Author Topic: Vaal River Update  (Read 566945 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Lichia amia

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #1100 on: January 03, 2014, 01:39:09 PM »
Any reports for this year?

Flows are Woes Pietertjie . Heard of a Bloke that tried to Fish Aarendsnes on Sunday , they found him in Barkley west on Monday arvie .

Offline Homie

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #1101 on: January 03, 2014, 02:16:02 PM »
Any reports for this year?

Yup...

Lots and lots of water !!!
Have you seen the flows ????
 <:

Offline icstuff

  • The Ultimate Clown
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1105
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • It's the Water's fault!
  • Location: Meyerton
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #1102 on: January 03, 2014, 02:54:08 PM »
Yes I did - but did not know how yellow you chaps are!!!!!  :crzy
Squid Happens!

Offline Homie

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #1103 on: January 04, 2014, 07:57:18 PM »
Man I just wish these flows would ease up....

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #1104 on: January 05, 2014, 12:20:39 PM »
Man I just wish these flows would ease up....

Homes, at this rate maybe towards the end of the month, possibly 2 weeks earlier depending on rainfall in the Standerton / Ermelo area, and of course Southern Jo'burg.

I WILL be fishing next Sunday. Either venue I or venue V. Venue V's flows are down to around 4 tons now, if they drop to 2 then it's game on. :happ:

If not then it's venue I, up to 1000 tons it's safely fishable.  :crzy  :creep:
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline bassbug

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 401
  • Cred: 14
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: randburg gauteng
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #1105 on: January 06, 2014, 04:29:35 PM »
Man I just wish these flows would ease up....
hi homie
have you heard of vaal streams, just just below the vaal dam wall. the flow is generally much lower than below the barrage. at the moment they are 20 cubes compared to the 70 cubes below the barrage

Offline Homie

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #1106 on: January 10, 2014, 08:32:41 AM »
Hey BB,
Yup, been looking at that thanks !
Vaal dam is 99% full, so it may not last !!!

Anyone up for a session tomorrow morning ????

Offline doc

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 193
  • Cred: 82
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria, Gauteng
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #1107 on: January 10, 2014, 08:52:09 AM »
Im in Homes


Offline Homie

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #1108 on: January 10, 2014, 08:55:14 AM »
Im in Homes

Sweet,

Where ? Woelwaters ?

Offline doc

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 193
  • Cred: 82
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria, Gauteng
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #1109 on: January 10, 2014, 09:18:20 AM »
Is it not going to be to busy? Never been there before so game. Just do not want to wait my turn to make a cast.

Offline Homie

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #1110 on: January 10, 2014, 09:29:23 AM »
Is it not going to be to busy? Never been there before so game. Just do not want to wait my turn to make a cast.

Last time I was there on a Sat there were a total of 8 ppl on the water...

Dont think it will be too busy.... last weekend before most go back to work ?

Also open to suggestions ??????

Offline doc

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 193
  • Cred: 82
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria, Gauteng
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #1111 on: January 10, 2014, 09:32:33 AM »
Woelwaters sounds good

Offline Homie

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #1112 on: January 12, 2014, 05:36:02 PM »
Doc and I fished Woelwaters yesterday morning...
Flows were around 80.. lots of water and visibility around 2cm ! lol

We both had a few hookups, but landing them wasnt so easy ! Doc had one huge run, and that fish was stopping for no one !!!!
 Both doc and I managed to get 1 small yellow each to the net, and i had one jump and spit the hook right as i was reaching for the net... There were lots of small fish though !
We only saw one other yellow landed, and that was just as we were rigging up.

Docs fish on the way to Potch


Mine - I Finally broke in my new setup !



Doc on !



As we were getting off the water, we noticed that the level had risen substantially... as we got in at Woelwaters at the little steps and slipway, the water was waist deep... getting out at the same spot and it was now chest deep !

Thanks Doc for the ride and a lekker day and to Peter Gordon for the camera !

Offline Homie

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #1113 on: January 13, 2014, 03:07:01 PM »
Quick question....

What indicator do you prefer ????

I tried the yarn style one with the 2 o rings. Read somewhere that an indicator (like this yarn style) that makes your line at 90 degrees is better ????... but after a while, it just soaks up water and isnt that great !

Offline icstuff

  • The Ultimate Clown
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1105
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • It's the Water's fault!
  • Location: Meyerton
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #1114 on: January 13, 2014, 03:17:03 PM »
I use one of those rugby ball shaped ones. But at woelwaters I prefer fishing without an indicator
Squid Happens!

Offline Homie

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #1115 on: January 13, 2014, 03:20:09 PM »
Reasons Pieter ???
and why no indicator at WW ?

Offline Debbie

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 540
  • Cred: 55
  • Gender: Female
  • Location: Durban
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #1116 on: January 13, 2014, 03:41:00 PM »
Great report back and stunning photos  (clap) (clap)

Offline icstuff

  • The Ultimate Clown
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1105
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • It's the Water's fault!
  • Location: Meyerton
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #1117 on: January 13, 2014, 04:42:12 PM »
They float... but I am trying out uv resin as an indicator will report on the success.
For some reason the fish at ww takes the fly easier without the indicator I am not sure why.
I have fished the venue twice without indicator and found that I catch more yellows and more fish than with the indicator.
Squid Happens!

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #1118 on: January 13, 2014, 06:45:47 PM »
I fished Erina yesterday.
Flows were around 60, which made crossing the first channel fun, but doable.  :hnthnt:

Visibility was around 20mm  :shk, but I still managed 7 small juvenile yellows :-)

Actually quite happy that I did not hook into a beast as that would have taken me to Bloemhof .  :shk :shk w;k
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #1119 on: January 13, 2014, 08:12:35 PM »
I use one of those rugby ball shaped ones. But at woelwaters I prefer fishing without an indicator


I agree with Pieter, if I fish an indicator I use the rugby ball type. Main reason is those rugby ball types don't sink, they stay afloat even with bombs for control flies. Never had an issue with them.

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal