Author Topic: Vaal River Update  (Read 566822 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Vaal River Update
« on: September 01, 2010, 08:37:42 PM »
For us "Binnelanders,  the Vaal and the Orange systems are the primary waters for those of us who like to target fresh ( misnomer in the Vaal  :shk ) fish.
TROOT waters don't count !!!!!!!, A TROOT is a "moffie" fish, compared to our indigenous fish.

I thought that a thread like this would , (bait, artlure, flyfishermen,)  be suitable for anyone fishing the Vaal/Orange system , and their tribs.
The venues can be kept secret, if they are sensitive, but the more info we get, the better idea we have of what's happening on our primary river system.

If we see that "crap" is happening then we contact SAVE, ( Save The Vaal Environment ), who take those responsible to court, and always win. They have put 2 @rseholes from the Vereeniging Municipality into jail for 6 months. :happ:

If anyone would like to assist SAVE in any way, be it financially, or by services, drop me a PM, and I will give you there contact details.
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline schloshd1

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 278
  • Cred: 31
  • Location: Kelvin, Jozi
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 06:16:24 AM »
It's great to know that they are slowly making some progress. Looking forward to your report after Sunday (unfortunately I don't think that I'm going to make it), I think that venue is going to cook after this week's weather.
I don't know if you checked under the rocks there last weekend but there were plenty of #16 chartreuse caddis and tiny black mayfly.
I'm a weekend drinker, I start on Saturday and end on Friday - Bill Hicks

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 08:09:02 AM »
........I thought that a thread like this would , (bait, artlure, flyfishermen,)  be suitable for anyone fishing the Vaal/Orange system , and their tribs......

Nice  Herman, I'm looking forward to the weekends fishing, time to get rid of the cabin fever!!!

......there were plenty of #16 chartreuse caddis and tiny black mayfly.

What size about for those mayflies Andrew? 18's? 20's?

Offline schloshd1

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 278
  • Cred: 31
  • Location: Kelvin, Jozi
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 09:22:19 AM »
Ja, about #18-20 is right. MInd you. I only picked up about 6 or 7 rocks and only in shallower sections, that water was still VARKING COLD
I'm a weekend drinker, I start on Saturday and end on Friday - Bill Hicks

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 09:28:11 AM »
Ja, about #18-20 is right. MInd you. I only picked up about 6 or 7 rocks and only in shallower sections, that water was still VARKING COLD

Eish tiny buggers! Looks like some eye strain coming up tying flies this weekend! Did you guys measure the water temp?

Offline schloshd1

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 278
  • Cred: 31
  • Location: Kelvin, Jozi
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 12:48:27 PM »
Eish tiny buggers! Looks like some eye strain coming up tying flies this weekend! Did you guys measure the water temp?

Craig wet waded, he measured it as lion cold.
Speaking of eye strain, I picked up some #24s  this morning
I'm a weekend drinker, I start on Saturday and end on Friday - Bill Hicks

Offline Poenskop

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 455
  • Cred: 35
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Port Elizabeth
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 09:13:07 AM »
I am off to Christiana for the weekend. Leaving at 12. :happ: Hope I can post a couple of Largies on Monday.

Offline schloshd1

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 278
  • Cred: 31
  • Location: Kelvin, Jozi
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 09:25:00 AM »
Enjoy it , I'm looking forward to the report back  :tite
I'm a weekend drinker, I start on Saturday and end on Friday - Bill Hicks

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 09:48:59 AM »
I am off to Christiana for the weekend. Leaving at 12. :happ: Hope I can post a couple of Largies on Monday.

Tight lines Louis! w;k

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2010, 03:35:25 PM »
Hi Guys, heres a report back of this mornings trip to the vaal. We fished a venue above the barrage, which means 2 things: Very cold water with low viz, but no crowds and no rock snot. I measured the water at a fresh 11 degrees, which means its lion cold if you don't have waders. The average flow rate at this venue is in the region of 12 cumecs, but its currently flowing at 19. Hence the colder water. The fishing was slow but its still early in the season, and personally I was very rusty, missing plenty fish. I managed to hook into 3 fish, all getting a "long line release"! No photies I'm afraid! I think the other guys did about the same. Thanks to Herman, Adrian and Jaun for a super morning - good company, good fishing and bitterly cold beers!
Some pics:
1. Myself and Herman having "breakfast"
2. Adrian , Herman and Jaun heading for the river
3. Adrian and Herman fishing

Tsutsuma

  • Guest
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 04:06:19 PM »
Good Stuff you guys getting out & About
Nice pix
Carlos
}<(((*>

Offline schloshd1

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 278
  • Cred: 31
  • Location: Kelvin, Jozi
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2010, 04:51:49 PM »
Nice one Rory, lion cold indeed. I'm hoping to fish below the barrage next Sunday.
I'm a weekend drinker, I start on Saturday and end on Friday - Bill Hicks

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2010, 06:20:01 PM »
A great day ideed. Andrew, I'm also planning below the barrage, but slightly above where you will be heading. w;k

BTW, how do I post pics on here ? :cnfzd
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline Poenskop

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 455
  • Cred: 35
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Port Elizabeth
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2010, 09:14:21 AM »
Here is my report for my trip to Christiana.

We arrived at our spot 5:30 Friday afternoon. We pitched our tents, got the boat ready and collected some firewood. That night was extremely cold. The next morning we awoke to a perfect windless morning. The water visibility was very poor for that area and this time of year. I also could not see any water plants not even the rocksnot that normally plague this spot for this time of year. We concentrated our efforts on Largemouth Yellows casting towards the hundreds of fallen trees on the margins of the river. The wind started giving us problems from about 10 o’clock onwards. We did not get any enquiries the whole morning. We decided to concentrate on Largies again after lunch and only start dry fly fishing as soon as the evening rises start. The evening mayfly hatch did not happen so the rest of the day was spend on the Largies. No Largies was caught or seen for the whole of the weekend. :sadd

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2010, 03:43:06 PM »
Good Stuff you guys getting out & About
Nice pix
Carlos
}<(((*>

Hey Carlos, in the second pic, check how dry and dusty things are still up here. Roll on the rain!! :pray:

Nice one Rory, lion cold indeed. I'm hoping to fish below the barrage next Sunday.

Let me know, I'm keen to join you. Perhaps we have a planning session while tying some flies on Saturday? :pot:

BTW, how do I post pics on here ? :cnfzd

Herman, when you post a reply, click on "Additional Options..." at the bottom of the screen, that will allow you to manage attacments.

Here is my report for my trip to Christiana.

We arrived at our spot 5:30 Friday afternoon. We pitched our tents, got the boat ready and collected some firewood. That night was extremely cold. The next morning we awoke to a perfect windless morning. The water visibility was very poor for that area and this time of year. I also could not see any water plants not even the rocksnot that normally plague this spot for this time of year. We concentrated our efforts on Largemouth Yellows casting towards the hundreds of fallen trees on the margins of the river. The wind started giving us problems from about 10 o’clock onwards. We did not get any enquiries the whole morning. We decided to concentrate on Largies again after lunch and only start dry fly fishing as soon as the evening rises start. The evening mayfly hatch did not happen so the rest of the day was spend on the Largies. No Largies was caught or seen for the whole of the weekend. :sadd

Hard lines Louis..... :dunno:

Offline schloshd1

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 278
  • Cred: 31
  • Location: Kelvin, Jozi
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2010, 06:10:51 AM »
Rory and anyone else that's keen to join, I'll be fishing at Strydom's on Sunday. Herman, why don't you do a short drift downstream and join us, you won't be able to hear the Blackberry ring from Yellow Beach  w;k

Louis, better luck next time. At least it got you out of the big smoke for a weekend.
I'm a weekend drinker, I start on Saturday and end on Friday - Bill Hicks

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2010, 08:39:23 PM »
Andrew, that could be a plan.
However there is a tentative arrange,ment to fish above with Adrian, using the boats. I will however confirm and let you know before  Sunday.  :sml:


P.S. Hope this comes out, but herewith a pic of Rory fighting the "1st Ghost " on Sunday past.
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2010, 08:41:31 PM »
YAAAAYYYY, it worked.  :happ:
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2010, 08:00:59 AM »
Rory and anyone else that's keen to join, I'll be fishing at Strydom's on Sunday.......

I'm dead keen, will confirm with you tonight!

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2010, 05:37:36 PM »
Rory and anyone else that's keen to join, I'll be fishing at Strydom's on Sunday.....

I'm dead keen, will confirm with you tonight!

I'm in! Woohoo we going fishing! (hap

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal