Author Topic: Vaal River Update  (Read 566763 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2010, 07:15:46 PM »
See you guys at Strydoms on Sunday.  :tkx:
With the weather as it is I may even wet wade. :shk
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline schloshd1

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 278
  • Cred: 31
  • Location: Kelvin, Jozi
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2010, 08:22:20 PM »
Nice one! See you guys there
I'm a weekend drinker, I start on Saturday and end on Friday - Bill Hicks

Offline icstuff

  • The Ultimate Clown
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1105
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • It's the Water's fault!
  • Location: Meyerton
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2010, 08:11:07 AM »
Rory and anyone else that's keen to join, I'll be fishing at Strydom's on Sunday. Herman, why don't you do a short drift downstream and join us, you won't be able to hear the Blackberry ring from Yellow Beach  w;k

Louis, better luck next time. At least it got you out of the big smoke for a weekend.

I would like to join as well, where is Strydom's?
Squid Happens!

Offline schloshd1

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 278
  • Cred: 31
  • Location: Kelvin, Jozi
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2010, 08:27:46 AM »
I would like to join as well, where is Strydom's?

cool, it's between Yellowfish Paradise and Silwerstrome
I'm a weekend drinker, I start on Saturday and end on Friday - Bill Hicks

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2010, 04:38:20 PM »
See you guys at Strydoms on Sunday........

I would like to join as well, where is Strydom's?......

Pieter, drop Herman a PM, he also lives in Vanderbijl, I'm sure he won't mind if you follow him to the venue on Sunday morning. :idea:

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2010, 08:47:41 PM »
Pieter, drop Herman a PM, he also lives in Vanderbijl, I'm sure he won't mind if you follow him to the venue on Sunday morning. :idea:

PM sent to Pieter.
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline schloshd1

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 278
  • Cred: 31
  • Location: Kelvin, Jozi
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2010, 02:57:31 PM »
A group of us (Herman J, Pieter, Rory, Adrian, Graham and myself) fished the Vaal this morning. The river is looking good, loads of insect life. There were plenty of tan coloured caddis under all the rocks as well as black mayfly nymphs. Rory measured the water temperature at 16c. Everybody hooked at least one fish , but not all of them were landed. Rory got a really good yellow within 5 minutes of being on the water.
Thanks guys for a great morning on the river, I'm looking forward to spending a lot more time on the Vaal this summer
I'm a weekend drinker, I start on Saturday and end on Friday - Bill Hicks

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2010, 05:28:10 PM »
Thanks for a good morning guys, super stuff.  w;k The water is definately a lot wamer below the barrage, and as Andrew said the goggas are going nuts. There were caddis and mayflies hatching the whole morning. The fish have started feeding and it looks like the floods from earlier in the year haven't drastically altered much. Some pics:
1. Graham fishing a nice run
2. Herman with a nice fat muddie

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2010, 05:38:27 PM »
Yup, thanks to all. It was indeed a great morning out.

Pieter, well done on not seeing your @rse on your first Vaal trip, and without a wading stick noggal. (clap), however as we said this morning, " There's only 2 types of f/f who fish the Vaal. those who have fallen, and those who WILL fall. :hehe:

Another GREAT morning . Thanks again Guys. :happ:
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2010, 05:58:48 PM »
I had to smile in disbelief though. After Rory had taken the pic of the muddy, we both had to answer a call from his "Blackberry" .

Whilst he was wading up to me he was flicking his flies in front of him, ( as we are wont to do ) to ensure they don't get snagged on rocks.

When he was within Blackberry arms length, he flicked out another cast. As he was about to tuck the rod under his arm, it was SCREEEEECCCHHH,  POP.  :shk

12 ib leader in sy moer in.  :shk We both spent around 5 minutes looking for the strike indicator, because on the end of that leader was a helluve fish. :sadd
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline icstuff

  • The Ultimate Clown
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1105
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • It's the Water's fault!
  • Location: Meyerton
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2010, 08:10:01 AM »
Just have to say that I really enjoyed the morning and thank you for all your help!
Squid Happens!

Offline AdrianPowrie

  • I distrust camel's and anything else that can go a week without a drink... ~Rols~
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 17
  • Cred: 0
  • Location: Alberton/Gauteng
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2010, 09:56:14 AM »
Thanks guys!
As usal a great morning out!

I finally managed to open the season with a decent Yellow when we went back in!
Didnt get any pics though as Graham was into a arse hooked muddy wilst I was trying not to get brokken off...

And a huge thanks to the Drayman's delivery! True scholar and gentleman!! :resp:
Regards                                                              Adrian

Offline schloshd1

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 278
  • Cred: 31
  • Location: Kelvin, Jozi
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2010, 07:22:56 PM »
Thanks guys!
As usal a great morning out!

I finally managed to open the season with a decent Yellow when we went back in!
Didnt get any pics though as Graham was into a arse hooked muddy wilst I was trying not to get brokken off...

And a huge thanks to the Drayman's delivery! True scholar and gentleman!! :resp:

Well done on the yellow, what did you get it on?
I'm a weekend drinker, I start on Saturday and end on Friday - Bill Hicks

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2010, 09:14:43 PM »
Guys, we are going back to Strydom's on Sunday.  w;k
Anyone and everyone is welcome.
Between all the reprobates coming there will be enough "spare" rigs for those who want to try f/f the Vaal for the first time.
If you are intersted, PM either, Rory, SA Gixer, SchlossD1, Chris Williams, or myself.

If you can believe Rory, the "GEES" at these Vaal trippies, nearly reaches the same levels as the UA, social ones. :happ: :thmsup"
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline icstuff

  • The Ultimate Clown
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1105
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • It's the Water's fault!
  • Location: Meyerton
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2010, 02:00:03 PM »
Guys, we are going back to Strydom's on Sunday.  w;k
Anyone and everyone is welcome.
Between all the reprobates coming there will be enough "spare" rigs for those who want to try f/f the Vaal for the first time.
If you are intersted, PM either, Rory, SA Gixer, SchlossD1, Chris Williams, or myself.

If you can believe Rory, the "GEES" at these Vaal trippies, nearly reaches the same levels as the UA, social ones. :happ: :thmsup"

Wont make it this week end sorry chaps :(
Squid Happens!

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2010, 08:50:58 AM »
Another great day on the Vaal, thanks to the guys who were there. I measured the water at 17 degrees early in the morning, vis was about 30cm. There caddis flies are still going ape, there were plenty hatching the whole day, but no mayflies this time. I hooked a sizer muddie that led me a merry dance around the rapids, the fish are in excellent condition and as fat as butter. The small flies are still producing, my top fly being a small off white caddis larva, size 18. Chris and Herman both had their first "Vaal Shuffles" for the year and  I managed to come a cropper on the rocks, my waders definately saving me a couple of stitches. The session also doubled as a get together for the Stithians Flyfishers, well organised by Chris. Herman took lots more pics, I'm sure he'll post some later.

Offline shagnrelease

  • Banned
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2010, 09:01:57 AM »
nice one gents!! I am going to have to make a plan for a vaal trip with you lads!

Offline AdrianPowrie

  • I distrust camel's and anything else that can go a week without a drink... ~Rols~
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 17
  • Cred: 0
  • Location: Alberton/Gauteng
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2010, 09:06:08 AM »
Looks to have been a great morning out!

Damn Sorry I missed it! Spent the day looking at venues for a B/Day party... :unhap
Did you get yor fish in the front run again?
Regards                                                              Adrian

Offline Capt. Hook

  • Official ball thrower for my dog
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3140
  • Cred: 338
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2010, 09:10:10 AM »
Have not fished there for a long while. I must do it again.

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2010, 09:13:25 AM »
nice one gents!! I am going to have to make a plan for a vaal trip with you lads!

Yes please!

Looks to have been a great morning out!

Damn Sorry I missed it! Spent the day looking at venues for a B/Day party... :unhap
Did you get yor fish in the front run again?

Ja in that front run, the fish are there, but Methinks the fishing should improve after the first rains.

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal