Author Topic: Share Your Lure Collections  (Read 18005 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: Share Your Lure Collections
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2011, 09:13:07 AM »
 :hehe: :hehe:

Offline Eric Roberts

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 148
  • Cred: 7
  • Fish for Fun -- Catch & Release
  • Location: Despatch, Eastern Cape
Re: Share Your Lure Collections
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2011, 07:34:08 PM »
This is just more proof of why Angling is a bigger tax generator than all the other sports put together. Why o why do we need so many??????  Far more of us are caught than fish.
 :fshn: :fshn: :fshn: 
I know life's a gamble, but I'm taking that chance anyway.

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Share Your Lure Collections
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2011, 08:23:20 PM »
Why o why do we need so many??????
 :fshn: :fshn: :fshn:

Cos we can. And some of them are VERY pretty.

Offline Eric Roberts

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 148
  • Cred: 7
  • Fish for Fun -- Catch & Release
  • Location: Despatch, Eastern Cape
Re: Share Your Lure Collections
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2011, 11:18:26 PM »
Cos we can. And some of them are VERY pretty.


Ja  they certainly are pretty ...can't stop buying them either.
I know life's a gamble, but I'm taking that chance anyway.

Offline tackle whore

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 196
  • Cred: 15
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: cape town
Re: Share Your Lure Collections
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2011, 12:06:11 AM »
its never a case of need its a case of want !!!!

Offline Ziggy

  • Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1672
  • Cred: 182
  • Gender: Male
  • Teeth that bite!
  • Location: Durban
Re: Share Your Lure Collections
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2011, 08:29:53 AM »
lets look at it another way - is the number of lures you have in direct proportion to your age and the nuber of years you have been fishing - I have some lures that are over 30yrs old.....I have so many becasue I have had a very long time to collect.

The same applies to the number of rods and reels I have.. Way too many! (and a lot of them not used for years). Lately I have been giving rods and reels away to needy fishermen, because I will never use some of them again and rather than let them hide in a box in my storeroom, I would rather see them being used. Late last year I gave 4 boat reels and 6 rods to young anglers in Maputo (Maritimo had a programme for young anglers)

Offline Eric Roberts

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 148
  • Cred: 7
  • Fish for Fun -- Catch & Release
  • Location: Despatch, Eastern Cape
Re: Share Your Lure Collections
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2011, 01:02:59 PM »
I have replaced all my rods and reels in the past year and donated  7 rods and 4 reels to less fortunate anglers. They were just starting to gather dust anyway. Two rods and reels were stolen from the angler I gave them to a week later. The wife will go ape if she knew how much I've spent on tackle and lures etc etc this year.
 :nuts: :craz:
I know life's a gamble, but I'm taking that chance anyway.

Offline Cam Mundy

  • Offshore Spinning Enthusiast
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1178
  • Cred: 93
  • Gender: Male
  • Keep Casting!
  • Location: Papua New Gunea
Re: Share Your Lure Collections
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2011, 01:31:29 PM »
just cleaned up the man cave a bit this is what isn't packed away in boxes

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: Share Your Lure Collections
« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2011, 01:40:22 PM »
Nice stuff Cam  :happ:

Offline Prego

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2880
  • Cred: 167
  • Gender: Male
  • Because I said so
  • Location: Glenvista, Johannesburg
Re: Share Your Lure Collections
« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2011, 01:43:43 PM »
@ Cam is that wire your rappies are rigged with?

Offline Cam Mundy

  • Offshore Spinning Enthusiast
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1178
  • Cred: 93
  • Gender: Male
  • Keep Casting!
  • Location: Papua New Gunea
Re: Share Your Lure Collections
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2011, 01:46:38 PM »
@ Cam is that wire your rappies are rigged with?

Correct they have different gauges for the different lures and the trace length varies as well depending on whether we're looking for Snoek Tuna or Cuta
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 01:50:14 PM by Cam Mundy »

Offline Prego

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2880
  • Cred: 167
  • Gender: Male
  • Because I said so
  • Location: Glenvista, Johannesburg
Re: Share Your Lure Collections
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2011, 01:53:47 PM »
@ Cam is that wire your rappies are rigged with?

Correct they have different gauges for the different lures and the trace length varies as well depending on whether we're looking for Snoek Tuna or Cuta


 :tkx: I have always wondered what the hook up percentage  difference is from using wire or mono but have never fished an area where the toothy critters are dik, I guess I will experiment with this in December.

Offline Cam Mundy

  • Offshore Spinning Enthusiast
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1178
  • Cred: 93
  • Gender: Male
  • Keep Casting!
  • Location: Papua New Gunea
Re: Share Your Lure Collections
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2011, 05:27:05 PM »
@ Cam is that wire your rappies are rigged with?

Correct they have different gauges for the different lures and the trace length varies as well depending on whether we're looking for Snoek Tuna or Cuta



 :tkx: I have always wondered what the hook up percentage  difference is from using wire or mono but have never fished an area where the toothy critters are dik, I guess I will experiment with this in December.
if you're trolling bibbed lure's the chances are something with teeth will nosh it so steel is the way to go. on the traditional magnums we will go for a meter or more of trace in front of the lure you can do less but its a bugger to roll and store  a trace less than that without kinking it. Since we started trolling X-rap which you can you can pull at speeds up up to 16knts  we've found you can shorten the trace as the fish has less time to check it out but its worth going heavier on the trace as wahoo will often hit lures at this speed and they have teeth like chainsaws.

Offline Prego

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2880
  • Cred: 167
  • Gender: Male
  • Because I said so
  • Location: Glenvista, Johannesburg
Re: Share Your Lure Collections
« Reply #53 on: September 20, 2011, 12:29:47 PM »
@ Cam is that wire your rappies are rigged with?

Correct they have different gauges for the different lures and the trace length varies as well depending on whether we're looking for Snoek Tuna or Cuta



 :tkx: I have always wondered what the hook up percentage  difference is from using wire or mono but have never fished an area where the toothy critters are dik, I guess I will experiment with this in December.
if you're trolling bibbed lure's the chances are something with teeth will nosh it so steel is the way to go. on the traditional magnums we will go for a meter or more of trace in front of the lure you can do less but its a bugger to roll and store  a trace less than that without kinking it. Since we started trolling X-rap which you can you can pull at speeds up up to 16knts  we've found you can shorten the trace as the fish has less time to check it out but its worth going heavier on the trace as wahoo will often hit lures at this speed and they have teeth like chainsaws.

What are you pulling rappies from?? 50W??

Offline Cam Mundy

  • Offshore Spinning Enthusiast
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1178
  • Cred: 93
  • Gender: Male
  • Keep Casting!
  • Location: Papua New Gunea
Re: Share Your Lure Collections
« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2011, 02:58:14 PM »
 :hyst: make that KM all the speedo's  are set to metric on our boat
with the x Raps we generally stick to our TLD 25's with the drags locked tight they put a huge amount of pressure on the reels drags especially if you run the rods off you boards like we do 

Offline Prego

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2880
  • Cred: 167
  • Gender: Male
  • Because I said so
  • Location: Glenvista, Johannesburg
Re: Share Your Lure Collections
« Reply #55 on: September 20, 2011, 03:06:50 PM »
 :hehe: :hehe: that's what I thought. We  run them the same but no wire, so we loose one once in a while.

Offline Cam Mundy

  • Offshore Spinning Enthusiast
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1178
  • Cred: 93
  • Gender: Male
  • Keep Casting!
  • Location: Papua New Gunea
Re: Share Your Lure Collections
« Reply #56 on: September 20, 2011, 05:29:20 PM »
:hehe: :hehe: that's what I thought. We  run them the same but no wire, so we loose one once in a while.

Have you noticed an increase in your strike rate with a fluoro leader Prego? I'd be willing to give it a shot if there was a definite increase otherwise it would be an expensive hobby feeding Couta lures?

Offline Prego

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2880
  • Cred: 167
  • Gender: Male
  • Because I said so
  • Location: Glenvista, Johannesburg
Re: Share Your Lure Collections
« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2011, 09:28:56 AM »
Not personally but I plan to test this theory in December, my brother had a huge hook up rate in December using flouro and in a weeks fishing he lost only 2 lures, but he never tried steel.

 sry for the hijack WK 

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: Share Your Lure Collections
« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2011, 11:41:27 AM »
Not personally but I plan to test this theory in December, my brother had a huge hook up rate in December using flouro and in a weeks fishing he lost only 2 lures, but he never tried steel.

sry for the hijack WK
(bat (bat

 :lolo: all good bru!

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal