Author Topic: MPT Bay offshore - What's up  (Read 360638 times)

0 Members and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline John F

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 6563
  • Cred: 522
  • Gender: Male
  • Virtus et Honos
  • Location: Maputo - Mozambique
Re: MPT Bay offshore - What's up
« Reply #240 on: October 14, 2012, 04:30:15 PM »
LOL guess you're right!
Acecraft 660 DV
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

Offline peterblace

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1151
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Mozambique - Maputo
Re: MPT Bay offshore - What's up
« Reply #241 on: October 15, 2012, 10:28:19 AM »
the amount of rain and cold I got on Saturday gave me a bad sore throat...
but at least we had a nice chat looking at the sea and hoping for a opening to go out

Offline shagnrelease

  • Banned
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: MPT Bay offshore - What's up
« Reply #242 on: October 15, 2012, 10:49:40 AM »
Here is Pedro waiting to launch.... :hehe:

Offline Prego

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2880
  • Cred: 167
  • Gender: Male
  • Because I said so
  • Location: Glenvista, Johannesburg
Re: MPT Bay offshore - What's up
« Reply #243 on: October 15, 2012, 10:53:18 AM »
 :rotfl :hyst:

Offline John F

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 6563
  • Cred: 522
  • Gender: Male
  • Virtus et Honos
  • Location: Maputo - Mozambique
Re: MPT Bay offshore - What's up
« Reply #244 on: November 05, 2012, 12:28:08 PM »
Seems like the season is in full swing arond here... heard of good catches made by Chakra from Clube Naval over the weekend... 2 wahoos, some nive dorries (7-9 kg), a few YFT (17-19 kg) and they lost a marlin on a rappie...

All I need is a break in the weather... been ready for ages, now....

Acecraft 660 DV
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

Offline John F

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 6563
  • Cred: 522
  • Gender: Male
  • Virtus et Honos
  • Location: Maputo - Mozambique
Re: MPT Bay offshore - What's up
« Reply #245 on: November 11, 2012, 05:08:06 AM »
Gone fishin'...
Acecraft 660 DV
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

Offline peterblace

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1151
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Mozambique - Maputo
Re: MPT Bay offshore - What's up
« Reply #246 on: November 12, 2012, 12:07:54 PM »
I planned to go out at 5:30...but the tractor man from Clube Maritimo called me by 4:45 to advice me to go quickly to the club as water was going out relly fast (low tide was at 7:30)
so by 5:00 I was in the water.....while MAXIMVS and CALUCA were still beeing set up at Clube Naval
I have asked their permission to leave to the fishing grounds and off I went straight to B24
there was some low wind (as forecasted) and bay was flat so we had a nice ride untill we get to the washing machine on the low depths area...we slowed down and crossed the area in 20 minutes before getting to the fishing grounds by 7:00
at 7:15 lines were in the water...Halco max (red/white), Rapala X-Rap magum (silver...Marcos most famous colour from Pemba "working trip"), daisy chains (blue, white feather), Demon Tackle medium soft lures (blue, white & pink)
my plan was to work the area for long hours...and I stick to the plan
by 8:30 I had my first strike on the daisy chain...cleared the lines and offered Theo (first timer and friend from Portugal visiting)...he was too scared and told me I should fight the fish
I was guiding him aboard (and he was doing a good job) and when fish (YFT) was within gaffing distance...and Theo was ready to gaff him I had a technical failure...bimini twist snaped at the loop (right where it joins to the wind on leader)
frustration was aboard (on my side) has I thought that I followed Reefmans instruction so carefully...wrong guess...
while we were still thinking about the failure a humpback whale erupted 5mts away from us...beautiful moment...tough scary!!!!

all set up again and we kept working the area...a lot of bait on the sounder...a lot of fish in the area but all on the 30mt depth mark...fish was standing between 28mt and 35mt on all the reefs I worked and during the all day water temperature was close to 24ºc

by 9:30 I had my second strike on Demon Tackle medium soft lure...again cleared the lines and offered Theo the rod...he passed and after a short fight I had a 7kg YFT aboard...so Maguro was blessed with some more maguro

we kept working the area but no more strikes...a lot of bird activity...a lot of bait fish...a lot of fish (at 30mts depth)...but no strikes
I decided to start my way towards Poço...and getting to Poço by 11:30 I had another strike (now on a purple small lure from Demon tackle) going over a bait ball...but unlucky has it was not properly hooked
when entering Poço from the South corner going over another bait ball I had another strike (again on the  purple small lure from Demon tackle)...Theo...you know...passed the opportunity and I was on again on a fight with a 4kg skipjack...
commented on the radio with Marcos that I had a nice skipjack for him for live bait...and he told me that I should put some strip baits on...first time but I saw it before...and it was easy...
man those lures with strip baits smoke like hell!!!!!...it was nice seeing the action on the water

by 12:45 I start may way to Boia Perdida en route to Maputo...this route between Poco and Boia Perdida was very famous 2 weeks ago with plenty tuna being caught...but again...no luck on ower side

by 13:10 wind started to pick up (weatherman forecasted some wind for 14:00) and called the day off...lines off and we raced to Clube Maritimo where we arrived at 14:30

79.4nm in total travelled on 135lt of petrol

Theo enjoyed the day after only sleeping 3h after his 10h trip from Portugal...saw whales...saw turtles...saw dlphins playing on my keels and jumping...I hope he enjoys his stay at ours

the rest of the boats:
Caluca...got lost from us, didn't use the rigth radio channel (was out of reach) and blanked
Maximvs...blanked...got a small bonnie and throlled for 4h on live bait
Yellow King...no idea...Marcos can you update here?
Karoshama...11 YFT (all around 7kg), 3 skipjack, 1 croc cuta
Four Play...2 YFT and 2......released Marlin in just 1h

pics will follow

Offline southcoastspearo

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 72
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: warner beach
Re: MPT Bay offshore - What's up
« Reply #247 on: November 12, 2012, 02:40:57 PM »
Hi Peter
Awesome report...you mentioned names of the area's you fished
B24,Poco and Boia Perdida...
Ive never fished Inhaca Island or Maputo area,could you please share some
waypoints for these area's...Thanks

Offline peterblace

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1151
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Mozambique - Maputo
Re: MPT Bay offshore - What's up
« Reply #248 on: November 12, 2012, 05:31:08 PM »
1st round

Offline peterblace

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1151
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Mozambique - Maputo
Re: MPT Bay offshore - What's up
« Reply #249 on: November 12, 2012, 05:32:38 PM »
2nd round

Offline peterblace

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1151
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Mozambique - Maputo
Re: MPT Bay offshore - What's up
« Reply #250 on: November 12, 2012, 05:33:35 PM »
3rd round

Offline peterblace

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1151
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Mozambique - Maputo
Re: MPT Bay offshore - What's up
« Reply #251 on: November 12, 2012, 05:34:02 PM »
final round

Offline John F

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 6563
  • Cred: 522
  • Gender: Male
  • Virtus et Honos
  • Location: Maputo - Mozambique
Re: MPT Bay offshore - What's up
« Reply #252 on: November 12, 2012, 06:21:01 PM »
Thanks for the report peter...

Yeap, we had a slow start... sorting out the ramp logistics was a bit of a bummer... took us a full hour... my Toyota Hilux surf was the working vehicle and Yellow King took ages with the winch...

Anyway we were sorted just after 06:30 and made our way to the grounds... nice flat bay and then washing machine.... we lost Caluca and kept going....

Got to the spot I wanted to explore at about 8:30.... lines in with rappies and nothing... then some mackies on cuta traces, nothing...

After about 1.5 h decided to run to the deep and chase some top water species... 6 rods and 4 teasers and nothing....
2 halfbeaks on ilander seastars with birds, one daisy chain + strip bait and bird, one halfbeak on iland hood and two pulsator wahoo catchers... not a single bite for 2 hr....

Got to the deep and changed to bigger guns (bonito smoker, boaster, ilander express, super chugger, etc).... nothing...

Water was 24.4o C and turquoise blue! Perfect conditions! Went through a shoal of bonnies and put some small feathers on my popping stick! On with a small skipjack (about 2 kg). Perfect for my circle hook! The poor thing spent 3 hr in the water and not a single bite!!!!

At 3 pm the wind picked up and we decided to call it a day!

Quite a few lessons learned and now I've tested all systems on MAXIMVS (outriggers, teasers, etc.)... time to get some fish!!!!!

PS: Yellow King got 2 small YFT (~2.5 Kg)   
Acecraft 660 DV
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

Offline John F

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 6563
  • Cred: 522
  • Gender: Male
  • Virtus et Honos
  • Location: Maputo - Mozambique
Re: MPT Bay offshore - What's up
« Reply #253 on: November 16, 2012, 05:22:43 PM »
Fifth leg of Clube Maritimo's Championship tomorrow... Team MAXIMVS will not take part of this one... I know peterblace will be fishing aboard Oba Oba.... :tite brother!
Acecraft 660 DV
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

Offline Manuel Junior

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 579
  • Cred: 35
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Maputo,Mozambique
Re: MPT Bay offshore - What's up
« Reply #254 on: November 17, 2012, 11:03:52 AM »
 :tite :tite  peterblace!
 :sreel: :sreel:

Offline John F

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 6563
  • Cred: 522
  • Gender: Male
  • Virtus et Honos
  • Location: Maputo - Mozambique
Re: MPT Bay offshore - What's up
« Reply #255 on: November 17, 2012, 02:14:22 PM »
Got word from peter on the radio... at least 4 boats released bills (one had 2 marlin) already...they got couta and YFT...
Acecraft 660 DV
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

Offline Shaun17

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1614
  • Cred: 262
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
Re: MPT Bay offshore - What's up
« Reply #256 on: November 17, 2012, 02:16:42 PM »
Awesome stuff  :envy

Offline peterblace

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1151
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Mozambique - Maputo
Re: MPT Bay offshore - What's up
« Reply #257 on: November 19, 2012, 12:00:03 PM »
we (Oba Oba) launched at 5:00 on a very calm sea conditions with nearly no wind
tournament director anounced the start at 5:30 and off we went for the deep...
maybe due to tournament top positions are already (I would say 99% accurate) decided there were only about 10 boats in total

we went north to nowhere land...and nowhere land was quite active with birds and fish at the surface
we got there by 7:30 and before we even had a strike Number 1 had already released 1 marlin and 1 saily...all before 8:10
we had 5 rappies in the water and by 8:30 we had our first strike...on the Tiagra 80 aka THE WINCH...
I cleared the lines while Fabrizio winched the fish...he had some doubts if he still had the fish on...it's very hard to know that when you have a big gun like that on a small fish...but in the end we landed a 8kg couta
a few moments after we were on again...and same story...I cleared the lines...Fabrizio fought and a 7kg YFT was landed

all setup again and a few moments later just after crossing some surface activity we were on again...and the same story..but when fish was getting closer to the boat and I was ready to gaff him...I though we had a shark on...
opps....what's next??...I grabbed a glove and let the gaff go...when I realized I was wrong and we had a prodigol son on...I was back to the gaff...and fish weighted 7kg

again...all setup...and another strike...on the winch...don't need to mention that I cleared the lines and Fabrizio fought the fish...and winched another YFT...6.8kg

everytime we were on (and specialy on the winch) I would pass the opportunity to Fabrizio...and Fabrizio was questioning why I wouldn't fight as well...I said...I'm clearing the lines Fabrizio...you fight the fish!!!
hehehe

out of the blue (in the deep blue) while I was looking at the lines we had a sailie resting at the surface right next to the boat...we turned to try and pass with the lines on his area but we had no luck

this was the moment to swap from rappies to konas

we headed to deeper areas and we had our first strike on konas...but fish didn't commit
a few moments after we had our second srike and I grabbed the rod...but again fish didn't commit (also, I think, skipper cut the engines imediatelly so we had lack lines)
all set up...heading to the deep we had another strike and I was on...and landed a 7.8kg YFT
that was our last strike
we kept working deeper areas and by 13:00 we started heading home as we sense a bit of wind coming
forecast was to have 27knt gust of southern wind at 17:00...starting to pick up by 15:00...but at 13:00 there was quite a bit of wind and not expected
it was a bumpy ride but we got home safe by 14:30

while we were washing the boat we heard Cafufo was in big trouble with both his engines stoped and no one able to reach him on the radio channels neither mobile
by 16:00 he comunicated that managed to get his engines back to work and headed slowly to Maputo
for those who don't know we (maputians) had a big problem with contaminated fuel 3 weeks ago...some boat engines got damaged and malfunction...some cars (modern mainly) got damaged and malfunction...so everyone is quite worried about going out to the blue...and always consulting what's the best place to put petrol
authorities requested all the petrol stations to clean the petrol tanks

also saw Fisherman Tales (lee cat 900 on twin 300 merc) arriving on 1 engine...Manuel (mechanic) was aboard and said that they had some electronic malfuntions that couldn't be reseted from his computer

Number 1 got 2 marlin and 1 saily + 14kg YFT
Nakisai got 2 marlin + 2 YFT
Dan Dan got 1 marlin + 2 YFT
Mon Ami got 1 marlin

the rest of the fleet got some YFT (avg 6kg), some small dorado (avg 4kg)...and Four Play got a 29.9kg wahoo...but quite a few boats blanked
Karoshama while jigging at 90mts depht got a ?snapper? (ladrão)...and snapper was swolen by a 38kg bass that surfaced already dead

last leg of the tournament is in 2 weeks time on the 1stDecember

Offline peterblace

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1151
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Mozambique - Maputo
Re: MPT Bay offshore - What's up
« Reply #258 on: November 19, 2012, 12:17:01 PM »
ah...forgot to mention that yesterday I went to start my engines (something I do weekly) and one of the engines didn't start
I turn the key on...it kicks but it doesn't start

Manuel (yamaha mechanic) is going today to have a look and hopefully it's not a major problem
but I'm worried and untill I have a report that all is ok I won't sleep

Offline Prego

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2880
  • Cred: 167
  • Gender: Male
  • Because I said so
  • Location: Glenvista, Johannesburg
Re: MPT Bay offshore - What's up
« Reply #259 on: November 19, 2012, 01:15:34 PM »
Nice one brother, please tell me what you are doing pulling Rappies with a 130W??  :crzy

I am sure its nothing serious with your engine.

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal