Author Topic: Going Rate Per Day for Catching Trout???  (Read 8800 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline E.T.

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 883
  • Cred: 87
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria, Gauteng
Going Rate Per Day for Catching Trout???
« on: August 18, 2014, 04:01:26 PM »
Guys

I want to ask a plain and simple question here.What are you willing to pay per day to catch Trout in the Berg? Let's say accommodation and fishing included per person per day?

R150-R300 per person per day?

R300-R400 per person per day?

R400 and more per person per day?

I am asking this as I got the shock of my life over the weekend.I see that the norm these days is lets say R400 per person per day and then they charge a minimum charge of 3 persons per night. I am not stingy, but this is just beyond my reach paying a R1200 per night for myself and my wife or either myself and a fishing buddy.

I also want to mention that this place has no DSTV, No Tumble Dryer, No Washing Machine, No Cell Reception(Thank goodness for this one), No bath, just shower, etc.So where does one draw the line? Does these type of rates mean that the days of chalets/cottages is now beyond the means of the average Fly Fisher?

Does this mean that you now have to resort to camping and maybe buying one of those camper trailer jobbies so that you have everything at hand?

I look forward to hearing your thoughts?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 04:03:48 PM by E.T. »

Offline CLS

  • Born to fish forced to work.
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1700
  • Cred: 114
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban - KZN
Re: Going Rate Per Day for Catching Trout???
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 04:07:20 PM »
R400 per person per day is reasonable, where in the berg is this place you talking about?? because I will nor got there.
A bad days fishing is better than sitting at home moping.

Offline Lichia amia

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Going Rate Per Day for Catching Trout???
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 04:10:51 PM »
A 4 star lodge- Dinner , bed and Breakfast should not be more than R750 per head and self-catering not more than R350 per head per day . 
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 04:11:52 PM by Lichia amia »

Offline E.T.

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 883
  • Cred: 87
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria, Gauteng
Re: Going Rate Per Day for Catching Trout???
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 04:26:40 PM »
R400 per person per day is reasonable, where in the berg is this place you talking about?? because I will nor got there.


Central Drakensberg.

Offline E.T.

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 883
  • Cred: 87
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria, Gauteng
Re: Going Rate Per Day for Catching Trout???
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 04:29:32 PM »
A 4 star lodge- Dinner , bed and Breakfast should not be more than R750 per head and self-catering not more than R350 per head per day .


It is Self Catering, but I think that R1200/night for two people is daylight robbery and kids under 12 is half price.


Public Holidays and Long Weekends the rate goes up to R450/person and yet again a minimum rate of 3 people apply.

Offline chrisquinton

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 227
  • Cred: 13
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: durban north, kzn
Re: Going Rate Per Day for Catching Trout???
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 04:37:30 PM »
accommodation only, id say R 400 PPPN is actually cheap.
DBB can be anywhere from 750-1500 PPPN.
I guess you must assess the location, and quality of services provided. there is certainly not a lot we get these days which we dont have to pay dearly for..


Offline E.T.

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 883
  • Cred: 87
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria, Gauteng
Re: Going Rate Per Day for Catching Trout???
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 04:49:14 PM »
I understand this, but how is it possible to rent a neat flat that can sleep 8 people right on the beach at Ballito for R350/night for the place and R600-R800 in peak season?


This flat has everything from DSTV, Washing Machine, Tumble Dryer, etc, etc.


Then you go to a venue in the middle of nowhere to catch wild trout in a river and the rate is R400/night/person or minimum charge of R1200/night for the cottage and it has none of the luxuries the flat right on the beach has.


If this were a 5 star lodge then I would get it, but the accommodation is rustic and I just can't get myself to the point of paying R1200 per night for two people.

Offline chrisquinton

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 227
  • Cred: 13
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: durban north, kzn
Re: Going Rate Per Day for Catching Trout???
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 05:00:38 PM »
Dunno - My guess might be occupancy.
Perhaps the coastal accommodations are relatively full all year round compared to the berg.
I think that a flat in any event is not comparable to a small free-stanging lodge far away from "civilisation"
Since I live at the sea, I have never considered comparing coastal rates to inland rates.

At least we agree - it is pricy.


Offline icstuff

  • The Ultimate Clown
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1105
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • It's the Water's fault!
  • Location: Meyerton
Re: Going Rate Per Day for Catching Trout???
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2014, 05:40:35 PM »
I understand this, but how is it possible to rent a neat flat that can sleep 8 people right on the beach at Ballito for R350/night for the place and R600-R800 in peak season?


This flat has everything from DSTV, Washing Machine, Tumble Dryer, etc, etc.


Then you go to a venue in the middle of nowhere to catch wild trout in a river and the rate is R400/night/person or minimum charge of R1200/night for the cottage and it has none of the luxuries the flat right on the beach has.


If this were a 5 star lodge then I would get it, but the accommodation is rustic and I just can't get myself to the point of paying R1200 per night for two people.

Koos I am not sure about troot but I have paid R400 for a 6 sleeper with all the things that you mentioned(and it was not a piece of carp). But we have to accept that our money is worthless these days
Squid Happens!

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: Going Rate Per Day for Catching Trout???
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2014, 07:34:36 AM »
Koos I agree with you fully there, I would not want to pay more than 400, because the budget wont allow it for an extended trip...

Offline Dewald Posthumus

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 182
  • Cred: 8
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Benoni
Re: Going Rate Per Day for Catching Trout???
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2014, 07:50:52 AM »
Koos,
www.wheretostay.co.za/seletwane - R325 pppn
Best of both worlds - you have decent fly fishing for rainbow trout in the dams and if you ask the owner nicely, you can 4x4 round the mountain into Seletwane bay at Sterkfontein dam for yellows...
Also, it is the only cottage on the farm, peace and tranquility!

Offline E.T.

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 883
  • Cred: 87
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria, Gauteng
Re: Going Rate Per Day for Catching Trout???
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2014, 08:26:24 AM »
Let me put this in perspective.
The streams I fish are all wild trout streams that comes out of one of the KZN Parks.
Fishing inside these Reserves are usually R30-50/Day.


The accommodation inside these Reserves are charged at Dollar or Pound rates and they cater for the foreigners. The camping is affordable though, but not all the reserves offer camping facilities.


Now you do get accommodation close to the Reserves as Lodges, B&B, Self catering, etc, etc.


I guess I now need to find myself a base camp to stay at and then fish my way around the streams daily.


A place that offers a bed and a few utensils for preparing food at R1200/night is ridiculous. That means that a month at a place like this will set you back R36 000. That is more than 3 times what my 3 bedroom Townhouse cost me a month here in Pta.


I think I will invest in one of those camping trailer jobbies, start saving up and kitting it up so that I have everything at hand that I might need.


When I fish I don't care where I sleep, I just want to sleep decently. I don't want to be carried away by cockroaches, but I don't need 5 star as I will rough it out in a tent, I just want a hot shower every now and then and  this is what most of the KZN Reserves offer.


I will have to look at my Trout fishing trips in a whole new way.

Offline CLS

  • Born to fish forced to work.
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1700
  • Cred: 114
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban - KZN
Re: Going Rate Per Day for Catching Trout???
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2014, 08:44:31 AM »
Go stay at Krissi place in Underberg area ?? Looks very nice and has everything one needs.
A bad days fishing is better than sitting at home moping.

Offline Toppie

  • RIP Toppie. What a great man. You will always be an
  • Ultimate Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 1823
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: Going Rate Per Day for Catching Trout???
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2014, 09:48:46 AM »
Agree with you ET, at least I know my camping equipment is clean and not going to sleep in a sagging old bed that 1000's before have. Refuse to pay such ridiculous prices for sub-standard accommodation. At Cape Vidal a guy fell right through the rotten floor when he stepped out the shower, and those plankie chalets are not much cheaper than what you describe.

Also have a deep freeze for camping so I can eat what I want, usually a good braai in the evening. After our last Mapelane trip even got a gas fired shower now so no more "mud baths".

I think these "tourist" prices are a rip off.
"Everything will be good in the end" - so it cant be the end yet!

Offline E.T.

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 883
  • Cred: 87
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria, Gauteng
Re: Going Rate Per Day for Catching Trout???
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2014, 10:09:23 AM »
@Toppie


I couldn't agree  more.


Look there is two ways of camping in the Berg.


1. Drive, Park and Camp. Here you decide what your comfort is going to be and what you bring and what not. You can do it rough and ready or you can gooi it Voetspore Style.


2. Drive, Park and Hike out into the mountains. This option is robust and you need to carry everything with you that you would need for 3 or 4 days. Set up camp, fish above and below camp and then hike out again.


Option 1 is for the family.


Option 2 is for myself and a 1 or 2 mates.


I want to invest in both options, but I strongly feel a Berg Hike/Fishing Trip is on the cards sooner than later.

I base my opinion not on the fact that sleeping is the main focus. I can go without sleep and sit up straight if need be when sleeping, but for me it's about the fishing.

I fish hard, because I only have limited time these days. I also agree that the way I fish not everyone out there would be able to keep up. But I do have a couple of mates that can.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 10:13:26 AM by E.T. »

Offline DvrDave

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 36
  • Cred: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: work in Australia
Re: Going Rate Per Day for Catching Trout???
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2014, 12:45:56 PM »
get  a roof top tent and an engel /waeco fridge with a  solar panel

no trailor to drag around all folds up quick smart
and often u can set up in a parking area if u wait for dark at no cost ;p
No sea can be calm enough to scare me!

Offline E.T.

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 883
  • Cred: 87
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria, Gauteng
Re: Going Rate Per Day for Catching Trout???
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2014, 01:28:30 PM »
get  a roof top tent and an engel /waeco fridge with a  solar panel

no trailor to drag around all folds up quick smart
and often u can set up in a parking area if u wait for dark at no cost ;p


I like this idea. Thanks for sharing. :+ cred:

Offline krissi

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 789
  • Cred: 137
  • Gender: Female
  • Location: Underberg, KZN
Re: Going Rate Per Day for Catching Trout???
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2014, 05:09:52 PM »
Go stay at Krissi place in Underberg area ?? Looks very nice and has everything one needs.

Thanks CLS - didn't want to say anything as ET seems set on the central berg and we are quite a few hours further south.  Going rate here in Underberg seems to be from R250 - R390 when I was looking at my pricing.

Offline isivuba

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1671
  • Cred: 265
  • Gender: Male
  • Work pays for the fishing trips
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: Going Rate Per Day for Catching Trout???
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2014, 05:40:24 PM »
Go stay at Krissi place in Underberg area ?? Looks very nice and has everything one needs.

Thanks CLS - didn't want to say anything as ET seems set on the central berg and we are quite a few hours further south.  Going rate here in Underberg seems to be from R250 - R390 when I was looking at my pricing.




At those rates I would drive the extra miles and besides your accommodation is stunning Krissi.

Offline E.T.

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 883
  • Cred: 87
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria, Gauteng
Re: Going Rate Per Day for Catching Trout???
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2014, 07:47:47 PM »
Krissi, I will have to come round that side of the world.
The furthest south I have been, besides Rhodes is Lotheni.


Will make a plan to go fish Underberg for a change.

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal