Author Topic: 3 must have lures  (Read 6113 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline kevf

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 677
  • Cred: 19
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: underberg,kzn
3 must have lures
« on: March 08, 2015, 05:50:11 PM »
Off to umgazana early Friday morning for the weekend, taking a fishing ski and want to have a good go in the estuary! What 3 lures should I definitely have in my box, I've got mainly strike pros bought in our local bass shop! Plan on trawling a bit and having a few throws at any good looking spots I see
its cruiser country

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: 3 must have lures
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 05:58:06 PM »
Halco Twisty Spoon  :hnthnt: :hnthnt:

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: 3 must have lures
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 06:31:30 PM »
Olive/white Bucktail jig; Purple Onda onde; small Needle nose GT ice cream just read you're fishing Transkei... change that to a Mirrolure...

Offline kevf

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 677
  • Cred: 19
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: underberg,kzn
Re: 3 must have lures
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 06:44:36 PM »
thanks guys
its cruiser country

Offline smiley6996

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 88
  • Cred: 2
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: pe
Re: 3 must have lures
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 10:01:42 PM »
Don't for get your zombie lure in case you see some grunts

Offline Bwana

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 916
  • Cred: 206
  • Gender: Male
  • Deep Blue Addict
  • Location: Shelly Beach, KZN
Re: 3 must have lures
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 12:58:39 PM »
Make sure you have the Strike Pro Tai Stick in pearl white (kingies and leeries) and the gold and orange (rock salmon smash that thing)!


 I agree with Reefz about the olive / white bucktail it catches all sorts in the 1/2oz size

Offline Half-Pint

  • CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3712
  • Cred: 223
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Boksburg
Re: 3 must have lures
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 02:02:17 PM »
Bucktail, some sort of slow retrieve topwater lure, halco sorcerer65 in jelly prawn colour. You can fish it like a normal crank bait or remove the lip and twitch slowly as a top water lure

Offline kevf

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 677
  • Cred: 19
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: underberg,kzn
Re: 3 must have lures
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2015, 03:26:33 PM »
also have a few ondas, thai sticks and bucktails. planning on being on the water by 5 each morning and with the pushing tide hopefully the fish oblige. also got some live mullet lined up with the gillie. come on Friday!!
its cruiser country

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: 3 must have lures
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2015, 04:41:25 PM »
 :envy Give it horns Kev...   :tite

Offline jball7204

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 274
  • Cred: 38
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban North, KZN
Re: 3 must have lures
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2015, 07:06:46 PM »
http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=17498.0

Check this post from last year. Still been catching on the same ones....
"Angling is extremely time consuming. That's sort of the whole point." - Thomas McGuane

Offline Sudden Comfort

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 7
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Hilton KZN
Re: 3 must have lures
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2015, 07:15:26 PM »
I was there last week, White Paddle Tail worked. You can get prawns from the locals for Grunter too and even Squid worked for Perch too. Lovely spot, have fun and go slow it's shallow if you have a boat.

Offline kevf

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 677
  • Cred: 19
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: underberg,kzn
Re: 3 must have lures
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2015, 08:16:02 PM »
Thanks Jball that's great! Where's the report Sudden Comfort, hope you got some fish
its cruiser country

Offline jball7204

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 274
  • Cred: 38
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban North, KZN
Re: 3 must have lures
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2015, 09:38:15 AM »
Any luck?
"Angling is extremely time consuming. That's sort of the whole point." - Thomas McGuane

Offline kevf

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 677
  • Cred: 19
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: underberg,kzn
its cruiser country

Offline jball7204

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 274
  • Cred: 38
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban North, KZN
Re: 3 must have lures
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2015, 01:23:26 PM »
 (clap) (clap)
"Angling is extremely time consuming. That's sort of the whole point." - Thomas McGuane

Offline Sudden Comfort

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 7
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Hilton KZN
Re: 3 must have lures
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2015, 04:55:26 PM »
I didn't get much hence not much of a story to tell. I aimed at fishing the Umzimvubu on a little boat I recently bought. Stayed in Port St Johns. The river was chocolate brown though but I tried and tried and tried from the Sunday to the Thursday and all I caught was a MASSIVE crab in the mouth. I also saw some huge Turtles in the mouth area which I thought was strange, and I mean HUGE.
It was only on the Friday after a local guy suggested Umgazana that we went there. What a lovely spot. Shallow but much better water and we soon found a few holes to dip our lines in. I picked up a River Gurnard with the White Paddle tail, gave me a nice fight on the light tackle. We caught a few smaller sized Grunter on Swimming Prawn and on Squid, and also a few Perch on the same bait. I think one came out on Sard aswell.
I really want to go back there as I believe there to be good sized Cob in that river.
The next day we hit Poenskop early and landed a Cob each. Again no record breakers, fairly small. One on Sard and mine again on Paddle Tail, nice hit and run fight. Going back to the Umzimvubu in July....must get those big Grunters...
I think Paddle Tails are brilliant, the movement i the water is amazing.
Last weekend I went to Umzumbe....what a disaster. I Fished Umzumbe Rocks and Pumula...I plugged, paddle tailed, popped, spun and baited Fri/Sat and Sun and caught nothing. I was sent a pic on Tuesday of a guy who caught a 8kg Springer at the exact same spot at Pumula where I was.... :toppie:
and heard that a big King Fish came out on Wednesday at Umzumbe  :dunno: ....
Hope I'll have more luck next time  <:


Offline Lenny

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2529
  • Cred: 124
  • Gender: Male
  • Catch and Release
  • Location: Struisbaai
Re: 3 must have lures
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2015, 06:19:32 PM »
Zaraspooks , baby clone stick .


Couple of 5' paddles on from 3/8 to 1 oz jig heads
Self catering , family accommodation available  in Struisbaai . Contact Leon 0780394225

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal