Author Topic: Vaal River Update  (Read 566842 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline UrbanFF

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 108
  • Cred: 6
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Weltevredenpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #680 on: September 01, 2012, 01:26:09 PM »
we were there last weekend and it was hard but fish are moving try te 1st run under Tim's lawn between the falls and the willow else get a boat and ift that big pool towards mount Zion and the Dolomite ridge We ill be there next sunday the 9th.


I have a new rig - Vision GT4 10' 6wt with the Koma+ reel and it is going to get christened on the 9th at Eendekuil am keen to hear how you go tomorrow.

Offline christosch

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 234
  • Cred: 44
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: vanderbijlpark gauteng
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #681 on: September 02, 2012, 07:20:12 PM »
So my fishing buddy bailed on me - think he had a big babbie after the WP game last night!!! I decided to go to Woelwaters as I've never been to Eendekuil and don't know the water there. Water was very cold (Leeukoud) and the grass white with frost. I tried the fly but only caught rocksnot!! Switched over to rapalas and deeper water, also nothing!!! There were a couple of conventional anglers and they got nothing as well. Can't believe it - my first blank session of the year!!!
 :blush:



Hope you have better luck next week urbanff

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #682 on: September 02, 2012, 07:29:19 PM »
Guess I need to start getting a kit together soon !

Gnomes your Trout set up if perfect for the Vaal , just nick the Mrs. broom stick for a wading stick  w;k

Yup, that's what I used the last time with Rory, Herman and Nico.

Need a vest, and more importantly, flies and wading boots.

Homes, I have a spare vest which you can have.  w;k
 
Only condition is that you join us in the next 2 weekends.  :hehe: :hehe:
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #683 on: September 02, 2012, 07:39:58 PM »
So my fishing buddy bailed on me - think he had a big babbie after the WP game last night!!! I decided to go to Woelwaters as I've never been to Eendekuil and don't know the water there. Water was very cold (Leeukoud) and the grass white with frost. I tried the fly but only caught rocksnot!! Switched over to rapalas and deeper water, also nothing!!! There were a couple of conventional anglers and they got nothing as well. Can't believe it - my first blank session of the year!!!
 :blush:
Christo, wrong venue for the time of the year.  w;k   There again if you don't "prospect" you will never find the "right" venue. :-)
 
Regarding it being the "First Blank of the Year " , have you been fishing the Vaal throughout winter without blanking. ??????  :corrct: :corrct:
 
If so, please PM me the venues.


Hope you have better luck next week urbanff
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline UrbanFF

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 108
  • Cred: 6
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Weltevredenpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #684 on: September 02, 2012, 11:35:44 PM »
So my fishing buddy bailed on me - think he had a big babbie after the WP game last night!!! I decided to go to Woelwaters as I've never been to Eendekuil and don't know the water there. Water was very cold (Leeukoud) and the grass white with frost. I tried the fly but only caught rocksnot!! Switched over to rapalas and deeper water, also nothing!!! There were a couple of conventional anglers and they got nothing as well. Can't believe it - my first blank session of the year!!!
 :blush:



Hope you have better luck next week urbanff
I'll do a report back, better yet you're welcome to join us as I do know the waters there quite well.

Offline christosch

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 234
  • Cred: 44
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: vanderbijlpark gauteng
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #685 on: September 03, 2012, 08:33:24 AM »
So my fishing buddy bailed on me - think he had a big babbie after the WP game last night!!! I decided to go to Woelwaters as I've never been to Eendekuil and don't know the water there. Water was very cold (Leeukoud) and the grass white with frost. I tried the fly but only caught rocksnot!! Switched over to rapalas and deeper water, also nothing!!! There were a couple of conventional anglers and they got nothing as well. Can't believe it - my first blank session of the year!!!
 :blush:
Christo, wrong venue for the time of the year.  w;k   There again if you don't "prospect" you will never find the "right" venue. :-)
 
Regarding it being the "First Blank of the Year " , have you been fishing the Vaal throughout winter without blanking. ??????  :corrct: :corrct:
 
If so, please PM me the venues.


Hope you have better luck next week urbanff

Offline christosch

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 234
  • Cred: 44
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: vanderbijlpark gauteng
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #686 on: September 03, 2012, 08:41:03 AM »
Sorry - my reply dissapeared and posted only my pics -
 
Herman,
Since the birth of my son in Feb I don't see the water as much as I'd like. I don't fly the vaal in winter. I rather do a couple of trips with family and friends to nice venues - We went to Engogo earlier and Sekoma 3 weeks ago.
 
One of the species i'd like to catch on fly is a nice LM - so I'll have to brave the cold next year.
 
I know it's very early in the season, but as the saying goes - the best bait is the one in the water.
 
Thanks everyone for the informative thread - amateurs like me really appreciate the knowledge you guys share.
 
The pics were taken at Sekoma - I'm busy writing a report so keep em peeled.
 
Thanks

Offline Homie

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #687 on: September 03, 2012, 08:47:30 AM »

Homes, I have a spare vest which you can have.  w;k
 
Only condition is that you join us in the next 2 weekends.  :hehe: :hehe:

Awesome !

 :tkx: Herman...

Only hassle is, Im out of town, so will only make it after the 29th !

Offline icstuff

  • The Ultimate Clown
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1105
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • It's the Water's fault!
  • Location: Meyerton
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #688 on: September 03, 2012, 08:57:37 AM »
It seems saturday's keg got to me when I said I am going to fish with you on sunday. I have to go to the inlaws on sunday :(
But I will still show my face for breakfast and then make a quick run home!
Squid Happens!

Offline Lichia amia

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #689 on: September 03, 2012, 10:12:42 AM »
It seems saturday's keg got to me when I said I am going to fish with you on sunday. I have to go to the inlaws on sunday :(
But I will still show my face for breakfast and then make a quick run home!

The  :wtr: :wtr: :wtr:  again ??? :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst:

Offline icstuff

  • The Ultimate Clown
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1105
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • It's the Water's fault!
  • Location: Meyerton
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #690 on: September 03, 2012, 10:15:15 AM »
Yes Craig it was the water and if joined us at the social you would have had some of it as well.

Squid Happens!

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #691 on: September 04, 2012, 08:37:33 PM »
It seems saturday's keg got to me when I said I am going to fish with you on sunday. I have to go to the inlaws on sunday :(
But I will still show my face for breakfast and then make a quick run home!

Breakfast at 06:00 at the gate. However knowing me I will be there at 05:45. w;k
 
For being a " Forgetfull Young Man " your strafdop is a "Toothbrush "  w;k  for everyone there between 06:00 and 07:00, PLUS one for you for every one who has had one. :hnthnt: :hnthnt:
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #692 on: September 07, 2012, 08:10:04 PM »
As expected, with the good rains of the last few days the Barrage is releasing 75 tons/second.
Goose Bay is reading close on 80. :happ: :happ:
 
Great news indeed as this flush "should" clear a lot of the rock snot that has been building as well as clear the detrimus lying on the bottom.
 
Forget fishing the Middle Vaal this weekend, fishing on dropping flows doesn't work, and the water will still be dirty. Rather tie flies. :crzy
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline UrbanFF

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 108
  • Cred: 6
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Weltevredenpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #693 on: September 07, 2012, 09:20:04 PM »
As expected, with the good rains of the last few days the Barrage is releasing 75 tons/second.
Goose Bay is reading close on 80. :happ: :happ:
 
Great news indeed as this flush "should" clear a lot of the rock snot that has been building as well as clear the detrimus lying on the bottom.
 
Forget fishing the Middle Vaal this weekend, fishing on dropping flows doesn't work, and the water will still be dirty. Rather tie flies. :crzy
fog it I am trying on Sunday 

Offline icstuff

  • The Ultimate Clown
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1105
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • It's the Water's fault!
  • Location: Meyerton
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #694 on: September 10, 2012, 01:33:57 PM »
Went out on Sunday morning to wet a line with Rory and Herman. I was only able to fish for about 1 hour as I overslept and had to leave early to go to the inlaws.

The water was cold and I blanked not sure about the others! Note I am standing on the side with Herman sitting on the other side with what could only be described as dutch courage  and the only clown in the water being Rory
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 01:36:00 PM by icstuff »
Squid Happens!

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #695 on: September 10, 2012, 08:12:03 PM »
Went out on Sunday morning to wet a line with Rory and Herman. I was only able to fish for about 1 hour as I overslept and had to leave early to go to the inlaws.

The water was cold and I blanked not sure about the others! Note I am standing on the side with Herman sitting on the other side with what could only be described as dutch courage  and the only clown in the water being Rory

 :dunno:  How do you think I got to the other side  duh  By wading across. And on the way I had a little "OOPS" which wet me up to my armpits, with a trickle in the waders :cnfzd
 
With the water temp at 10 - 12 deg, I was actually trying to thaw out when you took the pick.
 
Fishing wise Rory, got into a nice fish which ran him around a bit before shaking the hook. :-(
 
Pieter got a " Rock Fish " which fought back,  :shk :shk
 
And I got 2 " Line Fish " one was about 20 meters of braid,  and the other about 15 meters of around 30 lb nylon with an 04 offset hook on the end.  :shk
 
Never knew there were sharks in the Vaal.  :dunno: :dunno:
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline icstuff

  • The Ultimate Clown
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1105
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • It's the Water's fault!
  • Location: Meyerton
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #696 on: September 11, 2012, 08:15:29 AM »
Herman just kidding!  :crzy
Good to see that the fish are almost back in the rapids!
Where in the stream did Rory hook his fish and on what?
Squid Happens!

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #697 on: September 11, 2012, 12:35:09 PM »
Herman just kidding!  :crzy
Good to see that the fish are almost back in the rapids!
Where in the stream did Rory hook his fish and on what?

Nice mornings fishing, thanks chasps. Personally I don't think I've ever experienced the Vaal that cold, saying the water was freezing is an understatement! Pieter I got him right where I'm standing in your photo. I had a chartreuse and black "humpys favourite" on for the control fly, and a standard green rock worm type caddis jol fly on a revolving dropper. For a change, he took the Humpy's  w;k

Offline icstuff

  • The Ultimate Clown
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1105
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • It's the Water's fault!
  • Location: Meyerton
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #698 on: September 11, 2012, 12:44:58 PM »
Thanks Rory - I was fishing almost the same patterns as you - but that warm fuzzy mother in law feeling made get out of the water.
Squid Happens!

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #699 on: September 11, 2012, 12:52:47 PM »
I pulled a nice big branch out of the middle of that run, and did a little gogga inspection: the caddis were small, easily a size 18 hook, no bigger. Their abdomens were whitesh/grey in colour not green at all. I can remember a year or two back, further downstream, myself and Nico hammered the yellows on small grey caddis imitations just like these guys. The mayflies were big, about size 16 hooks, pitch black colour and long tails.

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal