Author Topic: Vaal River Update  (Read 566839 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Lichia amia

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #260 on: April 25, 2011, 08:41:07 PM »
Never nice to blank but I must add its my 3rd trip on the fly and my first blank . I was starting to think Yellows on the fly is a given on every outing so its back to earth for me. In terms of equipment and tackle needed to cart along and the short walks still the easiest form of fishing I've done. 

Cheers
Lichia Billy Blanks Amia


Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #261 on: April 25, 2011, 09:08:25 PM »
Never nice to blank but I must add its my 3rd trip on the fly and my first blank . I was starting to think Yellows on the fly is a given on every outing so its back to earth for me. In terms of equipment and tackle needed to cart along and the short walks still the easiest form of fishing I've done.  Cheers
Lichia Billy Blanks Amia

Craig, we'eve been gentle with you ( are far as easy venues are concerned ). Now that you are "hooked" it's time to "take the gloves off" so to speak. :shk :shk

I think GVP, topmost venue is on the cards for next  Sunday. 

It will probably be the the last or  2nd to last time we can fish it this "summer" season. Autumn is gone and winter is here, w;k
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline Lichia amia

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #262 on: April 26, 2011, 07:31:29 AM »
In terms of equipment and tackle needed to cart along and the short walks still the easiest form of fishing I've done. 

Herman no disrespect to Yellows on the fly, but have a look what I cart a long on a fly outing compared to a Rock & Surf outing.

Have a look at http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php/topic,4800.0.html

« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 07:33:12 AM by Lichia amia »

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #263 on: April 26, 2011, 09:10:44 PM »
I see your point!  :shk

Imagine having a Sherpa/ Ghillie wading behind you on the Vaal with all the kit.  :crzy :hehe: :hehe: :hehe:
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline Monster

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 270
  • Cred: 9
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Centurion
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #264 on: April 28, 2011, 07:44:39 AM »
Im sorry I missed the first Groenpunt outing. Got Rorys SMS much to late.   

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #265 on: April 28, 2011, 06:26:26 PM »
Im sorry I missed the first Groenpunt outing. Got Rorys SMS much to late.

Strafdop Nico!!
The river temp had dropped by 2 degrees over the week prior to us fishing which leads to fish lockjaw. I think I'll give nymphing a last go this weekend, but definately below the barrage, hopefully the water will be a bit warmer there. Anybody keen?

Offline schloshd1

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 278
  • Cred: 31
  • Location: Kelvin, Jozi
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #266 on: April 28, 2011, 07:43:10 PM »
Monday! doing a pre-season drift/ LM casting practice fshg
I'm a weekend drinker, I start on Saturday and end on Friday - Bill Hicks

Offline Williaby

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 26
  • Cred: 0
  • Location: Jhb
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #267 on: April 28, 2011, 08:14:45 PM »
I see your point!  :shk

Imagine having a Sherpa/ Ghillie wading behind you on the Vaal with all the kit.  :crzy :hehe: :hehe: :hehe:

You joke... I have actually seen a guy doing that when fishing at Oord Nebo. It was like having a caddy  :lolo:

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #268 on: April 28, 2011, 09:20:35 PM »
Strafdop Nico!!
The river temp had dropped by 2 degrees over the week prior to us fishing which leads to fish lockjaw. I think I'll give nymphing a last go this weekend, but definately below the barrage, hopefully the water will be a bit warmer there. Anybody keen?

Between Bryan & I we wil keep you in the loop.  w;k

We're definately fishing Sunday, and it looks like Bryan's Wed venue. :clwn
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #269 on: April 28, 2011, 09:24:07 PM »
You joke... I have actually seen a guy doing that when fishing at Oord Nebo. It was like having a caddy  :lolo:

Now that is how to abuse your guide  :unhap.

There again if you are the guide and he pays in Pounds, then I would do it for 1800 of them for a day. :hnthnt: :crzy :hehe:
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #270 on: May 02, 2011, 06:53:21 PM »
Right, so Rory and I, and Flyfanatic ( Jaco ), were the only non girls ( except for a member who was doing something NEARLY as pleasant, with his missus on a dirty weekend  :rck" ) hit Silverstrome on Sunday.
Must say, it was the first time EVER that Rory has been late ! (I'll let him explain the reason, :hehe: ).
The mist was still thick, the flows near perfect, the water temp a bit cold for summer tactics, but hey, the last of the Summer tricks and off we went.
The topography, above and below water has changed at this venue after the floods, so it was go slow, go carefull.
Rory had the first, second , third and fourth hookups. All good looking stickfish, the longestabout 50cm :shk.

Meanwhile I was having fun with the plenty and persistant hard fighting rockfish, with a few stick fish thrown in as well. :cnfzd

We fished untill around 10:30 when "Breakfast" was really calling.

Rory had an on off ( I think ), I got 3 muddies, all on different flies :cnfzd, and as far as I know from an SMS  later Jaco struggled in the afternoon / evening session.

What a brilliant way to end the summer.  :happ: Good friends, only us on the river, Fish Eagles cries taunting us , and the promise of winter fishing the Vaal, ( which is VERY, VERY SPECIAL ) just around the corner. :fshn: fshg
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline schloshd1

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 278
  • Cred: 31
  • Location: Kelvin, Jozi
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #271 on: May 02, 2011, 07:31:13 PM »
Right, so Rory and I, and Flyfanatic ( Jaco ), were the only non girls ( except for a member who was doing something NEARLY as pleasant, with his missus on a dirty weekend  :rck" ) hit Silverstrome on Sunday.
Must say, it was the first time EVER that Rory has been late ! (I'll let him explain the reason, :hehe: ).
The mist was still thick, the flows near perfect, the water temp a bit cold for summer tactics, but hey, the last of the Summer tricks and off we went.
The topography, above and below water has changed at this venue after the floods, so it was go slow, go carefull.
Rory had the first, second , third and fourth hookups. All good looking stickfish, the longestabout 50cm :shk.

Meanwhile I was having fun with the plenty and persistant hard fighting rockfish, with a few stick fish thrown in as well. :cnfzd

We fished untill around 10:30 when "Breakfast" was really calling.

Rory had an on off ( I think ), I got 3 muddies, all on different flies :cnfzd, and as far as I know from an SMS  later Jaco struggled in the afternoon / evening session.

What a brilliant way to end the summer.  :happ: Good friends, only us on the river, Fish Eagles cries taunting us , and the promise of winter fishing the Vaal, ( which is VERY, VERY SPECIAL ) just around the corner. :fshn: fshg


Great report back Herman (clap)

Four of us went for the first of this year's largie sessions/casting  practice today. We took the inflatables and went and checked out a piece of water that we had not been to before. Viz is still bad and probably will be for at least another month. Needles to say, we blanked. Still it was a great day on the water and i'm looking forward to many more blank sessions for largies on the Vaal this winter and hopefully one or two that pay off as well w;k
I'm a weekend drinker, I start on Saturday and end on Friday - Bill Hicks

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #272 on: May 02, 2011, 08:48:11 PM »
Thanks Andrew. Good report yourself.

My "Practise / Casting failures" start next weekend ( Sunday ).

Taking the Croc above the weir into the "canyons" behind the wires.  :craz: :nuts:

This gives me 3 options in a space of +- 500m . LM, SM on dry, as well as fast water/ slower water into the throat of the pool SM nymphs.

BET YOU I BLANK. :shk :hehe: :hehe:
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline Lichia amia

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #273 on: May 03, 2011, 08:42:22 AM »
Lekker report as always Herman .

Looking forward too the winter challenge.    :trout: and Lm

Offline diamonddogs

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 40
  • Cred: 10
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #274 on: May 03, 2011, 09:23:58 AM »
Also went out on Sunday to Arendsnes (Knew the crowds would not be there because of the weather).
Arrived at 10:00 and started fishing around 10:30. All three of us landed fish in quick succession. The flows were probably around 38 which made wading damn hard, especially since my wading stick broke off on the OTHER side of the river.

Lost plenty fish in the fast flowing rapids after 30 sec to 1 minute fights. The fish were taking the flies seriously aggressively and most fish were taken on red (jelly) brassies with orange tungsten beads.

The next two week-ends should be spectacular if the afternoon temperature hovers around the 22- 24'C mark and you fish from 10:00 to about 17:00.

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #275 on: May 03, 2011, 09:04:24 PM »
Great report back Mario, ( know I know who you are  :-)). Arends difficult at 38 :cnfzd :cnfzd

You've been spending too much time on your "private" small streams boet w;k :hehe:

Great to see you here.

If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline schloshd1

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 278
  • Cred: 31
  • Location: Kelvin, Jozi
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #276 on: May 23, 2011, 06:24:29 AM »
I fished the Vaal with a mate yesterday. Ended up getting my first largemouth, caught on a black MSP stripped through the tail out of some rapids
I'm a weekend drinker, I start on Saturday and end on Friday - Bill Hicks

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #277 on: May 23, 2011, 07:56:02 AM »
Nice one Andrew!  :clfoto:  Where did you guys fish?

Offline schloshd1

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 278
  • Cred: 31
  • Location: Kelvin, Jozi
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #278 on: May 23, 2011, 09:13:46 AM »
Thanks Rory, we fished the tail out of some gentle rapids just before a drop off, that's as much as I can say on open forum w;k
I'm a weekend drinker, I start on Saturday and end on Friday - Bill Hicks

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #279 on: May 23, 2011, 09:42:38 PM »
Thanks Rory, we fished the tail out of some gentle rapids just before a drop off, that's as much as I can say on open forum w;k

Well done Andrew. 1st of the winter. fshg :happ: :envy
 
 :shre:    & the invite NOT, you  :unhap
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal