Author Topic: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?  (Read 22462 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Wynand13

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 285
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Krugersdorp
Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
« on: February 08, 2012, 11:27:32 AM »
        In response to Jean`s post on Best fly spots and a previous  post on Gauteng fishing would it be possible for us to build a database of fly-fishing  spots that is really worth visiting and those who you would suggest to give a  pass.
As we are not advertising places just name (maybe website),  location and species you can catch. I must say that I have been very disappointed  by some ads in the Fly Fishing magazines. The proof is in the fish caught.



There’s more to life than fishing – a significant small bit that I haven’t figured out yet….

Offline FCLoretz

  • The B-Specialist
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 83
  • Cred: 3
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Roodepoort, Gauteng
Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 11:30:05 AM »
Great idea Wynand,

Two places I would recommend where I have been is.

Silwerstrome - below the barrage
Eastco - outside parys.

both venues is for SM Yellows and barbel, If you want to target muddies go to silwerstrome.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 11:31:09 AM by FCLoretz »
Frederick

Offline jaenswart

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 11:31:08 AM »
My best flyfishing spot must be Rhodes in the eastern cape. Go there in April or September. Awesome.

Best stillwater that you know about...Must be Giants cup with Wolf.
Best stillwater you probably haven't heard of. Swartwater dam near Qwa-Qwa in the Freestate.

Offline Wynand13

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 285
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Krugersdorp
Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 11:36:06 AM »
HI Jean

Not aware of Swartwater, do you have more info for us?

FC Eastco delivered both times I tried, great to be reminded will be on my list again. I tend to visit so many new places that I forget about the one`s I`ve been to...
There’s more to life than fishing – a significant small bit that I haven’t figured out yet….

Offline Wynand13

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 285
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Krugersdorp
Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 11:46:59 AM »
I will post some of the obvious but still favourite spots.

Jozini Dam - Tigers please take heavy gear.. I tried to be brave and broke a perfectly good 5/6WT nice article at: http://www.flyfishersrepublic.com/destinations/jozini-dam/

Sterkfontein - Can I say more.. Sight Fishing at its best.




There’s more to life than fishing – a significant small bit that I haven’t figured out yet….

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 11:54:05 AM »
Best Places I have fished for Trout:

Rhodes in April, Millstream Farm in July (Dullstroom), and because of proximity and conveniance Footloose in Fourways in June and July...

Have a look at my site for info: http://www.fishthesea.co.za/fishingvenues/millstreamfarm.htm

http://www.fishthesea.co.za/fishingvenues/footloose.htm

It is also fun targeting Vlei Kurper, Largemouth Bass and Blue Kurper at Footloose on fly...

Tried Fly Fishing at Loskop Dam from the side, had big expectations but got one small Largescale Yellow...

Kowie and Kariega Rivers in The EC are great! http://www.fishthesea.co.za/fishingvenues/kariega.htm

Offline Kumz

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 11:55:29 AM »
Van's Place - Leeukloof ... hehehehehehe ..only place i have eva flyfished ...hahahahahah

Offline icstuff

  • The Ultimate Clown
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1105
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • It's the Water's fault!
  • Location: Meyerton
Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 11:58:39 AM »
My best flyfishing spot must be Rhodes in the eastern cape. Go there in April or September. Awesome.

Best stillwater that you know about...Must be Giants cup with Wolf.
Best stillwater you probably haven't heard of. Swartwater dam near Qwa-Qwa in the Freestate.

Last I heard is that that they are developing a lodge and that the dam is not stocked anymore? when last did you fish it?
I might be going there sometime this year.
Squid Happens!

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 12:06:30 PM »
Vaal venues: Theres too many!!! In no particular order, Yellowfish Paradise, Silver Strome, Eendekuil, the old Ben Johs and Oord Nebo.
Trout: Dullstroom Dam, Fins Estate, Leeuwkloof, Katrinasrust and the Waterval Boven Club waters. (All Mpumalanga)
I've had good success flyfishing for bass below Harties dam wall, but haven't been there in a while. I've fished the Jukskei at one or two spots which I've since lost access to, but am busy working on a new connection. I must admit as good a venue as Eastco is, I've always battled there, not sure why!

Offline jaenswart

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 12:09:26 PM »
My best flyfishing spot must be Rhodes in the eastern cape. Go there in April or September. Awesome.

Best stillwater that you know about...Must be Giants cup with Wolf.
Best stillwater you probably haven't heard of. Swartwater dam near Qwa-Qwa in the Freestate.

Last I heard is that that they are developing a lodge and that the dam is not stocked anymore? when last did you fish it?
I might be going there sometime this year.

sep 2011. We smoked the fish in the snow. Got about 17 size fish. I have some pics somewhere will look

Offline Wynand13

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 285
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Krugersdorp
Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 12:25:35 PM »
Rory - Just word of advice I know of a few attacks on people - Rock Climbers and Fishermen below the Harties Dam wall in the last 12 months. Close friend of mine was mugged over new year by group with knives etc, took all his  gear, and car, took his dad as ransom for them to go to bank and empty account, luckily they were unhurt but that is just a matter of time before these thugs go a step up...
There’s more to life than fishing – a significant small bit that I haven’t figured out yet….

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2012, 12:27:13 PM »
Rory - Just word of advice I know of a few attacks on people - Rock Climbers and Fishermen below the Harties Dam wall in the last 12 months. Close friend of mine was mugged over new year by group with knives etc, took all his  gear, and car, took his dad as ransom for them to go to bank and empty account, luckily they were unhurt but that is just a matter of time before these thugs go a step up...

 swr Thanks for the heads up Wynand!!! Scratched off my list!

Offline Luke13

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 43
  • Cred: 5
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Fourways
Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2012, 02:10:36 PM »
Blyderivier - Due to crocks not recomended to wade... Water is clear and the best for sightfisihing.

Offline E.T.

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 883
  • Cred: 87
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria, Gauteng
Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2012, 05:19:58 PM »
I have a few, but the two that stands out is the Bushmans and the Blyde.
I would go as far, to say that the Blyde is the best Smallstream in S.A. Very technical, but very rewarding.

Offline PH

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2492
  • Cred: 259
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pringle Bay
Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2012, 05:30:41 PM »
I know squat about fly fishing but was amazed to watch guys angling the following venues:
Groenvlei in the Southern Cape for Blue Gill Sunfish. They use a small red wooly "worm" on the hook.
Sedgefield Lagoon for Mullet.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 05:32:15 PM by PH »
We civilise left,  we civilise right
Till nothing is left and nothing is right
"Paint your wagon"

Offline E.T.

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 883
  • Cred: 87
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria, Gauteng
Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2012, 01:42:38 PM »
Here is a few pics of the Smalblaar down in the Western Cape.....






Offline PH

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2492
  • Cred: 259
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pringle Bay
Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2012, 01:47:30 PM »
Is that the spot in Du Toit's Kloof, Koos?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 01:48:28 PM by PH »
We civilise left,  we civilise right
Till nothing is left and nothing is right
"Paint your wagon"

Offline Lichia amia

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2012, 01:49:20 PM »
 :clfoto: Koos , what camera do you use ??

Offline E.T.

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 883
  • Cred: 87
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria, Gauteng
Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2012, 01:51:55 PM »
Is that the spot in Du Toit's Kloof, Koos?


No this is just before you get the tunnel from Franschoek's side w;k

Offline E.T.

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 883
  • Cred: 87
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria, Gauteng
Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2012, 01:53:20 PM »
:clfoto: Koos , what camera do you use ??


I use a Fuji Film XP20. No housings needed like on the Sea & Sea I had.

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal