Author Topic: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....  (Read 92065 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline E.T.

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 883
  • Cred: 87
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria, Gauteng
Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
« Reply #60 on: May 18, 2012, 09:42:55 AM »
Cortland Retro on Scott F2






Offline E.T.

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 883
  • Cred: 87
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria, Gauteng
Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
« Reply #61 on: May 18, 2012, 09:44:32 AM »
Something you don't see everyday, A Classic RR2






Offline E.T.

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 883
  • Cred: 87
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria, Gauteng
Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
« Reply #62 on: May 18, 2012, 10:20:59 AM »
The best R200 you could ever spend.....




The Daiwa Lochmor 100A, I know the pic says 200A.....You get the idea.


These are rated as 4/5wt reels, but they are so light that you can fish them on anything from a 1wt to a 5wt. Would not be my preferred reel of choice when fishing the Vaal, but for Smallstreams and Trout Lakes they are perfect. It's a classic Spring-And-Pawl reel and there isn't much that can go wrong with this reel.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 10:23:45 AM by E.T. »

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
« Reply #63 on: May 18, 2012, 10:24:51 AM »
The best R200 you could ever spend.....


I own 4 of them..... :clwn

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
« Reply #64 on: May 18, 2012, 10:27:54 AM »
Lochmor S 100's that is  :corrct:

Offline E.T.

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 883
  • Cred: 87
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria, Gauteng
Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
« Reply #65 on: May 18, 2012, 10:32:00 AM »
Another good investment that falls in the same class is the Sensation Viking 4/5wt at about R175, looks exactly like this Martin....





I own one of the Sensation reels and I fish it regularly on a 3wt setup. It is stupendously light.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 10:33:02 AM by E.T. »

Offline E.T.

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 883
  • Cred: 87
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria, Gauteng
Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
« Reply #66 on: May 18, 2012, 10:35:50 AM »
Lochmor S 100's that is  :corrct:


Like these???




The A model with the ported back is their latest offering. Daryl human fished one up on the Bushmans in March. I am impressed by that reel, honestly.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 10:37:24 AM by E.T. »

Offline E.T.

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 883
  • Cred: 87
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria, Gauteng
Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
« Reply #67 on: May 18, 2012, 10:39:20 AM »
Both the Sensation and Daiwa is die cast jobbies and honestly these reels are right up there with the more expensive Orvis with the same design.

Not sure????



Well this is the Orvis CFO's innards, not that much different to the Daiwa is it? Except for the price that is.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 10:44:49 AM by E.T. »

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
« Reply #68 on: May 18, 2012, 10:57:42 AM »


Like these???


Thats them, fantastic value for money, mine must be more than 10 years old now. Landed my PB yellow at Ben Johs with this reel, it can be "palmed" with one finger!

Offline Ziggy

  • Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1672
  • Cred: 182
  • Gender: Male
  • Teeth that bite!
  • Location: Durban
Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
« Reply #69 on: May 18, 2012, 10:59:41 AM »
After viewing all those expensive bling reels, and salivating more than a dog looking at a bone, I wished I was a rich man (or a genie would appear and grant me a few wishes).


But then, the last few posts on good inexpensive reels makes me feel that I will just continue with:
  • my Lamson (bought in 1992) is still an excellent reel in excellent conditions with three spools - matched with a 8wt Sage. I used it for bone fish in Mexico and trout in Alsaka - never had a problem and has a good drag. Have used it a lot in the surf here is SA
  • my Orvis Battenkill (bought in 1998)with two spools -  I use it for stream fishing with my Orvis 2wt  - I just love that reel
  • My System 2 with two spools bought in 1992 with my Loomis 5 wt - still in great condition and extensively used - simple mechanisms
So - I have now sucked in the saliva dribbling down my chin and resigned myself to staying with what i have - and feeling fortunate


Offline E.T.

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 883
  • Cred: 87
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria, Gauteng
Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
« Reply #70 on: May 18, 2012, 11:09:40 AM »
Ziggy nothing wrong with what you got :fshn:

Offline E.T.

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 883
  • Cred: 87
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria, Gauteng
Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
« Reply #71 on: May 18, 2012, 11:23:05 AM »
I too own 3 or maybe 4 reels, some cheap, some junk and some fantastic.


I always wanted one of these.....








It's a Abu Garcia Delta 3 Fly Reel. Well I did get one. Bought it from someone down in the Cape and when it arrived I noticed that it is in very good condition, except for the drag gear thats missing on the inside. No problem, I hopped onto the net and searched high and low for that part.


Long story, short....It's now a glorified paper weight. They aren't worth that much as you can get one in working condition for about R300. Am I in the mood to replace this one? Nope, there is better things to do with R300.

Offline E.T.

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 883
  • Cred: 87
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria, Gauteng
Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
« Reply #72 on: May 18, 2012, 11:33:43 AM »
If you are in need of a 5/6wt reel and you stumble over one of these......





And you don't want to buy it, you call me cause I will buy it on the spot.
This reel has one of the smoothest drags I have ever seen on a reel. This reel won't let you down when hooking into a beast.

I rate this reel as one of the best reels out there. I would use the Ultegra 78 for LM Yellows, Big Barbel and Tigers without thinking twice.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 11:37:02 AM by E.T. »

Offline Hooch

  • Banned
  • *
  • Posts: 330
  • Cred: 33
  • Gender: Male
  • Fear no Fish
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
« Reply #73 on: May 18, 2012, 02:14:50 PM »
If you are in need of a 5/6wt reel and you stumble over one of these......





And you don't want to buy it, you call me cause I will buy it on the spot.
This reel has one of the smoothest drags I have ever seen on a reel. This reel won't let you down when hooking into a beast.

I rate this reel as one of the best reels out there. I would use the Ultegra 78 for LM Yellows, Big Barbel and Tigers without thinking twice.
I have the 7/8 one. Some big mermaids were caught with it in the past. :bow:

Offline rockspider

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 146
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • http://www.flickr.com/photos/rockspider/
  • Location: London, UK from Brakpan, SA
Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
« Reply #74 on: May 18, 2012, 02:20:40 PM »
the ultegra's are great reels, i thoroughly enjoy mine. I managed to find some new ones over here, with spools for my 5 wt :)
good value for money imho 

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
« Reply #75 on: May 18, 2012, 02:39:27 PM »
If you are in need of a 5/6wt reel and you stumble over one of these......





And you don't want to buy it, you call me cause I will buy it on the spot.
This reel has one of the smoothest drags I have ever seen on a reel. This reel won't let you down when hooking into a beast.

I rate this reel as one of the best reels out there. I would use the Ultegra 78 for LM Yellows, Big Barbel and Tigers without thinking twice.

So true Koos. I've had my 56  for 6 years now, and with the Scott SAS 5# have landed my PB barbel, LM yellow, and nearly my PB SM yellow.
 
That reel has been abused on the Vaal no end and the drag is as silky smooth as ever. You can adjust it click by click whilst fighting a big fish. :-) :-)
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline fish4fun

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 25
  • Cred: 14
  • Location: Duban
Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
« Reply #76 on: May 19, 2012, 06:39:04 PM »
Pure flyfishing porn.....more please!

Offline E.T.

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 883
  • Cred: 87
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria, Gauteng
Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
« Reply #77 on: May 21, 2012, 09:14:54 AM »
Today I have something completely different for you









Now the Thinkfish Bold is a Semi Automatic fly reel, but this reel is an improvement of older Semi Automatic reels. Why? Well on older reels you had to preset the drag, but on the Thinkfish Bold you can set the drag as with any other fly reel.


Why a Semi Automatic Reel? Well you have control at your finger tips. By simply pulling the handle, the reel retrieves line automatically, so you are in contact with the fish the whole time.


These reels are rated 5-7wt and they will set you back about R3000


In Europe these kind of reels are very popular, even the Norwegian Flyfishing Team uses them to fish.

Offline E.T.

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 883
  • Cred: 87
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria, Gauteng
Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
« Reply #78 on: May 21, 2012, 10:27:46 AM »
If you like fishing a classic reel on your Fibreglass, Graphite or Splitcane, then this is a great find....














This is the Fish On Black Bear No.1 In Spitfire finish at a ridiculous price of $110


http://www.blackbearflyfishing.com/servlet/the-57/Fishon-Black-Bear-Spit/Detail



« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 10:28:24 AM by E.T. »

Offline E.T.

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 883
  • Cred: 87
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria, Gauteng
Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
« Reply #79 on: May 21, 2012, 10:31:54 AM »
Also look at Fishon Kodiak Red Agate No3 Classic Fly Reel





http://www.blackbearflyfishing.com/servlet/the-26/Fishon-Kodiak-No3-Classic/Detail


You can either go for a reel with a vented spool or a solid spool @ $275USD

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal