ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website

FRESHWATER ANGLING => Fly fishing => Topic started by: E.T. on May 11, 2012, 01:59:48 PM

Title: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: E.T. on May 11, 2012, 01:59:48 PM
I would like to start a thread based on Fly Reels.
You can add your current reels on here, your next purchase, one of your collectibles and even that reel you are dreaming about owning one day.


I will start off with this one....


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/Waterworks-Lamson_Vanquish_Reel.jpg)


This is the Waterworks Lamson Velocity.....Would love to own this reel


I am trying to get my hands on one of these....


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/AriHart4Small.jpg)


This is the Ari Hart Astrid and yes it comes standard with a reel seat.
Waiting for a bargain as these retail anything between R4500-R7500.
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: Kumz on May 11, 2012, 02:01:58 PM
WTF ... Freaking wicked looking reels ... nice very nice ...
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: E.T. on May 11, 2012, 02:02:32 PM
This is an Ari Hart Mach 0


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/Rod%20Pics/mach0.jpg)


They retail anything from R3500.
It is rated for 1-3wt fishing.
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: E.T. on May 11, 2012, 02:08:08 PM
These are ATH Remco replicas I had made in Sweden....

(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/IMG_2239.jpg)

This is the Original ATH Remco...

(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/4484922522_628ef06fa0_bMedium.jpg)


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/4484271813_3a3d94bc7c_bMedium.jpg)


Now these were manufactured in the 90's and in second hand good condition you are looking at R4500-R7500 for the Remco.


 
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: E.T. on May 11, 2012, 02:19:00 PM
You can now get Waterworks Lamson Reels locally from the Agents.


I wanted a Purist ULA for a recent addition to my rods arsenal and they didn't have any stock and apparently this reel isn't doing that well over here, so they wanted to offer me this reel.....


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/Lamson_Litespeed_blowupSmall-1.jpg)


The Lamson Litespeed in a 3wt at about R1350 or something like that.


I decided to wait it out and as luck would have it, I now have what I wanted in the first place on it's way to me.....


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/LamsonPuristSmall-1.png)


The Lamson Purist ULA
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: E.T. on May 11, 2012, 02:21:52 PM
Guys I encourage you to post here.


Give a bit of info if you don't mind.
Things like retail price, line rating, etc.


Look forward to seeing some sweet reels w;k
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: Wynand13 on May 11, 2012, 02:33:02 PM
ATH Remco looks  :ayb I use Stealth and must say as a line storing device its doing good.....
But I like the
Sage 3800 Carbon Fiber Fly Reel its propably not the best but I was shown one recently and they just grabbed me..
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: rockspider on May 11, 2012, 02:37:06 PM
the Lamson reels look good and seem quite popular over here.

have you heard of Danielsson reels? I would like the original for my 7' 4wt 1oz ......
http://www.danielsson-flyreels.se/index.php?page=danielssons-original-teknisk-fakta&lang=en (http://www.danielsson-flyreels.se/index.php?page=danielssons-original-teknisk-fakta&lang=en)

Danielsson also make a range of bigger reels which seem reasonably popular.

I wish there was a shilton distributor over here, so i could feel the reels on some of my rods.

my reels are not quite so flash, have an old stealth click and pawl, shimano ultegras; orvis mach's for saltwater to replace my old BFR's and a shilton for the 12wt.

unfortunately they are all gathering dust, i use them far too little :(
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: tkei on May 11, 2012, 02:44:13 PM
Et, got the earlier model Lamson velocity 3.5. lovely reel, but also dont use it enough. was a present from my dear wife. I felt too bad to return it to Sportfish in london, as it coast about 180 pounds at the time and for 300 quid i could have got an abel and the cash wasnt the issue, it was the fac tthat they looked so different that she would notice.
they would both still be collecting dust in my cuboard, havnt used them in years.
some lovely reels there. will take pic over weekend.
 
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: Searaider on May 11, 2012, 05:08:45 PM
Very nice :corrct:
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: REEFMAN on May 11, 2012, 05:52:09 PM
K.... this may be a pleb question of note... so apologies in advance from a dedicated R/S angler.
Can someone explain to me why these reels are so expensive? I mean, what technology have they got to justify their cost?
They cost the same as some of the top of the range R/S reels, but at least those have some components, as in gears, bearings, drag systems, braking systems etc etc. What does a fly reel have that justifies the ridiculous price?
Or am I missing something here? Enlighten me please!
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: Half-Pint on May 12, 2012, 12:37:59 PM
:hehe: Reefz I was wondering the same thing! Is there actually a R4000 difference between these and the lower end reels? Or is it largely paying for the name? Nothing wrong with that since we all do that at some stage!
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: Capt. Hook on May 12, 2012, 01:02:43 PM
Eish, you got my juices flowing there.... I am sure you not allowed to post porn on this forum. :cnfzd
 
I happened to come across a Penn International 6wt Fly Reel at a bargain once with a tackle shop that closed and I bought it just for the sake of owning one.
 
I also have a Redington Reel, along with 2 Redington Nano Rods which I love.
 
The tackle is just so stunning. Eish...............
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: Herman Jooste on May 13, 2012, 07:33:43 PM
K.... this may be a pleb question of note... so apologies in advance from a dedicated R/S angler.
Can someone explain to me why these reels are so expensive? I mean, what technology have they got to justify their cost?
They cost the same as some of the top of the range R/S reels, but at least those have some components, as in gears, bearings, drag systems, braking systems etc etc. What does a fly reel have that justifies the ridiculous price?
Or am I missing something here? Enlighten me please!

There is absolutely NO JUSTIFICATION for the rediculous prices asked for f/f reels and rods. :unhap :unhap
 
It seems to me that over the years f/f has been percieved as a rich man's sport and the prices have been adjusted accordingly, which is just so WRONG. :unhap
 
I have a Shimano Ultegra fly reel, which cost me R 700,  5 years ago. I have 2 smallish Shimano spinning reels, which combined cost less than the flyreel. :dunno: :nuts:
 
 
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: Capt. Hook on May 13, 2012, 11:09:39 PM
 :ldrag:
K.... this may be a pleb question of note... so apologies in advance from a dedicated R/S angler.
Can someone explain to me why these reels are so expensive? I mean, what technology have they got to justify their cost?
They cost the same as some of the top of the range R/S reels, but at least those have some components, as in gears, bearings, drag systems, braking systems etc etc. What does a fly reel have that justifies the ridiculous price?
Or am I missing something here? Enlighten me please!

There is absolutely NO JUSTIFICATION for the rediculous prices asked for f/f reels and rods. :unhap :unhap
 
It seems to me that over the years f/f has been percieved as a rich man's sport and the prices have been adjusted accordingly, which is just so WRONG. :unhap
 
I have a Shimano Ultegra fly reel, which cost me R 700,  5 years ago. I have 2 smallish Shimano spinning reels, which combined cost less than the flyreel. :dunno: :nuts:

Just a few things to ponder Herman.
1. The top range fly reels are low production items so manufacturing costs are high
2. The top range fly reels are machined from 1 solid piece of bar aircraft grade aluminium
3. All the top range fly reels are machined components
 
These reels need to be made like that because they can handle pressure that your R700 reel will never handle, and it may not mean anything when hunting trout or yellows, but when hitting the salt it makes a world of difference as most the cheaper production reels simply cannot handle big fish and they will break up.
Look at what happened to the 12wt Explorer reel when we got the saily on fly, the thing fell apart under the pressure and we had to try keepit together to land the fish, that was the end of that reel and imo it was a waste of money and a better quality reel even though more than double the price would have been money well spent, especially if you consider that a fish of a lifetime could have been lost.
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: tkei on May 14, 2012, 08:59:41 AM
Reefs,
i agree, but also consider they are being put on rods that cost the GDP of a small african country. The rods are works of art that have unbelievable technology in them. Pick up a 0 or 1 weight top end rod. they are like pieces of thatch that can cast unbelievably well etc. They are however not for everyone (for practicala nd cost reasons). Putting a r200 reel to store line on these will work, but i dont see you R&S guys putting a penn 500 on the top end assasin/ purglass rods. They will work (sort of) but rather not.
 
The drags on the top reels are incredible as well. Remember guys are pulling sails and blue marlin etc on max 20lb leader. Any snatching (which inferior tacle does in any facet of angling) is a sure break off. The tibor, abel, ross reels and some of the other custom reels have drags that are smoother than babies bums.
 
I dont have the previous mentioned brands as i dont fish for the big bills on fly (yet) but asd soon as I do, i wioll be in the market.
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: E.T. on May 14, 2012, 09:07:42 AM
The main reason why we are over paying is our "strong" Rand.
Would we complain paying $650 for a reel if the R1=$1 or even when R1=E1/BP1?
Nope we would not even feel it.


There are other factors too that determine price and it's the same with cars.
Why do Ferrari charge so much for a Ferrari? The answer is simple really, they are market leaders, only Ferrari can build a Ferrari and based on that, they can ask whatever they want.


I don't want to go into too much detail, as I am busy with an article on reels. What I can say is that this article will answer a few questions in terms of cost, different types of fly reels, different designs, different materials used, etc, etc.


Have a look at this
http://www.hardyfishing.com/en-gb/about-us/hardy---a-short-history.php (http://www.hardyfishing.com/en-gb/about-us/hardy---a-short-history.php)


Now when you look at the Perfect Jubilee where only 250 was Made in England,


http://fly.hardyfishing.com/en-gb/products/reels/hardy-bros-reels/hardy-bros-perfect-diamond-jubilee-reel/ (http://fly.hardyfishing.com/en-gb/products/reels/hardy-bros-reels/hardy-bros-perfect-diamond-jubilee-reel/)


Then 1500 Brittish Pounds seems nothing for this reel? Why? Because this reel will be just as good in a 100 years from now and that's the difference. Hardy's made before WW1 & WW2 are very sought after and they are just as good now as when they were made back then. Expect to pay anything from 5000-10 000 Pounds for a reel like that. So what will the Jubilee be worth in years to come? I would say 5-10 Times the initial price!!!


Now you can't compare a high end product to something that there is 6 0000 7896145 567890 different variants of out there in the world. The reason why ATH reels are so sought after is the fact that it is tremendously well made, limited edition of each model and these reels are now worth more than what they were bought for. If you held one of these, fished one.....you know that you have something that will last a lifetime.


Another example, I recently acquired a High End rod and took it for an outing this weekend. So how was it?


The only way to describe it is to play opposite Jennifer Aniston in a movie and have the steamiest love scene ever captured on film. And to have Brad Pitt and every male, gays included wish it was them or hoping that they too can have a chance with Jennifer, while they are hating you, but envying you at the same time!!!


Is casting this crisp, precision masterpiece really this good? No, its better!!!!
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: E.T. on May 14, 2012, 09:22:35 AM
Some Monday Morning Nostalgia....


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/MegofftitaniumSmall.jpg)


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/TItaniumMegoff2Small.jpg)


This is the Megoff Titanium Hubless Reel


Next is the Tight Lines Fly Reel....


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/TightLinefyreel1Small.jpg)


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/Tightlineflyreel2Small.jpg)
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: E.T. on May 14, 2012, 09:30:39 AM
Here are a few snaps of a 1924 Hardy St. George


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/hardy334stgeorge2.jpg)


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/hardy334stgeorge1.jpg)



Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: E.T. on May 14, 2012, 09:41:30 AM
Here are a few Abel Reels


Abel TR Series
(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/troutseries.jpg)


Abel Super Series


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/r-s12w-800.jpg)


Abel Creek Series


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/reel-creek-bksd800.jpg)


Now these are all brilliant reels, you can even choose your own design on the reel.


Check out.....


http://www.abelreels.com/finishes.html (http://www.abelreels.com/finishes.html)

Are these reels cheap? Nope, but they are sure worth the money and these too will last you a lifetime.
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: icstuff on May 14, 2012, 10:07:27 AM
Eish, you got my juices flowing there.... I am sure you not allowed to post porn on this forum. :cnfzd


X2

On the R-$ price comparison - I like to do the bread comparison.
Loaf of white bread in USA = $1.5 RSA = R8.50

Abel Creek Fly Fishing Reel, Large Arbor, Creek #2 = $310 in USA and RSA 2500
and in breads USA 206.6 and RSA 294.1

In South Africa things just costs more and if there are people willing to pay that price the price will not come down.
If I am selleing pens for R50 that cost me R1 and people are buying them why would I lower my price?
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: E.T. on May 14, 2012, 10:18:07 AM
What we all forget is the fact that when you bring something in you need to pay shipping, import tax, etc.


Local agents bring in reels and tackle and they pay the shipping and duties.
And yes they get the reels cheaper cause they are the agents and they buy in bulk.
Now what we don't get is that these reels are still being shipped and there is still import duties. So is it fair to then say that local dealers are ripping us off?


Here is a classic example. The Scott F2 Fibretouch, I brought in through the local agents cheaper than what i would have brought it in myself. Did I save? I saved a hell of a lot of money. Why? I did not pay the retail price, neither did I pay shipping or import duties. Yes it was still a lot of money for it. But I paid it with a smile seeing that I save about R2000.

Long Story Short.....Compare Apples with Apples.
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: E.T. on May 14, 2012, 10:29:47 AM
I would like to rephrase.....


Can a local dealer rip you off? Yes!!! By selling you a reel that was made in the East and which has 5698765 899907 6554321 different variations over the world. So how does he rip you off?


There is a label on the side of the box that says Premium Fly Fishing Tackle!!!!
This is the biggest load of crap!!!! There was a local dealer that came into the market selling cheap fly tackle to the industry. R300 odd rand for a rod and this delaer now went from El-Cheapo to premium in a few years. I am not convinced.


Don't believe me??? Then why are there so many second hand tackle from this manufacturer/importer for sale on Gumtree and Junkmail than any other brand? Why are people selling it if it's Premium?


Always thought that Hardy, Scott, Orvis, G.Loomis, Sage was premium???
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: Wynand13 on May 14, 2012, 10:56:19 AM

In South Africa things just costs more and if there are people willing to pay that price the price will not come down.
If I am selleing pens for R50 that cost me R1 and people are buying them why would I lower my price?


    Let me explain  a bit on import duties as we recently renewed company uniforms and I got the  shock of my live, now this money is basically TAX by the way. For every R100 of  product you bring in you pay R100 import duties, then you pay tax on R200 so you  buy something for R100 and pay R128 to get it cleared, now this cost goes to  the end user most of the time, and after markup and so on you pay tax on the  item again. I know this figures change from product to product and some  importers have agreements, but this is what I paid a few months ago and were  told that this is standard there are some High taxed items seen us luxury goods  and I assume fly gear falls in this bracket so sometimes the shop is not  ripping you off. . But as mentioned above with regards to premium brands,  normally those promoting that they are a premium brand are not…
 
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: E.T. on May 14, 2012, 12:04:25 PM
I would like to treat you to some exquisite workmanship from Sweden.
These people are genetically mutated or engineered, cause they are fantastic in everything they do.


This is a few Skeleton Reels....


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/Skeletons1.jpg)


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/Skeletons2.jpg)


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/Skeletons3.jpg)


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/Skeletons4.jpg)


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/Skeletons5.jpg)


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/Skeletons6.jpg)
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: Wynand13 on May 14, 2012, 12:07:26 PM
 :clfoto: These are great looking assume they might be out of our price range...  :shre: I want some!!
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: E.T. on May 14, 2012, 12:11:47 PM
A few more snaps of Swedish Ingenuity.....


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/PEIC58Classic1.jpg)


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/PEIC58Classic2.jpg)


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/PEIC58Classic3.jpg)


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/PEIC58Classic4.jpg)


This is a Classic PEI58 and these type of reels are very sought after in Europe and  even in the States. People fork out big bucks for these kind of reels.


Expect to pay anything between R3000 - R10 000 for a reel of this quality.
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: E.T. on May 14, 2012, 12:17:18 PM
:clfoto: These are great looking assume they might be out of our price range...  :shre: I want some!!


These went for $600 a piece. You can get these cheaper elsewhere, but beware of cheap imitations. I have an early 1900's Skeleton that is being pimped up a bit in Sweden.


Here is some before pics.....


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/DSCF0288MediumSmall.jpg)


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/DSCF0292MediumSmall.jpg)


I will post some after pics once I receive it back from Sweden.
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: Wynand13 on May 14, 2012, 12:18:09 PM
 :nuts: so I have to sell my fishing gear to afford a reel..  :dunno:

They are great I am sure, one day...
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: Wynand13 on May 14, 2012, 12:19:48 PM
I really want one of the classic ones for my bamboo rod, just for show and maybe when the fishing is exceptional I might use it, but they are really works of art.
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: E.T. on May 14, 2012, 12:25:24 PM
I really want one of the classic ones for my bamboo rod, just for show and maybe when the fishing is exceptional I might use it, but they are really works of art.


You can get some of these reels fairly cheap on E-Bay. The only thing is that you never know if the thing is 100% working order. My Skeleton I got as a gift. The frame is perfect, the clicker is a waste as is the spindle. The reel was a bit worn out as was the handle.


So yes, there is a bit of work that is going into it currently and yes it is going to cost a bit of money, but when that reel is done, my grandson, would be able to fish it in 70-80 years from now and it will still be as good as new.
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: icstuff on May 14, 2012, 12:44:05 PM
I really want one of the classic ones for my bamboo rod, just for show and maybe when the fishing is exceptional I might use it, but they are really works of art.


You can get some of these reels fairly cheap on E-Bay. The only thing is that you never know if the thing is 100% working order. My Skeleton I got as a gift. The frame is perfect, the clicker is a waste as is the spindle. The reel was a bit worn out as was the handle.


So yes, there is a bit of work that is going into it currently and yes it is going to cost a bit of money, but when that reel is done, my grandson, would be able to fish it in 70-80 years from now and it will still be as good as new.

If there are fish left in our rivers and dams
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: E.T. on May 14, 2012, 12:51:35 PM
If there are fish left in our rivers and dams


They say that some people are so negative, that not even HIV can get them positive :rain:
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: icstuff on May 14, 2012, 12:53:12 PM
If there are fish left in our rivers and dams


They say that some people are so negative, that not even HIV can get them positive :rain:

 :rotfl

The glass is not half empty - the container was just designed to hold double the amount of fluid
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: E.T. on May 14, 2012, 01:05:29 PM
If there are fish left in our rivers and dams


They say that some people are so negative, that not even HIV can get them positive :rain:

 :rotfl

The glass is not half empty - the container was just designed to hold double the amount of fluid


I wouldn't drink 10ml of water from the tap where you are staying. Maybe it's the water that got to you...... duh
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: icstuff on May 14, 2012, 01:13:55 PM
I can send you some if you want as rand water only sends up to JHB.

On another subject - I know that a good reel will cost more but is there a difference between a R3000 reel and a R6000 reel?
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: E.T. on May 14, 2012, 01:15:15 PM
I can send you some if you want as rand water only sends up to JHB.

On another subject - I know that a good reel will cost more but is there a difference between a R3000 reel and a R6000 reel?


Yes R3000
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: icstuff on May 14, 2012, 01:17:25 PM
Ok I am sticking to tap water...

Besides the price - Do you get smoother drag, ect if you pay more, or do you pay for name and import duties?
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: Wynand13 on May 14, 2012, 01:49:23 PM
Will look there thanks. Hope that our waters still have life in them in 70 years time..

I would also like to know the difference  between these high end reels? I must say that reading the CFF 5WT shootout article earlier this week and after UrbanFF told me yesterday to read same kind of article on int magazines I am confused.. I get it that some gear are better than others, but doing the same tests should yield similar results, who should we believe? I do realize that the same is true for reels as many users as many people who love certain brands.
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: E.T. on May 14, 2012, 01:54:44 PM
Ok I am sticking to tap water...

Besides the price - Do you get smoother drag, ect if you pay more, or do you pay for name and import duties?


Go back to my first post this morning.......


It should contain this......


I don't want to go into too much detail, as I am busy with an article on reels. What I can say is that this article will answer a few questions in terms of cost, different types of fly reels, different designs, different materials used, etc, etc.

So give me time to finish my article and you will have all the answers soon.
This thread is not about why is this reel more expensive than this one, it's a celebration of reels....Cheap, Old, Junk, Collectible, Expensive, Wanna-Have, Must-Have, etc.


The Article should be done by the end of the month and it will be in a complete new thread. Something like how do I choose the correct fly reel or something like that.
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: Wynand13 on May 14, 2012, 01:59:11 PM
Thanks E.T

Looking forward to it.
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: E.T. on May 14, 2012, 03:26:18 PM
A few more reels from Ari T Hart....


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/IMG_1939LargeSmall.jpg)


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/IMG_1940LargeSmall.jpg)


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/IMG_1937LargeSmall.jpg)


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/IMG_1904LargeSmall.jpg)


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/IMG_1901LargeSmall.jpg)


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/IMG_1899LargeSmall.jpg)
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: E.T. on May 14, 2012, 03:27:39 PM
Couple more....


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/IMG_1897LargeSmall.jpg)


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/ATHTraunF1wSilklineSmall.jpg)


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/AriHartArasSmall.jpg)


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/5115712334_6afd19f0df_bSmall.jpg)


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/6936335192_dd50c167c8_bSmall.jpg)
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: E.T. on May 14, 2012, 03:30:22 PM
Check out this guy's ATH Collection....


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/IMG_1223Small.jpg)


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/IMG_1222Small.jpg)

In Rands this collection is probably in excess of R100 000
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: Capt. Hook on May 14, 2012, 06:46:28 PM
Hey E.T, you really getting me excited with all those nice reels.
 
Look forward to your article, should be a good read.
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: E.T. on May 16, 2012, 11:31:44 AM
Spey Rod fitted with a hubless reel called the Backwinder...


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/P4190155Small.jpg)



Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: E.T. on May 16, 2012, 11:47:38 AM
This is Ari Hart's latest offering.
A collectors dream, the ATH Trilogy
1 reel with 3 spools. 1 x 3/4wt, 1x5/6wt, 1x7/8wt Spool beautifully presented in a Mahogany case. All for a mere $2000USD.


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/trilogyv2lrgSmall.jpg)


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/Trilogy_5Small.jpg)


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/Trilogy_6Small.jpg)


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/Trilogy_8Small.jpg)


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/trilogy_main1Small.jpg)


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/trilogy_main2Small.jpg)


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/hardcase_open_2Small.jpg)
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: Zetti on May 16, 2012, 11:50:37 AM
I know zero about fly fishing and even less about the pricing of fly fishing equipment. I hear what the guys are saying about paying big $$$ for something that cannot be justified, but hells bells, one can see if a product is quality or not, and some of these pictures make me want to buy one and frame it.

Pictures can be deceiving but from where i am sitting i can see that lots of craftsmanship and effort went into making some of these reels.
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: E.T. on May 16, 2012, 12:12:56 PM
Two more pics of the Trilogy....
(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/d6a26ae2d979e12216626a2515ca28fe5cdbfd53pjpgSmall.jpg)


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/4Small.jpg)

If I am not mistaken, there is a fly shop in Jhb that has a box set for sale, only difference is that it's not for $2000USD, its more.



Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: icstuff on May 16, 2012, 12:33:35 PM
Dear Santa I have been a good boy this year...

Koos I have to clean drool from the keyboard and my wife suspects that I am watching porn!
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: E.T. on May 16, 2012, 12:52:03 PM
The F Series Reel Set inspired by the Orginal F Triangle Series by Ari....


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/fseries_collectionv2lrg-1.jpg)


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/fseries_trio.jpg)


This set includes the three reels in the following weights
3/4wt
5/6wt
7/8wt


All for $1700USD

Lovely collectors piece this.

Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: Wynand13 on May 16, 2012, 01:17:14 PM
This is motivation to work harder....
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: E.T. on May 16, 2012, 01:28:27 PM
  A Classic Anti Reverse Billy Pate Reel


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/pateARbonefish.jpg)


These are available in 3 sizes namely Salmon,
(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/RLS-TIB-BILL-SAL-RIGH-GO00.jpg)




Bonefish
(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/RLS-TIB-BILL-BON-LEFT-GO00.jpg)


and Tarpon
(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/RLS-TIB-BILL-TAR-RIGH-GO00.jpg)


and they range from $500-$565USD.


And while you are at it, you can even have your own custom engraving done on it....


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/pateengrav.jpg)
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: Wynand13 on May 16, 2012, 03:23:00 PM
Anyone ever heard about Banax reels? I know they are not upmarket at all, but never heard about them and can get one with spare spool want to use for a 4 WT rod?
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: Capt. Hook on May 16, 2012, 07:37:09 PM
Make him stop, make him go away...... :hehe:
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: E.T. on May 17, 2012, 09:30:20 AM
Something special from Sweden.
A Kabuto 7' 3wt with a NOS Vintage Winston Seat in Red, matched with a Dutch Mach 0 in Red.....


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/Dutch1Small.jpg)


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/dutch2Small.jpg)


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/ducth3Small.jpg)





Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: E.T. on May 17, 2012, 09:45:02 AM
Something from yesteryear.....


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/1930Uniqua35-8-inchSmall.jpg)


A 1930's 3 5/8 inch Uniqua
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: E.T. on May 17, 2012, 09:56:30 AM
21" Brown male taken on a Handmade Splitcane and Pflueger Progress 80 Yards


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/PfluegerProgress80YardSmall.jpg)
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: E.T. on May 17, 2012, 03:16:40 PM
CTS 0wt with Cortland CRI 2001 from the Catskill Series of reels....
(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/CTS0wtwithCortlandCRI2001CatskillSeries1Small.jpg)


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/CTS0wtwithCortlandCRI2001CatskillSeries2Small.jpg)
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: E.T. on May 17, 2012, 03:55:09 PM
Based on World Records, Abel sits at the top with 56 Records
(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/prosek_headerSmall.jpg)


And Tibor closely follows with 50 Records


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/1840749486_730203a977Small.jpg)

Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: E.T. on May 18, 2012, 09:42:55 AM
Cortland Retro on Scott F2


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/CortlandRetroOnScottF2Small.jpg)


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/CortlandRetroOnScottF22Small.jpg)
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: E.T. on May 18, 2012, 09:44:32 AM
Something you don't see everyday, A Classic RR2


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/RR2Classic1Small.jpg)


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/RR22Small.jpg)
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: E.T. on May 18, 2012, 10:20:59 AM
The best R200 you could ever spend.....


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/lochmorrr100Small.jpg)

The Daiwa Lochmor 100A, I know the pic says 200A.....You get the idea.


These are rated as 4/5wt reels, but they are so light that you can fish them on anything from a 1wt to a 5wt. Would not be my preferred reel of choice when fishing the Vaal, but for Smallstreams and Trout Lakes they are perfect. It's a classic Spring-And-Pawl reel and there isn't much that can go wrong with this reel.
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: Rory on May 18, 2012, 10:24:51 AM
The best R200 you could ever spend.....


I own 4 of them..... :clwn
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: Rory on May 18, 2012, 10:27:54 AM
Lochmor S 100's that is  :corrct:
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: E.T. on May 18, 2012, 10:32:00 AM
Another good investment that falls in the same class is the Sensation Viking 4/5wt at about R175, looks exactly like this Martin....


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/MB56_large.jpg)


I own one of the Sensation reels and I fish it regularly on a 3wt setup. It is stupendously light.

Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: E.T. on May 18, 2012, 10:35:50 AM
Lochmor S 100's that is  :corrct:


Like these???


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/lochmor_freshSmall.jpg)

The A model with the ported back is their latest offering. Daryl human fished one up on the Bushmans in March. I am impressed by that reel, honestly.
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: E.T. on May 18, 2012, 10:39:20 AM
Both the Sensation and Daiwa is die cast jobbies and honestly these reels are right up there with the more expensive Orvis with the same design.

Not sure????

(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/cfo11Small.jpg)

Well this is the Orvis CFO's innards, not that much different to the Daiwa is it? Except for the price that is.
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: Rory on May 18, 2012, 10:57:42 AM


Like these???


Thats them, fantastic value for money, mine must be more than 10 years old now. Landed my PB yellow at Ben Johs with this reel, it can be "palmed" with one finger!
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: Ziggy on May 18, 2012, 10:59:41 AM
After viewing all those expensive bling reels, and salivating more than a dog looking at a bone, I wished I was a rich man (or a genie would appear and grant me a few wishes).


But then, the last few posts on good inexpensive reels makes me feel that I will just continue with:
So - I have now sucked in the saliva dribbling down my chin and resigned myself to staying with what i have - and feeling fortunate

Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: E.T. on May 18, 2012, 11:09:40 AM
Ziggy nothing wrong with what you got :fshn:
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: E.T. on May 18, 2012, 11:23:05 AM
I too own 3 or maybe 4 reels, some cheap, some junk and some fantastic.


I always wanted one of these.....


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/abuSmall.jpg)


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/AbuDelta2Small.jpg)


It's a Abu Garcia Delta 3 Fly Reel. Well I did get one. Bought it from someone down in the Cape and when it arrived I noticed that it is in very good condition, except for the drag gear thats missing on the inside. No problem, I hopped onto the net and searched high and low for that part.


Long story, short....It's now a glorified paper weight. They aren't worth that much as you can get one in working condition for about R300. Am I in the mood to replace this one? Nope, there is better things to do with R300.
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: E.T. on May 18, 2012, 11:33:43 AM
If you are in need of a 5/6wt reel and you stumble over one of these......


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/227Small.jpg)


And you don't want to buy it, you call me cause I will buy it on the spot.
This reel has one of the smoothest drags I have ever seen on a reel. This reel won't let you down when hooking into a beast.

I rate this reel as one of the best reels out there. I would use the Ultegra 78 for LM Yellows, Big Barbel and Tigers without thinking twice.
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: Hooch on May 18, 2012, 02:14:50 PM
If you are in need of a 5/6wt reel and you stumble over one of these......


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/227Small.jpg)


And you don't want to buy it, you call me cause I will buy it on the spot.
This reel has one of the smoothest drags I have ever seen on a reel. This reel won't let you down when hooking into a beast.

I rate this reel as one of the best reels out there. I would use the Ultegra 78 for LM Yellows, Big Barbel and Tigers without thinking twice.
I have the 7/8 one. Some big mermaids were caught with it in the past. :bow:
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: rockspider on May 18, 2012, 02:20:40 PM
the ultegra's are great reels, i thoroughly enjoy mine. I managed to find some new ones over here, with spools for my 5 wt :)
good value for money imho 
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: Herman Jooste on May 18, 2012, 02:39:27 PM
If you are in need of a 5/6wt reel and you stumble over one of these......


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/227Small.jpg)


And you don't want to buy it, you call me cause I will buy it on the spot.
This reel has one of the smoothest drags I have ever seen on a reel. This reel won't let you down when hooking into a beast.

I rate this reel as one of the best reels out there. I would use the Ultegra 78 for LM Yellows, Big Barbel and Tigers without thinking twice.

So true Koos. I've had my 56  for 6 years now, and with the Scott SAS 5# have landed my PB barbel, LM yellow, and nearly my PB SM yellow.
 
That reel has been abused on the Vaal no end and the drag is as silky smooth as ever. You can adjust it click by click whilst fighting a big fish. :-) :-)
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: fish4fun on May 19, 2012, 06:39:04 PM
Pure flyfishing porn.....more please!
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: E.T. on May 21, 2012, 09:14:54 AM
Today I have something completely different for you
(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/thinkfish004Small.jpg)


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/thinkfish006Small.jpg)


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/P41300087Small.jpg)


Now the Thinkfish Bold is a Semi Automatic fly reel, but this reel is an improvement of older Semi Automatic reels. Why? Well on older reels you had to preset the drag, but on the Thinkfish Bold you can set the drag as with any other fly reel.


Why a Semi Automatic Reel? Well you have control at your finger tips. By simply pulling the handle, the reel retrieves line automatically, so you are in contact with the fish the whole time.


These reels are rated 5-7wt and they will set you back about R3000


In Europe these kind of reels are very popular, even the Norwegian Flyfishing Team uses them to fish.
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: E.T. on May 21, 2012, 10:27:46 AM
If you like fishing a classic reel on your Fibreglass, Graphite or Splitcane, then this is a great find....


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/BlackbearSpitfireNo1Small.jpg)


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/BlackbearSpitfireNo12Small.jpg)


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/BlackbearSpitfireNo13Small.jpg)


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/BlackbearSpitfireNo14Small.jpg)


This is the Fish On Black Bear No.1 In Spitfire finish at a ridiculous price of $110


http://www.blackbearflyfishing.com/servlet/the-57/Fishon-Black-Bear-Spit/Detail (http://www.blackbearflyfishing.com/servlet/the-57/Fishon-Black-Bear-Spit/Detail)



Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: E.T. on May 21, 2012, 10:31:54 AM
Also look at Fishon Kodiak Red Agate No3 Classic Fly Reel


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/a20791512f9bebcc84ee1a_lSmall.jpg)


http://www.blackbearflyfishing.com/servlet/the-26/Fishon-Kodiak-No3-Classic/Detail (http://www.blackbearflyfishing.com/servlet/the-26/Fishon-Kodiak-No3-Classic/Detail)


You can either go for a reel with a vented spool or a solid spool @ $275USD
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: E.T. on May 21, 2012, 03:41:01 PM
History of Orvis Fly Reels.....


http://therustyspinner.blogspot.com/p/history-of-orvis-cfo_03.html (http://therustyspinner.blogspot.com/p/history-of-orvis-cfo_03.html)
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: E.T. on May 21, 2012, 04:15:45 PM
A Hubless Reel called the Dormisch Absi


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/dormisch_absi1Small.jpg)


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/da3Small.jpg)


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/DA21Small.jpg)


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/dormisc3Small.jpg)


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/dormisc4Small.jpg)


Dormisch-Absi R2 Fly Reel Technical Information

Line weights:4/5/6
 Reel weight:3.88oz./110g
 Drag:Click & pawl style
 Material:Hard anodized, CNC-machined, aerospace grade aluminum alloys
 6061T6 and 7075T6
 *can be switched from left, to right hand operation
 Price: $365 US
 Extra Spool: $175 US


These reels were made in Patagonia, not sure if they are still going as their website is off and finding a store that does sell them is like finding a chicken with teeth.
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: Wynand13 on May 22, 2012, 08:36:37 AM
Dormisch Absi - Really nice, would love to have one of those
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: E.T. on May 22, 2012, 08:55:51 AM
Dormisch Absi - Really nice, would love to have one of those


Then you should enjoy reading this.....


http://hipwader.com/2006/dormisch-absi-r2-fly-reel-review (http://hipwader.com/2006/dormisch-absi-r2-fly-reel-review)
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: Wynand13 on May 22, 2012, 09:00:00 AM
 :shre: they look great, see that the http://www.dormisch-absi.com.ar/ (http://www.dormisch-absi.com.ar/) site is down, will research them a bit.
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: Wynand13 on May 22, 2012, 09:08:35 AM
Have a look at this site, site a bit outdated, but some great reels here...

http://flyreelmania.free.fr/ (http://flyreelmania.free.fr/)
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: E.T. on May 22, 2012, 09:09:41 AM
:shre: they look great, see that the http://www.dormisch-absi.com.ar/ (http://www.dormisch-absi.com.ar/) site is down, will research them a bit.


I am not sure whether or not these are still being manufactured :-(
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: E.T. on May 22, 2012, 09:52:35 AM
A New Fly Reel Manufacturer on the Block


“Drop the origin”, new 2012 fly reel, by Marco Feliciani, Massimo Greppi & Massimo Conti,
manufacturing by G3 Officina Meccanica di Precisione, Milano, Italy


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/670_0_2241752_52996Small.jpg)


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/670_0_2241751_52996Small.jpg)


I don't know why, but there is just something extra special about a Red and Silver Reel :hnthnt:

(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/670_0_2228910_52996Small.jpg)


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/670_0_2228909_52996Small.jpg)


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/670_0_2228908_52996Small.jpg)


It's not that difficult to see who their inspiration came from.


There isn't a lot of info out there but I would guess that these reel probably fall in the same class as the ATH Remco 4-7wt.


If your Italian is up to scratch visit....


www.droptheoriginreel.com (http://www.droptheoriginreel.com)
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: E.T. on May 22, 2012, 10:35:17 AM
Not really a fly reel, nor am I a fan of Okuma, but the design of this reel sure deserves a mention.....


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/OkumaRAW-II_1002Small.jpg)


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/BackSmall.jpg)


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/FrontSmall.jpg)






The New Okuma Raw-II 1002 Centerpin Reel features  precision tolerances in quality T6  aluminum alloy. For prolonged  longevity to its unique looks, this reel has Okuma's CRC   corrosion  resistant coating process which  will perform and look   good for many  years of fishing. The Raw-II 1002 Float Reel spins smooth with extreme  low torque to handle the the lightest flows with two premium German made  stainless steel ball bearing, fitted on a machined  stainless steel  spindle for strength and durability. The   Raw-II 1002 Center Pin Float  Reel is a fully ported design for lightness, while still retaining  strength with a  type-II durable anodized spool and   frame in two-tone  Gunmetal/Orange color. The Raw still retains the classic 4.5" spool  diameter and original hi-tech look.

Features:

• 6061-T6 proprietary aluminum alloy frame & spool
 • Durable Type II - two tone anodized frame and spool
 • CRC - Corrosion resistant coating process
 • Machine cut stainless steel spool shaft
 • 1 pcs Machine Rigid Frame construction 
 • On/off click ratchet for added spool tension
 • Ported spool with exposed rim for easy spool control
 • 2 premium stainless steel ball bearings
 • Includes Okuma's protective neoprene reel case for transport
 • One year Okuma  warranty   
 • Line capacity: 275yds#8 Mono + 50yds#20 backing
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: dizzy on May 24, 2012, 11:27:06 AM
Those Diawa Lochmors are really great value for money. Love them, even if they make my Sage look silly  :blush:
In my view, this is the best reel on the market today:
(http://www.galvanflyreels.com/images/stories/torquelargearbor_mainprod.jpg)
Even if its expensive - this is my next reel!
I dont own any expensive reels yet, only have some Kilwels, a Diawa, Sensation, Sage 1600, and some other no name brands.
Never needed a better quality reel, but I plan on catching a few of these  :gt: and some of these :dor: and these :grk: . Hopefully some of these  :yft: and these :sailf: , so I gues I'll really need the Galvan.
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: E.T. on May 24, 2012, 11:55:12 AM
Let's do a quick 12wt shoot out here......


The Galvan Torque T-12 @ $500 and an Extra Spool @ $228
http://www.galvanflyreels.com/index.php/reels/Torque-Large-Arbor-Series/ (http://www.galvanflyreels.com/index.php/reels/Torque-Large-Arbor-Series/)


Abel Super Series 12W @ $880 and Extra Spool @ $320
http://www.abelreels.com/super-series.html (http://www.abelreels.com/super-series.html)


Tibor Gulfstream @ $840 and Extra Spool @ $415
http://www.tiborreel.com/qc_sizes.html (http://www.tiborreel.com/qc_sizes.html)


Shilton SL7 @ R4000 and Extra Spool @ R1830
http://www.shiltonreels.com/slseries_specs.htm (http://www.shiltonreels.com/slseries_specs.htm)


Nauitilus NV 11/12 G-9 @ $770 and Extra Spool @ $315
http://www.nautilusreels.com/reels/nv (http://www.nautilusreels.com/reels/nv)


So here is the facts.....Tough choices indeed.
I am feeling a bit homesick so I would have to go with the Shilton, if not then it's between Abel and Tibor.....Finish and Klaar w;k

Why? Well no other reel has accounted for more world records than Abel, with Tibor in at a close 2nd. Yes they are expensive, but they will do the job perfectly without failing and that's the difference.

Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: Wynand13 on May 24, 2012, 02:27:38 PM
HI E.T

Would you mind sharing your 4WT ideal reels with us, as that is for targeting small fish I would still like a good one..
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: Herman Jooste on May 24, 2012, 08:23:52 PM
HI E.T

Would you mind sharing your 4WT ideal reels with us, as that is for targeting small fish I would still like a good one..

I may be confused here.  :dunno:
 
You are targetting small fish on a 4#. The reel then becomes a line holder because you will in all likelyhood fight the fish out of the hand, and very rarely off the reel. 
 
Why the need for a "larney reel"  :cnfzd
 
 
 
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: Wynand13 on May 25, 2012, 07:45:00 AM
HI Herman

I agree that it is a line holder, but having R600`s worth of line on a R50 reel does not feel right....

Why drive an expensive car when a cheap one can get you from point A - B...

Just asking the question as I have an Okuma that actually did not make it when I accidentally hooked a bigger fish than anticipated that ran most of my backing of..  Would like to know what is on the market out there as we are on the topic of fly reels...     
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: dizzy on May 25, 2012, 08:05:54 AM
This Sage is a highly underated reel.
(http://www.sageflyfish.com/images/magictoolbox_cache/dd6b6cfc02e1715d9cb0915c3f4a72c2/4662/selector72x72/0455a3a0891d7672fa6b00acdf643a9c.jpg)
  http://www.edge-1.com/Edge/Main.asp?D=%7B9D4ABB8D%2DFE72%2D4102%2D9C7F%2D719132C8A311%7D&PageType=Product&SKU=SAGE1650&CategoryID=744 (http://www.edge-1.com/Edge/Main.asp?D=%7B9D4ABB8D%2DFE72%2D4102%2D9C7F%2D719132C8A311%7D&PageType=Product&SKU=SAGE1650&CategoryID=744)

If thats not in your budget then the good old Kilwel Genisis is as good. Only down side is its quite heavy.
(http://www.kilwell.co.nz/Images/GENLA56_zoom.jpg)
http://www.kilwell.co.nz/freshwater_reels/kilwell_branded.html#gen (http://www.kilwell.co.nz/freshwater_reels/kilwell_branded.html#gen)
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: E.T. on June 06, 2012, 03:50:41 PM
Wynand
 4wt not sure about that, as it's so close to a 5wt that you might as well skip the 4wt and go for a 5wt.


If it's a 3wt you are after for panfishing then these would get my vote


The Sensation Viking as discussed earlier in this thread (Dirt Cheap)
Daiwa Lochmor 100A - (Dirt Cheap)
The Hardy Featherweight - If a noisy reel is not your liking then this will annoy you.
The Waterworks Lamson Litespeed - (Best Value for money, super light and a pleasure to fish with @ R1350 or something like that)
The Waterworks Lamson Purist ULA (Tad more than the Litespeed)
The Older Explorer Eclipse (R800-R1500 Depending where you look)
Orvis CFO
Ross Flyrise @ $115
Ross Evolution LT @ $320
The New TFO BVK 0wt reel looks the business at about $130
Abel TR Series @ $250
Abel Creek @ $260
Shilton CL1 @ R2335
Shilton CR3 @ R2500 - This reel you can fish from a 3wt to a 6wt easily. Large arbor 97mm


So this is what I would look at. My choice????
The WL Litespeed. Why???
Cause it can do this......


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/DSCF1220Small.jpg)
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: Wynand13 on June 06, 2012, 03:59:08 PM
 :tkx: For the reply, and I will be looking into this, got the 4WT for a great deal and have 6 WT gear as well so thought it might be a good WT to ad to the arsenal. Will be doing some homework on these, thanks again.
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: dizzy on June 06, 2012, 04:05:53 PM
I wouldn't touch those Explorer Eclipse reels - old or new version, they're just plain rubbish.
The center screw holding the spool on the reel used to come loose on the old one and simply get lost.
The guys used to glue the screws on.
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: E.T. on June 06, 2012, 04:15:40 PM
I wouldn't touch those Explorer Eclipse reels - old or new version, they're just plain rubbish.
The center screw holding the spool on the reel used to come loose on the old one and simply get lost.
The guys used to glue the screws on.


You are right, I forgot about that. I was thinking about the overall look of the thing.
Wasn't there a Stealth reel that had that same sort of look to it?
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: E.T. on June 06, 2012, 04:17:30 PM
:tkx: For the reply, and I will be looking into this, got the 4WT for a great deal and have 6 WT gear as well so thought it might be a good WT to ad to the arsenal. Will be doing some homework on these, thanks again.


That reel in the picture with the LS Yellow....Is actually fished on a Sage 4wt.
Ask Andrew Schlosser what he thinks of this reel, it's his after all. w;k
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: E.T. on June 06, 2012, 04:21:41 PM
Dizz, this is what I thought of instead of the Eclipse.......


http://www.stealth.co.za/stealth-reels/sla/ (http://www.stealth.co.za/stealth-reels/sla/)


My bad sorry.
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: dizzy on June 06, 2012, 04:27:36 PM
Ja, many manufacturers ripped off that design. I think it was originally a Vision reel, then Explorer and Stealth copied it.
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: E.T. on June 06, 2012, 04:33:22 PM
Ja, many manufacturers ripped off that design. I think it was originally a Vision reel, then Explorer and Stealth copied it.


Don't you mean the same factory 25 000km further east from Boksburg supplied all 3 of the above mentioned distributors??? :hyst: :hyst: :hyst:
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: dizzy on June 06, 2012, 04:39:02 PM
Ja something like that ..... :crzy
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: E.T. on June 06, 2012, 04:49:55 PM
Another brand that is overlooked is Redington.


I believe these reels are good value for money


Have a look at the Drift
http://www.redington.com/reels/drift (http://www.redington.com/reels/drift)
Beautiful in the Silver and a bargain at $100


Then this is also an option, The Rise
http://www.redington.com/reels/rise (http://www.redington.com/reels/rise)
I had one in my hands two weekends ago, and this Burnt Orange colour is sweet.
This reel is great value for money at $150.


Keep a close eye on Red Truck Flyfishing from time to time as they have great deals now and then.....


www.redtruckflyfishing.com (http://www.redtruckflyfishing.com)



Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: Herman Jooste on June 06, 2012, 08:18:22 PM
I popped in to GANI's in Witbank today.
 
They have the Shimano Biocraft 5/6 Large Arbour for  R 899. I'm sure you could get him down to to R 800 if you are prepared to haggle a bit. :hehe:
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: E.T. on June 07, 2012, 09:03:18 AM
I popped in to GANI's in Witbank today.
 
They have the Shimano Biocraft 5/6 Large Arbour for  R 899. I'm sure you could get him down to to R 800 if you are prepared to haggle a bit. :hehe:


Uncle Harry the Biocraft really don't appeal to me. I honestly believe there is no comparison between the Ultegra and the Biocraft. The Ultegra I would buy any day.

Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: Herman Jooste on June 07, 2012, 07:25:28 PM
Koos, I rummaged around upstairs for nearly an hour, hoping to find an Ultegra. All I found was a spare spool fot a 7/8  :unhap
 
Now here is the question.
 
Who has a Shimano Ultegra 5/6 or 7/8 that is just gathering dust ?
 
I will take it off you for a good price.
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: Hooch on June 07, 2012, 08:36:31 PM
Hermann, ek het b 7/8 shimmy met n spaar spoel. Nou wat is hy werd? Koos en Rory het hom al gesien?
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: E.T. on June 08, 2012, 08:59:37 AM
Uncle Harry these are all for you


It's the Redington Rise....
(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/rs4rainydaySmall.jpg)


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/rs4mossySmall.jpg)


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/rsrreeltableSmall.jpg)


Different colour options....


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/redington_reel_rise_lg1Small.jpg)


And then some close-ups of the 9/10.....
(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/1000x500px-LL-7762b239_IMG_1054Small.jpg)


And the innards....
(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/1000x500px-LL-a89c9131_IMG_1056Small.jpg)


This reel sure gets my vote for value for money in the $150 price range.

Found a local distributor.....

http://www.upstreamflyfishing.co.za/products/reels.php#redington (http://www.upstreamflyfishing.co.za/products/reels.php#redington)
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: E.T. on June 08, 2012, 09:19:02 AM
Something completely different......


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/P10202611Small.jpg)


Leicht Reels


But it's the Leicht Alaska that has that X-Factor to it.....
(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/Alaska_03Small.jpg)


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/Alaska_01Small.jpg)
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: Herman Jooste on June 08, 2012, 04:57:51 PM
Hermann, ek het b 7/8 shimmy met n spaar spoel. Nou wat is hy werd? Koos en Rory het hom al gesien?

Hooch, if it's in good nick and an Ultegra, I will take it off you for 1K. Interested?
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: Herman Jooste on June 08, 2012, 04:59:53 PM
Uncle Harry these are all for you


It's the Redington Rise....
(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/rs4rainydaySmall.jpg)


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/rs4mossySmall.jpg)


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/rsrreeltableSmall.jpg)


Different colour options....


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/redington_reel_rise_lg1Small.jpg)


And then some close-ups of the 9/10.....
(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/1000x500px-LL-7762b239_IMG_1054Small.jpg)


And the innards....
(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/1000x500px-LL-a89c9131_IMG_1056Small.jpg)


This reel sure gets my vote for value for money in the $150 price range.

Found a local distributor.....

http://www.upstreamflyfishing.co.za/products/reels.php#redington (http://www.upstreamflyfishing.co.za/products/reels.php#redington)

Koos , please SMS me their prices.  w;k
 
 
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: schloshd1 on June 09, 2012, 08:02:00 AM
Herman, what weight reel are you looking for? I may have something for you.
Alternately you could look at the Elbe "saltwater" reel that Ganis sell for around R500. I doubt you will find a better reel at that price, if you want to see reviews and specs of it then google Pflueger Trion. It is the same reel, just branded Elbe, and around half the price.

Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: schloshd1 on June 09, 2012, 08:22:48 AM



So this is what I would look at. My choice????
The WL Litespeed. Why???
Cause it can do this......


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/DSCF1220Small.jpg)

Just for you Koos, a few more pics of the Litespeed  w;k

A wild Lesotho rainbow and few smallies caught on dries.
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: baber101 on June 09, 2012, 02:08:45 PM
There is a lot of good reels on the market today, you must decide what you can afford for the fish you want to catch, yes, I agree they are pricey for what you get. I use a Ross & Ross reel on a 9# Thomas & Thomas rod for the all my fishing. I have a number of other outfits but if I want to enjoy my fishing I take out this rig. I have been using this set for 10 years now and they are still perfect.
I went up to some islands next to Kenia a few years ago and we tested our rigs before we left: we tied the line to the back of a 4 wheel drive, grabbed hold of the rod and the vehicle took of as fast as possible. Quite a few reels broke into pieces. But when we hooked into the sailfish with the reels that passed the test we were glad we tested them before we started fishing.
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: E.T. on June 11, 2012, 09:04:04 AM
Andrew I was at that Yellow Spot 3 weekends ago. We caught absolutely buggerall.
I waited for the wind to settle and the fish to start rising and not even that resulted in fish. I even put the fly on top of a fish only to see him take something next to my fly. I honestly must say that this place is not my most favorite of places to fish seeing that I have had very little success here.


Fantastic shots of the reel and fish w;k
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: Ziggy on June 11, 2012, 09:57:53 AM
You guys have destroyed my computer - my salivation over those beautiful reels has been so bad, its flooded my keyboard!


Last night I got a call from my buddy who will give me a voyager flight to Ireland to fish with him on the Suir river for 4 days at the end of August  - but the scheduled time is right in the last days of an assignment in Sudan and a a few days before a week of fishing at Castleburn!


I think that I will just have to "fall ill" in the last days of the Sudan assignment!


....and if I get to Ireland - I think I am going to spend some money and buy a new rod and reel!
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: E.T. on June 11, 2012, 10:01:14 AM
Ziggy


My article on reels should surface later this week. Perhaps it should be of some use to you when purchasing your next fly reel. :hnthnt:
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: Ziggy on June 11, 2012, 10:05:30 AM
Ziggy


My article on reels should surface later this week. Perhaps it should be of some use to you when purchasing your next fly reel. :hnthnt:


My keyboard is now drowning with saliva waiting for that article!!!!!
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: schloshd1 on June 11, 2012, 10:16:23 AM
Andrew I was at that Yellow Spot 3 weekends ago. We caught absolutely buggerall.
I waited for the wind to settle and the fish to start rising and not even that resulted in fish. I even put the fly on top of a fish only to see him take something next to my fly. I honestly must say that this place is not my most favorite of places to fish seeing that I have had very little success here.


Fantastic shots of the reel and fish w;k

The fishing is very tough there now, usual winter story. I have stopped targeting the smallmouth there now and am just fishing for largies.
What fly did the fish refuse? Were you fishing to fish feeding in the scum line or were you fishing a hatch?
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: E.T. on June 11, 2012, 10:25:55 AM
Andrew I was at that Yellow Spot 3 weekends ago. We caught absolutely buggerall.
I waited for the wind to settle and the fish to start rising and not even that resulted in fish. I even put the fly on top of a fish only to see him take something next to my fly. I honestly must say that this place is not my most favorite of places to fish seeing that I have had very little success here.


Fantastic shots of the reel and fish w;k

The fishing is very tough there now, usual winter story. I have stopped targeting the smallmouth there now and am just fishing for largies.
What fly did the fish refuse? Were you fishing to fish feeding in the scum line or were you fishing a hatch?


I tried the scumline at first and later fished the hatch. They were very picky!!!
 Look, that place is even a challenge in summer.
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: Hooch on June 11, 2012, 01:13:41 PM
Hermann, ek het b 7/8 shimmy met n spaar spoel. Nou wat is hy werd? Koos en Rory het hom al gesien?

Hooch, if it's in good nick and an Ultegra, I will take it off you for 1K. Interested?
Nope
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: Herman Jooste on June 11, 2012, 07:53:07 PM
Hermann, ek het b 7/8 shimmy met n spaar spoel. Nou wat is hy werd? Koos en Rory het hom al gesien?

Hooch, if it's in good nick and an Ultegra, I will take it off you for 1K. Interested?
Nope

OK. At least I tried :blush:
 
There again if I had a spare Ultegra 5/6 I wouldn't let it go for anything. w;k :hehe:
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: E.T. on June 27, 2012, 04:43:52 PM
Uncle Harry


Look at the G.Loomis Adventure Trout Fly Reel
http://www.vintagefishingtackle.co.uk/prestigeflyreels.htm (http://www.vintagefishingtackle.co.uk/prestigeflyreels.htm)
This one is 110 British Pounds and includes shipping.


Give this oke a ring cause this is a bargain if it's still available....
http://www.junkmail.co.za/v-pretoria-sports-angling--QZQYCatQX0197QYRgnQX0002QYAdQXF10882QYEdQX201139 (http://www.junkmail.co.za/v-pretoria-sports-angling--QZQYCatQX0197QYRgnQX0002QYAdQXF10882QYEdQX201139)


Here you go.....Brand new.....


http://www.iflyshop.com/browseproducts/G.Loomis-Adventure-Fly-Reel-2.html (http://www.iflyshop.com/browseproducts/G.Loomis-Adventure-Fly-Reel-2.html)


and


http://www.edgeangling.com/G-Loomis-Venture-7-Fly-Reel.html (http://www.edgeangling.com/G-Loomis-Venture-7-Fly-Reel.html)


I also suggest you get hold of Rapala VMC as they bring in Shimano as well as G. Loomis. You might be in for some luck.
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: E.T. on June 28, 2012, 10:37:34 AM
I would like to treat you today with a few classic Ross Reels....


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/IMG_9660Small.jpg)




(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/IMG_9659Small.jpg)


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/IMG_9654Small.jpg)


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/IMG_9640Small.jpg)


These belong to Christian Hörgen
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: Al on June 29, 2012, 02:06:41 PM
Wow- this thread has turned out some amazing reels I have never seen before.
I'll skip the "collectors" stuff which I would love to have and get to what I'm using. I have been fly fishing for almost 50 years and have found reels are a lot like women. Weight - light is better than heavy. Looks - pretty is better than ugly. So light and pretty will cost you more than fat and ugly. But I actually look for functionality and value for money. I fish 2wt, 3wt, 4wt, 5wt, 6wt, 9wt, and 12wt.. In the lighter weights I tend to spend more on rods than fancy reels. I think the added price is worth the better rod technology and unlike other fishing - the reel doesn't  help you to cast further.
2-3wt is really made for small streams and small fish so in many cases these reels are often lightweight with a poor drag system. I saw a new imported Hardy large arbor this week with no drag! But today, we strive to catch bigger fish on lighter tackle so I look for a reasonable drag system in a lightweight reel. For my 9wt and 12wt for saltwater I want strength, reliability, and a really good drag system.
I have had many reels over the years but here is what I prefer now:
2-6wt reels. I use the newer Xplorer range Guide II and Eclipse series. They are not "cheap" but are really good value and the local service is excellent. If you are lucky enough to have an 8lb rainbow ripping line off a 3wt, a smooth drag is critical and these reels will do the job.
9-12wt. Here the quality of the reel is the most important factor to me. Flyfishing now includes "big game" saltwater species which can test you and your tackle to the limit and technology has really changed to increase the odds of success for the angler. One must also consider the cost of getting to these exotic destinations so quality tackle is a small part of the total cost. I started 30 years ago with a System2 and have has various reels since. I now use only Shilton - made locally and cheaper than many of the well known imported reels but, to me, as good as - or better than - any others I have seen or tried. I have a SL6 for my 9wt and am getting an SL7 for my 12wt for that sailfish which is still on my "bucket list".
So guys, nothing as fancy as the photos I've seen here - and believe me I would love to have some of those reels - just to fondle and admire but - like beautiful women - it's hard to justify the cost!.
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: E.T. on July 03, 2012, 11:46:01 AM
Something interesting is the fact that these Ari Hart Reels are on permanent exhibition in the Museum of Modern Art in New York......


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/AriHart3Small.jpg)


Not too bad I would say and yes they are Gold Plated, something like 24 Carat if I am not mistaken.
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: dizzy on July 11, 2012, 01:41:40 PM
Anyone heard of the Diawa Lochmor SLA - http://www.fishingmegastore.com/daiwa-lochmor-sla-reel~12257.html (http://www.fishingmegastore.com/daiwa-lochmor-sla-reel~12257.html)
(http://www.fishingmegastore.com/images/daiwa/lochmor-sla.jpg)
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: Lichia amia on July 11, 2012, 01:46:14 PM
Anyone heard of the Diawa Lochmor SLA - http://www.fishingmegastore.com/daiwa-lochmor-sla-reel~12257.html (http://www.fishingmegastore.com/daiwa-lochmor-sla-reel~12257.html)
(http://www.fishingmegastore.com/images/daiwa/lochmor-sla.jpg)

Wolf whistle ……. Nice looking reel
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: E.T. on July 11, 2012, 04:25:10 PM
Anyone heard of the Diawa Lochmor SLA - http://www.fishingmegastore.com/daiwa-lochmor-sla-reel~12257.html (http://www.fishingmegastore.com/daiwa-lochmor-sla-reel~12257.html)
(http://www.fishingmegastore.com/images/daiwa/lochmor-sla.jpg)


Haven't had one in my hands yet, but I saw a review on them the other day.
UK Flyfishermen aren't complaining about them, so that should say something and if it's anything close to reliable as the Die Cast Lochmor, then I can't fault it, honestly.
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: MahiMahi on July 16, 2012, 03:47:13 PM
I would like to treat you to some exquisite workmanship from Sweden.
These people are genetically mutated or engineered, cause they are fantastic in everything they do.


Hi ET

Could'nt agree with you more!! I studied in Sweden and was gobsmacked by the uber stylish designs, quality and thinking which goes into the stuff they produce.  On the reels, man, you killing me here! :hehe: For posting such beauty, have some  :+ cred:

I think flyfishing is the next frontier for me :rck"
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: E.T. on July 16, 2012, 03:55:43 PM
I would like to treat you to some exquisite workmanship from Sweden.
These people are genetically mutated or engineered, cause they are fantastic in everything they do.


Hi ET

Could'nt agree with you more!! I studied in Sweden and was gobsmacked by the uber stylish designs, quality and thinking which goes into the stuff they produce.  On the reels, man, you killing me here! :hehe: For posting such beauty, have some  :+ cred:

I think flyfishing is the next frontier for me :rck"


Thanx Boet, I have 2 friends in Sweden. The one builds reels and the other builds rods and everything they produce is just amazing. On the Engineering side, I have yet to see something made elsewhere that can match the Swedes.


They are fantastic craftsmen, they are loyal, trustworthy and I have had stuff made over there and then i am instructed to only pay for it once I have received it and if I am satisfied with what I have been sent. Who does that these days????

The East will make you stuff, but you must pay first and if it's wrong, "Solly to heal, maybe you can make mistake when you odar."
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: MahiMahi on July 16, 2012, 04:20:32 PM
I would like to treat you to some exquisite workmanship from Sweden.
These people are genetically mutated or engineered, cause they are fantastic in everything they do.


Hi ET

Could'nt agree with you more!! I studied in Sweden and was gobsmacked by the uber stylish designs, quality and thinking which goes into the stuff they produce.  On the reels, man, you killing me here! :hehe: For posting such beauty, have some  :+ cred:

I think flyfishing is the next frontier for me :rck"


Thanx Boet, I have 2 friends in Sweden. The one builds reels and the other builds rods and everything they produce is just amazing. On the Engineering side, I have yet to see something made elsewhere that can match the Swedes.


They are fantastic craftsmen, they are loyal, trustworthy and I have had stuff made over there and then i am instructed to only pay for it once I have received it and if I am satisfied with what I have been sent. Who does that these days????

The East will make you stuff, but you must pay first and if it's wrong, "Solly to heal, maybe you can make mistake when you odar."       :rotfl


They really are so honest and trustworthy. I wrote exams where I was allowed to go out and have a smoke break during the sitting!! I was blown away by the fact that the invigilator said, "enjoy ur smoke and come in when u ready"!!! As you said, where in the world will you be trusted like that??

Its a pity alot or most of the Abu products are also made in China now.

Where in Sweden are your buddies based? I was at Uppsala University which is about 70Kms North of Stockholm.
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: E.T. on July 16, 2012, 04:30:55 PM
Anders who builds reels is in Margretetorpsvägen.


And Christian is in Stockholm. This guy is an Architect and he plays a bunch of instruments. He does classical music from time to time.
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: Ziggy on July 24, 2012, 01:49:12 PM
Thanks to ET for his extensive advice I now have a new rod and reel see   http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=10729.msg163465#msg163465 (http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=10729.msg163465#msg163465)


Cred to you ET and thanks!
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: Pipe on August 03, 2012, 03:18:44 PM
Hey Guys,


How do you think this reel would match up with a Sage ONE:
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: Pipe on August 03, 2012, 03:20:27 PM
(http://waterworks-lamson.com/wp-content/uploads/LITESPEED-2012-700.jpg)
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: Pipe on August 03, 2012, 03:21:21 PM
What other reels would you suggest in the price range
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: E.T. on August 04, 2012, 12:13:20 PM
On what weight?
The Lamson Litespeed is a great choice. Value for money and nothing comes close.
 
If you go back on this thread you will see that the Litespeed was actually discussed as were a bunch of other reels in various weights. It's all there for the taking.
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: Pipe on August 04, 2012, 01:08:52 PM
will have a look thank u. It s for a 5 weight
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: E.T. on August 04, 2012, 10:24:16 PM
will have a look thank u. It s for a 5 weight


Save some money and buy one through the local agent.


www.scyllafishing.co.za (http://www.scyllafishing.co.za)
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: Pipe on August 06, 2012, 09:08:01 AM
Have been in contact with them.


Doesn't seem there is much mention on Shilton in this thread...
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: E.T. on August 07, 2012, 06:38:34 PM
Have been in contact with them.


Doesn't seem there is much mention on Shilton in this thread...

Start here.....
 
http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=10243.msg156107#msg156107 (http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=10243.msg156107#msg156107)
 
and if you don't find what you are looking for with regards to Shilton, come back to this thread and ask a few questions about it then?
 
Best
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: Pipe on August 16, 2012, 11:32:49 AM
Here is something a bit different, good looking I don't know....


(http://www.cheekyflyfishing.com/sites/www.cheekyflyfishing.com/files/imagecache/product/Ambush%20001-001.jpg)


(http://www.cheekyflyfishing.com/sites/www.cheekyflyfishing.com/files/imagecache/uc_thumbnail/Ambush%20006-001.jpg)
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: E.T. on August 17, 2012, 08:40:45 AM
This Brand of reels is something that surely gets made in the East.
Up and till a month or so ago, they only had two models. Why did they not show any prototypes?
Will you see another brand push out the same reels in different colours? The chances are very good.
Now their range start at about $340-$460. Would I pay that for a reel that is mass produced in a country that needs our Rhino Horn for medicinal purposes?
Not a chance. I would go for the real deal. Abel, finish and klaar.

http://www.abelreels.com/fly-reels.html (http://www.abelreels.com/fly-reels.html)

Just look at this beauty......

http://www.abelreels.com/store/James-Prosek-limited-edition-Snook.html (http://www.abelreels.com/store/James-Prosek-limited-edition-Snook.html)
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: E.T. on December 14, 2012, 12:30:28 PM
Need something to fill those Christmas Stockings????


What about an engraved Abel??


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/ABEL-GRAVURE_zpsa86cac4c.gif)


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/TT-POIGNEE-EBENE_zpsd3b07de1.jpg)
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: E.T. on December 14, 2012, 12:38:46 PM
Or maybe you would like to sample the new Lamson Speedster???


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/Chart_Lamson_Speedster_zps45af4209.jpg)

This reel has to be right at the top of my list for prettiest reel of 2012.
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: Lichia amia on December 14, 2012, 01:07:17 PM
Or maybe you would like to sample the new Lamson Speedster???


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/Chart_Lamson_Speedster_zps45af4209.jpg)

This reel has to be right at the top of my list for prettiest reel of 2012.

Wolf Whistle , does she put out on 1st dates .
 
Work of art , im in love  :clwn
 
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: E.T. on December 14, 2012, 01:12:18 PM

Wolf Whistle , does she put out on 1st dates .
 
Work of art , im in love  :clwn


Yes she can put out, the question is....Are you man enough to reel her in? :hyst: :hyst:
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: Ziggy on December 14, 2012, 01:24:12 PM
All this bling that I will never possess makes me naar! I wish I wish i wish....but Santa does not listen
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: Lichia amia on December 14, 2012, 01:27:47 PM

Wolf Whistle , does she put out on 1st dates .
 
Work of art , im in love  :clwn


Yes she can put out, the question is....Are you man enough to reel her in? :hyst: :hyst:

 
 :rotfl
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: dicko on December 15, 2012, 06:36:41 PM
Hi guys what do you think of sientific angler line? I have a mate who uses it for kingies :gt:  at Kosi and banganeck and swears by it
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: Capt. Hook on December 15, 2012, 07:49:01 PM
Hi guys what do you think of sientific angler line? I have a mate who uses it for kingies :gt:  at Kosi and banganeck and swears by it
Its good line, I reccomend it.
Personally I'm an Airflo man.
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: dicko on December 15, 2012, 10:14:07 PM
Thanks, my dad uses airflow on his 11wt and it does cast very nicely:)
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: kevinlab on January 05, 2013, 07:42:39 AM
I got myself the Scientific Anglers GPX Taper Textured wf 5 f last year and a it's been a dream, I don't think i'll change in a hurry.
I have the Cortland 444 on my my spare reel but there is no comparision. The scientific also has very little line memory and I cast it much further than the 444.
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: Gerhard on January 05, 2013, 10:34:08 AM
Been happy with the Stealth SLA 2 on the 5wt TFO


(http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y62/Jakkals/cc92182c688f6c42e735c6149cb7cba3.jpg)


(http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y62/Jakkals/cc8583584605a8d4d9038938c8a96c63.jpg)
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: E.T. on September 25, 2013, 03:41:53 PM
Here is something my good old friend in Sweden just completed.....


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/DSC_0494_zpsc0b9ea02.jpg) (http://s255.photobucket.com/user/KOOS_ECKARD/media/DSC_0494_zpsc0b9ea02.jpg.html)


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/DSC_0495_zps6c210f01.jpg) (http://s255.photobucket.com/user/KOOS_ECKARD/media/DSC_0495_zps6c210f01.jpg.html)


Fantastic craftsmanship and a steal in the $400-$500 price bracket.
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: Wynand13 on September 27, 2013, 12:12:11 PM
Really nice, would not mind having some of them in my kit..
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: E.T. on September 27, 2013, 12:17:13 PM
Really nice, would not mind having some of them in my kit..


He has been working on this design for a few years now and I honestly believe he has now perfected it. Saw that a guy took delivery of one of these in Australia a few months ago.
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: E.T. on September 27, 2013, 12:27:47 PM
Here is actually something to look forward to in 2014...


It's the new Sage Evoke


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/flyreel-SageEvoke2_zpsc01966d9.jpg) (http://s255.photobucket.com/user/KOOS_ECKARD/media/flyreel-SageEvoke2_zpsc01966d9.jpg.html)


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/sagereel_evoke_lg1_zps0507ff3c.jpg) (http://s255.photobucket.com/user/KOOS_ECKARD/media/sagereel_evoke_lg1_zps0507ff3c.jpg.html)


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/SageEvoke_zps7ed71803.jpeg) (http://s255.photobucket.com/user/KOOS_ECKARD/media/SageEvoke_zps7ed71803.jpeg.html)


For specs, etc.....
http://www.sageflyfish.com/fly-fishing-reels/all-water/evoke/ (http://www.sageflyfish.com/fly-fishing-reels/all-water/evoke/)

Look close you might just see Ari Hart's Design in this reel.
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: brianshaffer on January 15, 2018, 07:56:52 AM
Hey, is this page still being followed ? I guess so.. I found this link ...
Title: Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
Post by: colin on January 15, 2018, 08:25:24 AM
hi Brian  :welc: :uarocks :toppie:
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal