Author Topic: Vaal River Update  (Read 566892 times)

0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #140 on: November 30, 2010, 10:11:45 AM »
......Or maybe it is because I am scared to cross the main island in case that moerse likkewaan attacks me:D.....

No jokes, he's still there!! We watched him swim across the big pool in front of the caravan park. Pasop! :shk

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #141 on: December 06, 2010, 08:58:24 AM »
Myself and Nico (monster) went back and fished Eastco yesterday. Again the fishing was pretty frustrating given the super conditions. I measured the water temp at 23 deg, vis was about 30 - 40cm, the flows were easy wading at 19 cubes. I managed to get 3 fish in the net, two yellows and a muddie and had about 5 come off the hook. I was mainly fishing a bastardised czech nymphing technique and a two fly, control and point rig. The fish weren't holding in any specific water, the bigger yellow was in about waist deep very fast water, the smaller yellow and the muddie were in about thigh deep water, holding just off the fast water seams. Flies that produced were the "Humpy's Favourite" on control, and a size 14 tan coloured hydropsyche caddis larva on the point.

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #142 on: December 07, 2010, 08:42:26 PM »
Nice report back Rory.  :tkx:

I have been getting constant report backs over the last 4 weeks of the fishing at the Italian's place, and all have been very good.

My contact however knows those waters like I know GVP,so it could be the result of "local knowledge".

I'm now torn between the 2 venues for this coming Sunday. Any preferences ????? :cnfzd  fshg w;k
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline schloshd1

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 278
  • Cred: 31
  • Location: Kelvin, Jozi
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #143 on: December 08, 2010, 06:12:11 AM »
Nice report back Rory.  :tkx:

I have been getting constant report backs over the last 4 weeks of the fishing at the Italian's place, and all have been very good.

My contact however knows those waters like I know GVP,so it could be the result of "local knowledge".

I'm now torn between the 2 venues for this coming Sunday. Any preferences ????? :cnfzd  fshg w;k

That's a place that I would really like to check out! However, I will be camping at Strydoms' with SWAMBO and a mate this weekend so fishing the Italians will have to wait. BTW Herman, you have PM on Flytalk, I have a cunning plan . . .  w;k
I'm a weekend drinker, I start on Saturday and end on Friday - Bill Hicks

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #144 on: December 08, 2010, 07:50:35 AM »
That's a place that I would really like to check out! However, I will be camping at Strydoms' with SWAMBO and a mate this weekend so fishing the Italians will have to wait. BTW Herman, you have PM on Flytalk, I have a cunning plan . . .  w;k

If you're camping this weekend, that means its going to rain for sure!! LOL! What happened to the Boskop trip?

Offline schloshd1

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 278
  • Cred: 31
  • Location: Kelvin, Jozi
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #145 on: December 08, 2010, 08:18:45 AM »
If you're camping this weekend, that means its going to rain for sure!! LOL! What happened to the Boskop trip?

Claudia's decided to join and she really likes it at Strydoms' for some reason . . .  Besides , Strydoms is a bit more sheltered from the inevitable rain . . .
I'm a weekend drinker, I start on Saturday and end on Friday - Bill Hicks

Offline Monster

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 270
  • Cred: 9
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Centurion
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #146 on: December 09, 2010, 09:41:20 AM »
Hi Rory, Thanks for Saturday. It was good. Atleast I know those flies will work. I want to try and hit the water on Sunday but will see what the week end holds.

Offline Homie

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #147 on: December 09, 2010, 09:43:56 AM »
Nico,
 :welc:


About bloody time !

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #148 on: December 09, 2010, 09:54:53 AM »
Hi Rory, Thanks for Saturday. It was good. Atleast I know those flies will work. I want to try and hit the water on Sunday but will see what the week end holds.

No problemo man. This weekend is out for me fishing wise, but I'm on leave from this weekend, we must make a plan!

Nico,
 :welc:


About bloody time !

Ja what took you so long?? w;k

Offline Monster

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 270
  • Cred: 9
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Centurion
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #149 on: December 09, 2010, 10:00:26 AM »
What can I say Gents, good things are scarce

Offline Monster

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 270
  • Cred: 9
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Centurion
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #150 on: December 09, 2010, 10:01:38 AM »
I see there is a social on Sat? Are you going?
Homie I still owe you some topshot from my overwind last time.

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #151 on: December 09, 2010, 10:07:10 AM »
I see there is a social on Sat? Are you going?
Homie I still owe you some topshot from my overwind last time.

Ja I'll be there, go check the link and put your name on the list!

Offline Monster

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 270
  • Cred: 9
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Centurion
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #152 on: December 09, 2010, 10:16:44 AM »
Done!

Offline Homie

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #153 on: December 09, 2010, 10:30:43 AM »

I see there is a social on Sat? Are you going?
Homie I still owe you some topshot from my overwind last time.


 :hyst: :hyst: :hyst:  Yup, I remember !


see you there !

Offline Monster

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 270
  • Cred: 9
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Centurion
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #154 on: December 09, 2010, 10:38:13 AM »
You should put in an order. Homie

Offline Homie

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #155 on: December 09, 2010, 10:46:23 AM »
Nah ! All good bru !

Offline Monster

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 270
  • Cred: 9
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Centurion
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #156 on: December 09, 2010, 10:54:12 AM »
Cool Homes, I owe you a beer!

Offline Homie

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #157 on: December 09, 2010, 11:14:53 AM »

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #158 on: December 09, 2010, 08:53:48 PM »
It will be the Italian's. Nico if you want to join ( as well as anyone else who's interested ) please feel free to come along. :sml:
If you need directions phone me. 078 801 0077. w;k
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #159 on: December 17, 2010, 09:32:54 AM »
Guys, if anbodys planning on fishing the Vaal below the Barrage, I'm afraid you might as well cancel. The flow rate is currently at 1200 cubes!!! Normally any flow over 40 to 50 is considered "tricky". So if you going down to the river please be really careful!

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal