Author Topic: Vaal River Update  (Read 567343 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Poenskop

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 455
  • Cred: 35
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Port Elizabeth
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #80 on: November 01, 2010, 11:12:05 AM »
Glad you guys got some action. How did the Fireline leader work?

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #81 on: November 01, 2010, 12:06:24 PM »
Louis the water was so low I just used mono. I'll give the fireline a bash this weekend. w;k

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #82 on: November 01, 2010, 07:36:21 PM »
Looks and sounds like everyone had a gas.

I would however love to know what's the story with the flows. It is very unusual for them to drop them less low at this time of year.  :dunno:  :cnfzd

Unless the are building up "stock" for the Vaal Canoe Marathon, which is from the Vaal Dam to Parys, and is normally held around this time.  swr

Anyone have the canoing calander handy ????
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline schloshd1

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 278
  • Cred: 31
  • Location: Kelvin, Jozi
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #83 on: November 01, 2010, 07:59:06 PM »

Anyone have the canoing calander handy ????

I've been wondering the same thing. Provided it's not this coming weekend it's all good. Although I think it will take the flows a day or 2 to reach where we'll be fishing.
I'm a weekend drinker, I start on Saturday and end on Friday - Bill Hicks

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #84 on: November 01, 2010, 09:19:40 PM »
I've been wondering the same thing. Provided it's not this coming weekend it's all good. Although I think it will take the flows a day or 2 to reach where we'll be fishing.

Andrew, Day 1, the Sat, they increase the flow from the dam to around 40 tons, i.e. prison side. Day 2 the Sun, they increase the flow from the Barrage to about 80 tons.
This will only reach Oord Nebo on Monday/Tuesday so we should be cool. :ayb

There again Oord Nebo is fishable at 80 tons. :hehe: fshg fshg
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline schloshd1

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 278
  • Cred: 31
  • Location: Kelvin, Jozi
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #85 on: November 02, 2010, 05:56:11 AM »
BTW, if you have a look on their website, you can do a drift from Scandinavia Drift down to Oord Nebo. Will find out more about it this weekend. I had a look on Google Earth, Some VERY good looking water and it seems to be about half the length of the Elgro Drift, very manageable in a day while still being able to stop and fish at each good looking spot.
I'm a weekend drinker, I start on Saturday and end on Friday - Bill Hicks

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #86 on: November 02, 2010, 08:57:28 PM »
BTW, if you have a look on their website, you can do a drift from Scandinavia Drift down to Oord Nebo. Will find out more about it this weekend. I had a look on Google Earth, Some VERY good looking water and it seems to be about half the length of the Elgro Drift, very manageable in a day while still being able to stop and fish at each good looking spot.

Now that you have finally committed to a "inflatable Boat " of sorts, you can join SAGixer ( Adriaan ) and I on the drift. :lolo:

Plus point is no more "lifting" at GVP.  w;k

Now to just convince OMR to get his own boat, and we are nearly sorted.  :happ: :happ:
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline schloshd1

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 278
  • Cred: 31
  • Location: Kelvin, Jozi
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #87 on: November 03, 2010, 05:53:51 AM »
Now that you have finally committed to a "inflatable Boat " of sorts, you can join SAGixer ( Adriaan ) and I on the drift. :lolo:

Plus point is no more "lifting" at GVP.  w;k

Now to just convince OMR to get his own boat, and we are nearly sorted.  :happ: :happ:
yep, am looking really forward to it. Finding new smallie water and giving the largies a proper go in winter
I'm a weekend drinker, I start on Saturday and end on Friday - Bill Hicks

Offline diamonddogs

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 40
  • Cred: 10
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #88 on: November 04, 2010, 12:39:33 PM »
Would love to join you okes at Oord Nebo but those fish seems very small on the pics posted.
Would there be anyone willing to show me how to catch big fish? I promise I will tie you a selections of flies with precisely 3463 lead wraps if anyone can get me into a big feesh.

Offline schloshd1

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 278
  • Cred: 31
  • Location: Kelvin, Jozi
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #89 on: November 04, 2010, 01:22:46 PM »
Would love to join you okes at Oord Nebo but those fish seems very small on the pics posted.
Would there be anyone willing to show me how to catch big fish? I promise I will tie you a selections of flies with precisely 3463 lead wraps if anyone can get me into a big feesh.

How many times out of 10 are those flies likely to snag in a bush?
I'm a weekend drinker, I start on Saturday and end on Friday - Bill Hicks

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #90 on: November 04, 2010, 08:59:09 PM »
Would love to join you okes at Oord Nebo but those fish seems very small on the pics posted.
Would there be anyone willing to show me how to catch big fish? I promise I will tie you a selections of flies with precisely 3463 lead wraps if anyone can get me into a big feesh.

I thought you were on a work related weekend year end function, :dunno:

You've been shown how to catch yellows, in summer and winter, and have taught yourself how to catch BEEEEEG      LM ellows.

Just get your arse down there and avoid the Negrita, and have a ball.
You may just get to catch BEEEG    FEEEEEESSSHHHH. :happ:



If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline icstuff

  • The Ultimate Clown
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1105
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • It's the Water's fault!
  • Location: Meyerton
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #91 on: November 05, 2010, 07:54:04 AM »
Vaal canoe marathon 6 November 2010 hope this helps
Squid Happens!

Offline shagnrelease

  • Banned
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #92 on: November 05, 2010, 08:03:28 AM »
anyone keen on a mid week sneak next week?

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #93 on: November 05, 2010, 08:07:20 AM »
anyone keen on a mid week sneak next week?

Midweeks are impossible for me! :unhap but the advantage is theres nobody else fishing, you practically have the entire river to yourself!

Offline icstuff

  • The Ultimate Clown
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1105
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • It's the Water's fault!
  • Location: Meyerton
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #94 on: November 05, 2010, 08:13:08 AM »
From 3 December I can do midweeks  :rck"
Squid Happens!

Offline shagnrelease

  • Banned
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #95 on: November 05, 2010, 08:22:59 AM »
Midweeks are impossible for me! :unhap but the advantage is theres nobody else fishing, you practically have the entire river to yourself!

I am sure you are coming down with a dose of the shits :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe:

Offline icstuff

  • The Ultimate Clown
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1105
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • It's the Water's fault!
  • Location: Meyerton
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #96 on: November 05, 2010, 08:29:00 AM »
I am sure you are coming down with a dose of the shits :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe:

Another holiday for the poor underpaid teachers, which will bring my total to 14 weeks the school year.
Squid Happens!

Offline Poenskop

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 455
  • Cred: 35
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Port Elizabeth
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #97 on: November 05, 2010, 08:33:20 AM »
I am sure you are coming down with a dose of the shits :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe:

How is he going to explain the tan? :lolo:

Offline diamonddogs

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 40
  • Cred: 10
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #98 on: November 05, 2010, 08:52:36 AM »
enjoy

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #99 on: November 05, 2010, 11:23:02 AM »
I am sure you are coming down with a dose of the shits :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe:

It might have to be arranged.....

......I've ziplocked my control flies in Berkley Gulp spray this whole week - let's see if that works....

WHAT????  :unhap Have you given up on Marmite already?? :pot: :hyst: :hyst:

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal