Author Topic: Vaal River Update  (Read 566811 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #200 on: February 07, 2011, 09:18:59 AM »
If you like #18s in "clean" Vaal water then you have to give Sterkies a visit, you will be raiding my size 32s. I was blown away by the water clarity there.

Eish I'll need to stock up on 6x and 7x.....

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #201 on: February 07, 2011, 10:27:26 PM »
Nice going Herman! It is amazing how the fish pick up the flies in dirty water! Now you see why I like size 18's in clean water!!  :hnthnt: what were the flows at? 600?? :craz: :resp:

Yup, the flows were just under 700, however the bay was still quiet with a bit of a back eddy. The channel that we fished last time was a no go, but a new one had developed right against the first row of Bluegums. w;k

I see that the release has now droppped to 57 ( all  sluices closed ) and Goosebay is down to 220 odd, so the normal venues could be fishable this weekend.  (clap) (clap)
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #202 on: February 08, 2011, 07:43:46 AM »
I see that the release has now droppped to 57 ( all  sluices closed ) and Goosebay is down to 220 odd, so the normal venues could be fishable this weekend.  (clap) (clap)

AT LAST!!!!! Some good news! :happ: :happ:

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #203 on: February 08, 2011, 09:00:00 PM »
AT LAST!!!!! Some good news! :happ: :happ:
Dam release tonight still 57 and Goosebay down to 87. :happ:

We are fishing this Sunday. Venue still to be decided on flows closer to the time. fshg
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline G!enn

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 211
  • Cred: 29
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: N.I
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #204 on: February 08, 2011, 09:02:41 PM »
Dam release tonight still 57 and Goosebay down to 87. :happ:

We are fishing this Sunday. Venue still to be decided on flows closer to the time. fshg

Hope you guy's have good weather this sunday.. Jezz this sundays fishing for me is going to be Torrential rain and wind again!

You have PM Herman.  :sml:
'In The Eyes Of A Child You Will See..... The World As It Should Be.'

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #205 on: February 13, 2011, 01:56:31 PM »
Bryan, Jan and I fished Strome this morning. Flows were around 110 when we started and dropped to around 100 by the time we finished.

The visibility must have been 6cm max. :unhap

I see the pumphose has gone, removed by the floods or by the owner, I don;t know. None of the usual rocks were visible, just a solid sheet of  water  from the bank to the island.

There were still rocks and rapids up river towards Streetwise, which I see from a board at the entrance is now open to the general piblic for flyfishing , camping etc. w;k

Wading was indeed tricky, there are quite a few trees/branches etc. trapped under the surface.
Looking at the debris in trees on the island, I reckon the river was a good 6 - 10 metres above todays level at the height of the flood. There was debris as high up as the pandokkies fences.:eek:

The fishing ???????. Well I caught : a cap, ( minus a head thank goodness :eek: ), a plastic bag, 4 trees (submerged ), and a gizillion rocks.

Bryan fared better I think, he got 2 gazillion rocks, and 5 submerged trees, and 2 or 3 trees on the island.:D:D

Jan was bait fishing in a little back eddy below the large willow, and got about 9 fish in all. A few nice yellows on worm ( untill he ran out of them :confused: ) and then some carp and juvenile sm on his secret pap mix.:D:D

All in all, another GREAT morning on the Vaal.:
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline icstuff

  • The Ultimate Clown
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1105
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • It's the Water's fault!
  • Location: Meyerton
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #206 on: February 14, 2011, 08:06:31 AM »
Hope you guy's have good weather this sunday.. Jezz this sundays fishing for me is going to be Torrential rain and wind again!

You have PM Herman.  :sml:

Glenn you going join us on the vaal sometime?
Squid Happens!

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #207 on: February 14, 2011, 08:35:22 AM »

.....The fishing ???????. Well I caught : a cap, ( minus a head thank goodness :eek: ), a plastic bag, 4 trees (submerged ), and a gizillion rocks.

Bryan fared better I think, he got 2 gazillion rocks, and 5 submerged trees, and 2 or 3 trees on the island.:D:D......


Fright fully stubborn on a flyrod those rocks!! :crzy

Offline G!enn

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 211
  • Cred: 29
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: N.I
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #208 on: February 14, 2011, 10:00:07 AM »
Glenn you going join us on the vaal sometime?

Of course.. Carp & cats in there?

O by the way.. as I was expecting a bad day fishing yesterday weather wise.. They got it wrong! Sunny blue skys all day with clouds coming over in the evening time  duh
'In The Eyes Of A Child You Will See..... The World As It Should Be.'

Offline icstuff

  • The Ultimate Clown
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1105
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • It's the Water's fault!
  • Location: Meyerton
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #209 on: February 14, 2011, 10:42:12 AM »
We've been having the carp and the catfish
Squid Happens!

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #210 on: February 27, 2011, 04:18:39 PM »
Seeing that all of the usual miscreants had prior arrangements, Jan and I took a drive out to Erina today.

It would seem that the "new" owners of 2 years have basically given up. The gates were unmanned, as was the rest of the premises as far as we could see. :sadd

The flows were around 45 or so, however the water is still the same khaki colour as the above the barrage venues.

I managed 3 muddies in total. 2  in the muddie hole on my red bare hook special, and one below that in the faster water against the reeds, on a charteuse, flashback nymph.

I was rather surprised to see 4 other f/f ( also from the Vuildriehoek ) there, but alas could not see if any of them got anything.

Jan did ok on the bank with worms, claiming a carp, barbel, sm yellow, muddie and a very respectable moggel. :resp:

All in all another great morning on the Vaal. :clwn w;k

If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline G!enn

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 211
  • Cred: 29
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: N.I
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #211 on: February 27, 2011, 06:38:26 PM »
Great stuff, Herman .
'In The Eyes Of A Child You Will See..... The World As It Should Be.'

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #212 on: February 27, 2011, 06:40:52 PM »
Great to hear Herman  (clap)

Offline schloshd1

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 278
  • Cred: 31
  • Location: Kelvin, Jozi
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #213 on: February 27, 2011, 06:49:06 PM »
It's sad to hear that the place is becoming derelict, it really has a lot of potential to become something along the lines of Oord Nebo. I would guess that the islands are completely flattened after the floods. On a positive note, at least you got a few fish. What was the vis like?
I'm a weekend drinker, I start on Saturday and end on Friday - Bill Hicks

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #214 on: February 27, 2011, 07:31:44 PM »
Andrew, you are right ito the islands, Just bare rock at the moment,
The fish were in good nick, although my last muddie was very "light" in colour, almost a light grey  :cnfzd
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline schloshd1

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 278
  • Cred: 31
  • Location: Kelvin, Jozi
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #215 on: February 27, 2011, 07:38:53 PM »
Sounds like one the muddies from above the barrage. What was visibility like?
I'm a weekend drinker, I start on Saturday and end on Friday - Bill Hicks

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #216 on: February 28, 2011, 07:27:05 PM »
Sounds like one the muddies from above the barrage. What was visibility like?

Vizabiity probably around 10cm :shk :shk
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline Hooch

  • Banned
  • *
  • Posts: 330
  • Cred: 33
  • Gender: Male
  • Fear no Fish
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #217 on: February 28, 2011, 08:29:13 PM »
Gents, any one in the northen area wana take a half broken man to the vaal?
We need a big vehicle for this as I'm casted to my thight!

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #218 on: February 28, 2011, 09:23:50 PM »
Gents, any one in the northen area wana take a half broken man to the vaal?
We need a big vehicle for this as I'm casted to my thight!

Hooch, if I could I would. My van with back seats and front passenger down would let you sleep all the way. w;k

However, the question is : how the hell you gonna fish being in a cast up to the hip. :cnfzd :shk
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #219 on: February 28, 2011, 09:27:33 PM »
Now that I think about, I'm sure Adrian has access to a Hoochmobile.  :crzy

Don't know if he's joining us or not. :cnfzd

Maybe the wedding plans are still interfering with his fishing. :crzy
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal