Author Topic: Vaal River Update  (Read 566959 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #360 on: October 03, 2011, 07:56:15 AM »
Nice report and good fish Andrew, that carp looks awesome! What fly did you get him on? Pity to hear about the guys fishing for spawners.  swr

Offline schloshd1

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 278
  • Cred: 31
  • Location: Kelvin, Jozi
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #361 on: October 03, 2011, 08:26:39 AM »
Thanks guys. Rory, I got it on an olive control caddis. Most of the fish this weekend were caught on olive flies.
We spoke to the venue owners over the weekend and I have emailed them this morning about our concerns. Unfortunatly  I get the impression that they just dont care :-(
I'm a weekend drinker, I start on Saturday and end on Friday - Bill Hicks

Offline Half-Pint

  • CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3712
  • Cred: 223
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Boksburg
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #362 on: October 03, 2011, 08:32:13 AM »
Good to hear you guys followed up on the complaint. So many people have complaints but couldn't be bothered to actually send an e mail which means no one ever has a record of the issues

Offline Garrick

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 320
  • Cred: 30
  • Gender: Male
  • The Gentleman of the Sea
  • Location: Centurion
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #363 on: October 03, 2011, 10:26:44 AM »
Great report and well done Schloshd1.
It is so sad to hear this.Yet again we have brainless ppl who refuses to think about tomorrow.This is the same reason i stopped fishing at a certain place.You try and educate ppl but then things turns ugly and I don;t have time for ppl like that.It really makes my blood boil that the venue owners show no interest whatsoever in conservation.Do they realise that if the yellows get wiped out,they might as well shut doors.Sad really.I think if one person complains,nothing will be done but if lots complain then maybe they will do something.
 
Winners don't quit and Quitters don't win.

Offline schloshd1

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 278
  • Cred: 31
  • Location: Kelvin, Jozi
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #364 on: October 03, 2011, 11:25:52 AM »
Here are more pics from the weekend
I'm a weekend drinker, I start on Saturday and end on Friday - Bill Hicks

Offline schloshd1

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 278
  • Cred: 31
  • Location: Kelvin, Jozi
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #365 on: October 03, 2011, 11:28:35 AM »
and more
I'm a weekend drinker, I start on Saturday and end on Friday - Bill Hicks

Offline Lichia amia

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #366 on: October 03, 2011, 11:36:59 AM »
 :envy   :clfoto:

Bazza

  • Guest
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #367 on: October 03, 2011, 11:50:35 AM »
Dis fantasties!!!!

Nice catchings  :frid

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #368 on: October 03, 2011, 12:51:23 PM »
Man! Looks like you guys had some really good fishing! Super catches there! :envy :envy

Offline schloshd1

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 278
  • Cred: 31
  • Location: Kelvin, Jozi
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #369 on: October 03, 2011, 01:17:54 PM »
Yes, the fishing was brilliant. I wont be going back there again though
I'm a weekend drinker, I start on Saturday and end on Friday - Bill Hicks

Offline schloshd1

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 278
  • Cred: 31
  • Location: Kelvin, Jozi
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #370 on: October 10, 2011, 06:17:40 AM »
Four of us fished at Strydom's on Saturday. The water has started to warm up and the viz is around 50cm. The fishing was fantastic with numerous double ups and a few triple ups. Muddies were in the slower water and yellows mostly in the seams of very fast/slower water around knee/thigh deep. By far the most productive fly was a dark olive control caddis, around a size 10.

Fish of the day was Michael's bus.
I'm a weekend drinker, I start on Saturday and end on Friday - Bill Hicks

Offline schloshd1

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 278
  • Cred: 31
  • Location: Kelvin, Jozi
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #371 on: October 10, 2011, 06:32:19 AM »
Then yesterday I took a drive out to very different section of the Vaal well above the dam where the river is much smaller , a 3 weight rod and 5X tippet is appropriate and any fish over 1kg can be considered big.

It took me a while to find the fish and the right fly, which turned out to be a #14 tan GRHE with a bit of pearl UV dubbing for a collar, basically a caddis pupae imitation. Once I found that fly it was game on, big time. I ended up getting between 20 and 30 fish with at least another 10 that came off and who knows how many missed strikes.
Strangely enough when I switched to other flies the fish were not interested but when I changed back I started catching again.

There were a few caddis hatching so  I guess that the fish were keyed in on the drifting pupae.
Eventually I lost the only 2 of that fly that I had and did not catch another thing.

Here's a pic of my biggest for the day
I'm a weekend drinker, I start on Saturday and end on Friday - Bill Hicks

Offline Lichia amia

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #372 on: October 10, 2011, 07:30:46 AM »
Lekker report as always  :shre:

Offline shagnrelease

  • Banned
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #373 on: October 10, 2011, 07:33:10 AM »
Awesome stuff lad!

Offline Kumz

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #374 on: October 10, 2011, 07:34:19 AM »
 (clap) ........ :shre: ........

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #375 on: October 10, 2011, 07:59:04 AM »
Nice going Andrew, thanks for the report!!  :win:  That fish of Michaels is a proper bus! I'm trying to wangle to get to the river on Sunday, I've only had 2 sessions this season and 2 blanks!  :vio

Offline schloshd1

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 278
  • Cred: 31
  • Location: Kelvin, Jozi
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #376 on: October 10, 2011, 09:03:07 AM »
Thanks guys.

The pic of Michael's fish does not do it justice, Graham was saying that other than his pappa bear that he got a few years ago, it's the biggest smallie he's seen.

Rory, I'm fishing a little stream for LS yellows this weekend, not sure what day yet but if it's on the Saturday then I will join you for Sunday. The Vaal is producing well at the moment and it should be a great day out.
I'm a weekend drinker, I start on Saturday and end on Friday - Bill Hicks

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #377 on: October 10, 2011, 10:30:53 AM »
Thanks guys.

The pic of Michael's fish does not do it justice, Graham was saying that other than his pappa bear that he got a few years ago, it's the biggest smallie he's seen.

Rory, I'm fishing a little stream for LS yellows this weekend, not sure what day yet but if it's on the Saturday then I will join you for Sunday. The Vaal is producing well at the moment and it should be a great day out.

Excellent! Saturday is definately out for me, but sunday is looking good!

Offline Monster

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 270
  • Cred: 9
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Centurion
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #378 on: October 12, 2011, 10:17:38 AM »
Rory
 
Would you mind If I joined?

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #379 on: October 12, 2011, 10:18:49 AM »
Rory
 
Would you mind If I joined?

No problemo man!

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal