Author Topic: Must-Byte goes sardine hunting  (Read 9618 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Half-Pint

  • CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3712
  • Cred: 223
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Boksburg
Must-Byte goes sardine hunting
« on: July 09, 2011, 12:35:18 PM »
Drove down to our place at St Michaels on the south coast today for 8 days. The plan was to chase the sards and target some big sharkies but I think I may have missed it a bit.

The trip got off to a flying start when at 4 am I realised my fishing licence has expired!!! Being a saturday I doubt I can get one today which means my first session will only be monday. I am tempted to fish with out it but murphies law means the day the law abiding citizen breaks the law is the day the parkies arrive. Will have to content myself with um .... I'm not sure what actually

J-Rock

  • Guest
Re: Must-Byte goes sardine hunting
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 04:24:47 PM »
Drove down to our place at St Michaels on the south coast today for 8 days. The plan was to chase the sards and target some big sharkies but I think I may have missed it a bit.

The trip got off to a flying start when at 4 am I realised my fishing licence has expired!!! Being a saturday I doubt I can get one today which means my first session will only be monday. I am tempted to fish with out it but murphies law means the day the law abiding citizen breaks the law is the day the parkies arrive. Will have to content myself with um .... I'm not sure what actually

That's life for you. Don't worry, just double check everything & get in there on Monday and make it worth while... "Go hard or go home"...  Keep us updated on what's happening! :tite

Offline Plugger

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 977
  • Cred: 13
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Forest Hills, Durban
Re: Must-Byte goes sardine hunting
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 05:05:24 PM »
Read your post too late for this reply but you could have got one from any Post Office. I would fish anyway the chances of you getting asked for a licence are extremly slim. I haven't been asked for one on the South Coast in 4 years ! Jim Fish is not very active these days.
Education is important but fishing is importanter !

Offline Half-Pint

  • CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3712
  • Cred: 223
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Boksburg
Re: Must-Byte goes sardine hunting
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 05:09:14 PM »
Plugger the PO was closed when I arrived and at 5am when I left home they were also very closed. The parkies are pretty active down here I get asked at least once a trip for my licence

J-Rock

  • Guest
Re: Must-Byte goes sardine hunting
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 05:43:24 PM »
IMO it's not about whether or not you get asked for your license, it's the principle behind it. UA is a forum dedicated to preserving what we have left, and doing the right thing. As law abiding citizens and as members of this forum we should all have a valid license when we go out to fish. If any member transgress, then they have no right to complain about anything that they see happen out there, whether it's shad being sold next to the road, undersized fish being kept or peolpe exceeding there bag limits.
What is R80 a year? Less than R8 pm to do what you love.

I'll go out tonight and it will cost me R139 for 1 double vodka Redbull, which will give me less than 15 minutes worth of enjoyment. We can all blow more than 5k on fishing gear, so why not R80 on a license.

*Don't encourage anybody to fish or even try to fish without a license. Luckliy we all know MB & we know he won't but others might take that advice and think it's acceptable to fish without a valid license.

Anyway  :welc:

Offline Plugger

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 977
  • Cred: 13
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Forest Hills, Durban
Re: Must-Byte goes sardine hunting
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 06:30:30 PM »
I don't take under size and very seldom take a fish at all but I realy am not rabid about fishing without a perrmit  for a day ot two. If I am in trhe situation where I am unable for whatever reason to purchase a licence I'll fish.I believe in shades of grey and don't equate an axe murderer or a child molester with fishing without a permit or parking on a yellow line.
Education is important but fishing is importanter !

Offline Half-Pint

  • CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3712
  • Cred: 223
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Boksburg
Re: Must-Byte goes sardine hunting
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011, 07:12:40 PM »
I can see both sides of this argument. J-Rock is right any transgression of the law IS a transgression. Plugger is right in that its not really harming anyone to fish for a day and a half without a licence because the post office is closed. Unfortunately the gods have a way of punishing me for that type of thing! The parks board also doesn't really listen to excuses. I have a couple of other things to do (read rod shopping) so I won't be risking it

J-Rock

  • Guest
Re: Must-Byte goes sardine hunting
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2011, 07:24:36 PM »
I don't take under size and very seldom take a fish at all but I realy am not rabid about fishing without a perrmit  for a day ot two. If I am in trhe situation where I am unable for whatever reason to purchase a licence I'll fish.I believe in shades of grey and don't equate an axe murderer or a child molester with fishing without a permit or parking on a yellow line.

I did not for one moment suggest that you take undersize fish or exceed limits. The point I am making is that all anglers should be following rules and regulations. Now, does everybody do it? NO! That's doesn't mean we shouldn't.
If you've followed some of the threads you'll notice that there are concerns about what happens on our beaches i.e.
Exceeding limits, undersize fish, and a multitude of other things. The point is that if we as members of this forum trangress, then we don't have the right to b!tch about other anglers who do not stick to rules and regulation.
A permit is really the simplest thing in the world, and there thousands of post offices around the country to obtain them from, so really we should always have one. Now if you fish a day or two without one, that's your decision, it still doesn't neglect the fact that it's against the law. I'm not saying that it's a major crime or anything, but next week when you see some oke selling his bundles of shad next to the highway, you can't say that he is breaking law.
If only we can get every angler out there to be in posession of a valid fishing permit, then maybe MCM might have enough funds to employ more parkies, who can then inforce the rules and regulations, and put a stop to the other illegal activities. So instead of encouraging people to fish witout a permit, we should be discouraging them. It's for our own longterm benefit.

Offline Fritz

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban
Re: Must-Byte goes sardine hunting
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2011, 07:55:19 PM »
Read your post too late for this reply but you could have got one from any Post Office. I would fish anyway the chances of you getting asked for a licence are extremly slim. I haven't been asked for one on the South Coast in 4 years ! Jim Fish is not very active these days.

The law says that you have to fish with a licence, its against the law to do so with out one. PERIOD.
 
It is very easy to become complaisent about the "smaller" things in life, but one becomes very blahzay about things like this and it will get you into trouble one day.
 
Just think how your local fishing spot would be if everybody paid their dues and cleaned up after them self, and at the end of it all stuck to the size and bag limits given to us.
Now put your self in the same situation but now every tom dick and harry do as they want. Leave their bait packets right their where they where fishing remove all the fish they catch. We all know that when the shad come on the bite that you can commit sin if you really wanted. Sooner or later we will not have any places to go to, to fish. Because the local people fight to make these spots protected ereas because of the dirt that we as anglers are leaving behind. The worst of all is the fish will all be gone because some nutter could not stick to the bag and size limmits.
 
I believe that our licence monies go to a good cause. If everyone that took a rod down to the water to fish just paid the licence i honestly think that our beaches would be in a much better state then what they are at the moment.

Offline Ziggy

  • Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1672
  • Cred: 182
  • Gender: Male
  • Teeth that bite!
  • Location: Durban
Re: Must-Byte goes sardine hunting
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 09:33:58 AM »
Yesterday I went fishing at virginia an hour before sunrise hoping to catch some shad - and as I was tackling up, I checked my licence....two days out of date! So I packed up and was then forced to route march down the beach with wife and dog. Fortunately, I saw no one catching any fish so I felt better....I am off to the Post Office this morning!

Offline John F

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 6563
  • Cred: 522
  • Gender: Male
  • Virtus et Honos
  • Location: Maputo - Mozambique
Re: Must-Byte goes sardine hunting
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2011, 09:50:50 AM »
Question: what's the validity of the fishing licenses in SA? 1 year?
Acecraft 660 DV
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

Offline Fritz

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban
Re: Must-Byte goes sardine hunting
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2011, 09:54:01 AM »
Yesterday I went fishing at virginia an hour before sunrise hoping to catch some shad - and as I was tackling up, I checked my licence....two days out of date! So I packed up and was then forced to route march down the beach with wife and dog. Fortunately, I saw no one catching any fish so I felt better....I am off to the Post Office this morning!

Good on you Ziggy. (clap)

Offline Fritz

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban
Re: Must-Byte goes sardine hunting
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2011, 09:54:53 AM »
Question: what's the validity of the fishing licenses in SA? 1 year?

Thats right Marcos.

Offline John F

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 6563
  • Cred: 522
  • Gender: Male
  • Virtus et Honos
  • Location: Maputo - Mozambique
Re: Must-Byte goes sardine hunting
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2011, 09:57:29 AM »
Thanks, Fritz... same with me... I get my annual license in January (mandatory here)... no way I run out of a license in mid year! 
Acecraft 660 DV
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

Offline Half-Pint

  • CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3712
  • Cred: 223
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Boksburg
Re: Must-Byte goes sardine hunting
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2011, 10:27:17 AM »
Got my licence! Off to the pool wall with a spoon and an ultra lite rod the shad were there just now


Offline Kumz

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Must-Byte goes sardine hunting
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2011, 10:45:22 AM »
Fish Braai on you next week @ Social ??? hahahahahaha

Offline CLS

  • Born to fish forced to work.
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1700
  • Cred: 114
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban - KZN
Re: Must-Byte goes sardine hunting
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2011, 11:07:38 AM »
I have mine plus for the boat, the amount they cost its not worth the hassle of arguing.A day or to is not going to harm anyone, you are allowed a month grace for a car licence ??.I would like to know what the licence money is being used for ??, then I would comment if I agree or not.. Good luck and enjoy you stay in KZN hope you have lots of  :fshn:  and a few  :beer:  and not too many  <:  moments.
A bad days fishing is better than sitting at home moping.

J-Rock

  • Guest
Re: Must-Byte goes sardine hunting
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2011, 12:23:18 PM »
Got my licence! Off to the pool wall with a spoon and an ultra lite rod the shad were there just now

Good luck. Hope  it's a great day....

Offline Half-Pint

  • CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3712
  • Cred: 223
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Boksburg
Re: Must-Byte goes sardine hunting
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2011, 12:44:24 PM »
No luck turned out to be karros but Ill be out this afternoon hopefully there will be some shad around for a livie to convert to a garrick

Offline Homie

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Must-Byte goes sardine hunting
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2011, 12:48:06 PM »
Hope you get a nice one Brad !

PS- A garrick of almost 18kgs came out at the Block in Sheppie yesterday on a live shad.

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal