Author Topic: Vaal River Update  (Read 566839 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline schloshd1

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 278
  • Cred: 31
  • Location: Kelvin, Jozi
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #120 on: November 16, 2010, 06:38:09 AM »


Nice one Herman. Did you try fish the top "Yellow Bend" section? Is it still fishable? And rapids above it?
I'm a weekend drinker, I start on Saturday and end on Friday - Bill Hicks

Offline Poenskop

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 455
  • Cred: 35
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Port Elizabeth
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #121 on: November 16, 2010, 08:23:24 AM »
Here is a photo of the fish of Sunday. It somehow looks alot smaller on the photo. :cnfzd

Offline BigG

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 476
  • Cred: 38
  • Gender: Male
  • I fish on weekends to feed the kids...
  • Location: Greenstonehill, Gauteng
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #122 on: November 16, 2010, 08:25:50 AM »
Nice fish there.... don't they always look smaller in the pictures?  :hehe:
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles

Offline shagnrelease

  • Banned
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #123 on: November 16, 2010, 08:37:08 AM »
nicely done mate!

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #124 on: November 16, 2010, 08:38:33 AM »
Nice one Louis!  :rck"

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #125 on: November 16, 2010, 08:49:11 AM »
Here is a photo of the fish of Sunday. It somehow looks alot smaller on the photo. :cnfzd


Very nice photo and fish.

Offline kp11

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 123
  • Cred: 5
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: germiston
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #126 on: November 16, 2010, 09:28:16 AM »
Use a wide angle lens and take the photo from closer makes the fish look huge  :hyst:

Offline Poenskop

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 455
  • Cred: 35
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Port Elizabeth
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #127 on: November 16, 2010, 10:16:59 AM »
Use a wide angle lens and take the photo from closer makes the fish look huge  :hyst:

Or I will have to diet a bit. Then my wide frame would not dwarf the fish. :hehe:

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #128 on: November 16, 2010, 07:36:58 PM »

Nice one Herman. Did you try fish the top "Yellow Bend" section? Is it still fishable? And rapids above it?

The 2 yellows came out of the "Yellow Bend" as well as the biggest muddie of the day, ( just shy on 4kg )
The whole area up there is still very fishable, the major changes after the floods have been to the banks, but there is a new sand bank here, and deep hole there, thatwere not there before. :sml:
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline schloshd1

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 278
  • Cred: 31
  • Location: Kelvin, Jozi
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #129 on: November 16, 2010, 08:01:48 PM »
The 2 yellows came out of the "Yellow Bend" as well as the biggest muddie of the day, ( just shy on 4kg )
The whole area up there is still very fishable, the major changes after the floods have been to the banks, but there is a new sand bank here, and deep hole there, thatwere not there before. :sml:

Cool. I may be taking my 14 year cousin for his first Vaal outing this Saturday and I want him to get into a few fish. I'm thinking either there, Strome or Erina. I'm leaning towards Erina at the moment.
I'm a weekend drinker, I start on Saturday and end on Friday - Bill Hicks

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #130 on: November 17, 2010, 08:48:15 PM »
Cool. I may be taking my 14 year cousin for his first Vaal outing this Saturday and I want him to get into a few fish. I'm thinking either there, Strome or Erina. I'm leaning towards Erina at the moment.

Andrew, no need for me to tell you that it's all flow dependent.
 Erina is ok up to 40, after that crossing the first channel get's tricky. Also it's getting far to busy, and not that much water.
GVP, up to 50 , and row up to YellowFish Bend. Fish just below the overhanging willow from early till 10:00. Then drift down to the Muddie hole. w;k
Strome ??, Ya easy wading and can be fished up to 80. People wise though ????

Good luck though, always nice to get youngsters involved. :resp: (clap)
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #131 on: November 28, 2010, 06:16:49 PM »
Myself, Herman and his boet Jan, and Julian fished at Eastco this morning. This is one of those classic stories where everything condition wise was perfect, except the fish weren't playing along.  :dunno: A perfect summers day, ideal flow rate, ideal vis, water temp was easily in the mid twenties but the fish just didn't come to the party. No doubt they were there, I must have had about 6 come off the hook, plus I was decently smoked by a bus of note, the fish snapped my 12lb leader after a straight upstream run of more than 20 metres - "thanks for coming!" If anyones keen, I'm going back next week to try settle the score!

Offline schloshd1

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 278
  • Cred: 31
  • Location: Kelvin, Jozi
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #132 on: November 28, 2010, 06:23:17 PM »
Myself, Herman and his boet Jan, and Julian fished at Eastco this morning. This is one of those classic stories where everything condition wise was perfect, except the fish wern't playing along.  :dunno: A perfect summers day, ideal flow rate, ideal vis, water temp was easily in the mid twenties but the fish just didn't come to the party. No doubt they were there, I must have had about 6 come off the hook, plus I was decently smoked by a bus of note, the fish snapped my 12lb leader after a straight upstream run of more than 20 metres - "thanks for coming!" If anyones keen, I'm going back next week to try settle the score!

Nice one Rory. Depending on how the new tat is healing I might join you guys next weekend
I'm a weekend drinker, I start on Saturday and end on Friday - Bill Hicks

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #133 on: November 28, 2010, 06:30:42 PM »
Nice one Rory. Depending on how the new tat is healing I might join you guys next weekend

Excellent, pull in man! I've got that Willemse/czech type/braided mono leader waxed now, really enjoying fishing with it.  :clwn

Offline schloshd1

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 278
  • Cred: 31
  • Location: Kelvin, Jozi
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #134 on: November 28, 2010, 06:41:26 PM »
Nice, it's a very effective setup once you get used to fishing it. Looks like you were fishing the zebra crossing.  Did you cross the islands and at all? There is plenty of very good water on the other side
I'm a weekend drinker, I start on Saturday and end on Friday - Bill Hicks

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #135 on: November 28, 2010, 06:47:37 PM »
Ja we only fished on the far side of the island in the main river, didn't even stop at the front section. As you say theres plenty water there!

Offline schloshd1

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 278
  • Cred: 31
  • Location: Kelvin, Jozi
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #136 on: November 28, 2010, 07:09:59 PM »
Nice, will hopefully see you guys on the water there next weekend, I'm assuming Sunday? According to PTA's most eligible fly tying bachelor there are some BIG SM and LM to be found in the deeper water there during the Winter 
I'm a weekend drinker, I start on Saturday and end on Friday - Bill Hicks

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #137 on: November 29, 2010, 08:36:45 PM »
As Rory said, it was a very weird fishing day in perfect conditions.

Jules hooked a bus, which just smoked him. 20m run straight upstream, through the strongest water ( flow) and wrapped him in the reeds.  :sadd It was awesome to watch though w;k

Rory's bus was a classic. Hooked, screeeeeeeeccccchhhhh, look again and it's faaaaar away. Straight upstream, winding it's way around a few rocks at the top just to add insult.

After having witnessed Jule's and Rory being smoked I didn't feel too bad about been smoked 3 times myself. duh

At least Rory got one in the net. :happ:
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline schloshd1

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 278
  • Cred: 31
  • Location: Kelvin, Jozi
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #138 on: November 29, 2010, 09:03:48 PM »
Ja, there are some big fish there. If I have my bearings correct from the pic of Rory, about 30-40m to his right and slightly upstream is where this pic was taken.
I'm a weekend drinker, I start on Saturday and end on Friday - Bill Hicks

Offline diamonddogs

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 40
  • Cred: 10
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #139 on: November 30, 2010, 08:06:29 AM »
Big big fish at Eastco. I found my own honey hole closer to the camping site. Or maybe it is because I am scared to cross the main island in case that moerse likkewaan attacks me:D

Check out the Eastco report on this link:

http://www.weizterfish.com/forum/blog.php?do=list&page=3


 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal