverstrome on Sunday.
Must say, it was the first time EVER that Rory has been late ! (I'll let him explain the reason, :hehe: ).
The mist was still thick, the flows near perfect, the water temp a bit cold for summer tactics, but hey, the last of the Summer tricks and off we went.
The topography, above and below water has changed at this venue after the floods, so it was go slow, go carefull.
Rory had the first, second , third and fourth hookups. All good looking stickfish, the longestabout 50cm :shk.

Meanwhile I was having fun with the plenty and persistant hard fighting rockfish, with a few stick fish thrown in as well. :cnfzd

We fished untill around 10:30 when "Breakfast" was really calling.

Rory had an on off ( I think ), I got 3 muddies, all on different flies :cnfzd, and as far as I know from an SMS  later Jaco struggled in the afternoon / evening session.

What a brilliant way to end the summer.  :happ: Good friends, only us on the river, Fish Eagles cries taunting us , and the promise of winter fishing the Vaal, ( which is VERY, VERY SPECIAL ) just around the corner. :fshn: fshg


Great report back Herman (clap)

Four of us went for the first of this year's largie sessions/casting  practice today. We took the inflatables and went and checked out a piece of water that we had not been to before. Viz is still bad and probably will be for at least another month. Needles to say, we blanked. Still it was a great day on the water and i'm looking forward to many more blank sessions for largies on the Vaal this winter and hopefully one or two that pay off as well w;k
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on May 02, 2011, 08:48:11 PM
Thanks Andrew. Good report yourself.

My "Practise / Casting failures" start next weekend ( Sunday ).

Taking the Croc above the weir into the "canyons" behind the wires.  :craz: :nuts:

This gives me 3 options in a space of +- 500m . LM, SM on dry, as well as fast water/ slower water into the throat of the pool SM nymphs.

BET YOU I BLANK. :shk :hehe: :hehe:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on May 03, 2011, 08:42:22 AM
Lekker report as always Herman .

Looking forward too the winter challenge.    :trout: and Lm
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: diamonddogs on May 03, 2011, 09:23:58 AM
Also went out on Sunday to Arendsnes (Knew the crowds would not be there because of the weather).
Arrived at 10:00 and started fishing around 10:30. All three of us landed fish in quick succession. The flows were probably around 38 which made wading damn hard, especially since my wading stick broke off on the OTHER side of the river.

Lost plenty fish in the fast flowing rapids after 30 sec to 1 minute fights. The fish were taking the flies seriously aggressively and most fish were taken on red (jelly) brassies with orange tungsten beads.

The next two week-ends should be spectacular if the afternoon temperature hovers around the 22- 24'C mark and you fish from 10:00 to about 17:00.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on May 03, 2011, 09:04:24 PM
Great report back Mario, ( know I know who you are  :-)). Arends difficult at 38 :cnfzd :cnfzd

You've been spending too much time on your "private" small streams boet w;k :hehe:

Great to see you here.

Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: schloshd1 on May 23, 2011, 06:24:29 AM
I fished the Vaal with a mate yesterday. Ended up getting my first largemouth, caught on a black MSP stripped through the tail out of some rapids
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on May 23, 2011, 07:56:02 AM
Nice one Andrew!  :clfoto:  Where did you guys fish?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: schloshd1 on May 23, 2011, 09:13:46 AM
Thanks Rory, we fished the tail out of some gentle rapids just before a drop off, that's as much as I can say on open forum w;k
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on May 23, 2011, 09:42:38 PM
Thanks Rory, we fished the tail out of some gentle rapids just before a drop off, that's as much as I can say on open forum w;k

Well done Andrew. 1st of the winter. fshg :happ: :envy
 
 :shre:    & the invite NOT, you  :unhap
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Kumz on May 24, 2011, 05:32:36 AM
Nice Report Andrew ...  :-) (clap) ..... :shre:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: schloshd1 on May 24, 2011, 06:15:03 AM
Thanks guys.

Herman, I was taken as a guest to a private piece of water, hence no invite and no more details on an open forum. You know you it works.
Besides, I did not think that you liked to fish  full days  :crzy
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: WalkersKiller on May 24, 2011, 08:36:19 AM
Great Largemouth  :envy  :cgrts:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on June 01, 2011, 08:51:56 PM
Thanks guys.

Herman, I was taken as a guest to a private piece of water, hence no invite and no more details on an open forum. You know you it works.
Besides, I did not think that you liked to fish  full days  :crzy

If you were joining us in August you would learn what a full day & night fishing is all about. :crzy w;k
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: schloshd1 on June 02, 2011, 06:15:38 AM

If you were joining us in August you would learn what a full day & night fishing is all about. :crzy w;k

Why don't you come join us in July and give us some pointers then? w;k   What was viz like when you fished above barrage? Would be interesting to do drift up there for largies.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on June 07, 2011, 09:40:12 PM
Sorry for the late reply. The vis above the Barrage is the same, year in and year out. 20 - 30cms. It's just the temps and the flows that change.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: schloshd1 on June 12, 2011, 05:04:37 PM
Went out this morning to the same spot that I got my largie at. Unfortunately no largies today but I did manage a few smallmouth on dry and dropper. Got 6 in total and lost another 3 or 4. They all took a small brown flashback nymph fished about 2 foot below the dry. Here a few pics 


(http://i607.photobucket.com/albums/tt155/schlosd1/X%2012%20June%202011/DSCF4822.jpg)


(http://i607.photobucket.com/albums/tt155/schlosd1/X%2012%20June%202011/DSCF4830.jpg)

(http://i607.photobucket.com/albums/tt155/schlosd1/X%2012%20June%202011/DSCF4840.jpg)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: J-Rock on June 12, 2011, 05:17:19 PM
 (clap) (clap) (clap)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on August 29, 2011, 07:54:31 AM
Myself and Herman went to the Vaal yesterday morning at a venue below the barrage, to check things out for the coming season. The water is warming up nicely, I measured the temp at 15 degrees, not too bad, and the vis was about 300mm. But..... theres always a but, the Old mans beard, aka Rocksnot is already prolific. On any decent drift the flies would snag, and I spent more time cleaning flies than fishing. I spoke to a few guys who were bait fishing further down and they were sitting with the same problem. Roll on the first rains to give the river a flush! The fishing was bad, chalk up the first blank for the season, hopefully the only one!!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on August 29, 2011, 08:32:48 AM
 :shre:  bring on Yellow season. It been a long winter .
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on August 29, 2011, 08:39:46 AM
Cant wait either!
Quick question was the fishing affected by the fish-kill above the barrage?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: schloshd1 on August 29, 2011, 08:40:37 AM
Hard luck Rory. Dave fished eendekuil on Saturday afternoon and got 7 smallies.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on August 29, 2011, 11:32:17 AM
Hard luck Rory. Dave fished eendekuil on Saturday afternoon and got 7 smallies.

Unreal, thats well done!  (clap)  Did he fish saturday before the frontal system?
 
Cant wait either!
Quick question was the fishing affected by the fish-kill above the barrage?

Not sure Pieter, I think the front that came through over saturday night put the fish down. Even the bait fishermen were struggling! :dunno:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: schloshd1 on August 29, 2011, 11:53:17 AM

Unreal, thats well done!  (clap)  Did he fish saturday before the frontal system?
 
Not sure Pieter, I think the front that came through over saturday night put the fish down. Even the bait fishermen were struggling! :dunno:


Yes, he fished from around 14:30 until dark but most of the fish came in the first 45 minutes. He fished the tail out of a pool in about 1 meter of water just as it started to speed up to +- 30cm per second. He says that this sort of spot has produced consistently at this time of year for the past few years.  His mate that was fishing the glides caught nothing. Just goes to show, fish where the fish are.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: schloshd1 on September 11, 2011, 07:18:42 PM
                      Fished Strome yesterday with 2 friends. Damien and I blanked, Angi got a muddy, in the mouth and all(http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif). Water was measured at 16.7c at around 1pm. Another group fishing there got a few muddies and a yellow below the bottom reef.
  There was a massive hatch of BWOs and a handful of small +- #16 caddis   from around 3pm, fish rising sporadically in the glide water and plenty   rising in the big pool downstream.                                                                                       __________________
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on September 12, 2011, 07:27:50 AM
                      Fished Strome yesterday with 2 friends. Damien and I blanked, Angi got a muddy, in the mouth and all(http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif). Water was measured at 16.7c at around 1pm. Another group fishing there got a few muddies and a yellow below the bottom reef.
  There was a massive hatch of BWOs and a handful of small +- #16 caddis   from around 3pm, fish rising sporadically in the glide water and plenty   rising in the big pool downstream.                                                                                       __________________

Hard luck Schlosh.
 
Planning a trip this weekend. Do you think its worth getting to the water at Dawn's Crack , seems most early season fish are being landed in the afternoon?
 
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: schloshd1 on September 12, 2011, 07:55:12 AM
I think that later in the day seems to be better at the moment maybe arrive between 9 and 11 and fish until dark. A friend who fished yesterday also got his fish later in the afternoon.  Also, slightly slower, thigh to waist deep water below and above the riffles seems to be more productive at present.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on September 12, 2011, 07:58:08 AM
I think that later in the day seems to be better at the moment maybe arrive between 9 and 11 and fish until dark. A friend who fished yesterday also got his fish later in the afternoon.  Also, slightly slower, thigh to waist deep water below and above the riffles seems to be more productive at present.

Thanks kind Sir.  :rck"
 
 
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on September 12, 2011, 11:45:58 AM
IS the water getting to the point where we can wade without a wader?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on September 12, 2011, 11:54:22 AM
IS the water getting to the point where we can wade without a wader?

Water was measured at 16.7c at around 1pm =  Raisins
 
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on September 12, 2011, 11:56:21 AM

Water was measured at 16.7c at around 1pm =  Raisins

Remember you need big ones to venture into cold water so it will end up "normal"
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on September 12, 2011, 12:04:28 PM
Remember you need big ones to venture into cold water so it will end up "normal"

 
 :wtr: :wtr: :wtr: :wtr: :wtr: :wtr: :wtr: :wtr: :wtr: :wtr: :wtr: :wtr: :wtr: :wtr: :wtr: :wtr:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: schloshd1 on September 12, 2011, 12:26:42 PM
Remember you need big ones to venture into cold water so it will end up "normal"

I don't fish the Vaal without waders so the cold water does not bother me. w;k
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Cam Mundy on September 12, 2011, 12:30:13 PM
I don't fish the Vaal without waders so the cold water does not bother me. w;k

That river is so sif a condom would be a good idea too
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: schloshd1 on September 12, 2011, 12:45:12 PM
That river is so sif a condom would be a good idea too

Unfortunately you are too right. The state of the river is very sad.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on September 12, 2011, 12:50:38 PM
Unfortunately you are too right. The state of the river is very sad.

Ok does anyone have a slightly used vaal condom they want to get rid of?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on September 12, 2011, 10:35:27 PM
Ok does anyone have a slightly used vaal condom they want to get rid of?

 
Bwwwaaahhhhaaaaa :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: .
Craig, Monster ( Nico ), Rory, Pieter, and anyone else who has the raisins :crzy  I will be fishing the prison on Sunday. :-)
 
WK are you in ?????, or should I organise an easier ( catching wise ) venue ? w;k 
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: schloshd1 on September 13, 2011, 06:51:31 AM

 
Bwwwaaahhhhaaaaa :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: .
Craig, Monster ( Nico ), Rory, Pieter, and anyone else who has the raisins :crzy  I will be fishing the prison on Sunday. :-)
 
WK are you in ?????, or should I organise an easier ( catching wise ) venue ? w;k


Enjoy it Herman. I will be fishing Max's spot with Frederick on Sunday.

I'm not sure if you get stewpond yellowfish venues.  :crzy
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on September 13, 2011, 09:33:53 PM

Enjoy it Herman. I will be fishing Max's spot with Frederick on Sunday.

I'm not sure if you get stewpond yellowfish venues.  :crzy

 
Andrew, you must see the bionic, green glowing yellows coming out of Harties  :shk
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: schloshd1 on September 14, 2011, 06:22:09 AM
I can only imagine. Was going to give my 12 weight a workout on the barbel there until my waders sprung yet another leak this weekend.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on September 14, 2011, 07:33:39 AM

 
Bwwwaaahhhhaaaaa :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: .
Craig, Monster ( Nico ), Rory, Pieter, and anyone else who has the raisins :crzy  I will be fishing the prison on Sunday. :-)
 
WK are you in ?????, or should I organise an easier ( catching wise ) venue ? w;k

Uncle Herman  :hyst:
 
Looks like Rory and myself will make it on Sunday for the first session of the new season. Lets hope we can lay the perfect foundation for the next 8 months.
 
 
 
 
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on September 14, 2011, 08:53:30 AM

Uncle Herman  :hyst:
 
Looks like Rory and myself will make it on Sunday for the first session of the new season. Lets hope we can lay the perfect foundation for the next 8 months.

Ok I will see if I van make it, cant promise yet...  :vio
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Poenskop on September 14, 2011, 09:27:01 AM
Uncle Herman


I see you are also going to the NCYWG Bells festival at Christiana. Can't wait anymore.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on September 14, 2011, 11:18:05 AM
Ok I will see if I van make it, cant promise yet...  :vio

 :crzy
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on September 14, 2011, 11:20:28 AM

 :crzy

Never question the size of my
(http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/reana/reana0911/reana091100099/5921977-black-jumbo-raisins-very-big-raisins-over-white-background.jpg)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on September 14, 2011, 11:22:55 AM
Never question the size of my
(http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/reana/reana0911/reana091100099/5921977-black-jumbo-raisins-very-big-raisins-over-white-background.jpg)

 :hyst: :hyst: :hyst:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: shagnrelease on September 14, 2011, 11:41:57 AM
I used to battle on the vaal until I knitted this.

Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on September 14, 2011, 11:50:17 AM
Shag warm blooded afrikaaners dont need those, we use klipdrift and ys.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on September 14, 2011, 11:51:20 AM
I used to battle on the vaal until I knitted this.

Only you wha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha !!!!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: shagnrelease on September 14, 2011, 12:06:01 PM
Shag warm blooded afrikaaners dont need those, we use klipdrift and ys.
Liar liar.... :wtr: :wtr:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on September 14, 2011, 12:07:55 PM
Liar liar.... :wtr: :wtr:

I never said that we drink it, we toss it down our pants and then wade
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on September 14, 2011, 01:24:55 PM
Liar liar.... :wtr: :wtr:

No whos the liar ????

I found your Original Pic... !
 :fshstry
 :hyst:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on September 14, 2011, 01:30:27 PM
No whos the liar ????

I found your Original Pic... !
 :fshstry
 :hyst:

Wha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha + cred  :hyst:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on September 14, 2011, 01:32:55 PM
Now that is hitting below the belt!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: shagnrelease on September 14, 2011, 01:44:03 PM
No whos the liar ????

I found your Original Pic... !
 :fshstry
 :hyst:


 :shk :shk :shk :shk  the truth is out!!! so many chirps spring to mind, but this is a family site so let me just lean over and throw the smite switch  :hehe: :hehe: :hehe:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on September 14, 2011, 01:46:40 PM

 :shk :shk :shk :shk  the truth is out!!! so many chirps spring to mind, but this is a family site so let me just lean over and throw the smite switch  :hehe: :hehe: :hehe:

 swr swr swr

Not Fair !

 :rotfl
Now that deserves a + Cred !
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on September 14, 2011, 01:47:48 PM
OOOOOOH contenders for the next social wrestling match   :+
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Mussel Cracker on September 14, 2011, 02:47:41 PM
@ Homie..are the matches to light the " short " fuse..... :clwn
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: shagnrelease on September 14, 2011, 04:30:23 PM
@ Homie..are the matches to light the " short " fuse..... :clwn
hmmm another smite coming up!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on September 14, 2011, 10:00:10 PM
I never said that we drink it, we toss it down our pants and then wade

Blasphemy, Pure blasphemy,  :unhap :unhap swr
 
Just make sure the beers are COLD when I pick you up at 05:15 on Sunday,   :clwn :clwn
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on September 18, 2011, 08:53:50 PM
Herman, Icstuff , Rory , Paul , Chris ( soon to be members of U.A.) and myself braved the Vaal behind the prison this morning. We arrived at first light and set off all pumped to hopefully break the ice for the new season. While walking down to the rapids at the bottom of the weir I saw a lot of dead fish and the remains of a dead Likewaan . The dreaded chemical spill that hit the area a couple of week ago has done some serious damage and rather sad to see.

We entered the water and some very descriptive language described how cold the the water is a full 11'C. Hopefully none of use fishing today are planning to have kids in the near future , cause they are sure to be very small kids.
With 6 rods in the water we fished for about 2.5 hours with only one faul hooked Muddy to show for our trouble . The cold water got the beter of us and called it a day.

Lets hope the river can recover from the spill and the rains come soon.

Never the less a day well spend.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: schloshd1 on September 19, 2011, 06:28:37 AM
Hard luck guys. Just curious why you are fishing at sparrows in cold water when the fish are more active later in the day at the moment, once the water has warmed a little and the insects are more active :cnfzd :-) ?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on September 19, 2011, 06:33:11 AM
Blame Herman :-)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: schloshd1 on September 19, 2011, 06:47:57 AM
Blame Herman :-)

Ha Ha! Sounds about right. w;k Were you guys fishing above or below the weir?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on September 19, 2011, 08:00:50 AM
We where fishing below the weir.

What was worrying was the fact that there was little to no insect life below the rocks, I had to lift 5 rocks before I found one rock worm. There was also a 7+ Kg barber that bit the bullet and was giving of a foul stench.

Jan Was also doing the pap gooi thing and 2 yellows to show for his trouble, they looked fat and healthy.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on September 19, 2011, 08:03:29 AM
Hard luck guys. Just curious why you are fishing at sparrows in cold water when the fish are more active later in the day at the moment, once the water has warmed a little and the insects are more active :cnfzd :-) ?

The water at the prison doesn't warm up - not during the day! Judging by Pieters gogga recce, it looks like they suffered the same fate as the fish, theres nothing! A very sad state.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: shagnrelease on September 19, 2011, 09:51:45 AM
Hard luck guys. Just curious why you are fishing at sparrows in cold water when the fish are more active later in the day at the moment, once the water has warmed a little and the insects are more active :cnfzd :-) ?

The water at the prison doesn't warm up - not during the day! Judging by Pieters gogga recce, it looks like they suffered the same fate as the fish, theres nothing! A very sad state.
:-( :-( :-( not good
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on September 19, 2011, 09:48:28 PM
There are definately fish still there. When we arrived at the water ( above the weir ) at 06:00 there  were rises a plenty. Saw a LM chase a baitfish just 4m off our bank.
 
Yes, undoubtably fish have been killed by the pollution, but the sm that Jan caught ( above the weir ) were juvies, fat and healthy. No sores or anything.
 
This gives me hope, as with anything in nature, it's always the old or infirm that die when there's a problem.
 
Maybe my "redenasie" is wrong ?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on September 21, 2011, 10:22:39 PM
Herman where you fishing this weekend ? Is rock snot still a prob on the lower Barrage and do you think the Italians is worth a stab ?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on September 23, 2011, 03:55:31 PM
Hi Craig, The Italians will be even colder than the prison, it's right below the wall. :shk I would give that whole area a miss for about 4 weeks, not only for the water to warm up, but also hopefully for the effects of the spill to be diluted.
 
I'm fishing GVP on Sunday. Last trip there 2 weeks ago there was minimal snot, so hoping it's the same this weekend.
 
There again I think I know the venue well enough to find the spots that skip the snot. :SBOKS: :SBOKS: :SBOKS:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: schloshd1 on September 23, 2011, 04:01:09 PM
Hi Craig, The Italians will be even colder than the prison, it's right below the wall. :shk I would give that whole area a miss for about 4 weeks, not only for the water to warm up, but also hopefully for the effects of the spill to be diluted.
 
I'm fishing GVP on Sunday. Last trip there 2 weeks ago there was minimal snot, so hoping it's the same this weekend.
 
There again I think I know the venue well enough to find the spots that skip the snot. :SBOKS: :SBOKS: :SBOKS:

I may just see you there on Sunday. Will let you know tomorrow.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on September 23, 2011, 04:05:28 PM
.
.
I may just see you there on Sunday. Will let you know tomorrow.

That would be great Andrew. Bryan is trying to swing a pass as well. You may need to bring the good ship Endevour with. :-)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on September 26, 2011, 06:00:42 PM
My original plans was too fish Oord Nebo on Sat but the inclement weather in Gauteng  :rain: put me off the idea of driving for hours just to blank. The weather changed for the better on Sunday. Mrs.Lichia , the 2 Wave Garrick and myself set off rather latish to Yellowfish paradise and arrived just before 13:00.
 
On arrival I met Herman in what must be the best stocked country bottle store/office in the whole of the Vaal river system form Vereening to Kimberly . :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: Herman done well for the day and I will leave it up to him to report on.
 
The water temperature was allot warmer and dry wading was definitely possible. I started on my trusted green rock worm and went vas with in the first half hour with a young small mouth. The rest of the day was some what unproductive with only a foul hooked Muddy to show for my effort. But the Yellowfish season is starting to take shape and fish should start to come out more regularly from now on.

 Priceless family day out .  w;k
 
 Lichia at his best . :rck"
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: SAfish on September 26, 2011, 07:23:14 PM
 (clap) Super photo!  :win: Oh yes, and the water looks good too.  w;k
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on September 26, 2011, 07:43:43 PM
 w;k  Thanks Herman
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: diamonddogs on September 27, 2011, 02:56:20 PM
My original plans was too fish Oord Nebo on Sat but the inclement weather in Gauteng  :rain: put me off the idea of driving for hours just to blank. The weather changed for the better on Sunday. Mrs.Lichia , the 2 Wave Garrick and myself set off rather latish to Yellowfish paradise and arrived just before 13:00.
 
On arrival I met Herman in what must be the best stocked country bottle store/office in the whole of the Vaal river system form Vereening to Kimberly . :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: Herman done well for the day and I will leave it up to him to report on.
 
The water temperature was allot warmer and dry wading was definitely possible. I started on my trusted green rock worm and went vas with in the first half hour with a young small mouth. The rest of the day was some what unproductive with only a foul hooked Muddy to show for my effort. But the Yellowfish season is starting to take shape and fish should start to come out more regularly from now on.

 Priceless family day out .  w;k
 
 Lichia at his best . :rck"

Buy cans - accidents do happen...
Not the type of example we really want to set. Even better wait until you are off the water.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on September 28, 2011, 03:47:48 PM
Each to his own . w;k
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on September 28, 2011, 10:30:28 PM
w;k  Thanks Herman

Only a pleasure Craig. w;k
 I will give you a call the next time I'm going there. Then I will take you to wild wading and fishing :fshn: .
 
Glad to hear that the family enjoyed themselves. :-)
 
 
P.S. Are you joining us at Oord Nebo sometime this weekend ? IC Stuff ( Pieter, ) Jan & I will be pulling through on Sunday.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on September 28, 2011, 10:51:47 PM
Each to his own . w;k

Exactly. I know very well where Craig was standing, and what's wrong with quenching your thirst on the river ?
 
I always carry " Padkos ' with me, and believe me the other oke's are normally very happy to have a sluk.
 
After all what's the difference between an 8 oz Hip Flask and a beer ?. I can understand the glass issue, but Craig was within 2 meters of the bank. If he had slipped, believe me the bottle would have been above water/
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: diamonddogs on September 29, 2011, 10:58:09 AM
Ag Oom Herman. We holier-than-thou flyfishermen always got something to say about the papgooiers, or the people fishing spawning yellows or the treble hook brigade, but sometimes we have to look at ourselves.
The pic is an innocent attempt at humour but I am sorry to say it paints a very negative picture.

Glass on the river? That is something we teach 3 year old's not to do. Whether it is 1 meter into the river or 100.
I also take my Windhoek blikkie on the river, blackberry, hipflask etc. etc. And yes, I like to have a sluk on the river. There is nothing nicer than rewarding yourself with a cold beer after landing your first fish of the session. I however try and do it as discretely as possible and without leaving accidental pieces of glass in the river. You can defend the pic all you want and tell me to go screw myself but it still was stupid.   :beer:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on September 29, 2011, 11:18:47 AM
Ag Oom Herman. We holier-than-thou flyfishermen always got something to say about the papgooiers, or the people fishing spawning yellows or the treble hook brigade, but sometimes we have to look at ourselves.
The pic is an innocent attempt at humour but I am sorry to say it paints a very negative picture.

Glass on the river? That is something we teach 3 year old's not to do. Whether it is 1 meter into the river or 100.
I also take my Windhoek blikkie on the river, blackberry, hipflask etc. etc. And yes, I like to have a sluk on the river. There is nothing nicer than rewarding yourself with a cold beer after landing your first fish of the session. I however try and do it as discretely as possible and without leaving accidental pieces of glass in the river. You can defend the pic all you want and tell me to go screw myself but it still was stupid.   :beer:

Guess some guys just dont have a sense of humour....

And its amazing that you can see the pieces of glass...


Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: diamonddogs on September 29, 2011, 11:36:14 AM

Guess some guys just dont have a sense of humour....


With that Hat and ear ring - obviously you do.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on September 29, 2011, 11:38:58 AM

Guess some guys just dont have a sense of humour....


With that Hat - obviously you do.

 :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: That hat is another story... btw, you missed the pose..
Rich... coming from a guy having the joker with a painted smile as an avatar  :lolo:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on September 29, 2011, 11:47:46 AM
       
Diamond , your point on the glass near the water has some  merit and point taken. Lets move on and enjoy what we are all on the site for. The  love of fishing!!! :rck"
   
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: diamonddogs on September 29, 2011, 11:52:20 AM
Fully agree. Tight lines.

Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on September 29, 2011, 12:04:41 PM
       
Diamond , your point on the glass near the water has some  merit and point taken. Lets move on and enjoy what we are all on the site for. The  love of fishing!!! :rck"
   

Fully agree. Tight lines.

 (clap)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: schloshd1 on October 02, 2011, 06:35:30 PM
A few of us fished Oord Nebo this weekend. The fishing was great, with plenty of good sized fish landed and 2 of the group get their new PB smallmouths and I got my PB Vaal carp. I only have a few pics but one of my mates has loads more that I will post when I get them.

On a side note, the fish are spawning in all the shallow riffle water and these areas need to be avoided. I was very disappointed to seeing people fishing/wading the spawn beds despite being asked not to as well a group of people that were killing and keeping every yellow caught. Management were not interested in getting involved and due to their lack of interest in conserving our yellows I will  not support them again.

Pics are of a small yellow that I got, Quiton's PB yellow, my carp and one of Etienne's yellows

Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: schloshd1 on October 02, 2011, 06:40:47 PM
The rest of the pics
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on October 02, 2011, 08:41:05 PM
On a side note, the fish are spawning in all the shallow riffle water and these areas need to be avoided. I was very disappointed to seeing people fishing/wading the spawn beds despite being asked not to as well a group of people that were killing and keeping every yellow caught. Management were not interested in getting involved and due to their lack of interest in conserving our yellows I will  not support them again.
Lekker report and some nice fish  :rck" .  Sad to hear in this day and age you still get half wits killing fish and trashing spawn beds. <: swr
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Monster on October 03, 2011, 06:49:47 AM
Well done Gents and some awesome fish.

Doesn't oord Nebop see that if the fish are gone they might as well close their doors. As for the guys in the spawn beds and keeping everything they catch I am sure they will be the first to **** and moan when their kids are left with nothing.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on October 03, 2011, 07:56:15 AM
Nice report and good fish Andrew, that carp looks awesome! What fly did you get him on? Pity to hear about the guys fishing for spawners.  swr
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: schloshd1 on October 03, 2011, 08:26:39 AM
Thanks guys. Rory, I got it on an olive control caddis. Most of the fish this weekend were caught on olive flies.
We spoke to the venue owners over the weekend and I have emailed them this morning about our concerns. Unfortunatly  I get the impression that they just dont care :-(
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Half-Pint on October 03, 2011, 08:32:13 AM
Good to hear you guys followed up on the complaint. So many people have complaints but couldn't be bothered to actually send an e mail which means no one ever has a record of the issues
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Garrick on October 03, 2011, 10:26:44 AM
Great report and well done Schloshd1.
It is so sad to hear this.Yet again we have brainless ppl who refuses to think about tomorrow.This is the same reason i stopped fishing at a certain place.You try and educate ppl but then things turns ugly and I don;t have time for ppl like that.It really makes my blood boil that the venue owners show no interest whatsoever in conservation.Do they realise that if the yellows get wiped out,they might as well shut doors.Sad really.I think if one person complains,nothing will be done but if lots complain then maybe they will do something.
 
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: schloshd1 on October 03, 2011, 11:25:52 AM
Here are more pics from the weekend
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: schloshd1 on October 03, 2011, 11:28:35 AM
and more
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on October 03, 2011, 11:36:59 AM
 :envy   :clfoto:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Bazza on October 03, 2011, 11:50:35 AM
Dis fantasties!!!!

Nice catchings  :frid
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on October 03, 2011, 12:51:23 PM
Man! Looks like you guys had some really good fishing! Super catches there! :envy :envy
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: schloshd1 on October 03, 2011, 01:17:54 PM
Yes, the fishing was brilliant. I wont be going back there again though
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: schloshd1 on October 10, 2011, 06:17:40 AM
Four of us fished at Strydom's on Saturday. The water has started to warm up and the viz is around 50cm. The fishing was fantastic with numerous double ups and a few triple ups. Muddies were in the slower water and yellows mostly in the seams of very fast/slower water around knee/thigh deep. By far the most productive fly was a dark olive control caddis, around a size 10.

Fish of the day was Michael's bus.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: schloshd1 on October 10, 2011, 06:32:19 AM
Then yesterday I took a drive out to very different section of the Vaal well above the dam where the river is much smaller , a 3 weight rod and 5X tippet is appropriate and any fish over 1kg can be considered big.

It took me a while to find the fish and the right fly, which turned out to be a #14 tan GRHE with a bit of pearl UV dubbing for a collar, basically a caddis pupae imitation. Once I found that fly it was game on, big time. I ended up getting between 20 and 30 fish with at least another 10 that came off and who knows how many missed strikes.
Strangely enough when I switched to other flies the fish were not interested but when I changed back I started catching again.

There were a few caddis hatching so  I guess that the fish were keyed in on the drifting pupae.
Eventually I lost the only 2 of that fly that I had and did not catch another thing.

Here's a pic of my biggest for the day
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on October 10, 2011, 07:30:46 AM
Lekker report as always  :shre:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: shagnrelease on October 10, 2011, 07:33:10 AM
Awesome stuff lad!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Kumz on October 10, 2011, 07:34:19 AM
 (clap) ........ :shre: ........
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on October 10, 2011, 07:59:04 AM
Nice going Andrew, thanks for the report!!  :win:  That fish of Michaels is a proper bus! I'm trying to wangle to get to the river on Sunday, I've only had 2 sessions this season and 2 blanks!  :vio
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: schloshd1 on October 10, 2011, 09:03:07 AM
Thanks guys.

The pic of Michael's fish does not do it justice, Graham was saying that other than his pappa bear that he got a few years ago, it's the biggest smallie he's seen.

Rory, I'm fishing a little stream for LS yellows this weekend, not sure what day yet but if it's on the Saturday then I will join you for Sunday. The Vaal is producing well at the moment and it should be a great day out.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on October 10, 2011, 10:30:53 AM
Thanks guys.

The pic of Michael's fish does not do it justice, Graham was saying that other than his pappa bear that he got a few years ago, it's the biggest smallie he's seen.

Rory, I'm fishing a little stream for LS yellows this weekend, not sure what day yet but if it's on the Saturday then I will join you for Sunday. The Vaal is producing well at the moment and it should be a great day out.

Excellent! Saturday is definately out for me, but sunday is looking good!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Monster on October 12, 2011, 10:17:38 AM
Rory
 
Would you mind If I joined?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on October 12, 2011, 10:18:49 AM
Rory
 
Would you mind If I joined?

No problemo man!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Monster on October 12, 2011, 10:29:19 AM
Thanks Rory!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on October 12, 2011, 10:30:14 AM
Sorry the shock of working again has fried my brain, where are you fishing? Will try and make it as my wife has the car for the day...
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: schloshd1 on October 22, 2011, 08:45:29 PM
                                                           I spent today chasing largies. It was one of the most frustrating days that i have had fishing for them.
  I positioned myself behind a rock on some cliffs about 1.5m above some   fairly deep water with a rock pile about 15m away.I have seen fish at   this spot before and know of a few that have been caught there in the   past.
  Viz was around 60cm. Within 5 minutes I spotted a big fish +- 5kg   cruising right next to bank. I cast the fly into it's path, fish sees,   swims up to it and the last second refused the fly and slowly slipped   off into the deep water and out of sight. And this is how the next 4   hours went.
  Between that fish and a pod of 3 or 4 smaller 1-3kg fish I must have had   about 15 casts at sighted largies. Each time with them either refusing   the fly at the last second or completely ignoring it. The closest I came   to getting a solid take was one of the fish just nipping the zonker   tail of a go-to.
 
  I worked out that the fish were doing a rough circuit of the pool and   rock pile and would pass my position 2-3 times every hour and a half.   After they had past me and refused the fly I would change flies and wait   for them to come around again and every time it was the same result. I   also tried stepping down the tippet, lengthening it etc but no joy.   After about 4 hours of this I eventually lined the pod of smaller fish   and they bolted. I figured that the pool was now properly spooked so I   went go watch a mate wrestle with a pappa bear barbel.(http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif)        
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on October 24, 2011, 08:02:39 AM
Myself, Herman, BigG/Gavin and Jaco fished above the Barrage on Sunday. The water had warmed up considerably since the last time we fished there, I measured it at 15deg which is about right for the venue. Things still don't look like they've recovered from the chemical spill.  :-(  Very little insect activity and even less goggas under the rocks. The fishing was as tough as expected, I think only Herman managed a fish in the net. Jan was fishing fishing conventional above the weir and all the fish he caught were in good condition. Looks like things should be back to normal there by the end of the year.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: diamonddogs on October 24, 2011, 03:33:49 PM
Fishing seems to be better this year than last.
Managed a few nice size fish including 4 species in one day SM, Muddy, Catfish and Moggel (What a wonderfully weird fish!)

(http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6222/6276078637_f851d9958b_z.jpg)




(http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6047/6276078625_c9d2a35e33_z.jpg)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: shagnrelease on October 24, 2011, 03:53:45 PM
thats a nice fish!!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on October 26, 2011, 07:44:43 AM
Eish thats a sizer yellow!! :corrct: Mooi man!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on October 30, 2011, 05:28:42 PM
Herman, Brian and myself fished a morning session on the Vaal today. When I left early this morning it was still pouring with rain, but thankfully the weather was already clearing down at the river. The flow rate is currently very low, but the viz is super, at least 40 - 50cm. Due to the low and slow flows, fishing was a little tricky in between all the watergrass. This kind of water is tailor made for mudfish and we hammered them. They're notoriously tricky to hook, due to the position of their mouths, so a lot of fish are lost because they get foul hooked. As an example, I only managed 3 fish in the net but lost over 10 before netting. Not as glamorous and sought after as the yellows, mudfish are dogged fighters and give a verygood account of themselves - plenty of fun! I'd rather catch a brace of muddies than blank any day!
 
Rumour has it that next weekend is the Vaal-Parys canoe marathon, which means Rand water will open the sluices at the Vaal dam on Saturday and then at the Barrage on Sunday - be careful! I'll try confirm this.
 
Some pics:
1. Early morning sunrise.
2. Herman, fish on!
3. Herman with a nice mudfish, check the size of the tail, plenty power!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on October 30, 2011, 06:34:52 PM
Yes., Thanks Bryan and Rory for a great morning out.
 
We had the river to ouselves for about an hour, and then suddenly it got very crowded in a very small area. :unhap  Rory and I then started to move up towards wher Bryan was and Lo and Behold, another 3 fisherman appear out of nowhere.
 
I couldn't BUY a yellow today, but gad a gass with the muddies.  :dunno:
 
Bryan hooked 2 yellows that I know of, but kept on falling over before I could get the camera out duh (bat :hehe: :hehe:
 
2 pics, first Rory on ,
2nd the smile says "Thank G*D, not another blank ". :happ:
 
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: SAfish on October 30, 2011, 06:42:14 PM
Well done guys! It looked like you had a blast!  (clap)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: schloshd1 on October 30, 2011, 06:53:54 PM
Nicely done Rory, great report back. Where were you guys fishing? I was fishing below Parys yesterday and viz was around 40cm.

Fishing was slow yesterday, I got 1 sm in the morning and 5 or 6 after lunch. Fly that produced best was a gold bead Zak.

While fishing yesterday I saw one of the "local" kids fishing. He had an old P&P special spinning rod and a scarbourgh (sp?) reel with a fly line on it and was czech nymphing the runs. He said that he had also had a slow morning and asked if I had any split shot for him so that he could get his flies down. I did not have any with me but I gave him a few tungsten beaded flies. He tied 2 on and on his 2nd or 3rd cast he hooked and landed a +- 3kg sm yellow which he released.
I got chatting to him and he told me that "a man from Jhb" had taught him to fly fish a few years ago and taught him about releasing fish. He told me that he lives in one of the locations in the area but comes to visit his grandfather on the Vaal on weekends so that he can fish. I showed him the spawning fish and explained to him why they should be left alone, which he seemed to understand 100%, even with my pidgin Afrikaans.
He then pulled out R20 and asked if he could buy some flies from me as he did not want to beg for them. I let him take as many as he wanted and he cleaned me out of most of my control caddis, hotspots and Zaks :-) . 

He then went off to fish again and caught another 3 or 4 yellows, all released properly.

Meeting this kid and seeing how much enjoyment he got out of fishing even though he has so little and the fact that he understood the need to release the yellows was one of the best experiences that I have had while fishing.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on October 30, 2011, 07:17:25 PM
Great Stuff Andrew.
 
+ Cred for you. It's by actions like yours that we educate the future f/f.
 
Well done Boet. :happ: :happ:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on October 30, 2011, 08:24:01 PM
Well done Rory and Herman.  (clap)
 
 
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: schloshd1 on October 31, 2011, 05:52:37 AM
Herman, Brian and myself fished a morning session on the Vaal today. When I left early this morning it was still pouring with rain, but thankfully the weather was already clearing down at the river. The flow rate is currently very low, but the viz is super, at least 40 - 50cm. Due to the low and slow flows, fishing was a little tricky in between all the watergrass. This kind of water is tailor made for mudfish and we hammered them. They're notoriously tricky to hook, due to the position of their mouths, so a lot of fish are lost because they get foul hooked. As an example, I only managed 3 fish in the net but lost over 10 before netting. Not as glamorous and sought after as the yellows, mudfish are dogged fighters and give a verygood account of themselves - plenty of fun! I'd rather catch a brace of muddies than blank any day!
 
Rumour has it that next weekend is the Vaal-Parys canoe marathon, which means Rand water will open the sluices at the Vaal dam on Saturday and then at the Barrage on Sunday - be careful! I'll try confirm this.
 
Some pics:
1. Early morning sunrise.
2. Herman, fish on!
3. Herman with a nice mudfish, check the size of the tail, plenty power!

Did you guys try fishing the really fast water upstream of where Herman is standing with the muddy? The past few times that I've been there the yellows have mostly been in that fast water, including that bus that Michael got.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on October 31, 2011, 07:46:34 AM

Did you guys try fishing the really fast water upstream of where Herman is standing with the muddy? The past few times that I've been there the yellows have mostly been in that fast water, including that bus that Michael got.

Ja we tried there as well, but what is normally fast water there was only "sort of fast" water. And plenty Old mans beard in between. I hope that canoe marathon is this weekend, give the system a good flush!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on November 01, 2011, 10:47:32 AM
Flows will be up this weekend chasps, pasop!! They'll be releasing plenty water for the canoe marathon:
 
http://www.vaalcanoemarathon.co.za/Entry_Form.html (http://www.vaalcanoemarathon.co.za/Entry_Form.html)
 
But, this means the fishing should be good the weekend after!   :win:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on November 02, 2011, 09:36:53 PM
Or time your fishing well. For Sunday that is.
 
The fish feed on rising flows. They normally start opening the Barrage slowly from the Saterday evening. Be at Strome at around 05:00 fishing, you can fish the highest flow of 80 tons there if you are carefull ( around 10:00 ) . Eendekuil from around 06:00 - 11:00.
And so the "parade ' goes on, all the way down river. Remember close to and below Potch  that water will only get there on Monday.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on November 03, 2011, 10:29:59 AM
Or time your fishing well. For Sunday that is.
 
The fish feed on rising flows. They normally start opening the Barrage slowly from the Saterday evening. Be at Strome at around 05:00 fishing, you can fish the highest flow of 80 tons there if you are carefull ( around 10:00 ) . Eendekuil from around 06:00 - 11:00.
And so the "parade ' goes on, all the way down river. Remember close to and below Potch  that water will only get there on Monday.

 :shk   Fishing in rising flows makes me just a tad nervous!!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on November 03, 2011, 11:14:34 AM
A rising flow makes me excited!
(http://international.stockfood.com/pix/BIER/Y05/644258_T.JPG)


This is the first weekend that I am free again and it seems that we wont be able to fish :(
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: shagnrelease on November 04, 2011, 12:52:26 AM
A rising flow makes me excited!
(http://international.stockfood.com/pix/BIER/Y05/644258_T.JPG)


This is the first weekend that I am free again and it seems that we wont be able to fish :(
More  :wtr: :wtr:  than you can handle....
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on November 04, 2011, 10:18:35 PM
Or time your fishing well. For Sunday that is.
 
The fish feed on rising flows. They normally start opening the Barrage slowly from the Saterday evening. Be at Strome at around 05:00 fishing, you can fish the highest flow of 80 tons there if you are carefull ( around 10:00 ) . Eendekuil from around 06:00 - 11:00.
And so the "parade ' goes on, all the way down river. Remember close to and below Potch  that water will only get there on Monday.

 :shk   Fishing in rising flows makes me just a tad nervous!!

Yup I've noticed that.  :-)
 
The golden rule on the Vaal is: If you feel uncomfortable or cold where you are fishing, then back off.!
 
Do not take risks, especially if you are on your own, and even more so if it's your first trip.
You may have an experiened oke helping you, and if so, don't be hero, tell him you are uncomfortable.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on November 14, 2011, 05:04:27 PM
A whole goup of us fished the Vaal at Eastco yesterday. I picked Lichia/Craig up at sparrows and met my brother Russ, his son Luke and Pops halfway at the One Stop before meeting the rest of the guys at the river. At eastco we met up with Nico/Monster, Bryan, Wewrner and Herman.
 
Conditions wise it was blisteringly hot, the water was warm enough to wet wade and the vis was atleast 400mm. The flows were very slow, no more than 10 cubes and the river is still very low. Fortunately the snot grass wasn't an issue. I think most of the guys managed to land fish, and even a few "mermaids" came out, Nico's first "mermaid" being the fish of the day, an easy 5kgs on a size 14 hook and a 6 weight rod. I'm hoping we get an increase in flows for the 27th!
 
Pics:
1. Nico, fish on!
2. Size 14 fly.
3. The grin says it all!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on November 14, 2011, 06:14:57 PM
A whole goup of us fished the Vaal at Eastco yesterday. I picked Lichia/Craig up at sparrows and met my brother Russ, his son Luke and Pops halfway at the One Stop before meeting the rest of the guys at the river. At eastco we met up with Nico/Monster, Bryan, Wewrner and Herman.
 
Conditions wise it was blisteringly hot, the water was warm enough to wet wade and the vis was atleast 400mm. The flows were very slow, no more than 10 cubes and the river is still very low. Fortunately the snot grass wasn't an issue. I think most of the guys managed to land fish, and even a few "mermaids" came out, Nico's first "mermaid" being the fish of the day, an easy 5kgs on a size 14 hook and a 6 weight rod. I'm hoping we get an increase in flows for the 27th!
 
Pics:
1. Nico, fish on!
2. Size 14 fly.
3. The grin says it all!

Thanks chaps for a lekker day out .
 
I blanked properly  :unhap :unhap :unhap !!!! When I got home I seriously considered setting  ALL my fishing gear alight and urinating on the burning gear. Not going through a very good patch fishing wise  :-( !!!
 
Strangely I saw a 3kg plus bright orange Koi  :shk feeding in 50cm water with his whole body visible . Wonder how he got there and what damage a couple of Koi’s can do to our Yellow fish population.
 
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Half-Pint on November 14, 2011, 06:31:25 PM
I'd say less damage than your normal carp. The juveniles will be easily visible to predators and if they come from a few individuals introduced to the river it will be a v ery small gene pool resulting in excessive in breeding. Just think in a few months they will all be driving round in cortinas barefoot and toothless just like Brakpan!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on November 14, 2011, 09:44:13 PM
A great morning out , thanks to all who arrived. For me fishing was very slow, by 08:30 all I had caught was 3 sticks and a long lost landing net  :blush:
Rory's brother got the first yellow ( I think he was the first ) shortly followed by his son, witha nice fish. ( Sorry still got to download and then upload the pics. )
 
Bryan landed a nice sm , but instead of falling over, let it slip out the net before I could take the photie :dunno:
 
Deon had a few good fish on for a while, that I saw.
 
I hooked a barbel, that snapped me off. A yellow which Craig / Lichia witnessed was virtually in the net, and then gone ( Long Line Release  :blush:  ), and then "something ", which just took off straight ACROSS the river to the willows  :cnfzd  I tried to add some brakes with the finger on the line and just got a line burn. Tightened the drag and palmed the reel. 'cos by then the strike indicator was under the willows.
The "something" turns and comes straight back at me  :shk . 10ft rod up high and reeling in like mad to keep some pressure on. Side ways turn by the fish and my flyline goes sailing past me :-(
 
Do leguaans take a size 10 Humpy's Favourite  :cnfzd ?  12 lb leader snapped and not on a knot/ :dunno: :dunno:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Schallie on November 15, 2011, 07:06:22 AM
"Strangely I saw a 3kg plus bright orange Koi     feeding in 50cm water with his whole body visible . Wonder how he got   there and what damage a couple of Koi’s can do to our Yellow fish   population."

I once came across a Koi at Oord Nebo, feeding in the snot grass.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Monster on November 15, 2011, 07:20:22 AM
Hi Rory
 
Thanks for the awesome pics. That barbel gave me a seriouse run for my money. The tally for the day between Andries and myself was two baby yellows less than 10cm long also n the same size 14. Gready buggers!
 
Two mermaids for me and one for Andries.
Andries's barbel picked him up as we where wading to the shore after the morning session. He was looking forward to a nice cold ond one and was just flipping his flies without concentrating on the drift. The next second a mermaid picked him up with the speed of a dog with iets tail on fire.  It swam aroud him forcining him to do something that can only be described as a matrix move. Beding backwards and wiveling 180 degrees at the same time. A yoga teacher would have been proud.
 
Then the barbel headed down stream forcing Andries to follow him over some big rocks. Exactly where you don't want to go during a big fight with diving booties on. Anyway after a massive fight and Andries asking me if his rod was a 4 wt. The barbel came out to be lip landed.  The first hook came out and the second hook cought him in the middle of his body on the flank. So he could just turn himself side ways in the current and rest while Andries had to fight the drag. What a massive fight!
 
 
Thank you for everbody that was theresome times iets not as important where you fish but who you fish with and this trip was never short af great anglers. 
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on November 15, 2011, 08:03:53 AM
...................Wonder how he got there and what damage a couple of Koi’s can do to our Yellow fish population.

...I once came across a Koi at Oord Nebo, feeding in the snot grass.

I stand to be corrected here, but I doubt that koi or normal carp have any impact on the yellowfish at all. :corrct: Now if we start discussing Bass and Grass carp against our indeginous yellows, we open up a very nasty can of worms.....
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Poenskop on November 15, 2011, 09:07:59 AM
I went fishing near Ben Jo Saturday for a morning session with my brother-in-law. The fishing was really hard and we struggled to connect. I did manage a 1.8kg, 600g and a small 10cm yellow. I got broken off by a monster on the strike aswell. I need to tie some flies again. After Christiana and this Saturday I am seriously depleted. Will post picks as soon as I get them from the camera.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on November 15, 2011, 09:28:08 AM
......I need to tie some flies again. After Christiana and this Saturday I am seriously depleted.....

Lets make a plan, I think I've still got a bottle of William Robertsons...... :hnthnt:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Poenskop on November 15, 2011, 09:46:03 AM
Then I will have to buy some flies to show the missus :frid
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Garrick on November 15, 2011, 09:55:41 AM
When is the next trip Rory?I would love to join you guys.
don't worry Craig,I am sure you will get a monster in the next trip.If not then Ihave some grenades which will make fishing much easier for you....... :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :crzy :crzy :hehe: :crzy :crzy
Nice barbel there Monster.Must gave you a decnet revvvvvving.I got one on a size 16 fly which was about 60cm but boy was my arms sore...........I can imagine what that did to your muscles.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: diamonddogs on November 15, 2011, 10:01:40 AM
......I need to tie some flies again. After Christiana and this Saturday I am seriously depleted.....

Lets make a plan, I think I've still got a bottle of William Robertsons...... :hnthnt:

You liar - it is a bottle of Robertson - nê :hyst:

(http://www.wine.co.za/Directory/GetWinePicture.aspx?WINEID=4773&Type=Picture)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on November 15, 2011, 10:15:58 AM
When is the next trip Rory?I would love to join you guys.
don't worry Craig,I am sure you will get a monster in the next trip.If not then Ihave some grenades which will make fishing much easier for you....... :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :crzy :crzy :hehe: :crzy :crzy
Nice barbel there Monster.Must gave you a decnet revvvvvving.I got one on a size 16 fly which was about 60cm but boy was my arms sore...........I can imagine what that did to your muscles.

I will also be able to make this weekend!
What flies produced the weekend?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on November 15, 2011, 10:24:14 AM
Then I will have to buy some flies to show the missus :frid

 :hyst:
n Boer maak n plan!! I like your cunning and forethought!! Good man, strong man! :hnthnt:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on November 15, 2011, 10:25:36 AM


You liar - it is a bottle of Robertson - nê :hyst:

(http://www.wine.co.za/Directory/GetWinePicture.aspx?WINEID=4773&Type=Picture)

 :hyst: :hyst:   Whahahaha!! Too sharp!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on November 15, 2011, 10:33:48 AM
....When is the next trip Rory?I would love to join you guys....

Riyaadh, check this link: http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php/topic,7133.0.html (http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php/topic,7133.0.html)
You more than welcome to join us!
 
 
I will also be able to make this weekend!
What flies produced the weekend?

Pieter I'm not sure who's fishing where this weekend, unfortunately I have to entertain the "out laws" this weekend so I won't be fishing..... :cry:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on November 15, 2011, 10:41:31 AM
 :hehe: enjoy
I am sure herman will hit the water it is like his second home.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Garrick on November 15, 2011, 10:44:35 AM
....When is the next trip Rory?I would love to join you guys....

Riyaadh, check this link: http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php/topic,7133.0.html (http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php/topic,7133.0.html)
You more than welcome to join us!
 
 
I will also be able to make this weekend!
What flies produced the weekend?

Pieter I'm not sure who's fishing where this weekend, unfortunately I have to entertain the "out laws" this weekend so I won't be fishing..... :cry:

 Thanks Rory,Is it for the 27th November?If so I cannto make that day....damn....... :-( :-( :-(
any other day will be fine.I need some practice before I hit the Bergs form 2-9 Dec.I need to meet you if possible as I need some help.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on November 15, 2011, 10:50:58 AM
Riyaadh I think some guys are going for the whole weekend? I can only make the 27th for that weekend, although I'm working on getting there for the 26th...... :hnthnt:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Poenskop on November 16, 2011, 08:29:56 AM
I went fishing near Ben Jo Saturday for a morning session with my brother-in-law. The fishing was really hard and we struggled to connect. I did manage a 1.8kg, 600g and a small 10cm yellow. I got broken off by a monster on the strike aswell. I need to tie some flies again. After Christiana and this Saturday I am seriously depleted. Will post picks as soon as I get them from the camera.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on November 16, 2011, 08:33:43 AM
 (clap) Well done Poensie , that 1.8kg is a beaut !!!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Garrick on November 16, 2011, 09:00:45 AM
 (clap) (clap) Awesome stuff Poens.I must say that the fish looks in excellant condition hey.
 
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Manuel Junior on November 16, 2011, 09:01:55 AM
 (clap) (clap) (clap) Well done
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on November 16, 2011, 09:07:04 AM
Eish nice fish Louis!!!    :win:
 
What do you charge for lessons? They way I'm blanking this season I need serious help...... :vio :vio
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Poenskop on November 16, 2011, 09:16:48 AM
Thanks guys.


@Garrick The big one was in very good condition but the smaller one was not that good. If you look in front of the dorsal it looks like a cormorant had a go on it and it was extremely thin.


@Rory I think we need to discuss your tactics at VT on Friday. :clwn :frid
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on November 16, 2011, 09:19:13 AM
@Rory I think we need to discuss your tactics at VT on Friday. :clwn :frid

Smashing!! Sounds like a sterling idea!!   :ayb   
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on November 20, 2011, 05:40:17 PM
Pieter, ( ICStuff ) and I spent the morning at GVP. Arrived nice and early to overcast skies and windless . Soon had the boat inflated, rigged up and off we went.
The river was very low and made rowing upstream very interesting :-) Visibility was around 40cm, and water temp around 20 -22.
 
The muddies were there in force and taking mostly either a black or olive nymph. Pieter got into a few good fish, but just could not get them into the net. :dunno:
 
At about 10:00 we moved down to the muddie hole, and it was almost cast for cast and Pieter was ON. He landed not only his first ever fish on fly, but another 2 after that, and a third which was everything but landed. :happ: :happ:
 
Our tally for 4 hours fishing, Pieter hooked 12, ( including a SM ) landed 3.
Myself, hooked 14, landed 9. ( All muddies ).
 
I'm sure Pieter will forgive me for posting the pics. w;k
 
 
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on November 20, 2011, 05:46:03 PM
And a few more pics.
 
Check daai SNOR.  :shk :hehe: :hehe:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on November 20, 2011, 06:04:47 PM
Well done Pieter or is it Tom Selleck !!! :hyst:

Herman not a bad day at the office. How is the owner of GFP doing after the unfortunite incident a couple of weeks back?
 
 
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on November 20, 2011, 06:29:19 PM
Thanks Craig. Bill is recovering fairly well, but speaking to Bill Jnr. the old man looks better than what he actually is.
Hearing what actually happened makes one GRILLL, barbarious is the only word I can find to desribe it. :unhap :unhap :unhap
The old bugger is tough though, a lot of younger men would  not have survived 45 minutes of being mauled and stillfight back. :resp:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: G!enn on November 20, 2011, 09:42:26 PM
Looks like you guys have good fun when you go down to The Vaal River.

Nice CatFish on fly rod ..  (clap)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on November 21, 2011, 07:57:06 AM
Nice going Herman and Pieter!  :ayb  Those muddies are nice and fat!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on November 21, 2011, 08:00:52 AM
Thank you herman for a wonderful morning on the water. Have never had the pleasure for losing 9 fish in a row, while seeing herman vas almost all the time. The only sad part was that the only yellows we saw was the one I lost, and another that was caught by another angler. The muddies where all fat and in very good condition.

Rory I hope all went well with the outlaws
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on November 21, 2011, 08:04:09 AM
......Rory I hope all went well with the outlaws....

The strength of this mornings babalaas is in direct proportion to the ammount of personality I had to drink into them... :nuts:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on November 21, 2011, 09:56:10 AM
......Rory I hope all went well with the outlaws....

The strength of this mornings babalaas is in direct proportion to the ammount of personality I had to drink into them... :nuts:

 :hyst: :hyst: :hyst:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: schloshd1 on November 21, 2011, 10:40:37 AM
Well done on some pretty good muddies!
 
Did you guys try the top rapids or just stick to the muddy hole?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on November 21, 2011, 10:44:28 AM
We fished all over and the only thing we hooked was muddies, it was as if the whole place was a muddie hole. We fished the last 30min at the muddie hole. At times you could see schools of them in the rapids.

Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Naruto on November 21, 2011, 11:28:39 AM
Came back yesterday from a trip at the Vaal Dam. Stopped at the River in Three-Rivers to meet up with some friends fishing there. They only managed three carp between about 8 rods. All caught during the morning. I even tried baiting up one rod but didn't catch anything. Its been like this since end of winter. Very strange indeed as we ussually catch a lot of nice fish there.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on November 21, 2011, 07:27:06 PM
Well done on some pretty good muddies!
 
Did you guys try the top rapids or just stick to the muddy hole?

Andrew I went right up the top into the white water and back, ( with a decent Herman drift of about 10 metres  :blush:  ) and no sm, just muddies, everywhere. :shk
I did spook a yellow or 3 while wading, but they were definately where one would expect to find them.
Next time in that water it's single nymph, pocket water, Czech/Polish./French/Hermantor nymphing.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on November 22, 2011, 09:31:30 AM

 Czech/Polish./French/Hermantor nymphing.

I want to see the tutorial on that one! :nuts:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on December 05, 2011, 09:07:05 PM
Fished Strome on Sunday with Schlossie and young Frederick.
Frederick got his first ever 2 hookups on the Vaal on his 4th trip :happ: :happ:
 
Still needs to get them in the net, but that will happen soon. w;k
 
I managed a yellow and around 4 or so muddies. Nothing worth taking a pic of, the yellow was more silver than yellow.
I know Andrew got at least 1 yellow and quite a few muddies.
 
I had my share of Vaal Shuffles,  :blush: :blush: , I think 3 in all  :dunno:
 
Maybe the Birthday Windhoek Breakfast at 05:00 had something to do with it  :nuts: :craz: :nuts:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on December 06, 2011, 07:43:30 AM
.........Maybe the Birthday Windhoek Breakfast at 05:00 had something to do with it  :nuts: :craz: :nuts:

 :rotfl  I would think most certainly!! Lol!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on December 06, 2011, 08:24:05 AM
Herman you did quite a few shuffles the last time we fished as well, my son is willing to lend you his float suit:

(http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/2/1/9/2/7/4/webimg/464129801_tp.jpg)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on December 06, 2011, 08:43:54 AM
Herman you did quite a few shuffles the last time we fished as well, my son is willing to lend you his float suit:

(http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/2/1/9/2/7/4/webimg/464129801_tp.jpg)

 
 :rotfl
 
 
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on December 06, 2011, 09:00:22 PM
Heheheheheh, have fun guys, BUT next time we go out together, you drink what I drink AND fish where I fish. :crzy :crzy :hehe:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on December 11, 2011, 03:33:06 PM
Fished at the Parys Country Estate on Saturday morning. Not the biggest piece of river on the Vaal system but away from the crowds. We fished the area behind the 17th fairway which is basically 4 pools joined by a couple of rapids.

The mermaids ( catfish ) were very active early on and I saw some sizer fish in the 10kg plus range. The fish seemed too be hungry as I went vas with the first cast of the day landing a little Silver. I had 4 on/off in quick succession after that before landing a young Yellow, which marked the start of a very unproductive 2 hours of fishing.

Moving on to last of the 4 pools and I went vas on what initially felt like another young fish. When all hell broke loose on the water. The reel started screaming like a cat in labour and I had to hold for all I’m worth. Sizer Mermaid was going through my mind. The fight lasted for a good couple of minutes before I managed to land my first Carp on Fly
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Toppie on December 11, 2011, 04:34:54 PM
Very nice and congratulations LA, then nogal sommer a nice one at that!  :corrct: :carp:
 
PS: You must eat the fish not your rod.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: MIKE PIKE on December 11, 2011, 08:51:11 PM
 (clap) ... nice one Craig.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: REEFMAN on December 11, 2011, 09:08:56 PM
Nice fish Craig... great catch on fly!!    (clap)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on December 12, 2011, 07:38:12 AM
Excellent fish Craig!!  (clap)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: doc on December 12, 2011, 07:56:25 AM
Well done Craig excellent fish. :envy
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on December 12, 2011, 09:05:43 AM
Thats a BEAUT !!!

Well done !
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: schloshd1 on December 12, 2011, 04:08:10 PM
great carp, well done!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on December 13, 2011, 09:10:43 PM
 :envy :cgrts: :resp: :resp:
 
WEll done Craig. That is a size Carp that. :happ:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: diamonddogs on December 15, 2011, 08:45:28 AM
Well done!
Just a word of caution. The Vaalriver's water is very very sif - try not to hold your rod in your mouth or let the water come near your mouth. The water on your rod is enough to give you gyppo's for a week!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: WalkersKiller on December 15, 2011, 01:59:19 PM
Nice one Kallie!!!!!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: schloshd1 on December 21, 2011, 05:38:12 PM
My Xmas present, a custom net by Mario Geldenhyus, arrived yesterday so this morning I had a quick 2 hour session on the Vaal. I am happy to say that the net has been christened with 5 smallmouth, including my biggest of the season.
The big fish in the pic has a fork length of 47cm so that gives an idea of how big the net is.
Mario's craftsmanship is brilliant and I am very happy with the net. The longer reach and bigger bag makes netting the fish a lot easier.
 
All my fish this morning were caught on a #16 GHRE variation.

(http://i607.photobucket.com/albums/tt155/schlosd1/DSCF5266.jpg)
 
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: doc on December 22, 2011, 08:36:09 AM
What a Xmas present!!!!! And what a way to christen it :cgrts:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on December 22, 2011, 08:51:54 AM
Well done Schloshdster

Nice fish , lekker pic and a work of art of a landing net.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: doc on December 23, 2011, 07:21:35 PM
Fished Silwer strome today with Rory, Mario and Andrew. The muddies were thick and some monsters were caught in the morning with a few yellows in between. In the afternoon session the muddies were still there and a lot of little silvers.
I want to thank the guys for an awsome day on the vaal. I forgot how stubborn a Muddie can be and had a great time.
Thanks again for all the help and knowledge sharing.
Here are a few pictures of the fish we caught. Firstly my only yellow, ok maybe silver, for the day. Then a bus of a muddie Rory got in the morning session measuring 1.6kg on my net scale. And lastly my biggest muddie to date measure 2kg on the net scale.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: schloshd1 on December 23, 2011, 07:59:12 PM
Thanks for a great day on the water! Martin, that muddie of yours is a proper bus, well done!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: MIKE PIKE on December 23, 2011, 08:25:05 PM
 (clap) ... great stuff chasps , looks like u had fun and some great fish as well.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: wernerm on December 24, 2011, 01:28:32 PM
I feel left out  :cnfzd
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on December 24, 2011, 02:04:15 PM
I feel left out  :cnfzd

Then go fishing boet. w;k
 
You have a phone neh  :clwn
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: wernerm on December 24, 2011, 02:12:59 PM
Wanna come fish with me next Friday? I'll use the phone, promise  w;k
Want to fish next to you so I can show you how  :crzy
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Toppie on December 24, 2011, 05:04:16 PM
Nice one schlosd1, and beautiful net! One day you must take me along and teach me this Vaal River fly fishing thing - looks like fun!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: schloshd1 on December 24, 2011, 07:16:49 PM
Thanks! Just say when and I would be more than happy take you!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: diamonddogs on December 24, 2011, 10:23:34 PM
Thanks guys, really appreciated the day out. I think between the four of us we landed over 60 fish - not to bad me thinks.
Weather was perfect, viz was great, fish were on, and the company unsurpassed.

Was expecting the worst trying out the pool noodle stick but it turned out OK.
Thanks for the company, appreciated.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on December 25, 2011, 02:13:26 PM
Hello All. I see the flows today at Goosebay are around 50 odd tons. Must be the strorm we had in the Vuildriehoek on Friday. :shk
 
A bunch of us are going to Silwerstrome on Friday ( 30th ) for the "last cast" of 2011. This is an open invitation to everyone.
 
 Even if you don't have a flyrod, but would like to try it out, then come along. Most of us have spare tackle, ( tackle sluts that all fishermen tend to be  :hehe: :hehe:  ).
 
Come on guys and gals, lets leave the old year with screaming reels. w;k w;k
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on December 27, 2011, 10:59:40 AM

......A bunch of us are going to Silwerstrome on Friday ( 30th ) for the "last cast" of 2011. This is an open invitation to everyone.
 


Sounds good. Flows are on 84 at the moment  swr lets hope they drop!!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on December 27, 2011, 03:26:49 PM
I will join you as well depending on the water!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on December 27, 2011, 05:20:59 PM
Fished GVP todaywith Mike and Jaco. The Goosebay measurement seems to be way out  :dunno:  Yesterday Goosebay was showing 80+  and the Barrage 55.
 
Anyway we fished in flows starting at 50,and probably ending ataround 40.
 
Mike was the Cormorant of the day. :happ:   At least 9 yellows and 4 muddies. :happ:
 
None of us blanked, although Jaco got the catch of the day.
 
A veritable stomp, landed and posed for. :clwn
 
Except I just lost all my pics by not pushing the SAVE button. :blush: :blush: :blush:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on December 29, 2011, 10:38:23 PM
   
 Done the Elgro drift on Tuesday. For those who are not familiar with the  drift you are dropped off +/- 12km from the Elgro River Lodge and fish your way  back to the lodge.
   
After a lot of rain on Monday we were hoping for the best as once you are  on the water there is no turning back. The morning started a little wet but we  were all hyped and ready to go. Little did we know what awaited us!
   
We got dropped off just after 7am with our Ark (inflatable 2 man canoe),  Cooler box and 12km of river to conquer. The paddle started with a giggle and  jokes, started to flow for the first 800m or so when it became apparent that  all energy had to be reserved for the long row ahead.
   
The first stop was about a kilometer from the start with a healthy rapid on  the far end of the river. Lines were in in a flash and within minutes I heard a  hell of a racket. Thinking my mate Conrad was on with a fish , I looked up to  see the back of his head 30m down the rapid. Luckily he managed to swim to  safety. Just to remind us that any body of water should never be under estimated. 
   
After a fair amount of success at the first stop we moved on to a very densely  over grown part of the river and anchored against the brush. Wade out in 50m radius  from the Ark fishing under over hanging trees. The stop produced some sizer  Muddies and a first Largie of +/- 3kg.
   
Time was ticking as it normally happens when you are having fun and we  moved on with a lot of river to cover before dark. The sky opened with a force  and the rest of the day would be fished in pouring rain. Not for the faint  hearted but amazing how one can adapt if you have no choice.
   
The rest of the day we fished from hole to hole soaked to the bone landing  some of the best fish if seen in my short Yellow career. Water damaging 2 smart  phones and a camera in the process but a day I will remember for a long long  time.
   
Due to the heavy showers taking pic’s was not easy and all the pic’s look a  little steamed up. Here are the best of the …….
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on December 29, 2011, 10:53:21 PM
.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on December 30, 2011, 04:08:30 PM
Great report Craig. :shre:
Great news on the Largie as well. :happ: Sounds like apart from the rain and the drowned appliances that you guys had a jol. :hehe: :hehe:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on December 30, 2011, 04:23:53 PM
Thanks Herman
 
Heard the flows were unfishable this am , hard luck there is always a next time !
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on December 30, 2011, 04:28:56 PM
So some of us went to Strome today.
The water was pumping ( guestimate around 100 tons ). Fishing was to put it mildly difficult.
Pieter (ICStuff ) had 2 hook ups, which in those flows was excellent.
Ben landed 2 yellows and lost another bus.
Me ????? Nada, except for a wake up call when I ventured to far into the main stream to release a trapped fly :shk duh duh
 
Again, if you feel just a little uncomfortable with the flows, move back to where you wre comfortable. 2 flies are just not worth being washed away downstream
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: wernerm on December 30, 2011, 10:18:59 PM
I also almost saw my behind following you over to the island, i just had to fish that willow. Like you said, nothing is worth your life.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on December 31, 2011, 04:19:36 PM
I checked Reservoir today. The flows at 07:00 yesterday wre 106 tons  :shk
 
No wonder we struggled,  :hehe: :hehe:
 
Minimum flow was 75 odd with the average 85.
 
Hats off to Rory for even throwing a line. Well done Boet, you can now say you have fished Strome at 100+ and the Italians at 800. :resp: :resp:
 
Becoming a high flow fisherman, whether you like it or not. :hehe: :hehe: :clwn
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on January 02, 2012, 02:36:41 PM
So today was 1st cast 2012 for a bunch of us, all UA members (or afflilliated via family ). After last Fridays high flows we went to a venue above the Barrage, where as per normal ( for below the Vaal Dam wall ) the flows were 14 - 16 tons.
 
The day dawned clear with little wind and we were on the water by 07:30. Within 10 minutes of being in the water I knew the day was going to be a good one :-) .
I had been vas twice, Pieter, Rory, Martin all had bent rods at some time in those first 10 minutes.
 
It turned out to be my best day ever at that venue ( in 6 years  :-) ) My final tally being 9 muddies, 2 SM yellows and my PB LM Yellow ( 5.7 lbs )  :happ: :happ:  All my fish were taken on a Red Humpy's Favourite, except the 2 SM yellows which took the Black Mayfly nymph.
 
Too my knowledge the group were VAS with at least 30 fish, probably closer to 40. And this all in 3 hours of fishing.
 
Perfect Company, Perfect Day, Perfect Fishing, what more could one ask for to open the 2012 season. :happ: :happ:
 
A few pics.
1. The Ultimate Shirts Clan.
2. Martin VAS
3. Rory VAS
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on January 02, 2012, 02:56:30 PM
A few more pics.
 
1. LM in the net
2 SM showing some spawning sores. ( The fish was still rough to the touch )
3. Chris aka OMR aka TOF , fighting a good fish which Rory had to wade back from the bank to land for him. :crzy :hehe:
 
P.S. Chris hooked a leader in the water, attached to a fish. :shk  The leader was Rory's which he had lost when returning said fish to water. Now ...................... Whose fish is it ???? Hooked, faught , landed and released by Rory, or............ OMR's, hooked leader, fought, landed and released fish, AFTER taking Rory's fly outof it's mouth  :shk  ?????????????????????
 
Now there's a nice conundrum to start the New Year on ,  :dunno: :hehe:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: schloshd1 on January 02, 2012, 03:59:16 PM
Well done on the largie Herman! Great to see that spot producing well again.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on January 02, 2012, 06:10:31 PM
Thanks Andrew. I was really surprised to catch it all, never mind in the faster water above the twin rocks. :dunno: :-)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: wernerm on January 02, 2012, 07:43:35 PM
Last time I fished that venue we fished at 60 cumecs and OMR lost his hat in a dive  (clap)  Him and I stuck to the bank after that and had a memorable day.


Congrats on the great catches. Glad you got OMR away from One and All for a change.  :frid



 
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on January 03, 2012, 10:06:29 AM
Thanks for a super day on the river guys. More good news for that spot is that the stoneflies are back, which is generally considered to indicate the lack of pollution in a system. Considering how devoid of goggas that spot was a few months back, it looks like the chemical spill has been nullified! :clwn
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on January 04, 2012, 09:04:04 AM
What a great day on the water, lost more fish than I can count (good thing I dont teach math) and landed 2 muddies.
I landed one of those elusive "klip visse" that so often take your flies! It was safely returned to its natural habitat.

If this is an indication of the year to come then 2012 will be a great year!
And thank you to all who came from very far
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Hooch on January 05, 2012, 05:34:19 PM
Roll on sunday!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: wernerm on January 05, 2012, 08:14:48 PM
I was wondering if you were going to edit that post  w;k
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Hooch on January 05, 2012, 09:36:31 PM
And you are?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: wernerm on January 05, 2012, 10:26:36 PM
I am wernerm
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Hooch on January 06, 2012, 07:27:32 AM
I am wernerm

 :nobs: I thought so :nuts:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: wernerm on January 06, 2012, 07:55:08 AM
@Hooch,


Here's my first post on the forum. If you want to know more ask Herman over the weekend. Enjoy the venue. See the fishing is brilliant there at the moment.


http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php/topic,7133.msg116709.html#msg116709 (http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php/topic,7133.msg116709.html#msg116709) 


PS: If you want I'll do the intro thing, just tell me where.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Hooch on January 06, 2012, 08:20:04 AM
@Hooch,


Here's my first post on the forum. If you want to know more ask Herman over the weekend. Enjoy the venue. See the fishing is brilliant there at the moment.


http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php/topic,7133.msg116709.html#msg116709 (http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php/topic,7133.msg116709.html#msg116709) 


PS: If you want I'll do the intro thing, just tell me where.

No need for a intro bud. Welcome to the madhouse :udman:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: wernerm on January 06, 2012, 08:30:53 AM
Thanks man, this forum has some nice features  :tkx:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on January 06, 2012, 09:12:01 AM
Gents I wont be able to join you on sunday :(
The wife informed me that I  have to move a piano
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on January 06, 2012, 09:18:21 AM
Or face the music Pietertjie ?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Hooch on January 06, 2012, 09:32:32 AM
Craig, ekt jou bbm nommer verloor met die upgrade. Pm hom vir my asb. Hoor ons ry met die jeep?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on January 06, 2012, 09:50:36 AM
Yip , we will be traveling in style and comfort of the exceptional quality only a Jeep can deliver .So expect a rather pleasant experience getting there.  BBM 27D3AFC7
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Garrick on January 06, 2012, 09:54:52 AM
Howzit gents.
 
Where is all this happening.I would love to join you guys.This sunday sounds good for me.
 
Please let me know.
 
Cheers
 
Garrick
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Quickbite on January 06, 2012, 10:06:33 AM
Also keen guys- whats happning /n where on sunday?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Garrick on January 06, 2012, 10:14:49 AM
Also keen guys- whats happning /n where on sunday?

Hey chodhoo........you still alive? :shk where r u lost in the world?Will be good to meet you again.Last time I held a fly rod in the Vaal was when we went........................
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Quickbite on January 06, 2012, 10:22:52 AM
Also keen guys- whats happning /n where on sunday?

Hey chodhoo........you still alive? :shk where r u lost in the world?Will be good to meet you again.Last time I held a fly rod in the Vaal was when we went........................

 
salaam - bhai ... back in jozie ... ja- we need to bend those fly rods..
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: wernerm on January 06, 2012, 11:21:00 AM
One of you okes aren't driving from Rustenburg by any chance?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Garrick on January 06, 2012, 11:23:12 AM
One of you okes aren't driving from Rustenburg by any chance?

no............... sorry mate.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on January 06, 2012, 11:26:19 AM
A group of us went out again yesterday to the same venue where you guys will be on Sunday.
Everything ito flows, water temp, visibility etc. were normal for this venue. Pieter ( ICstuff )was "cormorant of the day", cleaning everyonelse up. As far as I know he got 6 muddies and 2 sm yellows. :-)
I got cleaned up 6 love by what I think was a barbel that ran me all over the place before popping my control fly dropper :unhap , but het that's fishing. :blush:
 
Sorry I'm busy with other family matters on Sunday,otherwise I would definately have been there.  :-(
 
A few pics from yesterday.
 
Pieter fighting a nice muddy.
Pieter with the fish.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Garrick on January 06, 2012, 11:30:47 AM
A group of us went out again yesterday to the same venue where you guys will be on Sunday.
Everything ito flows, water temp, visibility etc. were normal for this venue. Pieter ( ICstuff )was "cormorant of the day", cleaning everyonelse up. As far as I know he got 6 muddies and 2 sm yellows. :-)
I got cleaned up 6 love by what I think was a barbel that ran me all over the place before popping my control fly dropper :unhap , but het that's fishing. :blush:
 
Sorry I'm busy with other family matters on Sunday,otherwise I would definately have been there.  :-(
 
A few pics from yesterday.
 
Pieter fighting a nice muddy.
Pieter with the fish.

Nice one HJ....it would have been nice to have met you and Pieter on sunday.Can you or anybody tell me as to where this place is as I am seriously thinking of wetting a line and meeting Craig and Christo.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on January 06, 2012, 11:37:14 AM
AFAIK , Rory is organising this trippie. I see you are in Centurion. Why not drop him a call ?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Garrick on January 06, 2012, 11:40:02 AM
AFAIK , Rory is organising this trippie. I see you are in Centurion. Why not drop him a call ?

Could you please PM me his contact details.thanks....what is AFAIK :dunno: ...you can pm me the expo............ :hehe: :hehe: :hehe:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on January 06, 2012, 12:06:14 PM
Don't hold your breath guys, I've checked the DWAF website and they've opened the sluices at the Vaal dam. At this rate we might not be able to fish, so let's be patient and see what happens. In my humble opinion, higher flows are easier to fish below the barrage.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on January 06, 2012, 02:51:24 PM
Or face the music Pietertjie ?

Something like that, so wanted to fish with you chaps again
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: wernerm on January 06, 2012, 10:30:19 PM
Flows don't look good you guys.


You are all welcome to come and bash some large mouth lunkers with me at Buffelspoort on Sunday  :nuts:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on January 07, 2012, 11:16:23 AM
Sorry for the last minute cancellation, but I can't make the fishing tomorrow. Next week chasps!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Hooch on January 07, 2012, 04:49:25 PM
Also bailing out chaps! Sorry for this. See you next sunday!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on January 09, 2012, 12:05:11 PM
I wont be seeing you on sunday, large family forgathering in Pretoria.
But on the upside I am thinking about visiting the venue above the barage again sometime this week - anybody not working this week?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on January 16, 2012, 08:13:41 PM
Frederick ( FCLorenz) , Rory and I fished below the dam again on Sunday.
The day started off heavily overcast, and with a weird downstream wind :dunno:  and it was a coolish one at that. :cnfzd
 
The wind here normally only comes up around 10:00 and 98% is upstreaam.
 
Anyway, in we went, and on my 3rd cast I was into and landed a fair muddie. hehehe I thought , this is my day.   
 
How wrong I was,  duh .
 
Rory was " Cormorant" of the day with 5 fish in the net, including his PB Barbel on fly :happ:  ( which I would post  the pic of IF the damned computer would recognise the camera  :unhap  ).
 
Frederick had 2 good runs, which are his first hookups at this venue, WELL DONE FREDERICK. Now we just need to work on getting them in the net w;k
 
Me, I got 2muddies in the net, and lost 1 which I hooked under very weird cicumstances, stepping off the island I dipped my flies in the water, on picking up the flies to recast I was "on" then off  :dunno:
 
Methinks there's a new tactic developing for that dead water area next to the island. :hehe:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on January 29, 2012, 03:21:26 PM
Right, so 5 of us hit the prison today.
 
Weather was overcast with a little upstream breeze early, which got stronger as the morning got later.
 
For me a very frustrating day. 2nd cast and fish on, a little 4m run fish off :cnfzd
 
And that's how it was for the rest of the morning, FOR ALL OF US :cnfzd :unhap :unhap
 
I finally managed to get a muddie of around 800 grams in the net' :happ:
 
Pieter ( ICStuff ) then obliged with a better specimen, pics of which are attached.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: schloshd1 on January 29, 2012, 03:33:45 PM
Good fish Pieter, well done! What fly did it eat?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on January 29, 2012, 03:45:01 PM
Good fish Pieter, well done! What fly did it eat?

Black Nymph  w;k w;k
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on January 29, 2012, 05:53:57 PM
Well done Pietertjie . Nice  fshg
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on January 30, 2012, 08:11:48 AM
Thank you, I have to say it had some sores on its body and did not put up much of a fight, its friend that came of the hook 1min before took me for quite a run upriver before the hook pulled. Like Herman stated it was hooked on a black nymph. I almost went through all my flies before I put the black nymph on (I started with it) and then they started biting.

What herman did not mention is how cold it was, I had regrets about not wearing the wader before I entered the water. One of those "I did not want to look like a wimp" moments that you regret. Another thing that jinxed us was that herman did not fall once! - I did not even notice a slip and slide. Nico provided the fall of the day.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on February 05, 2012, 09:02:40 PM
 Rory, Icstuff, Herman Jooste and I fished the  Vaal this morning. The day turned out quite productive and Pieter/ Rory in  particular hammered the fish from the first casts. Herman was slightly less  lucky but managed to land a couple and was still smiling at the end of the  session. I on the other hand managed to hook the fish just to lose them at the  net which was more than frustrating to say the least.

But  as they say in “plank” “aanhouer wen” and I moved up about 70m from where I started  to deeper fast moving water. Still trying to puzzle out what I had been doing  wrong all morning and I went proper VAS !

After  a few very nervous minutes the beauty was in the net. The sweetest rewards  fishing the Vaal on the fly the ever elusive LARGEMOUTH YELLOW.
[font=](http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb322/lichia74/Largemouth-1.jpg)[/font]
 
[font=](http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb322/lichia74/Rev.jpg)[/font]
[font=](http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb322/lichia74/Release.jpg)[/font]
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: wernerm on February 05, 2012, 10:10:33 PM
 :cgrts:  on the nice catch.


I managed to loose my Vaal box this weekend. Over 150 odd flies. School fees paid "Never put all your eggs in one basket". As it stands not a single Caddis or nymph imitation on my name. Probably lost about 50 hours of tying.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on February 06, 2012, 07:58:08 AM
I am even more jealous now that you have posted those pics, mine will come soon!
 
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: shagnrelease on February 06, 2012, 08:21:06 AM
well done craig!!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on February 06, 2012, 09:03:56 AM
Awesome one Kallie !
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on February 06, 2012, 09:29:21 AM
Awesome fish Craig!! :bow:   :resp:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on February 06, 2012, 07:15:26 PM
Brilliant fish Craig. :happ: :resp:   Now that's  :fshn:
 
 Just to see the elation on your face when Rory and I walked up to check the pics meant more to me than the 3 muddies I caught. :clwn
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on February 06, 2012, 09:42:14 PM
:cgrts:  on the nice catch.


I managed to loose my Vaal box this weekend. Over 150 odd flies. School fees paid "Never put all your eggs in one basket". As it stands not a single Caddis or nymph imitation on my name. Probably lost about 50 hours of tying.

So where did you fish, and where is the report ??????
 
Bad luck on the fly box, happened to me before,  :unhap
 
It however gives you an excuse to buy more materials and tie up a storm.  :happ: :happ:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on February 13, 2012, 07:28:57 PM
I fished GVP yesterday, more to clear my mind than anything else. After rowing up and a half hour of shouting and releasing anger , I fished.
 
Could not find a yellow, even in all the best spots, with the Ark :cnfzd
 
Ended the morning with 8 muddies, biggest 2 were were 2.3 and 2.0 kg, and finally 2 silvers.
 
All in all a morning well spent. Very cathartic.  :-)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on February 13, 2012, 07:38:57 PM
Fishing has to be the  best mind clearing therapy in the world. Sure Jan was there with you. Hold on to special memories.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on February 13, 2012, 09:23:44 PM
Fishing has to be the  best mind clearing therapy in the world. Sure Jan was there with you. Hold on to special memories.

You are so right Craig.
 
Just hope the people on the banks below couldn't hear my swearing early on.  :blush:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on March 01, 2012, 09:14:29 PM
Guys & Gals, :unhap
 
The Vaal below the Barrage is currently in a very sad state. There has been an Algea Bloom above the barrage in the Loch Vaal area which extends upriver to Millionaires Mile and Three Rivers.
 
The river under the N1 ( below the Barrage ) looks like a sluggish green snake. I feel that Harties could even be cleaner at this time.  :unhap
 
Fishing at venues below the barrage and above Potch will definately be affected. There is no (or very little hyacynth ) left after the last 2 years floods to clean the water.   
 
Rand Water atributes the "Bloom " to higher than normal water temps, and increased  nutrients ( read Sh** ) :unhap :unhap :unhap in the water. They say that when the water gets colder the algea will die, but then who wants to fish in winter woth dead algea everywhere.
 
I passed over the river on the N1 today and it looks worse than Harties at the dam wall. :unhap
 
SAVE( Save the Vaal Environment ) has put 2 local Municipal officials behind bars in the last 3 years for allowing pollution. They need your support as they use top class lawyers to put the bastawards responsible away.
 
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on March 01, 2012, 10:15:38 PM
Sad news !

How far down the Barrage will be affected? Planning a trip to oord Nebo on Sunday .
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: wernerm on March 01, 2012, 10:17:03 PM
A sad state of affairs Herman, things are not looking good. I only wonder what this is going to do to the fish and aquatic populations. Things were looking up ever so briefly. I fear it is only going to get worse.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Quickbite on March 02, 2012, 07:21:15 AM
So any suggestions- where to fish this weeknd?? i am lost when it comes to upper and lower barrage?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on March 02, 2012, 07:36:29 AM
QB you could always fish the Italians not sure what the real name is but it is the venue right below the vaal dam wall under the bridge. It is always fun to play troll :)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on March 02, 2012, 07:41:09 AM
QB you could always fish the Italians not sure what the real name is but it is the venue right below the vaal dam wall under the bridge. It is always fun to play troll :)

 :hyst:   
 
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on March 02, 2012, 04:18:27 PM
Sad news !

How far down the Barrage will be affected? Planning a trip to oord Nebo on Sunday .

Craig, I have no idea of how far down will be affected. I would phone them and ask and hope that they reply truthfully.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Schallie on March 02, 2012, 04:26:15 PM
I was at Komando drift a couple of weeks ago and even there things weren't looking good.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on March 04, 2012, 03:48:48 PM
Frederick, Pieter ( ICStuff ) and I fished below the dam wall again today. As per normal, I was slow coach and only got onto the water about 30 minutes after Freddie and Pieter. By then Pieter already had 1 in the net.
 
I fished that river dwars en deur, up, down, across and had 1 on off for my troubles  :blush: :blush: :cnfzd
 
Freddie finally broke his Virgin status, with a nice muddie in the net. Hooked in the mouth noggal. :happ: (clap) :happ:
 
Pieter was Cormorant again with at least 5 fish landed and 3 lost.  :shk
 
After our session Pieter and I went to go have a look at the Barrage area to see for ourselves how bad it was.
 
Driving over the Riet, the river was brown ( normal colour ), but if you looked downstream towards the Vaal you could distinctly see where it turned green.
 
The river under the bridge just below the Barrage was greener than usual as was the Vaal under the N1 bridge to Bloem. However what suprised me was that the visibility from the N1 bridge, as well as the Barrage bridge was around 60cm, even thought the water was definately greener than normal.
 
Coming back to Vanderbijl off the N1 you could clearly see an Emerald Green "plug" around the Loch Vaal area.
 
A pic of Frederick with his first landed fish on the Vaal, followed by a pic of the river at the bridge below the barrage.
 
P.S. It's great to see the hyacinth coming back so quickly. :clwn
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: schloshd1 on March 04, 2012, 07:55:57 PM
nicely done Freddie (clap) , it's about time too  :crzy
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on March 05, 2012, 08:07:42 AM
Congrats freddie! I have never seen a man so happy about a fish!

Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on March 05, 2012, 08:43:51 AM
Had a whistle stop session at Oord Nebo on Sunday morning , we were about 8 blokes on the water and not to many fish came out . The water in the area still looks good but guess it a matter of time before the green blanket reaches the Potch area . We had lunch in Parys on the way back and the river looks like a putting green there as well. Boys and girls this is not looking good !!!!! :cnfzd :cnfzd :cnfzd
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on March 05, 2012, 08:46:00 AM
PS: Well done Pietertjie and Freddy ! w;k
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: FCLoretz on March 05, 2012, 09:58:05 AM
Herman, Pieter(ICStuff) and myself fished below the dam wall on Sunday.

Pieter had a good day on the water with 5 Muddies. and losing another 3

Herman Blanked  :cry: sry

I managed to get my first Muddy on fly  :happ: i have finally popped my Vaal Cherry.

(http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa328/FCLoretz/Fly%20Fishing/2012-03-05071837.jpg)

A big Thanks to Herman  :+ cred: for all the time he apent with me helping and guiding me to landing my Muddy.

Also to Andrew   :+ cred: who took a lot of time out of his fishing time on the river to help me.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on March 06, 2012, 11:32:07 AM
This info is taken from the reservoir.co.za website
  IMPORTANT  Release of water from Vaal Dam to flush out poor water quality in the Vaal Barrage
   
  Friday evening 9 March 2012
  Increase outflow from Barrage to 30m3/s
   
  Saturday 10 March 2012
  Increase outflow from Barrage to 50m3/s
   
  Sunday 11 March @ 12:00 2012
  Increase outflow from Barrage to 70m3/s
  Barrage will drop by about 1m during Sunday evening to Tuesday evening
   
  Tuesday 13 March 2012
  Start releases from Vaal Dam @ 100m3/s keeping Barrage at 70m3/s
  Barrage will return to normal level from late Tuesday but maintaining higher flows
   
  Friday 16 March 2012
  Close Vaal Dam @ 06:00 and return to normal operations     
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on March 06, 2012, 11:33:50 AM
This means that the level below the dam and the barrage will increase over the weekend and fishing is not recommended.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on March 06, 2012, 08:14:23 PM
Thanks Pieter,
I was about to post the same thing.
Fishing below the Barrage will be kooking on Friday and Sat, as yellows seem to go into feeding mode on rising flows. Sunday will be fishable at 70 tons at certain venues, but NOT RECOMMENDED for the novice. :shk :shk
 
These increased flows will only reach the Potch area from Sunday afternoon to Wednesday, so if you have plans for Elgro, Oord Nebo etc., the fishing should be good.
 
Please, PLEASE post reports of any fishing you do below the Barrage over the next week, as I need to check against my flow/catch rate/ fly selection theory. No venue need be mentioned, just flow , catch rate and flies.
 
Remember, dark skies, dark flies. The same applies to water, dark water, dark flies. UV purple/black being the last seen in dark water ( apparently  :dunno:  ).
 
Botton line is, we KNOW there will be increasing flows, so if you are fishing use common sense. Don't get caught on a point which becomes an island, don't get caught on a rock which becomes submerged, keep your eye on your exit route, if it was deep going in, then don't go in, find another place to go in.
 
Tight lines and look forward to all the reports. :clwn
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on March 11, 2012, 06:23:48 PM
Me and Herman took a drive to venue X only to find that fishing is now banned until notice is given  :unhap
Next we wanted to to try Vaal Streams as we heard a lot of  :fshstry stories, only to be baffled by a lack of signs - who in their right minds runs a public business with out signs to their place :nuts:
So we did the troll ting and went to the Italians and it turned out to be a great outing. Within minutes I had my biggest yellow on the line, only to be beaten by a bigger yellow a few minutes later. This fish was a bit camera shy and ducked before Herman could snap a pic. I even sneaked up unto some feeding carp but they did not take anything I threw at them. For the next 30mins we did not even see a fish.

After Herman lost his last control fly without scoring a bite we tried the lower rapids and was greeted by some rapid flowing water that I would not recommend for a newbie, but after just a cast or two Herman was into a nice fish after a short inspection it was released. He lost two more fish and I landed another yellow. To top the day I took one beaut of a dive that filled my waders with water.

My fish where caught on an orange hotspot and a copper john/dragon fly thingy.
 
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on March 11, 2012, 06:31:03 PM
Nice on Pietertjie and Herman ! After the chemical spill in that part of the Vaal, how healthy do the fish look ?   
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on March 12, 2012, 07:42:53 AM
The fish in both rapids looked healthy, the fish in the bottom rapid had a lovely yellow colour
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on March 12, 2012, 07:45:52 AM
Nice Pieter, pity you couldn't get a pic! Of the fish I mean, not the shuffle! :crzy
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Quickbite on March 12, 2012, 07:46:45 AM
The fish in both rapids looked healthy, the fish in the bottom rapid had a lovely yellow colour

nice pieter - tell me what is the troll thing- n where is the italians?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on March 12, 2012, 08:04:42 AM
Go to deneysville(freestate) R549 just before the bridge you will find the venue(cant remember the name), if you see a sign "welcome to the freestate" turn back.  You can fish the rapids just under the bridge, or the one downstream.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on March 12, 2012, 08:13:20 AM

nice pieter - tell me what is the troll thing- n where is the italians?

Hey Quick, if you fish there please wade really carefully, proper boots and a wading stick. The currents are incredibly strong and the wading is pretty trecherous.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Quickbite on March 12, 2012, 08:31:26 AM
thanks guys... tell me - any GPS -coordinates for place...do they have website... any fees etc..
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on March 12, 2012, 08:40:54 AM
thanks guys... tell me - any GPS -coordinates for place...do they have website... any fees etc..

Have a look at the Google Earth Map , little primitive but might help . See Italians as well on the right of map.


Vaal Streams Location Veekraal turnoff from R716
GPS co-ordinates : S 26° 51’ 30.8” E 028° 04’ 29.9”
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Quickbite on March 12, 2012, 08:48:16 AM
thanks guys... tell me - any GPS -coordinates for place...do they have website... any fees etc..

Have a look at the Google Earth Map , little primitive but might help . See Italians as well on the right of map.


Vaal Streams Location Veekraal turnoff from R716
GPS co-ordinates : S 26° 51’ 30.8” E 028° 04’ 29.9”

thanks Lichia - this helps :)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on March 12, 2012, 05:35:35 PM

nice pieter - tell me what is the troll thing- n where is the italians?

Hey Quick, if you fish there please wade really carefully, proper boots and a wading stick. The currents are incredibly strong and the wading is pretty trecherous.

Rory is correct, you work like hell for your fish. And even though the flow might be low it goes through a narrow channel. This is the reason I fell, the current ripped my from my perch. today I feel like I have had a workout at the Gym because of climbing up and down all the rocks, my knees and shins are also showing some marks.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on March 22, 2012, 08:16:00 PM
Hi All, back again after the last computer got toasted by lightening :unhap :unhap
 
Rory and Pieter are both right. DO NOT fish the Italians if you are a NEWBY to the Vaal, and on your own. The wading is treacherous and the flows very deceptive.
 
I saw my arse twice last Sunday, :cnfzd and had to literally swim for 30 - 40 meters because I misjudged a drop off in what I thought was quiet water against an island. :blush: :blush:
 
Thank goodness Bryan was out of sight, otherwise I'd have a "live" pic for my avatar. :hehe: :hehe:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on March 23, 2012, 09:23:55 AM
Herman welcome back!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on March 25, 2012, 05:54:12 PM
Pieter (  ICStuff ) and I took on the bottom run at the Italian's again today.
 
It was a very brief session from on the water, 07:00 to 09:00. ( We had other, more serious, things to do )
 
Needless to say both of us had a Vaal Shuffle up to neck deep :blush: , mine backwards and Pieter's a straight forward dive :dunno:
 
We both got fish though, not huge but big enough to put a bend in the rod. w;k
 
My sincere heartfelt thanks to Pieter, OMR, ( Chris Wiliams ) and my eldest boet Phil for being there for the sprinkling of Jan's ashes into the Vaal River, which he grew to love.
 
All in all a wonderfull day.
 
Thanks again guys.
 
 
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on April 01, 2012, 03:43:31 PM
I decided to fish Eendekuil today ( after 4 years ) as a recce for next Saterday, when I will be hosting a good friend from the EC.
 
I was firstly amazed that I was the only f/f on the water  :shk :shk , and so it was the whole day  :clwn
 
It took me a while to remember the lie of tha land, and there are new runs ( to me ) after the floods of the last few years.
 
The flows were slow, the visibilty around 40 cm's and the downstream breeze Fresh. I would guess that the water temp was around 20.
 
In 3 1/2 hrs I managed 6 yellows, 3 on offs. and missed another 3 takes. The yellows were all in prime condition. :happ:
 
Flies that worked were : Black UV nymph, Orange hotspot, and the most sucessfull was a #14 mustard caddis.
 
OH YA, next Saterday is open to anyone who want's to pitch up. Entrance at Eendekuil is R 80 pp. There are 10  places left on the booking list. ( Only 20 rods allowed per day ) The other 10 guys are all from Flytalk, except ICStuff ( Pieter ),
who will no doubt KLAP the fish again.
 
Here's some pics of what you can expect.
 
First pic, Pieter screaming like a girl, ( sry  Pieter )
Second, some of the many waters,
Third, the result.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: UrbanFF on April 03, 2012, 11:08:26 AM
3 or 4 of the Urban Flyfishers regulars will be there but sadly on Sunday only as the shop is open on Saturday, after the cold temperatures of last weekend it's probably our last trip till late Sept , current temps are 19-20 deg.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: UrbanFF on April 03, 2012, 11:27:40 AM
Just found this thread today and have enjoyed reading it all through , looking forward to a good season when spring comes by (this is based on the good number of healthy juveniles we took this season) , I have a number of photo's of myself and friends with our catches this season - taken between Strydoms/Silwer Strome and Elgro but rather than try a mass upload would you mind if I just post my gallery here http://urban-fly-fisher.com/gallery/ (http://urban-fly-fisher.com/gallery/) , ignore the few trout pictures and the rest represent what I believe was my best season in 3 years. Again thanks for an informative and entertaining thread   (http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/Smileys/goodsmiles/reeling-smiley.gif)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on April 04, 2012, 09:18:39 PM
Just found this thread today and have enjoyed reading it all through , looking forward to a good season when spring comes by (this is based on the good number of healthy juveniles we took this season) , I have a number of photo's of myself and friends with our catches this season - taken between Strydoms/Silwer Strome and Elgro but rather than try a mass upload would you mind if I just post my gallery here http://urban-fly-fisher.com/gallery/ (http://urban-fly-fisher.com/gallery/) , ignore the few trout pictures and the rest represent what I believe was my best season in 3 years. Again thanks for an informative and entertaining thread   (http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/Smileys/goodsmiles/reeling-smiley.gif)

Hi Urban, First and foremost  :welc: :welc: .
 
It's great to have an Angling Retailer on the forum. :-)
 
It's a pity you can't make Eendekuil on Sat, because come some Sunday all the fish will have been "pricked",  and extremely shy of flies  :hehe: :hehe: .
 
Tell you what, we'll leave run 1 and 2 for you :lolo: .
 
BTW, I'm just joking sry , there is so much water at this venue that no one group could spoil the nexxt days fishing.
 
Tight lines for Sunday. w;k
 
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: UrbanFF on April 05, 2012, 09:08:29 AM
Thanks Herman, I really enjoy fishing run 1 so much appreciated, took my PB SMY there this season, I always fish 1 hard in the afternoon after our braai. Run 4 is for the morning when my legs and energy levels are higher :)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on April 09, 2012, 02:17:19 PM
About 12 of us ended up at Eendekuil on Saterday. Water temp was around 19 - 20 and vis around 20cm's.
As far as I know, almost everyone got something although the fish were very small. My one fish the smallest I have ever landed. ( Last Pic. )
 
A great lunch, curried prawns courtesey of Etienne, and Frederick for being Braai Master .  ( Pieter how's the after effects of the 3 helpings of prawns  :shk  ).
 
A great day out marred by the news that Tim Collier ( owner of Eendekuil ) had had a heart attack during the morning. :unhap
 
I just spoke to Charmaine ( Tim's wife ) and he has had a stent fitted in the one artery. He will be on medication, and may have to have stents installed in the other arteries after a month or so, if the medication doesn't work properly.
 
A few pics of the day.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on April 09, 2012, 04:14:44 PM
Herman I just need more of them that is the only effect  :crzy
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on April 09, 2012, 05:04:45 PM
Herman I just need more of them that is the only effect  :crzy

Cool, then next time YOU cook them :crzy :hehe:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on April 09, 2012, 06:05:10 PM
Thanks chaps had pleasant day out. Was nice to finally meet some of the chaps here on U.A. Wish I could have stayed for the prawns:-( See  you soon at a run near you.   
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on April 15, 2012, 06:14:50 PM
Pieter and I fished GVP yesterday afternoon. ( Sat ).
 
Water temp was around 16 - 18 deg and the vis around 20 - 30 cm.
It was a nice balmy afternoon with little to no wind, PERFECT for dry flies.
 
To see the rest go to the " Yellows in Winter " thread. :crzy
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Quickbite on April 16, 2012, 03:46:04 PM
So with my Birthday looming on the 16th April ,
4 friends decided to hit the Vaal – Woelwater’s to be specific …
The team consisted of Ameer , Sashin ,Kumz and myself .
 
So bright an early we all met to depart – 5 am .
We all piled into the Verso and headed out ,
We arrived at about 7 am – after making a few stops etc …
 
Into the water we ventured and it was freaking cold .
 
Kumz decided to brave the water ..with no Wading Stick and did the Vaal Shuffle 3 times ..
I chose my 1st spot and with 15 mins I was on with a beautiful Yellow ..bout 2 kgs …
 
After going back in on the 3rd cast was on with a muddy .
 
The rest of the day rather slow .
 
Ameer and I picked up a Barbel each ..after long fights we unfortunately lost both … we were not even tackled up for those fish …
 
We left at about 5 pm …
Place is really great …
 
kumz -pls post pics
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on April 16, 2012, 04:43:47 PM
Sounds like you had a lekker day out  :shre:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Kumz on April 17, 2012, 06:53:50 AM
..Pics ...
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on April 17, 2012, 08:06:20 AM
Awesome fish there Suveer, what flies did they take?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Kumz on April 17, 2012, 08:19:09 AM
...More pics ...
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Kumz on April 17, 2012, 08:19:44 AM
..
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Kumz on April 17, 2012, 08:20:22 AM
...
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on April 17, 2012, 08:56:29 AM
Glad you enjoyed!
Did you get any pics of Kumz doing the shuffle?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Kumz on April 17, 2012, 08:57:50 AM
Glad you enjoyed!
Did you get any pics of Kumz doing the shuffle?

Nope ... i was camera-man ....  :crzy
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on April 17, 2012, 09:00:14 AM
Kumz when is your birthday? want to give you a wading stick before you hurt yourself  :crzy
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Kumz on April 17, 2012, 09:05:28 AM
Kumz when is your birthday? want to give you a wading stick before you hurt yourself  :crzy
december ..i made one on Sunday ...  :clwn
wait will look for pic quick ...
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Kumz on April 17, 2012, 09:09:30 AM
Kumz when is your birthday? want to give you a wading stick before you hurt yourself  :crzy

 
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Quickbite on April 17, 2012, 11:13:19 AM
Awesome fish there Suveer, what flies did they take?

thanks Rory... you can actually notice the fish abit slugish in cold water.
 
Rory- me and fly names ...is like me speaking chinesse...lol
 
well you can see the muddy - the flie i used... and the
 
the yellow i got with orange n green fly- with 2 shiny antennas coming outa it.
 
but i hooked this barbel fought for about 20min - ran down with it for about 500m... wat an awesome fyt ...just my tackle was not up too the fyt... i cudnt pull anymore on the 6wt rod...and the barbel was probably a good 6-7kilo...  :(
 
lol- i **  i hooked a skate at one part....
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on April 22, 2012, 12:16:48 PM
I went to GVP again yesterday afternoon. The temp must have  fallen 4deg between 10:00 and 13:00 when I got on the water. First front of the season and there I was on the river  :nuts: :craz:
 
Un upstream wind was blowing and the fish were top feeding very sporadically with the rises few and far between and all over the place.
 
After trying nearly every fly in my box I blanked. Welcome to winter dry fly :crzy :hehe: .
 
The highlight of the trippie was a Kudu bull and cow crossing the mighty Vaal about 200 meters above where I was sitting. :happ: :happ: '
 
Please excuse the quality of the pics but they were taken on full zoom. ( I have sent them to Rory , maybe he can work some of his magic with them w;k  )
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: schloshd1 on April 22, 2012, 12:34:17 PM
Great sighting Herman. Friends of mine have seen them crossing from the island at Strome a few times before. I am hoping to get out for largies over the long weekend. I will give you a shout if you are keen to join me for a bit of blanking :crzy
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: SAfish on April 22, 2012, 01:07:14 PM
 (clap) Herman, what an awesome feeling it must have been to see the Kudu cross the river. I am sure it made up for the blanking.  :hehe:  :shre:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on April 22, 2012, 01:08:44 PM
Thanks Andrew. Let me know about the LM trip, and I'll see if I can join you.
 
P.S. Blanking I'm used to  :blush: :blush: :crzy
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on April 22, 2012, 01:12:08 PM
(clap) Herman, what an awesome feeling it must have been to see the Kudu cross the river. I am sure it made up for the blanking.  :hehe: :shre:

Thanks, the sighting sure did. :-)
 
A competent wader will take 30 minutes to cross the river where they did. They did it in less than 2 minutes.  :shk
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Sailor on April 22, 2012, 04:19:37 PM
 :shre:  Herman
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: dizzy on April 22, 2012, 06:26:20 PM
A competent wader will take 30 minutes to cross the river where they did. They did it in less than 2 minutes.  :shk
Haha, a competent wader doesn't have 4 legs  :crzy
Nice sighting Herman  w;k
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Kumz on April 22, 2012, 06:46:06 PM
 :shre:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on April 22, 2012, 09:35:01 PM
A competent wader will take 30 minutes to cross the river where they did. They did it in less than 2 minutes.  :shk
Haha, a competent wader doesn't have 4 legs  :crzy
Nice sighting Herman  w;k

 :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: , You  are so right Darryl, we normally have three ( wading stick included ) untill you bail it, ( as the bull did  :shk ), then you realise that 6 legs wouldn't help.  :blush: :hnthnt:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on April 23, 2012, 07:50:56 AM
So you have no drive to hook a fish if I am not there to land your fish and bring you a beer as well?
I have paid my dues and will be able to join you this weekend :happ:
looks like nice stable weather till sunday!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on April 23, 2012, 07:30:44 PM
So you have no drive to hook a fish if I am not there to land your fish and bring you a beer as well?
I have paid my dues and will be able to join you this weekend :happ:
looks like nice stable weather till sunday!

Ahemmm, what about the weather around Vanderbijl, Alberton,Germiston etc. during today, as well as the thunderstorm we'eve just had in CW1 ? :rain: :dunno:
 
The plans are to fish Friday pm and Sunday am.
 
I will probably be working Monday  :unhap
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: UrbanFF on April 24, 2012, 01:39:45 PM
Hi Herman, Where are you thinking of going on Friday PM ? I would love to learn more about winter fishing on the Vaal as it is a huge gap in my knowledge.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on April 24, 2012, 04:17:57 PM
Hi Herman, Where are you thinking of going on Friday PM ? I would love to learn more about winter fishing on the Vaal as it is a huge gap in my knowledge.

More than likely GVP Richard. :-)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: FCLoretz on April 24, 2012, 05:00:58 PM
Hi Herman, Where are you thinking of going on Friday PM ? I would love to learn more about winter fishing on the Vaal as it is a huge gap in my knowledge.

More than likely GVP Richard. :-)

Am I invited??
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: UrbanFF on April 24, 2012, 05:06:11 PM
Hi Herman, Where are you thinking of going on Friday PM ? I would love to learn more about winter fishing on the Vaal as it is a huge gap in my knowledge.

More than likely GVP Richard. :-)


Been meaning to try that water between GVP and Oosthuzen's as I have seen plenty of "porpoising" going on there - might see you there on Friday - need to persuade the minister of home affairs that I can make it back in time to attend a black-tie dinner that evening.

Am I invited??
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on April 25, 2012, 06:36:52 PM
Hi Herman, Where are you thinking of going on Friday PM ? I would love to learn more about winter fishing on the Vaal as it is a huge gap in my knowledge.

More than likely GVP Richard. :-)


Been meaning to try that water between GVP and Oosthuzen's as I have seen plenty of "porpoising" going on there - might see you there on Friday - need to persuade the minister of home affairs that I can make it back in time to attend a black-tie dinner that evening.

Am I invited??

Anyone is always more than welcome to join us on any advertised ( read posted trip ). :-)
 
 I hope you have a boat or some other flotation device, it's the quickest and easiest way to get there.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on April 28, 2012, 02:04:31 PM
Pieter and I and a few other Flytalkers tried GVP yestreday afternoon.
 
Again the wind was pumping straight upstream, :unhap  and once again no rising fish were evident. :-(
 
After about an hour and moving spots to try and find a semi sheltered spot we ended up at the summer mudie hole. With no surface action whatsoever we resorted to nymphing. I fished an emerger about 1ft below the SI with another fly about 2 ft below that. I then fished deeper and deeper below the indicator and finally got a hit at 7ft , which I promptly lost. :blush:
 
Pieter had a nice fish on for about 30 seconds, ( which was 29 seconds longer than mine :shk  ).
 
Inspite of the higher flows the visibility was fair at around 30cm's.
 
Lets see what Monday brings.  :dunno: :dunno:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Kumz on April 30, 2012, 06:51:36 AM
On Sat i went to Woelwater with the family in toe .
Go there only to find that the river was higher than normal and current was exceptionally strong ...
 
There was loads of debris flowing in the river ... nearly did the shuffle twice after being hit by branches , the other annoying part was the amount of dis-carded line in the river ... :unhap ... i had taken out about 5 differnet lines that got me all tangled up .... :-( .. i was only angler on the water for the time i was there .. :cnfzd
Never the less , fish were practically non -existant .. i fished for about 4 hours before calling it a day .
weather was  bit bleek as well , with winds picking up and it became cloudy ... as a little drizzle came about , i left  and headed home ...
 
All in all ,  i was satisfied - spending the day with my girls there was reward enough ...
 
Till next time Fishy's ...  :rck"
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on May 01, 2012, 03:03:00 PM
I paid another visit to GVP yesterday, but wanted to check out the morning action as well. I arrived at around 06:30 to a mirror like river with themist and fish rising.  As I was getting the boat ready there was a calling competition between two pairs of Fish Eagles !! :-) :-)   Then I saw one flying down the river. My first sighting after listening to them for 7 years.  :happ:   :happ:
 
I got the boat up to my new spot and started looking and fishing. The morning session managed 2 SM on Dry ( EHK ), both around the 1 kg mark. The wind started coming up around 11:00 so I rowed back for lunch.
 
After lunch around 13:00 I went back up again and with the wind blowing and very sporadic rises, I changed to Nymphs in the deeper pools, and BOY did I find a deep drop off  :blush: :unhap w;k . Stepped off a ledge and I was literally swimming ! That spot has been well and truely memorised for summer, :hnthnt:  as the ledge is around 10 m long with a 2m drop off vertically below it. :hehe: :hehe:
 
The afternoon session delivered 2 SM and 1 muddie on the nymphs, all fished deep through the throats and belly of the pools.
 
I left the water at 15:00 whilst I could still row down against the ever strengthening wind.
 
The Jury is still out as to which is better this time of the year, Morning or afternoon.
 
P.S. Bill is in the process of building new chalets, these with their own bathroom and a brilliant view over the river. :rck"
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on May 01, 2012, 03:10:59 PM
On Sat i went to Woelwater with the family in toe .
Go there only to find that the river was higher than normal and current was exceptionally strong ...
 
There was loads of debris flowing in the river ... nearly did the shuffle twice after being hit by branches , the other annoying part was the amount of dis-carded line in the river ... :unhap ... i had taken out about 5 differnet lines that got me all tangled up .... :-( .. i was only angler on the water for the time i was there .. :cnfzd
Never the less , fish were practically non -existant .. i fished for about 4 hours before calling it a day .
weather was  bit bleek as well , with winds picking up and it became cloudy ... as a little drizzle came about , i left  and headed home ...
 
All in all ,  i was satisfied - spending the day with my girls there was reward enough ...
 
Till next time Fishy's ...  :rck"

Thanks for the report Kumz. Yeah it's a pity about the amont of line left behind in the water by break offs. I just wish the the bank anglers would realise that rocky areas = getting snagged, and therefore fish with very light sinkersbwhich are attached to the main line with cotton, and not 40 lb braid.
 
That way if you get snagged all you leave behind is 10cm of cotton and a small sinker, not 50 + meters of line, swivels, hooks and sinkers.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on May 02, 2012, 08:09:33 AM
I paid another visit to GVP yesterday, but wanted to check out the morning action as well. I arrived at around 06:30 to a mirror like river with themist and fish rising.  As I was getting the boat ready there was a calling competition between two pairs of Fish Eagles !! :-) :-)   Then I saw one flying down the river. My first sighting after listening to them for 7 years.  :happ:   :happ:
 
I got the boat up to my new spot and started looking and fishing. The morning session managed 2 SM on Dry ( EHK ), both around the 1 kg mark. The wind started coming up around 11:00 so I rowed back for lunch.
 
After lunch around 13:00 I went back up again and with the wind blowing and very sporadic rises, I changed to Nymphs in the deeper pools, and BOY did I find a deep drop off  :blush: :unhap w;k . Stepped off a ledge and I was literally swimming ! That spot has been well and truely memorised for summer, :hnthnt:  as the ledge is around 10 m long with a 2m drop off vertically below it. :hehe: :hehe:
 
The afternoon session delivered 2 SM and 1 muddie on the nymphs, all fished deep through the throats and belly of the pools.
 
I left the water at 15:00 whilst I could still row down against the ever strengthening wind.
 
The Jury is still out as to which is better this time of the year, Morning or afternoon.
 
P.S. Bill is in the process of building new chalets, these with their own bathroom and a brilliant view over the river. :rck"

 
 :shre:  Herman
 
Looking forward trying the dry fly thing on the Vaal.
 
 
 
 
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Kumz on May 02, 2012, 08:59:23 AM
On Sat i went to Woelwater with the family in toe .
Go there only to find that the river was higher than normal and current was exceptionally strong ...
 
There was loads of debris flowing in the river ... nearly did the shuffle twice after being hit by branches , the other annoying part was the amount of dis-carded line in the river ... :unhap ... i had taken out about 5 differnet lines that got me all tangled up .... :-( .. i was only angler on the water for the time i was there .. :cnfzd
Never the less , fish were practically non -existant .. i fished for about 4 hours before calling it a day .
weather was  bit bleek as well , with winds picking up and it became cloudy ... as a little drizzle came about , i left  and headed home ...
 
All in all ,  i was satisfied - spending the day with my girls there was reward enough ...
 
Till next time Fishy's ...  :rck"

Thanks for the report Kumz. Yeah it's a pity about the amont of line left behind in the water by break offs. I just wish the the bank anglers would realise that rocky areas = getting snagged, and therefore fish with very light sinkersbwhich are attached to the main line with cotton, and not 40 lb braid.
 
That way if you get snagged all you leave behind is 10cm of cotton and a small sinker, not 50 + meters of line, swivels, hooks and sinkers.

Pleasure man ... Thanks for your report as well .
 
There was also a group of bank anglers that casted about 5 rods in and then left the area ... with their rods still in .. making the main area in front of resort impossible to fish ... ..
well it takes all sorts to make this World complete ...
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on May 02, 2012, 09:34:38 AM

.....nearly did the shuffle twice after being hit by branches.....
 

You didn't shuffle at all? Impressive, most impressive!!   :crzy
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on May 02, 2012, 09:37:43 AM

 ...I got the boat up to my new spot and started looking and fishing. The morning session managed 2 SM on Dry ( EHK ), both around the 1 kg mark. The wind started coming up around 11:00 so I rowed back for lunch...
 

Well done on the yellows on dry Herman! What colours were the Elk Hairs' that you used?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on May 02, 2012, 07:41:59 PM

 ...I got the boat up to my new spot and started looking and fishing. The morning session managed 2 SM on Dry ( EHK ), both around the 1 kg mark. The wind started coming up around 11:00 so I rowed back for lunch...
 

Well done on the yellows on dry Herman! What colours were the Elk Hairs' that you used?

Thanks Rory, the packet says Bleached Elk Hair, it is virtually the same colour as the natural, almost a cream.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Kumz on May 03, 2012, 06:04:10 AM

.....nearly did the shuffle twice after being hit by branches.....
 

You didn't shuffle at all? Impressive, most impressive!!   :crzy
:clwn (bat (bat (bat
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on May 13, 2012, 07:17:53 PM
I had a quick sortie at YFP this morning. Boat inflated and on the water at 07:00.
Wind was very still so I thought "here we go".
 
Got to the spot and watched, and watched, and watched. The rises were here and then there  :dunno:  so I picked the better looking area.
 
Fishing my favourite foam fly I had 2 refusals, so switched to an EHK in tandam. I managed 2 small SM yellows ( around 700 grams ) and then it went dead.
 
Changed to dry and dropper about 500mm below and picked up another 700 grm odd fish on the dropper.
 
The wind came up at around 10:30, so I called it a day.
 
 All said another BRILLIANT morning on the water. :clwn w;k :-)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on May 14, 2012, 05:05:32 PM
Thanks for the update Herman .
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: schloshd1 on May 14, 2012, 06:50:50 PM
Nicely done Herman Did you try fishing streamers around the dropoff there?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on May 14, 2012, 07:09:57 PM
Nicely done Herman Did you try fishing streamers around the dropoff there?

Sssshhhh about the drop off (bat (bat (bat
 
That is for this Sat afternoon session. w;k
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on May 20, 2012, 06:23:24 PM
Yesterday ( Sat 19th ) afternoon saw me pay another visit to GVP.
When I left home in Vanderbijl at 11:30 it was warm with a gentle breeze blowing. :-)
 
Half way there the breeze turned into a strong wind. On arrival it was blowing  :unhap :unhap
 
So what do you do ? Blow up the boat and carry on of course  :crzy
Whilst hand pumping the front pontoons my hand pump body snaps, clean in half :unhap . OK so it's a fierce upstream wind and softish front pontoons, so what to do  :dunno:  Carry on of course. :crzy
 
Rowing up in a fierce cross wind with less than hard front pontoons proved difficult. Got the boat to the now normal parking spot, payed the ferryman ( with a beer  w;k  ) and watched, and watched and watched.
 
After about 45 minutes I noticed that despite the wind there was some surface activity about 15 m out and 10 downstream. I got the 3rd cast in the right general area and watched my fly disappear. No splashy whack, it just disappeared, so I lifted in and was on.
 
The fish gave me a good run hither and thither and had it in the net after about 5 minutes. The fish was in perfect nick and probably weighed in at around 2.8 kg.
 
After that I had 2 misses and then that was it for the rest of the day. Enjoyed the time honing up some new skills for getting a fly a full fly line length out and into the feeding zone without casting more than 15 - 20m , across and down. Must say the wind really helped here.
 
Please excuse the pics but I did not have my Appie around ( sorry Pieter  :crzy  ).
All 3 are of the same fish. 1st shows the length ( more or less ), 2nd the foam fly that is proving so successful, 3rd an idea of the girth of the fish. The head was lying on my elbow. :-)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on May 20, 2012, 08:17:11 PM
Nice fish Herman  :rck" Thanks for the report.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on May 20, 2012, 08:33:20 PM
Thanks Craig,
When are you joining us ?  :fshn: :frid :craz:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Monster on May 20, 2012, 09:01:49 PM
Nice Herman!
 
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on May 21, 2012, 08:01:42 PM
Eish Herman hopefully soon. Graft been woes the last month or so.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: UrbanFF on May 22, 2012, 09:39:57 AM
Sunday the 20th May 2012, I fished the Elgro drift and among 3 of us we caught 1 smallie on an MSP. We saw monster caddis and mayfly hatches with no feeding activity at all. I also spoke with guys who fished Strome and Vaalstreams with similar results.


Am wondering what other results if any the UA guys had on the Vaal on Sunday?



I guess that the cold front coming in and the barometric fall was a lot more influential than I usually give it credit for :)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on May 22, 2012, 10:04:43 AM
The barometric fall was so bad that I could not get out of bed to go fish. But it might have been due to the fall I had the day before.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on May 22, 2012, 10:11:53 AM
The barometric fall was so bad that I could not get out of bed to go fish. But it might have been due to the fall I had the day before.

 :wtr: :wtr: :wtr: :wtr: :wtr: :wtr: :wtr: :wtr: :wtr: :wtr: :wtr: :wtr:  as poef praat geld was !!!!!!!!!!!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on May 22, 2012, 10:13:44 AM
if only  :crzy
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on May 22, 2012, 10:14:22 AM

I guess that the cold front coming in and the barometric fall was a lot more influential than I usually give it credit for :)

Think you are spot on there .
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: UrbanFF on May 27, 2012, 07:12:01 PM
Fished GVP today and had some funnies, took a 3kg carp on a black leggy wooly bugger casting at structure looking for LMY and then took a nice Muddie on an Elkhair Caddis targeting SMY. Confused!
[/size]Apart from the wind pumping all conditions looked good, fickle fish ;)
[/size]
[/size]Until next time.
[/size]
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on May 27, 2012, 07:16:39 PM
Well done on the winter Carp.  (clap)
 
Whereabouts at GVP were you fishing?
 
Wading or flotation ?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: UrbanFF on May 27, 2012, 07:20:11 PM
Did it the hard way and waded as I was with 3 people who had no floatation.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on May 27, 2012, 07:25:53 PM
I may have posted this in the wrong place. But have a look at http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=9958.msg151539#new (http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=9958.msg151539#new)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on May 27, 2012, 07:27:22 PM
Did it the hard way and waded as I was with 3 people who had no floatation.

OK, I have a good idea of where you were fishing :shk :crzy w;k
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: UrbanFF on May 27, 2012, 07:33:53 PM
One day we will fish together  :clwn
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on June 04, 2012, 08:06:42 AM
So me and Herman did a little trip to GVP yesterday. With almost perfect wind conditions I thought that today I will get my first fish on dry fly but this proved not to be the day. There was very little activity on the water apart from a sole fish that was beyond my reach, and I lost sight of my fly after 15m so could not drift it to the area. I then decided to try my trusty black nymph under a stike indicator but same also lost sight of it after a few meters. Just as I was about to give up all hope a beast decided that he liked my nymph and took of in the direction of Parys. After taking my about 15-20m into my backing the cats paw between my leader and tippet gave way. That was the only action we saw the whole day. If any of you find a fish with a back nymph in its mouth - I want the fly back!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on June 04, 2012, 08:20:57 PM
Thanks for the report Pieter. (clap)
 
 I am now convinced that the reason you are loosing these big fish is rod vs tippet. You are fishing a 7# rod, which is great for Largies, however on 2x leader and 4x tippet you just don't have the tippet protection of a lighter rod.
 
Next time we go out together I will take my Stealth Classic 1, and you fish with the Scott.
I'm willing to bet you will cast more accurately and land every fish you hook. :hehe:
 
The importance of rod vs tippet can not be underestimated. I used to fish summer with a Stealth 10 ft 6# bomber. Lost plenty fish and plenty flies. I now fish the Scott 9ft 5# SAS and have lost very few fish and less flies than before.
 
The Bomber is now my Largie, Estuariy, Shore stick. It has the same OOOMMPPPHH as a normal 8/9 # except for the Elbe 8/9/10 which has the Ooommmppphh of a 12/13.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on June 05, 2012, 07:59:45 AM
Thank you herman! I was thinking the same thing.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: UrbanFF on June 27, 2012, 04:51:12 PM
Winter LMY drift this weekend - A couple of last minute cancellations have opened 2 slots on the Elgro drift this weekend , call me if you can squeeze in a little winter large mouth Yellowfish action, the weather forecasts for this weekend in Potchefstroom are ideal.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on July 01, 2012, 05:41:54 PM
I did a recce today for next weekends Ultimate trip.
 
Got to the venue around 11:00, and was blown away. No wind, sunny skies, warm temp, and a water temp of around 13 deg. :yipee:
 
Alas, NO fish rising :-( . What the hell, it has to get better with these conditions I thought.
Boat blown up and off we go. A few Carp trying to prove that they are sea to air missiles, ( Quite spectacular to see a 8kg + Carp launch it's self clean out the water :-)  ).
 
Get to the spot around 12:00 and wait for the midday hatch, which didn't happen  :dunno: , even though the conditions were perfect. :dunno: :dunno:
 
So what to do ???????  Tied on a Speed Kop Wooly bugger and tested the drop offs. Nothing  :dunno: . Changed to a Copper MSP, nothing. :dunno:
 
Waded back to the boat for some sustenance and changed back to a Speed Kop. Cast from the boat into the tail out of a tail out, and fish on. :happ:  It ran me hither and thither on the first run, so I knew it was a Largie. After about 5 - 10 minutes it was  landed. Just over 2.6 kg, but alas the camera was still in the car duh duh .
 
That was the only action for the day, except for a lot of casting practise. :blush:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: schloshd1 on July 01, 2012, 07:38:28 PM
Brilliant Herman! Well done man! There haven't been too many caught so far this season that I have heard of, great stuff! Too bad about the camera, but every largie is trophy and I'm sure the memories will stay with you for a very long time.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on July 02, 2012, 07:44:43 AM
Nice going Herman!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Kumz on July 02, 2012, 07:52:30 AM
 (clap) Nice one
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: UrbanFF on July 02, 2012, 08:39:01 AM
Well done Herman, we also tried this weekend at Elgro and with 6 rods on Sat and 3 on Sun we only managed 3 solid hits but none netted .
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on July 22, 2012, 05:13:19 PM
With the beutifull weather of yesterday and the similar promised for today, I decided at the last minute to visit GVP today.  :-)
 
Gear was packed quickly and I hit the water around 11:00 after blowing up the boat etc. The wind was still quietish so I rowed down to where I had seen some action earlier. Threw a wooly bugger for 1/2 an hour in a 360 deg circle and nada.  :dunno:
 
Rowed up to the main outflow of the next pool, ( where there are 3 tail outs ), and fished all 3 with different buggers. Eventually got a bump on the trusty speetkop, but I think it took short, ( fly missing some marabou tail.! )
After another 15 minutes in the same area I rowed up to my favourite spot, and sat and watched.
 
Nothing on the surface whatsoever, threw the streamers where I got the last LM, but NADA. :dunno: 
 
Come 14:00 and the wind was pumping in gusts, ( AGAIN , so much for wind still balmy days in winter :unhap . )
 
At 14:30 after trying a few drifts ( out of desperation, ) with 2 drys in tandem, I decided it was time to go home.
 
I did notice 2 f/f who had entered at Strome and waded virtually all the way up to the bottom of GVP.  :shk  Couldn't see if they got anything though.
 
Vis was poor, for this time of the year ( around 20 cms ) and flows low enogh for me to see many rocks upriver that are normally submerged.
 
All in all another brilliant "learning" day on the Vaal in winter. w;k w;k
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on July 23, 2012, 07:46:16 AM
Sorry about my poor wind prediction but Wind Guru lied to me :cnfzd
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on July 23, 2012, 10:15:37 AM
Come on Summer !!!  :cry:
 
 
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on July 23, 2012, 10:20:37 AM
Come on Summer !!!  :cry:

Craig why not join us the weekend is the weather holds?
Summer is fun but you will be seriously tested in winter.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: UrbanFF on July 23, 2012, 10:24:49 AM
Come on Summer !!!  :cry:


Hi Garrick - I couldn't agree more -     :spinwheel: [size=78%]for[/size] :sshine:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on July 23, 2012, 10:27:40 AM
Come on Summer !!!  :cry:

Craig why not join us the weekend is the weather holds?
Summer is fun but you will be seriously tested in winter.

 :wtr:   Pietertjie , soon old Chap . Need to add a Yellow on a dry fly to my catch list  :happ:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on July 23, 2012, 10:38:03 AM
I also need one of those!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on July 30, 2012, 09:02:52 PM
Not strictly the Vaal River, but Pieter and I visited a trib of the Vaal yesterday ( Sunday ) for a change of scenery.
 
It was f*****g cold early on with frost on the bonnet, WHILST we were driving ! :shk
 
Meanless to say that once we had stopped, the first things to be unloaded were the hip flasks,  w;k :-)
 
Got rigged up, whilst watching the water ( in between swigs from the flasks ) and headed off.
 
 Like a twit, I started on the wrong side of the stream and after fishing a point into a deep pool, realised I had to be on the other side, by the rocks. :blush:  Instead of walking back all the way to the bridge, I decided to wade over in the shallow rapids at the tail out of the pool, IN TRACK SHOES and SANS WADERS, or Wading staff,   :craz: duh  . I nearly saw my @rse about 4 times on a 5 meter wade in ankle deep water  :unhap , damn those rocks are slippery.  :-(
 
Eventually at my possie I started throwing Largie flys at every piece of structure in the pool I could reach, changing flies every 15 minutes or so. At arpund 11:00 I saw a rise to my left, and then a minute later again in the same spot. Changed fly to a dry and put it in the right spot, once, twice three times.
 
Then about 10 m across the pool I see a baitfish come out the water, tailwalking at a high rate of knots, with a V shaped "bow wave" of a LM just under the surface chasing it.  :shk
 
I got my line in, changed fly back to a streamer, and the fly in the water in less than 2 minutes.
 
Should not even have bothered  :blush: . That LM was by that time not in the area.
 
Score for the day was Fish 100, Herman 0.  :blush:   But that's winter at a venue you don't know.
 
Visibility was poor, at around 20 - 30 cm's. Flies used , virtually every one in all 4 fly boxes, dry's, beetles, hoppers, nymphs, caddis, wooley buggers, Go To's, damsels you name it.
 
Was it worth it ? Hell YES, a wonderfull stretch of water that definately needs to be expolred further, especially in early summer. w;k
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on August 12, 2012, 07:36:40 PM
I haven't fished the Vaal for 3 weeks now  :unhap  and am getting serious withdrawl symtoms.
 
Seeing that we are coming close to summer tactics ( my pool temp has gone up 3 deg this week, in spite of the snow on Tuesday  :-) ), I decided to start replenishing a very depleted "summer" fly box.
 
So today I've tied : 4 x Black nymphs # 13 and 4 in # 16,( the secret Vaal recipe noggal ). and 4 x PTN Orange Hotspot in #14.'
 
Other flies in the plan are : Olive GRHE, Tan Caddis, Chartreuse caddis, Mustard caddis, #16 & 18 V rib caddis, and a few Copper Johns in various colours.
 
What are the other members plans for what one hopes will be a great summer?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: UrbanFF on August 12, 2012, 07:47:06 PM
Hi Herman, Not quite an answer to your question but I will be taking an ARC to GVP tomorrow for one last bash at the LMYs - if I come right I'll post pictures and brag after the fly tying session at the TFTG so latish :)


I have a load of MSPs and Woolie buggers that still need to get wet.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on August 12, 2012, 08:49:43 PM
 :dunno:
Hi Herman, Not quite an answer to your question but I will be taking an ARC to GVP tomorrow for one last bash at the LMYs - if I come right I'll post pictures and brag after the fly tying session at the TFTG so latish :)


I have a load of MSPs and Woolie buggers that still need to get wet.

Eeiisshh Richard, fishing on a workday ???????????  :dunno:
 
A cold front come through VDB yesterday and today, with high, cold winds. ( Hence my not fishing)
 
Good Luck and tight lines, be prepared to row, and don't forget the corners I showed you on our last trip. w;k w;k
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on August 13, 2012, 07:45:28 AM
I haven't fished the Vaal for 3 weeks now  :unhap  and am getting serious withdrawl symtoms.
 
Seeing that we are coming close to summer tactics ( my pool temp has gone up 3 deg this week, in spite of the snow on Tuesday  :-) ), I decided to start replenishing a very depleted "summer" fly box.
 
So today I've tied : 4 x Black nymphs # 13 and 4 in # 16,( the secret Vaal recipe noggal ). and 4 x PTN Orange Hotspot in #14.'
 
Other flies in the plan are : Olive GRHE, Tan Caddis, Chartreuse caddis, Mustard caddis, #16 & 18 V rib caddis, and a few Copper Johns in various colours.
 
What are the other members plans for what one hopes will be a great summer?

No Humpy's Favourites???  (bat  Best I get tying as well, my summer fly stocks are low!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on August 14, 2012, 07:25:45 PM
I haven't fished the Vaal for 3 weeks now  :unhap  and am getting serious withdrawl symtoms.
 
Seeing that we are coming close to summer tactics ( my pool temp has gone up 3 deg this week, in spite of the snow on Tuesday  :-) ), I decided to start replenishing a very depleted "summer" fly box.
 
So today I've tied : 4 x Black nymphs # 13 and 4 in # 16,( the secret Vaal recipe noggal ). and 4 x PTN Orange Hotspot in #14.'
 
Other flies in the plan are : Olive GRHE, Tan Caddis, Chartreuse caddis, Mustard caddis, #16 & 18 V rib caddis, and a few Copper Johns in various colours.
 
What are the other members plans for what one hopes will be a great summer?

No Humpy's Favourites???  (bat  Best I get tying as well, my summer fly stocks are low!

They are in the plan.  :crzy  Finally got some decent #8 & 10 hooks, so will be tying some up. Can't give away all the secrets now can we. :crzy w;k
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: UrbanFF on August 15, 2012, 11:08:13 AM
:dunno:
Hi Herman, Not quite an answer to your question but I will be taking an ARC to GVP tomorrow for one last bash at the LMYs - if I come right I'll post pictures and brag after the fly tying session at the TFTG so latish :)


I have a load of MSPs and Woolie buggers that still need to get wet.

Eeiisshh Richard, fishing on a workday ???????????  :dunno:
 
A cold front come through VDB yesterday and today, with high, cold winds. ( Hence my not fishing)
 
Good Luck and tight lines, be prepared to row, and don't forget the corners I showed you on our last trip. w;k w;k


We rowed all over , we fished hard but once again nothing to show for our efforts. The water was 8.5 deg flow was +- 20 cums and vis was OK, I did notice that even a GVP the water is very salty these days , not a good omen for the future, has any one else noticed this increase in salt ?
Watched a load of mayflies hatch and it was fascinating to us but clearly not to the SMYs :).
I left a number of flies in the river, taken by rock fish but other than that we got 0 attention.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on August 16, 2012, 08:06:39 PM
I haven't fished the Vaal for 3 weeks now  :unhap  and am getting serious withdrawl symtoms.
 
Seeing that we are coming close to summer tactics ( my pool temp has gone up 3 deg this week, in spite of the snow on Tuesday  :-) ), I decided to start replenishing a very depleted "summer" fly box.
 
So today I've tied : 4 x Black nymphs # 13 and 4 in # 16,( the secret Vaal recipe noggal ). and 4 x PTN Orange Hotspot in #14.'
 
Other flies in the plan are : Olive GRHE, Tan Caddis, Chartreuse caddis, Mustard caddis, #16 & 18 V rib caddis, and a few Copper Johns in various colours.
 
What are the other members plans for what one hopes will be a great summer?

Here is a pic of thr best Mustard Caddis I have ever tied :happ:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on August 17, 2012, 07:24:06 AM
 :bow: Super fly Herman!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on August 20, 2012, 08:05:10 PM
Thanks Rory.
 
With my pool temp up to 15 and the promise of little wind, I took a spur of the moment trip to GVP yesterday morning. Got there just before sunrise to a river looking like a mirror. Flat, shiny and NO rises.  :dunno: :dunno:
 
Got onto the water around 07:00 with the water temp around 13 ( I guess ).
Rowed up to my favourite spot and drifted a tandem of dries all over the place, hoping to bring a fish up from below.
 
 After about an hour of this, I decided to go big. Tied on a Spietkop on a # 8 hook, but didn"t cut off the 4X tippet, tied to the 12 lb Maxima leader. My first cast to the area where I got the LM 3 weeks ago and I get picked up, again on the drop. :happ:  Can't say for definate what it was 'cos the fight lasted a whole 30 seconds before I was snapped off on the tippet. :unhap :unhap . With the Scott 5# I have turned and landed 3.8kg SM this winter as well as 2.8 kg LM, and a 5.8kg Barbel,
Yesterday NO CHANCE, so I am assuming it was a biggish LM. :unhap :unhap . At least I know where it hangs out, and will be back in 2 weeks time, with straight 12lb Maxima.  w;k
 
The rest of the morning entailed rowing all over the place, fishing all likely tail outs, even the " muddie hole " with nearly every fly I had on me, BLANK.
 
Oh ya the vis was only about 25 cm's and guesss what, the " Rock Snot " has already started growing :unhap :unhap
 
Picking venues untill the first flush is going to be tricky. :crzy :crzy
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Debbie on August 20, 2012, 08:14:35 PM
Herman what do you fish from? tough luck with the break off, that can be frustrating.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on August 20, 2012, 09:45:52 PM
Herman what do you fish from? tough luck with the break off, that can be frustrating.

Debbie, at GVP I use the ARK Croc 2 inflatable with the blow up floor. It's now 6 years old and has never let me down.  :-)  I actually bought it because the wading at GVP is really, really hard. It makes getting to far away spots so much quicker and easier w;k  I get to a spot in 10 minutes that would take a competent wader an hour to reach. :shk
 
As far as the break off, I only have myself to blame, I should have cut off the light tippet before attaching the fly. Stupid mistake. :blush: :blush:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Debbie on August 21, 2012, 07:47:42 AM
I have a Mariner 4 which I use when competing with my daughter.  I dont suppose a kick boat would be suitable?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on August 21, 2012, 08:24:26 AM
Kick Boat will work.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Debbie on August 21, 2012, 08:34:32 AM
Thanks for that
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Keemo on August 21, 2012, 09:08:29 AM
Hey Guys
I spent a day on the vaal about a month ago... You guys helped me with some local info and I promised a report, I feel terrible cause I never came back with one and I do apologise... I know its late now but for what its worth we caught nothing, zilch, nada.. The wind started howling quite early and we gave up in the early hours of the afternoon.

The scallies on the KZN side though have been making some appearances and we have been targeting them the last two weeks and I must say its good to have a yellow on the end of the line after a season of trout fishing.

I know this thread is for the vaal river but ill post some pics of the scallies we found in the mooi the last two weeks just for interest sake and I hope to hear from you guys on whats happening on the Vaal

 :uarocks
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on August 21, 2012, 09:23:12 AM
Some super fish there Keemo!  :win:  Where were you fishing?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on August 21, 2012, 09:27:38 AM
Rory are you also thinking of a little road trip?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Keemo on August 21, 2012, 09:32:30 AM
This is the stretch of the mooi river between Mooi River and Greytown if you planning a trip down here make a pit stop in nottingham road at the WildFly fishing shop and talk to Juan. If there's one guy that can put you into some fish it would be him, you can also organize a guided day with Juan and there are some good rivers in the area you can fish for some scallies.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on August 21, 2012, 09:46:35 AM
Rory are you also thinking of a little road trip?

Maybe.... :hnthnt:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on August 21, 2012, 09:54:32 AM
 :rck"
Those waters scream to be fished
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on August 22, 2012, 07:11:48 PM
I have a Mariner 4 which I use when competing with my daughter.  I dont suppose a kick boat would be suitable?

Debbie, the Mariner would be fine at GVP and most other winter venues.
 
However the first venue I intend taking you to is very easy wading, no need for a boat. With the temps warming up quickly middle Sept looks good for me for the specific venue I have in mind. w;k
 
O will be in touch after you have moved. :-)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: UrbanFF on August 22, 2012, 10:58:39 PM
Sharing is caring  :frid
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on August 23, 2012, 07:25:22 PM
Sharing is caring  :frid

Depending on the weather, and the "Rock Snot" I may just turn the trip into the first Ultimate Vaal trip of the season. :clwn :frid
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on August 23, 2012, 08:27:01 PM
Right... Time to get back into this !

Herman, would you please be so kind as to keep me in mind, and I will in turn remember an extra special suitable beverage for you !

Guess I need to start getting a kit together soon !
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: UrbanFF on August 23, 2012, 11:24:47 PM

Guess I need to start getting a kit together soon !
.......and I Noah guy :)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: UrbanFF on August 30, 2012, 10:14:09 AM
@ YFP The average Flow Rate is 15.111 Cubic Meter per second measured on 30 August 2012. The water temperature is 14.0 Degrees Celsius.
[/size]Enjoy this Sunday - I will be unable to get to the Vaal but will be with you in spitit - am thinking of hitting Eendekuil on the Sunday 9th Sept instead.[/color]
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on August 30, 2012, 11:07:09 AM
Guess I need to start getting a kit together soon !

Gnomes your Trout set up if perfect for the Vaal , just nick the Mrs. broom stick for a wading stick  w;k
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: christosch on August 31, 2012, 07:42:22 PM
Hey guys - thinking of going to Eendekuil on Sunday. Is it maybe a bit too early or do we stand a chance of catching anything?? LM or SM?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: UrbanFF on August 31, 2012, 08:34:46 PM
we were there last weekend and it was hard but fish are moving try te 1st run under Tim's lawn between the falls and the willow else get a boat and ift that big pool towards mount Zion and the Dolomite ridge We ill be there next sunday the 9th.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on August 31, 2012, 09:07:30 PM
Guess I need to start getting a kit together soon !

Gnomes your Trout set up if perfect for the Vaal , just nick the Mrs. broom stick for a wading stick  w;k

Yup, that's what I used the last time with Rory, Herman and Nico.

Need a vest, and more importantly, flies and wading boots.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: UrbanFF on August 31, 2012, 09:26:49 PM
Spring sale @ urban tomorrow 20percent off every thing   
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: UrbanFF on September 01, 2012, 01:26:09 PM
we were there last weekend and it was hard but fish are moving try te 1st run under Tim's lawn between the falls and the willow else get a boat and ift that big pool towards mount Zion and the Dolomite ridge We ill be there next sunday the 9th.


I have a new rig - Vision GT4 10' 6wt with the Koma+ reel and it is going to get christened on the 9th at Eendekuil am keen to hear how you go tomorrow.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: christosch on September 02, 2012, 07:20:12 PM
So my fishing buddy bailed on me - think he had a big babbie after the WP game last night!!! I decided to go to Woelwaters as I've never been to Eendekuil and don't know the water there. Water was very cold (Leeukoud) and the grass white with frost. I tried the fly but only caught rocksnot!! Switched over to rapalas and deeper water, also nothing!!! There were a couple of conventional anglers and they got nothing as well. Can't believe it - my first blank session of the year!!!
 :blush:



Hope you have better luck next week urbanff
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on September 02, 2012, 07:29:19 PM
Guess I need to start getting a kit together soon !

Gnomes your Trout set up if perfect for the Vaal , just nick the Mrs. broom stick for a wading stick  w;k

Yup, that's what I used the last time with Rory, Herman and Nico.

Need a vest, and more importantly, flies and wading boots.

Homes, I have a spare vest which you can have.  w;k
 
Only condition is that you join us in the next 2 weekends.  :hehe: :hehe:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on September 02, 2012, 07:39:58 PM
So my fishing buddy bailed on me - think he had a big babbie after the WP game last night!!! I decided to go to Woelwaters as I've never been to Eendekuil and don't know the water there. Water was very cold (Leeukoud) and the grass white with frost. I tried the fly but only caught rocksnot!! Switched over to rapalas and deeper water, also nothing!!! There were a couple of conventional anglers and they got nothing as well. Can't believe it - my first blank session of the year!!!
 :blush:
Christo, wrong venue for the time of the year.  w;k   There again if you don't "prospect" you will never find the "right" venue. :-)
 
Regarding it being the "First Blank of the Year " , have you been fishing the Vaal throughout winter without blanking. ??????  :corrct: :corrct:
 
If so, please PM me the venues.


Hope you have better luck next week urbanff
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: UrbanFF on September 02, 2012, 11:35:44 PM
So my fishing buddy bailed on me - think he had a big babbie after the WP game last night!!! I decided to go to Woelwaters as I've never been to Eendekuil and don't know the water there. Water was very cold (Leeukoud) and the grass white with frost. I tried the fly but only caught rocksnot!! Switched over to rapalas and deeper water, also nothing!!! There were a couple of conventional anglers and they got nothing as well. Can't believe it - my first blank session of the year!!!
 :blush:



Hope you have better luck next week urbanff
I'll do a report back, better yet you're welcome to join us as I do know the waters there quite well.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: christosch on September 03, 2012, 08:33:24 AM
So my fishing buddy bailed on me - think he had a big babbie after the WP game last night!!! I decided to go to Woelwaters as I've never been to Eendekuil and don't know the water there. Water was very cold (Leeukoud) and the grass white with frost. I tried the fly but only caught rocksnot!! Switched over to rapalas and deeper water, also nothing!!! There were a couple of conventional anglers and they got nothing as well. Can't believe it - my first blank session of the year!!!
 :blush:
Christo, wrong venue for the time of the year.  w;k   There again if you don't "prospect" you will never find the "right" venue. :-)
 
Regarding it being the "First Blank of the Year " , have you been fishing the Vaal throughout winter without blanking. ??????  :corrct: :corrct:
 
If so, please PM me the venues.


Hope you have better luck next week urbanff
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: christosch on September 03, 2012, 08:41:03 AM
Sorry - my reply dissapeared and posted only my pics -
 
Herman,
Since the birth of my son in Feb I don't see the water as much as I'd like. I don't fly the vaal in winter. I rather do a couple of trips with family and friends to nice venues - We went to Engogo earlier and Sekoma 3 weeks ago.
 
One of the species i'd like to catch on fly is a nice LM - so I'll have to brave the cold next year.
 
I know it's very early in the season, but as the saying goes - the best bait is the one in the water.
 
Thanks everyone for the informative thread - amateurs like me really appreciate the knowledge you guys share.
 
The pics were taken at Sekoma - I'm busy writing a report so keep em peeled.
 
Thanks
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on September 03, 2012, 08:47:30 AM

Homes, I have a spare vest which you can have.  w;k
 
Only condition is that you join us in the next 2 weekends.  :hehe: :hehe:

Awesome !

 :tkx: Herman...

Only hassle is, Im out of town, so will only make it after the 29th !
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on September 03, 2012, 08:57:37 AM
It seems saturday's keg got to me when I said I am going to fish with you on sunday. I have to go to the inlaws on sunday :(
But I will still show my face for breakfast and then make a quick run home!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on September 03, 2012, 10:12:42 AM
It seems saturday's keg got to me when I said I am going to fish with you on sunday. I have to go to the inlaws on sunday :(
But I will still show my face for breakfast and then make a quick run home!

The  :wtr: :wtr: :wtr:  again ??? :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on September 03, 2012, 10:15:15 AM
Yes Craig it was the water and if joined us at the social you would have had some of it as well.

Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on September 04, 2012, 08:37:33 PM
It seems saturday's keg got to me when I said I am going to fish with you on sunday. I have to go to the inlaws on sunday :(
But I will still show my face for breakfast and then make a quick run home!

Breakfast at 06:00 at the gate. However knowing me I will be there at 05:45. w;k
 
For being a " Forgetfull Young Man " your strafdop is a "Toothbrush "  w;k  for everyone there between 06:00 and 07:00, PLUS one for you for every one who has had one. :hnthnt: :hnthnt:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on September 07, 2012, 08:10:04 PM
As expected, with the good rains of the last few days the Barrage is releasing 75 tons/second.
Goose Bay is reading close on 80. :happ: :happ:
 
Great news indeed as this flush "should" clear a lot of the rock snot that has been building as well as clear the detrimus lying on the bottom.
 
Forget fishing the Middle Vaal this weekend, fishing on dropping flows doesn't work, and the water will still be dirty. Rather tie flies. :crzy
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: UrbanFF on September 07, 2012, 09:20:04 PM
As expected, with the good rains of the last few days the Barrage is releasing 75 tons/second.
Goose Bay is reading close on 80. :happ: :happ:
 
Great news indeed as this flush "should" clear a lot of the rock snot that has been building as well as clear the detrimus lying on the bottom.
 
Forget fishing the Middle Vaal this weekend, fishing on dropping flows doesn't work, and the water will still be dirty. Rather tie flies. :crzy
fog it I am trying on Sunday 
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on September 10, 2012, 01:33:57 PM
Went out on Sunday morning to wet a line with Rory and Herman. I was only able to fish for about 1 hour as I overslept and had to leave early to go to the inlaws.

The water was cold and I blanked not sure about the others! Note I am standing on the side with Herman sitting on the other side with what could only be described as dutch courage  and the only clown in the water being Rory
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on September 10, 2012, 08:12:03 PM
Went out on Sunday morning to wet a line with Rory and Herman. I was only able to fish for about 1 hour as I overslept and had to leave early to go to the inlaws.

The water was cold and I blanked not sure about the others! Note I am standing on the side with Herman sitting on the other side with what could only be described as dutch courage  and the only clown in the water being Rory

 :dunno:  How do you think I got to the other side  duh  By wading across. And on the way I had a little "OOPS" which wet me up to my armpits, with a trickle in the waders :cnfzd
 
With the water temp at 10 - 12 deg, I was actually trying to thaw out when you took the pick.
 
Fishing wise Rory, got into a nice fish which ran him around a bit before shaking the hook. :-(
 
Pieter got a " Rock Fish " which fought back,  :shk :shk
 
And I got 2 " Line Fish " one was about 20 meters of braid,  and the other about 15 meters of around 30 lb nylon with an 04 offset hook on the end.  :shk
 
Never knew there were sharks in the Vaal.  :dunno: :dunno:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on September 11, 2012, 08:15:29 AM
Herman just kidding!  :crzy
Good to see that the fish are almost back in the rapids!
Where in the stream did Rory hook his fish and on what?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on September 11, 2012, 12:35:09 PM
Herman just kidding!  :crzy
Good to see that the fish are almost back in the rapids!
Where in the stream did Rory hook his fish and on what?

Nice mornings fishing, thanks chasps. Personally I don't think I've ever experienced the Vaal that cold, saying the water was freezing is an understatement! Pieter I got him right where I'm standing in your photo. I had a chartreuse and black "humpys favourite" on for the control fly, and a standard green rock worm type caddis jol fly on a revolving dropper. For a change, he took the Humpy's  w;k
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on September 11, 2012, 12:44:58 PM
Thanks Rory - I was fishing almost the same patterns as you - but that warm fuzzy mother in law feeling made get out of the water.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on September 11, 2012, 12:52:47 PM
I pulled a nice big branch out of the middle of that run, and did a little gogga inspection: the caddis were small, easily a size 18 hook, no bigger. Their abdomens were whitesh/grey in colour not green at all. I can remember a year or two back, further downstream, myself and Nico hammered the yellows on small grey caddis imitations just like these guys. The mayflies were big, about size 16 hooks, pitch black colour and long tails.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Monster on September 11, 2012, 12:55:28 PM
Hi Gents
I heard my name beieg used in vane:)
 
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on September 11, 2012, 01:17:14 PM
The mayflies were big, about size 16 hooks, pitch black colour and long tails.

That is the pattern I used down river, but with a bit of purple UV flash in it - The muddies could not say away from it!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on September 11, 2012, 01:20:15 PM
Hi Gents
I heard my name beieg used in vane:)

Yes the browser loaded your name three times and here you are w;k
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on September 11, 2012, 07:43:40 PM
Hi Gents
I heard my name beieg used in vane:)

Once again, IF YOU ANSWERED YOUR PHONE,  :hnthnt: :hnthnt: (bat (bat 
you would have been invited to join us. :crzy :crzy
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Monster on September 12, 2012, 07:36:20 AM
Ag Herman
the cell phone and I have a very touch and go relationship. Especially over week ends. I touch it on a friday and then I go... only to touch it again n monday morning.
Sorry for missing your call
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on September 12, 2012, 08:11:23 AM
Ag Herman
the cell phone and I have a very touch and go relationship. Especially over week ends. I touch it on a friday and then I go... only to touch it again n monday morning.
Sorry for missing your call

Theres a strafdop in this somewhere....
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Monster on September 12, 2012, 08:12:56 AM
There probably is Rory, but if my cell was the source of straf doppe I would never be souber!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on September 12, 2012, 08:14:51 AM
There probably is Rory, but if my cell was the source of straf doppe I would never be souber!

Lol!! I also want one of those phones!!!! :rotfl
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Monster on September 12, 2012, 12:22:55 PM
What do you think of these?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on September 12, 2012, 01:02:05 PM
Very, very nice! Are those tungsten beads? Can I place an order?
 
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Monster on September 12, 2012, 01:06:40 PM
Jip, size 8 hook with 2X 4mm tungsten beads. Do you think it will get down:)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on September 12, 2012, 01:13:21 PM
For sure!!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on September 12, 2012, 07:17:41 PM
Jip, size 8 hook with 2X 4mm tungsten beads. Do you think it will get down:)

Great flies Nico.  (clap)
 
No floods predicted for this year, so I assume you are going for the fast deep runs this summer :dunno: :crzy :-)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Monster on September 13, 2012, 08:17:45 AM
Jip Herman, or I can move them with my rod tip giving me a slower presentation in faster water.
 
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on September 23, 2012, 03:02:27 PM
Seeing that Monster ( Nico ) wil NOT answer his phone after 12:00 on a Friday, :nuts: it was just Rory, Pieter and I that rtested Siverstrome this morning.
 
The first 3 runs are full of water grass, and we went staight through to the far side, to the area known as "Heathrow" where one is landed every minute.
 
B*ll Sh**.  :unhap 
 
Even though we had a constant Caddis hatch, of different sub -species for nearly 3 hours solid, we battled to get fish.
 
Pieter hoked and lost a nice muddie  ( STRAFDOP ) , Rory and I both had on offs, and Pieter then landed a muddie , hand landed noggal, :resp: , as he didn't have a net (ANOTHER STRAFDOP ).
 
I wet waded and guestimate the temp at around 16 - 17 deg. Vis was around 30 cms.
 
Some pics of the morning.
 
If you look carefully Pieter is actually fighting a fish.
There are 3 different Caddis' on my leg.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on September 23, 2012, 03:16:25 PM
OOPPSS , forgot to resize the pics first, Here we go again.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on September 23, 2012, 03:20:34 PM
Lets try again. :dunno:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Monster on September 24, 2012, 08:30:04 AM
Jaja, Herman, I got home late and had to pack for an artlure outing on Saturday. Tried phoning you on sunday and this morning. anyway next time gents.
 
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on September 25, 2012, 08:03:16 AM
Nice day on the river this Sunday. As Herman said the watergrass is seriously thick. Wading through the first 3 runs was like trying to walk through wet cement. Thirsty work indeed. We then got stuck in a massive caddis hatch, there were so many pupae shucks and casings on the water, it literally looked like the surface of the water was covered with sawdust - very impressive! The fishing was tough, and being very rusty didn't really help either. Still good to get out of the "Big Smoke" and get onto the water, thanks Pieter and Herman for a super morning!
 
 
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on September 25, 2012, 01:15:16 PM
Was so rusty that I almost forgot what to do with a fish on the line, and the last fish I ended up with my line wrapped around the reel!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on September 25, 2012, 01:23:03 PM
Fished Geelvis this morning, with 3 muddies taken and 1 lost. All the fish was taken on green caddis. There was a hatch but nothing like we had on Sunday. Lost of fish rising but not having a flotation device meant that I could not reach them.
Saw something strange, a fish was jumping out of the water as if it was fighting against a line, it then turned belly up and just floated downstream. Not sure which species as it was as I could not get there in time. Any ideas why it would just die like that?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Prego on September 25, 2012, 03:29:14 PM
It skriked when it saw you!! :crzy
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on September 27, 2012, 07:47:49 AM
 :rotfl

It does take some time to get used to my face!
Will so another reccie tomorrow anybody in the mood for the Italians?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on October 08, 2012, 08:11:46 AM
Did my last outing until December at strome on friday. Saw lots of barbel activity in the grass and an absolute monster swam past me that made me stay clear of any grass. This did not help at all and I hooked a barbel that ran me all over the river for 10-15min it swam past me at once and it was longer than my wading stick! not good news on 3x tippet and a 5wt. It managed to swim into the grass after a hectic run downstream and cut me off in the grass.

Some of the other patrons I spoke to only got some muddies. And I learned that cows do not respect your drifting area and will wade right through it.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on October 08, 2012, 09:55:00 AM
Pieter is the watergrass worse, or still about the same?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on October 08, 2012, 01:29:12 PM
I thought it was worse could not do a drift without getting into the stuff, I did do a lot more wading than usual so saw a lot more of the stuff. And rock snot a plenty. Strydoms and GVP dont have the problem strydoms do have some snot but minor compared to strome.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: UrbanFF on October 08, 2012, 01:43:10 PM
We fished at Vaal de Sioleh on Sunday and had a great day - lashed Moggels, Barbel, Grass Carp, Muddies and Yellowfish - total haul for 6 rods was 50+ , some pictures here https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.419038101492305.99205.306554952740621&type=1&l=6fc5fc44a1 (feel free to like the page while you're there or join the mailing list)


A friend was at Strydoms on Sunday and only saw muddy action, he also said that rotting algae was causing vis and smell problems.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on October 17, 2012, 08:52:16 PM
The Christiana Fly Festival has come and gone. We were a total of 45 anglers, split into various groups ( or teams ). This event is EPIC as it is not a competition, but a Festival of like minded f/f who love fly fishing special waters that are opened to fishing once a year.
 
The flows are controlled via the release from Bloemhof, and were kept at 16 tons for the 3 days, ( too low IMHO,  I would have loved 20 - 25 ).
 
Catches this year were on a par, fewer than last year, however there were some serious SM yellows caught.
 
I had put in some serious tying before the trip, especially RED HUMPYS ( thanks Rory for reminding me ). 
 
My catch report is :
 
Barbel. 3.8 kg, 3.2 kg, and 2.6 kg. ( ALL on Red Humpys )
SM Yellow , 5 x less than 3.0 kg (all unweighed )
Muddies , 9, all less than  2.5 kg.
 
Rocks . A gazillion
Trees . About 6.
 
I will post pics once downloaded.
 
Already booked for next year. :happ:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on October 18, 2012, 07:38:01 AM
Nicely done - looking forward to seeing the pics Herman!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on October 18, 2012, 08:10:40 AM
Herman you forgot to mention the special soup you had!  :crzy
I so wish I could join bet leave and Studies are a problem.
 
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: UrbanFF on October 18, 2012, 01:09:34 PM
A small group of us went to scout a farm just down river from Orkney and conditions were good to OK for most of Saturday and Sunday (Gale force winds ) however we had a great fishing weekend and apart from the snot weed we caught on average 20 fish per person a day,mostly lots around >1 kg with 20 % over 3 kg and 3 fish over 5 kg[/size]The vis was >400mm and water temps around 19 deg.Apologies for the quality of the one image but it was taken on a BlackBerry - the fish had to be photographed as we estimate it's weight to be well over 5 kgs.The happy fishermen are Geoff Muir and Warrick BennettIn case I can't upload the pictures I have an album on the UrbanFlyfishers Face Book Page
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on October 18, 2012, 08:15:28 PM
A small group of us went to scout a farm just down river from Orkney and conditions were good to OK for most of Saturday and Sunday (Gale force winds ) however we had a great fishing weekend and apart from the snot weed we caught on average 20 fish per person a day,mostly lots around >1 kg with 20 % over 3 kg and 3 fish over 5 kgThe vis was >400mm and water temps around 19 deg.Apologies for the quality of the one image but it was taken on a BlackBerry - the fish had to be photographed as we estimate it's weight to be well over 5 kgs.The happy fishermen are Geoff Muir and Warrick BennettIn case I can't upload the pictures I have an album on the UrbanFlyfishers Face Book Page

I can believe that that is a 5kg + fish.  :shk
 
Well done. (clap) (clap) (clap)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on October 19, 2012, 07:38:41 AM
Hell thats a bus of a smallmouth!!!  :win: Well done to the angler! One day when I'm big.....
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on November 05, 2012, 08:46:38 PM
OK. Bryan and I fished Oord Nebo on Sunday. Water temp at 06:30 wa 19 deg, with a vis of around 20 - 30 cm's.
 
I foul hooked my first muddie after 5 minutes  on the water, and then it went pear shaped/ :cnfzd
 
So we waded upstream, and further upstream. :shk  Bryan quickly got 2 small yellows and me another muddie.
 
Bryan then found a honey hole ubder an overhanging tree, where he plucked 4 yellows in 4 casts. Unfortunately only 1 came to the net, which I waded 50 meters across the river to take a pic of, which Bryan let slip out of his hands before I could get the pic. :unhap :unhap
 
It was however a fish of aroubd 2.5 - 3 kg in beutifull colour. w;k
 
There were 2 very Bizarre hookups though.
 
Bryan was wading upstream with his rod over his shoulder and the flies trailing behind, when his rod was nearly ripped out of his hand, by a serious hit from a yellow. He fought as best as possible for bout 2 minutes, ( nearly into his backing , ) before the fish shook the hook. :shk
 
The second was when I came off a fly change, and sustenance intake from an island. My fly line was wrapped around the tip of the rod, so I put the flies into the water, parked the butt and real into the reeds and proceeded to unwind the fly line from the tip.
 
The next second a savage take, which I tried to set ( with my hand ) with 3 wraps of line around the tip.  The "fight" lasted a whole 2 seconds before the fish snapped the Gamakatsu  hook at the bend. :shk
 
All in all a great mornings fishing. :clwn
 
 
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on November 06, 2012, 07:31:41 AM
Nice going Herman!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on November 12, 2012, 03:08:15 PM
Fished a short morning session with Herman, Christo, Dion and Jaco at Eastco on Sunday morning. The fishing was generally slow, just like the flow rate! I started fishing using a 2 fly rig, and was having no luck at all just an on/off or two. I retied the leader moving to a 3 fly setup and imediately had a better hookup rate. Flies that produced were Humpy's Favourite, small black mayfly and a mustard caddis tied slim czech nymph style. Nice morning out, thanks guys!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on November 12, 2012, 08:32:49 PM
Fished a short morning session with Herman, Christo, Dion and Jaco at Eastco on Sunday morning. The fishing was generally slow, just like the flow rate! I started fishing using a 2 fly rig, and was having no luck at all just an on/off or two. I retied the leader moving to a 3 fly setup and imediately had a better hookup rate. Flies that produced were Humpy's Favourite, small black mayfly and a mustard caddis tied slim czech nymph style. Nice morning out, thanks guys!

Thanks for the report Rory.
All I can add is that I lost 1 muddie.  :unhap  And that was it for the day except for 2 sitdowns  :blush: , which for me I suppose is normal.
 
I will upload your pics once I get round to downloading them.  w;k
 
P.S. Do you want hem mailed to you as well, seeing you don't carry a camera anymore  :crzy
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on November 15, 2012, 02:56:51 PM
After a hectic morning, I decided to drown my sorrows at arendsnes.
And to say that it started badly was an understatement. After a strange incident I lost my only strike indicator, so I fished without it and lo and behold with in the next hour I landed 3 yellows and lost another 2, one being a heavy fellow.

What amazed me was the fact that not fishing a strike indicator increased my strike rate. I did not change my spot or the flies, the only difference was no indicator.

PS all fish was caught on a white hot spot
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on November 15, 2012, 07:43:55 PM
After a hectic morning, I decided to drown my sorrows at arendsnes.
And to say that it started badly was an understatement. After a strange incident I lost my only strike indicator, so I fished without it and lo and behold with in the next hour I landed 3 yellows and lost another 2, one being a heavy fellow.

What amazed me was the fact that not fishing a strike indicator increased my strike rate. I did not change my spot or the flies, the only difference was no indicator.

PS all fish was caught on a white hot spot

STRAFDOP X 2  :unhap
 
For someone who can't fish weekends due to study and exams, to fish during the week is just wrong. :shk
 
Nice report though.  w;k
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on November 16, 2012, 07:53:27 AM

......What amazed me was the fact that not fishing a strike indicator increased my strike rate. I did not change my spot or the flies, the only difference was no indicator....


(Insert Yoda voice) Hmmmm, to the dark side we welcome you...  :craz:
 
Thats well fished Pieter, depending entirely on the conditions, fishing without an indicator can be very productive.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on November 18, 2012, 12:25:32 PM
It was plenty fun, and I think luck was on my side as well.
Herman from next weekend I am a free man again  :happ:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on November 19, 2012, 09:29:32 PM
It was plenty fun, and I think luck was on my side as well.
Herman from next weekend I am a free man again  :happ:

Next weekend is out for me.  :unhap  The weekend after MAYBE on the Saterday  :dunno: /
 
Dion introduced me to Vaal Hackle last Sunday. What a magnificent piece of water. :rck" :rck"
 
It has everything you could ask for. Reasonably easy wading, rapids, glides, numerous islands with channels between. Stunning place indeed.
 
Got onto the water around 07:00, water temp 23 deg, visibilty about 15 - 20 cm's  :shk .
 
Fishing was in Dion's experience very poor for this venue. I waded across, up, down, hither and thither, into someone other properties water upstream ( unbeknown to me at the time ).
 
My tally for 6 hours fishing was 5 sm and 4 muddies, the biggest being a muddie of 2.5 kg.
 
Another GREAT day on the Vaal. :happ: :happ:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: UrbanFF on November 20, 2012, 05:09:10 PM
Fished Hakuna Matata on the 18th November - Access to Hakuna Matata can be managed by most vehicles with 4 wheels :) but once on the land the track down to the river does need to be negotiated carefully.[/size]This water is just down stream from the better know Vaal de Siloeh and is accessed from the opposite bank, it is well worth a visit as this water isn't fished as often as other more popular spots and has a nice variety of waters. Unless you stay there in one of the chalets there is no abultion or braai facilities so a roll of twin ply and sandwiches are the order of the day.[/color]
[/size]The fishing is excellent and there is a variety of water to choose from and also Niagara falls to be negotiated if you're brave.[/color]
[/size]The fish mainly fell to mayfly patterns , especially lighter ones and it was nice to watch Ken Quick catch his first fish on his self built 6 weight Scott.[/color]
[/size][/color]
[/size]Photo's of some of the fish are here : https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.436245516438230.103438.306554952740621&type=1 (https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.436245516438230.103438.306554952740621&type=1) [/color]
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on November 20, 2012, 06:58:50 PM
Nice report back Richard. (clap)
I need to Google Earth that section of the river as last Sunday was my first time in that section of water. :blush:
 
I'm sure we passed the Hakuna Mathata turnoff on the way to Vaal Hackle.
Kommando Nek has some really good looking water as well. :clwn
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on November 21, 2012, 08:01:30 AM

 
My tally for 6 hours fishing was 5 sm and 4 muddies, the biggest being a muddie of 2.5 kg.


The first weekend in dec I have to attend 4 different birthday parties, one of them My sons's so It it might be difficult for me. But from there I am as free as a corrupt President who controls the NPA.

I will take extra windhoek with me the weekend, because I am sure you will be there in spirit!

Anybody care to join me on the 5th somewhere?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Ettienne on November 27, 2012, 12:45:58 PM
A couple of us decided to spend the past weekend at Oord Nebo after enjoying a very successful weekend "there in October. We would be camping, enjoying the sunshine, fishing the Vaal, enjoy a braai with a couple of cold ones. The Swambos would be reading a book on painting.... something about Shades of Grey....
 
Anyways we decided to get out of Doge by 4 pm Friday afternoon and  set up camp the evening, have a boerie roll braai the hit the sack for an early morning session on the river. Just before leaving I realised I still had some E-Filing to do for SARS. The standard question. How much did you earn? How much do you have left? We will take that as well, thank you.... my small contribution to road improvements at Nakandla...
 
So we left at 5pm. Bakkie packed, ready for a relaxing weekend and looking forward to chasing a PB Yellow from the river! Man this was going to be good.... Driving into Potch my enthusiasm started to wane a wee bit. The size of the Cumulu.... Cimolumbus.... Thunder clouds rolling in from Free State was gianormous. We were driving into a perfect Free State storm called Sannie... A mother of a storm... The rain was hard, it felt like driving through a waterfall, the viz was 5m and you could only drive super slow. As with all good things that come to pass, the storm subsided although it continued to rain when we arrived at the camp site.
 
Now i like camping. There is just something refreshing about sleeping in a tent and being sepereated from nature with a few microns of nylon ripstop fabric. The first cardinal rule of camping is that you always pack your tent last. When you arrive at your camp site in adverse weather, you first pitch your tent. Well we arrived and unpacked everything from the bakkie to get to my tent.  Pitching a tent in the dark and the rain was challenging especially when you are in a hurry to get the rest of the equipment out of the rain.
 
We hit the water on Saturday with a Blank session for me and a one Yellow for my mate Craig. The rest of the day was on off rain on off rain. We were about to do an afternoon session when another storm rolled in from the Free State. More hard rain and thunder. Now i am not too keen being in a river with a 9foot graphite rod and lightning!
 
We managed to have a braai that evening under an afdak. The resident weather guru predicted some sunny and warm conditions for Sunday. It reminded me of the old weather reports. Over Gordonia it would be sunny"". I still dont know where that is but it would NOT be raining and really hoped it would be so in Potch.
 
Andrew, Craig and I hit the water at 6am and headed for the channel past the water pump on the Free State side close to the island. We managed to land a few Yellows. The fishing was hard and we attributed it to the adverse weather also the water temperature was warm. Here follows the techinical report:
 
All fish were landed on bead head caddis fly in tan or olive with Humpy control fly with a touch of orange:
 
It was an awesome weekend. Being in nature just cleanses the soul. It makes you realise how minute you actually are in the bigger picture of nature. It is like good music.... "it washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. Anon.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on November 27, 2012, 12:51:09 PM
Nice report back Ettienne!  :+ cred:
 
Glad you guys got some fish. So have the missus' painting skills improved?  :hnthnt:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Ettienne on November 27, 2012, 01:08:19 PM
Apparently the practical sessions are reserved for non rainy days.... :blush: w;k
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: schloshd1 on November 27, 2012, 05:03:53 PM
Thanks for the report back Ettienne, it was a great weekend!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on November 30, 2012, 08:59:30 PM
Brilliant report Etienne.
 
Thank you for taking the time to post.  :+ cred:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: shagnrelease on December 01, 2012, 06:44:36 AM
Well Reported sir!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on December 03, 2012, 08:29:11 PM
I took myself off to Woelwaters on Saterday morning.
 
I got there early at 05:30 and lo and behold someone came down to take my money and let me in.
 
I drove down to the day visitor's area which is right on the water and the wind was PUMPING, with showers. Knowing that there was no chance of me even threading a fly line through the eyes, let alone tying a new leader and flies, ( as well as being a woossie  :blush: ) in that wind I sat in the car and listened to the cricket.
 
The wind died down enough at around 07:15 for me to rig up, so on the water I went. The only fisherman on the water for Woelwaters and Arends Nes above :shk , a whole 3km of river to myself. :happ:
 
Water temp was 19 deg and visibility around 20 - 30 cm's. Fishing ( for me ) was difficult. I waded across, up, down, back across changing flies all the time. I had 2 muddies caught when at about 10:00 I hears a commotion upstream.
 
Looked up and there were about 7 river rafters in inflatable canoes stuck on the rocks at Arends Nes. One by one the managed to free themselves and start the drift down. The front " Guide" parked his boat about 10m from me whilst waiting for the rest of the group to come  through. Once about 5 boats had gone past ( mostly sideways  duh ) he went downstream. The second last boat consisted of 3 youngsters( about 15 - 18 years old) who had managed to all fall off the boat as well as puncture the back pontoons.
 
I haven't laughed so hard since Christiana. There's 2 blokes swimming/drifting in knee deep water and 1 holding on to the boat, trying to get to his feet. He slips and lets go of the boat and away it goes. Instead of running after it he tries to swim after it in knee deep water with some big rocks in his way. :shk
 
Needless to say the current and boat won the race with the boat going through the rapids and coming to a standstill in the big pool below Woelwaters, with 3 okes drifting and swimming and after it.
 
The icing on the cake was the "tail" guide rowing past them drifting in the big pool, without picking them up, to get to their boat before it disappeared further downstream/
 
The CHERRY on top was me landing a small SM yellow followed by a 6kg+ barbel ( maxed out my 6kg Salter scale with ease ) after which I chickened out and left as the weather was starting to look nasty.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Dion Gates on December 03, 2012, 09:27:00 PM
Hi Herman
 
Sounds like there was no shortage of entertainment on the water. so i guess you should have hooked one ofthem and then see the bend in the rod of a 75kg youngster struggling in the rapids. that would have been a first im sure :hyst:
 
 
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: christosch on December 03, 2012, 09:33:58 PM
Well done Herman!!
Where will you be going this coming weekend - I'm thinking of wetting a line again after the blank at Eastco couple of weeks back.(Weather permitting)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on December 04, 2012, 08:19:36 PM
Hi Christo,
 
I have been invited to a venue x for next Sunday, for a buddies farewell fish. After that I will be away for the next 2 weekends, so the next time on the Vaal for me will be after christmass.
 
Will keep you in the loop once I'm back in action.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on December 06, 2012, 04:07:18 PM
fished woelwaters yesterday and had quite a challenging time. Was only able to land one yellow and had one monster on the hook that I was unable to land. There was plenty of muddies around but was unable to land any that I hooked. I have to say that there was plenty of yellows around but being a bad fisherman I was unable to hook any.

One bit of excitement was a carp that tailed right next to me, I took my landing net and scooped it. I then fed it to the barbel to fatten them up for the next time Herman wants to hook one.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on December 06, 2012, 07:59:08 PM
Pieter, thanks for the report.
 
Were you fishing indicator, or "on the dark side " ?
 
Why I ask is last Sunday there was a f/f fishing " Czech" style with 4 ( yes 4 ) flies, and he was nailing the smaller yellows fishing downstream. i.e. he would do the normal Czech dump and let the flies drift into the riffles then just hold them there for about a minute, then re- dump upstream.
 
The fly that was working for him was a yellow caddis in # 14. ( I'll show you Sunday as he gave me 1. )
 
Most interesting pf all is that his control fly was at the top, and all the other flies below. :dunno:
 
It worked for him though. :clwn
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on December 06, 2012, 10:36:25 PM
Caught the yellows on the dark side, with a 3 fly setup hot spot control at top, spider fly and then a gray hare nymph with an orange spot on point. The landed yellow on the "spider" and the huge lost yellow on the point. All the muddies I had was on the point.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on December 09, 2012, 08:45:17 PM
A couple of us fished a venue close to parys today.  And what a day.
I started of with a couple of muddies and then found the "dream run" I hooked into a monster yellow that took revenge on me by hooking me in the leg when I tried to land it. From the same run I proceeded to land 4 big yellows and a few smaller ones, a monster of a muddie and landed my first barble. So I broke 3 PBs in one hour. I lost many fish and did not count the muddies.

I will let the others reply with their catches and photos.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: schloshd1 on December 10, 2012, 06:33:29 AM
Thanks for the report back and for a great day out. Well done on your PBs, you really cleaned up yesterday (clap)

Here are a few pics

(http://i607.photobucket.com/albums/tt155/schlosd1/Vaal%209%20December%202012/DSCF6580.jpg)

(http://i607.photobucket.com/albums/tt155/schlosd1/Vaal%209%20December%202012/DSCF6583.jpg)

(http://i607.photobucket.com/albums/tt155/schlosd1/Vaal%209%20December%202012/DSCF6590.jpg)

(http://i607.photobucket.com/albums/tt155/schlosd1/Vaal%209%20December%202012/DSCF6747.jpg)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Monster on December 10, 2012, 07:51:26 AM
Nice! Baie geluk!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on December 10, 2012, 07:57:03 AM
Nice Pieter! Nice pics, looks like you guys had a jol!  :clfoto:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on December 10, 2012, 08:00:04 AM
Well done Pietertjie  :wtr: 
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Ettienne on December 10, 2012, 09:48:42 AM
Howsit? Sorry I could not make it but well done!  :win: Looks like brilliant water! :rck"
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on December 10, 2012, 08:12:00 PM
Thanks to all for a brilliant day at a brilliant venue.  :appr:
 
Pieter certainly cleaned up fishing wise. Well done that man. :happ:
 
I got the SMALLEST sm of the day, ( Andrew has the pic ) and  a small muddie.  :dunno:
 
The midday braai was good, with everyone chipping in food wise, so we ended up eating like " Kings ".
 
Water temp at 08:00 was 22 deg, and I guessed the flow at around 30 tons.
 
We were chased off the water around 14:30 with very ominous clouds and lightening.
 
Again thanks to all, especially OMR's buddy, who just happens to be a National Geigraphic and Discovery video amd photo specialist. His pics of the day are amazing !!!!!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on December 28, 2012, 10:06:46 PM
This morning the usual suspects descended upon a venue below the barrage. After the usual twak praat and brushing of teeth we waded into the water. Flows where between 50 and 60 and fishing was tough.  Herman lived up to his “king of the drift” title and did a 300m drift to retrieve a fly box then waded all the way back not to take a picture of a fish. I saw quite a few bending rods with as we all hooked the common African rock fish with some fish in between.

I had a lucky break as I was chased into a honey hole by a couple of barble that wanted to spawn with my leg. I landed 3 smallish yellows in quick succession, and then hooked a monster of a grass carp that battled me for 30+ minutes until my line parted on the braided loop as we tried to land the fish. After this frustration, I was still able to land 4 more yellows. From what I heard the rest of the chaps also landed at least a fish or two (I will leave it up to the chaps to give more details).

Afterwards we tanned a few chops and swapped manly fishing stories. As they say even a bad day fishing is better that a good day at work, and today was a great days fishing, spent with friends and good comrades.

Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on January 01, 2013, 11:49:37 AM
 
A group of us fished the Middle Vaal yesterday ( last fish of 2012 ).
The water temp was around 25 deg and flows around 30, which was half of what they were when we fished the same venue on Friday.
Everyone got fish, including Pieter's dad who was on the Vaal for his very first time.
I think Martin got 9, 7 sm and 2 yellows.
I missed a full house with 2 carp, 2 muddies, 1 sm and a moggel. Just couldn't find the barbel though.
Flies that worked were red bloodworm imitations, with my sm being the only one caught on my control fly.

Thanks again guys for another great morning on the river.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: doc on January 02, 2013, 04:02:17 PM
Fished the vaal with Herman, Pieter, Pieter's dad and Jaco. It was a great morning on the vaal with a lot of different species taking the bloodworm imitations.
I got my first carp on fly after a few small yellows and a baby muddie. The carp gave a very good account of itself in the rapids the first carp weighed 2kg. During the day quite a few carp was hooked by other anglers as well. I continued to catch a number of smaller yellows in the rapid closest to the bank. Then on the last drift I got nailed by a nice fish going straight past me and down stream straight into the backing. I got my running shoes on and was after the fish to prevent being spooled like a few days earlier. After a great fight I finally landed another nice carp of just over the 3kg mark.
Thanks to all the guys for a great end to 2012.
Here are pictures of the 2 carps as well as one of an average size yellow for the day.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on January 02, 2013, 04:56:41 PM
Great catches guys !!!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on January 02, 2013, 05:06:57 PM
Well done Guys  (clap)
 
If only I can get a break from work to join you . My last Vaal Fly trip was end of April 2012  :cnfzd :cry: + a 3 year old kid tantrum !!!!!!!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on January 02, 2013, 06:20:45 PM
It was one of the more "fun" days I have had on the river teaching my first newbie, after a while I realized that herman is better teacher than me. Funniest thing was me being worried about the old man falling in the river and then me landing squarely on my behind.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on January 02, 2013, 08:02:26 PM
It was one of the more "fun" days I have had on the river teaching my first newbie, after a while I realized that herman is better teacher than me. Funniest thing was me being worried about the old man falling in the river and then me landing squarely on my behind.

And then forgetting " NOT TO SWALLOW ANY WATER "  :shk :shk
 
Hence your latest bout of " Vaal Skuit ".
 
If you are not over it by the time you read this, get your ass to a hospital. :-(
 
Don't fool with the Vaal bugs, if you are ill, get help fast. sry
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on January 02, 2013, 08:16:52 PM
So everyone fished with in the last 7 days had excuses.  :unhap
 
Some were supposedly at work, some sick, and 1 notable other had the honesty to admit that he was still " TOAST " after New Years Eve  :hehe: :hehe:  . ( Which I sort of half expected, being a 40th and New Years bash. )
 
So I fished my first session of 2013 this morning at Woelwaters. On the water by 7:00 and off at 10:00, the wind was pumping by then.
 
Fished mostly Czech Style, don't enjoy it, nut it seemed to work.
 
In the 3 hours I got 5 SM and 1 muddie, nothing of size though, with the biggest fish a SM of around 2 kg.
 
The fly that worked was an olive caddis pupae # 14, with a green bead.
 
Funny enough, absolutely nothing on nymph'sm all on the caddis.  :dunno:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on January 02, 2013, 11:17:12 PM
Doc said I will live, just plenty of some vile fluids and it seems that I might be fine for the weekend(Fingers crossed) :pray:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on January 06, 2013, 05:06:08 PM
About 7 of the normal miscreants fished below the barrage today.
 
Flows were a bit low at around 30 - 35 tons, and vis was surprisingly good at 35 - 40 cms.
 
As per usual I was the first there and second to last on the water.  :blush:
Must have something to do with the "brushing of the teeth" ritual as well as Pieter's SD for being late. w;k
 
As I got into the water Bryan was releasing a SM and lo and behold the "Cormorant" of the day , Martin, was into a fish.
 
I fished hither and thither, with everyone klapping fish, except me :unhap
So I decided to muscle in on Pieter and Rory's nursery.  :hnthnt:
 
Finally landed a small SM and promptley lost another 2. :blush:
 
Everyone got a fish though. I had the honour of landing Martin's 3.6 kg carp after he walked around 200m downsttream after it, with my flies wrapped around his line,  :unhap :blush: .
 
I will leave it up the various participants to post their pics, even thoough I was photographer and netter for the day. :cry:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on January 06, 2013, 06:23:29 PM
Was an awesome day on the water. Me and Bryan stayed for for an afternoon session, and slowly moved to the third run. We did a short stop in the nursery and something tried to rip the rod from my hand just after Bryan's leader line was snapped by a fish.

The third run was very productive with many big fish hooked and may lost, Bryan was almost into fish on every cast.
I lost a large yellow at the net and landed 2 muddies and quite a few that I never saw.


Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: doc on January 07, 2013, 07:46:04 AM
Was a very nice day on the vaal.  Thanks to Herman who help land my carp that took me for a walk. Sorry to all the other guys for coming rampaging through the run you were fishing.
Pieter it is good to hear that there were a few decent small mouths in the 3rd run.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on January 07, 2013, 08:10:52 AM
Well done Doc ! (clap) You are becoming U.A. most accomplished all round angler , from papgooi , fly to Rock and Surf . Lekker ou maat  :rck" :rck"
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on January 07, 2013, 08:22:47 AM
It was a good mornings fishing. It seemed like the heavier fish were in the faster deeper runs yesterday. Had a blast hammering the creche/nursery in the slower glides, the juvie yellows were as thick as a shad run! All in the 20 -30cm class they were hitting the fly like it was their last meal on earth. Flies that produced for me were Humpy's Favourite, mustard caddis and small black mayflies.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on January 07, 2013, 09:15:58 AM
It was a good mornings fishing. It seemed like the heavier fish were in the faster deeper runs yesterday. Had a blast hammering the creche/nursery in the slower glides, the juvie yellows were as thick as a shad run! All in the 20 -30cm class they were hitting the fly like it was their last meal on earth. Flies that produced for me were Humpy's Favourite, mustard caddis and small black mayflies.

Rory in that run you fished, they took any fly you could throw at them  :crzy
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: FCLoretz on January 07, 2013, 10:46:41 AM
Fished with Herman and the Gang at Erina Yesterday, Managed 4 muddies and 1 sm yellow. was a lekkrt trip. Took a nice swim and I luckily kept my mouth closed, didn't swallow any water. :hehe:


Had loads of tangles due to my poor nymphing abilities. BUt all in all it was a good day
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on January 07, 2013, 03:32:29 PM
I felt so bad about laughing at your tangles as I had some bad ones, once you left
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: FCLoretz on January 07, 2013, 03:34:29 PM
I felt so bad about laughing at your tangles as I had some bad ones, once you left


Pieter,


You really didn't have to get into a tangle to make me feel better. I had a good time on the water. That is all that matters
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: FCLoretz on January 13, 2013, 04:10:02 PM
Fished Eagles nest on Saturday with Gary and Gys. Visibility was great at about 50cm.


got onto the water at about 10:30. I managed 5 fish, 4 x yellows of which the biggest was about 800gr and then 1 x muddie of about 1.6kgs


I left the water at about 12:45 and by that time Gary had landed 35 yellows. Gys was good on tract as well. Also well into the 20's with his count.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on January 20, 2013, 02:56:23 PM
After all the usual reprobates had pulled out for various " woosie " reasons I fished the Italians on my lonesome today.
 
On arrivel air temp was 17 and water temp 19.
 
On my 5th cast I got a SM of around 2 kg's, then it went dead.
 
 2 hours later whilst sitting on a rock and trailing changed flies in the water I got a small yellow, which hit the black Vaal nymph like a largie  :shk
 
I then went for 2 short drifets, 1 after the other and then got fecking cold, so left, dried out a bit, changed clothes and went to the Croc Ranch for brunch.
 
2 eggs, bacon, boerie, 2 slices of toast, and jam , with 2 BIG cups of coffee for a total of R 55.00.
 
What a great end to a great end to a great morning. w;k
 
To all those who didn't join  :crzy :crzy 
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on January 21, 2013, 07:51:52 AM
Nice going Herman!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: HaroldF on March 01, 2013, 03:37:49 PM
Howzit everyone! ...long time no see!
Anyone planning on going to the Vaal next weekend, or the weekend after that? 9 or 16 March.... I'm keen on going, but as usual, I'm not to keen on going alone ...

Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Williaby on March 04, 2013, 12:39:52 PM
A group of us including Herman, Pieter, Schlossie, Ian, Steve and I fished the Vaal a fair bit above Parys yesterday and the fishing was off the hook.
I landed 32 for the day leaving the water at around 15:00 and I know Pieter and Herman landed 30 and 26 (I think) respectively for the morning seesion. All of mine were Yellows except for two which were fat Carp of over 3kg and 4kg.
 
The three of us pulled out in excess of 50 fish from a single run standing within 15m of each other. Also mostly smaller fish with the occasional bigger one (one or two unstoppable buses) and almost exclusivley Yellows. Of the total above only a handful were Carp or Muddies.
 
Schlossie, Ian and Steve arrived mid morning and they were each on good double figures (if remember correctly) when I left. Ian even caught a couple of Bass buggering around on a spinning rod while we were having lunch.
 
Best day out on the Vaal for a long time. The water quality seems to be improving and visibility was pretty decent. The green tinge that the river has had over the last few weeks seems to be dissappearing.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: HaroldF on March 05, 2013, 08:18:16 AM
There you have it! ...even a BETTER reason to be at the Vaal coming weekend or the weekend after!  :clwn
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: HaroldF on March 05, 2013, 09:47:58 AM
Ok .... where shall I go? .... Woelwaters, Arendsnes, Silverstrome, Eastco .... any better suggestions?
hmmm ...Oord Nebo looks promising .... scratch that ...too far ..  :-(

Ok ...change of plan .... lemme post the question I've posted elsewhere as well:

I need some info please ... I want to take my son for his first yellow   session this coming Saturday or the next ... some place between Silwer   strome and Eastco ...
  The problem is that he's only 9 ... so I can't take him to a place with   deep running pools ... what's the best place to take him where the   wading will be easy enough for a 9 year old?              
 
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on March 05, 2013, 04:20:21 PM
The first run at eastco is not that bad, eendekuil depending on the flows. Arendsnes and woel waters and the first run at silverstrome if the grass has not taken over.

Do not take him to geelvis or strydoms for his first time. Hope you have lots of fun! 
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on March 05, 2013, 08:00:39 PM
Ok .... where shall I go? .... Woelwaters, Arendsnes, Silverstrome, Eastco .... any better suggestions?
hmmm ...Oord Nebo looks promising .... scratch that ...too far ..  :-(

Ok ...change of plan .... lemme post the question I've posted elsewhere as well:

I need some info please ... I want to take my son for his first yellow   session this coming Saturday or the next ... some place between Silwer   strome and Eastco ...
  The problem is that he's only 9 ... so I can't take him to a place with   deep running pools ... what's the best place to take him where the   wading will be easy enough for a 9 year old?

Woelwaters, just downstream of Arends Nes. A buudy of mine got his 7 year old son into his first Vaal fish there. The wading is easy, just make sure he is wearing a life jacket and is tethered to you , just in case he gets too adventurous.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on March 06, 2013, 08:15:22 AM
A group of us including Herman, Pieter, Schlossie, Ian, Steve and I fished the Vaal a fair bit above Parys yesterday and the fishing was off the hook.
I landed 32 for the day leaving the water at around 15:00 and I know Pieter and Herman landed 30 and 26 (I think) respectively for the morning seesion. All of mine were Yellows except for two which were fat Carp of over 3kg and 4kg.
 
The three of us pulled out in excess of 50 fish from a single run standing within 15m of each other. Also mostly smaller fish with the occasional bigger one (one or two unstoppable buses) and almost exclusivley Yellows. Of the total above only a handful were Carp or Muddies.
 
Schlossie, Ian and Steve arrived mid morning and they were each on good double figures (if remember correctly) when I left. Ian even caught a couple of Bass buggering around on a spinning rod while we were having lunch.
 
Best day out on the Vaal for a long time. The water quality seems to be improving and visibility was pretty decent. The green tinge that the river has had over the last few weeks seems to be dissappearing.

Nice going gents! Any particular flies producing or just the usual suspects?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on March 06, 2013, 05:04:38 PM
Best fly of the day was a red hot spot or an Orange hot spot, but a Black nymph also produced. 
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Keemo on May 08, 2013, 08:56:30 AM
Howzit guys,
Been a while since i posted anything but to be honest now that I live in KZN visiting the vaal is becoming more of a luxury! :vio
Anyway I thought I'd do a quick report back on my day on the vaal. A mate and I fished the last Sunday of April @ Elgro.
The plan was to target some Largies but that would prove to be very difficult due to the discolored water.
I was dead set to get hooked into something big so I strapped on a big black fly and fished it as hard as possible.
My persistence paid off as I landed 3 very nice smallies one of which was an absolute bus and my personal best.
I lost 3 fish as well, another smallie that came up and I pulled the hook, a big barbel that pulled the hook at my feet and one that I believe was a largie, it took the fly on the drop and I was a bit slow on the hook set the line zipped at an incredible speed through the water and the fish was off!
My mate got 4 smallies for the day, all on dry's and all between a Kilo - 2Kilo range.

Here is a 5minute video on the days fishing, the big boy is at the end.
Big Smallmouth Yellows on the Vaal River (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7f4KfBWQAc#ws)

Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Poenskop on May 08, 2013, 10:10:52 AM
 :cgrts: That is a bus. I can't wait for my October Christiana trip.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on July 21, 2013, 03:52:27 PM
Poenskop, why wait for October ?
 
Pieter and I spent a very cold, but beautiful  morning on the Vaal today.
On arrival @ 7:00 air temp was - 3 deg and water temp the same 10 deg it has been for the last month..
 
After a few "straf dops" to warm the cockles we hit the water just before 8. Rowed up, and parked the boat on the first reef.  No surface activity whatsoever, so I tried the big dry , to lure them up, no takers.
 
I then changed to the 2 flies recently shown on the fly tying section and fished down and across. Pieter and I were sitting on our rocks talking cr@p, when all of a sudden after a lazy cast, the fish took the fly on the drop. I couldn't believe it  :shk  Vas I was, and about 7 minutes later had my first SM of the winter safely in Pieter's net. She weighed in at 3.6 kg. :happ:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Poenskop on July 22, 2013, 07:21:02 AM
Poenskop, why wait for October ?
 

Very nice fish Herman.I moved to Port Elizabeth. I can't do day trips anymore. :hehe:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on July 22, 2013, 07:41:06 AM
Thats a Bus , well done Herman  (clap)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on July 22, 2013, 07:47:36 AM
Awesome fish Herman  (clap)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Ettienne on July 22, 2013, 08:29:31 AM
Mooi man! (clap)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Grant L on July 22, 2013, 03:11:23 PM
Good job Herman :happ:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on July 22, 2013, 04:20:25 PM
:cgrts: That is a bus. I can't wait for my October Christiana trip.

What weekend is Christiana the year ???
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on July 22, 2013, 04:23:24 PM
:cgrts: That is a bus. I can't wait for my October Christiana trip.

What weekend is Christiana this year ???
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on July 22, 2013, 09:21:51 PM
:cgrts: That is a bus. I can't wait for my October Christiana trip.

What weekend is Christiana this year ???

Christana booking opened today. All the chalets are fully booked , there is still camping space as well as the Hotel it's self,
 
If you want the registration forms phone me/ There is a limit of 50 anglers. If you want to join it's either camping or the Hotel.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: schloshd1 on July 23, 2013, 06:20:22 AM
Excellent fish Herman, well done!
It looks in great condition, in fact it's belly is almost as well conditioned as yours w;k
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Poenskop on July 23, 2013, 07:28:13 AM
:cgrts: That is a bus. I can't wait for my October Christiana trip.

What weekend is Christiana this year ???

I think it is 16 - 20 October.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on July 26, 2013, 02:31:49 PM
Excellent fish Herman, well done!
It looks in great condition, in fact it's belly is almost as well conditioned as yours w;k

Thanks for the congrats everyone. Andrew that fish was in prime condition. She was very fat, so fat that Pieter also compared it to my boep.  :crzy :frid
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on July 26, 2013, 02:35:59 PM
:cgrts: That is a bus. I can't wait for my October Christiana trip.

What weekend is Christiana this year ???

I think it is 16 - 20 October.

Poenskop, have you booked ? If so are you in the hotel, chalets or camping ?
You will have to have :frid with us rabble.  w;k
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Poenskop on July 28, 2013, 09:05:16 AM
:cgrts: That is a bus. I can't wait for my October Christiana trip.

What weekend is Christiana this year ???

I think it is 16 - 20 October.

Poenskop, have you booked ? If so are you in the hotel, chalets or camping ?
You will have to have :frid with us rabble.  w;k

I will have to miss it this year.  :cry: I've just bought a house so I will be moving house over October.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on July 28, 2013, 06:21:49 PM
Wow fantastic catch Herman!!! :udman:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on July 29, 2013, 04:57:25 PM
Thanks Gavin. That fish made the whole winter effort worthwhile.  :hehe:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on July 29, 2013, 05:04:01 PM
Bring on Summer !!!!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on July 29, 2013, 05:39:32 PM
Bring on Summer !!!!

 :rck" :rck" :rck"
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on July 29, 2013, 05:44:11 PM
Do you chaps remember that old cricket advert: "come on summer". Just cant get it out of my head now
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on July 30, 2013, 06:17:32 PM
Bring on Summer !!!!

 :rck" :rck" :rck"

Guys, don't wait for Sept/Oct, you will miss out on amazing fishing.
Rather watch the water temp @ the Barrage. Once it gets to 16 then it's  :fshn: .
Once it goes over 18 the Rock snot will be everywhere  :unhap  until they flush the river with the Vaal Canoe Marathon.
 
Anyone have an idea of the dates for this years marathon ?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on July 30, 2013, 06:37:52 PM
September
Sat 14 - Sat 14   09h00   2013926   ERK VAAL 14 SEP 2013                   Gauteng   25   B   VAAL DAM WALL

November
Sat 2 - Sun 3   09h00   2013082   SA K2 VAAL MARATHON 2013   Gauteng   112   A   VAAL DAM WALL
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Circus on July 31, 2013, 08:57:24 AM
Looking back at some temperature history, it seems that the water normally reaches 14 degrees (at the barrage, so more like 15 deg in Parys area) in the first week of September. By the end of September, it should be 16 deg at the barrage and 17-18 near Parys.
From my catch records, it is worth making the effort to drive to the vaal from about the second week of September (>3 fish/day), with the high-quality days (>15 fish) only really from the final week of September.
I will of course (again) ignore all of this and be on the water from about the middle of August and keep everyone updated.
 
 
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on July 31, 2013, 08:59:03 AM
Looking back at some temperature history, it seems that the water normally reaches 14 degrees (at the barrage, so more like 15 deg in Parys area) in the first week of September. By the end of September, it should be 16 deg at the barrage and 17-18 near Parys.
From my catch records, it is worth making the effort to drive to the vaal from about the second week of September (>3 fish/day), with the high-quality days (>15 fish) only really from the final week of September.
I will of course (again) ignore all of this and be on the water from about the middle of August and keep everyone updated.

Good info  :tkx:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: UrbanFF on July 31, 2013, 03:24:17 PM
Poenskop, why wait for October ?
 
Pieter and I spent a very cold, but beautiful  morning on the Vaal today.
On arrival @ 7:00 air temp was - 3 deg and water temp the same 10 deg it has been for the last month..
 
After a few "straf dops" to warm the cockles we hit the water just before 8. Rowed up, and parked the boat on the first reef.  No surface activity whatsoever, so I tried the big dry , to lure them up, no takers.
 
I then changed to the 2 flies recently shown on the fly tying section and fished down and across. Pieter and I were sitting on our rocks talking cr@p, when all of a sudden after a lazy cast, the fish took the fly on the drop. I couldn't believe it  :shk  Vas I was, and about 7 minutes later had my first SM of the winter safely in Pieter's net. She weighed in at 3.6 kg. :happ:


Very nice fish Herman - I am going to do a trip on the 17th August to Elgo to learn more about catching Largies from Tim Babich , am also looking forward to targeting Carp on fly as soon as things warm up a bit , either Elgro or Stroeme :) see you on the water soon.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on August 11, 2013, 05:11:39 PM
Pieter and I fished the same venue again today. Water temp at 07:00 was 11.5 deg, which is an improvement on 2 weeks ago, as was the air temp which was 8 deg. Visibility was again around 40 - 45 cm. There is a lot of detrious in the shallows, which when disturbed releases an awful stench.
 Again very little surface activity so I tried the same tactics as 2 weeks ago. Missed a double knock and that was it.
 Leaving the water at 11:00 the water temp had risen to 13.5.
 Summer is definitely on it's way.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on August 25, 2013, 04:36:41 PM
Fished woelwaters today. Morning session was a big blank with some notable "dives". This was done to test the water temp. After the morning crowd left I decided to try my luck again, and was rewarded with 2 nice muddies and a third that was lost when I fell over a rock that was not there earlier.


Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: isivuba on August 25, 2013, 04:52:41 PM
nice fish bud atleast you out fishing would love to fall over a rock at the water edge with a fish on the other end of my rod.......I'm sure the rock was always there maybe the  :frid was just a little to much  w;k   :hehe:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on August 25, 2013, 04:59:32 PM
The problem was that this rock was 10m in and 1m deep. It was the second fall today but at least it was warmer in the afternoon!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on August 26, 2013, 07:52:23 AM
Nice fish Pieter! Did you guys measure the water temp?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on August 26, 2013, 07:58:20 AM
We started of at 13~ish and my first fall was quite cold, by my last fall I would say it was "not to bad"
In the afternoon visibility was at 65cm which was the best I have ever seen on the vaal. The fish took a no18 black nymph.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on August 26, 2013, 08:35:27 AM
Cold and good visibility  :rck"
 
How bad is the rock snot?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on August 26, 2013, 08:44:44 AM
Cold and good visibility  :rck"
 
How bad is the rock snot?

Bad but I have seen it worse, but if the flows stays the same it will get really bad
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on August 26, 2013, 08:48:32 AM
Bad but I have seen it worse, but if the flows stays the same it will get really bad

 swr <:  I hate that stuff, it could just well drive me to drink...
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on August 26, 2013, 08:54:09 AM
Then this one if for you:
http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=15053.0 (http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=15053.0)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Ziggy on August 26, 2013, 10:15:44 AM
Fished woelwaters today. Morning session was a big blank with some notable "dives". This was done to test the water temp. After the morning crowd left I decided to try my luck again, and was rewarded with 2 nice muddies and a third that was lost when I fell over a rock that was not there earlier.


Nice fish! that rock could of been the one that nailed me on the Umkomaas while fishing for yellows, or the one that caught me unawares on the Bell in Rhodes - I am told that there are some rocks who can teleport to anywhere!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on August 26, 2013, 10:34:06 AM
Nice fish! that rock could of been the one that nailed me on the Umkomaas while fishing for yellows, or the one that caught me unawares on the Bell in Rhodes - I am told that there are some rocks who can teleport to anywhere!

I have also found that they move around, what makes me fall the most is when it was there and moved to go trip another angler
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: UrbanFF on August 27, 2013, 10:03:30 AM
Herman jumped the gun on the season start  w;k but here is a little promo we have put together with some footage from last season - please let me know what you think.


http://youtu.be/e_kyhNNZ-6c (http://youtu.be/e_kyhNNZ-6c)

Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on August 27, 2013, 10:50:48 AM
Herman jumped the gun on the season start  w;k but here is a little promo we have put together with some footage from last season - please let me know what you think.


http://youtu.be/e_kyhNNZ-6c (http://youtu.be/e_kyhNNZ-6c)

Dig the clip - very lekker. Thats given me yellow fever!
 
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: UrbanFF on August 27, 2013, 12:44:54 PM
Herman jumped the gun on the season start  w;k but here is a little promo we have put together with some footage from last season - please let me know what you think.


http://youtu.be/e_kyhNNZ-6c (http://youtu.be/e_kyhNNZ-6c)

Dig the clip - very lekker. Thats given me yellow fever!
:hehe:  it worked  :rck"
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Ziggy on August 27, 2013, 07:27:56 PM
very cool!


I like the idea of the magnet clip on the net - not on the handle - nice idea to stop the net from catching on branches and stuff
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: UrbanFF on September 10, 2013, 09:51:07 AM

Brief report back on a day out at Eendekuil.


A small group of decided to have a go at some early spring Yellowfish and decided to try Eendekuil as there is a nice variety of water to try.


First things first , there have been a few changes at the venue, prices have gone up to R 90.00 per day and Tim and Charmaine are almost finished building what look like some very nice flats on the property, not your usual rough and ready fishing huts but rather places that your significant other would feel comfortable sleeping in :) I will update you as soon as I have pricing from the Colliers.


The fishing was typically tough with few fish caught but what did come out was mainly big fish 2.6 kgs - 4.3 kgs, the most successful tactic was to cast across stream and let your flies drift and swing, the Yellows were taking the rising flies on the swing. Most productive flies were small 20-22 black nymphs with some action on white GRHEs in the late afternoon when there was a massive Caddis hatch.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on September 10, 2013, 10:42:38 AM
Nothing wrong with that Yellow in the 2nd pic !!
 
What was the water temp , did you wet wade and how is the Rock snot at the mow ????
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Gregf on September 10, 2013, 10:45:47 AM
Wow, nice fish well done :corrct:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on September 11, 2013, 12:29:41 PM
Hi guys. I will be fishing Erina this Sunday.  :fshn:
 Anyone else interested ?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on September 11, 2013, 12:30:47 PM
hmmmmmm.......

Do we need waders or will the water be warm enough Herman ?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on September 11, 2013, 12:42:05 PM
Homie, I wet waded last Sunday ( water was 14 deg ). With the weather looking great for the rest of the week, I reckon that the water temp should be around 16 deg. Perfect for both fishing and wet wading. w;k
 
Sunday's air temps are forcast at 33 deg max. Summer is here  :yipee: :yipee:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on September 11, 2013, 12:46:47 PM
 swr Can't make this Sunday  :cry:
 
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on September 11, 2013, 12:51:51 PM
swr Can't make this Sunday  :cry:

You still in Winter mode Rory  :dunno:
Methinks there's a strafdop inthere somewhere. (bat :hnthnt: :hnthnt:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: UrbanFF on September 11, 2013, 01:02:55 PM
Nothing wrong with that Yellow in the 2nd pic !!
 
What was the water temp , did you wet wade and how is the Rock snot at the mow ????


Water temp was +- 13 still, some guys did wet wade , I didn't as I dob't like the shade of blue I turn.
Rock snot is there but not too bad yet.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on September 11, 2013, 01:06:53 PM

You still in Winter mode Rory  :dunno:
Methinks there's a strafdop inthere somewhere. (bat :hnthnt: :hnthnt:

Nah I'm quite keen actually. You see I ordered an consignment of British ales and bitters, which I have to collect Sunday morning. This goes without saying I'll be partaking of said beverages with unbridled gusto  :craz:  hence my unavailability.  :frid
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on September 11, 2013, 01:34:05 PM

You still in Winter mode Rory  :dunno:
Methinks there's a strafdop inthere somewhere. (bat :hnthnt: :hnthnt:

Nah I'm quite keen actually. You see I ordered an consignment of British ales and bitters, which I have to collect Sunday morning. This goes without saying I'll be partaking of said beverages with unbridled gusto  :craz:  hence my unavailability.  :frid

Aahh, I knew there had to be a liquified reason.  :hehe:  Enjoy.  :frid :frid
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on September 11, 2013, 01:55:34 PM
Hi Rich you some some monster yellows there  :resp:   we are going next week end if anyone  is keen. What patterns are working at the mo?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on September 11, 2013, 02:34:27 PM
hmmmmmm.......

Do we need waders or will the water be warm enough Herman ?

Holmes I have an extra pair you may use
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on September 11, 2013, 02:39:21 PM
hmmmmmm.......

Do we need waders or will the water be warm enough Herman ?

Holmes I have an extra pair you may use

Warning Homes might have  :crb , sure you want him to wear your Waders ?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on September 11, 2013, 02:41:08 PM
It is old and slightly leaky - It might even kill the critters.

Afterthought - He can even take them home if he wants
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on September 11, 2013, 02:42:48 PM
It is old and slightly leaky - It might even kill the critters.

Afterthought - He can even take them home if he wants

 
Good call !!!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on September 13, 2013, 09:10:04 AM
Now on a serious note, Mr Homie do you want it? It will keep warmer than not using it and it has a pouch that can hold some beer.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on September 13, 2013, 12:10:22 PM
Now on a serious note, Mr Homie do you want it? It will keep warmer than not using it and it has a pouch that can hold some beer.

Sure Pieter !
Thanks ! Beers on me !!!!

What do i need to do to make it workable ?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on September 13, 2013, 12:23:44 PM
Just to undo the  :cens patch job I did and patch it again.
The water is not that cold anymore - and although it leaks it will keep you warm.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on September 13, 2013, 12:26:47 PM
Now on a serious note, Mr Homie do you want it? It will keep warmer than not using it and it has a pouch that can hold some beer.

Sure Pieter !
Thanks ! Beers on me !!!!

What do i need to do to make it workable ?

Hey Homes, does this mean that you will be joining us on Sunday ?
 
Looking forward to this one. The predicted temp for Sunday is 34 deg. Wet wading probably a must at thos air temps. :hehe:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on September 13, 2013, 12:34:56 PM
Water temp this morning was 15.1 so it wont be needed.
But then again Herman he is as thin and slender as me, might just need it!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on September 13, 2013, 08:55:10 PM
So who else is fishing on Sunday ?
 
So far I have Me and ICstuff confirmed, with Doc and Bryan maybe's. ( No one else wants to answer their phone  :crzy  ).
 
I WILL have the gates opened at 06:00,
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on September 13, 2013, 09:30:01 PM
Sorry guys. Wont make this.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Monster on September 14, 2013, 03:13:23 PM
Hi Herman guilty as charged on the phone. I had a crap week and was sleeping. I picked up a colon infection on Wednesday and someone stole my computer out of my car yesterday. So I wish I could make it but my car is out of service till Monday,when the window can be replaced.
Please do a report I need to go fish. The yellow boiling n my blood.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on September 15, 2013, 01:31:29 PM
Just for those that are interested, water temp was 15deg, and although we saw activity nothing was caught(by us).
The bank anglers gave us a nice distraction and caught some nice carp with one weighing in at 9kg.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on September 15, 2013, 02:39:08 PM
Thanks to Pieter and Marthin for joining me at a very windy, unpleasant and fishless day at Erina. Visibilty was around 45 cm, and there was a very unpleasant smell to the water.
Oh ya the rock snot is very evident in the shallower water. There was non however in the faster waist deep water, which may or may not have held fish, as I didn't catch any in this water, or any other water for that matter.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: diamonddogs on September 16, 2013, 09:16:50 AM
The water was damn cold and the wind pumping.
I think I will wait until after the first good rains before going back to the Vaal.

That said, regardless the conditions, the fishing wasn't to bad.
Between two of us we managed about 15 fish in about 1.5 m water.



(http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3814/9769750215_e1032e2076.jpg)

(http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3798/9769750735_d350d48727.jpg)

(http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2832/9769766096_51c657c7b5.jpg)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on September 16, 2013, 09:18:53 AM
Awesome fish Mario!!  :envy :envy :envy
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on September 16, 2013, 09:19:37 AM
The water was damn cold and the wind pumping.
I think I will wait until after the first good rains before going back to the Vaal.

That said, regardless the conditions, the fishing wasn't to bad.
Between two of us we managed about 15 fish in about 1.5 m water.



(http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3814/9769750215_e1032e2076.jpg)

(http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3798/9769750735_d350d48727.jpg)

(http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2832/9769766096_51c657c7b5.jpg)

Not bad at all , well done old Chap .  (clap)
 
 
 
 
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on September 16, 2013, 09:31:55 AM
Did you catch them on that rooibos fly?  :hnthnt:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: diamonddogs on September 16, 2013, 09:33:45 AM
mielies
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on September 16, 2013, 09:44:16 AM
Is this the one? will you do a sbs for us please :crzy
(http://www.total-fishing.com/files/totalfishing/Assets/Images/Total%20Coarse%20Fishing/Bait%20Guide/Corn%20and%20maize/cornpic1.jpg)

Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on September 16, 2013, 09:59:37 AM
Is this the one? will you do a sbs for us please :crzy
(http://www.total-fishing.com/files/totalfishing/Assets/Images/Total%20Coarse%20Fishing/Bait%20Guide/Corn%20and%20maize/cornpic1.jpg)

3.5 x  :wtr:
 
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: shagnrelease on September 16, 2013, 10:05:19 AM
Well done DD!!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on September 16, 2013, 10:08:25 AM
Great news well done. We are hedding to Geelvis paradise on friday for a bit of a camp and some cold  :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: . Hoping to get into some nice fish.
 
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on September 16, 2013, 10:13:03 AM
Some great fish there DD !
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Ziggy on September 16, 2013, 03:11:31 PM
Is this the one? will you do a sbs for us please :crzy
(http://www.total-fishing.com/files/totalfishing/Assets/Images/Total%20Coarse%20Fishing/Bait%20Guide/Corn%20and%20maize/cornpic1.jpg)


CLEAN fingernails please! This is a family site you know.....
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on September 16, 2013, 05:03:58 PM
Fly Castaway are having an Advance Smallmouth Yellowfish Workshop on Sat 21 September at Arendsnes . Could be interesting . Cost a bit WOES , but might be worth the while.
 
They will be covering :
    

[attachment deleted by admin]
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on September 17, 2013, 11:20:25 AM
Does this not look like a newbie on the vaal?
first day out and scared of getting in the water
(http://hugelolcdn.com/i/187028.gif)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Monster on September 18, 2013, 09:40:04 AM
Ok boys and girls
I need to het to the vaal! who is joining me and two newby's on the Sunday the 29th?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on September 18, 2013, 09:41:50 AM
Ok boys and girls
I need to het to the vaal! who is joining me and two newby's on the Sunday the 29th?

Sounds good , will confirm closer to the time .
 
Will be on the Vaal this weekend if you wanna join .
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on September 18, 2013, 10:05:05 AM
Ok boys and girls
I need to het to the vaal! who is joining me and two newby's on the Sunday the 29th?

I will join you, do you have a venue in mind?
I have an extra wading broom if one of the newbies to use?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Monster on September 18, 2013, 10:07:01 AM
Cool gents
I have no idea of venues that are producing any suggestions?
 
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on September 18, 2013, 10:20:26 AM
Lest see what this weekend delivers  :hnthnt:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Monster on September 18, 2013, 10:22:29 AM
Dankie Pieter
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on September 18, 2013, 12:09:26 PM
Geelvis paradise? :frid
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on September 18, 2013, 12:46:56 PM
Geelvis paradise? :frid

Hi Gavin, I'll probably pull in on Sunday morning, early.
Are you camping or in the chalets ?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Monster on September 18, 2013, 02:34:12 PM
What is happening behind bars?
 
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on September 18, 2013, 02:37:14 PM
What is happening behind bars?

Total lockdown from the FS side and it is not going to open again...
We can attempt the GP Side?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on September 18, 2013, 03:20:09 PM
Great Herman will see you there!!! :fshn: 
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on September 19, 2013, 08:54:19 AM
What is happening behind bars?

Total lockdown from the FS side and it is not going to open again...
We can attempt the GP Side?

Pietertjie how do you get there from GP side ?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on September 19, 2013, 11:49:51 AM
Craig you go towards the Grasmeer plaza direction. You carry on going along that road till you see that car on top of long structure, cant miss it. Take that turn off and go right over the highway. Carry on along this road till you see GP.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on September 19, 2013, 11:54:13 AM
Craig you go towards the Grasmeer plaza direction. You carry on going along that road till you see that car on top of long structure, cant miss it. Take that turn off and go right over the highway. Carry on along this road till you see GP.

Thanks Gave . Know where Geelvis is , as you said cant miss it . Iceeeee is refering to access to location X from the Gauteng side .
 
Remind me to punish you with 4 x Jaggies the next time I see you  :rotfl :hyst: :frid w;k
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on September 19, 2013, 11:56:44 AM
Gavin we where talking of another venue and I have given him the directions, but you must remember that when we give craig direction, you have to type slow and clearly. He has had one too many of these :wtr:   
You see I am not even afraid of him reading this as it is in another font...

 :crzy
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on September 19, 2013, 12:00:39 PM
P :wtr: etertj :wtr: e
 
 
Kindly refrain from Hi-Jacking this tread .
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on September 19, 2013, 12:21:58 PM
Hahahaha sorry guys missed that completely  duh
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on September 19, 2013, 07:11:57 PM
Gavin we where talking of another venue and I have given him the directions, but you must remember that when we give craig direction, you have to type slow and clearly. He has had one too many of these :wtr:   
You see I am not even afraid of him reading this as it is in another font...
Craig, beware, Pieter gets lost going from Meyerton to the socials :dunno:
I hope he has given you the right directions, seeing as he has never been there from the dark side.  :shk
 
Craig, another thought, that water will be around 13 deg. Wait another 3 weeks.
 
 


 :crzy
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on September 23, 2013, 07:59:27 AM
Braved the elements  :wndy on Sat and fished Arendsnes . Wind was pumping and the mercury was way way down , the morning session was as quiet as a Blue Bull/ Man U supporter . However the late afternoon deliver a fair amount of fish and all the guys in our group got some fish . Some up to 4/5 fish in a short time .
 
Water temp still ( Lion cold ) and the rock snot was not to bad …
 
Cold day out but at least my Yellow account is opened for the season .  :yipee:
 
 
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on September 23, 2013, 08:01:49 AM
Nice Kallie! Did you take any pics?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on September 23, 2013, 08:05:15 AM
Nice Kallie! Did you take any pics?

Oh yes , will post some this evening  w;k
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on September 23, 2013, 08:58:02 AM
Now I enjoy a bit of body art , but this Bloke takes it to a new level .......
 
Mayfly Life cycle Tattoo  :hyst: :hyst: :hyst:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on September 23, 2013, 10:12:34 AM
Dismal weekend for me but at least I got a nice barbel on spoon.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on September 23, 2013, 10:17:45 AM
Nice Cat Gav  (clap)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on September 23, 2013, 10:23:31 AM
Thanks Craig!!!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: John F on September 23, 2013, 10:39:18 AM
Nice cat gavin.... catch of the month?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on September 23, 2013, 10:54:55 AM
Thanks John F :tkx:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on September 24, 2013, 10:50:53 AM
Braved the elements  :wndy on Sat and fished Arendsnes . Wind was pumping and the mercury was way way down , the morning session was as quiet as a Blue Bull/ Man U supporter . However the late afternoon deliver a fair amount of fish and all the guys in our group got some fish . Some up to 4/5 fish in a short time .
 
Water temp still ( Lion cold ) and the rock snot was not to bad …
 
Cold day out but at least my Yellow account is opened for the season .  :yipee:

First pics of the season
 
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on September 25, 2013, 12:35:43 PM
Nice fish Kallie!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Monster on September 25, 2013, 02:51:45 PM
So who is in for Sunday? I am bringing a old friend of minewhom in his wisdon decided to invite a mate of his who in turn invited his dad.
Eish!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on September 25, 2013, 08:08:31 PM
So who is in for Sunday? I am bringing a old friend of minewhom in his wisdon decided to invite a mate of his who in turn invited his dad.
Eish!

Nico, where are you thinking of going ? Arends Nes, Woelwaters, Erina ??
I'm fishing on Sunday, but not sure of the venue yet.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on September 25, 2013, 08:13:28 PM
I may just make this one !
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on September 26, 2013, 10:45:18 AM
I may just make this one !

 
 :creep: :creep: :creep: :creep:
 
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on September 26, 2013, 11:57:37 AM
 :rotfl
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Monster on September 26, 2013, 12:52:12 PM
Hi Herman
Where would you suggest? Would you mind helping out the newbies?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on September 26, 2013, 06:34:40 PM
How about strydoms or italians?  :craz:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on September 26, 2013, 08:21:20 PM
@ Nico, no problem with helping out the Newbies. I think Arends Nes could be a good venue.
 
@ ICstuff. stop being so bloody nasty. The Italians is almost as bad as GVP ito wading. :shk as you well know. (bat :nuts:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on September 26, 2013, 08:36:28 PM
Reg so, Arendsnes it is.
Herman was just yanking chains.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Monster on September 27, 2013, 09:31:46 AM
So arends it is!!
 
Thanks Herman, Pieter stop trying to drown the newby's:) At what time should we meet you there and are we going to braai a boerrie. Homie are you in?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on September 27, 2013, 09:37:07 AM
Chaps , fished Arendsnes last weekend . No fish came out 07:00 to 14:00 and plenty between 16:00 to dark .
 
Worth taking a couple of dry flies . #14 Parachute Adams work lekker.
 
Use it dont use it  :crzy
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Monster on September 27, 2013, 09:47:25 AM
Chaps , fished Arendsnes last weekend . No fish came out 07:00 to 14:00 and plenty between 16:00 to dark .
 
Worth taking a couple of dry flies . #14 Parachute Adams work lekker.
 
Use it dont use it  :crzy


Thanks we will use it , how busy was it? I have never been there but i have heard it can get crowded

Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on September 27, 2013, 09:55:31 AM
With the lekker weather and most guys itching to fish after the winter is more than likely gonna be kuk busy. There is a fair amount of water to fish and if you don’t mind watching a recording of the Rugby you should be okay .
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Monster on September 27, 2013, 10:02:25 AM
Ok cool.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on September 27, 2013, 06:26:49 PM
Lets baai a tjop or two!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on September 27, 2013, 08:52:40 PM
Lets baai a tjop or two!

I'd rather braai ?..
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on September 27, 2013, 08:59:13 PM
lol - so you in?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on September 29, 2013, 06:30:17 PM
What a lovely day!
Me, Nico and Bryan all got fish. The Newbies and Herman blanked but not in the swimming department.
One fish took me for a nice walk through the rapids where I managed to break a broomstick.
Water is warming up and all but me went wet wading so please keep away of spawning fish and please do not cast at them.
Forgot to add: Visibility was 60cm!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on September 30, 2013, 07:31:26 AM
What a lovely day!
Me, Nico and Bryan all got fish. The Newbies and Herman blanked but not in the swimming department.
One fish took me for a nice walk through the rapids where I managed to break a broomstick.
Water is warming up and all but me went wet wading so please keep away of spawning fish and please do not cast at them.
Forgot to add: Visibility was 60cm!

Nice Pieter! Any pics? And of course the kazzillion ront question: how bad was the rock snot?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on September 30, 2013, 10:30:41 AM
Sorry oom herman forgot his thingy that taketh the pictures.
You had to clean your flies every few casts with some snot of note being landed.
But I found that in the faster flowing water there was less snot and more yellows.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on September 30, 2013, 10:32:35 AM
Pieterjie  :wtr:
 
What times did you fish . The normal am session ?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on September 30, 2013, 12:57:26 PM
Yes and then until 3pm
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on September 30, 2013, 01:03:48 PM
Yes and then until 3pm

 
Hard luck old Chap . Think the late afternoon would have been a beter bet . Im going on Friday with Choppie ( Homith ) for a arvie session 11:00 to dark . Will test my theory that Yellow only eat in the arvie untill late Oct .
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on September 30, 2013, 01:21:30 PM
Not so sure on that, I laded a few yellows sunday and lost 2/3 the morning. Where are you phishing? I might join you
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on September 30, 2013, 01:23:13 PM
Not so sure on that, I laded a few yellows sunday and lost 2/3 the morning. Where are you phishing? I might join you

Woelwater , my car is to low for other venues .
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on September 30, 2013, 02:24:37 PM
I will be scamming the venue with you. But I will be there before you tjops
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on September 30, 2013, 02:29:37 PM
I will be scamming the venue with you. But I will be there before you tjops

Takes a big one to see a small one  :crzy
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on September 30, 2013, 02:45:06 PM
Yes it does  :hnthnt:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on September 30, 2013, 03:24:22 PM
yup... Im in..

Just need to get me a wading stick...
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on September 30, 2013, 03:56:14 PM
I wouldn't mind doing an after noon session. Were do you chaps live? maybe we can meet up and go in convoy? 
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on September 30, 2013, 03:58:33 PM
I wouldn't mind doing an after noon session. Were do you chaps live? maybe we can meet up and go in convoy?

Lekker Gav . We both live in the North and Pietertjie in the Dirty Tri-angle . You can meet up with us at the Engen 1 Stop on the N1 before Grassmere Toll .
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Kumz on September 30, 2013, 04:02:56 PM
yup... Im in..

Just need to get me a wading stick...


Mayb a life jacket as well.... :crzy
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on September 30, 2013, 04:29:58 PM
Great stuff what time are you planing on going?

Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on September 30, 2013, 05:19:10 PM
yup... Im in..

Just need to get me a wading stick...

I had an extra one for you, it is now on its way to bloemhof
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on September 30, 2013, 05:32:07 PM
Turning into a nice group .
 
Anybody else wanna join or try their hand at Nympning on the Vaal dont be  :blush:  . Pull in  :uarocks .
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on September 30, 2013, 05:35:07 PM
yup... Im in..

Just need to get me a wading stick...

I had an extra one for you, it is now on its way to bloemhof

No hassles bro... I'll go grab a dowel at builders....
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on October 03, 2013, 09:11:14 AM
Right Chaps are we still on for tomorrow 11:00 to dark  :frid :fshn:
 
Lichia  :corrct:
Homie  :corrct:
 
Pietertjie  :wtr:
 
Gav
 
 
Anybode else ?????? Loads of fun dont be SKAAM  :blush:  pull in !
 
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on October 03, 2013, 09:18:33 AM
I am in!!!! woot woot!!!! :happ:


Gavin Erwin :corrct:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on October 03, 2013, 09:20:21 AM
Remember to attach a rope to you stick chaps!!! :hehe: :hehe: :hehe:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on October 03, 2013, 09:27:02 AM
Where we going ?

Arendses; Woelwaters ?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on October 03, 2013, 09:29:10 AM
Woelwaters 4skn
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on October 03, 2013, 09:38:37 AM
great..
I got a score to settle there !
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on October 03, 2013, 09:40:15 AM
This isn't fair.... :cry:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on October 03, 2013, 09:41:37 AM
So what time are we meeting at the garage and is there anything in particular I must bring?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on October 03, 2013, 09:44:59 AM
Im probably gonna meet Craig at his pozzie at 11ish.. after my meeting
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on October 03, 2013, 09:47:37 AM
So what time are we meeting at the garage and is there anything in particular I must bring?

Gav some cold  :beer:  , lite lunch and 5wt fly tackle . Smaller flies size 14-18 . GRHE, PTN hotspots , Zah's .
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on October 03, 2013, 10:08:46 AM
Done!!! :tkx:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on October 03, 2013, 10:55:13 AM
Last weekend I found that if it was small and black it worked, as well as cricket imitations for dry.
 
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on October 05, 2013, 08:41:53 AM
Well, met Kallie at 11 yesterday, and we were off. Gavin was a few minutes behind us and soon all 3 of us were set up and on the water !
The water was pleasant, not too cold, and the rocksnot was not too bad either.

The yellows were a bit shy, but the muddies sure made up for it !!!

I got 4 muddies and a little yellow ! Man those muddies box hard !!!! One took me down so that i could almost see my backing !

Thanks to Kallie for the drive, advice and cool photos ! and to Gav for the awesome company !

PS - My flies work !!!!

(https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/1277711_10151619312241567_1469160655_o.jpg)
(https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1275310_10151619316391567_740769522_o.jpg)
(https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1277434_10151619316091567_1417397838_o.jpg)
(https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1277838_10151619316631567_1902562537_o.jpg)
(https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/882552_10151619317721567_1102406315_o.jpg)
(https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/904335_10151619318046567_1866494489_o.jpg)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on October 05, 2013, 09:08:22 AM
That was not a bad way to spend a Friday afternoon. Thanks for the awesome trip Craig and Homie!!! Pics will come later. :happ:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on October 05, 2013, 10:53:50 AM
Some pics
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on October 05, 2013, 10:54:46 AM
Some more pics
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on October 06, 2013, 01:50:25 PM
Fished YFP this morning from 07:00 to 11:00. Water was dead calm when I launched the Ark and rowed up to the second reefs. Water temp at 7:30 was 19 and air temp 26. Visibility around 30 - 40 cm's, flows a guess at 16 - 20, but very slow for this time of the year. :dunno:
There was some rock snot around in certain areas, but in others none.
Got one muddy at the top reef, then moved down to the "muddy hole " and got another one. The Barbel and Carp were spawning big time against the other bank in the pool just opposite the smaller house.
 Then I saw 2 youngsters walking into and fishing to the spawning fish with spinners. Quickly got the boat back on the water and rowed across to have a chat with them. They apologised, packed up their gear and moved off.
 
I then had to row downstream to the first reef, as the wind was really pumping. :unhap  Whilst sitting on the boat having some brunch I noticed yellows taking something off the surface all over the place. Not having any dries I found the 2 most nymph and caddis looking flies on and sent them out. 4th cast to rising fish and I had a double hookup. :yipee:
 
Both flies, yes please. :happ:  Both fish were only around a kilo, but proved a worthy fight.
 
Then the biggest barbell I've seen in a long while decided to come spoil the fun, chasing small yellows and muddies all over the place.
I had a brief thought of going for it with my platana fly until I saw that his whiskers were about 20cm apart,  :shk and realised that on a 5# with a 2X leader, this was just looking for a hiding .
 
Then the wind really came up, and I had to row zig zag downstream to get back to the launch site.
 
Another great morning on the Vaal. :clwn
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Ziggy on October 06, 2013, 03:53:28 PM
Very nice fish Homie!!! :+ cred:


However - you must understand that a fly jacket is not a cooler box! This is now  the second time you have been bust transgressing fly fishing etiquette!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on October 06, 2013, 06:40:25 PM
Homie I am going to raas as well...
That looks like a glass bottle and that is not safe!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on October 07, 2013, 07:14:02 AM
Homes thats an absolute beast of a muddie - super fish!! (clap)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on October 07, 2013, 09:59:24 AM
 :tkx: Guys..

Ziggs... Ive since gotten a hip cooler !  :hehe:

(http://static.wixstatic.com/media/a18597_5bd694308042e540045b238888e5516a.jpg_srz_393_266_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Ziggy on October 07, 2013, 10:17:42 AM
:tkx: Guys..

Ziggs... Ive since gotten a hip cooler !  :hehe:



pic wont show?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on October 07, 2013, 10:29:44 AM
fixed !
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Ziggy on October 07, 2013, 09:59:20 PM
fixed !


Looks like a miniature toilet cistern! Sies...and you will keep your beer in that?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on October 08, 2013, 08:39:18 AM
After taking one on the chin on Friday ( trying to be clever fishing 7X tippet and size 18/20 flies ) I went back to Woelwaters yesterday . The big Muddies are still around and landed 7 of which 2 were over 2.8kg . The Yellows are in full spawn so limited my wading but still managed to land 2 Yellows in the 1kg ball park.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on October 08, 2013, 09:14:04 AM
Well done Craig wish I could have joined you. (clap)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on October 08, 2013, 09:18:39 AM
Awesome stuff Craig !

Lucky bugger !!!

 :+ cred:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on October 08, 2013, 09:23:05 AM
Homes , that Muddy of yours has to be somewhere between 3.5 and 3.8kg compaired to the one I caught yesterday that weight 3.38kg . Catch of the month there 4's .
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on October 08, 2013, 09:27:46 AM
Homes , that Muddy of yours has to be somewhere between 3.5 and 3.8kg compaired to the one I caught yesterday that weight 3.38kg . Catch of the month there 4's .

 :shk :shk :shk

Serious ???
Awesome !!!

Thanks bro !
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Kumz on October 08, 2013, 09:28:28 AM
Nice catches Kallie.... :win: :cgrts: ...... :envy
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on October 08, 2013, 10:31:44 AM
Homes , that Muddy of yours has to be somewhere between 3.5 and 3.8kg compaired to the one I caught yesterday that weight 3.38kg . Catch of the month there 4's .

Craig not to be a downer but is your scale calibrated?
Weigh a full 2l milk bottle in it and it should give you a 2kg reading.
Muddies do not tend to be that heavy and the biggest monster I caught which I was sure was a 4kg fish only ended up being 2.8kg

Taking a look at Holmes' fish they all look under 3kg, remember Homie is not that big and dont forget to subtract the weight of your net
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on October 08, 2013, 12:37:15 PM
Homes , that Muddy of yours has to be somewhere between 3.5 and 3.8kg compaired to the one I caught yesterday that weight 3.38kg . Catch of the month there 4's .

Craig not to be a downer but is your scale calibrated?
Weigh a full 2l milk bottle in it and it should give you a 2kg reading.
Muddies do not tend to be that heavy and the biggest monster I caught which I was sure was a 4kg fish only ended up being 2.8kg

Taking a look at Holmes' fish they all look under 3kg, remember Homie is not that big and dont forget to subtract the weight of your net

Pietertjie the scale I used is new and tested on a 2kg bag of rice. It is as close to Dam it . Pm me your mail address and i will send you more pics of the fish as well as one I took of the scale while weighing the fish.
 
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on October 08, 2013, 01:08:49 PM
Noprob - just saying knowing fisherman...
That must have been big muddies
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on October 08, 2013, 02:59:55 PM
Those Muddies were huge!!! :bow:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on October 16, 2013, 06:58:59 AM
Anyone up for a stint at Woelwaters on sat morning ? I hope to be there around sun up.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on October 16, 2013, 09:24:37 AM
Sorry Homie, I may only fish again at the end of November.  :-(
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Ziggy on October 16, 2013, 12:43:23 PM
Sorry Homie, I may only fish again at the end of November.  :-(


Hey icstuff - are you trying to make us feel sorry for you?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on October 16, 2013, 12:48:54 PM
Yes  w;k
But I have had so many invites I have to publicly state that I am "unavailable"
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: UrbanFF on October 19, 2013, 09:19:43 AM
I am sure he'll forgive but I couldn't resist :)


(https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/1391514_10201815433523271_2066747012_n.jpg)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on October 19, 2013, 09:21:11 AM
I am sure he'll forgive but I couldn't resist :)
(https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/1391514_10201815433523271_2066747012_n.jpg)

 
 :hehe: :hyst:    Nice one Richard !!!!
 
 
Herman fishing is hard work , enjoy the nap .
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on October 19, 2013, 03:29:14 PM
Just got back..
 
Great day on the water.
Got there at 6:30 and it looked like it was going to rain... Cleared up nicely and the water was not too cold.
Got 4 yellows, largest around 1.5kgs and 2 muddies.

Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Peter Gordon on October 19, 2013, 04:18:32 PM
Hey Homes, lekker bud (clap) without pics, your comments are not valid sry :crzy :hehe: :rotfl :hyst:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on October 19, 2013, 05:16:21 PM
Yup... I really need a waterproof cam...
Now if the missus can just start work ! lol
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on October 20, 2013, 01:19:35 PM
Nicely done Homes  :bow:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Monster on October 20, 2013, 07:15:27 PM
Well done Homes!
 
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on October 21, 2013, 07:46:43 AM
Hey Homes, lekker bud (clap) without pics, your comments are not valid sry :crzy :hehe: :rotfl :hyst:

Tell him Pete !!!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on October 21, 2013, 10:39:36 AM
Forgot to mention...

saw a decent carp come out.. was great to see...

we saw the fins out the water, and i thought it was a muddy... the guy that caught it, crouched low over the water and presented his fly just above it... on the 3rd try he went on ! took him almost in his backing !

There were some really nice sized yellows landed.. but i fished in the nursery... the biggest one I got was caught just off the main flow.

I went up to the top rocky pools, and the muddies were going wild ! every cast was an on.. but only managed to net 2.. not that big either. I counted 16 ons.. and then off... was frustrating !
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on October 21, 2013, 10:52:22 AM
Gonna do an Arvie session at Woels or Silverstrome next Tuesday . Give me a shout if you wanna join.
 
12:00 to last light  :beer: :fshn:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Monster on October 21, 2013, 10:59:50 AM
Homie where you chumming again?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on October 21, 2013, 11:09:31 AM
Amstel works great as chum..   
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Monster on October 21, 2013, 11:12:08 AM
With  beer you can catch me too! :beer:   
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on October 21, 2013, 11:22:57 AM
Would this rain be effecting anything?
 :dunno:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Monster on October 21, 2013, 11:28:31 AM
Would this rain be effecting anything?
 :dunno:
No Gavin I will still drink beer
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on October 21, 2013, 11:33:49 AM
Yes it will, flows will go up and if more rain falls it might go up a lot. Which will should wash away the rock snot.
If it rains a lot we will have floods
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on October 21, 2013, 11:34:24 AM
Would this rain be effecting anything?
 :dunno:
No Gavin I will still drink beer

 :hehe:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on October 21, 2013, 11:50:23 AM
Would this rain be effecting anything?
 :dunno:
No Gavin I will still drink beer

 :win:  Lol, very sharp!  :rotfl
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Peter Gordon on October 21, 2013, 11:55:02 AM
Yup... I really need a waterproof cam...
Now if the missus can just start work ! lol
Homes I've got one that you can loan anytime bro
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on October 21, 2013, 11:57:11 AM
Yup... I really need a waterproof cam...
Now if the missus can just start work ! lol
Homes I've got one that you can loan anytime bro

The Chop has mine and didnt use it  :nuts: :craz:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on October 21, 2013, 11:59:02 AM
Theres a strafdop in this somewhere....
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Peter Gordon on October 21, 2013, 12:00:51 PM
Yup... I really need a waterproof cam...
Now if the missus can just start work ! lol
Homes I've got one that you can loan anytime bro

The Chop has mine and didnt use it  :nuts: :craz:
BTW Kallie, when are you coming to fetch the freezer? Sorry for the highjack duh
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on October 21, 2013, 12:09:58 PM
Yup... I really need a waterproof cam...
Now if the missus can just start work ! lol
Homes I've got one that you can loan anytime bro

The Chop has mine and didnt use it  :nuts: :craz:
BTW Kallie, when are you coming to fetch the freezer? Sorry for the highjack duh

Next week Monday , okay with you ?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Peter Gordon on October 21, 2013, 12:25:51 PM
Yup... I really need a waterproof cam...
Now if the missus can just start work ! lol
Homes I've got one that you can loan anytime bro

The Chop has mine and didnt use it  :nuts: :craz:
BTW Kallie, when are you coming to fetch the freezer? Sorry for the highjack duh

Next week Monday , okay with you ?
Cool boet,
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on October 22, 2013, 10:13:21 AM
So after the rains how is the water looking, is it worth hitting a session on thursday? :dunno: 
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on October 22, 2013, 10:25:47 AM
So after the rains how is the water looking, is it worth hitting a session on thursday? :dunno: 

 
Should be just check the flow rate . Google it  w;k
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on October 22, 2013, 10:47:28 AM
Thanks Craig and how is smilinthrough? :tkx:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on October 22, 2013, 02:38:16 PM
Pasop chasps, the flows are up. From last night 22h00 till this afternoon its gone from 15 cubes to 51, climbing steadily. Lets hope they drop for the weekend... :pray:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on October 22, 2013, 03:13:57 PM
http://www.reservoir.co.za/flow.htm (http://www.reservoir.co.za/flow.htm)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on October 22, 2013, 04:40:27 PM
I have lost my link to the dwaf measurements link does someone still have it?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Pipe on October 22, 2013, 05:21:21 PM
http://www.dwaf.gov.za/Hydrology/RTMain.aspx (http://www.dwaf.gov.za/Hydrology/RTMain.aspx)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on October 22, 2013, 05:34:08 PM
Dankie Piet
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on October 24, 2013, 11:09:22 AM
anyone fishing this weekend ?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on October 24, 2013, 11:12:31 AM
anyone fishing this weekend ?

Nah , I will be making live bait traces for  :gt:  and Blackfin  :brnz:  in Kosi the next week  :crzy
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on October 24, 2013, 11:59:13 AM
anyone fishing this weekend ?

Weather and flows permitting, planning on a Sunday morning session  :corrct:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: UrbanFF on October 24, 2013, 04:02:28 PM
Flows permitting I will be at Silwerstroeme teaching 12 guys to catch Carp
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on November 06, 2013, 10:40:18 AM
Anyone fishing this weekend ???
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on November 06, 2013, 10:42:57 AM
Anyone fishing this weekend ???

Flows permitting, I don't see why not?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on November 06, 2013, 10:50:58 AM
Just checked the DWAF data sheet, the flows have dropped from 39 last night to 27 this morning. Whens that canoe race??
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on November 06, 2013, 11:19:26 AM
Was this past weekend 2-3 Nov...

so there should be no rocksnot !
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on November 06, 2013, 11:25:37 AM
Just checked the data sheet again, they had the river at over 80 over Saturday night.... :hnthnt:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on November 06, 2013, 11:27:35 AM
Just checked the data sheet again, they had the river at over 80 over Saturday night.... :hnthnt:

is that good ???
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on November 06, 2013, 11:30:58 AM
is that good ???

I'm not sure how much water they usually release for that race, I actually thought it would be more than that? But ja nothing wrong with the river getting a flush  :corrct:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: UrbanFF on November 06, 2013, 01:33:07 PM
Just checked the data sheet again, they had the river at over 80 over Saturday night.... :hnthnt:

is that good ???
Brilliant :happ:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on November 11, 2013, 07:33:39 AM
Herman, Homes and myself fished a morning session at Eastco yesterday. Weather was fantastic, and being my first fishing session on the Vaal this Spring/summer it was awesome to be out. Herman measured the water temp at 21 degrees, but the flow rate was seriously low at 14 tons. Even the "fast water" sections weren't fast, it was like wading in a swimming pool....but none of blanked and we all got into the yellows. It was quite weird fishing a session and not one muddie was caught! Flies that produced were caddis imitations and of course old reliable, the Humpy's Favourite. My first yellow took a size 18 grey caddis imitation, always nice getting fish on those small flies. Thanks to Homes for treating me to a couple of craft beers at the HogsHead on the way home, luverly stuff!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Ettienne on November 11, 2013, 09:01:53 AM
Wel done guys.
 
Wag n Bietjie this weekend...... Cannot wait
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on November 11, 2013, 09:16:43 AM


As Rory says, perfect day out. Cant believe that we were the only 3 on that huge stretch of water !

My 1st time at Eastco and its a great venue.  I only managed to net one small yellow on a size 16 tan caddis.

Thanks to Rory for the ride and to Herman for the trout flies !
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on November 11, 2013, 09:46:21 AM
Wel done guys.
 
Wag n Bietjie this weekend...... Cannot wait

Sounds like fun please give us a report!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: UrbanFF on November 11, 2013, 09:54:32 AM
We fished Vaal de Sioleh on Sunday , slightly more people around but then again we also had a larger haul too, 4 species:
Moggel
Muddy
SMY
Barbel


Various flies were successful, from blood worms to green rock worms but the most hit upon was the good old hot spot PTN, also any other flies incorporating an orange bead.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on November 11, 2013, 10:15:17 AM
Those moggels put up quite a fight congrats
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Ianzo on November 11, 2013, 08:07:49 PM
I was at Wag n bietjie the weekend, some nice fish above 3Kg came out, fishing was a bit slow though. Water level was nice and tempr around 22C
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on November 15, 2013, 10:49:43 AM
We fished Vaal de Sioleh on Sunday , slightly more people around but then again we also had a larger haul too, 4 species:
Moggel
Muddy
SMY
Barbel


Various flies were successful, from blood worms to green rock worms but the most hit upon was the good old hot spot PTN, also any other flies incorporating an orange bead.

Always a  :win: 
 
 
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on November 15, 2013, 10:56:25 AM
Fished Woelwaters on Tuesday had the river to myself  :yipee: :rck" :geet . Wind was pumping and blew my off the water around 12:00 . Managed a couple of Yellows and Muddies . Catch of the day was this Mermaid  :brbel:  of +/- 3kg who put up a solid fight. Flies that worked anything incorporating an orange bead w;k .
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on November 18, 2013, 12:36:42 PM
Herman, Russ, Luke and myself fished an old favourite venue of ours above the Barrage yesterday morning. Being only a couple of kilometres below the vaal dam wall, the water is very cold year round, Herman measured the temp at 16 dgrees. That temp generally makes this venue a challenge, and not having wet waded there in 3 years made for a cold morning! Luke managed a monster muddie, Russ and Herman kept losing their fish at the net and I managed 2 muddies and a yellow. I carried on fishing the same flies I used last week, Humpys Favourite control fly and a small size 18 grey caddis on the point. Both produced.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on November 18, 2013, 03:37:33 PM
Nicely done Uncle Rory and Co  (clap)
 
 
Chaps , where is a nice venue with lady friendly ablusions to camp on the Vaal ? ( Woelwaters , Aardnes and Eastco all options ) but are there any other ?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: UrbanFF on November 18, 2013, 04:59:50 PM
Fished Eendekuil on Sunday , heavy flows and lots of rods made for a challenging time, estimate the flow at +- 35 , coming down from 45 on Saturday. Visibility was surprisingly good, managed to see my feet whilst in thigh deep water, wonder if my Yellow Loikas make it easier  :hehe:
Managed 14 smallies 400 gram- 2.5 Kgs , 3 muddies and 3 Carp, Carp were all taken at the top of the second run in the deeper water, they took any kind of Orange hot spot (bead , dubbing , didn't care).


Yellows eagerly took a size 16 red buzzer fished as the top fly 2-3 foot above the dropper hanging off a 5 inch tag, the size 22 hot spot PTN fished on point also produced very nicely, all fish came out of either pocket water or at the edge of fast water, guess they also battled a little in the higher than average flows.


Things should be back to +- 15 very soon based on the Barrage outflow this morning, last time I tried to check Goose Bay the web page was still down.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on November 18, 2013, 05:09:15 PM
Nicely done Uncle Rory and Co  (clap)
 
 
Chaps , where is a nice venue with lady friendly ablusions to camp on the Vaal ? ( Woelwaters , Aardnes and Eastco all options ) but are there any other ?

Kallie my wife liked Geelvis but the wading might be difficult...
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on November 18, 2013, 05:16:12 PM
Herman, Russ, Luke and myself fished an old favourite venue of ours above the Barrage yesterday morning. Being only a couple of kilometres below the vaal dam wall, the water is very cold year round, Herman measured the temp at 16 dgrees. That temp generally makes this venue a challenge, and not having wet waded there in 3 years made for a cold morning! Luke managed a monster muddie, Russ and Herman kept losing their fish at the net and I managed 2 muddies and a yellow. I carried on fishing the same flies I used last week, Humpys Favourite control fly and a small size 18 grey caddis on the point. Both produced.

Rory you should have tried that uv black nymph of mine, your line would never have been slack  :hnthnt:
Sorry that I could not join you chaps, but my knee should be better by the 30th
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on November 18, 2013, 05:17:09 PM
Nicely done Uncle Rory and Co  (clap)
 
 
Chaps , where is a nice venue with lady friendly ablusions to camp on the Vaal ? ( Woelwaters , Aardnes and Eastco all options ) but are there any other ?

Kallie my wife liked Geelvis but the wading might be difficult...

Geelvis gave my Mrs the " Grills ". The Booze filled reception/shop/office is scary shyte .
 
Think I might as well do Eastco , Mrs loves it there .
 
 
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on November 18, 2013, 09:15:04 PM
Nicely done Uncle Rory and Co  (clap)
 
 
Chaps , where is a nice venue with lady friendly ablusions to camp on the Vaal ? ( Woelwaters , Aardnes and Eastco all options ) but are there any other ?

Kallie my wife liked Geelvis but the wading might be difficult...

Geelvis gave my Mrs the " Grills ". The Booze filled reception/shop/office is scary shyte .
 
Think I might as well do Eastco , Mrs loves it there .

Kallie, there is also Oord Nebo and Elgro near Potch.
 Arends Nest, next door to Woelwaters.
Hadeda Creek, Dimalachite, Vaal de Siloh ( Ben Joh ) and the best fishing of all, (with chalets) Vaal Hackle, all near Parys.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on November 18, 2013, 09:19:05 PM
Herman, Russ, Luke and myself fished an old favourite venue of ours above the Barrage yesterday morning. Being only a couple of kilometres below the vaal dam wall, the water is very cold year round, Herman measured the temp at 16 dgrees. That temp generally makes this venue a challenge, and not having wet waded there in 3 years made for a cold morning! Luke managed a monster muddie, Russ and Herman kept losing their fish at the net and I managed 2 muddies and a yellow. I carried on fishing the same flies I used last week, Humpys Favourite control fly and a small size 18 grey caddis on the point. Both produced.

Rory you should have tried that uv black nymph of mine, your line would never have been slack  :hnthnt:
Sorry that I could not join you chaps, but my knee should be better by the 30th
[/quot
 
Pieter, for some unknown reason they were not interested in Black UV nymphs  :dunno: or any nymph for that matter. Small caddis were the order of the day.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on November 18, 2013, 09:52:31 PM
Herman that might be so, but I would have made it work  w;k
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on November 19, 2013, 07:21:42 AM

....Rory you should have tried that uv black nymph of mine, your line would never have been slack  :hnthnt: ......


Why, you're too kind, I'll take 3 on a size 14, 3 on a size 16 and 3 on a size 18 thanks Pieter!  :hnthnt:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on November 19, 2013, 07:54:35 AM
Ok will swap it for some beer or beer knowhow  w;k
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on November 19, 2013, 07:59:10 AM
Pietertjie , post a pic of this wonder fly of yours  :hnthnt:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on November 19, 2013, 08:15:08 AM
Pietertjie , post a pic of this wonder fly of yours  :hnthnt:

Ja - and a SBS as well please!  :hnthnt:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on November 19, 2013, 08:30:50 AM
Pietertjie , post a pic of this wonder fly of yours  :hnthnt:

Ja - and a SBS as well please!  :hnthnt:

For sure !!!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on November 19, 2013, 08:46:00 AM
Will do so over the weekend  :craz:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on November 19, 2013, 08:54:42 AM
Right... whose fishing on Sat ???

I need to test my new rod and reel
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on November 20, 2013, 03:06:58 PM
Bump
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on November 20, 2013, 03:29:46 PM
4's working on something . Lets see how the cookie crumbles.  :fshn: :frid
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: doc on November 20, 2013, 03:43:35 PM
I can maybe join on Sunday?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on November 20, 2013, 03:46:47 PM
I can maybe join on Sunday?

Uncle Doc . Morning or Arvie session ?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: doc on November 20, 2013, 04:47:11 PM
Does not matter to me Kallie
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on November 24, 2013, 08:05:16 PM
Doc, Rory, Marlon and myself fished Eastco this morning and once again we had the entire river to ourselves.

Fishing was hard to say the least, and after 5 hours, only 3 fish were landed.

Doc started things of with a yellow of 2.2 kgs that gave him a good run for his money.
We then all headed upstream to fish near the willows, and Rory landed a beaut of a 2kg yellow, followed by another just under a kg.

Seems I have to wait to break in my new setup.

Huge thanks to Doc for the ride and Rory for the company.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: doc on November 25, 2013, 09:05:08 AM
It was a lekker morning at Eastco with great fishing companions like Homes said tough fishing.
I was a bit slow getting to the other side  of the small island to get a pic of Rory's fish :blush: .


Rory was nice enough to help me land this yellow and take a picture :tkx:  my new pb yellow.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Zetti on November 25, 2013, 09:23:14 AM
It was a lekker morning at Eastco with great fishing companions like Homes said tough fishing.
I was a bit slow getting to the other side  of the small island to get a pic of Rory's fish :blush: .


Rory was nice enough to help me land this yellow and take a picture :tkx:  my new pb yellow.

Well done Higgins! Nice yellow.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on November 25, 2013, 09:24:37 AM
Thanks for a super morning chasps! That spot might not produce fish every second cast, but the awesome placidness, and varying types of fishing water always make for a good outing. This was Marlon's first ever trip to fish the Vaal and hats off to him for not ending up doing the shuffle. Marlon your time will come!! Viz was super, and the fish were all taken in the deeper runs, flies that produced for me were the "Bling Bling" control fly, and a flashback squirrel nymph.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on November 25, 2013, 09:35:26 AM
Really wish we could have had a pic of your fish Rory.. was a beaut !

Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on November 25, 2013, 09:38:02 AM
Really wish we could have had a pic of your fish Rory.. was a beaut !

Well Homes at least I finally got to seriously bully that Black Widow rod, thats put my mind at ease  :corrct:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Skaap Tjop on November 25, 2013, 09:39:20 AM
Nice one fellas... (clap)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on November 25, 2013, 09:41:07 AM
Really wish we could have had a pic of your fish Rory.. was a beaut !

Well Homes at least I finally got to seriously bully that Black Widow rod, thats put my mind at ease  :corrct:

I was just praying you didnt break that rod on my head if i lost that fish  :hehe:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on November 25, 2013, 09:48:47 AM

I was just praying you didnt break that rod on my head if i lost that fish  :hehe:

Lol, you know me Homes, I'm not a violent person at all  :clwn  If you had lost the fish I probably would have only held your head underwater for a little longer than deemed necassary... :crzy  But seriously, that case is some more food for thought on fishing multiple flies and how quickly things can go pear shaped with extra hooks trailing around after an upset fish!!!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on November 25, 2013, 09:50:58 AM
How was the flows, snot and clarity?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on November 25, 2013, 09:52:36 AM
How was the flows, snot and clarity?

Flows were absolutely perfect, no snot and viz was about 30 - 40cm.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on November 25, 2013, 09:01:12 PM
Sounds like you all had a great morning out.
@ Doc, congrats on your PB yellow Marthin. :clwn :clwn (clap)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: UrbanFF on November 26, 2013, 09:36:23 AM
I took a bunch of newbies to Vaal de Sioleh on Sunday - all 6 caught at least 1 fish and the one chap smashed his brand new rod on a muddie as he lifted way too high when trying to net the fish, he then proceeded to catch a 3.2 Kg SMY as his first fish on fly, we all laughed and said that catching a PB as his first fish is going to make any other Yellow he catches pale by comparison , so he goes and catches a 4 kg for his 2nd !!! Also had an epic tussle with a 8 kg +++ Grass Carp that lasted a kilometer and almost an hour - full story here https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151826774861687&set=a.75247366686.78791.740456686&type=1&theater (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151826774861687&set=a.75247366686.78791.740456686&type=1&theater)


and some fun images here :
 
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on November 26, 2013, 09:57:02 AM
We can say what we want about grass carp but when you have one on the line you know about it!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: GT Mayhem on November 26, 2013, 02:59:03 PM
THEY ARE HUGE FUN ON DRY FLY!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on December 01, 2013, 08:36:09 PM
Me, Herman, Bryan, Chris and Jasper fished Parys today. 4:30 the dwaf reading said 70c for schoemansdrift but when we got there it was higher. We where greeted by muddies spawning all over the place and the barbel enjoying them selfs in between. Barbel was rising all over the place and I have never seen flies hitting the water so quickly. After chucking the fly many a time with only a few fish showing interest but none taking we all moved to the rapids. With all the buddies spawning the yellows where notably absent, but a few was hooked and only one landed. Order of the day was big muddies with mermaids in between with one wire-trap being landed by Chris after it he lost a nice yellow on it. Bryan persistently targeted the rising barbel over lunch and was rewarded with one. All of us took drifts on the river apart from Bryan who was impervious to any waters. After one of Herman's trademark mobility drifts (r) caused some damage to his pants that made it disintegrate during the braai... needles to say but we will need therapy for years to deal with the trauma!

It was a lovely day where the fish taught us lessons and friends got to share a beer over stories of the one that got away!
PS No pictures was taken and no spawning fish or beds where targeted
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on December 09, 2013, 03:56:35 PM
I fished the vaal below the Barrage this morning and was treated to some feisty sub 1Kg yellows that attacked my flies like shad. Caught so many that I stopped counting. I also had a pleasant surprise when an extra sluice was opened without me knowing causing me some trouble crossing back over the river.

it seems with all the rain we have been having and the extra water entering the vaaldam, that we might be in for a good flush of the system!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on December 09, 2013, 04:05:47 PM
Nice Pietertjie  (clap)
 
Believe the guys done very well at the same spot yesterday as well .
 
Did San Juan worms do the trick ?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on December 09, 2013, 05:04:14 PM
Yes, and white caddis.
I was fishing with a red epoxy buzzer and it was hit almost as soon as it hit the water.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on December 09, 2013, 05:12:29 PM
Yes, and white caddis.
I was fishing with a red epoxy buzzer and it was hit almost as soon as it hit the water.

Lekker , bet you will be back there tomorrow . Watch out for the Troll under the low level bridge !!!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on December 09, 2013, 05:46:51 PM
It did try and mate with my leg... cant fish tomorrow  :-(
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on December 09, 2013, 05:50:28 PM
It did try and mate with my leg... cant fish tomorrow  :-(

Sies !!!!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on December 13, 2013, 07:44:30 AM
OK guys check the flow rates before fishing the Vaal this weekend. An international F2 boating event will take place on the Barrage tomorrow so they've opened 3 sluices at the dam, so they currently releasing 200 cumec. Apparently they plan on releasing 400 + cumecs from the barrage today, and then from this evening only release whatever is being delivered via the tributaries (currently 200cumec already).
 
Please check www.dwaf.gov.za/Hydrology/RTMain.aspx (http://www.dwaf.gov.za/Hydrology/RTMain.aspx) before going fishing
 
Pasop!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on December 13, 2013, 02:40:27 PM
OK. So I fished the Italians this morning. What an interesting day :clwn
On arrival 3 sluices were open and the flows around 200 tons. I rigged up knowing where I was going to fish ( in amongst the trees and grass in the usual parking area ).

Some barbell were having fun in the very shallow water by the pebbles, but I thought , they will still be there later lets go get some yellows.

After an hours fishing and 4 fly changes I got a muddie, followed soon after by another one.

I then noticed at around 09:30 that they were closing the sluices, but one after the other. All 3 sluices were closed within 30 minutes, and as you can imagine the water levels dropped very quickly, being so close to the wall.

The result ? I got another 40 muddies and 3 barbell, all either hand caught or netted, that were stuck in the little pools left amongst the rocks and pebbles. All were safely returned to the main river.

3 locals had a ball scooping up muddies that were stranded, between them they must have taken around 150 - 200 muddies out of the little pools.

I actually ended up helping them when I realised that those fish that were left in the ever dwindling pools were virtually dead. At the end of an hour or so, there must have been around 100 dead muddies on the rocks.  :shk

Now I ask the question. Why close 3 sluices, 1 after the other within 30 minutes ???? :dunno:  :unhap Why not close 1 an hour over 3 hours,?  at least then the fish would have had time to get out of a dwindling pool and into better water.

Anyway after the clean up I went to target them barbel. They were still surfacing, but did not want any of the 4 platanas, 2 streamers, 3 wooly buggers, or even a white over chartreuse salty bugger that I threw at them. :dunno:

 Funny enough the morning's fishing ended with a huge muddie being landed on the salty bugger. :cnfzd There again he had no chance against a 6# Elbe, Stealth 9# reel and 40 lb leader.  :hehe: :hehe:

What an unusual and great learning morning.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on December 13, 2013, 07:29:58 PM
That is unusual  :dunno:
I thought it would be open for the day
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on December 17, 2013, 12:23:20 PM
Pieter ( IC Stuff ) and I fished venue P yesterday, having to go around to the Gauteng side to get access.
Water temp was 18 which is warm for this venue, but had Pieter wishing he had brought his waders. :hehe:
The underwater topography seems to have changed a bit over the last 18 months when we last fished this venue, with certain areas seeming to be shallower than before. We soon settled in to our favourite spots. I got cleaned up 6 love by a yellow and then 2 muddies in a row, 2 of the 3 fish snapping my leader ( 5.5kg Maxima  :shk the rest of the spool  has now been tossed.) resulting in Pieter giving me a straf dop. (bat
I called him up to my spot and he soon hooked and landed a barbell.
We then broke for brunch at around 10:30 and on the way back to the cars peered into a pool running parallel with the river and spotted some bass.
After brunch we went to the pool armed with suitable flies.
Pieter's first cast to a sight fished bass resulted in a solid hook up, leading to a +/- 700 gem bass being landed. This fish went back to it's same spot, but this time with lock jaw.
I then sight fished the 2nd bass which was slightly larger, which after being released also got lock jaw.
It seemed as if the 2 bass we caught were the only ones in the pool. As we left Pieter noticed a 3rd bass surrounded by fry in a very shallow grassed up area near some reeds.

All in all a very pleasant and rewarding day on the river. w;k
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on December 17, 2013, 12:39:39 PM
Nice Herman
 
 
 
Was planning to fish Vaal streams yesterday but as I past the Grasmere toll realised I had left my wading stick at home  :unhap . Now literally only having half an ear , giving me the balance of a Hippo on a tight rope I opted to fish the venue I know best Woelwaters rather than loose teeth .
 
 
 
Water was packed with papgooiers and had to wade quite a bit downstream .
 
 
 
In 4 hours of fishing managed to land 2 x Moggels ( the size of Sards ) and 1 Medium Muddy hooked solid in the mouth for a change. Flows were on the strong side and vis not very good .
 
 
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on December 17, 2013, 12:56:19 PM
Nice one kallie! fishing is more difficult than it was this time last year
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on December 17, 2013, 01:05:06 PM
anybody want to fish tomorrow or Thursday ?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on December 17, 2013, 01:11:47 PM
anybody want to fish tomorrow or Thursday ?
Homes I will be fishing venue P on Thursday. You are more than welcome to join me.
You will have to pm me your cell no so that I can send you the co-ordinates of the gate to the venue.  w;k
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on December 17, 2013, 08:38:03 PM
anybody want to fish tomorrow or Thursday ?
Homes I will be fishing venue P on Thursday. You are more than welcome to join me.
You will have to pm me your cell no so that I can send you the co-ordinates of the gate to the venue.  w;k

Yup,
Myself and Rory are in !
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on December 17, 2013, 09:08:53 PM
Gents enjoy and give that bass of mine some rest! Although she was eager and willing,  I was her first and she did not expect it to be that rough!  :hnthnt:

ps herman I forgot your books again will bring on first trip in the new year!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on December 19, 2013, 05:11:10 AM
Decided to call it off... been raining heavily the entire night and forcast for more rain and thunderstorms. ..
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on December 19, 2013, 07:39:40 AM
Decided to call it off... been raining heavily the entire night and forcast for more rain and thunderstorms. ..

 
 
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on December 19, 2013, 08:36:58 PM
Decided to call it off... been raining heavily the entire night and forcast for more rain and thunderstorms. ..

Precisely Kallie. Got a SMS from the Jo'burg woosies early this morning that they were bailing out.
So of I went to venue P on my lonesome. The trip there was fun with the dirt road being a ladies mud wrestling bath. :hehe:
The 10 k's of dirt took me about 15 minutes, going side ways more often than not. :happ:

Rigged up and went fishing under cloudy skies and a cold upstream wind. I fished my favourite spot as well as Pieter's and in 3 hours of fishing managed to foul hook and loose a muddie. :dunno:

I then tried the bass pond, but even though I had follows with open mouths they would not take any of the 8 different flies I presented. :cnfzd  :cry:

Finally called it a day at around 13:00 and drove home on much drier, but less fun dirt road.  :-(

Another brilliant day on the Vaal. :happ: :happ:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on December 20, 2013, 04:37:54 PM
WARNING!!!!!!!! VAAL DAM OPENS SLUICES' :shk  :shk

Guys and Gals, I have just checked the DWA site, the release from the Vaal Dam is
100+ tons, which means that they have opened at least 2 sluices.
The Barrage is already under pressure with the Klip, Suikerbos and others pouring in over 200 tons.  :shk

Choose your weekend fishing spots VERY CAREFULLY. !!!!!!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on December 20, 2013, 04:40:40 PM
Herman , how would this effect the Potch area ? Elgro / Oord Nebo .
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on December 20, 2013, 04:59:18 PM
Herman , how would this effect the Potch area ? Elgro / Oord Nebo .

Kallie, the latest reading from Schoemansdrif was 49 tons. I have not been able to see the barrage release for over a week now. ( Maybe Rand Water has gone on leave  :dunno:). The last Goosebay reading was on the 6th Dec, so maybe the meter is crocked from the last high flows.

My advice is phone Elgro and ask them what is happening ito flows, before leaving. They have a better idea of what's happening on that stretch of the river.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on December 20, 2013, 05:45:15 PM
Anybody up for a fish on Monday ?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on December 21, 2013, 11:57:26 AM
Anybody up for a fish on Monday ?

I will be fishing the Italian's tomorrow. Everyone mad enough is welcome. :craz: :hnthnt:

Homes just watch the flows. I see the Goose Bay meter is working again and Rand Water have updated the reservoir site.

Currently Goose Bay around 220 tons, Barrage at 07:00 , 227 tons, Schoemans 174 tons.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on December 21, 2013, 12:02:26 PM
Anybody up for a fish on Monday ?

I will be fishing the Italian's tomorrow. Everyone mad enough is welcome. :craz: :hnthnt:

Homes just watch the flows. I see the Goose Bay meter is working again and Rand Water have updated the reservoir site.

 

Currently Goose Bay around 220 tons, Barrage at 07:00 , 227 tons, Schoemans 174 tons.

Hier kom KUK !!!
 
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on December 21, 2013, 12:25:12 PM
Anybody up for a fish on Monday ?

I will be fishing the Italian's tomorrow. Everyone mad enough is welcome. :craz: :hnthnt:

Homes just watch the flows. I see the Goose Bay meter is working again and Rand Water have updated the reservoir site.

 

Currently Goose Bay around 220 tons, Barrage at 07:00 , 227 tons, Schoemans 174 tons.

Hier kom KUK !!!


Kallie, why not join me at the Italians tomorrow  ?
Pssssstttt : :hnthnt: I'll show  you where to fish. w;k
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on December 21, 2013, 12:48:06 PM
 :tkx:  Herms but im proper *&^^%% at work until the new year . I'm the bloke that makes sure Woolworths has stock on their shelves . Volumes increase 8 fold over the festive season so no fishing for me soon  :cry: 
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on December 21, 2013, 12:50:31 PM
:tkx:  Herms but im proper *&^^%% at work until the new year . I'm the bloke that makes sure Woolworths has stock on their shelves . Volumes increase 8 fold over the festive season so no fishing for me soon  :cry:

Eeeiiissshhh. Sorry to hear  :-(
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on December 23, 2013, 08:08:34 PM
Fished the Italian's yesterday. Flows were at 120 tons as expected.
The barbell were there in the same spot, but this time I came prepared. 8/9 Stealth, with matching reel, 40 lb leader, popper head and the right plattie flies.  :hnthnt:
Got the first one after 15 minutes, and the second 10 minutes later. w;k
This was much to the consternation of the young bait angler who had been trying to catch them for over an hour and a half. :dunno: All he had was mielie pips, so I suggested he go find some crickets, or a crab.
The barbell then went down so I changed rigs and went searching for yellows. On entering the water another f/f got a beut of a yellow around 2 - 2.5 kg.
I managed a moggel, and then lost my braided loop, leader and flies to something that not even the Scott's tip could protect. :shk
Went back to the car, and saw the youngster mentioned earlier landing a size barbell, caught on a cricket that he had caught. :clwn :clwn
Another brilliant morning on the Vaal. :-)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on December 28, 2013, 12:59:38 PM
With the flows being the way they are, I had to fish the Italian's again yesterday.
Although they had closed the one sluice that was open, they had opened 8 river valves which left the flows at around 85 tons which even though lower than the previous 120 was enough to discourage  me from trying to cross the main run.
The barbell were missing from their normal spot of the last few visits, so I rigged up my trusty Scott and went looking for gold.
I was pleasantly rewarded with 2 beautifully coloured and conditioned sm yellows of around 1.5 to 2 kg each. :happ:

I then lost my whole leader ( again  swr <: :dunno:) so decided to call it a day and go and have a brunch at the Croc Ranch Restuarant and PUB. :hnthnt:

I will be fishing again on Monday, venue to be decided tomorrow afternoon, dependant on the flows. Anyone keen to join me ???  w;k
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on December 30, 2013, 05:28:52 PM
Last report for 2013. :-(

Fished the Italians today and they opened a sluice on me  :shk.

Luckily I heard the siren as they opened the sluice. :-)

Results of the day.............................
.....
.....
.....
....





LAST BLANK OF THE YEAR.  :yipee: :yipee:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on January 03, 2014, 01:21:42 PM
Any reports for this year?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on January 03, 2014, 01:39:09 PM
Any reports for this year?

Flows are Woes Pietertjie . Heard of a Bloke that tried to Fish Aarendsnes on Sunday , they found him in Barkley west on Monday arvie .
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on January 03, 2014, 02:16:02 PM
Any reports for this year?

Yup...

Lots and lots of water !!!
Have you seen the flows ????
 <:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on January 03, 2014, 02:54:08 PM
Yes I did - but did not know how yellow you chaps are!!!!!  :crzy
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on January 04, 2014, 07:57:18 PM
Man I just wish these flows would ease up....
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on January 05, 2014, 12:20:39 PM
Man I just wish these flows would ease up....

Homes, at this rate maybe towards the end of the month, possibly 2 weeks earlier depending on rainfall in the Standerton / Ermelo area, and of course Southern Jo'burg.

I WILL be fishing next Sunday. Either venue I or venue V. Venue V's flows are down to around 4 tons now, if they drop to 2 then it's game on. :happ:

If not then it's venue I, up to 1000 tons it's safely fishable.  :crzy  :creep:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: bassbug on January 06, 2014, 04:29:35 PM
Man I just wish these flows would ease up....
hi homie
have you heard of vaal streams, just just below the vaal dam wall. the flow is generally much lower than below the barrage. at the moment they are 20 cubes compared to the 70 cubes below the barrage
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on January 10, 2014, 08:32:41 AM
Hey BB,
Yup, been looking at that thanks !
Vaal dam is 99% full, so it may not last !!!

Anyone up for a session tomorrow morning ????
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: doc on January 10, 2014, 08:52:09 AM
Im in Homes

Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on January 10, 2014, 08:55:14 AM
Im in Homes

Sweet,

Where ? Woelwaters ?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: doc on January 10, 2014, 09:18:20 AM
Is it not going to be to busy? Never been there before so game. Just do not want to wait my turn to make a cast.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on January 10, 2014, 09:29:23 AM
Is it not going to be to busy? Never been there before so game. Just do not want to wait my turn to make a cast.

Last time I was there on a Sat there were a total of 8 ppl on the water...

Dont think it will be too busy.... last weekend before most go back to work ?

Also open to suggestions ??????
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: doc on January 10, 2014, 09:32:33 AM
Woelwaters sounds good
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on January 12, 2014, 05:36:02 PM
Doc and I fished Woelwaters yesterday morning...
Flows were around 80.. lots of water and visibility around 2cm ! lol

We both had a few hookups, but landing them wasnt so easy ! Doc had one huge run, and that fish was stopping for no one !!!!
 Both doc and I managed to get 1 small yellow each to the net, and i had one jump and spit the hook right as i was reaching for the net... There were lots of small fish though !
We only saw one other yellow landed, and that was just as we were rigging up.

Docs fish on the way to Potch
(https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/q80/s720x720/1601213_10151814714576567_216931391_n.jpg)

Mine - I Finally broke in my new setup !
(https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/q71/s720x720/1549457_10151814713106567_707687392_n.jpg)
(https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/q73/s720x720/1560641_10151814713141567_864528329_n.jpg)

Doc on !
(https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/1599700_10151814713341567_2044357549_o.jpg)
(https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/1523067_10151814712281567_1178110875_o.jpg)

As we were getting off the water, we noticed that the level had risen substantially... as we got in at Woelwaters at the little steps and slipway, the water was waist deep... getting out at the same spot and it was now chest deep !

Thanks Doc for the ride and a lekker day and to Peter Gordon for the camera !
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on January 13, 2014, 03:07:01 PM
Quick question....

What indicator do you prefer ????

I tried the yarn style one with the 2 o rings. Read somewhere that an indicator (like this yarn style) that makes your line at 90 degrees is better ????... but after a while, it just soaks up water and isnt that great !
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on January 13, 2014, 03:17:03 PM
I use one of those rugby ball shaped ones. But at woelwaters I prefer fishing without an indicator
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on January 13, 2014, 03:20:09 PM
Reasons Pieter ???
and why no indicator at WW ?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Debbie on January 13, 2014, 03:41:00 PM
Great report back and stunning photos  (clap) (clap)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on January 13, 2014, 04:42:12 PM
They float... but I am trying out uv resin as an indicator will report on the success.
For some reason the fish at ww takes the fly easier without the indicator I am not sure why.
I have fished the venue twice without indicator and found that I catch more yellows and more fish than with the indicator.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on January 13, 2014, 06:45:47 PM
I fished Erina yesterday.
Flows were around 60, which made crossing the first channel fun, but doable.  :hnthnt:

Visibility was around 20mm  :shk, but I still managed 7 small juvenile yellows :-)

Actually quite happy that I did not hook into a beast as that would have taken me to Bloemhof .  :shk :shk w;k
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on January 13, 2014, 08:12:35 PM
I use one of those rugby ball shaped ones. But at woelwaters I prefer fishing without an indicator


I agree with Pieter, if I fish an indicator I use the rugby ball type. Main reason is those rugby ball types don't sink, they stay afloat even with bombs for control flies. Never had an issue with them.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: bassbug on January 13, 2014, 10:18:18 PM
i have to say,
homie, doc and herman, to fish in such high levels you guys must have yellows in your veins. :resp:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on January 14, 2014, 08:33:44 PM
Bassbug, there are certain venues that can be fished at higher flows.
For Example:
Erina, up to 80 tons
Eastco. 80 tons
Eendekui; 80 tons
Silverstrome. 80 tons
Venue I. 1000 tons.

The trick is to know the lie of the land in flows of 20 - 40 tons, especially the banks and little side channels, as well of course the normal flow underwater topography. This only comes with observation and visiting different venues in different flow conditions, which takes time.

The learning is a steep curve, involving many hair raising drifts down fast rapids, bumping your but against every rock in the way. :shk

BUT it's worth it. :nuts: :hnthnt: :happ: :sreel:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: bassbug on January 15, 2014, 08:24:58 AM
thanks Herman, was always under the impression that anything over 45 tons was unsafe. i will start venturing on higher levels, tiny increments at first. i have always joked with some mates, on high flow levels, one needs an anchor with rope and not a wading stick  :blush:  this will soon change :hehe:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on January 15, 2014, 08:26:58 AM
BB, why not join us at the social at Leeuwkop on Sat 25th ???

Herman, you coming through ???
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: bassbug on January 15, 2014, 08:34:09 AM
BB, why not join us at the social at Leeuwkop on Sat 25th ???

Herman, you coming through ???
thanks homie, if work permits, i'll join the fun
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on January 15, 2014, 09:10:50 PM
BB, why not join us at the social at Leeuwkop on Sat 25th ???

Herman, you coming through ???

Duhhh, read the participants list on the social thread.  (bat :nuts: :crzy

I'm taking the 9# and plattie flies just in case the barbell want to play  :hnthnt:

Also bringing the charcoal.  w;k
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on January 20, 2014, 02:23:46 PM
Met Doc at Grasmere at 6 yesterday morning, and after a quick coffee we hit the road to Erina. Weather was gloomy and about 20kms before the offramp, it came down cats and dogs !

We got to Erina and found Herman waiting for us and after setting up we hit the water with a slight drizzle coming down.
Now for those that now Erina, there were a few papgoiiers around, but one guy had taken his entire kit and set up on the 1st island ! Quite a sight to see a tent up there.... and with the Vaal dam being 99.8% full and the barrage also quiet full, I'm not sure how clever this was !

not even 5 mins in the water and Herman goes on
(https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/t31/57417_10151828117116567_833665265_o.jpg)
(https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t31/1559417_10151828117121567_508584641_o.jpg)
(https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/1557380_10151828116951567_1320960498_o.jpg)

I hadnt even put the camera away and I went vas !

(https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t31/1597972_10151828116706567_334347030_o.jpg)
(https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1497889_10151828116551567_1230210287_o.jpg)

After a while myself and Herman hit the second run and I got another here, and Herman got a muddie

(https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/1614612_10151828116591567_440828702_o.jpg)
(https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/1559333_10151828116451567_1670810957_o.jpg)

we went up to the low level bridge and Doc got a few here.

(https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/t31/1495315_10151828116141567_1903197292_o.jpg)
(https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/t31/1486064_10151828116076567_302733400_o.jpg)

On the way out, we fished the 1st run again , and it awesome fun ! I got 7 here in a short time !

(https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/10760_10151828115706567_1439099988_n.jpg)
(https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1523395_10151828115731567_1942092689_o.jpg)

The weather had cleared nicely and it was a great day out ! My tally for the day was 9 yellows  :yipee:

Thanks to Doc and Herman for a great day out !
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: doc on January 20, 2014, 03:38:59 PM
Thanks Homes for the great report and tip on the brassie!



I stayed on to fish the afternoon as well armed with one red brassie. Nailed the small yellows in the first run where Homes schooled me in the morning. After about 10 of the small ones I moved up to the second run just above the rapid connecting the first run and caught 5 yellows in the 1kg range before moving up to the low water bridge in search of a carp.


The first drift a decent fish nailed the fly and before I knew what was happening it was through the low water bridge and on the barrage side. I followed it underneath the bridge and was about halve way when the line just went slack I got cut of and lost the brassie. Struggling back out the tunnel I almost lost my phone as I did my Camera in the morning session. I tied on a San Juan and fished the rapid again caught 3 nice muddies all  in the 1.5kg range and between 8 and 10 yellows all on the San Juan ranging from 100g to 1kg.


The weather turn ominous with the rumble of thunder in the background. When I got back to the first rapid the weather blew past and I decided to have one last cast. The small yellows were just as willing to take the San Juan as they did the brassie. The last cast lasted another hour or so of great fun with another 10 or so yellows. Left the water at 17:00.


Thanks Herman and Homes for a great day on the vaal.


PS. no photos due to camera being somewhere between the barrage and Parys and phones media card buggered due to water damage.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on January 20, 2014, 06:51:35 PM
Thanks to Doc and Holmes for a great morning out. Sorry I had to leave so early.
I still need to transfer the pics from the camera to the phone.
I will post them once I have.
In 3 hours I managed to yellows and 2 muddies, one of which was around the 2kg mark in the third run.
Spent nearly 40 minutes by the low level bridge trying to entice a carp, but to no avail. :-(
Still a great morning out. w;k
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on January 22, 2014, 09:29:38 PM
I have only just checked what the Barrage release was last Sunday and see it was 30 tons.

Doc and I felt they were a bit low after fishing the venue at 60 odd tons.  :dunno:

After 7 years of fishing this venue in flows from 15 tons to 80 tons ( Over 80 you will be picked up in Bloemhof Dam  :shk ), I think that the perfect fishing flows are between 40 and 50 tons.

However , fishing this venue at higher flows is NOT for a newbie. :shk

The first run that you have to cross can be tricky and you may end up drifting  :blush: into the pool below.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: doc on January 27, 2014, 09:48:45 AM
Fished Erina yesterday. A bit of a late start due to the social Saturday. Started fishing about 10:30 and was into the fish early at the first run. Caught 5 small yellows and decided to move on to the second run.


Caught a few nice ones in the 0.5kg to 1 kg range. Moved up to the top of the rapids at the bridge which was a bit more challenging than last week to get you footing. At 55 tons there where no rocks visible at the rapid also did not see any muddies like last week.


First drift I got hammered by a nice yellow which snagged me up and broke off on the tree at the begging of the rapid that connects the second run to the first. Very annoyed I made my way back to the top again. Caught a small yellow which I netted and released. In this process I must not have snapped the net into place solidly but more about that a bit later.  After another few drifts my fly got hammered again ripping the fly line out my hand while I was standing admiring a heron landing next to me. The fish at first fought just around me in the slower water against the bridge but then decided to head to Parys. After some stumbling and falling I managed to catch up with the fish right at the bottom of the first run. i finally got the fish close and when I went for my net realised I lost it somewhere in the chaos of chasing the fish.


Both me and the fish was tired at this stage and I managed to hand land the fish. as I was right next to the bank I quickly took a picture and let the fish swim off slowly. I estimate the fish in the 1.5 to 2kg range (see photo). I got out and had lunch while waiting for Kallie.


The afternoon session was slow with a few small ones again in the nursery. After moving up to the top of the runs. Kallie got 3 nice fish at the top and I got 1 nice one that kallie took a picture off. I then got a beast which took me down the second run. Finally landed the fish at the point of the second island unfortunately did not get a photo as holding the fish in one hand and fumbling to get the cellphone out the fish wiggled its way free. This was a really big fish I estimate 2.5 to 3kg.


All and all a lekker day on the vaal. Good to see that there is a lot a big yellows back at Erina.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on January 27, 2014, 09:57:48 AM
Thanks for a lekker Arvies fishing Higgins . Will post you pic later today.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on February 02, 2014, 03:57:43 PM
Rory, Doc and I fished Vischgat this morning, as was organised at last weeks social.

Serioooouuuusss Straf dops for Etienne and Pieter  (bat (batwho were all gung ho for the day and never pitched. :-( Especially Pieter who has not answered his phone since last Saterday  :unhap (bat (bat

We all got there just after 06:00  with no rain, even though the road was quite fun getting there.

Rigged up and were fishing before 7. As always Doc was first on with a muddie.
I was stumbling my way to get past the first island when Rory comes hurtling across the second island towards me  :cnfzd.
What the hell I thought has he done now.  :dunno: Anyway once he got to me I saw what it was all about , a new species for Rory and a brilliant catch on fly. :happ:
I understand that Rory is going to post a separate thread about this fish.

We were still talking when Doc ( cormorant ) was into a good fish which ran him hither and thither, first upstream, then downstream, then upstream again. Once up to the top we realised it was a good sized yellow in perfect condition ( pic below ).

The fishing then went very quiet, and we tried every where. The clouds started building up again so we started heading back to the bank.

Rory then landed a very nice muddie which nearly bent his 4# in half.

Doc and I then went to have a look at a few pools and had some interesting fun with fish you don't normally get to catch in the main river. :clwn

Then the thunder rolled over and it started raining lightly so we called it a good morning out.

Thanks to Rory and Doc for a great morning. :corrct: :corrct:

Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: isivuba on February 02, 2014, 05:20:49 PM
Herman looks like fun.
Just one question what would someone look at to start fishing like this (basic beginner tackle stuff) :dunno:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on February 02, 2014, 07:28:07 PM
Thanks Martin and Herman for a good mornings session. Couldn't believe the water temp measured at 19 deg for that venue, its usually a lot colder. Due to me misplacing my #5 flyreel I was fishing my #4 setup which is about as light as you should fish the Vaal. Given the lighter setup, I decided to czech nymph for a change, awesome sensitivity on the #4! So onto my catch of the day, being able to cover fairly thin water, I picked up a "klip barber" I have no idea what the correct english name is. I've seen these little fellows being caught regularly by conventional fisherman, but never seen one taken on the fly before. Lol, I wasn't sure to place the pic here or in the Micro fishing thread!!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Williaby on February 02, 2014, 10:02:59 PM
In this case it is the most obvious translation i.e. Rock Catfish  w;k

Very fine catch to make at all, never mind on fly. These little guys are listed as endangered on the IUCN Red List:

http://www.arkive.org/barnards-rock-catfish/austroglanis-barnardi/ (http://www.arkive.org/barnards-rock-catfish/austroglanis-barnardi/)

Congrats Rory! See Czech nymphing rocks....
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on February 03, 2014, 06:45:56 PM
Herman looks like fun.
Just one question what would someone look at to start fishing like this (basic beginner tackle stuff) :dunno:

Before you even think of buying any tackle, I would like to invite you to join us on one of our yellow Vaal trips. I have a spare rod and reel, so why not come with and see if you enjoy it ?

If you do, there are a number of "Start up " rigs available where you get rod and reel, line and backing for around R 600. I used one of these start rigs for 2 years on the Vaal before I upgraded to better kit.

Anyway, the invitation stands, and that is for anyone thinking of trying our crazy facet out.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on February 17, 2014, 07:21:51 PM
After all the usual suspects would not either answer their phones ( ignoring me I suppose )  :blush: or were fishing elsewhere and last minute cancellations by Mike and Jaco I fished Erina yesterday on my lonesome. It was actually quite nice to have the whole venue to myself for a change. :hehe:

I fished all 3 runs as well as below the old bridge and managed 6 small yellows ( largest around 750 grams ) 2 better sized muddies, around 1 kg in the third run and a Carp of around 1.5kg below the old bridge.
Not bad for a quick 4 hour trip. w;k

Sorry no pics but there was really nothing worthwhile taking a pic of. :blush:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on February 17, 2014, 07:40:37 PM
Really wish I could've joined Herman..... Still want a carp !
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: diamonddogs on February 24, 2014, 09:51:00 AM
Spent the week-end at Mountain View Country Estate in Parys.
Fishing was a bit tough after a huge storm Friday afternoon that turned the river chocolate brown.
We noticed the river rising whilst we were fishing and later saw on the dwaf website that the river picked up about 10cum/s in the afternoon.

We still managed to land our fair share of fish with most fish taken on green brassies / gold brassies, Disco Midge and Mustartd Caddis.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on February 24, 2014, 09:52:49 AM
Nice Yellow that Mr. Dog  :cgrts:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on February 24, 2014, 11:06:37 AM
Great fish and lovely pics as well !

Man i need to hit the vaal soon !
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on February 24, 2014, 06:20:03 PM
Nice fish Mario and great pic.
How was the Mountain View Lodge ito accommodation and prices ?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on February 24, 2014, 06:33:52 PM
I fished Erina again yesterday morning. Got there early 05:45 and was on the water by 06:30.
The fishing was ok, I managed around 9 sm and 2 muddies but alas no Carp.
Most of the fish came out of the 2nd run, with the muddies in the 3rd run.
One of the yellows had a weird injury on it's back, possibly a wound from a barbell attack ? See pick below.

I was then joined by some fellow fly fishers, who did not do too badly at all, with the one landing a 5kg Carp, that ran him ragged, and then his fiancé got her 2nd yellow ever.

With the weather turning ominous I was out of there by 11:30.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: E.T. on February 25, 2014, 09:05:20 AM
I was also out on the Vaal this weekend. First time in 3 years.
I wanted to test the Modified 13ft Tenkara. It worked, but it was a bit on the heavy side. I now want to build a lighter model. Now I did foul hook the two Yellows and I am not proud of that, but it gave me some satisfaction by landing them on 6lb Tippet.
Total length of line attached to the tip of rod/ Lillian was plus minus 18-19ft.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYIbnez2W8o&feature=youtu.be (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYIbnez2W8o&feature=youtu.be)


Sorry for the poor quality, I am still figuring out the conversions to upload to Youtube.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on February 25, 2014, 09:08:57 AM
Lekker Koos !

Thats some great fish !!!!

Eastco ?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: E.T. on February 25, 2014, 09:10:22 AM
Lekker Koos !

Thats some great fish !!!!

Eastco ?


Nope, Bothaville area.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: diamonddogs on February 25, 2014, 10:11:44 AM
Nice fish Mario and great pic.
How was the Mountain View Lodge ito accommodation and prices ?

Can you hear the banjo's playing.....
R450-00 a night self catering for 2 people. 2 Single beds in one room.
The place has access to fantastic water but as they do not allow day visitors I think very few people will fish here.
In my opinion, for what you get,  R450-00 a night is R300-00 too much.
The place is situated a stones throw below Smilin Thru.

All in all - fantastic water that I probably fished for the last time.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on February 25, 2014, 12:59:28 PM
Has anyone fished stonehenge in parys before? I am there on Friday
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on February 25, 2014, 08:42:41 PM
Nice fish Mario and great pic.
How was the Mountain View Lodge ito accommodation and prices ?

Can you hear the banjo's playing.....
R450-00 a night self catering for 2 people. 2 Single beds in one room.
The place has access to fantastic water but as they do not allow day visitors I think very few people will fish here.
In my opinion, for what you get,  R450-00 a night is R300-00 too much.
The place is situated a stones throw below Smilin Thru.

All in all - fantastic water that I probably fished for the last time.

Eeeiissshhh, that sounds like the accommodation is not worthy of taking your gillie with , let alone SWAMBO :shk.

Would the water be accessible from Smiling Thru via an Ark ? w;k
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on February 25, 2014, 08:50:50 PM
Has anyone fished stonehenge in parys before? I am there on Friday

Mr. ICStuff. You have stayed " ICOGNITO " for 3 weeks, not answering your phone, ignoring messages, and when finally in contact, you are too busy  :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

How on earth can a teacher be too busy  :dunno: :dunno:

Now you are visiting the river without a word . :unhap

Is this your way of "breaking up"  :cry: :cry:

 :hehe: :hehe: :crzy :crzy
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on February 25, 2014, 08:54:58 PM
I was also out on the Vaal this weekend. First time in 3 years.
I wanted to test the Modified 13ft Tenkara. It worked, but it was a bit on the heavy side. I now want to build a lighter model. Now I did foul hook the two Yellows and I am not proud of that, but it gave me some satisfaction by landing them on 6lb Tippet.
Total length of line attached to the tip of rod/ Lillian was plus minus 18-19ft.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYIbnez2W8o&feature=youtu.be (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYIbnez2W8o&feature=youtu.be)


Sorry for the poor quality, I am still figuring out the conversions to upload to Youtube.

Great going Koos. :happ:

You must still show me how this whole Tenkara thing works on the river. :dunno: I'm curious. Make a date boet. :clwn
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on February 25, 2014, 11:22:51 PM
Has anyone fished stonehenge in parys before? I am there on Friday

Mr. ICStuff. You have stayed " ICOGNITO " for 3 weeks, not answering your phone, ignoring messages, and when finally in contact, you are too busy  :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

How on earth can a teacher be too busy  :dunno: :dunno:

Now you are visiting the river without a word . :unhap

Is this your way of "breaking up"  :cry: :cry:

 :hehe: :hehe: :crzy :crzy

Herman we can work this out with some counseling!
I have a function there on Friday and wanted to spend the rest of the day on the river.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on March 03, 2014, 08:29:40 PM
Doc, ICStuff, Ettienne, Frederick, Dion and I fished Eendekuil on Sunday. I did not check the flows or water temp , but I guestimate the flows at around 50 and falling, guess at the temp around 23 deg. The water was very discoloured after the latest releases from the Vaal dam and Barrage, almost the same colour as below the dam wall.

Although the fishing was slow nobody blanked, I think everyone got at least 2 yellows, but all juveniles though. If I remember correctly Marthin got the biggest of around 1 - 1.6kg. Not a single muddie came out.

We met a newbie who was camping and joined us for the after fishing braai. I seriously hope he joins Ultimate. Seems like a good dude.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Dion Gates on March 03, 2014, 10:44:42 PM
Hi Herman


Looks like we doing Eendekuil again this weekend, ive got a score to settle with the beast that smoked me in the top section there, so i convinced my comapnions to rather hit Eendekuil than Nebo.


CLEVA w;k


Are you joining us???? :beer:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on March 04, 2014, 05:46:51 PM
Herman where is that pic of my "catch" hehe!

Was fun fishing with you guys again!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: doc on March 05, 2014, 01:35:24 PM
Just be careful guys see Barrage flow sitting at 180 and discharge from Vaal dam at 300
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Dion Gates on March 05, 2014, 01:45:09 PM
thanx Doc :udman:


Ja its pumping at the moment


Probably gonna give it a pass


Damn this rain is causing HAVOC!!!! :-(


What to do!!!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on March 05, 2014, 01:59:40 PM
Its gonna get heavier !!!
Harties has all gates open as well
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on March 05, 2014, 02:16:33 PM
Bugger , shyte ,!!!
 
I have booked a chalet at Eastco for the weekend !!!!
 
 
lots of  :beer: :yipee: :2m: :frid :geet  and no  :fshn:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: E.T. on March 05, 2014, 03:41:03 PM
I was also out on the Vaal this weekend. First time in 3 years.
I wanted to test the Modified 13ft Tenkara. It worked, but it was a bit on the heavy side. I now want to build a lighter model. Now I did foul hook the two Yellows and I am not proud of that, but it gave me some satisfaction by landing them on 6lb Tippet.
Total length of line attached to the tip of rod/ Lillian was plus minus 18-19ft.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYIbnez2W8o&feature=youtu.be (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYIbnez2W8o&feature=youtu.be)


Sorry for the poor quality, I am still figuring out the conversions to upload to Youtube.

Great going Koos. :happ:

You must still show me how this whole Tenkara thing works on the river. :dunno: I'm curious. Make a date boet. :clwn


Oom Harry the Tenkara does provide some sport on the Vaal. Its not everyones cup of Tea, but neither is driving a Black BMW or being married to an ugly chick.

The lighter model should be a lot more fun. Would love to get that built and have a bash on the water with it. Will wrap it up and ask to tag along on one of your outings and see what happens if I fish a 4lb tippet.

The Tenkara on a Smallstream is really something special. You need to see it to believe it.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Dion Gates on March 06, 2014, 07:38:57 AM
Agreeeeeeed!!!  :unhap :unhap :unhap :unhap


Its flowing at 412 at the moment.


Made a call to Eendekuil this morning to confirm and all of the islands etc is under water.


Think im heading to SOV to see if we can get some barbel! :fshn: :corrct:


Enjoy manne
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on March 09, 2014, 06:03:21 PM
So after all the usual reprobates did not answer their phones ( must be this Birthday Bash thing at Maphelane  :dunno: ) and Bryan and Dion doing a last second trip to Sterkies, and Pietertjie banned from fishing high flows, I took on the Italians today.

On arrival the flows were around 650 to 680. I soon sussed out where to fish and got a nice moggel, in the mouth  w;k.

Then they opened a 5th sluice and I had to rush back to move the car, as it was about hub deep in 20 minutes.

Of course the fishing areas had now changed so I picked my possie amongst the trees and got a small muddie and a decent yellow. :-).

At around 10:30 the thunder rolled in, and I got to the car just in time to change into dry clothes, and strip the rig, albeit under the back flap door. :blush:

What a great day in very varying and challenging conditions.  :hnthnt: :hnthnt:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on March 10, 2014, 08:34:56 AM
Stayed at Eastco for the weekend  :wndy . Flows were between 550 and PLENTY !!!! :shk :unhap . Did not even unpack the fishing gear  :rain: . Spend most of the weekend in Parys sampling Craft beer  :beer: , visiting art galleries   :vio and eating like a king  :yipee: . Lovely little town  :rck" :geet .
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Dion Gates on March 10, 2014, 09:34:23 AM
Good Going There Herman!!!!


This is why you have earned the nickname( THE HERMANATOR) :rck" :envy


Aint no fish around in any conditions you cant get a Fly to


Well done Mate!!!!!!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory mundy on March 10, 2014, 09:44:24 AM
5 sluices open and river is still rising
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on March 24, 2014, 08:27:03 PM
I fished the Italians again on Saturday morning. Driving over the bridge there were no sluices open but quite a few river valves, ( getting rid of the sediment ? ).
I would guess  the flow to have been between 140 - 160 tons. ( Reservoir have not updated their site, hence the guess. )
I decided to try something new for me, so tied on a single small bait fish pattern ( # 8 or 10 ), the weight coming from the dum bell eyes.
After carefully wading to a  decent spot where I was standing in dead water I threw out my first " swing ". Got it wrong as the fly connected with the submerged grass too quickly. ( P.S. Weed guards are a must in these conditions  w;k ).
My 3rd swing and bang, fish on. :fshn: The fish tried for the very fast open water about 5 meters away, but I managed to turn him and land it within 5 minutes . A nice fish above 2 kg.
5 casts later my second of around 1.5 kg.
Then I got hooked on a rock and had to wade in to free the ONLY fly I had in that pattern.
Then decided to work the fast water from a safe distance to but no avail, waded up and across and then down to my original spot, and lo and behold got a 3rd SM, of around 500 grams. Was weird seeing this huge bait fish pattern sticking out of it's mouth with the hook sitting perfectly in the scissors.
At around 10 am I lost the fly , with almost all my leader on a viscous take and decided that 3 in 2.5 hours and no more of the fly in question in my box, it was time to quit whilst ahead. :clwn
Somehow, I'm enjoying the high flows, makes you think out of the box.

There again, I can't wait for winter as I have a few tricks up my sleeve for then as well. w;k
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on March 24, 2014, 09:23:37 PM
Lekker Herman!  :udman:
Cant wait for winter
 
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on March 25, 2014, 08:35:32 PM
Lekker Herman!  :udman:
Cant wait for winter

Thanks Pieter.

Please remember that fishing only happens when you deign to answer your phone or reply to messages.

Eeeeeiiissshhh :dunno:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on March 27, 2014, 08:48:19 AM
Flow looking a lot better .
 
 
Herman see you on the Vaal on Sunday  :fshn: :beer:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Dion Gates on March 27, 2014, 02:55:51 PM
Where are u guys fishing this sunday?



Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on March 27, 2014, 03:07:18 PM
Where are u guys fishing this sunday?

I dont know but I am also going. If only Herman would phone me once in a while...  :craz:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on March 27, 2014, 03:47:27 PM
   How about the spot with the building rubble and low level bridge just skeef past that town in the Vuil 3hoek ?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on March 27, 2014, 07:27:46 PM
   How about the spot with the building rubble and low level bridge just skeef past that town in the Vuil 3hoek ?

Good suggestion, as long as the flows remain below 60.
If over 60, but below 80 we can try Eastco, Eendekuil or Woelwaters.
Over 80 it's the Italians.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on March 27, 2014, 07:49:36 PM
Ok see you gents on sunday
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on March 28, 2014, 05:33:14 PM
Guys, Goosebay is still at 70,  :unhap

Final call as to venue will be SMS'd tomorrow afternoon.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on March 29, 2014, 01:42:14 PM
Hi all, irrespective of flows I am not going to make it tomorrow  :cry:

For those that do go, be carefull out there.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Fishy on March 31, 2014, 01:30:15 PM
Gents,

Where is this "Italians" you are referring to? Is it a private venue?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Fishy on March 31, 2014, 01:38:09 PM
As well as "Erina"
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on March 31, 2014, 02:05:55 PM
Fish a Arvie session at the Building rubble/low level bridge yesterday . Flows were okay , but fishing slow with Muddies in the 15cm length being the order of the day. Arrived at 11:30 fished up run 1 down run 2 and up run 3 . Then skeef over run 2 back to the start in 3hours landed 4 Minnow muddies and a smallish Cat at the first inlet on the low level bridge .
 
 
A Kuk days fishing but still great fun .  w;k
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on March 31, 2014, 07:13:20 PM
Fish a Arvie session at the Building rubble/low level bridge yesterday . Flows were okay , but fishing slow with Muddies in the 15cm length being the order of the day. Arrived at 11:30 fished up run 1 down run 2 and up run 3 . Then skeef over run 2 back to the start in 3hours landed 4 Minnow muddies and a smallish Cat at the first inlet on the low level bridge .

Well done Kallie. :corrct:
I have always maintained that fishing on falling flows is the most difficult. My theory being that the fish are nervous about being left " high and dry " in small pools and crevices ( which I have personally witnessed when they closed 3 sluices in 30 minutes at the Vaal Dam :unhap ), as they don't know how far the water is going to drop, so they try and head for deeper water and don't really concentrate on feeding.
 
 
A Kuk days fishing but still great fun .  w;k

The truth Sir, the Truth well spoken.  :corrct: :corrct:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on March 31, 2014, 07:28:42 PM
Gents,

Where is this "Italians" you are referring to? Is it a private venue?

Hello Fishy,

Both the Italians and Erina are public venues. I do not know the Italians real name, ( have always known it as the Italians ). Erina ( Spa ) is a well known broken down resort below the Barrage.

Neither of these venues can take more than 6 f/f on the water, which is why we try to keep them out of view as such.
A lot of f/f are VERY wary of the Italians, especially in high flows ( over 20 tons ) because the wading is REALLY difficult, even in normal flows.
If you loose it here in the wrong spot in high flows, they will pick up your body in Loch Vaal. :shk

I am always open to take someone to a new venue for them. Drop me a PM with your cell no and we can talk further. w;k
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on April 07, 2014, 07:20:32 PM
I fished Yellow Fish Paradise ( YFP ) on Saturday . The air temp on arrival at 06:30 was 7 deg. After inflating the boat and getting rigged up I launched at 07:30 ish. Air temp had risen to 12 and the water temp was 19 deg.
Flows were around 55 tons, ( which made rowing upstream and pulling the boat through the first reef fun  :clwn), however there was plenty of sediment in the water, it was as brown as the Vaal Dam, if not worse  :unhap. Visibilaty was a maximum of 20 cm. :-(
I anchored at the second reef and then fished down on the far bank.
After changing to the trusted black nymph I got lucky and landed a 2kg SM,( in excellent condition and colour ) and then a 1.5 kg muddie.  w;k.
That was it for the day.
I really hope the flows settle quickly and that the clarity starts improving.
The season is changing fast, so we have to change our tactics and approach.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: UrbanFF on April 08, 2014, 12:00:43 PM
Gents,

Where is this "Italians" you are referring to? Is it a private venue?

Hello Fishy,

Both the Italians and Erina are public venues. I do not know the Italians real name, ( have always known it as the Italians ). Erina ( Spa ) is a well known broken down resort below the Barrage.

Neither of these venues can take more than 6 f/f on the water, which is why we try to keep them out of view as such.
A lot of f/f are VERY wary of the Italians, especially in high flows ( over 20 tons ) because the wading is REALLY difficult, even in normal flows.
If you loose it here in the wrong spot in high flows, they will pick up your body in Loch Vaal. :shk

I am always open to take someone to a new venue for them. Drop me a PM with your cell no and we can talk further. w;k
ITALIANS AKA Rapids Paradise
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on April 14, 2014, 07:47:58 PM
I took another trip to YFP on Sunday ( which in hind sight was stupid, considering the cold front that came through on Saturday night. :nuts: )
Again air temp was 7 deg and water temp 18.5, which shows the water temp is dropping by the week. Flows were 15 ( according to Reservoir ). This gave me the opportunity to notice a lot of rocks and sub reefs, not normally seen when the flows are over 25 as per normal. Visibility was improved at around 30 cms, compared to last weeks 15 cms.
I threw lots of different flies at lots of different places. Eventually foul hooked a muddie on a black nymph.
There were 2 young bait boys on plastic canoes who sussed out a nice spot. 3 SM caught in 30 minutes all around the 2kg range on crab, then a good Carp of around 8 kg on earthworm. After the carp, even their rods went quiet, causing them to move around as much as I had :unhap
Another great learning day on the Vaal. :clwn
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on April 21, 2014, 11:35:56 AM
Martin ( Doc ) and I fished Erina yesterday morning, probably for Oulaas, seeing that we are fast heading into winter. Pieter ( strafdop ) ICStuff was a no show :unhap. (In fact Pieter now has so many strafdops coming his way, that the next time he does go out, he shouldn't even bother with gear, as he will be spending the whole day sitting and dealing with his strafdops :crzy  (bat (bat ).

According to reservoir, the flows were 30 with water temp 17.8 deg @ 7 o clock.( 18 deg is normally viewed as the turning point for summer/winter tactics.)
Visibily was 20 - 30 cms which was not too bad.

Did not take too long before Doc was into a feisty yellow that ran him around a bit. Guestimate was 1 - 1.5 kg.

All in all the fishing was better than I expected with Doc getting 8 or 9 fish, the majority of which were SM. I managed 2 SM, 3 muddies and a carp ( which I did not land ).

Flies that worked were again anything with red in it, and for Doc a black nymph as well.

Another great morning on the Vaal, with excellent company.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: doc on April 22, 2014, 09:54:11 AM
As Hermann said a very lekker morning on the vaal. Erina has changed a bit since we fished it last before the major floods. The connecting channel between the second run and the first run is much wider and at the top there are a few new gravel islands almost were you are standing ankle deep and the water around is about hip deep.


The flies that worked was small red brassies san juan's and tiny black nymphs. I landed 6 yellows all between 1 and 1.5kg and a tiny bass. Lost 3 descent carp the last one spitting the hook in the jump awesome and sad to see at the same time.


Thanks Hermann enjoyed the day as always.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on April 22, 2014, 10:16:32 AM
Well done Chaps  (clap)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on August 17, 2014, 12:46:35 PM
Me and Herman fished Erina this morning. Water temp was 13.5 when we entered the water with almost no wind and the sun rising over our backs. I was rewarded with a nice fat muddy on my trusty black nymph. Herman had to land the thing for me as I forgot my net. I hooked two more muddies, I could land one as not falling was more important and the other bigger then the second as herman was too far away.

So as per usual I have opened the vaal summer season for the rest of you chaps, pic of the fish.
(http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i406/icstuff/photo001_zpscc6a760f.jpg)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on August 18, 2014, 10:20:45 AM
Nice going Pieter! Eish 13.5....not going to be fun wet wading! :craz:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on August 18, 2014, 10:25:15 AM
Lekker fish !!!

and a nice pic to wake up to yesterday morning !!!!!


Tjop !
:hehe:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on August 18, 2014, 10:31:35 AM
Nice going Pieter! Eish 13.5....not going to be fun wet wading! :craz:

What the pic is not showing is me in wearing many layers under those waders. But the water was warmer that the air temperature so it was not bad at all.

@holmes the coffee was just brilliant
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Dion Gates on August 18, 2014, 10:42:05 AM
Nice Fish Pieter!!!


At least you've opened your season!  (clap)


Hope it keeps going like that :fshn:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on August 18, 2014, 10:48:26 AM
Nice fish Pietertjie  :wtr:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on August 18, 2014, 11:03:42 AM
What we noticed is that all these fish are nice and fat, just waiting for the spawn. And with the rain over the weekend it cant be to far into the future.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on August 19, 2014, 08:23:31 AM
Next trip is to the vaal for some yellows we should make a plan to hook up guys!!! :dunno:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on August 19, 2014, 08:37:04 AM
Next trip is to the vaal for some yellows we should make a plan to hook up guys!!! :dunno:


Agreed - I'm itching to get fishing!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on August 19, 2014, 08:58:08 AM
Rory if you are itching from fishing I recommend that you go and see a doctor...
It is still too cold for mind blowing fishing, but it will be a nice day out.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on August 19, 2014, 09:28:21 AM
Rory if you are itching from fishing I recommend that you go and see a doctor...
It is still too cold for mind blowing fishing, but it will be a nice day out.




 :nuts: :wtr:



Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on August 22, 2014, 08:36:26 AM
Should we go today  :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :nuts:  This weather is awesome!!! What is this "trusty black nymph" that you talk about, is it a flash back and what size is recommended? :dunno:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on August 22, 2014, 09:09:12 AM
This is what you want just blacker size 18 -12 , team up with a weighted fly red humpty or a copper john
(http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mGNCvUN8h6wKBBRR1XfZqrA.jpg)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on August 22, 2014, 09:09:52 AM
not sure fishing will be fun with the weather this weekend
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on August 22, 2014, 09:16:02 AM
Aaaaah I see, what about little hot spots?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on August 22, 2014, 09:36:50 AM
Aaaaah I see, what about little hot spots?

Whatever works for you  :crzy
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on September 11, 2014, 08:41:53 PM
I'm fishing :fshn: Oord Nebo on Sunday.  :-)

Anyone keen to join me, :dunno:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on September 11, 2014, 08:52:27 PM
Apologies for the late report chasps....I know this session was reported on on the other thread but lets get the old Vaal Update thread ticking over. The usual gang of reprobates fished at Strome this Sunday for a little pre season "rust removal". Currently the river is very low and the slower sections are full of rotting vegetation/sludge/detritus which will be with us till the first good rains flush the river. As Herman reported he measured the water temp at 13 deg to start and we finished up at 14.5 deg. The accepted theory is that the yellows will be more active at the magical 18deg but we've had good early season sessions at lower than that in previous seasons anyways. There was a constant caddis hatch from when we got onto the river until we got off, nothing wow or massive, they were just there the whole session. Small goggas. The fish are there and they feeding, Martin and myself found pods of them in the deeper sections, always in the slower water right on the edge/seam of the faster current. Get your flies down and concentrate on your drift and you'll connect with fish. Theres been a lot of coverage in various media about the pollution in the Vaal of late, so if you are going to wade without waders make sure you have a good scrub when you get home.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on September 11, 2014, 08:53:32 PM
I'm fishing :fshn: Oord Nebo on Sunday.  :-)

Anyone keen to join me, :dunno:


Eish not this weekend Herman, lets make a plan for the weekend after?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on September 12, 2014, 07:13:15 AM
I'm fishing :fshn: Oord Nebo on Sunday.  :-)

Anyone keen to join me, :dunno:


Eish not this weekend Herman, lets make a plan for the weekend after?
Next weekend ? Of course YES  duh  The season is now in full swing  :fshn: :frid :geet :vio
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on September 12, 2014, 07:52:22 AM
I'm fishing :fshn: Oord Nebo on Sunday.  :-)

Anyone keen to join me, :dunno:


Eish not this weekend Herman, lets make a plan for the weekend after?
Next weekend ? Of course YES  duh  The season is now in full swing  :fshn: :frid :geet :vio

If you are going to nebo next week, I will make an effort to join.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on September 12, 2014, 08:39:51 AM
man I really need to go fish.... but cant in the next 2 weekends.....
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on September 12, 2014, 09:17:28 AM
If you are going to nebo next week, I will make an effort to join.


As lekker as Nebo is, its a bit of a pull just for one day. Lets fish somewhere closer?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Ettienne on September 12, 2014, 10:47:24 AM
VT? :hnthnt:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on September 12, 2014, 10:58:48 AM
Anybody Man enough for the Elgro Drift ?????? Give me a shout .
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on September 12, 2014, 02:10:34 PM
VT? :hnthnt:


See you there Oupie  :yipee:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on September 14, 2014, 06:24:06 PM
Firstly where the feck is VT  :dunno: :dunno:

Doc and I took the road to Nebo today. We got on the water around 7:30 ish. Water temp was 17 - 18. Doc thought I hadn't left the thermo in the water long enough,  as the air temp was already 23.

WE crossed over to the reeds on the opposite bank and worked our way up river. After changing very many flies, and a leader or 2 I finally hooked and landed a SM of around 700 grms. Before that Doc was clapping the fish, but I will let him report back with the pics noggal. (clap)

A wonderful day on the Vaal. I hooked 3 and landed 1, Doc hooked 8  and landed 3. :blush: :blush:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on September 14, 2014, 06:27:55 PM
Yes!!! Thats the news I was looking for!!! Nice one guys  (clap)  What fly's were working :dunno:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: doc on September 15, 2014, 11:16:26 AM
Thanks for a great day Hermann. I had a lot of fish take the Orange hotspot early in the day the first 5 fish all had me palming the spool to try and stop them and having the hooks pull.


I had revert to a green emerger with a orange head after donating a few hotspots to the trees and reeds. Landed a Muddie of about 1.5kg and a Yellow of 1.8kg on it and landed a smaller yellow in the 1kg range on a brown flashback.


The green algae was a pest and you had to clean your flies about every second to third drift.


Hermann took a few great action shots.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on September 15, 2014, 11:51:21 AM
 :envy  Nice report back guys! Where we fishing this Sunday? :hnthnt:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on September 15, 2014, 12:47:58 PM
:envy  Nice report back guys! Where we fishing this Sunday? :hnthnt:
Depending on numbers, either Erina or oom Koos , Woelwaters or Strome. Maybe even the lockup  :craz: :nuts:  from the other side ?  :dunno:
 
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on September 15, 2014, 02:36:49 PM
Nice fish guys, myself and sean are going to silverstroom on Wednesday.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on September 18, 2014, 07:17:09 AM
Chaps,
We have beige buffs available. ..
http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=18246.msg311556#msg311556 (http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=18246.msg311556#msg311556)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on September 18, 2014, 09:01:24 AM
So we departed joburg at around 10:00, short trip and we were on the water. It was a bit of a slow start, I landed a nice muddy on a San Juan worm.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on September 18, 2014, 09:07:58 AM
After that I moved on to a shallow tributary with carp all over the place so I shortened the distance of my trike indicator and slowly crept up to the fish, dropped my fly down and I was on :fshn:  After a long run and a hard fight I landed a nice 3.5kg carp on one of my hand tied flys, not sure what it called  :dunno:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: WalkersKiller on September 18, 2014, 09:09:38 AM
Awesome Gav, Carp on fly! Sooooo jealous!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on September 18, 2014, 09:12:00 AM
Then we headed to deeper water and drifted some nymphs which proved successful and I landed a nice yellow on a Orange hot spot.   
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on September 18, 2014, 09:16:47 AM
Sean landed 2 nice yellows but no photos. The sun started to go down and the yellows began tailing so I threw my Pheasant tailed Flashback nymph,that I ties previously, and let it drift over the rocks... and I was tight!!! Great fish to end the day!!! 
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on September 18, 2014, 09:17:30 AM
Here is the nymph
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on September 18, 2014, 09:18:54 AM
Hows this for a muddy I hooked... 2.5kgs  :shk
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: WalkersKiller on September 18, 2014, 09:21:31 AM
Awesome Gav! Proper skills there, were these fish on your 4 weight?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Kent on September 18, 2014, 09:23:34 AM
Hows this for a muddy I hooked... 2.5kgs  :shk
:win: :win: :win: :win:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on September 18, 2014, 09:24:10 AM
Thanks WK! Yeah all on my 4wt.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: WalkersKiller on September 18, 2014, 09:28:30 AM
Must have been fun on the 4  :shk
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on September 18, 2014, 09:52:21 AM
Gavin those muddies must have given you quite a decent fight! and congrats with the carp as well.
That photo of the bent rod - I was fishing just a bit lower than that and I hooked a barbel!
 :resp:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on September 18, 2014, 09:56:41 AM
Hahaha how long did that fight last? :hnthnt:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on September 18, 2014, 10:44:04 AM
Yeah Ive had a few take me on a 4wt, doesn't last very long. Would be cool to actually go out and target them on bigger flys and bigger tackle, there are some big boys in that river!!!

 :brbel: 
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on September 18, 2014, 11:32:55 AM
Nice Gavin! Super fish there, very lekker  (clap)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on September 18, 2014, 11:37:30 AM
Lekker fish Gav !!!

TOPICS SPLIT... NO HIJACKING OF THE VAAL THREAD PLEASE
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on September 18, 2014, 12:29:48 PM
Thanks guys sorry about the topic going off course, I suffer from a thing called ADDHDDH DDD  :hehe: :hehe:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on September 19, 2014, 07:11:15 AM
Good morning Chasps.
How about Erina on Sunday. :fshn: , before the rock snot gets too bad. w;k
I will be there around 06:00.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on September 22, 2014, 07:36:19 AM
Rory,Doc and I fished Erina on Sunday. It was overcast with a cool downstream breeze.
Water temp was 15, air temp was 13, visibility30 - 40 cms.
Doc hooked 3,all decent size mudies, + 2kg. Rory 1, and I 2. The snot was not as bad as expected.
Considering the cold front on Sat. not a bad day.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: doc on September 25, 2014, 10:07:38 AM
Fished Erina yesterday with Hermann. Erina was too busy for  my liking and I was forced to fish mostly the bottom of the second run as I  only got on the water by about 9:30. A lot of muddies came out throughout the  day mostly right at the top against the old bridge and at the top of the second  run. The muddies was all about the same size ranging between 1 and 2 kgs.
(http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/MGalleryItem.php?id=2278)
I struggled in the morning hooking 2 decent fish but pulling  the hooks on both. Hermann nailed the muddies one after the other and then just  to show us they were there managed to hook a 1.5kg yellow in the same run.
(http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/MGalleryItem.php?id=2276)
I missed the close up shot.
(http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/MGalleryItem.php?id=2275)
I joined Hermann later at the run where I watched tv as  Hermann kept catching the muddies one after the other. He also then caught the  fish of the day a nice 2kg yellow which gave Hermann’s new rod a good workout.
(http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/MGalleryItem.php?id=2271)
He finally got it in the net very elated.
(http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/MGalleryItem.php?id=2277)
Then we had to really force Hermann to give a smile.
(http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/MGalleryItem.php?id=2272)
(http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/MGalleryItem.php?id=2274)
Finally the fish was released savely
(http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/MGalleryItem.php?id=2273)
Hermann and most of the other guys left shortly after this  but I was determined to at least land one fish before I leave the water. I  adjusted my setup a bit (lengthen my leader about 40cm) after stealing a few  hints from Hermann’s setup. I then started to get the muddies in the run me and  Hermann was fishing mostly on the control fly a green caddis but also on the  point fly a red brassie. After 4 fish I moved up to the bridge to continue  catching the muddies in the slower water against the wall. Just before I left I  did a few drifts in the faster water to be smoked by a yellow that had me under  the bridge a few times and finally cut me off on the edge of the channel under  the wall.
I left about 15:30 exhausted but happy.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on September 25, 2014, 10:14:10 AM
Mooi man mooi
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on September 25, 2014, 02:31:09 PM
Thanks for posting Marthin.
That one hour window was like the old days wth almost everyone on at the same time.
Great morning, and good to see some old faces on the water again.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: E.T. on September 25, 2014, 04:44:09 PM

Nice going Uncle Harry, that Yellow has a TORPEDO head like a Racing Snoek!!!!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on September 25, 2014, 07:47:46 PM
Thanks Koos.

She did run me a merry dance for a while. :-)

Did you notice the fat belly ?. She is getting ready for probably her first spawn. :happ:

The muddies were all about ready to spawn, with the males moving into the thin water.

ANYBODY FISHING ERINA NEXT WEEKEND, LEAVE THE SPAWNING FISH ALONE.

THOSE WILL BE THE FISH IN CALF TO ANKLE DEEP WATER, THAT ARE THARSHING AROUND.

Please fish water that is over knee deep, and don't walk over the shallower water than that as the fish may have spawned already and you will be killing the roe.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: E.T. on September 26, 2014, 08:43:41 AM
So with all the do's and don'ts what would be a good venue on the Vaal to test a rod out this weekend?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on September 26, 2014, 09:39:30 AM
So with all the do's and don'ts what would be a good venue on the Vaal to test a rod out this weekend?

Would like to know as well . Eastco ????
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on September 26, 2014, 10:06:33 AM
So with all the do's and don'ts what would be a good venue on the Vaal to test a rod out this weekend?

Would like to know as well . Eastco ????
Any venue that you want. Strydoms and YFP would be good bets. w;k
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on September 28, 2014, 03:36:33 PM
Rory, Marthin, Koos and I fished a venue some where between the Barrage and Orkney today.

And what a day it was. :rck" :fshn:

Doc was "vas " within 10 minutes.

A nice yellow that gave him a good rev,

I moved to another spot and landed my PB SM yellow of 4.4 kg. ( Doc has the pic ).

Every body then went on to hammer the fish. Between the 4 of us I think + 80 fish were hooked, with about 40 - 50 landed in what was an amazing 4 hour session on the water. :happ:

Must be the best day we have had collectively in 4 years. :clwn

The fish were everywhere, in the glides, riffles, rapids, ( I spooked one in ankle deep water ). :shk

Water temp was 19 at 08:00, and visibility was 40 cms.

I haven't seen the Vaal this good at this time of the year in al least 4 - 5 years. :happ: :happ:

Now I am super stoked for Christiana in 11 sleeps time. :fshn: :frid.

Guys, really, get on the water now, before someone at Rand Water screws it all up and floods the river, :unhap
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: E.T. on September 28, 2014, 04:01:02 PM
Was great fishing with you guys again.
Thanks for a lekker day out.
Show some more pics uncle Harry?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: doc on September 29, 2014, 09:01:34 AM
As Herman said another great morning on the vaal. Herman started screaming like a man possesed at me and Rory in the main channel unfortunately none of us understands Herman's dialect of vaalenese we looked back and saw a straight rod and though he lost the fish and continued fishing. When Herman kept on trying to communicate something to us I made my way over to him. To see a monster of a Yellow in the net. Took out the camera and try to take some pictures of the fish in the net unfortunately as Herman try too take the fish out of the net it slipped out of his grasp.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: doc on September 29, 2014, 09:02:18 AM
Some more Pics
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on September 29, 2014, 10:12:25 AM
WOW !!!!

Awesome catch there Herman !!!!!

Im hoping to join next sunday chaps.... been way too long since Ive been on the Vaal
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on September 29, 2014, 10:36:24 AM
Nice one Mr Jooste catch of 2014  :rck" (clap) :geet






To the rest of the girls not to bad either 40-50 fish in 4 hours between 4 anglers . Lekker man lekker !!!!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on September 29, 2014, 02:22:00 PM
Thanks for all the kind comments Guys. Much appreciated.  w;k
 
Lets hope it doesn't take me another 5 years to better the PB's.  :shk
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on September 29, 2014, 02:33:54 PM
Herman, just be ready for Christiana!!!!!!!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on September 29, 2014, 03:19:55 PM
 :shk  that is a buss nice one Herman!!!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on September 29, 2014, 09:23:19 PM
Thanks Gavin. I'll maybe take you there one day.

Depends on how much you are willing to bribe me. :frid w;k
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: The Largie Whisperer on September 30, 2014, 05:38:08 AM
Mooi vissie Oom!  :geet
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on September 30, 2014, 06:33:42 AM
Baie welkom Gerrit van die Vrystaat   :welc:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on September 30, 2014, 08:26:55 AM
Thanks Gavin. I'll maybe take you there one day.

Depends on how much you are willing to bribe me. :frid w;k
Hahaha is a six pack ok  :hnthnt:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: doc on September 30, 2014, 08:40:39 AM
 :welc:  largie whisperer
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on September 30, 2014, 09:49:57 AM
Thanks Gavin. I'll maybe take you there one day.

Depends on how much you are willing to bribe me. :frid w;k
Hahaha is a six pack ok  :hnthnt:

Ok you twisted my arm, I will take you and pick up herman along the way
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on September 30, 2014, 10:06:57 AM
That wasn't hard  :hehe: :hehe:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on September 30, 2014, 10:21:43 AM
That wasn't hard  :hehe: :hehe:

Lol it was not the beer, it was Herman's fish
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on September 30, 2014, 07:31:59 PM
Mooi vissie Oom!  :geet

Hello Gerrit. Welcome to the Ultimate site. :welc:

Hopefully you will share a little of your knowledge, as well as the great pics of the Largies from this and previous years. w;k

Great to see you here boet.  :happ: (clap)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on September 30, 2014, 07:38:39 PM
Thanks Gavin. I'll maybe take you there one day.

Depends on how much you are willing to bribe me. :frid w;k
Hahaha is a six pack ok  :hnthnt:

Ok you twisted my arm, I will take you and pick up herman along the way

Pieter, veraairer and a cheapskate to boot . :unhap

Don't trust him Gavin, he'll lead you to other waters. :shk
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on September 30, 2014, 07:44:13 PM
That wasn't hard  :hehe: :hehe:

Lol it was not the beer, it was Herman's fish

Not fishing this weekend. Have to do the final preparations for Christiana. Last flies to tie, trailer check, etc. w;k

Then next Thursday, IT"S ON. :geet :rck" :fshn: :frid

So very amped for this trip.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on September 30, 2014, 08:10:51 PM
Thanks Gavin. I'll maybe take you there one day.

Depends on how much you are willing to bribe me. :frid w;k
Hahaha is a six pack ok  :hnthnt:

Ok you twisted my arm, I will take you and pick up herman along the way

Pieter, veraairer and a cheapskate to boot . :unhap

Don't trust him Gavin, he'll lead you to other waters. :shk

That is why I wanted you there as well, I will get lost
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: The Largie Whisperer on September 30, 2014, 08:24:41 PM
Thanks for the welcome ouens!


Had a tough day on the water today nothing, niks, nadda but managed a few 10lbers and 15lbers earlier this month.


(http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii96/Coolflies/105lbs_zpscd7c606c.jpg)


(http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii96/Coolflies/10lbs_zps2f212671.jpg)


(http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii96/Coolflies/15lbsb_zps98055f9a.jpg)


(http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii96/Coolflies/15lbsa_zps07d0c4ec.jpg)


(http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii96/Coolflies/155lbsa_zps100a7396.jpg)


(http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii96/Coolflies/155lbb_zps23dfe871.jpg)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Dion Gates on September 30, 2014, 10:39:53 PM
Thanks for all the kind comments Guys. Much appreciated.  w;k
 
Lets hope it doesn't take me another 5 years to better the PB's.  :shk




Hey Herman


Nic fish ther man (clap)


I think you need to invest in a bigger net  w;k
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Zetti on October 01, 2014, 06:08:51 AM
Thanks for the welcome ouens!


Had a tough day on the water today nothing, niks, nadda but managed a few 10lbers and 15lbers earlier this month.


(http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii96/Coolflies/105lbs_zpscd7c606c.jpg)


(http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii96/Coolflies/10lbs_zps2f212671.jpg)


(http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii96/Coolflies/15lbsb_zps98055f9a.jpg)


(http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii96/Coolflies/15lbsa_zps07d0c4ec.jpg)


(http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii96/Coolflies/155lbsa_zps100a7396.jpg)


(http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii96/Coolflies/155lbb_zps23dfe871.jpg)

Look, i'm no fly fisherman by any stretch of the imagination but seeing beauties like these might convince me to purchase a fly rod and reel. Great fish Largie!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Fishy on October 01, 2014, 06:35:51 AM
Those beauties makes one itch to go fishing.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on October 01, 2014, 07:40:23 AM
Those are some great fish Largie Whisperer  :shk What is the method to catch Largies  :dunno:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: The Largie Whisperer on October 01, 2014, 08:05:06 AM
Thanks guys the long and short is this; you need a lot of perseverance cause those fish WILL give you the bird at one stage or another and make you question everything you think you know about them and it's then where the manne gets separated from the muise I mean who wants to get up early and sit on a boat for many hours not getting a sniff? It's easier to target smallmouth in the rapids right or casting a dry to a rising fish?  :fshn:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on October 01, 2014, 08:18:25 AM
Thanks for the welcome ouens!


Had a tough day on the water today nothing, niks, nadda but managed a few 10lbers and 15lbers earlier this month.


(http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii96/Coolflies/105lbs_zpscd7c606c.jpg)


(http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii96/Coolflies/10lbs_zps2f212671.jpg)


(http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii96/Coolflies/15lbsb_zps98055f9a.jpg)


(http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii96/Coolflies/15lbsa_zps07d0c4ec.jpg)


(http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii96/Coolflies/155lbsa_zps100a7396.jpg)


(http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii96/Coolflies/155lbb_zps23dfe871.jpg)


Long whistle !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nice fish there Mr Whisperer .
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on October 01, 2014, 07:55:26 PM
Gerrit.
Thanks for posting boet. What you do ITO Largies is well known on Flytalk, but there are very, very few posts on Ultimate concerning these elusive fish.

May have your permission to tell everyone of how you came to live virtually on the water in PARYS. I think that if the folks had a better sense of your dedication they would appreciate your posts more. w;k
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on October 01, 2014, 08:13:23 PM
Welcome Largie !!!
Agree with Herman as I've seen the posts on flytalk.
Some awesome fish there !!!!

Chaps.. whose fishing where on Sunday ? I desperately need to get on the river and open my account for the season !
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Sean Bisset on October 02, 2014, 02:18:16 PM
some awesome fish guys.i need to figure out how to get those largies!
myself and gav are heading to the vaal tomorrow for some smallies
and hopefully largies so wish us luck!


lets go break some shins fish boy!!!! :carp:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on October 02, 2014, 04:42:51 PM
where are you fishing sean/gav I might join you
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on October 02, 2014, 08:11:34 PM
Welcome Largie !!!
Agree with Herman as I've seen the posts on flytalk.
Some awesome fish there !!!!

Chaps.. whose fishing where on Sunday ? I desperately need to get on the river and open my account for the season !

Homie, I will not be fishing this weekend. Need to do the final prep for Christiana :clwn

Will only be back on the Vaal this side in 2 weeks time.

If I was you I would go to Erina, or the far side of Strome, opposite Strydoms. :clwn
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: E.T. on October 03, 2014, 07:19:59 AM

Right so on my second outing things went way better with the Tenkara. I fished two strike indicator options.
The one was the Curly Q inline strike indicator and the other one was one of those thingamabobber jobbies.
I did not take footage of all the fish I landed, but eventually I remembered that I have a Gopro strapped to my chest.




These two fish in this clip was some of the better footage.
Here I used the Thingamabobber and 4X tippet.
The first part of the clip is unedited, I only joined in the other fish's clip after the release of the first. Suppose you could add in 2-5 seconds for the camera to respond after I hit the button after the take/strike.
The 2nd one I took about 15 seconds away from the start/strike in order to get the footage more or less the same length as the music.
Both fish where netted with the net still attached to the back of my vest. I just couldn't get the thing off. Will buy a magnetic release as I could have landed that first fish quicker.




I am not trying to convince anyone to take up Tenkara, I am simply showing you that there is an alternative and it is possible to catch fish on a fixed line. Also note how strong the fish swims off as they are still full of energy and not played half dead.


Enjoy the clip.....


Another Tenkara Outing on Vimeo (http://vimeo.com/107828409)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on October 03, 2014, 07:30:53 AM
where are you fishing sean/gav I might join you
I think wer hitting silverstroom if your keen  :fshn:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: WalkersKiller on October 03, 2014, 07:59:24 AM
Gav, Sean  :tite :envy
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on October 03, 2014, 08:24:11 AM
 :tkx: Got the gopro so hopefully we get some fish :blush:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on October 04, 2014, 08:19:30 AM
Fishing was a bit slow today, think the water was a little to clear and not enough flow but my little home made hotspots did the trick, 4 fish all together and I hooked a huge grass carp in the tail  :shk  didn't  stand a chance  :hehe: :hehe:  but non the less not a bad way to spend a Friday. :rck"
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on October 04, 2014, 08:20:41 AM
Nice chaps !!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on October 04, 2014, 08:23:39 AM
Thanks Craig! I find the brighter Hotspots work better than the dull orange ones.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: pieta on October 04, 2014, 03:38:27 PM
Very nice. Wish I can fish on a friday. Looking at that first pick with the guy along side the braai with a Castle light in one hand and a roll of white gold in the other, it seems that castle light is doing what they do best.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on October 09, 2014, 08:20:00 AM
WK and myself are hitting Silverstroom tomorrow if any of you guys are keen and maybe eindekuil on Sunday :hnthnt:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: WalkersKiller on October 09, 2014, 08:26:24 AM
WK and myself are hitting Silverstroom tomorrow if any of you guys are keen and maybe eindekuil on Sunday :hnthnt:
:happ: :happ: :happ: :happ: :happ: :happ: :happ: :happ: :happ: :happ:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on October 09, 2014, 08:32:14 AM
WK and myself are hitting Silverstroom tomorrow if any of you guys are keen and maybe eindekuil on Sunday :hnthnt:


Might just join you 2 Brownie girl Scouts ( Homes could pull in later in the day as well ), if all goes well I wanna be on the water at Dawns Crack.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on October 09, 2014, 08:41:51 AM
WK and myself are hitting Silverstroom tomorrow if any of you guys are keen and maybe eindekuil on Sunday :hnthnt:


Might just join you 2 Brownie girl Scouts ( Homes could pull in later in the day as well ), if all goes well I wanna be on the water at Dawns Crack.
Awesome stuff!!! Are you talking about tomorrow?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on October 09, 2014, 08:42:50 AM
WK and myself are hitting Silverstroom tomorrow if any of you guys are keen and maybe eindekuil on Sunday :hnthnt:


Might just join you 2 Brownie girl Scouts ( Homes could pull in later in the day as well ), if all goes well I wanna be on the water at Dawns Crack.
Awesome stuff!!! Are you talking about tomorrow?


Yip , Friday 10 Oct 2014
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on October 09, 2014, 08:46:46 AM
WK and myself are hitting Silverstroom tomorrow if any of you guys are keen and maybe eindekuil on Sunday :hnthnt:


Might just join you 2 Brownie girl Scouts ( Homes could pull in later in the day as well ), if all goes well I wanna be on the water at Dawns Crack.
Awesome stuff!!! Are you talking about tomorrow?


Yip , Friday 10 Oct 2014
(clap) :fshn: :frid
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on October 11, 2014, 05:03:07 PM
Another Friday Session. The rain didn't stop us for long. I managed 5 yellows and 2 muddies. And my biggest of the season, I didn't weigh it but it was a good fish.   :fshn:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on October 11, 2014, 05:03:47 PM
2 more pics
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on October 12, 2014, 09:59:17 AM
Smashing fish there Gavin! What flies were producing?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on October 12, 2014, 10:19:49 AM
Smashing fish there Gavin! What flies were producing?
:tkx:  Rory, my little home made PTN Hotspots and Flashback nymph were doing the trick :fshn:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on October 12, 2014, 06:29:04 PM
Thanks Chaps had an awesome day. Haven't fished that hard in a long time. Was proper buggered  on Friday evening. 
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: WalkersKiller on October 13, 2014, 07:06:57 AM
Was lekker, finally got to do some wading  :hnthnt: didnt land a fish, but hooked 4  duh saw 2 of them were Carp, both snapped me and I hooked a nice yellow but he threw the hook after a jump  :-( will post some pics soon, also have a bit of a video!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: WalkersKiller on October 13, 2014, 07:47:17 AM
Gavs Yellows...

(http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc440/WalkersKiller/IMG_1375_zps970ae7a7.jpg)

(http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc440/WalkersKiller/IMG_1374_zpsc9e19316.jpg)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Kent on October 13, 2014, 08:53:11 AM
 :win: :win: Nice okies!!..Well done!!!...Those yellows are damn strong!!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on October 13, 2014, 10:17:54 AM
Got to Woelwaters to find Gavin, Walks and Kallie braaing a chair in a torrential downpour !!!!
After it cleared, I managed 2 muddies and a rapala sized Yellow.
Lost a dream yellow of at least 2-3 kgs.
Hit Silver Strome yesterday, and after a slowish morning managed 3 yellows and lost one muddy as Kallie was netting it ! lost some good fish as well....


Its good to be back on the vaal !!!!!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Kent on October 13, 2014, 11:17:02 AM
 :hnthnt: ..That water looks pretty clean.....do they like the water at a rapid like that???

Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Kent on October 13, 2014, 11:28:36 AM
 :dunno: ..Whats that yellow cord clipped to Gavin???
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: WalkersKiller on October 13, 2014, 11:41:18 AM
:dunno: ..Whats that yellow cord clipped to Gavin???
Wading stick  :-)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on October 13, 2014, 11:51:41 AM
:dunno: ..Whats that yellow cord clipped to Gavin???
Wading stick  :-)

If you dont clip them, they tend too drift down river...
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on October 13, 2014, 11:56:20 AM
:hnthnt: ..That water looks pretty clean.....do they like the water at a rapid like that???

Yes they do! Sunday I landed my first fish on dry in a very clear rapid. There was about 5/6 in and above the rapid and they where taking things on and in the water. Was amazing to see how the fish feed and then to see how they get chased away by a plonker wading right through the water I was drifting my flies in. 
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on October 13, 2014, 12:05:08 PM
:hnthnt: ..That water looks pretty clean.....do they like the water at a rapid like that???

while fishing yesterday, there was a huge carp not more than 2 m in front of me right in the rapid just with the tail out the water...
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on October 13, 2014, 12:29:29 PM
:hnthnt: ..That water looks pretty clean.....do they like the water at a rapid like that???

while fishing yesterday, there was a huge carp not more than 2 m in front of me right in the rapid just with the tail out the water...


There seems to be a lot more Carp at Silverstrome than other venues down to Parys . Saw couple of big boys myself yesterday , the ones tail that came out look like a Windsurfer Sail MASSIVE !!!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on October 13, 2014, 01:56:57 PM
According to Richard from urban FF, sliver strome is one of the best place to target carp
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Kent on October 13, 2014, 02:29:14 PM
:hnthnt: ..That water looks pretty clean.....do they like the water at a rapid like that???

Yes they do! Sunday I landed my first fish on dry in a very clear rapid. There was about 5/6 in and above the rapid and they where taking things on and in the water. Was amazing to see how the fish feed and then to see how they get chased away by a plonker wading right through the water I was drifting my flies in.
(bat ..Aaahh...a plonker!!...I can relate to that...like early pre dawn darknes with me and a "plonker" rocks up and shines his million candel watt head lamp right into the spot where the kobbies should be!!!...I have a much stronger word BUT PLONKER shall suffice!!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Kent on October 13, 2014, 02:30:37 PM
:dunno: ..Whats that yellow cord clipped to Gavin???
Wading stick  :-)
:dunno: ..To test the depth of the water???
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on October 13, 2014, 02:33:09 PM
Hahaha now so you don't break shins ankles and knee caps. Its an essential part of the yellow fish wardrobe :hehe: :hehe:   
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on October 13, 2014, 02:41:46 PM
Hahaha now so you don't break shins ankles and knee caps. Its an essential part of the yellow fish wardrobe :hehe: :hehe:   

And if your name is Craig , you can add not drowning , breaking your back and neck too.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: WalkersKiller on October 13, 2014, 02:50:41 PM
Hahaha now so you don't break shins ankles and knee caps. Its an essential part of the yellow fish wardrobe :hehe: :hehe:   

And if your name is Craig , you can add not drowning , breaking your back and neck too.
It, however, does not prevent you from losing fly boxes...
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on October 13, 2014, 02:59:08 PM
Hahaha now so you don't break shins ankles and knee caps. Its an essential part of the yellow fish wardrobe :hehe: :hehe:   

And if your name is Craig , you can add not drowning , breaking your back and neck too.
It, however, does not prevent you from losing fly boxes...

True  :blush:  .
 
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on October 13, 2014, 03:01:12 PM
Hahaha now so you don't break shins ankles and knee caps. Its an essential part of the yellow fish wardrobe :hehe: :hehe:   

And if your name is Craig , you can add not drowning , breaking your back and neck too.
It, however, does not prevent you from losing fly boxes...

True  :blush:  .
:hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on October 13, 2014, 03:10:39 PM
:dunno: ..Whats that yellow cord clipped to Gavin???
Wading stick  :-)
:dunno: ..To test the depth of the water???

Kent the water is mostly murky and you cant see where you are walking in the water. The rocks are slippery as well so you need the third leg for stability.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Kent on October 13, 2014, 03:47:14 PM
:dunno: ..Whats that yellow cord clipped to Gavin???
Wading stick  :-)
:dunno: ..To test the depth of the water???

Kent the water is mostly murky and you cant see where you are walking in the water. The rocks are slippery as well so you need the third leg for stability.
:hnthnt: ..Okay...got ya.....Gavin/Gareth.....better bring those sticks of yours when you come with me to my East Coast... :hehe:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on October 13, 2014, 03:50:31 PM
:dunno: ..Whats that yellow cord clipped to Gavin???
Wading stick  :-)
:dunno: ..To test the depth of the water???
Thats not a bad idea  :hnthnt:

Kent the water is mostly murky and you cant see where you are walking in the water. The rocks are slippery as well so you need the third leg for stability.
:hnthnt: ..Okay...got ya.....Gavin/Gareth.....better bring those sticks of yours when you come with me to my East Coast... :hehe:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on October 13, 2014, 03:54:43 PM
:dunno: ..Whats that yellow cord clipped to Gavin???
Wading stick  :-)
:dunno: ..To test the depth of the water???
Thats not a bad idea  :hnthnt:

Kent the water is mostly murky and you cant see where you are walking in the water. The rocks are slippery as well so you need the third leg for stability.
:hnthnt: ..Okay...got ya.....Gavin/Gareth.....better bring those sticks of yours when you come with me to my East Coast... :hehe:
Not a bad idea  :hnthnt:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Kent on October 13, 2014, 03:55:26 PM
:dunno: ..Whats that yellow cord clipped to Gavin???
Wading stick  :-)
:dunno: ..To test the depth of the water???
Thats not a bad idea  :hnthnt:

Kent the water is mostly murky and you cant see where you are walking in the water. The rocks are slippery as well so you need the third leg for stability.
:hnthnt: ..Okay...got ya.....Gavin/Gareth.....better bring those sticks of yours when you come with me to my East Coast... :hehe:
Not a bad idea  :hnthnt:
:hyst: :hyst: :hnthnt:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: WalkersKiller on October 14, 2014, 07:14:48 AM
 :rotfl
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Kent on October 14, 2014, 08:55:17 AM
:rotfl
:hnthnt: ..You two okies are young and strong a 30m long, chest deep, wade wont worry you...ne??? w;k
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on October 14, 2014, 08:57:22 AM
:rotfl
:hnthnt: ..You two okies are young and strong a 30m long, chest deep, wade wont worry you...ne??? w;k
Well WK is more young than strong but im sure we will manage  :hehe: :hehe: :hehe:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: WalkersKiller on October 14, 2014, 09:00:26 AM
 :crzy :lolo:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on October 14, 2014, 10:07:42 AM
Right... enough Hijacking !
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on October 14, 2014, 03:34:32 PM
Right... enough Hijacking !

 
 :crzy :crzy :crzy
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on October 16, 2014, 11:18:03 AM
Whos fishing where this weekend ? Unfortunately Im out....
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: WalkersKiller on October 16, 2014, 11:19:11 AM
Gonna be fly fishing for Kingies this weekend  :crzy
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on October 16, 2014, 11:32:07 AM
Im also out  :-(
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Kent on October 16, 2014, 03:49:12 PM
Gonna be fly fishing for Kingies this weekend  :crzy
:hnthnt: ..Where??? :gt:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on October 16, 2014, 03:52:41 PM
Gonna be fly fishing for Kingies this weekend  :crzy
:hnthnt: ..Where??? :gt:

X-Box  :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :geet :geet :rck" :rck" :rck" :hyst: :hyst: :hyst:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: WalkersKiller on October 17, 2014, 07:28:23 AM
Kosibaai!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on October 17, 2014, 07:55:30 AM
Kosibaai!

Enjoy Chaps
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Kent on October 17, 2014, 10:22:09 AM
Gonna be fly fishing for Kingies this weekend  :crzy
:hnthnt: ..Where??? :gt:

X-Box  :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :geet :geet :rck" :rck" :rck" :hyst: :hyst: :hyst:
:hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on October 20, 2014, 10:35:06 AM
See flows are woes low in the 15 to 20 ball park . What is the best low flow venue between Elrina down to Parys ?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on October 20, 2014, 10:47:22 AM
Whos keen for Friday? :fshn:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on October 20, 2014, 10:52:06 AM
Whos keen for Friday? :fshn:

 :cry: can only do a Arvie 13:00 to last light session on Sat ..........
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on October 20, 2014, 10:55:19 AM
Oh damn  sry !!! I really want to hit Eindekuil on Friday!!!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Sean Bisset on October 20, 2014, 02:28:32 PM
i wana hit eindekuil, some nice fish coming out :beer:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on October 20, 2014, 02:30:32 PM
Whats the current entrance fee at Eendekuil?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on October 20, 2014, 02:34:19 PM
Whats the current entrance fee at Eendekuil?

R90 or R100 per Ou
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on October 20, 2014, 02:36:14 PM
Wheres Eendekuil ?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on October 20, 2014, 02:37:42 PM
Duck Galley is just past Woelwater en route to Parys on the same road .
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on October 20, 2014, 02:40:54 PM
Duck Galley is just past Woelwater en route to Parys on the same road .

???
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on October 20, 2014, 02:41:51 PM
English translation of Eendekuil you Mega Tjop !!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on October 20, 2014, 02:43:05 PM
English translation of Eendekuil you Mega Tjop !!

 :blush:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on October 20, 2014, 02:46:39 PM
Friday is out for me, thinking of wetting a line on Sunday morning. Not sure where yet  :dunno:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on October 20, 2014, 05:56:17 PM
Ive been tying some new patterns to test out on friday :hnthnt:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on October 20, 2014, 06:23:44 PM
have you tried this before?
It worked well at christiana with orange legs. Try a prince nymph variant as well

Rubber Leg Copper John II (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0Zl4oJ5B8o#)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on October 21, 2014, 03:28:13 PM
See flows are woes low in the 15 to 20 ball park . What is the best low flow venue between Elrina down to Parys ?

Anybody ?????
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on October 21, 2014, 03:30:51 PM
See flows are woes low in the 15 to 20 ball park . What is the best low flow venue between Elrina down to Parys ?

Anybody ?????

Try this....

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-4154/flomax-oral/details (http://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-4154/flomax-oral/details)

I know it gets difficult as you get older....
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on October 21, 2014, 03:32:25 PM
See flows are woes low in the 15 to 20 ball park . What is the best low flow venue between Elrina down to Parys ?

Anybody ?????

 

Try this....

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-4154/flomax-oral/details (http://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-4154/flomax-oral/details)

I know it gets difficult as you get older....

 
 
 :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst:  your Sisters Foot !!!!

 
 
 
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on October 21, 2014, 04:24:14 PM
See flows are woes low in the 15 to 20 ball park . What is the best low flow venue between Elrina down to Parys ?

Anybody ?????

 

Try this....

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-4154/flomax-oral/details (http://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-4154/flomax-oral/details)

I know it gets difficult as you get older....

 
 
 :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst:  your Sisters Foot !!!!
:hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on October 21, 2014, 04:25:20 PM
Sean and myself are hitting eendekuil on Thursday :fshn:  Anyone keen :hnthnt:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on October 21, 2014, 04:33:27 PM
Sean and myself are hitting eendekuil on Thursday :fshn:  Anyone keen :hnthnt:

Some of us work ! :cnfzd


What time ?
 :hnthnt:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on October 21, 2014, 04:43:23 PM
 :hehe: :hehe:  Was that rubber arm twisted :hnthnt:  Im sure we will be there at around 10 latest.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on October 21, 2014, 04:58:58 PM
LOL...

just kidding,

Its Diwali on Thursday...... cant at all
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on October 21, 2014, 06:43:38 PM
 :hehe: :hehe: :hehe:  all good I understand :rck"
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on October 22, 2014, 10:55:25 AM
Ok we'r not going tomorrow  :-( :cry:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on October 22, 2014, 11:46:15 AM
Ok we'r not going tomorrow  :-( :cry:
Myself and my mentor and guru  are fishing Silverstrome on Sat if you wanna pull in.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on October 22, 2014, 12:28:23 PM
Ok we'r not going tomorrow  :-( :cry:
Myself and my mentor and guru  are fishing Silverstrome on Sat if you wanna pull in.

What happened here ????  :hyst:
 
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on October 22, 2014, 01:06:32 PM
Nothing. .. youu were just being honest...
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on October 22, 2014, 01:10:24 PM
 :dunno:  you have just confused me hahaha, what going on? :blush:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Kent on October 22, 2014, 01:41:54 PM
:dunno:  you have just confused me hahaha, what going on? :blush:
:hnthnt: ..Seems to be a FLY in the ointment...?????
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on October 22, 2014, 03:28:51 PM
Ok we'r not going tomorrow  :-( :cry:
Myself and my mentor and guru  are fishing Silverstrome on Sat if you wanna pull in.

What happened here ????  :hyst:
(https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTEkpelPlji6xHLUKOo-RqJx_hQFfKPAkp17aWSzWYPFq4sx0MsEJPkJUE)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on October 23, 2014, 01:15:09 PM
Fishing Eendekuil this Sunday with Bryan. Who else is pulling in ?  :fshn: :frid
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on October 24, 2014, 09:22:17 AM
Ok we'r not going tomorrow  :-( :cry:
Myself and my mentor and guru  are fishing Silverstrome on Sat if you wanna pull in.

What happened here ????  :hyst:
(https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTEkpelPlji6xHLUKOo-RqJx_hQFfKPAkp17aWSzWYPFq4sx0MsEJPkJUE)

........
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on October 24, 2014, 10:20:13 AM
 :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: got it  :blush:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on October 26, 2014, 02:14:14 PM
Fished Eendekuil with Bryan and Thinus this morning. Flows were up to around 30  :happ: :happ: after yesterdays rains. The muddies were spawning big time, and glad to say not one person out of the 20 odd on the water targeted them.  :clwn

I worked my over to the fourth run and soon got two muddies in consecutive casts and then lost the bottom half of my leader, thanks to a monster carp. :unhap

Rigged up again and got another muddie and a sm yellow of around 2.5kg. The yellow was on the bling bling control fly, all the muddies on the point nymph.

I know Bryan was hammering the  fish, including  Carp and Barbel but let's let him tell the story. w;k

All in all, another great day on the Vaal. :fshn: :fshn: :fshn:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on October 26, 2014, 08:19:42 PM
Great to see you all had fun Herman w;k  Ok this Wednesday we are hitting the Vaal haha, we might even camp the night, Sean is trying to get all the fishing he can before he ties the knot  :hehe: :hehe: :hehe:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on October 27, 2014, 08:50:52 AM
Fished Strome from 12-6 roughly... in the rain and hail....
lots of rocksnot, and lots of ons and offs..... very frustrating but we persevered !

Worked really hard and finally landed a yellow of around a kg.... almost 6 hours for 1 fish !
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on October 27, 2014, 09:30:47 AM
Fished Strome from 12-6 roughly... in the rain and hail....
lots of rocksnot, and lots of ons and offs..... very frustrating but we persevered !

Worked really hard and finally landed a yellow of around a kg.... almost 6 hours for 1 fish !

Eish only one fish?? Did you guys fish up at "Heathrow" at all?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on October 27, 2014, 11:16:09 AM
fished most of the 1st run Rory...

The rock snot was bad... I hooked a good few fish, lost at least 3 when the control fly got snagged...  Kallie also landed 1...

Had a Vaal newbie with us... 1st time he ever held a rod, as he is from Mumbai India. Needless to say, he did the Vaal Shuffle !

:hehe:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Kent on October 27, 2014, 03:47:03 PM
Fished Strome from 12-6 roughly... in the rain and hail....
lots of rocksnot, and lots of ons and offs..... very frustrating but we persevered !

Worked really hard and finally landed a yellow of around a kg.... almost 6 hours for 1 fish !
:hnthnt: ..Six hours ..one fish...dang GREAT!!!...Try 18 months and NO FISH!!!....
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on October 28, 2014, 02:06:16 PM
Believe the Vaal river canoe marathon is soon ( this weekend I think  :dunno: ) . How will this effect fishing in the next 2 weeks ???
 
 
Ps: for those who dont know - loads of water is released from the dam to in the river for the marathon.
 
 
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on October 28, 2014, 02:08:33 PM
Believe the Vaal river canoe marathan is soon ( this weekend I think  :dunno: ) . How will this effect fishing in the next 2 weeks ???

Well it seems like the chances of hooking a canoeist  or being hit by a canoe would increase drastically...
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on October 28, 2014, 02:11:11 PM
Believe the Vaal river canoe marathan is soon ( this weekend I think  :dunno: ) . How will this effect fishing in the next 2 weeks ???

Well it seems like the chances of hooking a canoeist  or being hit by a canoe would increase drastically...

 :craz: :nuts: idt
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on October 28, 2014, 02:13:51 PM
They will release a lot of water for this... so flows will increase !

Rock snot gets flushed away !!!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on October 28, 2014, 02:22:20 PM
Expect flows of 80 - 100 below the Barrage on Sunday.  :hnthnt:
They will start increasing the flows from Sat evening below the Barrage. This will flush a lot of the snot, but also totally bugger up the great vis we have been having lately. :unhap :unhap
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on October 28, 2014, 02:25:35 PM
Expect flows of 80 - 100 below the Barrage on Sunday.  :hnthnt:
They will start increasing the flows from Sat evening below the Barrage. This will flush a lot of the snot, but also totally bugger up the great vis we have been having lately. :unhap :unhap

speak for yourself....
 :unhap
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on October 28, 2014, 02:26:33 PM
So an arvie session on Sat at Strome ( lunch time to last light )will still be safe ?
 
 
 
 
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on October 28, 2014, 02:28:11 PM
So an arvie session on Sat at Strome ( lunch time to last light )will still be safe ?

I wouldnt chance it....

the fishing would be frustrating, as all the k*K will be washing down.....
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on October 28, 2014, 02:30:49 PM
So an arvie session on Sat at Strome ( lunch time to last light )will still be safe ?

I wouldnt chance it....

the fishing would be frustrating, as all the k*K will be washing down.....

.......
 
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on October 28, 2014, 03:12:42 PM
So an arvie session on Sat at Strome ( lunch time to last light )will still be safe ?

I have fished Strome on a Sunday, in the middle of the race before. Flows were 80 +.  :craz:
Saterday arvie should be kooking on a rising flow. Just keep a good eye open for the rising water, and make sure you have a way out if it get's too high.  w;k
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on October 28, 2014, 03:14:11 PM
So an arvie session on Sat at Strome ( lunch time to last light )will still be safe ?

I have fished Strome on a Sunday, in the middle of the race before. Flows were 80 +.  :craz:
Saterday arvie should be kooking on a rising flow. Just keep a good eye open for the rising water, and make sure you have a way out if it get's too high.  w;k

Thanks Herman . Take it you will be joining . Will have the Windhoeks ice cold when you get there.
 
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on October 28, 2014, 03:20:49 PM
So an arvie session on Sat at Strome ( lunch time to last light )will still be safe ?

I have fished Strome on a Sunday, in the middle of the race before. Flows were 80 +.  :craz:
Saterday arvie should be kooking on a rising flow. Just keep a good eye open for the rising water, and make sure you have a way out if it get's too high.  w;k

Thanks Herman . Take it you will be joining . Will have the Windhoeks ice cold when you get there.

Sorry Craig, won't be joining as I'm fishing Oord Nebo on Sunday, which should also be kooking on a rising flow. :fshn: :hnthnt:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on October 28, 2014, 03:23:12 PM
So an arvie session on Sat at Strome ( lunch time to last light )will still be safe ?

I have fished Strome on a Sunday, in the middle of the race before. Flows were 80 +.  :craz:
Saterday arvie should be kooking on a rising flow. Just keep a good eye open for the rising water, and make sure you have a way out if it get's too high.  w;k

Thanks Herman . Take it you will be joining . Will have the Windhoeks ice cold when you get there.

Sorry Craig, won't be joining as I'm fishing Oord Nebo on Sunday, which should also be kooking on a rising flow. :fshn: :hnthnt:

 :Like:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on October 28, 2014, 03:51:26 PM
Expect flows of 80 - 100 below the Barrage on Sunday.  :hnthnt:
They will start increasing the flows from Sat evening below the Barrage. This will flush a lot of the snot, but also totally bugger up the great vis we have been having lately. :unhap :unhap

speak for yourself....
 :unhap


 duh Vis as in visibility?? Strafdop....
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on October 28, 2014, 04:27:04 PM
Expect flows of 80 - 100 below the Barrage on Sunday.  :hnthnt:
They will start increasing the flows from Sat evening below the Barrage. This will flush a lot of the snot, but also totally bugger up the great vis we have been having lately. :unhap :unhap

speak for yourself....
 :unhap

Homie try this for great vis - I sight fished 3 yellows on dry in the vaal. Sounds like a made up story but it is tru I say :toppie:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on October 28, 2014, 06:10:47 PM
Well we'r hitting the Vaal tomorrow so last chanced before the floodgate opens  :dunno: :hnthnt:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on October 30, 2014, 09:37:39 AM
Ok we hit Duck gully yesterday morning. The water flow was a lot faster but still fishable. Sean was on the ball and landed two nice yellows in the morning, we waded about a km up the 4th channel, my legs are feeling it today :cry: .


After a long trek through the island and wading through chest deep water back to home bass we had a few cold ones waiting for us. After a relaxed braai and some food in our bellies  we hit the second sesh at around 3:00. I managed 3 little yellows and Sean landed a massive small mouth of 2.7kgs and due to going for a swim with my camera earlier that day...we didn't get a photo  :-( 


Good day all in all
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on October 30, 2014, 09:38:44 AM
This is good to see, check the size of this little guy!!!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Sean Bisset on October 30, 2014, 10:04:30 AM
duck gully was realy on form yesterday.pitty we had no pics of the lunker yellow,
but we will jus hav 2 go back and catch some more!!! was an amazing day out,jus wot
i needed 2 de-stress me b4 my wedding!!! :yipee:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on October 30, 2014, 10:15:28 AM
duck gully was realy on form yesterday.pitty we had no pics of the lunker yellow,
but we will jus hav 2 go back and catch some more!!! was an amazing day out,jus wot
i needed 2 de-stress me b4 my wedding!!! :yipee:
The only way mate!!! :yipee: :yipee: :yipee:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on October 30, 2014, 10:24:37 AM
Well done Chaps.
 
2.7kg Yellow is a beast !!!! How was the wading ?
 
 
 
Planning a trip next Thursday ( 6 Novies 2014 ) if you girls wanna join. Have not fished Eendekuil in Donkey Ears.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on October 30, 2014, 10:33:30 AM
Hahaha the rocks seem to be my rocky if you know what I mean and more slippery, we took a beating but we did go where most men wouldn't w;k . That yellow was huge hey!!! Hot spots :geet  PTN's work well too! Pick me up on the way and Ill join you  :hehe: :hehe: :hehe:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: WalkersKiller on October 30, 2014, 10:34:22 AM
Awesome stuff, good to see some Yellows that size around...
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on October 31, 2014, 07:25:21 AM
Info courtesy of Gerrit. Largiewhisperer.
 
Two Day Canoe Marathon 1-2 November 2014.
Please take note that this marathon will take place on Saturday 1 and Sunday 2 November 2014. Where possible, please inform riparian owners of changes in water levels.
NB: BARRAGE LEVEL 100% ON 1 NOVEMBER 2014.
Releases from Vaal Dam will be as follows:
24/10/2014: 06:00 Vaal Dam will cut back to 15m³/s.
01/11/2014:00:01 Vaal Dam will open to 40m³/s (4 valves 100% + 1 valve 50%).
01/11/2014: 10:00 Vaal Dam will cut back to 16m³/s (normal outflow).
Releases from the Vaal Barrage must be as follows:
01/11/2014: 10:00 Barrage must open to 90m³/s.
02/11/2014: 05:00 Barrage must cut back to 40m³/s.
02/11/2014: 08:00 Barrage must cut back to 10m³/s (normal outflow).
Takkie Lötter: Chief Water Control Officer Vaal Dam
Tel: (016) 371-3039      
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on October 31, 2014, 07:38:07 AM
Info courtesy of Gerrit. Largiewhisperer.
 
Two Day Canoe Marathon 1-2 November 2014.
Please take note that this marathon will take place on Saturday 1 and Sunday 2 November 2014. Where possible, please inform riparian owners of changes in water levels.
NB: BARRAGE LEVEL 100% ON 1 NOVEMBER 2014.
Releases from Vaal Dam will be as follows:
24/10/2014: 06:00 Vaal Dam will cut back to 15m³/s.
01/11/2014:00:01 Vaal Dam will open to 40m³/s (4 valves 100% + 1 valve 50%).
01/11/2014: 10:00 Vaal Dam will cut back to 16m³/s (normal outflow).
Releases from the Vaal Barrage must be as follows:
01/11/2014: 10:00 Barrage must open to 90m³/s.
02/11/2014: 05:00 Barrage must cut back to 40m³/s.
02/11/2014: 08:00 Barrage must cut back to 10m³/s (normal outflow).
Takkie Lötter: Chief Water Control Officer Vaal Dam
Tel: (016) 371-3039
:-( How long do you think it will take for the river to get back to normal? :dunno:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on October 31, 2014, 08:23:41 AM
Probably by about Wednesday. Saterday afternoon and Sunday morning will be scary, especially if you don't know the venue you are at very well. :shk :nuts: :craz: :hnthnt:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on October 31, 2014, 08:32:41 AM
Probably by about Wednesday. Saterday afternoon and Sunday morning will be scary, especially if you don't know the venue you are at very well. :shk :nuts: :craz: :hnthnt:

Thanks Herman
 
How will this affect the fish's feeding behaviour after Wednesday ?  Dropping flow = not good ???  :dunno:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on October 31, 2014, 08:46:48 AM
Probably by about Wednesday. Saterday afternoon and Sunday morning will be scary, especially if you don't know the venue you are at very well. :shk :nuts: :craz: :hnthnt:

Thanks Herman
 
How will this affect the fish's feeding behaviour after Wednesday ?  Dropping flow = not good ???  :dunno:

If the flows remain constant after Sunday's decrease for 3 days, then the fish should have settled and resume their normal feeding patterns. If we get a lot of rain in the catchment over the weekend, then they may not decrease the flows to as low as 16, on Sunday afternoon.
Lots of variables.  :cnfzd w;k
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on October 31, 2014, 08:47:57 AM
Probably by about Wednesday. Saterday afternoon and Sunday morning will be scary, especially if you don't know the venue you are at very well. :shk :nuts: :craz: :hnthnt:

Thanks Herman
 
How will this affect the fish's feeding behaviour after Wednesday ?  Dropping flow = not good ???  :dunno:

If the flows remain constant after Sunday's decrease for 3 days, then the fish should have settled and resume their normal feeding patterns. If we get a lot of rain in the catchment over the weekend, then they may not decrease the flows to as low as 16, on Sunday afternoon.
Lots of variables.  :cnfzd w;k

 :tkx:  kind Sir
 
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on November 03, 2014, 08:02:46 PM
A whole bunch of us fished Oord Nebo Sunday. Flows were around30 on arrival and only started rising at about 11:30 in the morning. I know that Tiaan, ( Yella ) and Christo were planning on fishing untill around 3 pm, so maybe the can shed more light on the flows later in the day. wouldn't say that the fishing was off the wall, but I'm pretty sure that nobody blanked.
 I managed 4 yellows and a muddie. :-) Flies that worked were hot spots and for me a mustard caddis.
I fouled the biggest yellow  :-( in the dorsal fin, and it took me for a walk 300m downstream, before a fellow f/f who I've never met before landed it for me :happ: as my net was anyway too small :-(
Must get a bigger net, the way the fishing is going this summer. :rck" :fshn: :hnthnt:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on November 10, 2014, 11:19:54 AM
anyone plan on fishing Sat morning ?

Cant really do Sunday, as the 94.7 cycle race makes getting in and out of my area ridiculous ....
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Prego on November 10, 2014, 11:48:32 AM
I'm keen to give this a try, Homie you got a spare setup I can use?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on November 10, 2014, 11:50:15 AM
I'm keen to give this a try, Homie you got a spare setup I can use?

Yup !!!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on November 10, 2014, 01:25:01 PM
I checked the water over the weekend and visibility was great, but not sure with all the latest rain  :dunno:
Homie just make sure you take an extra broom for the newbie and enjoy.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on November 10, 2014, 01:25:47 PM
where are you panning on going?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on November 10, 2014, 04:16:05 PM
We might be heading to the vaal on Friday! :fshn:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: MIKE PIKE on November 10, 2014, 04:34:12 PM
where are you panning on going?
You okes looking for gold now in the Vaal ... panning .. :crzy
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on November 10, 2014, 05:18:09 PM
where are you panning on going?
You okes looking for gold now in the Vaal ... panning .. :crzy

Spot on Mike! we are looking for bars of gold:

Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on November 10, 2014, 05:18:49 PM
sorry for the dirt on this one
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on November 10, 2014, 08:42:19 PM
Doc, Rory, Etienne, Grant and I fished a venue below Parys on Sunday. I was hoping that the fishing would be off the wall, but alas I was disappointed. Got 1 nice yellow of around 3kg early in my favourite spot and than nothing, nada, boggerall. :dunno:

Meantime every time I looked across at Rory and Doc, fishing the main river below me, their rods were bent  :-( :happ:.

I eventually moved down to Rory to share some "Silverberry" to see that Doc had waded across to the other side through for him, neck deep water. :shk :shk

Rory kept on hooking, and I nothing, so I went back to my possie, and NADA.

The clouds started looking ominous so I left the water at around 11:30, shortly followed by Rory and Doc. The first thunder and lightening started just before we left, with Etienne and Grant still on the water, hope they played it safe.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Ianzo on November 14, 2014, 09:13:04 AM
Hi guys

Hows this weekend looking for some yellows around Parys? Seems a bit high but I dont have that much experience

Thanx
Ian
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on November 14, 2014, 09:29:01 AM
Think Im gonna skip this weekend....
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on November 14, 2014, 09:38:20 AM
Yip im out for this weekend too  :-(  That was a lot of rain for one week, the water must be raging :dunno:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on November 14, 2014, 09:55:18 AM
Will be fishing Duck Gully next Sat . First light until the cows come home. So spend the next week tying flies and come get a free lession on Yellow fishing next Sat. 
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on November 14, 2014, 11:32:52 AM
Flows are at 30-35 and that is about normal

for info check: http://www.reservoir.co.za/flow.htm (http://www.reservoir.co.za/flow.htm)
and https://www.dwaf.gov.za/Hydrology/RTMain.aspx (https://www.dwaf.gov.za/Hydrology/RTMain.aspx)
Goosbay will be the flow for geelvis to eendekuil/eastco
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on November 14, 2014, 11:39:27 AM
Hi guys

Hows this weekend looking for some yellows around Parys? Seems a bit high but I dont have that much experience

Thanx
Ian

It depends on where you are going to fish, but I have fished venues below parys that I only like at 70tons. current flow is at 30 and that is perfect. Just monitor the flows on the sites I have provided and dont drink the water.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on November 14, 2014, 11:42:05 AM
Let me throw a Pigeon among the cats and let’s hear your thoughts on the following short line nymphing on the Vaal :
 
a)    Braid leaders
b)    Circle hooks for your control fly
c)    2 or 3 fly set up
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Grant L on November 14, 2014, 12:12:52 PM
Hi Craig,


a) I have not tried braid, I use hi-vis mono that I bar with a permanent marker on the spool.
b) circle hook control fly, yup.
c) I start with 3 flies, if there are too many tangles I will go to 2.


It's called Free State or North West Nymphing depending on what side of the river I enter from.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on November 14, 2014, 12:31:14 PM
Hi Craig,


a) I have not tried braid, I use hi-vis mono that I bar with a permanent marker on the spool.
b) circle hook control fly, yup.
c) I start with 3 flies, if there are too many tangles I will go to 2.


It's called Free State or North West Nymphing depending on what side of the river I enter from.

Nice  :tkx:  for your input Grant.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on November 14, 2014, 12:55:04 PM
a)    Braid leaders - Never tried
b)    Circle hooks for your control fly  - Yup
c)    2 or 3 fly set up - prefer 2 as 3 tangles... and makes unhooking a nightmare at the net etc.... I have tried it daisy chain style once and it worked....
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on November 14, 2014, 01:09:20 PM
" I have tried it daisy chain style once and it worked...."
 
Over share  :cnfzd
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Ettienne on November 14, 2014, 01:24:31 PM
c)    2 or 3 fly set up - prefer 2 as 3 tangles... and makes unhooking a nightmare at the net etc.... I have tried it daisy chain style once and it worked....
:cnfzd :dunno:  what is.....[size=78%]daisy chain style???[/size]
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on November 14, 2014, 01:27:56 PM
....
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on November 14, 2014, 02:36:44 PM
Let me throw a Pigeon among the cats and let’s hear your thoughts on the following short line nymphing on the Vaal :
 
a)    Braid leaders
b)    Circle hooks for your control fly
c)    2 or 3 fly set up

a) Tried a braid leader once only ever. Hooked a rock on about the third drift of the session and couldn't free the hook or snap the braid. Had to cut it off!
b) I use circles often on control flies but generally only on "Kursk" weight flies. I haven't picked up a difference in hook up ratio on circles vs caddis type hooks
c) 2 fly setup. Less tangles.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on November 14, 2014, 02:49:09 PM

a) Tried a braid leader once only ever. Hooked a rock on about the third drift of the session and couldn't free the hook or snap the braid. Had to cut it off!

Shouldnt it have been braid leader and then normal tippet (3x etc) to the fly ???
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on November 14, 2014, 02:54:45 PM
Shouldnt it have been braid leader and then normal tippet (3x etc) to the fly ???

In hindsight obviously yes. It was an experiment - school fess paid up now!  :craz:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on November 14, 2014, 03:02:54 PM
I might just add that that rock hit that fly like it was its last meal on the planet.... :crzy
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on November 14, 2014, 03:14:19 PM
Now why would you want to use braid as a leader?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on November 14, 2014, 03:17:14 PM
I have been fishing with a 30lb Berkley Whiplash leader (super thin diameter >+/- 0.15mm)straight onto a 2mm tippet ring on a 2 fly rig with the control fly off the tippet ring and it does give you an increased “ feel” you feel every bump on the bottom and a take by a fish feels like a little electric shock. I like the idea so far. Only problem there is no stretch in the leader , so if you do come loose while fighting a fish the leader goes air born right from the fishes mouth . Homes should have a nice story to tell of me coming loose on a fish about 20 to 30 meters from me and the leader and flies flying through the air into a tree . Had to climb the tree wader and all.
 
My next experiment is to add +/- 500mm of boiled 10lb Maxima at the end of the braid to give me a little shock absorber and still have the extra feel .

 Watch’s this space for feed back
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on November 14, 2014, 03:25:24 PM
Homes should have a nice story to tell of me coming loose on a fish about 20 to 30 meters from me and the leader and flies flying through the air into a tree . Had to claim the tree wader and all.
 

A sight not easily forgotten !
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on November 29, 2014, 01:31:38 PM
Kallie, I like your thinking out of the box. w;k However what happens if your leader wraps or gets stuck under a rock ? :shk

I must admit, I have never tried braid as a leader, I like my mono leaders quite fine.

I did try boiling leaders at one time, but found the schlep wasn't worth it. Maybe fishing for LM or the Salt, a boiled leader might have some benefits.

BTW. The flow from the Barrage today is 90, so choose your venue very carefully. w;k

Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: bassbug on December 01, 2014, 05:18:43 AM
because of bassing, i have been told and experienced that braid doesnt like rock. if not mono then go fluoro for added sensitivity
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: bassbug on December 02, 2014, 08:49:13 PM
hello gents, is the dwaf site down? for the last week cant get in to check them flows
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on December 22, 2014, 05:03:05 PM
Snuck off to the Vaal early and fished the morning session with Herman below Parys. With the DWAF website stuck I would hesitate a guess that  the flows were between 40 and 50 cubes. The day started off extremely slowly, with very few fish taking the flies. Fishing the deeper water I managed to hook a monster who knows what, that took my entire flyline off the reel before snapping off my leader. Serious power there, I reckon it was a papa bear barbel. Herman was fishing the upper slow pool because he had left his wading stick at home, chalk up one times strafdop. I decided to move upstream and Czech nymph the very fast water, which thankfully produced all my fish for the day - 9 yellows in the net, pulled the hooks on about 7 others at the net and had plenty on/offs. Flies that produced today were #16 black mayflies on the point, #10 Humpys favourite on control and #12 mustard caddis on a revolving dropper. Apologies for the lack of camera, I snuck a pic of Herman with my phone.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on December 24, 2014, 02:00:00 PM
Yup, thanks Rory for joining me. A very frustrating day being sans wading stick and landing net , :craz:  and only 2 muddies landed and a barbell which took me straight into the fallen tree. :cry:
I shall be back with my 9 weight.  (bat (bat
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on December 28, 2014, 08:30:42 PM
 Homes and myself done a quick arvie session at Silverstome yesterday. Weather was not the best and fished the best part of the day in the rain.

Day started with a couple on/offs in an area that had produced  in the past but none would stick long enough to land.

We moved up stream a few 100 meters and found a good spot that gave Homes his PB Yellow, I got a few nice fish as well including a rare Carp . Fly of the day was a Red hot spot Brassie fished higher up in the water column.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on December 28, 2014, 09:31:31 PM
Yup, awesome day on the Vaal !

For me, a comedy of errors.. almost lost my landing net causing me to loose a monster that had me almost to the backing... then also had my reel come off the rod... Twice !!!! Once while fighting a muddie.... duh

Thanks to Kallie for fishing it out for me !

Was all worth it catching that beauty !
 :happ:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: WalkersKiller on December 29, 2014, 08:24:09 AM
Nice one lads  :happ:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on December 29, 2014, 09:57:28 AM
Super fish chasps! :corrct:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on January 05, 2015, 12:15:07 PM
would give my left nut to be on the Vaal rather than at my desk.......
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on January 05, 2015, 12:27:42 PM
would give my left nut to be on the Vaal rather than at my desk.......

 :cry: :cry: :cry:  me to man . Can hear the water flowing .............
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on January 06, 2015, 07:40:06 PM
Rory, Oupie, Russ, Luke and I fished below Parys on Sunday. Flows were around 50 - 55 on arrival, visibility around 25cms.
Cut a long story short, Rory 5 in the net, Etienne 1, Luke a nice barbell and some others, me 2 on offs, and Russ nada.
The flows were rising, which normally means good fishing :dunno: :dunno: I am now  :dunno: :craz: :hnthnt:
Lets see what happens next Sunday at a completely different  venue and at constant flows.  w;k
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: dodger on January 06, 2015, 07:50:31 PM
Rory, Oupie, Russ, Luke and I fished below Parys on Sunday. Flows were around 50 - 55 on arrival, visibility around 25cms.
Cut a long story short, Rory 5 in the net, Etienne 1, Luke a nice barbell and some others, me 2 on offs, and Russ nada.
The flows were rising, which normally means good fishing :dunno: :dunno: I am now  :dunno: :craz: :hnthnt:
Lets see what happens next Sunday at a completely different  venue and at constant flows.  w;k


nicely done, I just wish my knees and ankle were up to wading :-(
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on January 07, 2015, 10:26:43 AM
Nicely done chaps, we hit duck gully yesterday and we managed 4 yellows each and got to barbel on the calling method im chuffed I got that rite. Sean missed a buss. We also when't for a little white water rafting but not intentionally  :hehe: :hehe: :hehe:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Sean Bisset on January 12, 2015, 03:15:28 PM
hahaha ya that was a pretty crazy ride down the rapids,we almost died hahaha.yeah duck gully has been pretty awesome,the water was high bt we still managed some good fish and the week b4 i got a 2.5kg smallmouth,ill post a pic asap.anotha trip there is in order soon!!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on January 12, 2015, 03:29:48 PM
Friday?  :hnthnt:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: doc on January 12, 2015, 05:19:47 PM
Fished Vischgat with Hermann, Rory, Ettiene and Grant on Sunday. Once again lekker to be on the Vaal for the first time in 2015. Had my best day yet at this venue with 8 yellows and 2 muddies most of my fish was caught on a size 16 black nymph. The others also caught their fair share also mostly on black flies or chartruese control flies. Ettiene broke his new rod in with a decent muddie luckily figuratively this time :crzy .


My yellows ranged from about 100g too about 2kg with 3 fish over 1kg. Here are some pictures of the biggest one.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: doc on January 12, 2015, 05:21:05 PM
Some pictures of the others
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on January 13, 2015, 07:55:44 AM
Super pics Martin, those fish are proper yellow. It never ceases to amaze me at how tuned in these fish are for small flies, even in that silty water they can still pick up those tiny flies.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Sean Bisset on January 13, 2015, 08:16:49 AM
Thats some awesome fish guys nicely done.yeah gav i think friday is on like donkey kong!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Ettienne on January 13, 2015, 08:27:15 AM
Was a good day out. Fishing difficult as always but then Martin "Doc Cormorant"showed us how it can be done. And if anyone say we don't support catch and release, here is the evidence. Well done Martin.  :rck" (clap)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on January 13, 2015, 08:31:55 AM
Was a good day out. Fishing difficult as always but then Martin "Doc Cormorant"showed us how it can be done. And if anyone say we don't support catch and release, here is the evidence. Well done Martin.  :rck" (clap)

That's a cool pic Oupie  :hehe:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on January 13, 2015, 08:39:25 AM
Well done chaps its a great start to the year for yellows!!! (clap)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Sean Bisset on January 13, 2015, 01:10:34 PM
a nice healthy 2.5kg smallie
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on January 13, 2015, 01:43:38 PM
Absolute beaut !!!!! What did it take on Sean ?

Some great fish being caught recently by all the guys !

Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on January 13, 2015, 01:48:02 PM
Good catches allround , well done Gents  (clap)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Sean Bisset on January 13, 2015, 01:57:37 PM
thanx homie,i got it on a pheasant tailed nymph,and rest of fish on the good old hot spot!!yup the fishings been gr8 lately<we gona go through 2 duck gully on fri if u keen?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on January 13, 2015, 02:04:50 PM
thanx homie,i got it on a pheasant tailed nymph,and rest of fish on the good old hot spot!!yup the fishings been gr8 lately<we gona go through 2 duck gully on fri if u keen?

 :cnfzd :cnfzd :cnfzd

I can only wish !!!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: doc on January 13, 2015, 02:07:11 PM
Nice fish Sean!!!!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Sean Bisset on January 13, 2015, 02:26:59 PM
thanx doc,been a good season.ah sorry homie,well maybe nxt tym bud,we will definetly post some pics!!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on January 13, 2015, 02:29:30 PM
Eish that's a smashing fish Sean!!  :corrct:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on January 17, 2015, 11:48:25 AM
Myself and Sean hit the water yesterday. We got 10 yellows each on PTN, Hot Spot, Black flashback Nymph, Brassie and green Caddis. Awesome fun. Sean got his first barbel on calling/ dipping and I got another 2 on mad pumpkin. I landed a monster carp of 5kgs on my 4wt :geet . Great day all in all. Sean will post pics on Monday.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on January 17, 2015, 11:50:46 AM
Any of you guys keen on a camp down this coming weekend at the vaal dam?  :hnthnt:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on January 17, 2015, 11:55:18 AM
Myself and Sean hit the water yesterday. We got 10 yellows each on PTN, Hot Spot, Black flashback Nymph, Brassie and green Caddis. Awesome fun. Sean got his first barbel on calling/ dipping and I got another 2 on mad pumpkin. I landed a monster carp of 5kgs on my 4wt :geet . Great day all in all. Sean will post pics on Monday.

Sounds like a good day out. Well done  :rck"
 
 
Mega Chop and myself gonna do a full day session on the 24th. So if you're camping thing goes Pear shaped , pull in.
 
 
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on January 19, 2015, 09:27:38 AM
Fished below Parys yesterday with Herman, Ettienne, Martin and Grant. Fishing was generally slow, except for Herman who found a pod of yellows and hammered them. I think everybody managed some fish. Personally I got a 2/3 kg barbel which had me doing fancy footwork rock hopping, seriously stubborn those fish! Flies that produced for me yesterday were Humpy's Favourites and grey caddis larvas, tied nice and slim. If I remember correctly Herman nailed his fish on a tan mayfly nymph.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on January 19, 2015, 09:30:32 AM
Mooi man  :rck" (clap)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on January 19, 2015, 12:22:29 PM
Awesome stuff there Rory !!!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on January 19, 2015, 01:18:18 PM
Good going guys!!! (clap)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: firephish on January 19, 2015, 04:17:24 PM
nice fish guys, reminds me that i need to get out there again  :hnthnt:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: yello helmet on January 19, 2015, 04:22:36 PM
Nice
I have to make time to get out
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Sean Bisset on January 21, 2015, 02:26:06 PM
Some more river action last fri
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on January 21, 2015, 02:40:44 PM
Im gonna bliksem you ous !!!!!!!
 (bat




 :crzy Bloody awesome fish man !!!!!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on January 21, 2015, 03:44:34 PM
Yeehaaaaa !!!!

Thanks Super !!!

 :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on January 21, 2015, 04:08:53 PM
Hahahahaha awesome!!! :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on January 21, 2015, 04:14:25 PM
 :geet
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Papparoach on January 21, 2015, 09:21:58 PM
Jeez Gavin nice healthy river carp there, must have given you a good rev :fshn: . I still need to catch a carp on the vaal, what fly did you land that beaut on?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on January 21, 2015, 09:41:46 PM
Yeehaaaaa !!!!

Thanks Super !!!

 :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow:

So do you think we can convince super to join us on a vaal trip?

Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on January 22, 2015, 06:55:16 AM
Jeez Gavin nice healthy river carp there, must have given you a good rev :fshn: . I still need to catch a carp on the vaal, what fly did you land that beaut on?
Thanks Papparoach it was on my 4 wt so needles to say it gave me a proppa rev, Luckily i didn't let him take me down stream, i played him hard and kept him in the same pool I hooked him in. 5kgs . It took a black flashback nymph I tied the day before thanks to Rorys bit of incite w;k Sean also got destroyed by a monster carp the same day hahaha
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on January 22, 2015, 06:56:18 AM
Yeehaaaaa !!!!

Thanks Super !!!

 :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow:

So do you think we can convince super to join us on a vaal trip?
I think hes too busy finding new smileys  :hehe: :hehe: :hehe:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on January 22, 2015, 09:05:52 AM
I dont mind the next month I will only be able to look at smileys of yellows  :cry:
Title: New Fly Fishing Venue
Post by: fishing on fly on February 03, 2015, 09:12:08 AM
NO COMMERCIAL ADVERTISING !

CONTACT ADMIN SHOULD YOU WISH TO BE A PAID ADVERTISER !


Homie

Title: Re: New Fly Fishing Venue
Post by: bassbug on February 04, 2015, 08:49:21 PM
NO COMMERCIAL ADVERTISING !

CONTACT ADMIN SHOULD YOU WISH TO BE A PAID ADVERTISER !


Homie

what this, wrong thread?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on February 09, 2015, 09:40:40 AM
Spend the weekend at Olienhout lodge 2km upstream from Elgro lodge. The accommodation was top class with a view to kill. Flows were on the slow side leaving me with very little fishable water .All my fishing was done at the same rapped +/- 200m from the accommodation .
 
Only landed 1 Muddy and lost count on the Yellow but probably landed about 25 for the weekend all in the 1kg range . Brilliant weekend will be back there soon .
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on February 09, 2015, 09:42:03 AM
Some more pics
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on February 09, 2015, 09:43:52 AM
more
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on February 09, 2015, 09:48:44 AM
Nice Kallie, looks like an awesome spot.  :envy
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Nathan4558 on February 10, 2015, 03:08:17 PM
News on OFM today at 3pm: Matlosana Municipality is polluting the Vaal river. Stilfontein refuse plant is non-functional and pumping sewage into the koekemoers spruit. This then flows into Vaal around the Vermaasdrift bridge. Sad news! I caught my PB small mouth in that area of 3.2kgs! Haven't been there in years, prefer the Parys region these days.


Lets hope they do something about it asap!


 :yellow: :yellow: :yellow:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on March 02, 2015, 08:15:00 AM
Myself, Travis (TravisPole on UA), Jay, Mark and Jarrod fished yesterday towards Parys. Flows are currently at around 18 cubes, which is about as slow as you want them, but at least this makes wading easy. I didn't measure the water temp but it was still pretty warm. The fish played along nicely with everyone getting into fish. Mark was definitely the "cormorant" for the session, he was hammering the fish. He also caught the biggest yellow I've seen come out in a long while, a real beaut of a fish guesstimated weight easily 3kg, a smashing fish. Fish sizes varied from juveniles to some good bus size, with both muddies and yellows coming out. I did a bit of a gogga inspection, plenty mayfly crawlers but all tiny, hook size smaller than 18 and olive brown in colour. The caddis were about hook size 18 and mostly a light pale grey colour. Flies that produced for me were Humpy's Favourite on the control, and mustard and olive Czech type caddis larva on the point.

Pics:
1. Mark's beaut.
2. Jarrod with a muddie.
3. A yellow for me.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on March 02, 2015, 08:18:10 AM
Well done Loly  (clap)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Ettienne on March 02, 2015, 08:24:41 AM
 (clap) Well done chaps. Rory was the yellow caught on the noodle or the HHBC & CRB rod? w;k
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on March 02, 2015, 08:28:56 AM
(clap) Well done chaps. Rory was the yellow caught on the noodle or the HHBC & CRB rod? w;k

Hee hee hee....Oupie I fished the "HHBC & CRB" rod. :craz: Bullied all the fish I hooked to see how it performs - I'm very happy.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Ettienne on March 02, 2015, 09:07:30 AM
(clap) Well done chaps. Rory was the yellow caught on the noodle or the HHBC & CRB rod? w;k

Hee hee hee....Oupie I fished the "HHBC & CRB" rod. :craz: Bullied all the fish I hooked to see how it performs - I'm very happy.


Nice man. I would like to give it a bash (figuratively speaking of course)  :rck" when you are back from your sojourn!



Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on March 02, 2015, 09:21:19 AM
Nicely done chaps!!!  (clap) (clap) (clap)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: CARPKING on March 02, 2015, 09:44:23 AM
 (clap) (clap)
Nice fish there gents
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: TravisPole on March 02, 2015, 02:33:57 PM
Rory,


Awesome day on the water. thanks for showing us the ropes!  :yellow: :yellow:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on March 02, 2015, 04:06:17 PM
We hit the water on Friday. Myself Sean Bisset and my brother Steve. This was his first yellow so he was super chuffed. :geet 
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: WalkersKiller on March 08, 2015, 05:09:05 PM
Managed to hit Silwerstrome for a bit yesterday managed 2 Yellows, dropped quite a few and missed plenty. Was awesome though!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on March 08, 2015, 06:10:07 PM
 :happ: well done bro you are finally on the board!!! :geet :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: WalkersKiller on March 08, 2015, 06:17:15 PM
:happ: well done bro you are finally on the board!!! :geet :yellow: :yellow: :yellow: :yellow:
Took long enough!!!!  :yellow: :yellow: :happ:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: yello helmet on March 09, 2015, 07:01:58 AM
 :cgrts:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: WalkersKiller on March 09, 2015, 07:04:27 AM
:cgrts:
Thanks bru!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: WalkersKiller on March 11, 2015, 07:19:26 PM
Okes, where can I check the flows? DWAF site still not working?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: doc on March 11, 2015, 07:26:34 PM
Barrage sitting at 15 constantly the whole week.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: doc on March 11, 2015, 07:30:10 PM
http://www.vaalcmf.org.za/flow.htm (http://www.vaalcmf.org.za/flow.htm)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: WalkersKiller on March 11, 2015, 07:30:31 PM
Nice, dankie doc  :bow:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: WalkersKiller on March 11, 2015, 07:39:22 PM
Also guys, any advice for a "newbie", especially for Strome, that place is awesome. Fished Copper John and Zak as the control and orange hotspot ptn as the point. Managed 2 landed fish and 2 hook ups, but one guy must have caught 6 or 7 yellows in the same drift I hooked one.

What other combo's can I try on the control especially?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on March 12, 2015, 08:33:12 AM
Black nymph is my go to fly ! Never failed ! Also something with a bit of flash always works....

Not sure I'd use a zak...
try small caddis styles as a control with a ptn hotspot or brassie... go small...14 and 16

Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on March 12, 2015, 08:35:51 AM
Black nymph is my go to fly ! Never failed ! Also something with a bit of flash always works....

Not sure I'd use a zak...
try small caddis styles as a control with a ptn hotspot or brassie... go small...14 and 16
:win:  Spot on!!! Or should I say Hotspot!?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: doc on March 12, 2015, 08:51:14 AM
Agree with Homes on the flies. My goto is normally mustard caddis as control  size 12 or 14 and then orange hotspot or GRHE or black flashback typically size 16 or 18 on point. I hardly change my control but used to change around the point quite often. Recent experiences have me concentrate more on the drift than flies though.


On occasion this season I was in the same position where guys were catching the fish drift by drift and me only getting 1 or 2 fish. Changing flies to the same flies made no difference out of desperation I added a tiny splitshot above the control and started getting fish at the same interval. So now I concentrate on getting my weighting and drift right first before tinkering with flies.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: WalkersKiller on March 12, 2015, 09:07:21 AM
Awesome thanks guys!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on March 12, 2015, 09:40:54 AM
Agree with Homes on the flies. My goto is normally mustard caddis as control  size 12 or 14 and then orange hotspot or GRHE or black flashback typically size 16 or 18 on point. I hardly change my control but used to change around the point quite often. Recent experiences have me concentrate more on the drift than flies though.


On occasion this season I was in the same position where guys were catching the fish drift by drift and me only getting 1 or 2 fish. Changing flies to the same flies made no difference out of desperation I added a tiny splitshot above the control and started getting fish at the same interval. So now I concentrate on getting my weighting and drift right first before tinkering with flies.

I agree.

If you cant get your flies to where the fish are eating, they will not eat it. Once you are in the correct area you can concentrate on what they are eating. The water is still nice and warm so pick up some rocks and look what is under them. Study the stokvis that you land. Try and match your flies to the the goggas(Size and shape).

You will also find that wading around like a plonker will scare the fish. Sometimes you just have to stand still after moving and the fish will return, drink a beer eat a snack...
I have a hypothesis that people catch fish after changing flies not because of the fly, but because the fish has returned.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: WalkersKiller on March 12, 2015, 09:46:29 AM
Interesting, thanks Pieter... Would it be wise to use a weighted PTN Hotspot as control and a small unweighted nymph at the point?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on March 12, 2015, 09:50:00 AM
Yes or use a weighted caddis. Silverstrome yellows and muddies love a green caddis.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: WalkersKiller on March 12, 2015, 09:51:16 AM
Awesome!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on March 12, 2015, 06:58:34 PM
Quote from:  So now I concentrate on getting my weighting and drift right first before tinkering with flies.
[/quote


Agree Higgins.  Get your drift right and you are 95.75% into fish already.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on March 12, 2015, 07:04:31 PM
 Walks don't be skaam :blush: and try a Red hot spot Brassie at Strome as well . 2/3 of my fish landed there this season ( +/- 6 session) have been on the Brassie fished as a 3rd fly 450 mm up from the control fly.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: WalkersKiller on March 14, 2015, 09:13:41 AM
We hit Strome yesterday, and at first it was tough. In the end Sean, Gavin, Myself and a newbie (He caught his first Yellow), managed about 20 fish, mostly Yellows, but it as weird as we all caught these fish (In different areas) between 12 and 3ish. Gavin got a few nice fish over 2kgs, mine were all under a kg.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on March 14, 2015, 09:23:08 AM
We hit Strome yesterday, and at first it was tough. In the end Sean, Gavin, Myself and a newbie (He caught his first Yellow), managed about 20 fish, mostly Yellows, but it as weird as we all caught these fish (In different areas) between 12 and 3ish. Gavin got a few nice fish over 2kgs, mine were all under a kg.
A fantastic day on the water with mates!!!

Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: WalkersKiller on March 14, 2015, 10:39:45 AM
Some pics  :yellow:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: yello helmet on March 14, 2015, 12:09:42 PM

Well Done :udman:

Need to still try arrange a pass from the Mrs and have a Vaal bash
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: WalkersKiller on March 15, 2015, 10:49:33 AM

Well Done :udman:

Need to still try arrange a pass from the Mrs and have a Vaal bash
For definite bru!!!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: doc on March 23, 2015, 12:01:16 PM
Braved the elements yesterday morning just below Parys. I arrived in a steady to heavy drizzle and left pretty much in the same conditions. Fished for about 3 hours before I gave up due to hypothermia setting in. My only companions on the water was 2 otters, a huge monitor lizzard and 2 giant kingfishers no other human in sight.


Started very slow but finally cracked the code about one and a halve hours into the session. The colour for the day was dark tan and the size small size 18. Got 4 yellows all decent size ranging from 1.5 to just over the 2 kg. The biggest one gave me good rock hopping exercise as I was not able to keep it in the pool and had to go fetch it in the main river. Flows were about 30.


Also caught a new species on fly as well as a new species for the vaal for me. A little greedy tilapia of sorts. Do not know the exact name my guess is banded tilapia or vlei kurper.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: doc on March 23, 2015, 12:03:21 PM
some more pics
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: WalkersKiller on March 23, 2015, 12:10:13 PM
Awesome stuff Doc!!! Looks like a Dwarf Kurper (Southern Mouthbrooder)...
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on March 23, 2015, 12:10:28 PM
Well done doc thats an interesting species in the Vaal river :shk  Is it note a Dwarf Kurper?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: doc on March 23, 2015, 12:26:09 PM
Think you are right Walks it is a dwarf kurper see the dwarf has a rounded tail and the vlei a square tail. The body shapes also differ with the vlei being more rounder than the vlei
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: WalkersKiller on March 23, 2015, 12:30:08 PM
Also was reading some stuff a few weeks back, there are quite a lot of Dwarfs in the Vaal River system, especially closer to Parys...
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on March 23, 2015, 01:05:50 PM
Interesting  :hnthnt:  Any other weird and wonderful species in the Vaal system? 
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: WalkersKiller on March 23, 2015, 02:20:34 PM
There are around 30 or so species in the system, probably more though... A few species of rock catfish, some areas have Canary Kurper (Dont know how), Moggel, a few species of Barb, Mosquitofish and Vlei Kurper.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: dodger on March 23, 2015, 07:02:09 PM
Also was reading some stuff a few weeks back, there are quite a lot of Dwarfs in the Vaal River system, especially closer to Parys...


has snow white been seen  :creep: :creep: :creep:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: WalkersKiller on March 23, 2015, 07:06:29 PM
Also was reading some stuff a few weeks back, there are quite a lot of Dwarfs in the Vaal River system, especially closer to Parys...


has snow white been seen  :creep: :creep: :creep:
:lolo:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: yello helmet on March 24, 2015, 07:39:28 AM
Well done
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: WalkersKiller on March 26, 2015, 07:49:27 AM
Anyone have any predictions on the flow rates this weekend? See it was at 55 yesterday, 28 most of the week and 15 this morning  :cnfzd
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on March 26, 2015, 07:54:16 AM
Anyone have any predictions on the flow rates this weekend? See it was at 55 yesterday, 28 most of the week and 15 this morning  :cnfzd

was 55 yesterday so I say ~70
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: WalkersKiller on March 26, 2015, 08:25:09 AM
Damn, thats hectic.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on March 26, 2015, 01:42:17 PM
No it is not. There are some venues that fish very well in flows of 70-90. The problem is landing fish when they get into the main flow.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on March 26, 2015, 05:25:54 PM
No it is not. There are some venues that fish very well in flows of 70-90. The problem is landing fish when they get into the main flow.

 :nuts: :wtr:

Gareth its easy, if you unsure, just don't take a chance. Safety first.  :corrct: Personally I don't advocate fishing the Vaal in flows over 40.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: WalkersKiller on March 26, 2015, 06:07:27 PM
Thanks bru, will watch the flows closely... Its back up to 55 this afternoon  :-(
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: WalkersKiller on March 27, 2015, 08:11:44 AM
No gates open, flows at 15.95  :hnthnt: :hnthnt: water temp at 20.2  :-)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on March 27, 2015, 10:04:24 AM
Lets do it!!! :rck"
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on March 30, 2015, 09:00:01 AM
Martin/Doc and myself fished a venue outside Parys yesterday. The season has definitely changed, its dark early in the morning and the water in the river is starting to get a chill to it. The fishing was frustratingly slow, myself I only managed 2 fish in the net, with hooks pulling on plenty. Flies that produced were Humpy's Favourite and slim profile mustard caddis. The fish seemed to be holding in the deeper medium fast water.

I did a gogga recce in the slow and faster sections of the river and was completely amazed at the prolific insect life. The underside of the rocks were literally crawling with life. The caddis ranged from a light grey colour to mustard to a dark green, from tiny sizes up to papa bears that would match a size 10 hook easy. There were both swimming and crawling mayflies nymphs in their hundreds, brown to dark brown and of course the blackflies were present in their seemingly thousands. Its no wonder the fish have been in superb condition this season with a menu like that!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: doc on March 30, 2015, 09:05:33 AM
As Rory said it was slow but rewarding with the fish being hooked giving a very good account of themselves. I also only landed 2 fish and pulled the hooks on several decent fish.  The flies that produced for me was mustard caddis and green rockworm. Here are some pictures of the fish
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: doc on March 30, 2015, 09:07:50 AM
Some more pictures of the bigger one
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on March 30, 2015, 09:29:57 AM
Well done chaps  (clap)  Myself and Sean hit a late afternoon sesh on Saturday, we managed 5 yellows between us and 1 Muddy. Hotspot and green caddis did the damage. Changed it up for an hour or so and did some calling and casting for barbel in a deeper pool, managed 1 on calling and one on casting.  :geet
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: doc on March 30, 2015, 09:33:23 AM
Well done
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Ettienne on March 30, 2015, 12:37:47 PM
 :cgrts: Thanks Doc and Rory. Pity I slipped up. Again>  :unhap
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: WalkersKiller on March 30, 2015, 12:50:42 PM
Nice one guys!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: CLS on March 30, 2015, 03:21:48 PM
Well done chaps  (clap)  Myself and Sean hit a late afternoon sesh on Saturday, we managed 5 yellows between us and 1 Muddy. Hotspot and green caddis did the damage. Changed it up for an hour or so and did some calling and casting for barbel in a deeper pool, managed 1 on calling and one on casting.  :geet
great fish. Please excuse my ignorance, what is calling ?? is that when you let the fly drift in the current ??
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on March 30, 2015, 04:29:54 PM
Well done chaps  (clap)  Myself and Sean hit a late afternoon sesh on Saturday, we managed 5 yellows between us and 1 Muddy. Hotspot and green caddis did the damage. Changed it up for an hour or so and did some calling and casting for barbel in a deeper pool, managed 1 on calling and one on casting.  :geet
great fish. Please excuse my ignorance, what is calling ?? is that when you let the fly drift in the current ??
Its not to do with fly fishing, we use lures to attract the barbel, very fun way too catch barbel.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on March 30, 2015, 07:33:31 PM
Also called klopping, and often done with a "roepstock" similar to the sabiki rod where the line runs inside the blank CLS

The lure often  used is a leadhead with hackle and a curly tail attached. This is splashed / slapped on the water to attract old whiskers. Imitates an baby bird that fell from a nest i believe.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on March 31, 2015, 08:00:46 AM
Also called klopping, and often done with a "roepstock" similar to the sabiki rod where the line runs inside the blank CLS

The lure often  used is a leadhead with hackle and a curly tail attached. This is splashed / slapped on the water to attract old whiskers. Imitates an baby bird that fell from a nest i believe.
Yip thats the one but we just use normal light spinning rods and thrash the surface of the water with rod tip.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on March 31, 2015, 10:59:11 AM
Also called klopping, and often done with a "roepstock" similar to the sabiki rod where the line runs inside the blank CLS

The lure often  used is a leadhead with hackle and a curly tail attached. This is splashed / slapped on the water to attract old whiskers. Imitates an baby bird that fell from a nest i believe.
Yip thats the one but we just use normal light spinning rods and thrash the surface of the water with rod tip.

 :shk :shk :shk :shk :shk

At a fly fishing venue ! youve just disgraced us all !




















 :hyst:
I'm gonna carry my spinning setup the next time Gav, maybe start a thread showing what lures would work best please ?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on March 31, 2015, 12:14:08 PM
Also called klopping, and often done with a "roepstock" similar to the sabiki rod where the line runs inside the blank CLS

The lure often  used is a leadhead with hackle and a curly tail attached. This is splashed / slapped on the water to attract old whiskers. Imitates an baby bird that fell from a nest i believe.
Yip thats the one but we just use normal light spinning rods and thrash the surface of the water with rod tip.

 :shk :shk :shk :shk :shk

At a fly fishing venue ! youve just disgraced us all !




















 :hyst:
I'm gonna carry my spinning setup the next time Gav, maybe start a thread showing what lures would work best please ?
Hahahahaha What can I say I like the  :brbel: . Ill get a thread together one I have more footage  :rck"
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on April 03, 2015, 09:23:22 AM
Hi Guys myself and Sean hit geelvis yesterday for an afternoon sesh. Best we have had in a while. Between us we landed over 20 yellows, 2 of about 2 kgs and my PB of around 3kgs which took me down some nice rapits, my knee is feeling it today :hehe: :hehe: . Brassie and Hotspot were doing the trick once again, got 1 on a San Juan worm too.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: WalkersKiller on April 03, 2015, 09:30:31 AM
Legendary Gav and Sean! Gav thats a bus Yellow, well done brother  :envy
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on April 03, 2015, 09:36:49 AM
Thanks mate im so chuffed with this one, gave a bloody good tussle down the rapids!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on April 03, 2015, 09:46:03 AM
Legendary Gav and Sean! Gav thats a bus Yellow, well done brother  :envy

Impressive  (clap) ! Well done Chaps  :rck"
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: WalkersKiller on April 06, 2015, 05:15:43 PM
Fished Strome on Sat, was a bit slow but managed 7 landed fish (Including 4 on dry fly caught by a mate of mine, Jason, on an orange Stimulator, size 12). I managed 3 decent fish on a czech nymph, ptn hotspot, and buzzer. Lost a big fish in a pool below some rapids, took me straight down river and the hook eventually popped half way into my backing. There wasnt much flow in the area where the fish ran so it must have been a bus!

(http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc440/WalkersKiller/IMG_1775_zpspjatgomp.jpg)
(http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc440/WalkersKiller/IMG_1778_zpslqbvhh28.jpg)
(http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc440/WalkersKiller/IMG_1777_zpssaeh2abt.jpg)
(http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc440/WalkersKiller/IMG_1771_zpsilewlifp.jpg)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on April 06, 2015, 05:25:42 PM
 (clap) Well done mate. Did Jason get one on dry? :shk
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: WalkersKiller on April 06, 2015, 05:42:11 PM
(clap) Well done mate. Did Jason get one on dry? :shk
4!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on April 06, 2015, 06:26:08 PM
(clap) Well done mate. Did Jason get one on dry? :shk
4!
Holly crab the brilliant!!! (clap)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Papparoach on April 07, 2015, 09:30:24 AM
Hi i also fished Stromme on Easter Friday with a mate of mine, he hammered the fish caught around 20 (all yellows and 1 muddie), i managed 2 on nymph and finally landed my first yellows on dry fly, what an expierience, first tried a DDD but had no takes than used a ELK hair caddis that landed me 3 fish, one i sighted, placed my fly in its window and seen the fly disappear, tighten and fish on  :fshn: , really enjoyed the expierience.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: WalkersKiller on April 07, 2015, 09:35:51 AM
Awesome stuff! What size EHC? Casted at fish with one on Sat, but not even a sniff, it was a size 16.

I did get a rise about a month a go on the EHC... Keen to get a Yellow on dry.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on April 07, 2015, 09:48:59 AM
I also need to get a Vaal yellow on dry fly  :-( . Well done Papparoach that's a great achievement  (clap)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Papparoach on April 07, 2015, 11:01:42 AM
Hi i used a number 14 or 16 brown ELK, but i noticed that the fish were rising sporadically and maybe that is key, the vis was also slightly better. I still need to get me a vaal river carp.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on April 22, 2015, 01:48:42 PM
(http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=24447&d=1429022473)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on April 22, 2015, 01:50:23 PM
For those that want to fish, take your 14wt rods with you!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on April 23, 2015, 01:50:53 PM
Heres a set of fly's that have worked for me this season. Inspired by the Vaal River. Caddis and Nymph collection. Hope you guys appreciate it  :hehe: :hehe:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: doc on April 23, 2015, 02:16:25 PM
 (clap) (clap) (clap) (clap) AWESOME Gavin
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on April 23, 2015, 05:15:18 PM
Very lekker Gav  :Like:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on April 23, 2015, 05:35:19 PM
Thanks guys  :tkx:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: WalkersKiller on May 02, 2015, 12:03:44 PM
Hit Strome yesterday, had lots of fun, water temp around 17 and the rock snot is in full bloom... Met a friendly guy who must have caught about 30 yellows and muddies on a tan coloured soft hackle which is interesting, I managed to land 1 fish of 1.5kgs, 2 on offs, hooked a few more... My biggest disappointment to date was something that happened in the afternoon. It all went quiet and my indicator stopped for a split second, I struck and felt the weight. I fought the fish for 10 minutes or so until I eventually managed to bring him up. It was a huge Carp, easily 6kgs (I reckon more), and as I got him with feet of the net the hook pulled, I was devastated, but it was amazing to hook a fish that size on my setup and feel the power it has... Maybe next time  :hehe: :carp:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: WalkersKiller on May 02, 2015, 12:37:44 PM
Heres my Yellow...
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on May 02, 2015, 01:49:39 PM
Good going WK we need to hit another sesh soon! (clap) (clap) (clap) Pity about the carp :blush: 
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: WalkersKiller on May 02, 2015, 01:51:50 PM
Good going WK we need to hit another sesh soon! (clap) (clap) (clap) Pity about the carp :blush:
Yeah bro! I know still upset about it, but one day I will land one of them lol.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Williaby on May 07, 2015, 09:49:16 AM
Has anyone seen or heard from Herman lately?
 
Cant get hold of him via SMS or phone and hasnt been on Whatsapp since 15 March...
 
Getting a little concerned
 
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on May 07, 2015, 11:26:01 AM
Has anyone seen or heard from Herman lately?
 
Cant get hold of him via SMS or phone and hasnt been on Whatsapp since 15 March...
 
Getting a little concerned

Bryan his phone number has changed. Amongst other things.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Williaby on May 07, 2015, 11:36:13 AM
SMS'ed you
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on August 19, 2015, 08:04:14 AM
THE CALL OF THE YELLOW is in the air , not long boys , girls , Walks and Homes  :yipee: :happ:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on August 19, 2015, 08:26:36 AM
I'm itching to get on the river  :craz: Water temp is up over the last 3 days, gonna definitely make a plan next month  :corrct:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: WalkersKiller on August 19, 2015, 08:51:57 AM
 :rotfl

Went to a spot Parys side for a mates birthday, tried a bit of fishing, but wasnt the right spot to wade, the Carp were active and I saw a few Yellows jump. So the season is almost here  :rck"
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on August 19, 2015, 09:00:13 AM
Had my best Yellow summer last season . Funny thing was the very 1st Yellow of the season was the biggest , will rather fancy it if that that happens again.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: bassbug on August 19, 2015, 04:14:58 PM
Had my best Yellow summer last season . Funny thing was the very 1st Yellow of the season was the biggest , will rather fancy it if that that happens again.
got to agree Lichia amia, the start of last season was a blast with most catching bigger than average fish, i'm pretty sure this new season will be the same. i'm so ready, with flies all tied up, rod all polished, line all buffed, and cleaned waders
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on August 23, 2015, 09:17:51 PM
Current water temp being released from the Barrage is at 14 degrees already, unreal. But they've dropped the flow to 15 cubes....early season low flows and high temps means one thing: plenty rocksnot!!  swr swr
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: yello helmet on August 24, 2015, 07:43:26 AM
Was in Parys for the Bachelor party this Saturday and Sunday


The rocks are coated with slime.



Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on August 24, 2015, 07:55:53 AM
I think I might do a recce to the river this weekend to check things out... :clwn
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on August 24, 2015, 07:59:34 AM
Yeah let us know what happens, im keen to get the season started!!! :geet
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on August 24, 2015, 08:03:49 AM
Best I start tying some flies  :craz:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: WalkersKiller on August 24, 2015, 09:02:37 AM
I want to make a plan to hit it up this week  :hnthnt:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on August 24, 2015, 09:04:43 AM
Sounds like a plan! :hnthnt:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on August 24, 2015, 09:12:14 AM
Hmmm....sounds like a plan... :hnthnt: :hnthnt:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: WalkersKiller on August 24, 2015, 09:18:47 AM
 :yellow:  :happ: :happ:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: deepblu on September 16, 2015, 11:34:15 AM
DONT know how I missed this thread its going to take me weeks the read all 80 pages. I take it September is the right time of year to target yellows? I got 5-6wt one spool with floating and on with intermediate what is the right setup leaders patterns etc. :tkx:   
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: WalkersKiller on September 16, 2015, 11:57:01 AM
deepblu a 5/6 is perfect with floating line. September and October seems to be a good time to target big Yellows, but you catch them (Smaalmouth) all the way up until April or so before they start moving to deeper pools and calmer waters...
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: deepblu on September 16, 2015, 12:07:11 PM
awesome. what tippets would be good and patterns do u fish this strike indicator ?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on September 16, 2015, 12:16:47 PM
awesome. what tippets would be good and patterns do u fish this strike indicator ?

Mr Deepblu

Uncle Rory done some splendid work on fishing the Vaal on the fly :

http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=510.0 (http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=510.0)

http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=7326.0 (http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=7326.0)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on September 16, 2015, 12:20:54 PM
Have a look at UA member Diamondpooch's web site http://yellowfish.co.za/ (http://yellowfish.co.za/) as well the bloke knows his shyte ......
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: deepblu on September 16, 2015, 01:03:40 PM
thanks for the info lichia. great post there rory. what is a good spot at the moment
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on September 16, 2015, 01:22:54 PM
For a 1st Vaal trip I would recommend Silverstrome , easy to find , easy fishing and not that far from Egoli .
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: deepblu on September 16, 2015, 01:27:32 PM
lekker what the cost. and has anyone tried to catch  :yellow: on soft plastics like peeler crab or something I know we always use to look for small crabs the worked well got smoked plenty times on light gear
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on September 16, 2015, 01:31:19 PM
You looking at +/- 50 bucks for the day at Strome . We only do the fly thing but sure soft plastics could get you a  :yellow: or 2 .

Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: WalkersKiller on September 16, 2015, 01:45:36 PM
Strome is R100 per car per day... I know the guys get largies and even smallmouth Yellowfish on paddletails and minnows, so I am sure a small peeler crab could work!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on September 16, 2015, 02:01:45 PM
Strome is R100 per car per day... I know the guys get largies and even smallmouth Yellowfish on paddletails and minnows, so I am sure a small peeler crab could work!

You only pay R100 at Strome if you smell like Weed and look like Parkour or Skateboarding Junky  :crzy

Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: WalkersKiller on September 16, 2015, 02:03:27 PM
 :lolo: must be just me then  :hyst:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: deepblu on September 16, 2015, 02:58:51 PM
do yellows feed like most other predators early morning and late afternoons what is a good time to target them 
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: WalkersKiller on September 16, 2015, 03:03:08 PM
Late afternoons are great, we have had some of our best success between 11am and 2pm at Strome though, they love the orange hotspot ptn and brassie combo...
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: deepblu on September 23, 2015, 11:12:38 AM
is strome open everyday or only weekends ?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: doc on September 23, 2015, 11:17:26 AM
as far as I know everyday
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: deepblu on September 23, 2015, 03:23:16 PM
 :tkx:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on September 23, 2015, 04:36:45 PM
:tkx:

You free Friday :hnthnt:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: doc on September 25, 2015, 09:01:08 AM
Fished the vaal yesterday just downstream of Parys. On arriving there were muddies spawning in all the shallow glides. I then decided to just fish the deeper runs and try to stay away from the shallows. As always there were a few okes foul hooking spawning muddies. Luckily they got tired of the muddies quickly and went of in search of yellows in the deeper faster water.


Fishing was not cast for cast but the quality of the fish made up for it. Got 2 nice yellows early in the morning in a slow deep drift both in the 1.5kg range. Then got broken of a few times by what I later saw were barbel. Landed one in the 2kg range out of the same pool later.


Got 4 big muddies in the main river and a nice feisty yellow also in the 1.5kg range that took me into my backing 2 times in the main river running down stream.


The day was ended with my pb yellow in the same pool i fished in the morning. I do not know the weight but know it is bigger than 2.3kg.


Best flies were san juan worm and black control flies
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: doc on September 25, 2015, 09:01:57 AM
Pictures of the PB
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Ettienne on September 25, 2015, 10:54:58 AM
 (clap) :cgrts: :happ: Baie mooi vis daardie Martin  :Like:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on September 25, 2015, 02:40:56 PM
Geen babers?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: yello helmet on September 25, 2015, 02:43:06 PM
Lekker man
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: doc on September 25, 2015, 02:43:41 PM
Hulle was daar. Het een geland in jou run van so 2kg die ander het my afgebreek in die plante elke keer
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on September 25, 2015, 03:26:07 PM
Hulle was daar. Het een geland in jou run van so 2kg die ander het my afgebreek in die plante elke keer

Baie lekker!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: WalkersKiller on September 28, 2015, 07:19:52 AM
Awesome Doc, well done!!!!!!!!!  (clap) (clap) (clap) (clap)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on September 28, 2015, 07:29:45 AM
Some very nice fish Doc well done mate  (clap) :geet
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: deepblu on September 28, 2015, 09:16:14 AM
@ homie sorry internet is down at home did see your msg.

@ doc  :envy :cgrts:

fished strome on Friday only to blank damm is frustrating when the yellows turn right next to you and you cant get the bite fish were very active I didn't know where to put the fly. will be going back soon.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on September 28, 2015, 09:20:47 AM
Good fish there Higgens .  :yellow:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: deepblu on September 28, 2015, 12:00:44 PM
can anyone recommend good fly fishing tackle in jhb need to upgrade on the gear
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: deepblu on September 28, 2015, 02:36:43 PM
can anyone recommend good fly fishing tackle in jhb need to upgrade on the gear

 :dunno:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on September 29, 2015, 07:36:56 AM
can anyone recommend good fly fishing tackle in jhb need to upgrade on the gear

 :dunno:

Flyfishers Unlimited
Mias
Angling Pro shop
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on September 29, 2015, 07:52:22 AM
On Sunday Martin/Doc, Homes, Herman and myself fished the morning out towards Vaal de Sioleh in the Vredefort dome past Parys. The venue was very busy, it seems the guys are amped to get onto the river this season. The fishing was slow early morning, I tried the usual lies without much success. Decided to try the very fast deep water channel and it was like someone flicked on the fishing switch. Personally I managed 8 yellows and 5 muddies in the net, lost count of the amount of fish that pulled the hooks and got completely smashed up by 3 busses. 3 of the muddies landed were sizers, easy in the 1.5kg range and one yellow was a good fish, guesstimate about 2kg. Not sure of Martins tally but I could see him upriver into fish all the time. Homes was very rusty and lost plenty fish. Flies that produced for me were the BlingBling Caddis on control and small unweighted Humpy's Favourite on the point. Awesome morning out and a super day to kick off the season, sorry but I didn't have a camera for pics, just one phone pic of breakfast with the boys.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Prego on September 29, 2015, 08:24:40 AM
Nice one Rory, keen to join when I get a gap.  (clap)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on September 29, 2015, 09:04:14 AM
Nice one Rory, keen to join when I get a gap.  (clap)

Cool beans Paulo, I'll keep you in the loop  :corrct:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on September 29, 2015, 09:08:56 AM
Well done Loly and side kicks . Nice start to the season . Think this might just be the season Homes finally learns to fish  w;k :crzy
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: deepblu on September 29, 2015, 09:43:57 AM
 :tkx: Rory rods and reels whats good brand to go with
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on September 29, 2015, 10:11:48 AM
:tkx: Rory rods and reels whats good brand to go with

Not Rory , but the nice thing about the Vaal is you don't need top end gear.

Most 5wt rods from entry level , a reel that can hold 50m backing a 5wt floating line will do.

Have a look at the Xplorer classic 2 and Stealth Bomber range . 9ft rod will do but a 10ft rod gives you that little extra reach .

My 2 Zim Dollars
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on September 29, 2015, 10:14:43 AM
PS: have a look here http://www.alloutangling.co.za/Rods-40 (http://www.alloutangling.co.za/Rods-40)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on September 29, 2015, 10:33:30 AM
:tkx: Rory rods and reels whats good brand to go with

you join us for an outing, you will get a feel for the gear we use and I am sure that between the lot of us we will be able lend you an "old reed with some twine"
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: deepblu on September 29, 2015, 04:45:29 PM
thanks LA looks like a while stocked shop

IC my current setup is 5/6 wt but im battling to get distance and accurate cast I know with nymphing long cast is not needed but I couldn't get the cast on the fish spotted a bit further away had to put a lot of effort into the cast without it going the distance  :dunno:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on September 29, 2015, 08:25:54 PM
Do t worry about casting to jumping fish....
Rather concentrate on fishing the right areas, getting your flies in the zone and drivting the flies just right.

99.99999% of all the fish you will catch at the vaal is no more than a leader length away from you !
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: doc on October 12, 2015, 08:49:29 AM
Fished the vaal yesterday with Rory and Christo just downstream from Parys. The normally quiet venue was chaos with at least 20 anglers on the water. Halve of which were walking the rapid fishing bait downstream. So in between dodging sinkers and river rafters good fish was caught. Christo only caught 3 fish but 3 beast yellows me and Rory caught our fair share with some big muddies in between.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: doc on October 12, 2015, 08:51:40 AM
Here is a photo of Christo first fish. I was a bit far upstream
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on October 12, 2015, 09:05:54 AM
sheeesh some monsters there !!!

Well done chaps !
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on October 12, 2015, 09:07:08 AM
Well done Ladies  (clap)


Never lekker fishing in the masses.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Hooch on October 12, 2015, 11:35:06 AM
1
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on October 12, 2015, 11:46:19 AM
Isnt that the fish Doc caught that you are holding in pic , Mr Hooch ?  :crzy
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Hooch on October 12, 2015, 11:56:17 AM
Touché Kallie. Caught red handed. :blush:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Zetti on October 12, 2015, 12:24:23 PM
Touché Kallie. Caught red handed. :blush:

You mean yellow handed
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Hooch on October 12, 2015, 12:33:55 PM
Touché Kallie. Caught red handed. :blush:
You mean yellow handed
Net so Adolf :hehe:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on October 13, 2015, 08:57:41 AM
Thanks for the fishing session chasps, as Martin said despite the carnage around us the fishing was good. Ettienne, Christo and myself were each taken out by an inflatable occupied by novice river rafters...to say the air was blue from choice expletive profanities would be a rather large understatement. I think somewhere there are still some ears burning  :corrct:

The good fishing on the Vaal continues as could be seen by the amount of people fishing, the venue we fished was just simply overcrowded. We started downstream from all the other guys in the waist to chest deep water and were into fish almost immediately. Flies that produced for me were BlingBling on the control and either unweighted Humpys Favourite or a Mustard caddis on the point or dropper. Well done to Hoochie for christening his new flyrod in style, and Martin's bus of a muddie, that's one of the biggest muddies I've seen anywhere period!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Hooch on October 26, 2015, 08:22:00 AM
So myself and ET fished spot X very close to Vaal Hackle yesterday. Three weeks ago we fished the same venue and it were carnidge. So you can just imagine the joy arriving at the spot, and you are the only one there! Absolute Bliss.
Total tally for the day were 3 Yellows, 2 Muddies and a Barbel. ET fished his Tenkara and managed a Barbel and a Muddy before a bus Yellow snapped his rod.
Pictures to follow.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Hooch on October 26, 2015, 11:21:12 AM
1
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Homie on October 26, 2015, 11:24:04 AM
Thats a beaut of a yellow ! well done !
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rory on October 26, 2015, 11:26:56 AM
Super fish!! (clap)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: WalkersKiller on October 26, 2015, 11:45:16 AM
Very nice  :envy
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Hooch on October 26, 2015, 06:18:01 PM
 Please ID? ET caught this in the shalows yesterday on fly.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: WalkersKiller on October 26, 2015, 06:26:35 PM
Southern Mouthbrooder (Dwarf Kurper), awesome little fish!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: doc on October 26, 2015, 06:28:57 PM
Nicely done Hooch and ET
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on October 27, 2015, 05:56:35 PM
Some good fish coming out lately!!! What fly's are working for who? :hnthnt:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on December 08, 2015, 10:32:50 AM
Way to quiet here !!!!

Season is in full swing , what's your fishing been like on the Vaal ?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: bassbug on December 10, 2015, 08:23:05 AM
fished silver streams yesterday from 10am to 3pm. only saw one other flyer (youngster) and few conventional fisherman. flow rate looked to be about 20 odd cubes compared to the usual 15 and water clarity about 50 to 60cm. caught plenty nice yellows with the biggest being 2,6kg. two carp and the biggest scaled at 4,8kg. 8 muddies and the biggest was 1,6kg. saw a few grass carp eating off the surface in the stream in between both islands and refused to cast to these because those puppies looked well  over 8kg mark. the barbles stayed away, thank goodness.
the pattern for catching the bigger yellows yesterday was to find the carp in the rapids and work the water around them. the hot spot fly did all the damage.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: WalkersKiller on December 10, 2015, 08:43:04 AM
Well done bassbug! Any pics?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: bassbug on December 10, 2015, 09:25:17 AM
sorry WalkersKiller, i'm one of those old school boys with an minimalist beleive, the best i can do is invite you guys to fish, just say when
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on December 10, 2015, 09:29:47 AM
fished silver streams yesterday from 10am to 3pm. only saw one other flyer (youngster) and few conventional fisherman. flow rate looked to be about 20 odd cubes compared to the usual 15 and water clarity about 50 to 60cm. caught plenty nice yellows with the biggest being 2,6kg. two carp and the biggest scaled at 4,8kg. 8 muddies and the biggest was 1,6kg. saw a few grass carp eating off the surface in the stream in between both islands and refused to cast to these because those puppies looked well  over 8kg mark. the barbles stayed away, thank goodness.
the pattern for catching the bigger yellows yesterday was to find the carp in the rapids and work the water around them. the hot spot fly did all the damage.

Thanks for the feed back . Which area did you fish ? Had some good results lately at the top double set of rapids on the Free State side just before Yellow Fish paradise .
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: WalkersKiller on December 10, 2015, 09:34:07 AM
Thanks bru!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: bassbug on December 10, 2015, 09:50:23 AM
started off by fishing the pool in front of the main house, near the middle where those big rocks split the current, here i caught most of the muddies and few small yellows. then moved downstream and fished the willow just before the tribuatry, here i caught some nice yellows weighing 1,2 to 1,6kg mark. then moved downstream and fished the last set of rapids where both rivers meet, from here to the last set of rapids on the free state side is where it kept very busy, so busy that my arm ache but couldnt give up. that last rapid of the free state side just before the tail end of island is where the big boys came out. then i proceed to venture upstream catching some nice yellows here and there before turning into the feeder stream, popped over the big island finding a gillnet twisted around a fallen branch from (proberbly) a last high flow, so it seemed to be, next time i'll take knife and fix it proper for the owner to admire the crafty work. climbed off the water for some coca cola and head home with a smile as long as my 10 foot streamflex rod. chucks, tomorrow gents?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on December 10, 2015, 09:53:56 AM
started off by fishing the pool in front of the main house, near the middle where those big rocks split the current, here i caught most of the muddies and few small yellows. then moved downstream and fished the willow just before the tribuatry, here i caught some nice yellows weighing 1,2 to 1,6kg mark. then moved downstream and fished the last set of rapids where both rivers meet, from here to the last set of rapids on the free state side is where it kept very busy, so busy that my arm ache but couldnt give up. that last rapid of the free state side just before the tail end of island is where the big boys came out. then i proceed to venture upstream catching some nice yellows here and there before turning into the feeder stream, popped over the big island finding a gillnet twisted around a fallen branch from (proberbly) a last high flow, so it seemed to be, next time i'll take knife and fix it proper for the owner to admire the crafty work. climbed off the water for some coca cola and head home with a smile as long as my 10 foot streamflex rod. chucks, tomorrow gents?

 :Like:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: WalkersKiller on December 10, 2015, 09:57:04 AM
Awesome info, thanks bru! Love Silwerstrome, but havent even had a gap to fish this season at all...  :cry:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: bassbug on December 10, 2015, 10:00:32 AM
eish, that sucks bud, maybe try postoning meetings, cancelling, phone in sick or simply bunk.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: WalkersKiller on December 10, 2015, 10:02:28 AM
 :hehe: :hehe: if wishes came true bru...
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: bassbug on December 13, 2015, 11:32:12 PM
found it
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: bassbug on December 13, 2015, 11:36:29 PM
then cooked it
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: bassbug on December 13, 2015, 11:43:54 PM
then went fishing, biggest fish was a muddie of 2,4kg

Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: colin on December 14, 2015, 05:50:12 AM
[quote author=bassbug link=topic
then cooked it

 :win: :tkx: :cgrts: well done :toppie:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Nooduck on December 14, 2015, 06:16:44 AM
then cooked it
:+ cred:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: John F on December 14, 2015, 07:08:06 AM
found it

Was this a "ghost" net? Why remove/burn?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: bassbug on December 14, 2015, 07:51:13 AM
found it

Was this a "ghost" net? Why remove/burn?
i'm a little baffled why one would call a gill net a ghost (please explain), but it did haunt me until i returned on friday and felt alot better when i burnt it (i think the fish gods are happy)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: John F on December 14, 2015, 07:55:33 AM
"Ghost" Fishing (and in this case ghost net) is a term used in fisheries sciences / management to designate lost/abandoned fishing gear that carry on catching fish efficiently and indiscriminately
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Lichia amia on December 14, 2015, 08:16:33 AM
then cooked it

Mooi man  :+ cred:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: bassbug on December 14, 2015, 09:02:44 AM
thanks John F for explaining ghost fishing. the net i found was made with hand shaped polystyrene and 2.5mm electrical cabling. it did not look like a tool used by scientists but if it was, they should not leave it laying hidden in a island on top of a laying dead branch where other animals could easily get caught in it or for a subsistance fisherman to get their hands on it. the scientist are most welcome to call me to fill in the space of their missing net, on o83 3oeight777eight, i'll be more than happy to catch them fish using my fly rod.
recently on fb, the police and other members of the public removed a lot of gill nets, chucks hope none of them belonged to the scientist.
 
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: WalkersKiller on January 21, 2016, 11:09:40 AM
Whats been happening guys? Anyone been fishing lately?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: WalkersKiller on January 28, 2016, 08:42:55 AM
Went to the river on Sunday, water was pumping and the weather wasnt great, we only managed Muddies, and this little guy was the only one caught close to the mouth lol. Others all foul hooked.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: WalkersKiller on June 06, 2016, 05:00:14 PM
Been very long since someone posted an update  (bat
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on June 06, 2016, 06:56:25 PM
That's a good point (bat
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: WalkersKiller on September 07, 2016, 09:42:19 AM
Went to Silwerstrome on Sat for a few hours, Jason managed a Carp on fly, and lost a yellow, a grass carp and a few other commons... I managed a 6kg Common Carp...

Its warming up so we are going for some Yellows this weekend!  :happ:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on September 07, 2016, 01:42:26 PM
Nicely done guys!!!  (clap)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: REEFMAN on September 07, 2016, 02:10:47 PM
 :win: Some great catches!!  (clap)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: WalkersKiller on September 07, 2016, 02:47:52 PM
Thanks guys  :-)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: dugong on September 07, 2016, 02:56:57 PM
 :cgrts: :rck"
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: WalkersKiller on September 08, 2016, 07:40:43 AM
Thanks bru, might sound weird compared to some of the fish I have caught, but that Carp gave me one of the best fights I have ever had!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: John F on September 08, 2016, 07:55:25 AM
Congrats Walks... nice fish there. On a side note, how long since your last saltwater fishing trip? You need to go back to the salt mate
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: WalkersKiller on September 08, 2016, 08:07:49 AM
Thanks Marcos!

Bru its been terrible! Lots proper saltwater fishing trip was November last year, was at the coast for a bit in December, but didnt get much of a chance to fish and the only decent fish I caught were flipping Kurper!

Craving the ocean.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: DownUnder on September 08, 2016, 12:35:35 PM
Silwestrome! Cant believe that place is still going! River looks low though.. very low.

Man I can tell you some stories of that place!
Caught my pb barbel, pb smallmouth and pb largie there. Saw a largemouth yellow jump clear out of the water there once.. as long as I am tall!!
Spent a freezing July night there kuiering with mates and ou bruin skoene. Nothing was biting so at 1am they pulled the line on one of my night hawks (only fished night hawks in those days). Grumpy as I reset the line and 2.30am it roared off! **** off I shouted at them only to realize they were both asleep! pb largie at 5kg was the result. 
Had an 18kg barbel on carp head and 9kg line. River was high and the fight was intense. Chased after it in my canoe!
Speaking of high rivers I rescued a guy there once who was caught in the current. He decided to chase a fish and jumped in the water when the river was in flood! Nearly tickets he was.

Speaking of floods we camped tight up to the river one night and woke up with our feet in the water! Yes the river was rising rapidly!
Got caught with my mate in a 'wolkbreuk' storm once and got clobbered by large hailstones. We tipped the canoe upside down and hid underneath!
The best memory I have is sitting half submerged in the water on a hot summers day as the sun is going down and hearing that beautiful night hawk sound as the yellows go crazy!

What a place and I think of it often.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: WalkersKiller on September 08, 2016, 12:37:49 PM
Its still going strong and is my favourite venue... Water was extremely low...

Some amazing stories and memories there, thanks for sharing them  :+ cred:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on September 11, 2016, 12:49:33 PM
The temps are slowly climbing, around 15.4 at the moment. 18 is the magical mark, but 16 is fishable.
The flows are very low at 10, ( Vaal Dam only 32% ).
Went out 2 weeks ago to Erina, water around 14, visibility was very poor, and already plenty of rock snot around.
Unless we have mega rain in Gauteng in the next two weeks, there is no chance of a "flush" of the river, so be prepared for skinny water with plenty of rock snot, as the water warms up it's going to get worse.

BTW, WTF has happened to the water from the Lesotho Highlands Water scheme ? There is none going into the Vaal . :unhap :unhap :dunno:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: bassbug on September 11, 2016, 11:26:58 PM
WTF has happened to the water from the Lesotho Highlands Water scheme ? There is none going into the Vaal . :unhap :unhap :dunno:

good question, maybe they two affected by drought, come to think of it, the ash should be fishable along its full length  :hnthnt:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: icstuff on September 12, 2016, 08:55:59 AM
WTF has happened to the water from the Lesotho Highlands Water scheme ? There is none going into the Vaal . :unhap :unhap :dunno:

good question, maybe they two affected by drought, come to think of it, the ash should be fishable along its full length  :hnthnt:

Phase 1 of the highland scheme is a reserve for 2 year. This is the third year of the drought...
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on September 19, 2016, 07:07:01 PM
Went to all venue between Parys and Potch on Sunday.
Water temp 14 , air temp 7.
Managed an hour from 7 to 8 before I couldn't feel my fingers or toes.
Got 3 muddies though, biggest around 1.5 kg.
Trusty black nymph again.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on September 19, 2016, 07:36:01 PM
This weather system that hit this weekend was horrendous im surprised you got anything well done Herman  (clap)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: WalkersKiller on September 20, 2016, 06:55:57 AM
Nice Herman, thanks for the update! Itching to get back out there where when I finally get a gap.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on September 20, 2016, 07:07:46 AM
Thanks guys.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Ettienne on September 20, 2016, 12:16:10 PM
Well done Herman. Pissistance pays off.  :-) :fshn:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: WalkersKiller on September 26, 2016, 04:58:59 PM
Gavin went to Geelvis Paradise for the weekend... Fishing was slow but he managed some fish. The Brassie was working.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Herman Jooste on October 16, 2016, 01:11:07 PM
 :geet Very,  very nice indeed.
Well done that man.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: bassbug on October 26, 2016, 08:26:29 PM
saturday 22/10, woke up late for a planed bass session. vinho,an old pal of my was to blame. gathered me fly stuff and spead off to strydoms.
set the rod up with a 45 foot long french leader, normally i use my czech nymph style but need to expand on options. wee wee, casting the was difficult and got the hang of it quickly, actually had too, the need to land a fish was at  an all time high. found a nice section in the first channel in front of the car park, giving me some nice fish to play with. biggest was 3.1kg and plenty of 2+kg.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: WalkersKiller on October 27, 2016, 07:39:59 AM
Awesome stuff!!!! Nice fish there bru  :win:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: bassbug on October 27, 2016, 03:56:40 PM
thanks WalkersKiller, just sorry i could take decent pics, and always prefer to release asap with less handling as possible. the 3,1 gave me an extended fight and left me on the rocks with a smile from one ear to the other (i should of taken a pic of my face for laughs)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: WalkersKiller on October 27, 2016, 04:02:13 PM
No worries, the quicker the release the better, at least you managed some shots. I need to hook into a 3kg this season.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: gavin erwin on October 28, 2016, 07:58:19 AM
Got some nice yellows and muddies yesterday at Vaal Hackle. 5yellows biggest 2.1kgs and 2 huge muddies. Flys that worked was Mustard Caddis and Hotspot. w;k
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: WalkersKiller on October 28, 2016, 10:26:50 AM
YES BOY!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: bassbug on April 19, 2017, 02:48:27 PM
after reading thru this thread, I'M GOING
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: bassbug on April 23, 2017, 01:23:19 PM
yesterday, saturday, i  gave strydoms a go. after a late arrival (about 9'ish), i walked the shore to  see conditions before getting dressed for the occasion. water viz about 30 to  35cm (measured with eye), water temp 20deg, air temp 18deg, the flow guessed around  23 to 25 cubes, clear blue skies with a very light breeze. saw no rises except  for a couple of red coloured tails sticking out the water in small tailing  water. the only visual insect life i saw was of those tiny adult caddis  disturbed on land. i know knew it was gonna be a tuffest day thus far for the year  as i got ready. my main aim was to practice the long french leader with a dry  fly, mainly the casting side of it so wasnt considering numbers of fish landed  but rather perfecting the cast.
So, all ready now, I set  off to the bottom pool first. The fly choice as a small #18 cdc & elk in  light brown colour. In the tail of the first stream I saw two carp and  suspected a yellow from a flash. Positioned myself for a cast and started  fishing, no interest in the fly. Changed to emerging pattern and nothing after  a few casts, changed to spent mayfly pattern and again no interest from the  fish. said to myself while looking into the dry fly box, “put a nymph dude”, i  did. #16 black mayfly with 2,5mm gold bead on a jig hook, first cast, fish on. A  lekka extended fight from a 2 pounder, landed, thank it and the lord, took a  pic, cleaned the stinky net and waded to the main channel. Next cast, was aimed  directly behind a big rock, fish on. It bolted into the current, the rod shook  like as if I had a gt on the line, you know those head shakes, then I darned on  me, aaah tail hooked. With some side pressure I managed to pull it into quite  water and not far from me the fish came to surface showing it’s credentials,  tail hooked and muddy by id. Netted and released quickly with a word of advice “stay  away”.
After that muddy, I decided  to go back to the dry fly and this time with a dropper to double my chances. Choice  was #16 klink on the dry and #16 pale grhe on the point. With the rig set I waded  to the free state side. I searched like a sniper for any signs of fish and only  saw carp (carp flyers would be in heaven). The shallows above the main island  normally holds a good number muddies and yellows was like desert. A few too  many cormorants were spotted, drying the feathers and I whispered,” I see you  fat, ate all the fish ”.
After a lengthy wade without  a single cast i reached the main run on the far side, hello free state. Noticed  two flyers czeching downstream from me but what got I attention was a flash in front  of me. Too deep for the dropper and i made mends to extend the dropper. With a  good distance upstream my rig landed to allow the light dropper enough time to  reach the bottom or somewhere near it. The dry drifted past over the fish, then  a few moments later the klink disappeared under and I struck, fish on, my heart  pumped fast, I guess from making the right decision before casting. Net landed  and released when my eye was caught by the sight of an impala chewing a tree on the  far bank, in close to the waters edge, then, from the forest of trees about 15  meters above the impala, this dude appeared like a ghost, obviously the impala  was spooked and darted away. This dude made a single cast and was into a good  fish, good, at least a knew the fish were in the area I intended to fish with  the dry. This piece of water is just below the cascades and conducive for dry  flying with some decent fish readily do take a dry. This dude, after releasing his  good fish, moved away that area and headed towards the main run of the cascade  and without any delay I started to make my way to that spot to hug it for  myself. On my way there, this dude, now notably of good age with his all white moustache  made a  another cast and was on again. Obvious  this guy knew what he was doing, until this fish made a proper run upstream into the  cascades. Power, pure power and I knew this was no ordinary fish. I saw the  dorsal fin from where I was wading and knew this one needed my help landing, so  I turned my steering wheel and headed straight towards the white moustache. This  toppy handled the fish like a pro, didn’t allow the fish to have an upper hand during this fight. What must of looked like a long fight, the fish was landed in the net in no time, long before I could be in reach to assist, revealed itself to be a  good size largemouth yellow. Estimated to be 5 kg +, this guy’s smile reach  both banks, free state and Gauteng, I promptly congratulated him on his  catch and asked if I could take a pic. He agreed as he didn’t have his cell  with. I pulled the camera out and took a pic while this guy positioned the  massive fish under his arm to remove the hook for the photo shoot. Yes, I thought  so too, don’t do that, you will lose the fish boet, but this guy looked like a seasoned  pro in his ways and was managing well until, yes, the fish gave a single swipe  from his massive tail, the fish slipped thru the arm grip and landed in the  water, gone! Like a pro, this guy was still happy unlike most of us that would  scream, cry, rod slap the water or even fold the rod in half, he remained calm  and collected. His behaviour remain the same,” cool”, even after me telling a  had a pic of him. We exchanged names with a hand shake, “hi my is Colin”. Now up  close and in person, my thoughts were of a familiar figure from the movies,  Sean Connery, no jokes, Colin looked like Sean. Apparently he is an old salt  fisherman and presently fishes or fished the vet team and fishes with the likes  of mr Wareham and others. I whatsapp his pic, said the good-byes and headed to  my spot for the bit of dry fly.
The dry fly fishing went  well with a fish here and there, mainly taking the dropper and not the dry. This  one fish, have to mention it, was my fish for the day. Not big in size but  rather big in heart. Found this yellow, a tad short of 2 pounds, actively  darting around in a small area as if it was looking for a lost treasure. Difficult  to cast to because it was there then appeared from another spot. I must of thrown about thirty casts, no jokes, until the klink sunk from being pulled by the  dropper. a good fight pursued until it was net landed and noticed the  following, both dry and nymph embedded next to each other on the side of the  upper lip, the mouth of the fish was deformed, probably from another hook up  some time ago, the mouth wouldn’t open much more as seen in the pic provided  below. I felt sorry for it but was happy it was doing well from its injury. So guys,  please de-barb them hooks and gently handle the fish for release.
I caught several fish for  the day compared to previous outings and I can say winter tactics need to be  implemented in the coming weeks. I personally think this winter hunt will be  difficult if the high’ish flows continue but all worth it.
Good luck tight lines and thanks  for reading.

first pic - first yellow on jig : second pic - Colin before loosing the fish : third pic - fish of the day
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Visenvryheid on April 23, 2017, 06:45:52 PM
Awesome write-up, sounds like you had a blast!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: colin on April 23, 2017, 08:02:22 PM
 :tkx: great report :toppie:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: bassbug on April 23, 2017, 09:56:24 PM
thanks VisenVryheid, did have a blast, any topwater does it for me
hey Colin, tell me, are you another Colin or the Colin i met on the water?
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: colin on April 24, 2017, 06:35:14 AM
 :lolo:  that guy catches fish . I feed them . :toppie:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: REEFMAN on April 24, 2017, 07:02:26 AM
Great stuff Bassbug!  :+ cred:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: WalkersKiller on April 24, 2017, 10:01:21 AM
Awesome report, wish I could have joined you. I have caught one Mudfish this "season", and a 6/7kg Carp, and thats as far as my Vaal River fishing has gone for a while. No time, too much work and limited budget  duh :rotfl
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: bassbug on April 24, 2017, 04:14:32 PM
WalkersKiller, 2 words: "that's why we forum"
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: WalkersKiller on April 24, 2017, 07:16:15 PM
WalkersKiller, 2 words: "that's why we forum"
:uarocks I agree bru!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: LGF on April 24, 2017, 07:40:23 PM
We get bigger fish on the forum than at the water too :happ:
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: WalkersKiller on April 25, 2017, 07:39:30 AM
We get bigger fish on the forum than at the water too :happ:
Haha thats true!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: bassbug on January 10, 2018, 11:43:15 AM
this past sunday i did an afternoon fly session at strydom's. flows were about 25 with good clarity. started with nymphing "on the go" from gauteng to the free state, took about an hour and in that time a mixed bag of small carp, barble, muddies and a single moggel (nice). once the free state bank was reached i tried to land some hefty carps, the hook ups were pretty easy but the pure brute pulling power left me building new rigs everytime. after licking my wounds i turned towards gauteng and noticed a few tell signs of rising fish. changed to dry fly faster than one can click fingers and baam, no, kaboom, i was into fish faster than i could release them :craz: .
flies that did the deed from the start was the #16 black adams with #20 black ant on the dropper (about 30cm away)
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: WalkersKiller on January 10, 2018, 01:08:29 PM
Thats awesome!

Went to Vaal Hackle this weekend, didnt have much luck, foul hooked some muddies and a mate of mine got an 11kg Barbel on a PTN.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: bassbug on January 10, 2018, 03:09:18 PM
sorry you didnt have such a great day WK, next time boet.
forgot to mention, some yellows passed some milk onto me, yaks! didnt see any mommies but signs of another spawn coming
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: WalkersKiller on January 10, 2018, 03:45:56 PM
Ag it happens...

Thats very interesting...
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: bassbug on January 19, 2018, 05:17:05 PM
Not a updated but a prediction for tomorrow
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: WalkersKiller on January 20, 2018, 10:01:25 AM
Let us know how it goes!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: bassbug on January 21, 2018, 03:44:08 PM
main plan was to introduce a new bud to the vaal, though he has some flying experience, has nothing on the vaal hunt. silversteams was the obvious choice, easy wading for the yellow newbie. upon arrival, a quick glace at the water, plus minus 20 cubes, viz not the best about 35, few splash rises, some dudes fishing the last pool in front of venue gave us tell tail of muddies about. set the rods, and damn, this new guy has good taste in rods, sage one 9 ft #5, immediately though i'd have a hard time doing a rescue if need came, help the guy or his rod  :craz:
on the water, i quickly corrected his casting technique and soon after that we were fishing seriously. found the san juan fly doing the damage, landing a couple of fish pretty early. the newbie got bust by something huge, you know that "hit and run" incident, so fast that the tippet has no change but to scream BUSTED. average size were around 800 to 1,2 kilo, and between us we landed a half dozen fish. with other commitments he had to leave the water at noon and i continued to fish. changed over to dry and dopper (ant), worked a sweat maybe several looking for any takers before changing to a mono rig and keeing the ant on the point, landed a few more smalls ones from here and there, the dissapointing thing was watching hundreds of fish flashing their flankes everywhere and not hooking them, so fustrating at times i tell you, blood boiling the sun not helping when i bumped into Colin. Colin is that guy i wrote about a while back, caught that massive largie at the cascades. he first called me by joe, i said "huh, not george or louis but rui!" he laughed and said at least he has a name to add to the saved number on his cell, :hehe: .
Colin's choice of fly was the pink ptn, i had no such fly in my box but a single pink beaded caddis larvae initation. removed the tired ant at the point and replaced it with the pinky. a few more casts later, found my self upstream of a fallen willow tree. casting just above it and allowing most of the leader to swing under the tree, i was picking up a few enquiries, now armed with "the quick set arm" i cast again, tap, set that hook so fast and so hard and side pressure on the red limiter and.... SNAP  duh , realised a should of changed to heavier leader for such fishing, next time fish, play nicely and i want my pink beaded caddis back :hnthnt:
now about 3 something in the afternoon and hydration setting in, i decided to walk over to the now very hot bakkie and head home.
not the greatest day fishing but i'll bank it.



Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: WalkersKiller on January 22, 2018, 07:47:55 AM
 :happ: :happ: very nice report!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Monster on January 28, 2018, 11:06:48 AM
Hi, Gents.

Where is a nice place to camp for the family and a good place to fish for me? w;k
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: WalkersKiller on January 29, 2018, 09:29:44 AM
Silwerstroom and Geelvis Paradys are probably the best options for family camping...

There are cheap chalets at Vaal Hackle though.
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Monster on January 30, 2018, 12:40:16 PM
Thank you!!
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: WalkersKiller on January 30, 2018, 12:50:07 PM
 w;k
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: deepblu on October 21, 2019, 03:11:59 PM
hi guys see thiss page abit quiet . hows things looking on vaal man wish i could get on the water before rains come and pollution gets into river with all the rains . any spot close to jhb i dont enjoy silver stroom anymore last time i was there the venue next doo played louded musics guys came over the fence from that side drunk and stole things from campers  :cnfzd
Title: Re: Vaal River Update
Post by: Rustytrombone on October 30, 2019, 09:28:52 AM
deepblu. Vaal is fishing very good at this stage. Venues away toward Parys seems to be cleaner than towards Joburg. I think the rain will be a good thing as it will motivate the fish to spawn and it will clear out all the current crap that has been stagnant in the river up to this point. I would get on the river but it is a personal choice. I hear of oakes getting sick but I have personally never had any issues. I just refrain from putting the rod in my mouth when taking photos.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal