Author Topic: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....  (Read 92085 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline schloshd1

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 278
  • Cred: 31
  • Location: Kelvin, Jozi
Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
« Reply #120 on: June 11, 2012, 10:16:23 AM »
Andrew I was at that Yellow Spot 3 weekends ago. We caught absolutely buggerall.
I waited for the wind to settle and the fish to start rising and not even that resulted in fish. I even put the fly on top of a fish only to see him take something next to my fly. I honestly must say that this place is not my most favorite of places to fish seeing that I have had very little success here.


Fantastic shots of the reel and fish w;k

The fishing is very tough there now, usual winter story. I have stopped targeting the smallmouth there now and am just fishing for largies.
What fly did the fish refuse? Were you fishing to fish feeding in the scum line or were you fishing a hatch?
I'm a weekend drinker, I start on Saturday and end on Friday - Bill Hicks

Offline E.T.

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 883
  • Cred: 87
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria, Gauteng
Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
« Reply #121 on: June 11, 2012, 10:25:55 AM »
Andrew I was at that Yellow Spot 3 weekends ago. We caught absolutely buggerall.
I waited for the wind to settle and the fish to start rising and not even that resulted in fish. I even put the fly on top of a fish only to see him take something next to my fly. I honestly must say that this place is not my most favorite of places to fish seeing that I have had very little success here.


Fantastic shots of the reel and fish w;k

The fishing is very tough there now, usual winter story. I have stopped targeting the smallmouth there now and am just fishing for largies.
What fly did the fish refuse? Were you fishing to fish feeding in the scum line or were you fishing a hatch?


I tried the scumline at first and later fished the hatch. They were very picky!!!
 Look, that place is even a challenge in summer.

Offline Hooch

  • Banned
  • *
  • Posts: 330
  • Cred: 33
  • Gender: Male
  • Fear no Fish
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
« Reply #122 on: June 11, 2012, 01:13:41 PM »
Hermann, ek het b 7/8 shimmy met n spaar spoel. Nou wat is hy werd? Koos en Rory het hom al gesien?

Hooch, if it's in good nick and an Ultegra, I will take it off you for 1K. Interested?
Nope

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
« Reply #123 on: June 11, 2012, 07:53:07 PM »
Hermann, ek het b 7/8 shimmy met n spaar spoel. Nou wat is hy werd? Koos en Rory het hom al gesien?

Hooch, if it's in good nick and an Ultegra, I will take it off you for 1K. Interested?
Nope

OK. At least I tried :blush:
 
There again if I had a spare Ultegra 5/6 I wouldn't let it go for anything. w;k :hehe:
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline E.T.

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 883
  • Cred: 87
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria, Gauteng
Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
« Reply #124 on: June 27, 2012, 04:43:52 PM »
Uncle Harry


Look at the G.Loomis Adventure Trout Fly Reel
http://www.vintagefishingtackle.co.uk/prestigeflyreels.htm
This one is 110 British Pounds and includes shipping.


Give this oke a ring cause this is a bargain if it's still available....
http://www.junkmail.co.za/v-pretoria-sports-angling--QZQYCatQX0197QYRgnQX0002QYAdQXF10882QYEdQX201139


Here you go.....Brand new.....


http://www.iflyshop.com/browseproducts/G.Loomis-Adventure-Fly-Reel-2.html


and


http://www.edgeangling.com/G-Loomis-Venture-7-Fly-Reel.html


I also suggest you get hold of Rapala VMC as they bring in Shimano as well as G. Loomis. You might be in for some luck.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 04:45:36 PM by E.T. »

Offline E.T.

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 883
  • Cred: 87
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria, Gauteng
Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
« Reply #125 on: June 28, 2012, 10:37:34 AM »
I would like to treat you today with a few classic Ross Reels....
















These belong to Christian Hörgen

Al

  • Guest
Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
« Reply #126 on: June 29, 2012, 02:06:41 PM »
Wow- this thread has turned out some amazing reels I have never seen before.
I'll skip the "collectors" stuff which I would love to have and get to what I'm using. I have been fly fishing for almost 50 years and have found reels are a lot like women. Weight - light is better than heavy. Looks - pretty is better than ugly. So light and pretty will cost you more than fat and ugly. But I actually look for functionality and value for money. I fish 2wt, 3wt, 4wt, 5wt, 6wt, 9wt, and 12wt.. In the lighter weights I tend to spend more on rods than fancy reels. I think the added price is worth the better rod technology and unlike other fishing - the reel doesn't  help you to cast further.
2-3wt is really made for small streams and small fish so in many cases these reels are often lightweight with a poor drag system. I saw a new imported Hardy large arbor this week with no drag! But today, we strive to catch bigger fish on lighter tackle so I look for a reasonable drag system in a lightweight reel. For my 9wt and 12wt for saltwater I want strength, reliability, and a really good drag system.
I have had many reels over the years but here is what I prefer now:
2-6wt reels. I use the newer Xplorer range Guide II and Eclipse series. They are not "cheap" but are really good value and the local service is excellent. If you are lucky enough to have an 8lb rainbow ripping line off a 3wt, a smooth drag is critical and these reels will do the job.
9-12wt. Here the quality of the reel is the most important factor to me. Flyfishing now includes "big game" saltwater species which can test you and your tackle to the limit and technology has really changed to increase the odds of success for the angler. One must also consider the cost of getting to these exotic destinations so quality tackle is a small part of the total cost. I started 30 years ago with a System2 and have has various reels since. I now use only Shilton - made locally and cheaper than many of the well known imported reels but, to me, as good as - or better than - any others I have seen or tried. I have a SL6 for my 9wt and am getting an SL7 for my 12wt for that sailfish which is still on my "bucket list".
So guys, nothing as fancy as the photos I've seen here - and believe me I would love to have some of those reels - just to fondle and admire but - like beautiful women - it's hard to justify the cost!.

Offline E.T.

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 883
  • Cred: 87
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria, Gauteng
Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
« Reply #127 on: July 03, 2012, 11:46:01 AM »
Something interesting is the fact that these Ari Hart Reels are on permanent exhibition in the Museum of Modern Art in New York......





Not too bad I would say and yes they are Gold Plated, something like 24 Carat if I am not mistaken.

dizzy

  • Guest
Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
« Reply #128 on: July 11, 2012, 01:41:40 PM »

Offline Lichia amia

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
« Reply #129 on: July 11, 2012, 01:46:14 PM »
Anyone heard of the Diawa Lochmor SLA - http://www.fishingmegastore.com/daiwa-lochmor-sla-reel~12257.html


Wolf whistle ……. Nice looking reel

Offline E.T.

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 883
  • Cred: 87
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria, Gauteng
Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
« Reply #130 on: July 11, 2012, 04:25:10 PM »
Anyone heard of the Diawa Lochmor SLA - http://www.fishingmegastore.com/daiwa-lochmor-sla-reel~12257.html



Haven't had one in my hands yet, but I saw a review on them the other day.
UK Flyfishermen aren't complaining about them, so that should say something and if it's anything close to reliable as the Die Cast Lochmor, then I can't fault it, honestly.

Offline MahiMahi

  • Ultimate Beginner
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 120
  • Cred: 2
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbz
Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
« Reply #131 on: July 16, 2012, 03:47:13 PM »
I would like to treat you to some exquisite workmanship from Sweden.
These people are genetically mutated or engineered, cause they are fantastic in everything they do.


Hi ET

Could'nt agree with you more!! I studied in Sweden and was gobsmacked by the uber stylish designs, quality and thinking which goes into the stuff they produce.  On the reels, man, you killing me here! :hehe: For posting such beauty, have some  :+ cred:

I think flyfishing is the next frontier for me :rck"
"This gift and bounty is from the bounty of my Lord"

Offline E.T.

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 883
  • Cred: 87
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria, Gauteng
Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
« Reply #132 on: July 16, 2012, 03:55:43 PM »
I would like to treat you to some exquisite workmanship from Sweden.
These people are genetically mutated or engineered, cause they are fantastic in everything they do.


Hi ET

Could'nt agree with you more!! I studied in Sweden and was gobsmacked by the uber stylish designs, quality and thinking which goes into the stuff they produce.  On the reels, man, you killing me here! :hehe: For posting such beauty, have some  :+ cred:

I think flyfishing is the next frontier for me :rck"


Thanx Boet, I have 2 friends in Sweden. The one builds reels and the other builds rods and everything they produce is just amazing. On the Engineering side, I have yet to see something made elsewhere that can match the Swedes.


They are fantastic craftsmen, they are loyal, trustworthy and I have had stuff made over there and then i am instructed to only pay for it once I have received it and if I am satisfied with what I have been sent. Who does that these days????

The East will make you stuff, but you must pay first and if it's wrong, "Solly to heal, maybe you can make mistake when you odar."
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 03:57:47 PM by E.T. »

Offline MahiMahi

  • Ultimate Beginner
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 120
  • Cred: 2
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbz
Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
« Reply #133 on: July 16, 2012, 04:20:32 PM »
I would like to treat you to some exquisite workmanship from Sweden.
These people are genetically mutated or engineered, cause they are fantastic in everything they do.


Hi ET

Could'nt agree with you more!! I studied in Sweden and was gobsmacked by the uber stylish designs, quality and thinking which goes into the stuff they produce.  On the reels, man, you killing me here! :hehe: For posting such beauty, have some  :+ cred:

I think flyfishing is the next frontier for me :rck"


Thanx Boet, I have 2 friends in Sweden. The one builds reels and the other builds rods and everything they produce is just amazing. On the Engineering side, I have yet to see something made elsewhere that can match the Swedes.


They are fantastic craftsmen, they are loyal, trustworthy and I have had stuff made over there and then i am instructed to only pay for it once I have received it and if I am satisfied with what I have been sent. Who does that these days????

The East will make you stuff, but you must pay first and if it's wrong, "Solly to heal, maybe you can make mistake when you odar."       :rotfl


They really are so honest and trustworthy. I wrote exams where I was allowed to go out and have a smoke break during the sitting!! I was blown away by the fact that the invigilator said, "enjoy ur smoke and come in when u ready"!!! As you said, where in the world will you be trusted like that??

Its a pity alot or most of the Abu products are also made in China now.

Where in Sweden are your buddies based? I was at Uppsala University which is about 70Kms North of Stockholm.
"This gift and bounty is from the bounty of my Lord"

Offline E.T.

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 883
  • Cred: 87
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria, Gauteng
Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
« Reply #134 on: July 16, 2012, 04:30:55 PM »
Anders who builds reels is in Margretetorpsvägen.


And Christian is in Stockholm. This guy is an Architect and he plays a bunch of instruments. He does classical music from time to time.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 04:31:11 PM by E.T. »

Offline Ziggy

  • Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1672
  • Cred: 182
  • Gender: Male
  • Teeth that bite!
  • Location: Durban
Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
« Reply #135 on: July 24, 2012, 01:49:12 PM »
Thanks to ET for his extensive advice I now have a new rod and reel see   http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=10729.msg163465#msg163465


Cred to you ET and thanks!

Offline Pipe

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 22
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Johannesburg
Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
« Reply #136 on: August 03, 2012, 03:18:44 PM »
Hey Guys,


How do you think this reel would match up with a Sage ONE:

Offline Pipe

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 22
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Johannesburg
Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
« Reply #137 on: August 03, 2012, 03:20:27 PM »

Offline Pipe

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 22
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Johannesburg
Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
« Reply #138 on: August 03, 2012, 03:21:21 PM »
What other reels would you suggest in the price range

Offline E.T.

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 883
  • Cred: 87
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria, Gauteng
Re: Lets Talk Fly Reels.....
« Reply #139 on: August 04, 2012, 12:13:20 PM »
On what weight?
The Lamson Litespeed is a great choice. Value for money and nothing comes close.
 
If you go back on this thread you will see that the Litespeed was actually discussed as were a bunch of other reels in various weights. It's all there for the taking.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 12:15:38 PM by E.T. »

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal