Author Topic: Vaal River Update  (Read 566757 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #1280 on: October 02, 2014, 08:11:34 PM »
Welcome Largie !!!
Agree with Herman as I've seen the posts on flytalk.
Some awesome fish there !!!!

Chaps.. whose fishing where on Sunday ? I desperately need to get on the river and open my account for the season !

Homie, I will not be fishing this weekend. Need to do the final prep for Christiana :clwn

Will only be back on the Vaal this side in 2 weeks time.

If I was you I would go to Erina, or the far side of Strome, opposite Strydoms. :clwn
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 08:15:57 PM by Herman Jooste »
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline E.T.

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 883
  • Cred: 87
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria, Gauteng
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #1281 on: October 03, 2014, 07:19:59 AM »

Right so on my second outing things went way better with the Tenkara. I fished two strike indicator options.
The one was the Curly Q inline strike indicator and the other one was one of those thingamabobber jobbies.
I did not take footage of all the fish I landed, but eventually I remembered that I have a Gopro strapped to my chest.




These two fish in this clip was some of the better footage.
Here I used the Thingamabobber and 4X tippet.
The first part of the clip is unedited, I only joined in the other fish's clip after the release of the first. Suppose you could add in 2-5 seconds for the camera to respond after I hit the button after the take/strike.
The 2nd one I took about 15 seconds away from the start/strike in order to get the footage more or less the same length as the music.
Both fish where netted with the net still attached to the back of my vest. I just couldn't get the thing off. Will buy a magnetic release as I could have landed that first fish quicker.




I am not trying to convince anyone to take up Tenkara, I am simply showing you that there is an alternative and it is possible to catch fish on a fixed line. Also note how strong the fish swims off as they are still full of energy and not played half dead.


Enjoy the clip.....


Another Tenkara Outing on Vimeo
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 07:20:48 AM by E.T. »

Offline gavin erwin

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 808
  • Cred: 76
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: 28 york rd South Kensington joburg
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #1282 on: October 03, 2014, 07:30:53 AM »
where are you fishing sean/gav I might join you
I think wer hitting silverstroom if your keen  :fshn:
Reach for a bream!

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #1283 on: October 03, 2014, 07:59:24 AM »
Gav, Sean  :tite :envy

Offline gavin erwin

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 808
  • Cred: 76
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: 28 york rd South Kensington joburg
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #1284 on: October 03, 2014, 08:24:11 AM »
 :tkx: Got the gopro so hopefully we get some fish :blush:
Reach for a bream!

Offline gavin erwin

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 808
  • Cred: 76
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: 28 york rd South Kensington joburg
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #1285 on: October 04, 2014, 08:19:30 AM »
Fishing was a bit slow today, think the water was a little to clear and not enough flow but my little home made hotspots did the trick, 4 fish all together and I hooked a huge grass carp in the tail  :shk  didn't  stand a chance  :hehe: :hehe:  but non the less not a bad way to spend a Friday. :rck"
Reach for a bream!

Offline Lichia amia

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #1286 on: October 04, 2014, 08:20:41 AM »
Nice chaps !!

Offline gavin erwin

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 808
  • Cred: 76
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: 28 york rd South Kensington joburg
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #1287 on: October 04, 2014, 08:23:39 AM »
Thanks Craig! I find the brighter Hotspots work better than the dull orange ones.
Reach for a bream!

Offline pieta

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 673
  • Cred: 21
  • Gender: Male
  • Fishing for the fun of it
  • Location: Bethlehem
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #1288 on: October 04, 2014, 03:38:27 PM »
Very nice. Wish I can fish on a friday. Looking at that first pick with the guy along side the braai with a Castle light in one hand and a roll of white gold in the other, it seems that castle light is doing what they do best.

Offline gavin erwin

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 808
  • Cred: 76
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: 28 york rd South Kensington joburg
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #1289 on: October 09, 2014, 08:20:00 AM »
WK and myself are hitting Silverstroom tomorrow if any of you guys are keen and maybe eindekuil on Sunday :hnthnt:
Reach for a bream!

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #1290 on: October 09, 2014, 08:26:24 AM »
WK and myself are hitting Silverstroom tomorrow if any of you guys are keen and maybe eindekuil on Sunday :hnthnt:
:happ: :happ: :happ: :happ: :happ: :happ: :happ: :happ: :happ: :happ:

Offline Lichia amia

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #1291 on: October 09, 2014, 08:32:14 AM »
WK and myself are hitting Silverstroom tomorrow if any of you guys are keen and maybe eindekuil on Sunday :hnthnt:


Might just join you 2 Brownie girl Scouts ( Homes could pull in later in the day as well ), if all goes well I wanna be on the water at Dawns Crack.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 08:34:23 AM by Lichia amia »

Offline gavin erwin

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 808
  • Cred: 76
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: 28 york rd South Kensington joburg
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #1292 on: October 09, 2014, 08:41:51 AM »
WK and myself are hitting Silverstroom tomorrow if any of you guys are keen and maybe eindekuil on Sunday :hnthnt:


Might just join you 2 Brownie girl Scouts ( Homes could pull in later in the day as well ), if all goes well I wanna be on the water at Dawns Crack.
Awesome stuff!!! Are you talking about tomorrow?
Reach for a bream!

Offline Lichia amia

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #1293 on: October 09, 2014, 08:42:50 AM »
WK and myself are hitting Silverstroom tomorrow if any of you guys are keen and maybe eindekuil on Sunday :hnthnt:


Might just join you 2 Brownie girl Scouts ( Homes could pull in later in the day as well ), if all goes well I wanna be on the water at Dawns Crack.
Awesome stuff!!! Are you talking about tomorrow?


Yip , Friday 10 Oct 2014

Offline gavin erwin

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 808
  • Cred: 76
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: 28 york rd South Kensington joburg
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #1294 on: October 09, 2014, 08:46:46 AM »
WK and myself are hitting Silverstroom tomorrow if any of you guys are keen and maybe eindekuil on Sunday :hnthnt:


Might just join you 2 Brownie girl Scouts ( Homes could pull in later in the day as well ), if all goes well I wanna be on the water at Dawns Crack.
Awesome stuff!!! Are you talking about tomorrow?


Yip , Friday 10 Oct 2014
(clap) :fshn: :frid
Reach for a bream!

Offline gavin erwin

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 808
  • Cred: 76
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: 28 york rd South Kensington joburg
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #1295 on: October 11, 2014, 05:03:07 PM »
Another Friday Session. The rain didn't stop us for long. I managed 5 yellows and 2 muddies. And my biggest of the season, I didn't weigh it but it was a good fish.   :fshn:
Reach for a bream!

Offline gavin erwin

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 808
  • Cred: 76
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: 28 york rd South Kensington joburg
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #1296 on: October 11, 2014, 05:03:47 PM »
2 more pics
Reach for a bream!

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #1297 on: October 12, 2014, 09:59:17 AM »
Smashing fish there Gavin! What flies were producing?

Offline gavin erwin

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 808
  • Cred: 76
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: 28 york rd South Kensington joburg
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #1298 on: October 12, 2014, 10:19:49 AM »
Smashing fish there Gavin! What flies were producing?
:tkx:  Rory, my little home made PTN Hotspots and Flashback nymph were doing the trick :fshn:
Reach for a bream!

Offline Lichia amia

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #1299 on: October 12, 2014, 06:29:04 PM »
Thanks Chaps had an awesome day. Haven't fished that hard in a long time. Was proper buggered  on Friday evening. 

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal