Author Topic: Spoons and flies in the surf  (Read 8551 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline philter

  • Phil
  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 109
  • Cred: 3
  • Gender: Male
  • WishIcould
  • Location: Springs Gauteng
Re: Spoons and flies in the surf
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2017, 10:21:06 AM »
Nice catches, thanks for the report, think this is something I'll have to try.   :tkx:

Offline Willie

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2033
  • Cred: 237
  • Gender: Male
  • Ultimate Novice
  • Location: Nelspruit Mpumalanga
Re: Spoons and flies in the surf
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2017, 07:35:26 PM »
Thanks for the info this sounds great!
The worst day fishing is better than the best day at office

Offline bassbug

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 401
  • Cred: 14
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: randburg gauteng
Re: Spoons and flies in the surf
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2017, 08:21:49 PM »
Will it work?
yes, and multiple flies too (just need to adjust your cast for tangle free fishing)

Offline Nick A-S

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 41
  • Cred: 9
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Joburg
Re: Spoons and flies in the surf
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2017, 10:00:19 AM »
I headed back to Sheffield Beach this long weekend and took my flyrod for a few hours of fun. On Sunday morning I had some joy catching moonies and flagtails with small white salty bugger type flies, casting off the rocks into the deeper channel where there was lots of working white water. I suddenly had a take from something that instantly felt a lot more solid. It took the fish a little while to realise it was hooked before it steamed off towards the deep blue sea. I had to try and "palm" my fly reel (like and old school scarborough reel) to slow the fish down before it stripped my reel. After 2 or 3 runs I  started to get control of the fish and get it a bit closer, but I also realised i would not be able to lift it on to the rocks with the light mono leader I had on. I managed to clamber along the rocks to get on to the beach and then landed the fish with a shore break wave. However as I got the fish onto the beach with the wave, the line went slack and the little fly popped out. I dropped my rod and managed to scramble down the sand and grab the fish before the next wave came up. I didn't have a phone or camera with me, but luckily there was a kind lady on the beach who was happy to take a quick snap for me before I released the kingy back into the sea to fight another day. It was a fun morning out and a great surprise when I had been targetting small fish with small flies and a light setup to get a bigger pull out the blue. My flyrod is packed away now but will definitely come out when I hit Vidal in a few weeks time!

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: Spoons and flies in the surf
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2017, 02:28:00 PM »
Well done! What weight rod were you using?

Offline Nick A-S

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 41
  • Cred: 9
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Joburg
Re: Spoons and flies in the surf
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2017, 02:57:01 PM »
I was using an 8 weight rod with a sinking line and and a light mono leader. I use a slightly heavier fluoro tippet to provide a little bit of protection against any toothy critters that may bite. I was trying out a few salty bugger / woolly bugger type flies, tied with a zonker tail and lots of flash, instead of marabou, to try get a bit more action and they seemed to work - mostly on size 8 or 6 hooks. This fish took a plain white version, but pink and green variations also got some success.

Offline Plugger

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 977
  • Cred: 13
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Forest Hills, Durban
Re: Spoons and flies in the surf
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2017, 03:11:19 PM »
Awesome catch Nick, that's what keeps the blood pumping !!
Education is important but fishing is importanter !

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: Spoons and flies in the surf
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2017, 03:30:45 PM »
Thats so cool!

Offline SAfish

  • Angler of the Month - April 2015
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 4238
  • Cred: 137
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Knysna, South Africa
Re: Spoons and flies in the surf
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2017, 03:48:22 PM »
Awesome catch!  :cgrts:

Offline Plugger

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 977
  • Cred: 13
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Forest Hills, Durban
Re: Spoons and flies in the surf
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2017, 06:12:58 PM »
Is it a Blacktip?
Education is important but fishing is importanter !

Offline Nick A-S

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 41
  • Cred: 9
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Joburg
Re: Spoons and flies in the surf
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2017, 09:22:40 PM »
My initial thought was that it was a brassy kingfish, rather than a black tip? When I've caught blacktips before the black has been more distinct. I just had the one quick pic taken so that I could get the fish back into the water, and the fish was quite sandy so not that easy to see it closely. Happy to be corrected though if anyone can confirm???

Offline Plugger

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 977
  • Cred: 13
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Forest Hills, Durban
Re: Spoons and flies in the surf
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2017, 03:45:15 AM »
No I think that you are correct.
Education is important but fishing is importanter !

Offline colin

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 752
  • Cred: 13
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Kelland , Randburg
Re: Spoons and flies in the surf
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2017, 06:24:27 AM »
 :cgrts: Great catch  :toppie:
My wife allows me to keep all the fishing tackle I can hide.

Offline VISCHAL

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 51
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban
Re: Spoons and flies in the surf
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2017, 02:44:48 PM »
Awesome catches, well done.

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal