Welcome,
Guest
. Please
login
or
register
.
Did you miss your
activation email
?
1 Hour
1 Day
1 Week
1 Month
Forever
Login with username, password and session length
Home
Recent Topics
Forum
Login
Register
ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website
»
FRESHWATER ANGLING
»
Fly fishing
»
Off to the Cape
« previous
next »
Print
Pages: [
1
]
Go Down
Author
Topic: Off to the Cape (Read 5692 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Herman Jooste
Senior Member
Posts: 682
Cred: 58
Gender:
Location: Vanderbijlpark
Off to the Cape
«
on:
December 15, 2010, 08:27:27 PM »
Well folks, we're off to the Cape on Friday ( 17th) for 5 days.
Fishing is booked on the streams for the 20th,
plus whatever else my buddies down there can cook up.
I believe the forcast is very hot weather there this weekend.
Hope Rols has stocked up on the Windhoek Draught.
Logged
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".
REEFMAN
Ultimate Champ
Posts: 9766
Cred: 768
Gender:
Location: Jozi
Re: Off to the Cape
«
Reply #1 on:
December 16, 2010, 07:52:42 AM »
and safe travels Herman!
Logged
Rory
Ultimate member
Posts: 1270
Cred: 175
Gender:
Re: Off to the Cape
«
Reply #2 on:
December 17, 2010, 09:28:32 AM »
Nice one Herman, we want to see plenty of pics!
Logged
schloshd1
Member
Posts: 278
Cred: 31
Location: Kelvin, Jozi
Re: Off to the Cape
«
Reply #3 on:
December 17, 2010, 09:48:24 AM »
Nice one Herman, leave the Elbe and the Bomber at home, you wont need them for those Tinkerbell trout. Enjoy it.
Logged
I'm a weekend drinker, I start on Saturday and end on Friday - Bill Hicks
Herman Jooste
Senior Member
Posts: 682
Cred: 58
Gender:
Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Off to the Cape
«
Reply #4 on:
December 23, 2010, 02:33:31 PM »
Well the Cape trip has come and gone. What a great 5 days though. Seeing Jasper and Ethel again, and seeing Jasper nearly back to his "old" self was really good.
I fished the Hotel beat with Rols on Monday past. There was a strong upstream wind blowing, which although helped to temper the heat a bit, made managing drag and the fly really difficult. My fly seemed to spend more time in the air out in front of me, than gently drifting down the stream.
Rols missed a few takes then hooked a nice fish ( I presume ) which ran him down a small waterfall and broke him off. :sadd
I misseda swirl at the fly and so the morning went. Rols then allowed me to fish a good looking spot. Third drift and a fish just smashed the fly. I managed to keep the fish in the water, and after a short fight bring it to the net.
My first Cape stream trout.
Needless to say I had all of a sudden just wanted to celebrate, so very shortly thereafter it was off to the Hotel.
Thanks To Rols for a great morning out.
Logged
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".
REEFMAN
Ultimate Champ
Posts: 9766
Cred: 768
Gender:
Location: Jozi
Re: Off to the Cape
«
Reply #5 on:
December 23, 2010, 02:50:33 PM »
Awesome! Well done on the trout Herman!
Logged
Gerhard
Ultimate member
Posts: 904
Cred: 75
Gender:
Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Re: Off to the Cape
«
Reply #6 on:
December 23, 2010, 04:18:43 PM »
Nice report Herman.
Congrats on the 1st trout in the Cape Streams...
Logged
Ziggy
Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
Ultimate Champ
Posts: 1672
Cred: 182
Gender:
Teeth that bite!
Location: Durban
Re: Off to the Cape
«
Reply #7 on:
December 23, 2010, 06:29:02 PM »
I wish I was there! My favourite is some of the upper reaches of the Elandspad....tough to get to, but quite rewarding when you get there. The cape streams present challenging fishing and produce small fish, but a pleasure to wade. I found that fishing upstream with a tiny nymph a lot of fun - no more than a leader just over the length of a rod and one and a half lenght of flyline out - crouching and dropping the nymphs in the tiny pools in amongst the rocks. Amazing how many fish there are - small but plenty! I always look forward to my trips down there. I sometimes feel that my 2 wt is a bit heavy for the elands pad - my buddy who fishes there regularly uses a 0 wt which he calls his "magic wand" and has amazing fun
Logged
Herman Jooste
Senior Member
Posts: 682
Cred: 58
Gender:
Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Off to the Cape
«
Reply #8 on:
December 24, 2010, 08:37:49 PM »
Thanks guys. :sml:
I must say that fishing with a 6' 6" , 2 # rod and 6X tippet was some thing VERY NEW.
I fish the Vaal with a 5# Stealth Bomber and 5,0 Kg tippet.
Strangely enough, my 5kg line is un noticably thickerthan 6X fluorocarbon
Methinks most f/f should look in the Carp section of their tackle shops.
Logged
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".
schloshd1
Member
Posts: 278
Cred: 31
Location: Kelvin, Jozi
Re: Off to the Cape
«
Reply #9 on:
December 28, 2010, 11:40:26 AM »
Nice one Herman, looks like you had a great time! Ja, the carp section, those Daichiis . . .
Logged
I'm a weekend drinker, I start on Saturday and end on Friday - Bill Hicks
Print
Pages: [
1
]
Go Up
« previous
next »
ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website
»
FRESHWATER ANGLING
»
Fly fishing
»
Off to the Cape
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal