0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
A group of us fished the Middle Vaal yesterday ( last fish of 2012 ).The water temp was around 25 deg and flows around 30, which was half of what they were when we fished the same venue on Friday.Everyone got fish, including Pieter's dad who was on the Vaal for his very first time.I think Martin got 9, 7 sm and 2 yellows.I missed a full house with 2 carp, 2 muddies, 1 sm and a moggel. Just couldn't find the barbel though.Flies that worked were red bloodworm imitations, with my sm being the only one caught on my control fly.Thanks again guys for another great morning on the river.
It was one of the more "fun" days I have had on the river teaching my first newbie, after a while I realized that herman is better teacher than me. Funniest thing was me being worried about the old man falling in the river and then me landing squarely on my behind.
It was a good mornings fishing. It seemed like the heavier fish were in the faster deeper runs yesterday. Had a blast hammering the creche/nursery in the slower glides, the juvie yellows were as thick as a shad run! All in the 20 -30cm class they were hitting the fly like it was their last meal on earth. Flies that produced for me were Humpy's Favourite, mustard caddis and small black mayflies.