Author Topic: Spinning in Mabibi  (Read 6913 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Nick A-S

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 41
  • Cred: 9
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Joburg
Spinning in Mabibi
« on: August 15, 2017, 04:58:19 PM »
I had a great few days at Mabibi last week, including a day at nearby Black Rock. The North Easterly was blowing which made flyfishing a challenge into the Black Rock bay so was throwing small spoons with my light 8'6"", 2,500 reel setup. I got stuck into a shoal of wolf herrings (aka silkies) and can honestly say I have never come across such aggressive fish in my life! As soon as my spoon hit the water it would literally be attacked. The fish would just keep coming back and hitting the lure time and again until I either hooked them or I couldn't retrieve any further. This must have continued for almost an hour. They didn't hook easily which was quite surprising, and once hooked often managed to later throw the spoon, but I did still manage to land quite a few. They also have a set of razor sharp teeth that destroyed a few of my spoons! They aren't the heaviest fish in the world, but are strong and powerful swimmers so provided great fun! I know they also make great bait for bigger gamefish, but given that my mates and I just had light rigs with us released them all.

Offline dugong

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1676
  • Cred: 54
  • Location: Durban - Warmwater country!!
Re: Spinning in Mabibi
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 10:02:36 PM »
You often hook them in the head because they attack their prey with two front facing fangs that only protude from the top jaw when the mouth is fully open........they can be terrible pests when fishing for snoek (bat
Just Fish!!!

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Spinning in Mabibi
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 07:04:02 AM »
Nice Nick! Must have been good fun!  (clap)

Offline Nick A-S

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 41
  • Cred: 9
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Joburg
Re: Spinning in Mabibi
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 08:59:08 AM »
You often hook them in the head because they attack their prey with two front facing fangs that only protude from the top jaw when the mouth is fully open........they can be terrible pests when fishing for snoek (bat

@Dugong - it's interesting that you say that and would make sense why I didn't hook as many of the wolf herrings as I would hook say kingies or shad, if I had had that many hits. I was just using smallish iron candy and kingfisher anchovy spoons, with single hooks rather than trebles. With trebles I presume you would get more of those "head hook-ups" that you were talking about?

I am sure if you had a heavier spinning setup, and were targeting snoek, the wolf herrings could be a big pain, but with the light rod I was using to target shad mostly they were great fun to catch so I was very happy! My 9 year old son even got a couple which he loved!

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: Spinning in Mabibi
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 09:24:02 AM »
Really cool, thanks for posting the report and pics  :+ cred:

Offline John F

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 6563
  • Cred: 522
  • Gender: Male
  • Virtus et Honos
  • Location: Maputo - Mozambique
Re: Spinning in Mabibi
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 12:05:58 PM »
I know they also make great bait for bigger gamefish, but given that my mates and I just had light rigs with us released them all.

Blasphemy!!!!! :hehe:

Great stuff, Nick! Thanks for the report! (clap)
Acecraft 660 DV
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

Offline Nick A-S

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 41
  • Cred: 9
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Joburg
Re: Spinning in Mabibi
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 02:08:25 PM »
Below is a pic of an unexpected catch from last week, not at Black Rock, but in the bay at Mabibi. I had caught a few kingies and shad in the bay but was pretty surprised to see this guy come out on a spoon.

Offline Plugger

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 977
  • Cred: 13
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Forest Hills, Durban
Re: Spinning in Mabibi
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2017, 02:22:50 AM »
Nice report Nick A-S. How's the security at Mabibi ? I've only been there once back in the day when we drove up along the beach from Sordies. We couldn't spend too much time there as we had to get back before the tide got too high.I've heard some stories of tackle and gas bottles disappearing and having to chain up your freezers ? Amazing place though. Never thought a wrasse would chase a spoon.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 02:27:07 AM by Plugger »
Education is important but fishing is importanter !

Offline Nick A-S

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 41
  • Cred: 9
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Joburg
Re: Spinning in Mabibi
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2017, 09:34:36 AM »
Nice report Nick A-S. How's the security at Mabibi ? I've only been there once back in the day when we drove up along the beach from Sordies. We couldn't spend too much time there as we had to get back before the tide got too high.I've heard some stories of tackle and gas bottles disappearing and having to chain up your freezers ? Amazing place though. Never thought a wrasse would chase a spoon.

Hi Plugger - a few people had warned us about security, but when we were there there was nothing remotely suspicious, very few "non camping visitors" and we felt very safe. Other friends who were there in April had similar feedback. It is an awesome spot though, so hopefully they have addressed those concerns...

Regarding the wrasse, I have actually caught a few on fly so it wasn't a total surprise to see what was on the end of my line, but certainly not the shad I was expecting to see ;-)

Offline Nick A-S

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 41
  • Cred: 9
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Joburg
Re: Spinning in Mabibi
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2017, 09:39:57 AM »
Further to my earlier comments about those wolf herrings' teeth, I took a couple of pics last night of what they were able to do to a fairly solid lure in the matter of a few casts!

Offline Plugger

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 977
  • Cred: 13
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Forest Hills, Durban
Re: Spinning in Mabibi
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2017, 11:24:41 AM »
Thanks, maybe a trip on the cards. I remember the snorkeling there was great for the kids.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 11:25:06 AM by Plugger »
Education is important but fishing is importanter !

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Spinning in Mabibi
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2017, 11:48:10 AM »
 :shk The bites into those lures are CRAZY!!
Are those Iron Candy's?

Offline Nick A-S

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 41
  • Cred: 9
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Joburg
Re: Spinning in Mabibi
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2017, 01:04:16 PM »
:shk The bites into those lures are CRAZY!!
Are those Iron Candy's?


That lure is a swindler fishstick lure, took a proper hammering! I also used a Kingfisher anchovy spoon which didn't survive much better!

Offline FishStyx

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3007
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • I fish, therefore I am.
  • Location: Louist Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: Spinning in Mabibi
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2017, 04:17:50 PM »
Great report Nick. Thanks for sharing. Yeah, the wolves can become a pain in the A when targeting other species but if that's all that's going at the time, then lots of fun. W.r.t lots of hits- few hookups, Crankers and I had a similar situation with Garfish at Baixo Danae off Inhaca... Sean eventually hooked one or two but there was no shortage of attempts by them on our lures.
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline John F

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 6563
  • Cred: 522
  • Gender: Male
  • Virtus et Honos
  • Location: Maputo - Mozambique
Re: Spinning in Mabibi
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2017, 04:41:37 PM »
Ahahha Martin those infamous croc garfish at Baixo Danae..... Run away from the snakes as fast as you can. They will hit and ruin your most precious and productive lure with a single bite... ask me how I know....
Acecraft 660 DV
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal