Author Topic: A learning experience  (Read 252592 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Steenie

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 748
  • Cred: 31
  • Gender: Male
  • Durban-based shore spinnerman
  • Location: Queensburgh, KZN
Re: A learning experience
« Reply #660 on: December 05, 2017, 02:55:06 PM »
The CID Sprat spoon (pink-flash) in action.

Offline FishStyx

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3007
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • I fish, therefore I am.
  • Location: Louist Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: A learning experience
« Reply #661 on: December 05, 2017, 03:50:52 PM »
Excellent Queen there mate...  (clap)


I had no idea Rock Point had inlines... Oh well... best go get me some  :creep:
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline emjay

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 261
  • Cred: 18
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban/Richards Bay, KZN
Re: A learning experience
« Reply #662 on: December 16, 2017, 08:09:20 PM »
Awesome thread this! Really learnt a lot reading through it. Thanks for the time and effort of posting

I'm off to St Lucia this Christmas. Will make a plan to trek to first rocks and see what's what. Looking forward to it

You mention those sharks at Maphelane. In February, I saw a massive zambo cruising in the bay within spitting distance of the beach! Crazy how close they come
Fishing all day, everyday is still not enough fishing

Offline bowsalekta

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 39
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Gauteng
Re: A learning experience
« Reply #663 on: January 13, 2018, 10:36:32 AM »
I managed to pick up this Queenfish this week at St Lucia. In front of the estuary mouth. My first one and first real fish caught on a lure besides Shad on spoon and wave garrick on drop shot and fly. Was on an exceler plus 3000 and 8ft diawa exceler rod.

Offline Steenie

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 748
  • Cred: 31
  • Gender: Male
  • Durban-based shore spinnerman
  • Location: Queensburgh, KZN
Re: A learning experience
« Reply #664 on: January 13, 2018, 11:21:32 AM »
I managed to pick up this Queenfish this week at St Lucia. In front of the estuary mouth. My first one and first real fish caught on a lure besides Shad on spoon and wave garrick on drop shot and fly. Was on an exceler plus 3000 and 8ft diawa exceler rod.

Well done man! Those queenfish are such lovely fish to catch. I am really keen to catch a big specimen, hopefully soon!

Offline bowsalekta

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 39
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Gauteng
Re: A learning experience
« Reply #665 on: January 13, 2018, 11:42:26 AM »
I managed to pick up this Queenfish this week at St Lucia. In front of the estuary mouth. My first one and first real fish caught on a lure besides Shad on spoon and wave garrick on drop shot and fly. Was on an exceler plus 3000 and 8ft diawa exceler rod.

Well done man! Those queenfish are such lovely fish to catch. I am really keen to catch a big specimen, hopefully soon!

Thank you. Was a great fish to catch. Nice explosion on the take and a big jump when hooked. They fight hard. I'm sure a big specimen will give a great account for itself. It took it on a quick jerk retrieve.  I haven't had much luck on any of the Iron candy type lures but this did the trick. 

Offline colin

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 752
  • Cred: 13
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Kelland , Randburg
Re: A learning experience
« Reply #666 on: January 13, 2018, 01:04:22 PM »
 :cgrts: :envy :toppie:
My wife allows me to keep all the fishing tackle I can hide.

Offline Steenie

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 748
  • Cred: 31
  • Gender: Male
  • Durban-based shore spinnerman
  • Location: Queensburgh, KZN
Re: A learning experience
« Reply #667 on: January 13, 2018, 01:22:54 PM »
I managed to pick up this Queenfish this week at St Lucia. In front of the estuary mouth. My first one and first real fish caught on a lure besides Shad on spoon and wave garrick on drop shot and fly. Was on an exceler plus 3000 and 8ft diawa exceler rod.

Well done man! Those queenfish are such lovely fish to catch. I am really keen to catch a big specimen, hopefully soon!

Thank you. Was a great fish to catch. Nice explosion on the take and a big jump when hooked. They fight hard. I'm sure a big specimen will give a great account for itself. It took it on a quick jerk retrieve.  I haven't had much luck on any of the Iron candy type lures but this did the trick.

Was that on the clear CID sprat spoon?

Offline Steenie

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 748
  • Cred: 31
  • Gender: Male
  • Durban-based shore spinnerman
  • Location: Queensburgh, KZN
Re: A learning experience
« Reply #668 on: January 13, 2018, 01:29:11 PM »
Some success the last few weeks on soft plastics. Really starting to enjoy this style of spinning.

Offline bowsalekta

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 39
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Gauteng
Re: A learning experience
« Reply #669 on: January 13, 2018, 01:30:30 PM »
Hi Steenie. I believe it is an Onda by Maria?? if I can remember. I stand to to be corrected but I haven't bought the CiD version yet.  Correction it's The Onda by the kingfisher
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 01:33:46 PM by bowsalekta »

Offline Steenie

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 748
  • Cred: 31
  • Gender: Male
  • Durban-based shore spinnerman
  • Location: Queensburgh, KZN
Re: A learning experience
« Reply #670 on: January 13, 2018, 01:33:37 PM »
Another kingie on soft plastics

Offline Steenie

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 748
  • Cred: 31
  • Gender: Male
  • Durban-based shore spinnerman
  • Location: Queensburgh, KZN
Re: A learning experience
« Reply #671 on: January 13, 2018, 01:34:28 PM »
Hi Steenie. I believe it is an Onda by Maria?? if I can remember. I stand to to be corrected but I haven't bought the CiD version yet.  Correction it's The Onda by the kingfisher

Ok thanks!

Offline bowsalekta

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 39
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Gauteng
Re: A learning experience
« Reply #672 on: January 13, 2018, 01:36:02 PM »
Great catches! I need to learn how to find all these fish!

Offline Steenie

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 748
  • Cred: 31
  • Gender: Male
  • Durban-based shore spinnerman
  • Location: Queensburgh, KZN
Re: A learning experience
« Reply #673 on: January 21, 2018, 11:03:11 AM »
This fish on soft plastics revved me properly in the turbulent white water. As always, tagged and released.

Offline Steenie

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 748
  • Cred: 31
  • Gender: Male
  • Durban-based shore spinnerman
  • Location: Queensburgh, KZN
Re: A learning experience
« Reply #674 on: January 21, 2018, 11:04:59 AM »
Another one from this week.

Offline colin

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 752
  • Cred: 13
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Kelland , Randburg
Re: A learning experience
« Reply #675 on: January 21, 2018, 11:34:06 AM »
 :cgrts: as always  :bow: :toppie:
My wife allows me to keep all the fishing tackle I can hide.

Offline Steenie

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 748
  • Cred: 31
  • Gender: Male
  • Durban-based shore spinnerman
  • Location: Queensburgh, KZN
Re: A learning experience
« Reply #676 on: February 01, 2018, 06:02:33 AM »
The brut intensity of the attack by this very feisty 56 cm fork length greenspot (brassy) kingfish on my artificial offering, worked slow-pitch style, was truly spectacular. I gave it an ORI tag and released it back where it belongs.

Offline huntley

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 89
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pietermaritzburg - KZN
Re: A learning experience
« Reply #677 on: February 01, 2018, 07:41:48 AM »
Congratulations Riekert. Another good fish. You make me very envious (clap)

Offline Lofty

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1474
  • Cred: 79
  • Gender: Male
  • dis lekker by die see...
  • Location: Cape Town
Re: A learning experience
« Reply #678 on: February 01, 2018, 09:35:37 AM »
Wow,nice catch..wish I could fish as often as you do.. :-(
Always be humble...

Offline FishStyx

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3007
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • I fish, therefore I am.
  • Location: Louist Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: A learning experience
« Reply #679 on: February 01, 2018, 10:42:02 AM »
Beautiful fish  (clap)
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal