Author Topic: Vaal River Update  (Read 566803 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #400 on: November 04, 2011, 10:18:35 PM »
Or time your fishing well. For Sunday that is.
 
The fish feed on rising flows. They normally start opening the Barrage slowly from the Saterday evening. Be at Strome at around 05:00 fishing, you can fish the highest flow of 80 tons there if you are carefull ( around 10:00 ) . Eendekuil from around 06:00 - 11:00.
And so the "parade ' goes on, all the way down river. Remember close to and below Potch  that water will only get there on Monday.

 :shk   Fishing in rising flows makes me just a tad nervous!!

Yup I've noticed that.  :-)
 
The golden rule on the Vaal is: If you feel uncomfortable or cold where you are fishing, then back off.!
 
Do not take risks, especially if you are on your own, and even more so if it's your first trip.
You may have an experiened oke helping you, and if so, don't be hero, tell him you are uncomfortable.
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #401 on: November 14, 2011, 05:04:27 PM »
A whole goup of us fished the Vaal at Eastco yesterday. I picked Lichia/Craig up at sparrows and met my brother Russ, his son Luke and Pops halfway at the One Stop before meeting the rest of the guys at the river. At eastco we met up with Nico/Monster, Bryan, Wewrner and Herman.
 
Conditions wise it was blisteringly hot, the water was warm enough to wet wade and the vis was atleast 400mm. The flows were very slow, no more than 10 cubes and the river is still very low. Fortunately the snot grass wasn't an issue. I think most of the guys managed to land fish, and even a few "mermaids" came out, Nico's first "mermaid" being the fish of the day, an easy 5kgs on a size 14 hook and a 6 weight rod. I'm hoping we get an increase in flows for the 27th!
 
Pics:
1. Nico, fish on!
2. Size 14 fly.
3. The grin says it all!

Offline Lichia amia

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #402 on: November 14, 2011, 06:14:57 PM »
A whole goup of us fished the Vaal at Eastco yesterday. I picked Lichia/Craig up at sparrows and met my brother Russ, his son Luke and Pops halfway at the One Stop before meeting the rest of the guys at the river. At eastco we met up with Nico/Monster, Bryan, Wewrner and Herman.
 
Conditions wise it was blisteringly hot, the water was warm enough to wet wade and the vis was atleast 400mm. The flows were very slow, no more than 10 cubes and the river is still very low. Fortunately the snot grass wasn't an issue. I think most of the guys managed to land fish, and even a few "mermaids" came out, Nico's first "mermaid" being the fish of the day, an easy 5kgs on a size 14 hook and a 6 weight rod. I'm hoping we get an increase in flows for the 27th!
 
Pics:
1. Nico, fish on!
2. Size 14 fly.
3. The grin says it all!

Thanks chaps for a lekker day out .
 
I blanked properly  :unhap :unhap :unhap !!!! When I got home I seriously considered setting  ALL my fishing gear alight and urinating on the burning gear. Not going through a very good patch fishing wise  :-( !!!
 
Strangely I saw a 3kg plus bright orange Koi  :shk feeding in 50cm water with his whole body visible . Wonder how he got there and what damage a couple of Koi’s can do to our Yellow fish population.
 

Offline Half-Pint

  • CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3712
  • Cred: 223
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Boksburg
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #403 on: November 14, 2011, 06:31:25 PM »
I'd say less damage than your normal carp. The juveniles will be easily visible to predators and if they come from a few individuals introduced to the river it will be a v ery small gene pool resulting in excessive in breeding. Just think in a few months they will all be driving round in cortinas barefoot and toothless just like Brakpan!

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #404 on: November 14, 2011, 09:44:13 PM »
A great morning out , thanks to all who arrived. For me fishing was very slow, by 08:30 all I had caught was 3 sticks and a long lost landing net  :blush:
Rory's brother got the first yellow ( I think he was the first ) shortly followed by his son, witha nice fish. ( Sorry still got to download and then upload the pics. )
 
Bryan landed a nice sm , but instead of falling over, let it slip out the net before I could take the photie :dunno:
 
Deon had a few good fish on for a while, that I saw.
 
I hooked a barbel, that snapped me off. A yellow which Craig / Lichia witnessed was virtually in the net, and then gone ( Long Line Release  :blush:  ), and then "something ", which just took off straight ACROSS the river to the willows  :cnfzd  I tried to add some brakes with the finger on the line and just got a line burn. Tightened the drag and palmed the reel. 'cos by then the strike indicator was under the willows.
The "something" turns and comes straight back at me  :shk . 10ft rod up high and reeling in like mad to keep some pressure on. Side ways turn by the fish and my flyline goes sailing past me :-(
 
Do leguaans take a size 10 Humpy's Favourite  :cnfzd ?  12 lb leader snapped and not on a knot/ :dunno: :dunno:
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline Schallie

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 2
  • Cred: 0
  • Location: Klerksdorp, North West
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #405 on: November 15, 2011, 07:06:22 AM »
"Strangely I saw a 3kg plus bright orange Koi     feeding in 50cm water with his whole body visible . Wonder how he got   there and what damage a couple of Koi’s can do to our Yellow fish   population."

I once came across a Koi at Oord Nebo, feeding in the snot grass.

Offline Monster

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 270
  • Cred: 9
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Centurion
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #406 on: November 15, 2011, 07:20:22 AM »
Hi Rory
 
Thanks for the awesome pics. That barbel gave me a seriouse run for my money. The tally for the day between Andries and myself was two baby yellows less than 10cm long also n the same size 14. Gready buggers!
 
Two mermaids for me and one for Andries.
Andries's barbel picked him up as we where wading to the shore after the morning session. He was looking forward to a nice cold ond one and was just flipping his flies without concentrating on the drift. The next second a mermaid picked him up with the speed of a dog with iets tail on fire.  It swam aroud him forcining him to do something that can only be described as a matrix move. Beding backwards and wiveling 180 degrees at the same time. A yoga teacher would have been proud.
 
Then the barbel headed down stream forcing Andries to follow him over some big rocks. Exactly where you don't want to go during a big fight with diving booties on. Anyway after a massive fight and Andries asking me if his rod was a 4 wt. The barbel came out to be lip landed.  The first hook came out and the second hook cought him in the middle of his body on the flank. So he could just turn himself side ways in the current and rest while Andries had to fight the drag. What a massive fight!
 
 
Thank you for everbody that was theresome times iets not as important where you fish but who you fish with and this trip was never short af great anglers. 

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #407 on: November 15, 2011, 08:03:53 AM »
...................Wonder how he got there and what damage a couple of Koi’s can do to our Yellow fish population.

...I once came across a Koi at Oord Nebo, feeding in the snot grass.

I stand to be corrected here, but I doubt that koi or normal carp have any impact on the yellowfish at all. :corrct: Now if we start discussing Bass and Grass carp against our indeginous yellows, we open up a very nasty can of worms.....

Offline Poenskop

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 455
  • Cred: 35
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Port Elizabeth
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #408 on: November 15, 2011, 09:07:59 AM »
I went fishing near Ben Jo Saturday for a morning session with my brother-in-law. The fishing was really hard and we struggled to connect. I did manage a 1.8kg, 600g and a small 10cm yellow. I got broken off by a monster on the strike aswell. I need to tie some flies again. After Christiana and this Saturday I am seriously depleted. Will post picks as soon as I get them from the camera.

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #409 on: November 15, 2011, 09:28:08 AM »
......I need to tie some flies again. After Christiana and this Saturday I am seriously depleted.....

Lets make a plan, I think I've still got a bottle of William Robertsons...... :hnthnt:

Offline Poenskop

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 455
  • Cred: 35
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Port Elizabeth
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #410 on: November 15, 2011, 09:46:03 AM »
Then I will have to buy some flies to show the missus :frid

Offline Garrick

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 320
  • Cred: 30
  • Gender: Male
  • The Gentleman of the Sea
  • Location: Centurion
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #411 on: November 15, 2011, 09:55:41 AM »
When is the next trip Rory?I would love to join you guys.
don't worry Craig,I am sure you will get a monster in the next trip.If not then Ihave some grenades which will make fishing much easier for you....... :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :crzy :crzy :hehe: :crzy :crzy
Nice barbel there Monster.Must gave you a decnet revvvvvving.I got one on a size 16 fly which was about 60cm but boy was my arms sore...........I can imagine what that did to your muscles.
Winners don't quit and Quitters don't win.

Offline diamonddogs

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 40
  • Cred: 10
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #412 on: November 15, 2011, 10:01:40 AM »
......I need to tie some flies again. After Christiana and this Saturday I am seriously depleted.....

Lets make a plan, I think I've still got a bottle of William Robertsons...... :hnthnt:

You liar - it is a bottle of Robertson - nê :hyst:



Offline icstuff

  • The Ultimate Clown
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1105
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • It's the Water's fault!
  • Location: Meyerton
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #413 on: November 15, 2011, 10:15:58 AM »
When is the next trip Rory?I would love to join you guys.
don't worry Craig,I am sure you will get a monster in the next trip.If not then Ihave some grenades which will make fishing much easier for you....... :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :crzy :crzy :hehe: :crzy :crzy
Nice barbel there Monster.Must gave you a decnet revvvvvving.I got one on a size 16 fly which was about 60cm but boy was my arms sore...........I can imagine what that did to your muscles.

I will also be able to make this weekend!
What flies produced the weekend?
Squid Happens!

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #414 on: November 15, 2011, 10:24:14 AM »
Then I will have to buy some flies to show the missus :frid

 :hyst:
n Boer maak n plan!! I like your cunning and forethought!! Good man, strong man! :hnthnt:

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #415 on: November 15, 2011, 10:25:36 AM »


You liar - it is a bottle of Robertson - nê :hyst:



 :hyst: :hyst:   Whahahaha!! Too sharp!

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #416 on: November 15, 2011, 10:33:48 AM »
....When is the next trip Rory?I would love to join you guys....

Riyaadh, check this link: http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php/topic,7133.0.html
You more than welcome to join us!
 
 
I will also be able to make this weekend!
What flies produced the weekend?

Pieter I'm not sure who's fishing where this weekend, unfortunately I have to entertain the "out laws" this weekend so I won't be fishing..... :cry:

Offline icstuff

  • The Ultimate Clown
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1105
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • It's the Water's fault!
  • Location: Meyerton
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #417 on: November 15, 2011, 10:41:31 AM »
 :hehe: enjoy
I am sure herman will hit the water it is like his second home.
Squid Happens!

Offline Garrick

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 320
  • Cred: 30
  • Gender: Male
  • The Gentleman of the Sea
  • Location: Centurion
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #418 on: November 15, 2011, 10:44:35 AM »
....When is the next trip Rory?I would love to join you guys....

Riyaadh, check this link: http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php/topic,7133.0.html
You more than welcome to join us!
 
 
I will also be able to make this weekend!
What flies produced the weekend?

Pieter I'm not sure who's fishing where this weekend, unfortunately I have to entertain the "out laws" this weekend so I won't be fishing..... :cry:

 Thanks Rory,Is it for the 27th November?If so I cannto make that day....damn....... :-( :-( :-(
any other day will be fine.I need some practice before I hit the Bergs form 2-9 Dec.I need to meet you if possible as I need some help.
Winners don't quit and Quitters don't win.

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #419 on: November 15, 2011, 10:50:58 AM »
Riyaadh I think some guys are going for the whole weekend? I can only make the 27th for that weekend, although I'm working on getting there for the 26th...... :hnthnt:

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal