Author Topic: Leaders for spinning setup  (Read 5367 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Gordon

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 15
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban
Leaders for spinning setup
« on: January 25, 2019, 09:51:31 AM »
Good Morning Fellow Fisherman


I need some advice on leaders for my spinning set up as. I am using a Suzuki Special Rod (hand built by our legend himself Brandon) paired with a Shimano Stradic filled with 20lb Seaguar braid.
I normally have a 1.5m long mono 50lb leader joined with FG Knot.


Recently I was told to change this leader setup to add a 4m piece of 50lb braid casting leader joined with a FG knot and then add the 1.5m long 50lb mono leader.


The problem with this is the size of the FG knot on the casting leader which tends to snag on the micro eyes during casting? I have tried using the "Slim Beauty" and "Albright" knot with little improvement. I am still not satisfied with the results.


I would really appreciate any advice please. :dunno:
life's a journey, enjoy the ride.

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Leaders for spinning setup
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2019, 10:38:43 AM »
This thread deals with Braid leaders in detail...

https://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=15598.0

Offline Gordon

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 15
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban
Re: Leaders for spinning setup
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2019, 10:54:03 AM »
  :tkx: Reefman, much appreciated.
life's a journey, enjoy the ride.

Offline FishStyx

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3007
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • I fish, therefore I am.
  • Location: Louist Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: Leaders for spinning setup
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2019, 11:58:25 AM »
How are you finding the Suzuki... have you managed any appreciable catches yet? I managed to pick one up for an absolute steal but have yet to fish it. It feels absolutely fantastic in the hand and I really can't wait to go put it to the test. Such a light and crisp rod.
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline fishatic

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 500
  • Cred: 14
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Randpark Ridge, Johannesburg
Re: Leaders for spinning setup
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2019, 12:46:48 AM »
Gordon,
Seaguar Smackdown 20lb should equate to PE2
What specific brand of 50lb braid are you using for the leader?

Albright: no, no, no.

Slim beauty - I'll give a you a call and I talk you through a good variation
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 12:47:21 AM by fishatic »

Offline FishStyx

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3007
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • I fish, therefore I am.
  • Location: Louist Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: Leaders for spinning setup
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2019, 07:49:41 AM »

Slim beauty - I'll give a you a call and I talk you through a good variation


We want a video bud  :-)
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline BJR

  • Ben
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 438
  • Cred: 13
  • Gender: Male
  • When Fishing , SIZE does not matter !!
  • Location: MELMOTH - Zululand, KZN - SA
Re: Leaders for spinning setup
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2019, 01:19:24 AM »
Pse also give us your views on the Suzuki rod.
Thks

Offline fishatic

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 500
  • Cred: 14
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Randpark Ridge, Johannesburg
Re: Leaders for spinning setup
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2019, 06:28:34 AM »

Slim beauty - I'll give a you a call and I talk you through a good variation


We want a video bud  :-)
OK, I'll give it a bash..I'm very inexperienced at making videos :blush: .


Offline fishatic

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 500
  • Cred: 14
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Randpark Ridge, Johannesburg
Re: Leaders for spinning setup
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2019, 07:18:56 AM »
Pse also give us your views on the Suzuki rod.
Thks

There are two Suzuki Specials from Black Hole and despite sharing a name are quite different.

1002: amazingly light. It is NOT 10' long. 1002 is a misnomer, it is 3m long exactly which is 9'10".
Last one I built I remembered to actually weigh; came in at 185g.
It will throw 1/2-2oz easy-peasy. It will throw heavier, but don't.
If you are after a physically light rod for buck tails, soft plastics and hard body minnows, its awesome.
I have personally thrown 1/4oz jig heads and the tip was sensitive enough to actually feel what was going on at the lure end.
This sensitivity makes it a winner for Shore Slow Jigging. Very capable of taming fish, the larger of the two shad shown caught be a client was 75 or 77cm.
The YT was taken by the same client down in the Cape.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 07:38:48 AM by fishatic »

Offline fishatic

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 500
  • Cred: 14
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Randpark Ridge, Johannesburg
Re: Leaders for spinning setup
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2019, 07:22:05 AM »
9602: 9'6" 1-3oz, remarkably powerful, will genuinely throw its weight   range.

I built 5 for a client (1 for him and 1 each for 4 of his  mates).
9'6' might be considered a little long for boat work by some, but  the photos suggest otherwise in that they were used as  flick sticks at St Lazerus. He caught the Sailfish casting a 3oz bucktail, Stella 5k with 6k spool.
Some of the same group did a trip to  Angola with the 962's as their light sticks and ended up using them just about all the time.
The 962 is quite a bit more powerful than the 1002 and is LESS suitable for Shore Slow jigging, should that be something   you are wanting to try.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 11:28:22 AM by fishatic »

Offline FishStyx

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3007
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • I fish, therefore I am.
  • Location: Louist Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: Leaders for spinning setup
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2019, 08:55:29 AM »
I saw those pics on 360... Kil posted them. Man, that's impressive. I got my 962 from Haakies. It's a Mark Norval build. Torzite guides, super light and I cannot wait to put a bend in it. I'm not worried about the length in terms of boat fishing. Only 6" longer than what I'm used to.
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline Gordon

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 15
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban
Re: Leaders for spinning setup
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2019, 08:32:38 AM »
How are you finding the Suzuki... have you managed any appreciable catches yet? I managed to pick one up for an absolute steal but have yet to fish it. It feels absolutely fantastic in the hand and I really can't wait to go put it to the test. Such a light and crisp rod.


Hi FishStyx


This rod is what dreams are made off. Feather light, quick to respond without sacrificing distance. I have fished this rod using buck tails as light as 1 oz, 1 1/2 plastic and even 1 oz lures with no problems with distance. The secret is trying to find the appropriate reel to match and in my case the Stradic seems to have completed this outfit. I find that the 30 & 40 grams Jigpara lures work best with this outfit.


This rod was built by the legend himself ...Brandon McQueen. He has obviously put his heart and soul into this build. I have caught big blue shad off the "Transkei" coast with ease. I have successfully landed a monster rock salmon with no signs of a struggle. 
life's a journey, enjoy the ride.

Offline Gordon

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 15
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban
Re: Leaders for spinning setup
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2019, 08:42:17 AM »
Gordon,
Seaguar Smackdown 20lb should equate to PE2
What specific brand of 50lb braid are you using for the leader?

Albright: no, no, no.

Slim beauty - I'll give a you a call and I talk you through a good variation


Hi Brandon


Thank you for making the effort to phone me. I greatly appreciate it.


The Seaguar braid that I am using is a PE2
The 50lb braid is a Grinder braid 8x PE 4


Thank you for your efforts.


This is what make this forum the best  :uarocks
life's a journey, enjoy the ride.

Offline Steenie

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 748
  • Cred: 31
  • Gender: Male
  • Durban-based shore spinnerman
  • Location: Queensburgh, KZN
Re: Leaders for spinning setup
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2019, 10:49:28 PM »
On 20 lb braid I experienced similar problems with 50 lb (PE 4) braid casting leaders. A 35 lb (PE2.5) braid leader works way better for me on PE1.5 (20 lb) casting braid. Your 20 lb braid in PE2 is quite odd I must say. Would still try a PE2.5 braid leader with it. Casting style can further help to minimize problems. In my case, direct overhead (lob) style casting definitely aggravated the guide wrap/line tangle problem. Slightly sideways casting definitely reduced the occurrence of these problems for me.


Offline fishatic

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 500
  • Cred: 14
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Randpark Ridge, Johannesburg
Re: Leaders for spinning setup
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2019, 06:54:34 AM »
 
My own set up is PE2.5 to PE4 and I have zero issues.

From Gordon's description on the phone it sounds like his leader is wrapping around the main line ie bunching up, could be due to too much tension of the main line when wrapping.
 Each brand of braid behaves differently, often dependent on the type of coating or lack thereof.
Grinder braid has quite a heavy coating that can hinder the wraps of main line tightening up. 
Not sure about the Seaguar Smackdown's coating.
I will attempt a video this week.

Offline Steenie

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 748
  • Cred: 31
  • Gender: Male
  • Durban-based shore spinnerman
  • Location: Queensburgh, KZN
Re: Leaders for spinning setup
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2019, 07:24:34 AM »

My own set up is PE2.5 to PE4 and I have zero issues.

From Gordon's description on the phone it sounds like his leader is wrapping around the main line ie bunching up, could be due to too much tension of the main line when wrapping.
 Each brand of braid behaves differently, often dependent on the type of coating or lack thereof.
Grinder braid has quite a heavy coating that can hinder the wraps of main line tightening up. 
Not sure about the Seaguar Smackdown's coating.
I will attempt a video this week.

I agree, PE 2.5 to PE4 will not cause issues.

Offline Steenie

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 748
  • Cred: 31
  • Gender: Male
  • Durban-based shore spinnerman
  • Location: Queensburgh, KZN
Re: Leaders for spinning setup
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2019, 07:26:04 AM »
Pse also give us your views on the Suzuki rod.
Thks

There are two Suzuki Specials from Black Hole and despite sharing a name are quite different.

1002: amazingly light. It is NOT 10' long. 1002 is a misnomer, it is 3m long exactly which is 9'10".
Last one I built I remembered to actually weigh; came in at 185g.
It will throw 1/2-2oz easy-peasy. It will throw heavier, but don't.
If you are after a physically light rod for buck tails, soft plastics and hard body minnows, its awesome.
I have personally thrown 1/4oz jig heads and the tip was sensitive enough to actually feel what was going on at the lure end.
This sensitivity makes it a winner for Shore Slow Jigging. Very capable of taming fish, the larger of the two shad shown caught be a client was 75 or 77cm.
The YT was taken by the same client down in the Cape.

I was with Rolfe for a spinning session the previous day and felt that rod and saw him cast it. Brilliant rod for sure.

Offline Gordon

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 15
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban
Re: Leaders for spinning setup
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2019, 08:16:29 AM »
Thank you Fishatic and Steenie for your input. It is greatly appreciated.
life's a journey, enjoy the ride.

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal