Author Topic: Vaal River Update  (Read 566835 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #180 on: January 18, 2011, 04:10:01 PM »
Hi Guys,
Last Sunday I put a small theory to the test and fished the Vaal at flows of in excess of 500 tons. I was well pleased, got 3 yellows and 2 muddies.
All of the fish except 1 yellow (  a rubberlips of around 2kg ) were under 500g.
This proved 3 things.
Firstly fish feed whatever, secondly the babies are streetwise ito floods, thirdly look for a venue, that when flooded, ( or high water ) has a  gently sloping terrain that you would normally walk over to get to the water in normal flows.

Super stuff Herman. What flies were producing?
PS: Sorry I couldn't join you Sunday, I was a litlle delicate after the "fly tying" on Saturday....... :pot:

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #181 on: January 19, 2011, 09:51:02 PM »
Super stuff Herman. What flies were producing?
PS: Sorry I couldn't join you Sunday, I was a litlle delicate after the "fly tying" on Saturday....... :pot:

All fish were caught on a yellow/lime flexi floss control fly # 10, TIED ALA  Rory "red Humpy special " but with a slimish body ( only 12 or so  wraps of 0.20 lead ) and a 3.5 mm tungsten bead.
I had to add a fairly split at the dropper connection to get the whole rig down though.
What was interesting that I changed point flies a about 10 times, with absolutely no takes . ?????
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline schloshd1

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 278
  • Cred: 31
  • Location: Kelvin, Jozi
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #182 on: January 20, 2011, 06:16:07 AM »
All fish were caught on a yellow/lime flexi floss control fly # 10, TIED ALA  Rory "red Humpy special " but with a slimish body ( only 12 or so  wraps of 0.20 lead ) and a 3.5 mm tungsten bead.
I had to add a fairly split at the dropper connection to get the whole rig down though.
What was interesting that I changed point flies a about 10 times, with absolutely no takes . ?????

did you try adding another one of the control flies that was working as a point fly?
I'm a weekend drinker, I start on Saturday and end on Friday - Bill Hicks

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #183 on: January 21, 2011, 11:15:50 AM »
A quick update on the Vaal flows. The Vaal dam is down to 97% full and the flows have dropped big time, but at over 200 cubes, still way to high to fish most spots. If anyone is heading to the Vaal remember to please check the flows on the dwaf website:

http://www.dwaf.gov.za/Hydrology/rtmain.aspx

"Outflow from Vaal" dam will tell you how much water is being released, "Vaal at Lethabo" is the flow past the power station outside Vanderbijl and "Vaal at Goose Bay Canyon" is the flow between the Barrage and Parys. Please use these figures as an indicator to wading. Generally speaking, flows of 40 and less are prefered!

Offline icstuff

  • The Ultimate Clown
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1105
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • It's the Water's fault!
  • Location: Meyerton
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #184 on: January 21, 2011, 11:45:16 AM »
Thank you Rory!
Will have to give you  :beer: next time I see you
Squid Happens!

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #185 on: January 21, 2011, 02:38:19 PM »
No problemo Pieter!
Those flows can change pretty rapidly (no pun intended) and we don't want anybody ending up with an unplanned drift to Upington! :shk

Offline icstuff

  • The Ultimate Clown
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1105
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • It's the Water's fault!
  • Location: Meyerton
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #186 on: January 21, 2011, 02:40:36 PM »
Saw a boat come loose from its mooring during the flood, not a pretty at all
Squid Happens!

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #187 on: January 23, 2011, 08:56:26 PM »
OMR, Rory, Schlossie, Bryan, Jan & I visited location X today. The flows were half of last week which made the fishing a bit od a search issue.

Jan was fishing pap from the bank, into waist deep water, and cleaned up. :resp: He got 7 juvie yellows and one very  respectable carp. :happ:

Between us 5 f/f we had a few "on offs" as well as 5 fish landed. 4 out of the 5 were sm yellows. :vio

High water levels se moer. :crzy :hehe:
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline G!enn

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 211
  • Cred: 29
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: N.I
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #188 on: January 23, 2011, 09:11:13 PM »
OMR, Rory, Schlossie, Bryan, Jan & I visited location X today. The flows were half of last week which made the fishing a bit od a search issue.

Jan was fishing pap from the bank, into waist deep water, and cleaned up. :resp: He got 7 juvie yellows and one very  respectable carp. :happ:

Between us 5 f/f we had a few "on offs" as well as 5 fish landed. 4 out of the 5 were sm yellows. :vio

High water levels se ** . :crzy :hehe:

Great stuff, Herman  :sml:
'In The Eyes Of A Child You Will See..... The World As It Should Be.'

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #189 on: January 25, 2011, 10:06:23 PM »
Thanks  Glenn, it's a theory that I ahve been testing for about a month or so. :sml:

As I said in one of your earlier diaries posts, KNOW YOUR VENUE. This applies specifically to the terrain above the normal water line. i.e. If the water pushes up 5 -  10  metres, where , if anywhere, will there be water that the fish wil "retreat" to, but still be able to feed. Fish have to eat after all,other than die.

Would like to try my theory on a few other venues, flows permitting. :lolo:
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline G!enn

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 211
  • Cred: 29
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: N.I
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #190 on: January 25, 2011, 10:08:49 PM »
Thanks  Glenn, it's a theory that I ahve been testing for about a month or so. :sml:

As I said in one of your earlier diaries posts, KNOW YOUR VENUE. This applies specifically to the terrain above the normal water line. i.e. If the water pushes up 5 -  10  metres, where , if anywhere, will there be water that the fish wil "retreat" to, but still be able to feed. Fish have to eat after all,other than die.

Would like to try my theory on a few other venues, flows permitting. :lolo:

You obviously know what your doing.. follow your own heart!

+1 credit for you!
'In The Eyes Of A Child You Will See..... The World As It Should Be.'

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #191 on: January 25, 2011, 10:15:06 PM »
Thanks Glenn. Hopefully the flows below the Barrage will drop to around 200 tons for this weekend . If so I have a venue in my sights. :happ:
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #192 on: January 26, 2011, 06:37:42 AM »
Thanks Glenn. Hopefully the flows below the Barrage will drop to around 200 tons for this weekend . If so I have a venue in my sights. :happ:

Its still way over 500 cumex and with the rain falling this morning it may stay that way for a while

http://www.dwaf.gov.za/Hydrology/rtmain.aspx

But it look like the next week no rain has been predicted...  :happ:

Offline icstuff

  • The Ultimate Clown
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1105
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • It's the Water's fault!
  • Location: Meyerton
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #193 on: January 26, 2011, 12:41:17 PM »
Flow is at 1000 tons per second, heard about two chaps braving lesser flow that came out 2km later
Squid Happens!

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #194 on: January 27, 2011, 09:33:58 AM »
.....As I said in one of your earlier diaries posts, KNOW YOUR VENUE. This applies specifically to the terrain above the normal water line....

What Herman says cannot be stressed enough! If you've never fished a venue don't even try to go fish in these big flows. Even having fished said venue numerous times before, I was as nervous as hell with that water raging past - I never went past "ball"depth!!! Scary stuff!! Personally I don't think I'll fish in big flows again, this water gives the term "The Vaal Shuffle" a completely new meaning! :shk
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 09:34:36 AM by Rory »

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #195 on: January 27, 2011, 08:49:22 PM »
.- I never went past "ball"depth!!! Scary stuff!! Personally I don't think I'll fish in big flows again, this water gives the term "The Vaal Shuffle" a completely new meaning! :shk

Rory is quite right here. I'm fairly used to wading strong water, and the GOLDEN  RULE is,  if you feel uncomfortable or uncertain about your footing,or the water is lifting your back leg whilst wading "crab wise" across or up, then back off and get back.

If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #196 on: February 06, 2011, 06:20:54 PM »
I got the opportunity to sneak out to location X this morning with Jan and Bryan.

It seems that more blokes are riding around looking for venues, as by 11:00 there  were 7 ohter f/f onthe water swr.

Everyone got fish, as far as I could see.

My first 2 were on the control ( # 10 olive flexi flos with a pink thorax, aka Rory's Red Humpy. The rest were caught on a #16 V olive rib caddis with peacock herl as the thorax.

How the hell those fish saw that fly in very muddy water beats me?

But hey, a fish landed is a blessing  (clap)
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline G!enn

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 211
  • Cred: 29
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: N.I
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #197 on: February 06, 2011, 06:38:25 PM »
Fab stuff, Herman .. Good to see @ least you caught.
'In The Eyes Of A Child You Will See..... The World As It Should Be.'

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #198 on: February 07, 2011, 08:36:12 AM »
I got the opportunity to sneak out to location X this morning with Jan and Bryan.

It seems that more blokes are riding around looking for venues, as by 11:00 there  were 7 ohter f/f onthe water swr.

Everyone got fish, as far as I could see.

My first 2 were on the control ( # 10 olive flexi flos with a pink thorax, aka Rory's Red Humpy. The rest were caught on a #16 V olive rib caddis with peacock herl as the thorax.

How the hell those fish saw that fly in very muddy water beats me?

But hey, a fish landed is a blessing  (clap)

Nice going Herman! It is amazing how the fish pick up the flies in dirty water! Now you see why I like size 18's in clean water!!  :hnthnt: what were the flows at? 600?? :craz: :resp:
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 08:36:39 AM by Rory »

Offline schloshd1

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 278
  • Cred: 31
  • Location: Kelvin, Jozi
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #199 on: February 07, 2011, 09:16:02 AM »
Nice going Herman! It is amazing how the fish pick up the flies in dirty water! Now you see why I like size 18's in clean water!!  :hnthnt: what were the flows at? 600?? :craz: :resp:

If you like #18s in "clean" Vaal water then you have to give Sterkies a visit, you will be raiding my size 32s. I was blown away by the water clarity there.
I'm a weekend drinker, I start on Saturday and end on Friday - Bill Hicks

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal