Author Topic: A learning experience  (Read 252552 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Steenie

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 748
  • Cred: 31
  • Gender: Male
  • Durban-based shore spinnerman
  • Location: Queensburgh, KZN
Re: A learning experience
« Reply #760 on: July 04, 2018, 06:20:25 PM »
Hi Steenie and everyone here.

Ive just got back from Anerley Beach on the about Coast. I fished my arms off at Stebel Rock and at numerous points along the beach where we're staying. The sards were just behind the backiline and sadly out of my reach while the were getting smashed by birds and fish. Which brings me to my question about how far are the pros casting? Are you all reaching well behind the backline? 

For reference I would guess I'm getting at least 80-90m on a good cast with a chase spoon 45gr. Setup is a shimano sustain 5000, Diawa Excellor 10'6" 30-110gr rod and Gosen 30lb braid with a casting leader. I'm falling well short of the water behind the backline. Is this rod a bit heavy and not loading properly?

That’s a pity man! But the sard shoals have had very little gamefish with them except sharks so far. When you say 30 lb Gosen braid I assume its PE2 rating? 80 - 90 m on PE2 braid on the coast with our high humidity is not bad hey. But there is a big difference in casting performance between the PE1.5 and PE2 versions. With a casting leader you could consider scaling down to PE1.5, which will make a big difference to casting distance.

Offline bowsalekta

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 39
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Gauteng
Re: A learning experience
« Reply #761 on: July 04, 2018, 08:14:50 PM »
Hi Steenie and everyone here.

Ive just got back from Anerley Beach on the about Coast. I fished my arms off at Stebel Rock and at numerous points along the beach where we're staying. The sards were just behind the backiline and sadly out of my reach while the were getting smashed by birds and fish. Which brings me to my question about how far are the pros casting? Are you all reaching well behind the backline? 

For reference I would guess I'm getting at least 80-90m on a good cast with a chase spoon 45gr. Setup is a shimano sustain 5000, Diawa Excellor 10'6" 30-110gr rod and Gosen 30lb braid with a casting leader. I'm falling well short of the water behind the backline. Is this rod a bit heavy and not loading properly?

That’s a pity man! But the sard shoals have had very little gamefish with them except sharks so far. When you say 30 lb Gosen braid I assume its PE2 rating? 80 - 90 m on PE2 braid on the coast with our high humidity is not bad hey. But there is a big difference in casting performance between the PE1.5 and PE2 versions. With a casting leader you could consider scaling down to PE1.5, which will make a big difference to casting distance.

Hi Steenie, yes it's PE2.  Thanks for the reply. Should I also look at a 1-2 Oz rated rod instead of the heavier rod I have?

Offline Steenie

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 748
  • Cred: 31
  • Gender: Male
  • Durban-based shore spinnerman
  • Location: Queensburgh, KZN
Re: A learning experience
« Reply #762 on: July 04, 2018, 08:21:40 PM »
Hi Steenie and everyone here.

Ive just got back from Anerley Beach on the about Coast. I fished my arms off at Stebel Rock and at numerous points along the beach where we're staying. The sards were just behind the backiline and sadly out of my reach while the were getting smashed by birds and fish. Which brings me to my question about how far are the pros casting? Are you all reaching well behind the backline? 

For reference I would guess I'm getting at least 80-90m on a good cast with a chase spoon 45gr. Setup is a shimano sustain 5000, Diawa Excellor 10'6" 30-110gr rod and Gosen 30lb braid with a casting leader. I'm falling well short of the water behind the backline. Is this rod a bit heavy and not loading properly?

That’s a pity man! But the sard shoals have had very little gamefish with them except sharks so far. When you say 30 lb Gosen braid I assume its PE2 rating? 80 - 90 m on PE2 braid on the coast with our high humidity is not bad hey. But there is a big difference in casting performance between the PE1.5 and PE2 versions. With a casting leader you could consider scaling down to PE1.5, which will make a big difference to casting distance.

Hi Steenie, yes it's PE2.  Thanks for the reply. Should I also look at a 1-2 Oz rated rod instead of the heavier rod I have?

I would first just try the thinner braid with casting leader and see how it goes. Unless the rod is hampering your technique in any significant way.

Offline bowsalekta

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 39
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Gauteng
Re: A learning experience
« Reply #763 on: July 04, 2018, 08:38:45 PM »
Hi Steenie and everyone here.

Ive just got back from Anerley Beach on the about Coast. I fished my arms off at Stebel Rock and at numerous points along the beach where we're staying. The sards were just behind the backiline and sadly out of my reach while the were getting smashed by birds and fish. Which brings me to my question about how far are the pros casting? Are you all reaching well behind the backline? 

For reference I would guess I'm getting at least 80-90m on a good cast with a chase spoon 45gr. Setup is a shimano sustain 5000, Diawa Excellor 10'6" 30-110gr rod and Gosen 30lb braid with a casting leader. I'm falling well short of the water behind the backline. Is this rod a bit heavy and not loading properly?

That’s a pity man! But the sard shoals have had very little gamefish with them except sharks so far. When you say 30 lb Gosen braid I assume its PE2 rating? 80 - 90 m on PE2 braid on the coast with our high humidity is not bad hey. But there is a big difference in casting performance between the PE1.5 and PE2 versions. With a casting leader you could consider scaling down to PE1.5, which will make a big difference to casting distance.

Hi Steenie, yes it's PE2.  Thanks for the reply. Should I also look at a 1-2 Oz rated rod instead of the heavier rod I have?

I would first just try the thinner braid with casting leader and see how it goes. Unless the rod is hampering your technique in any significant way.
OK thanks.  I'll give it a bash and see.

Offline Visenvryheid

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 456
  • Cred: 30
  • Gender: Male
  • Fishing and freedom! Thank the Almighty!
  • Location: Cape Town
Re: A learning experience
« Reply #764 on: July 05, 2018, 02:45:52 PM »
Throw a 60 g-80g spoon instead too with that rod to load it properly..The 9'6" xxxh exceler is spot on for 45g and is rated 30-80g.. A 11ft rod rated at 1-2.5 oz with a slightly lighter 8 strand casting braid, ja that will give you that extra distance. I'd use a 10' myself off a point and 11' off the beach, if my arms were shorter I'd use a 9'6" off the point but the are looong...How have the winds been? Offshore? If casting with offshore behind you with the right light rod (with right guide setup) and an 1.5oz and sustain or stradic 5000 and right thickness braid, you should be able to get well over 100m. 120m Should be a breeze.If I take the same spoon and try throw it on a heavier rod I'll struggle to get 100m, same if I swop the line on the reel for a thicker line. Possible the rod not loading and the line too thick too..in addition, the chase spoon is right material is not the most aerodynamic for distance casting? The Alcock brothers or Wayne Stanley (seal point lures) sell the correct metal spoons that are all you need. More than that you'll have to figure out ;) One design for action needed when distance not important (chase work the same for that application), other shape for when distance needed, size to rod/rig and match the hatch, get 1.5 oz, 2 oz, 2.5 oz etc.. have back-ups of the ones most often stolen by fish..Use quickclips. Shine up with some water paper or wet sand at the beach..that will catch one fish. Either of the the spoons, I can't tell you how many times I just drop them behind a boat when we are on the move and am rewarded with a bonnie or leerie or even tuna, tail under the boat, drop it to the bottom and crank! I don't think the fancier stuff could outfish the stuff that's been trusted and tried. I can try something with jigskins and lifelike action or whatever and my mate will still outfish me with a piece of metal or a piece of DIY breadboard with no eyes. He will outfish me by good margin, reliably..:)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 03:11:57 PM by Visenvryheid »

Offline FishStyx

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3007
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • I fish, therefore I am.
  • Location: Louist Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: A learning experience
« Reply #765 on: July 05, 2018, 02:58:34 PM »
Not sure about the newer Excellers but the old ones had awful guides. I replaced mine with Fuji K series and the casting difference was remarkable... Not to mention the fact that guide wraps during casting was all but eliminated. They were however, quite good blanks.
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline Visenvryheid

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 456
  • Cred: 30
  • Gender: Male
  • Fishing and freedom! Thank the Almighty!
  • Location: Cape Town
Re: A learning experience
« Reply #766 on: July 05, 2018, 03:08:51 PM »
Ja, exceler guides are k@k. If getting a new rod, i'd get one off the bat with fuji k anti tangle layout..wouldn't even consider another.

Offline bowsalekta

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 39
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Gauteng
Re: A learning experience
« Reply #767 on: July 05, 2018, 03:25:28 PM »
Thanks guys for all the input. I will give the thinner PE rated lines a go to start. Yes the Excellor doesn't have the best guides. It is quite a stiff blank which may be adding to the problem as well as the line thickness. We had a few beautiful mornings wind wise and a few days of gales.  Mixed bag.

Offline Steenie

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 748
  • Cred: 31
  • Gender: Male
  • Durban-based shore spinnerman
  • Location: Queensburgh, KZN
Re: A learning experience
« Reply #768 on: July 05, 2018, 03:35:33 PM »
Thanks guys for all the input. I will give the thinner PE rated lines a go to start. Yes the Excellor doesn't have the best guides. It is quite a stiff blank which may be adding to the problem as well as the line thickness. We had a few beautiful mornings wind wise and a few days of gales.  Mixed bag.

Sounds like the rod is not ideal for 45 g spoons and plugs. But you will be surprised what a big difference down-scaling from PE2 to PE1.5 braid makes ito casting distance. PE1.5 braid is the most popular amongst the serious spinnermen here in KZN. But if you still don’t get the distance you need it would be best to get a 1 - 2 oz rod with the right tip so that you can also effectively do jigging style spinning, which is hugely effective.

Offline bowsalekta

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 39
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Gauteng
Re: A learning experience
« Reply #769 on: July 05, 2018, 03:50:23 PM »
Cheapest solution to start would be different line as everyone is recommending. Then access rod and guides next.  With regards to the new Amia Zero rods I see there is a Heavy 1-2oz and a Xheavy 1-3oz.  Again I don't want to err on the heavy side if it's not necessary would the lighter one have a softer tip?

Offline Steenie

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 748
  • Cred: 31
  • Gender: Male
  • Durban-based shore spinnerman
  • Location: Queensburgh, KZN
Re: A learning experience
« Reply #770 on: July 05, 2018, 05:36:45 PM »
Cheapest solution to start would be different line as everyone is recommending. Then access rod and guides next.  With regards to the new Amia Zero rods I see there is a Heavy 1-2oz and a Xheavy 1-3oz.  Again I don't want to err on the heavy side if it's not necessary would the lighter one have a softer tip?

The 1 - 2 oz Amia Zero is a top-notch rod for throwing 45 g lures like spoons and plugs. The rod is not designed for shore slow jigging, which is a different game all together. All depends what type of spinning interest you have.

Offline bowsalekta

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 39
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Gauteng
Re: A learning experience
« Reply #771 on: July 05, 2018, 06:30:56 PM »
For now it will be just traditional spinning but have been watching slow jig fishing videos all afternoon and it looks really interesting!  I've never needed much of an excuse for another setup haha

Offline bowsalekta

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 39
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Gauteng
Re: A learning experience
« Reply #772 on: July 05, 2018, 08:03:07 PM »
For now it will be just traditional spinning but have been watching slow jig fishing videos all afternoon and it looks really interesting!  I've never needed much of an excuse for another setup though. What type of rod locally would be suitable for this style of shore jigging?

Offline Steenie

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 748
  • Cred: 31
  • Gender: Male
  • Durban-based shore spinnerman
  • Location: Queensburgh, KZN
Re: A learning experience
« Reply #773 on: July 05, 2018, 08:08:09 PM »
For now it will be just traditional spinning but have been watching slow jig fishing videos all afternoon and it looks really interesting!  I've never needed much of an excuse for another setup though. What type of rod locally would be suitable for this style of shore jigging?

Majorcraft rods are exceptional for this purpose.

Offline bowsalekta

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 39
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Gauteng
Re: A learning experience
« Reply #774 on: July 05, 2018, 09:27:19 PM »
For now it will be just traditional spinning but have been watching slow jig fishing videos all afternoon and it looks really interesting!  I've never needed much of an excuse for another setup though. What type of rod locally would be suitable for this style of shore jigging?

Majorcraft rods are exceptional for this purpose.

Thanks Steenie.  Sid you have to import yours? I don't see a local agent. Also in which scenario did you find this technique to work? I see a lot of the overseas areas have access to deep water and calmer seas. Where on the Kzn coast could this work well?

Offline FishStyx

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3007
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • I fish, therefore I am.
  • Location: Louist Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: A learning experience
« Reply #775 on: July 05, 2018, 10:27:57 PM »


Majorcraft rods are exceptional for this purpose.

Majorcraft rods are exceptional... Period.

I brought 2 in through eBay last year. I didn't buy direct from them but through a really good distributior in Singapore (I think it was Singapore) will definitely use them again. Let me know if you need their details bowsalekta.
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline Kes

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 282
  • Cred: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sandown
Re: A learning experience
« Reply #776 on: July 09, 2018, 08:56:04 AM »


Majorcraft rods are exceptional for this purpose.

Majorcraft rods are exceptional... Period.

I brought 2 in through eBay last year. I didn't buy direct from them but through a really good distributior in Singapore (I think it was Singapore) will definitely use them again. Let me know if you need their details bowsalekta.


Post it up here for all of us please..

Offline FishStyx

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3007
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • I fish, therefore I am.
  • Location: Louist Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: A learning experience
« Reply #777 on: July 09, 2018, 09:05:53 AM »
I bought from a seller called Shimreels. I had read some fairly bad reviews on him from a few overseas forums but his eBay track record was good. I gave him very positive feedback. It was a good shopping experience.
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline Steenie

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 748
  • Cred: 31
  • Gender: Male
  • Durban-based shore spinnerman
  • Location: Queensburgh, KZN
Re: A learning experience
« Reply #778 on: July 09, 2018, 09:08:03 AM »
Majorcraft spinning rods are brought in and sold by Outdoors 365. The contact person is Wayne Easton. He is based in Amanzimtoti.

Offline FishStyx

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3007
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • I fish, therefore I am.
  • Location: Louist Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: A learning experience
« Reply #779 on: July 09, 2018, 09:13:46 AM »
I had no idea there was a local agent
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal