Author Topic: Off to the Cape  (Read 5691 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Off to the Cape
« on: December 15, 2010, 08:27:27 PM »
Well folks, we're off to the Cape on Friday ( 17th) for 5 days. :crzy Fishing is booked on the streams for the 20th, :happ: plus whatever else my buddies down there can cook up. :dunno:
I believe the forcast is very hot weather there this weekend. :shk
Hope Rols has stocked up on the Windhoek Draught. w;k
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Off to the Cape
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 07:52:42 AM »
 :tite and safe travels Herman!

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Off to the Cape
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 09:28:32 AM »
Nice one Herman, we want to see plenty of pics!

Offline schloshd1

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 278
  • Cred: 31
  • Location: Kelvin, Jozi
Re: Off to the Cape
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 09:48:24 AM »
Nice one Herman, leave the Elbe and the Bomber at home, you wont need them for those Tinkerbell trout. Enjoy it.
I'm a weekend drinker, I start on Saturday and end on Friday - Bill Hicks

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Off to the Cape
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 02:33:31 PM »
Well the Cape trip has come and gone. What a great 5 days though. Seeing Jasper and Ethel again, and seeing Jasper nearly back to his "old" self was really good.

I fished the Hotel beat with Rols on Monday past. There was a strong upstream wind blowing, which although helped to temper the heat a bit, made managing drag and the fly really difficult. My fly seemed to spend more time in the air out in front of me, than gently drifting down the stream. :dunno:

Rols missed a few takes then hooked a nice fish ( I presume ) which ran him down a small waterfall and broke him off. :sadd

I misseda swirl at the fly and so the morning went. Rols then allowed me to fish a good looking spot. Third drift and a fish just smashed the fly. I managed to keep the fish in the water, and after a short fight bring it to the net.  :happ: My first Cape stream trout.  :clwn

Needless to say I had all of a sudden just wanted to celebrate, so very shortly thereafter it was off to the Hotel. :hehe: :hehe:

Thanks To Rols for a great morning out.
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Off to the Cape
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 02:50:33 PM »
Awesome! Well done on the trout Herman!  (clap) (clap)

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Re: Off to the Cape
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 04:18:43 PM »
Nice report Herman.

Congrats on the 1st trout in the Cape Streams...  :resp:

Offline Ziggy

  • Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1672
  • Cred: 182
  • Gender: Male
  • Teeth that bite!
  • Location: Durban
Re: Off to the Cape
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 06:29:02 PM »
I wish I was there! My favourite is some of the upper reaches of the Elandspad....tough to get to, but quite rewarding when you get there. The cape streams present challenging fishing and produce small fish, but a pleasure to wade. I found that fishing upstream with a tiny nymph  a lot of fun - no more than a leader just over the length of a rod and one and a half lenght of flyline out - crouching and dropping the nymphs in the tiny pools in amongst the rocks. Amazing how many fish there are - small but plenty! I always look forward to my trips down there. I sometimes feel that my 2 wt is a bit heavy for the elands pad - my buddy who fishes there regularly uses a  0 wt which he calls his "magic wand" and has amazing fun

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Off to the Cape
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2010, 08:37:49 PM »
Thanks guys.  :sml:

I must say that fishing with a 6' 6" , 2 # rod and 6X tippet was some thing VERY NEW.

I fish the Vaal with a 5# Stealth Bomber and 5,0 Kg tippet.  :clwn

Strangely enough, my 5kg line is un noticably thickerthan 6X fluorocarbon  :dunno:

Methinks most f/f should look in the Carp section of their tackle shops. :clwn
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline schloshd1

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 278
  • Cred: 31
  • Location: Kelvin, Jozi
Re: Off to the Cape
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2010, 11:40:26 AM »
Nice one Herman, looks like you had a great time! Ja, the carp section, those Daichiis . . .
I'm a weekend drinker, I start on Saturday and end on Friday - Bill Hicks

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal