Author Topic: Rod to go with me Shimano Ultegra 14000  (Read 15676 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Chris007

  • Guest
Rod to go with me Shimano Ultegra 14000
« on: September 22, 2011, 07:07:15 PM »
    Hi all,
I have bought myself an Ultegra 14000  and, toying with the  idea of loading it with braid exclusively. Playing with the idea of 45lbs or so  and a 180lbs braid leader or there about... 
And here follows the all important questions:
·          Should I have the power handle installed?
·          Should I have the casting modification done?
·          What rod to get to go with this new acquisition?
Now I know that the species I wish to target will determine  the choice in rod. To be honest all I know at this point is that I still want  to land a sandy on a grinder, and a proper sandy to boot. I would like a rod  that will be able to handle a fish of 50kg up to 120kg if at all possible. When  using the reel for throwing spoons or plugs I will be using my Loomis 14’ rod.
I hope that all this make sense, and thanks for all the  information I know I am about to receive.

Kind regards
Chris

Offline DONSA

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 93
  • Cred: 3
  • Gender: Male
  • "Form is temporary...Class is permanent"
  • Location: Durban KZN
Re: Rod to go with me Shimano Ultegra 14000
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 09:07:05 PM »
Hi Chris,
In terms of the rod I would go with the P6 Grinder from Gremlins rated 5-7oz.
 
With respect to the Ultegra maybe someone in the know can better advise you.
It's not about the size of the dog in the fight...but rather the size of the fight in the dog.

Offline Nemesis.

  • The Karou Charou
  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 182
  • Cred: 66
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Mandeni _ KZN Northcoast
Re: Rod to go with me Shimano Ultegra 14000
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 09:17:36 PM »
Donsa is quite right, go with the Pentagon P6 or with what i use, A Standard Assassin Heavy.
The New Ultegra CI4 comes with the modification to the bail arm so that it doesn't fall over in a cast, i would put a power knob, as i feel the standard knob is a bit to small.

Hi Chris,
In terms of the rod I would go with the P6 Grinder from Gremlins rated 5-7oz.
 
With respect to the Ultegra maybe someone in the know can better advise you.
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

Offline Half-Pint

  • CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3712
  • Cred: 223
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Boksburg
Re: Rod to go with me Shimano Ultegra 14000
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 06:49:53 AM »
Definitely go with straight braid. Speak to Homie on the site for some HMP braid alternatively speak to Gremlins about the braid. The P6 will handle anything you throw at it and invariably the weak link will be you. Braid + bigfish + long rod + deepwater= one very sore angler

Offline Fritz

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban
Re: Rod to go with me Shimano Ultegra 14000
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 07:14:57 AM »
Agree with the chaps above. Stick with the P6 and put braid on your reel. As for the power knob/handle? I would just leave that out.

Offline Half-Pint

  • CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3712
  • Cred: 223
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Boksburg
Re: Rod to go with me Shimano Ultegra 14000
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 08:02:19 AM »
Fritz is your reel the Ci4? I find the handle on the Ci4 really tiny!

Offline Fritz

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban
Re: Rod to go with me Shimano Ultegra 14000
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 08:05:11 AM »
Fritz is your reel the Ci4? I find the handle on the Ci4 really tiny!

No boet I could not wait for the C14.

Offline Half-Pint

  • CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3712
  • Cred: 223
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Boksburg
Re: Rod to go with me Shimano Ultegra 14000
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 08:16:55 AM »
The Ci4's handle is pathetic! If you get the Ci4 I'd say look for a qualtiy handle. I'd like to see if a Stella handle will fit instead of putting a new knob on which can look quite scrappy

Offline DONSA

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 93
  • Cred: 3
  • Gender: Male
  • "Form is temporary...Class is permanent"
  • Location: Durban KZN
Re: Rod to go with me Shimano Ultegra 14000
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2011, 08:21:53 AM »
Donsa is quite right, go with the Pentagon P6 or with what i use, A Standard Assassin Heavy.
The New Ultegra CI4 comes with the modification to the bail arm so that it doesn't fall over in a cast, i would put a power knob, as i feel the standard knob is a bit to small.

Hi Chris,
In terms of the rod I would go with the P6 Grinder from Gremlins rated 5-7oz.
 
With respect to the Ultegra maybe someone in the know can better advise you.
Hi Nemesis,
How do you find the assassin for this set up?Is it with the short heavy tip?
I must admit they are like the best casting rod I have used but with a multiplier.
It's not about the size of the dog in the fight...but rather the size of the fight in the dog.

Offline Nemesis.

  • The Karou Charou
  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 182
  • Cred: 66
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Mandeni _ KZN Northcoast
Re: Rod to go with me Shimano Ultegra 14000
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2011, 12:04:03 PM »
Donsa is quite right, go with the Pentagon P6 or with what i use, A Standard Assassin Heavy.
The New Ultegra CI4 comes with the modification to the bail arm so that it doesn't fall over in a cast, i would put a power knob, as i feel the standard knob is a bit to small.

Hi Chris,
In terms of the rod I would go with the P6 Grinder from Gremlins rated 5-7oz.
 
With respect to the Ultegra maybe someone in the know can better advise you.
Hi Nemesis,
How do you find the assassin for this set up?Is it with the short heavy tip?
I must admit they are like the best casting rod I have used but with a multiplier.
Hi Donsa, nope i use a long heavy tip, 6oz plus bait, it throws brilliantly. I changed all the eyes to accommodate the braid, and had the rod re spined for the grinder. Throws a mile.
Agree with you, the Assassin heavy is one of the best casting rods out there. Absolutely love the rod.
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

Offline Nemesis.

  • The Karou Charou
  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 182
  • Cred: 66
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Mandeni _ KZN Northcoast
Re: Rod to go with me Shimano Ultegra 14000
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2011, 12:09:20 PM »
Definitely go with straight braid. Speak to Homie on the site for some HMP braid alternatively speak to Gremlins about the braid. The P6 will handle anything you throw at it and invariably the weak link will be you. Braid + bigfish + long rod + deepwater= one very sore angler
Half Pint, i tend to disagree, see most of the okes and myself in Natal, use a piece of thicker braid, 100lbs to 150lbs, about 7 to 8meters attached to your casting braid with 7turn uni knot and bob sands knot, then to that i add half a meter to 1meter of .80mm mono leader, by a 7turn uni knot in the braid and a figure of 8 in the mono.
This is purely for abrasion purposes, not only from rocks/reef but also from larger fish that might rub against the line. If the knots are done correctly, the rod will break before they do. :win:
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

Offline DONSA

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 93
  • Cred: 3
  • Gender: Male
  • "Form is temporary...Class is permanent"
  • Location: Durban KZN
Re: Rod to go with me Shimano Ultegra 14000
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2011, 02:06:53 PM »
Cool Nemesis.Where can I find this 100-150lb thicker braid leader?Rather what should I be asking the guys for at a tackle shop?
It's not about the size of the dog in the fight...but rather the size of the fight in the dog.

Offline Nemesis.

  • The Karou Charou
  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 182
  • Cred: 66
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Mandeni _ KZN Northcoast
Re: Rod to go with me Shimano Ultegra 14000
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2011, 02:23:53 PM »
Hi I was given some 120lb Aracnid braid a while back, still using that, cheapest option will be to buy 120lb HMP Braid i think, not sure if Triple Fish Bully braid comes that thick either, as that would be a good cheap option too.
Cool Nemesis.Where can I find this 100-150lb thicker braid leader?Rather what should I be asking the guys for at a tackle shop?
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

Offline Half-Pint

  • CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3712
  • Cred: 223
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Boksburg
Re: Rod to go with me Shimano Ultegra 14000
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2011, 05:02:47 PM »
Lol Nemz read my post again. I said the weakest link will be you! The tackle is incredibly strong and with the right knots you won't break anything

Chris007

  • Guest
Re: Rod to go with me Shimano Ultegra 14000
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2011, 06:23:59 PM »
Thanks guys!!!!!!
This might be a stupid question but the rods mentioned, are they designed for grinders?
 

Offline Half-Pint

  • CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3712
  • Cred: 223
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Boksburg
Re: Rod to go with me Shimano Ultegra 14000
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2011, 06:26:55 PM »
The P6 is designed for grinders. The assassins need to be redone for a grinder

LoneWolfe

  • Guest
Re: Rod to go with me Shimano Ultegra 14000
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2011, 09:52:59 PM »
Ive paired mine with a shimano tiralejo 12 ft. Casts like a charm

Offline JonoPE

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 13
  • Cred: 0
  • Location: Blue Horizon Bay Port Elizabeth
Re: Rod to go with me Shimano Ultegra 14000
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2011, 09:53:59 AM »
Hi guys.
I have been fishing with my grinder(quantum Surge 60) and a L&F 12ft 3oz rod. Landed some nice fish off the beach by my house. Mostly Cob and Steenbras.

I want to convert my Posiedon 5 to a grinder rod. Should I do all 3 tips? I'm going to pair it with a Ultegra 14000 XSA Ci4.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanx

Offline Nemesis.

  • The Karou Charou
  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 182
  • Cred: 66
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Mandeni _ KZN Northcoast
Re: Rod to go with me Shimano Ultegra 14000
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2011, 10:01:06 AM »
Hi Jono, normally with multi tip rods, the rod is really built around the heavy tip, with the lighter tips on, the tip of the rod does all the bending and work, therefore you lose pulling power and distance with the lighter tips.As only the tip flex's, and not the entire rod. Rather build the rod with the heavy tip on. :tite
Hi guys.
I have been fishing with my grinder(quantum Surge 60) and a L&F 12ft 3oz rod. Landed some nice fish off the beach by my house. Mostly Cob and Steenbras.

I want to convert my Posiedon 5 to a grinder rod. Should I do all 3 tips? I'm going to pair it with a Ultegra 14000 XSA Ci4.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanx
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

Offline JonoPE

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 13
  • Cred: 0
  • Location: Blue Horizon Bay Port Elizabeth
Re: Rod to go with me Shimano Ultegra 14000
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2011, 10:17:14 AM »
Thank you.

Would the 6-7oz tip be okay fore edibles?

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal