Author Topic: Steenbras Rig  (Read 19421 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline bubbleboy

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 66
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Port Elizabeth
Steenbras Rig
« on: June 04, 2014, 02:13:10 PM »
Hi Guys


Looking for your opinion on a light tackle setup for Steenbras


I might go  scratching for Steenbras at Cape Receife on Saturday, and I am hoping for some assistance.


How would Reef's latest setup work?


http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=16620.0


 :tkx:

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: Steenbras Rig
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 02:44:12 PM »
Would work well  :win:

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Steenbras Rig
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 04:18:53 PM »
No reason why it shouldn't work...  :dunno: I would just beef up the components... you don't really want to hook a steamer on a #6 hook? Maybe go up to a 3/0-5/0

Having said that, some amazing Steenies have been caught using a drifting type trace, (like mine), or with a small sliding sinker in shallow water. Some guys also find that fishing a skelm hook increases hookup rate? Allow the surge and wave action to wash the bait around into the dropoffs. Sand Prawn, Chokka, Octopus, Bloodworm works well for Steenies.
Important when fishing for Steenies is that they have a soft mouth and lips, you don't strike this fish! When he runs, let him go, then slowly lift the rod tip and tighten up - no striking!
 
I'm sure some of the Capies will come and give you better advice though!

 :tite bru - I hope you break your duck!

Offline bubbleboy

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 66
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Port Elizabeth
Re: Steenbras Rig
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 04:32:11 PM »
No reason why it shouldn't work...  :dunno: I would just beef up the components... you don't really want to hook a steamer on a #6 hook? Maybe go up to a 3/0-5/0

Having said that, some amazing Steenies have been caught using a drifting type trace, (like mine), or with a small sliding sinker in shallow water. Some guys also find that fishing a skelm hook increases hookup rate? Allow the surge and wave action to wash the bait around into the dropoffs. Sand Prawn, Chokka, Octopus, Bloodworm works well for Steenies.
Important when fishing for Steenies is that they have a soft mouth and lips, you don't strike this fish! When he runs, let him go, then slowly lift the rod tip and tighten up - no striking!

 :tite bru - I hope you break your duck!


Myabe a circle hook then - 2/0??  .  Unfortunately 0.5 FC is the thickest I have, so I will have to work with it.

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Steenbras Rig
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 04:36:52 PM »
No 0.5mm Fluoro is fine. The hook size is too small...
 
Read this article on Galjoen fishing - same things go for a Steenbras.... http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=603.0

Offline m4kes

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 41
  • Cred: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: PE
Re: Steenbras Rig
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 10:57:17 AM »
Hve any luck bubbleboy? Want to try out flat rocks to recife this weekend if possible.

Offline Willie

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2033
  • Cred: 237
  • Gender: Male
  • Ultimate Novice
  • Location: Nelspruit Mpumalanga
Re: Steenbras Rig
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 11:00:25 AM »
I will try this set up next week do you catch them in the night time?
The worst day fishing is better than the best day at office

Offline Lenny

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2529
  • Cred: 124
  • Gender: Male
  • Catch and Release
  • Location: Struisbaai
Re: Steenbras Rig
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2014, 11:16:58 AM »
Your Sinker must MUST slide , weather its a ball sinker sliding up and down the main line or snoot that slides up and down . Altough not a rule set in Stone , this has been proven over and over to be a better option that a fixed sinker .
I love my White steenbrass fishing , Kob can go a sleep LOL .


To float or not to float ?
I don't use a float and most guys i know , don't  but when fishing colder than normal water and crabs that might be a problem a small float will be fine .


Long hook snoot will also increase your lucky .


I don't know from area to area it differs , but in my neck of the woods  and Falsbay this is the way to go .


3/0 to 5/0 hooks maybe even a 2/0 .


If your fishing light like you planning , remember to open you drag when in a pipe , as you will loose your stick in a mili second , when they suck up that bait of yours , and feel theres something not  right they take of with one hella o a speed .


best tip i can give anyone for Steenbrasse are not to Pull to hard , they have soft lips and I have seen many Steenbrasse lost because of this .


Got to go , will add some more info a bit later .



Self catering , family accommodation available  in Struisbaai . Contact Leon 0780394225

Offline m4kes

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 41
  • Cred: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: PE
Re: Steenbras Rig
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2014, 11:42:12 AM »
Thanks for the tips Lenny.

Offline bubbleboy

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 66
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Port Elizabeth
Re: Steenbras Rig
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2014, 01:10:51 PM »
Hve any luck bubbleboy? Want to try out flat rocks to recife this weekend if possible.


Nothing - But no one caught anything that day.  Bait was everything from chokka, pilchard and prawn.


But I must be honest and say that I cannot blame the rig, as I tried to make it out of memory and was not successful.

Offline m4kes

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 41
  • Cred: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: PE
Re: Steenbras Rig
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2014, 02:57:00 PM »
Better luck next time, will wait to see how the weather turns out for the weekend.
Windguru prediction looks nice!

Offline Lenny

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2529
  • Cred: 124
  • Gender: Male
  • Catch and Release
  • Location: Struisbaai
Re: Steenbras Rig
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2014, 05:57:26 PM »
ohhh , Short shank hooks are a no no in my book for Steamers , now before someone freak out . I am not saying , they don't work for Steenbrasse .


If you use a normal Baitholder or even a Kendal It presents your bait better , and the bait will 'grab' the hook better hence your hook will set better . I prefer the Nordic bend Mustads , a very thin wire hook with a blue finish , they are not well known , but I will put my head on a block .


Steenbrasse are very very wary fish thats why sometimes you will get pulled flat , line peeling of your reel just to loose the fish , i THINK they suspect this meal is not Kosher and skeem I am outta here , and get tangled in your line , increasing your hook snoot lenth is a good idea.


I have heard guys getting a bite on the sinker , I don't want to speculate and I , don't think they pick the sinker up , they merely suspect something is not ON , and move away and in the process gets fouled up on you end tackle , only to shoe himself loose after the pick up .


You need a Westerly , NW or SW , and a three wave formation in most cases .


Really big STeenbrasse often fall prey to a long thin Pilchard bait , or a long thin Chokka .


BIG Secret , a bloodworm Chokka combo are DEADLY in Late August / September for KOB and Steenbrasse .
Self catering , family accommodation available  in Struisbaai . Contact Leon 0780394225

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal