Author Topic: Vaal River Update  (Read 566876 times)

0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Lichia amia

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #1140 on: February 24, 2014, 09:52:49 AM »
Nice Yellow that Mr. Dog  :cgrts:

Offline Homie

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #1141 on: February 24, 2014, 11:06:37 AM »
Great fish and lovely pics as well !

Man i need to hit the vaal soon !

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #1142 on: February 24, 2014, 06:20:03 PM »
Nice fish Mario and great pic.
How was the Mountain View Lodge ito accommodation and prices ?
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #1143 on: February 24, 2014, 06:33:52 PM »
I fished Erina again yesterday morning. Got there early 05:45 and was on the water by 06:30.
The fishing was ok, I managed around 9 sm and 2 muddies but alas no Carp.
Most of the fish came out of the 2nd run, with the muddies in the 3rd run.
One of the yellows had a weird injury on it's back, possibly a wound from a barbell attack ? See pick below.

I was then joined by some fellow fly fishers, who did not do too badly at all, with the one landing a 5kg Carp, that ran him ragged, and then his fiancé got her 2nd yellow ever.

With the weather turning ominous I was out of there by 11:30.
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline E.T.

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 883
  • Cred: 87
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria, Gauteng
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #1144 on: February 25, 2014, 09:05:20 AM »
I was also out on the Vaal this weekend. First time in 3 years.
I wanted to test the Modified 13ft Tenkara. It worked, but it was a bit on the heavy side. I now want to build a lighter model. Now I did foul hook the two Yellows and I am not proud of that, but it gave me some satisfaction by landing them on 6lb Tippet.
Total length of line attached to the tip of rod/ Lillian was plus minus 18-19ft.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYIbnez2W8o&feature=youtu.be


Sorry for the poor quality, I am still figuring out the conversions to upload to Youtube.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 09:06:46 AM by E.T. »

Offline Homie

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #1145 on: February 25, 2014, 09:08:57 AM »
Lekker Koos !

Thats some great fish !!!!

Eastco ?

Offline E.T.

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 883
  • Cred: 87
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria, Gauteng
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #1146 on: February 25, 2014, 09:10:22 AM »
Lekker Koos !

Thats some great fish !!!!

Eastco ?


Nope, Bothaville area.

Offline diamonddogs

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 40
  • Cred: 10
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #1147 on: February 25, 2014, 10:11:44 AM »
Nice fish Mario and great pic.
How was the Mountain View Lodge ito accommodation and prices ?

Can you hear the banjo's playing.....
R450-00 a night self catering for 2 people. 2 Single beds in one room.
The place has access to fantastic water but as they do not allow day visitors I think very few people will fish here.
In my opinion, for what you get,  R450-00 a night is R300-00 too much.
The place is situated a stones throw below Smilin Thru.

All in all - fantastic water that I probably fished for the last time.

Offline icstuff

  • The Ultimate Clown
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1105
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • It's the Water's fault!
  • Location: Meyerton
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #1148 on: February 25, 2014, 12:59:28 PM »
Has anyone fished stonehenge in parys before? I am there on Friday
Squid Happens!

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #1149 on: February 25, 2014, 08:42:41 PM »
Nice fish Mario and great pic.
How was the Mountain View Lodge ito accommodation and prices ?

Can you hear the banjo's playing.....
R450-00 a night self catering for 2 people. 2 Single beds in one room.
The place has access to fantastic water but as they do not allow day visitors I think very few people will fish here.
In my opinion, for what you get,  R450-00 a night is R300-00 too much.
The place is situated a stones throw below Smilin Thru.

All in all - fantastic water that I probably fished for the last time.

Eeeiissshhh, that sounds like the accommodation is not worthy of taking your gillie with , let alone SWAMBO :shk.

Would the water be accessible from Smiling Thru via an Ark ? w;k
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #1150 on: February 25, 2014, 08:50:50 PM »
Has anyone fished stonehenge in parys before? I am there on Friday

Mr. ICStuff. You have stayed " ICOGNITO " for 3 weeks, not answering your phone, ignoring messages, and when finally in contact, you are too busy  :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

How on earth can a teacher be too busy  :dunno: :dunno:

Now you are visiting the river without a word . :unhap

Is this your way of "breaking up"  :cry: :cry:

 :hehe: :hehe: :crzy :crzy
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #1151 on: February 25, 2014, 08:54:58 PM »
I was also out on the Vaal this weekend. First time in 3 years.
I wanted to test the Modified 13ft Tenkara. It worked, but it was a bit on the heavy side. I now want to build a lighter model. Now I did foul hook the two Yellows and I am not proud of that, but it gave me some satisfaction by landing them on 6lb Tippet.
Total length of line attached to the tip of rod/ Lillian was plus minus 18-19ft.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYIbnez2W8o&feature=youtu.be


Sorry for the poor quality, I am still figuring out the conversions to upload to Youtube.

Great going Koos. :happ:

You must still show me how this whole Tenkara thing works on the river. :dunno: I'm curious. Make a date boet. :clwn
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline icstuff

  • The Ultimate Clown
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1105
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • It's the Water's fault!
  • Location: Meyerton
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #1152 on: February 25, 2014, 11:22:51 PM »
Has anyone fished stonehenge in parys before? I am there on Friday

Mr. ICStuff. You have stayed " ICOGNITO " for 3 weeks, not answering your phone, ignoring messages, and when finally in contact, you are too busy  :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

How on earth can a teacher be too busy  :dunno: :dunno:

Now you are visiting the river without a word . :unhap

Is this your way of "breaking up"  :cry: :cry:

 :hehe: :hehe: :crzy :crzy

Herman we can work this out with some counseling!
I have a function there on Friday and wanted to spend the rest of the day on the river.
Squid Happens!

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #1153 on: March 03, 2014, 08:29:40 PM »
Doc, ICStuff, Ettienne, Frederick, Dion and I fished Eendekuil on Sunday. I did not check the flows or water temp , but I guestimate the flows at around 50 and falling, guess at the temp around 23 deg. The water was very discoloured after the latest releases from the Vaal dam and Barrage, almost the same colour as below the dam wall.

Although the fishing was slow nobody blanked, I think everyone got at least 2 yellows, but all juveniles though. If I remember correctly Marthin got the biggest of around 1 - 1.6kg. Not a single muddie came out.

We met a newbie who was camping and joined us for the after fishing braai. I seriously hope he joins Ultimate. Seems like a good dude.
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline Dion Gates

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 15
  • Cred: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Gauteng Krugersdorp
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #1154 on: March 03, 2014, 10:44:42 PM »
Hi Herman


Looks like we doing Eendekuil again this weekend, ive got a score to settle with the beast that smoked me in the top section there, so i convinced my comapnions to rather hit Eendekuil than Nebo.


CLEVA w;k


Are you joining us???? :beer:
Fly fishing is not about life or death, it's more serious than that!

Offline icstuff

  • The Ultimate Clown
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1105
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • It's the Water's fault!
  • Location: Meyerton
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #1155 on: March 04, 2014, 05:46:51 PM »
Herman where is that pic of my "catch" hehe!

Was fun fishing with you guys again!
Squid Happens!

Offline doc

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 193
  • Cred: 82
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria, Gauteng
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #1156 on: March 05, 2014, 01:35:24 PM »
Just be careful guys see Barrage flow sitting at 180 and discharge from Vaal dam at 300

Offline Dion Gates

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 15
  • Cred: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Gauteng Krugersdorp
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #1157 on: March 05, 2014, 01:45:09 PM »
thanx Doc :udman:


Ja its pumping at the moment


Probably gonna give it a pass


Damn this rain is causing HAVOC!!!! :-(


What to do!!!
Fly fishing is not about life or death, it's more serious than that!

Offline Homie

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #1158 on: March 05, 2014, 01:59:40 PM »
Its gonna get heavier !!!
Harties has all gates open as well

Offline Lichia amia

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #1159 on: March 05, 2014, 02:16:33 PM »
Bugger , shyte ,!!!
 
I have booked a chalet at Eastco for the weekend !!!!
 
 
lots of  :beer: :yipee: :2m: :frid :geet  and no  :fshn:

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal