Author Topic: Need advice on new Spinning/Dropshot rod  (Read 9408 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline .Brian.

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 19
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Jesus is King!
  • Location: Port Elizabeth
Need advice on new Spinning/Dropshot rod
« on: October 20, 2014, 08:57:32 PM »
Howsit guys. I need a new Surf Spinning/Dropshot rod. Options below:
-Daiwa Exceller Saltwater 9ft OR 9ft6.
-Sensation Dominator 9ft6
-Sensation Pro Series 9ft 3 piece.
-Loomis & Franklin Platinum 9ft
What do you guys think? Would appreciate your feedback!
 :tkx:

Offline deepblu

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 577
  • Cred: 12
  • Gender: Male
  • support catch and release, fish for tomrrow!!
  • Location: jhb
Re: Need advice on new Spinning/Dropshot rod
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 09:31:30 PM »
I have the exceller in 9 ft a great casting rod you can gooi a spoon a mile also got a good back bone for those bigger fish haven't used any of the other mentioned rods.

Offline Lenny

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2529
  • Cred: 124
  • Gender: Male
  • Catch and Release
  • Location: Struisbaai
Re: Need advice on new Spinning/Dropshot rod
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 11:06:31 AM »
From the lot you mentioned .


The LF PLatimuim is a very nice rod and very well priced , as is the Dominator .


Just a note , if your going to be only fishing soft plastics , go with a rod thats a bit more sensitive /softer.



Self catering , family accommodation available  in Struisbaai . Contact Leon 0780394225

Offline CLS

  • Born to fish forced to work.
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1700
  • Cred: 114
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban - KZN
Re: Need advice on new Spinning/Dropshot rod
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 12:45:32 PM »
The new Assassin Sierra 11ft is out the top drawer, what a rod, pity I cannot afford one. 
A bad days fishing is better than sitting at home moping.

Offline GOJ

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 28
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban
Re: Need advice on new Spinning/Dropshot rod
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 01:50:19 PM »
Also worth having a look at is the Assassin Amia now also available in a 9ft version. Don't know if its been loaded on there website yet but go have a look at http://www.basilmanning.co.za/

I loved my 11ft X Heavy just got too many spinning rods so this one must go.
All my buddies fishing Amia's also seem only to have positive things to say.

Offline CLS

  • Born to fish forced to work.
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1700
  • Cred: 114
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban - KZN
Re: Need advice on new Spinning/Dropshot rod
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 03:42:29 PM »
Also worth having a look at is the Assassin Amia now also available in a 9ft version. Don't know if its been loaded on there website yet but go have a look at http://www.basilmanning.co.za/

I loved my 11ft X Heavy just got too many spinning rods so this one must go.
All my buddies fishing Amia's also seem only to have positive things to say.
I am testing the 7ft on the boat and its perfect
A bad days fishing is better than sitting at home moping.

Offline Homie

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Need advice on new Spinning/Dropshot rod
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 03:48:40 PM »
in my humble opinion, Spinning and dropshot require 2 different rods....

Throwing a 1/8 ounce jighead and camo worm on a 9ft just isn't as effective as on a 7ft

What do you intend targeting ?

Offline Lenny

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2529
  • Cred: 124
  • Gender: Male
  • Catch and Release
  • Location: Struisbaai
Re: Need advice on new Spinning/Dropshot rod
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 06:43:18 PM »
in my humble opinion, Spinning and dropshot require 2 different rods....

Throwing a 1/8 ounce jighead and camo worm on a 9ft just isn't as effective as on a 7ft

What do you intend targeting ?


100% with you sir !
Self catering , family accommodation available  in Struisbaai . Contact Leon 0780394225

Offline GOJ

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 28
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban
Re: Need advice on new Spinning/Dropshot rod
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2014, 07:07:23 PM »
in my humble opinion, Spinning and dropshot require 2 different rods....

Throwing a 1/8 ounce jighead and camo worm on a 9ft just isn't as effective as on a 7ft

What do you intend targeting ?


100% with you sir !

I agree with you guys, but look where Brian is from.
In PE I doubt the chap is on the finesse side of dropshot.
I imagine more 1-1.5oz jig heads with 6-7inch minnows.  At this end of the range the lines begin to blur and the requirments in a rod get a lot closer to what is required on the spinning end.

Offline .Brian.

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 19
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Jesus is King!
  • Location: Port Elizabeth
Re: Need advice on new Spinning/Dropshot rod
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2014, 10:47:50 PM »
Thanks for the input sofar! :tkx:

I intend on targeting the usual, cob,garrick, throwing some leads and plastics of 3/4-1.5oz and other lures, spoons and plugs up to 3oz.

Offline David Taylor

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 234
  • Cred: 10
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Greyton, Western Cape
Re: Need advice on new Spinning/Dropshot rod
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2014, 06:52:51 AM »
How about a shimano vengeance. Cheap and very very nice

Offline CLS

  • Born to fish forced to work.
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1700
  • Cred: 114
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban - KZN
Re: Need advice on new Spinning/Dropshot rod
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2014, 07:30:49 AM »
Try the Assassin surf spin 11ft heavy, great rod and very well priced, just got myself one but not tested it yet.
A bad days fishing is better than sitting at home moping.

Offline chrisquinton

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 227
  • Cred: 13
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: durban north, kzn
Re: Need advice on new Spinning/Dropshot rod
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2014, 02:10:34 PM »
i love shimano.
depending on what you want to spend, i would get two. First, a 7ft, second a 10ft.
9 is ok, but 10 more versatile for anything heavier than the 7 can cope with. if you wanting to progress to heavier spinning, assissin 11 is super.

If I was looking for light to medium dropshot, I would rather spend and buy one really good stick than 2 or three not so lekker ones. 7ft is probably my most versatile. 11 the least. 10 is my in-between everything, great for nothing stick.

so If you were me, youd be buying a 7' shimano crucial.

Offline Lofty

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1474
  • Cred: 79
  • Gender: Male
  • dis lekker by die see...
  • Location: Cape Town
Re: Need advice on new Spinning/Dropshot rod
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2014, 06:53:09 PM »
I've got a Sensation Adventure II 9" that I enjoy spinning with,and at R450 at Bassilmanning it's a steal,I paid around R700-R800 when they were first introduced,casting weight is up to 1,5ounce so suited to lighter plastics and dropshot leadheads.For heavier spinning I use a 10'6" Poseidon ultra-light spinning,rated 1-3 ounce but I/the rod feels more suited to weights from 1,5 ounce to 3 ounce,casts a 2 ounce bullet spoon out of sight on 20lb braid and Stradic 5000fj and is nice and light for all day casting if needed...sorry but I don't know any of the other rods mentioned...apparently the Assasin Amia's are also able to cast those weights that you intend on casting and are very highly rated rods..best would be to go to a few tackleshops and handle the different rods and the one that feels the best in your hands will be the right one to buy...hope you come right :tite
Always be humble...

Offline Rory mundy

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1762
  • Cred: 66
  • Gender: Male
  • vidalbum
  • Location: St Lucia
Re: Need advice on new Spinning/Dropshot rod
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2014, 07:22:09 PM »
airocast

vidalbum

Offline chrisquinton

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 227
  • Cred: 13
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: durban north, kzn
Re: Need advice on new Spinning/Dropshot rod
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2014, 09:22:27 AM »
in that league (11ft heavy surf spinning), I think the Amia is the best value for money.
dare I say better than some sticks double its price.....

Offline Charles

  • The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1142
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • Never ever give up!
  • Location: Mossel Bay and Beni, DRC
Re: Need advice on new Spinning/Dropshot rod
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2014, 04:08:19 PM »
I would also suggest you have a look at this

http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=17906.0

Offline Cam Mundy

  • Offshore Spinning Enthusiast
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1178
  • Cred: 93
  • Gender: Male
  • Keep Casting!
  • Location: Papua New Gunea
Re: Need advice on new Spinning/Dropshot rod
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2014, 05:14:42 PM »
The aero cast is expensive but it's worth every penny. I bought an amid it casts a mile but an eye broke after a couple of sessions ended up redoing the entire rod with  K guides instead of the tiny little standard guides. If I'd known I would end up doing so I would have rather bought the 11 ft aero cast.

Offline jball7204

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 274
  • Cred: 38
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban North, KZN
Re: Need advice on new Spinning/Dropshot rod
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2014, 05:32:57 PM »
I have both an Exceler 10.6 and a 11' Amia with micro guides. Better rods than your other options I would think. The Exceler is fantastic but I havent used it since I bought the Amia. The Amia throws the right weight spoons, jigs, plugs that you want to throw in the surf, but the tip is a little softer so you can throw smaller dropshots and Bucktail Jigs etc. I the softer tip also absorbs more shock so that you're less likely to pull the hook out of a soft mouthed fish.

If you have a really good reason why you wouldn't want to throw the 11' and achieve great distances, some finesse and enjoy some great backbone then I would go with a shorter - you guessed it - AMIA.

If an Exceler is within your price range then so is an Amia. Absolutely fantastic value in a well priced rod.
"Angling is extremely time consuming. That's sort of the whole point." - Thomas McGuane

Offline .Brian.

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 19
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Jesus is King!
  • Location: Port Elizabeth
Re: Need advice on new Spinning/Dropshot rod
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2014, 11:19:19 AM »
I realy appreciate all of the comments!
Will definately keep all of it in mind when deciding.
Thanks again guys!!  :tkx:

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal