Welcome,
Guest
. Please
login
or
register
.
Did you miss your
activation email
?
1 Hour
1 Day
1 Week
1 Month
Forever
Login with username, password and session length
Home
Recent Topics
Forum
Login
Register
ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website
»
General Angling Topics
»
Saltwater Lure Angling
»
Spoons and flies in the surf
« previous
next »
Print
Pages:
1
[
2
]
Go Down
Author
Topic: Spoons and flies in the surf (Read 8550 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
philter
Phil
Senior Member
Posts: 109
Cred: 3
Gender:
WishIcould
Location: Springs Gauteng
Re: Spoons and flies in the surf
«
Reply #20 on:
January 12, 2017, 10:21:06 AM »
Nice catches, thanks for the report, think this is something I'll have to try.
Logged
Willie
Ultimate Champ
Posts: 2033
Cred: 237
Gender:
Ultimate Novice
Location: Nelspruit Mpumalanga
Re: Spoons and flies in the surf
«
Reply #21 on:
January 12, 2017, 07:35:26 PM »
Thanks for the info this sounds great!
Logged
The worst day fishing is better than the best day at office
bassbug
Ultimate member
Posts: 401
Cred: 14
Gender:
Location: randburg gauteng
Re: Spoons and flies in the surf
«
Reply #22 on:
January 12, 2017, 08:21:49 PM »
Quote from: SAfish on January 12, 2017, 09:43:06 AM
Will it work?
yes, and multiple flies too (just need to adjust your cast for tangle free fishing)
Logged
Nick A-S
Member
Posts: 41
Cred: 9
Gender:
Location: Joburg
Re: Spoons and flies in the surf
«
Reply #23 on:
March 22, 2017, 10:00:19 AM »
I headed back to Sheffield Beach this long weekend and took my flyrod for a few hours of fun. On Sunday morning I had some joy catching moonies and flagtails with small white salty bugger type flies, casting off the rocks into the deeper channel where there was lots of working white water. I suddenly had a take from something that instantly felt a lot more solid. It took the fish a little while to realise it was hooked before it steamed off towards the deep blue sea. I had to try and "palm" my fly reel (like and old school scarborough reel) to slow the fish down before it stripped my reel. After 2 or 3 runs I started to get control of the fish and get it a bit closer, but I also realised i would not be able to lift it on to the rocks with the light mono leader I had on. I managed to clamber along the rocks to get on to the beach and then landed the fish with a shore break wave. However as I got the fish onto the beach with the wave, the line went slack and the little fly popped out. I dropped my rod and managed to scramble down the sand and grab the fish before the next wave came up. I didn't have a phone or camera with me, but luckily there was a kind lady on the beach who was happy to take a quick snap for me before I released the kingy back into the sea to fight another day. It was a fun morning out and a great surprise when I had been targetting small fish with small flies and a light setup to get a bigger pull out the blue. My flyrod is packed away now but will definitely come out when I hit Vidal in a few weeks time!
Logged
WalkersKiller
Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
Ultimate Champ
Posts: 7417
Cred: 366
Gender:
Conservation First!
Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: Spoons and flies in the surf
«
Reply #24 on:
March 22, 2017, 02:28:00 PM »
Well done! What weight rod were you using?
Logged
Nick A-S
Member
Posts: 41
Cred: 9
Gender:
Location: Joburg
Re: Spoons and flies in the surf
«
Reply #25 on:
March 22, 2017, 02:57:01 PM »
I was using an 8 weight rod with a sinking line and and a light mono leader. I use a slightly heavier fluoro tippet to provide a little bit of protection against any toothy critters that may bite. I was trying out a few salty bugger / woolly bugger type flies, tied with a zonker tail and lots of flash, instead of marabou, to try get a bit more action and they seemed to work - mostly on size 8 or 6 hooks. This fish took a plain white version, but pink and green variations also got some success.
Logged
Plugger
Ultimate member
Posts: 977
Cred: 13
Gender:
Location: Forest Hills, Durban
Re: Spoons and flies in the surf
«
Reply #26 on:
March 22, 2017, 03:11:19 PM »
Awesome catch Nick, that's what keeps the blood pumping !!
Logged
Education is important but fishing is importanter !
WalkersKiller
Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
Ultimate Champ
Posts: 7417
Cred: 366
Gender:
Conservation First!
Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: Spoons and flies in the surf
«
Reply #27 on:
March 22, 2017, 03:30:45 PM »
Thats so cool!
Logged
SAfish
Angler of the Month - April 2015
Ultimate Champ
Posts: 4238
Cred: 137
Gender:
Location: Knysna, South Africa
Re: Spoons and flies in the surf
«
Reply #28 on:
March 22, 2017, 03:48:22 PM »
Awesome catch!
Logged
Plugger
Ultimate member
Posts: 977
Cred: 13
Gender:
Location: Forest Hills, Durban
Re: Spoons and flies in the surf
«
Reply #29 on:
March 22, 2017, 06:12:58 PM »
Is it a Blacktip?
Logged
Education is important but fishing is importanter !
Nick A-S
Member
Posts: 41
Cred: 9
Gender:
Location: Joburg
Re: Spoons and flies in the surf
«
Reply #30 on:
March 22, 2017, 09:22:40 PM »
My initial thought was that it was a brassy kingfish, rather than a black tip? When I've caught blacktips before the black has been more distinct. I just had the one quick pic taken so that I could get the fish back into the water, and the fish was quite sandy so not that easy to see it closely. Happy to be corrected though if anyone can confirm???
Logged
Plugger
Ultimate member
Posts: 977
Cred: 13
Gender:
Location: Forest Hills, Durban
Re: Spoons and flies in the surf
«
Reply #31 on:
March 23, 2017, 03:45:15 AM »
No I think that you are correct.
Logged
Education is important but fishing is importanter !
colin
Ultimate Champ
Posts: 752
Cred: 13
Gender:
Location: Kelland , Randburg
Re: Spoons and flies in the surf
«
Reply #32 on:
March 24, 2017, 06:24:27 AM »
Great catch
Logged
My wife allows me to keep all the fishing tackle I can hide.
VISCHAL
Senior Member
Posts: 51
Cred: 0
Gender:
Location: Durban
Re: Spoons and flies in the surf
«
Reply #33 on:
March 28, 2017, 02:44:48 PM »
Awesome catches, well done.
Logged
Print
Pages:
1
[
2
]
Go Up
« previous
next »
ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website
»
General Angling Topics
»
Saltwater Lure Angling
»
Spoons and flies in the surf
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal