Author Topic: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?  (Read 22466 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline E.T.

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 883
  • Cred: 87
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria, Gauteng
Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
« Reply #60 on: May 08, 2012, 07:31:57 AM »

 
BEST.
ITO, beautifull surroundings, small spooky fish it would have to be Rhodes & the Cape Streams.
 


Go fish the KZN Streams, you might end up not going back to Rhodes or the WC Streams. Some of these KZN Streams holds massive Scalies, so for you as a Yellow Fanatic that should be a major draw card. Oh and not all these streams have small spooky Trout, they have big spooky trout too.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 07:32:58 AM by E.T. »

Offline Ziggy

  • Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1672
  • Cred: 182
  • Gender: Male
  • Teeth that bite!
  • Location: Durban
Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
« Reply #61 on: May 08, 2012, 07:36:29 AM »

 
BEST.
ITO, beautifull surroundings, small spooky fish it would have to be Rhodes & the Cape Streams.
 


Go fish the KZN Streams, you might end up not going back to Rhodes or the WC Streams. Some of these KZN Streams holds massive Scalies, so for you as a Yellow Fanatic that should be a major draw card. Oh and not all these streams have small spooky Trout, they have big spooky trout too.
ET - I couldn't agree more!

Offline E.T.

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 883
  • Cred: 87
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria, Gauteng
Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
« Reply #62 on: May 08, 2012, 07:43:42 AM »
Ziggy in my honest opinion I believe the KZN Streams are the best this country has to offer.

Offline Ziggy

  • Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1672
  • Cred: 182
  • Gender: Male
  • Teeth that bite!
  • Location: Durban
Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
« Reply #63 on: May 08, 2012, 07:54:13 AM »
ET, I agree - but there is something to be said about the Rhodes streams when they are working optimally. My experiences at Rhodes are that you can certainly catch more fish if you hit it at the right time. There are so many good streams in KZN, but some are not accessible due to riparian ownership - and generally, the Ezemvelo streams are not the best. My favourites are the Bushmans near Giants and the Mzimkulu near Underberg

Offline E.T.

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 883
  • Cred: 87
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria, Gauteng
Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
« Reply #64 on: May 08, 2012, 10:49:07 AM »
Rhodes I have done and I honestly believe that it is nothing more than a over rated one horse town where you pay through your neck to fish for Small Trout. Here and there you will find fish worth your while, but at what cost?


Maclear is lesser known and I believe that the fishing pressure is minute and on average the fish is bigger than at Rhodes, plus the quality of fishing is way better and it won't rape your wallet either.


WC Streams has it's magic, but on average the fish is smaller than that of the KZN Streams.


Those that have been around will tell you that the best stream in this country is not in the WC or EC, but in the KZN midlands. 

Offline Wynand13

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 285
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Krugersdorp
Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
« Reply #65 on: May 08, 2012, 01:24:46 PM »
Anyone fished Lesotho lately, got an invite for next weekend?
There’s more to life than fishing – a significant small bit that I haven’t figured out yet….

Offline schloshd1

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 278
  • Cred: 31
  • Location: Kelvin, Jozi
Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
« Reply #66 on: May 08, 2012, 04:13:01 PM »
Anyone fished Lesotho lately, got an invite for next weekend?

Where about in Lesotho?
I'm a weekend drinker, I start on Saturday and end on Friday - Bill Hicks

Offline Wynand13

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 285
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Krugersdorp
Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
« Reply #67 on: May 09, 2012, 08:07:37 AM »
Northen Part we will be going in from Free State side. Not sure exactly where we will be fishing...
There’s more to life than fishing – a significant small bit that I haven’t figured out yet….

Offline schloshd1

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 278
  • Cred: 31
  • Location: Kelvin, Jozi
Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
« Reply #68 on: May 09, 2012, 10:23:54 AM »
Okay. I have only fished one river in the central/south eastern part. Once in early April and once in late April and found early April to be far better. Perhaps contact Fred Stynberg at linecasters.co.za? He may be able to give you more information.
In my very limited experience I have found that areas close to bigger settlements/villages are fished a lot by the locals and the fish are fewer and very spooky. The further away from populated areas I went, the better the fishing was. Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 10:25:56 AM by schloshd1 »
I'm a weekend drinker, I start on Saturday and end on Friday - Bill Hicks

Offline Wynand13

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 285
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Krugersdorp
Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
« Reply #69 on: May 09, 2012, 11:20:59 AM »
HI schloshd

Thanks for the info, aparanlty we will be far out from any settlement, will see what I can get and let you know
There’s more to life than fishing – a significant small bit that I haven’t figured out yet….

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal