Author Topic: Vaal River Update  (Read 566781 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Quickbite

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 178
  • Cred: 10
  • Location: JHB
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #500 on: January 06, 2012, 10:06:33 AM »
Also keen guys- whats happning /n where on sunday?

Offline Garrick

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 320
  • Cred: 30
  • Gender: Male
  • The Gentleman of the Sea
  • Location: Centurion
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #501 on: January 06, 2012, 10:14:49 AM »
Also keen guys- whats happning /n where on sunday?

Hey chodhoo........you still alive? :shk where r u lost in the world?Will be good to meet you again.Last time I held a fly rod in the Vaal was when we went........................
Winners don't quit and Quitters don't win.

Offline Quickbite

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 178
  • Cred: 10
  • Location: JHB
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #502 on: January 06, 2012, 10:22:52 AM »
Also keen guys- whats happning /n where on sunday?

Hey chodhoo........you still alive? :shk where r u lost in the world?Will be good to meet you again.Last time I held a fly rod in the Vaal was when we went........................

 
salaam - bhai ... back in jozie ... ja- we need to bend those fly rods..

wernerm

  • Guest
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #503 on: January 06, 2012, 11:21:00 AM »
One of you okes aren't driving from Rustenburg by any chance?

Offline Garrick

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 320
  • Cred: 30
  • Gender: Male
  • The Gentleman of the Sea
  • Location: Centurion
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #504 on: January 06, 2012, 11:23:12 AM »
One of you okes aren't driving from Rustenburg by any chance?

no............... sorry mate.
Winners don't quit and Quitters don't win.

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #505 on: January 06, 2012, 11:26:19 AM »
A group of us went out again yesterday to the same venue where you guys will be on Sunday.
Everything ito flows, water temp, visibility etc. were normal for this venue. Pieter ( ICstuff )was "cormorant of the day", cleaning everyonelse up. As far as I know he got 6 muddies and 2 sm yellows. :-)
I got cleaned up 6 love by what I think was a barbel that ran me all over the place before popping my control fly dropper :unhap , but het that's fishing. :blush:
 
Sorry I'm busy with other family matters on Sunday,otherwise I would definately have been there.  :-(
 
A few pics from yesterday.
 
Pieter fighting a nice muddy.
Pieter with the fish.
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline Garrick

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 320
  • Cred: 30
  • Gender: Male
  • The Gentleman of the Sea
  • Location: Centurion
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #506 on: January 06, 2012, 11:30:47 AM »
A group of us went out again yesterday to the same venue where you guys will be on Sunday.
Everything ito flows, water temp, visibility etc. were normal for this venue. Pieter ( ICstuff )was "cormorant of the day", cleaning everyonelse up. As far as I know he got 6 muddies and 2 sm yellows. :-)
I got cleaned up 6 love by what I think was a barbel that ran me all over the place before popping my control fly dropper :unhap , but het that's fishing. :blush:
 
Sorry I'm busy with other family matters on Sunday,otherwise I would definately have been there.  :-(
 
A few pics from yesterday.
 
Pieter fighting a nice muddy.
Pieter with the fish.

Nice one HJ....it would have been nice to have met you and Pieter on sunday.Can you or anybody tell me as to where this place is as I am seriously thinking of wetting a line and meeting Craig and Christo.
Winners don't quit and Quitters don't win.

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #507 on: January 06, 2012, 11:37:14 AM »
AFAIK , Rory is organising this trippie. I see you are in Centurion. Why not drop him a call ?
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline Garrick

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 320
  • Cred: 30
  • Gender: Male
  • The Gentleman of the Sea
  • Location: Centurion
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #508 on: January 06, 2012, 11:40:02 AM »
AFAIK , Rory is organising this trippie. I see you are in Centurion. Why not drop him a call ?

Could you please PM me his contact details.thanks....what is AFAIK :dunno: ...you can pm me the expo............ :hehe: :hehe: :hehe:
Winners don't quit and Quitters don't win.

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #509 on: January 06, 2012, 12:06:14 PM »
Don't hold your breath guys, I've checked the DWAF website and they've opened the sluices at the Vaal dam. At this rate we might not be able to fish, so let's be patient and see what happens. In my humble opinion, higher flows are easier to fish below the barrage.

Offline icstuff

  • The Ultimate Clown
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1105
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • It's the Water's fault!
  • Location: Meyerton
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #510 on: January 06, 2012, 02:51:24 PM »
Or face the music Pietertjie ?

Something like that, so wanted to fish with you chaps again
Squid Happens!

wernerm

  • Guest
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #511 on: January 06, 2012, 10:30:19 PM »
Flows don't look good you guys.


You are all welcome to come and bash some large mouth lunkers with me at Buffelspoort on Sunday  :nuts:
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 10:31:02 PM by wernerm »

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #512 on: January 07, 2012, 11:16:23 AM »
Sorry for the last minute cancellation, but I can't make the fishing tomorrow. Next week chasps!

Offline Hooch

  • Banned
  • *
  • Posts: 330
  • Cred: 33
  • Gender: Male
  • Fear no Fish
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #513 on: January 07, 2012, 04:49:25 PM »
Also bailing out chaps! Sorry for this. See you next sunday!

Offline icstuff

  • The Ultimate Clown
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1105
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • It's the Water's fault!
  • Location: Meyerton
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #514 on: January 09, 2012, 12:05:11 PM »
I wont be seeing you on sunday, large family forgathering in Pretoria.
But on the upside I am thinking about visiting the venue above the barage again sometime this week - anybody not working this week?
Squid Happens!

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #515 on: January 16, 2012, 08:13:41 PM »
Frederick ( FCLorenz) , Rory and I fished below the dam again on Sunday.
The day started off heavily overcast, and with a weird downstream wind :dunno:  and it was a coolish one at that. :cnfzd
 
The wind here normally only comes up around 10:00 and 98% is upstreaam.
 
Anyway, in we went, and on my 3rd cast I was into and landed a fair muddie. hehehe I thought , this is my day.   
 
How wrong I was,  duh .
 
Rory was " Cormorant" of the day with 5 fish in the net, including his PB Barbel on fly :happ:  ( which I would post  the pic of IF the damned computer would recognise the camera  :unhap  ).
 
Frederick had 2 good runs, which are his first hookups at this venue, WELL DONE FREDERICK. Now we just need to work on getting them in the net w;k
 
Me, I got 2muddies in the net, and lost 1 which I hooked under very weird cicumstances, stepping off the island I dipped my flies in the water, on picking up the flies to recast I was "on" then off  :dunno:
 
Methinks there's a new tactic developing for that dead water area next to the island. :hehe:
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #516 on: January 29, 2012, 03:21:26 PM »
Right, so 5 of us hit the prison today.
 
Weather was overcast with a little upstream breeze early, which got stronger as the morning got later.
 
For me a very frustrating day. 2nd cast and fish on, a little 4m run fish off :cnfzd
 
And that's how it was for the rest of the morning, FOR ALL OF US :cnfzd :unhap :unhap
 
I finally managed to get a muddie of around 800 grams in the net' :happ:
 
Pieter ( ICStuff ) then obliged with a better specimen, pics of which are attached.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 03:22:24 PM by Herman Jooste »
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline schloshd1

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 278
  • Cred: 31
  • Location: Kelvin, Jozi
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #517 on: January 29, 2012, 03:33:45 PM »
Good fish Pieter, well done! What fly did it eat?
I'm a weekend drinker, I start on Saturday and end on Friday - Bill Hicks

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #518 on: January 29, 2012, 03:45:01 PM »
Good fish Pieter, well done! What fly did it eat?

Black Nymph  w;k w;k
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline Lichia amia

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #519 on: January 29, 2012, 05:53:57 PM »
Well done Pietertjie . Nice  fshg

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal