Author Topic: Vaal River Update  (Read 566775 times)

0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Monster

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 270
  • Cred: 9
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Centurion
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #160 on: December 17, 2010, 09:42:14 AM »
Eish, sounds like the rive is going to be out of commision for a while. Rory do you have any lekker patterns to tie in the mean time.

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #161 on: December 17, 2010, 09:50:52 AM »
Eish, sounds like the rive is going to be out of commision for a while. Rory do you have any lekker patterns to tie in the mean time.

Remember that CDC technique Darryl showed us? I've been adapting my standard black mayfly that I use on the vaal to incorparate some CDC - they looking good!

Offline schloshd1

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 278
  • Cred: 31
  • Location: Kelvin, Jozi
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #162 on: December 17, 2010, 09:54:09 AM »
Above the barrage up to the dam is still very fishable, outflow from the the dam is about 15 cubes and the dam itself is less than 90% capacity so the outflow should remain stable.
I'm fishing tomorrow  :happ:

PS  as Rory mentioned, below the barrage is OUT, don't even try it.
I'm a weekend drinker, I start on Saturday and end on Friday - Bill Hicks

Offline Monster

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 270
  • Cred: 9
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Centurion
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #163 on: December 17, 2010, 09:57:25 AM »
Sounds, very good Rory. Where are you going tomorrow Sclossy?

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #164 on: December 17, 2010, 10:01:19 AM »

......I'm fishing tomorrow  :happ:.....


Lucky sods. Please spare me a thought as I move furniture tomorrow!! swr swr

Offline schloshd1

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 278
  • Cred: 31
  • Location: Kelvin, Jozi
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #165 on: December 17, 2010, 10:03:44 AM »
Sounds, very good Rory. Where are you going tomorrow Sclossy?

Fishing the Italian's with OMR. You're more than welcome to join.
I'm a weekend drinker, I start on Saturday and end on Friday - Bill Hicks

Offline Quickbite

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 178
  • Cred: 10
  • Location: JHB
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #166 on: December 17, 2010, 10:24:38 AM »
Above the barrage up to the dam is still very fishable, outflow from the the dam is about 15 cubes and the dam itself is less than 90% capacity so the outflow should remain stable.
I'm fishing tomorrow  :happ:

PS  as Rory mentioned, below the barrage is OUT, don't even try it.

Howsit- which venues are above the barrage? thanks

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #167 on: January 04, 2011, 09:56:17 AM »
Just a quick update on the Vaal flows: I've been informed via email that Randwater opened another 2 gates at the Vaal dam at 07h00 this morning, and then another one at 09h00. That will realease approximately 800 cubes from the dam and the outflow from the Barrage will be increased to around 1000 cubes. If anyone had plans to fish the Vaal river, at these flows it will be impossible. Comfortable wading, in general, is anything lower than 40 - 50 cubes! Pasop!! According to the DWAF website, the Vaal dam is currently 102% full.

Looks like thats the fishing poked for another month! swr swr <: <:



Offline Poenskop

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 455
  • Cred: 35
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Port Elizabeth
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #168 on: January 04, 2011, 10:22:21 AM »
Looks like Sterkies is the only option now. :sadd

Offline AdrianPowrie

  • I distrust camel's and anything else that can go a week without a drink... ~Rols~
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 17
  • Cred: 0
  • Location: Alberton/Gauteng
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #169 on: January 04, 2011, 10:26:45 AM »
Flytying afternoon perhaps?? :rck"
Regards                                                              Adrian

Offline Poenskop

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 455
  • Cred: 35
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Port Elizabeth
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #170 on: January 04, 2011, 10:38:57 AM »
Give that man a Bells!!! :hehe:

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #171 on: January 04, 2011, 10:44:54 AM »
Give that man a Bells!!! :hehe:

Or maybe an Uitkyk 10 year old???? :hnthnt:

Offline Poenskop

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 455
  • Cred: 35
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Port Elizabeth
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #172 on: January 04, 2011, 12:53:08 PM »
No!! That is for me :happ:

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #173 on: January 04, 2011, 01:03:22 PM »
No!! That is for me :happ:

 :hyst:
I've still got a bottle of "Washburne and Crowe" 5 year old that I've been keeping for exactly this kind of occasion! How does this Saturday afternoon sound?

Offline Poenskop

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 455
  • Cred: 35
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Port Elizabeth
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #174 on: January 04, 2011, 03:23:59 PM »
I'm in Bloem again this weekend for a wedding :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:
We will have to find a alternative weekend. I will give you a call next week.

Offline AdrianPowrie

  • I distrust camel's and anything else that can go a week without a drink... ~Rols~
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 17
  • Cred: 0
  • Location: Alberton/Gauteng
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #175 on: January 04, 2011, 03:48:47 PM »
So because you have other arrangements we will have to keep your stash safe :hnthnt:

Rory, let me know if you are keen otherwise I might give the wheels a bit of a spin to dullies for Saturday & camp and come home on Sunday...
Regards                                                              Adrian

Offline schloshd1

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 278
  • Cred: 31
  • Location: Kelvin, Jozi
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #176 on: January 04, 2011, 04:38:03 PM »
So because you have other arrangements we will have to keep your stash safe :hnthnt:

Rory, let me know if you are keen otherwise I might give the wheels a bit of a spin to dullies for Saturday & camp and come home on Sunday...

let me know if you go through, I'm staying the Duck and Troot from Friday-Sunday
I'm a weekend drinker, I start on Saturday and end on Friday - Bill Hicks

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #177 on: January 04, 2011, 09:45:35 PM »
Hi all, I've just been on the DWAF site and addedup the inflow to the Vaal Dam. It's currently 2000 tons/second and rising. Add to that the 700 tons from the Klipspruit, and no reading from the Suikerbos, I pedict flows OVER theBarrage of in excess of 3000 tons, as per last year this time.  :unhap

Unless you want an eventfull, and bone breaking trip to Oranjemond, in record time, STAY OFF THE VAAL/ORANGE.

I can see Douglas being flooded again. :sadd
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #178 on: January 17, 2011, 10:22:43 PM »
Hi Guys,
Last Sunday I put a small theory to the test and fished the Vaal at flows of in excess of 500 tons. I was well pleased, got 3 yellows and 2 muddies.
All of the fish except 1 yellow (  a rubberlips of around 2kg ) were under 500g.
This proved 3 things.
Firstly fish feed whatever, secondly the babies are streetwise ito floods, thirdly look for a venue, that when flooded, ( or high water ) has a  gently sloping terrain that you would normally walk over to get to the water in normal flows.
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline Rory mundy

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1762
  • Cred: 66
  • Gender: Male
  • vidalbum
  • Location: St Lucia
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #179 on: January 18, 2011, 06:26:59 AM »
there are a lot of dead fish floating around in the barage again not nice and the water is seriously dirty.

vidalbum

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal