Author Topic: Long range spinning  (Read 26372 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline BAUMANNATOR

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 115
  • Cred: 7
  • Location: PMB
Long range spinning
« on: April 14, 2014, 05:32:29 PM »
I am looking for advice on a rod to pair with my Ultegra 5500. I am looking at getting max distance with 3-4oz lures. My present setup is a G4 12', 2-3oz & bionic finger, with which I cast 120-140m (146m measued with range finder) and a Iron Candy #3. I want to get ready for the Sardine Run and want to be hitting 180m if possible...any suggestions?

Offline Rory mundy

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1762
  • Cred: 66
  • Gender: Male
  • vidalbum
  • Location: St Lucia
Re: Long range spinning
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 08:38:24 PM »
start doing some press ups every night

vidalbum

Offline krissi

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 789
  • Cred: 137
  • Gender: Female
  • Location: Underberg, KZN
Re: Long range spinning
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 07:34:07 AM »
start doing some press ups every night

 :rotfl 
 
I have the 5500 and it is the love of my life - paired with an Assassin Surf Lite.  Sorry, I am not much help with lure fishing but I am sure someone will be able to help.

Offline Hooch

  • Banned
  • *
  • Posts: 330
  • Cred: 33
  • Gender: Male
  • Fear no Fish
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: Long range spinning
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 07:48:14 AM »
I am looking for advice on a rod to pair with my Ultegra 5500. I am looking at getting max distance with 3-4oz lures. My present setup is a G4 12', 2-3oz & bionic finger, with which I cast 120-140m (146m measued with range finder) and a Iron Candy #3. I want to get ready for the Sardine Run and want to be hitting 180m if possible...any suggestions?
Yoh :blush: John Holden should get lessons from you :nobs:

Offline Spieks

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 214
  • Cred: 29
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: George Western Cape
Re: Long range spinning
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 08:14:24 AM »
Yoh! 180m.....thats punshing above weight!!!

Offline chrisquinton

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 227
  • Cred: 13
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: durban north, kzn
Re: Long range spinning
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 08:36:00 AM »
if you ever get there, tell us how. I am not sure that this is practically possible.
I think that the sacrifices you will have to make just to get that distance would render the rig ineffective to fish with. (at least for the gamefish you are expecting to hook and land).

Offline Half-Pint

  • CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3712
  • Cred: 223
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Boksburg
Re: Long range spinning
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 09:13:26 AM »
Thr only real suggestion would be to scale your braid down to something like 15lb but you will probably lose a lot of fish especially in the sard run.

Maybe get a real expert like Barry Wareham to give you some casting tips. Could be one or two tweaks to add 5m or so but I doubt 180m is really doable

Offline Spieks

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 214
  • Cred: 29
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: George Western Cape
Re: Long range spinning
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 09:29:47 AM »
if you ever get there, tell us how. I am not sure that this is practically possible.
I think that the sacrifices you will have to make just to get that distance would render the rig ineffective to fish with. (at least for the gamefish you are expecting to hook and land).

Potato gun! :crzy
 

Offline Lichia amia

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Long range spinning
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 09:39:32 AM »
if you ever get there, tell us how. I am not sure that this is practically possible.
I think that the sacrifices you will have to make just to get that distance would render the rig ineffective to fish with. (at least for the gamefish you are expecting to hook and land).

Potato gun! :crzy

 :rotfl

Offline chrisquinton

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 227
  • Cred: 13
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: durban north, kzn
Re: Long range spinning
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 09:40:36 AM »
that potato gun might just secure you a permanent spot on the over-crowded beach....

Offline Spieks

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 214
  • Cred: 29
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: George Western Cape
Re: Long range spinning
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2014, 09:47:21 AM »
that potato gun might just secure you a permanent spot on the over-crowded beach....

 w;k  indeed!

Offline Hooch

  • Banned
  • *
  • Posts: 330
  • Cred: 33
  • Gender: Male
  • Fear no Fish
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: Long range spinning
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2014, 10:04:10 AM »
Thr only real suggestion would be to scale your braid down to something like 15lb but you will probably lose a lot of fish especially in the sard run.

Maybe get a real expert like Barry Wareham to give you some casting tips. Could be one or two tweaks to add 5m or so but I doubt 180m is really doable
Yes it is, wade 100m and cast 80m :crzy

Offline MIKE PIKE

  • Ultimate Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 3886
  • Cred: 196
  • Gender: Male
Re: Long range spinning
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2014, 10:10:33 AM »
Only way i'll get 180m on any tackle is with one of these.

Offline Rory mundy

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1762
  • Cred: 66
  • Gender: Male
  • vidalbum
  • Location: St Lucia
Re: Long range spinning
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2014, 11:14:50 AM »
otherwise cast at a 45 degree angle off the pier in durban free spool as you walk back to beach =180m +

vidalbum

Offline jball7204

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 274
  • Cred: 38
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban North, KZN
Re: Long range spinning
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2014, 07:32:23 PM »
Ja, for surf spinning my mate & I have put the best possible rigs together (budget wise as well) for best balance and furthest distance possible - a total of 3 times, as this evolves every couple of years as rods and braids evolve.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but currently an Assassin Amia 11' Heavy with microwave guides, paired with a top end Shimano reel (4000-5000) and a good 8 weave braid of 25/30lb like Gosen probably gives the best consistent results currently, and that's with a short profile 40-50g bullet spoon. Very little fatigue from continuous casting for 2-3 hours.

We get 130m often, with around 120m being the norm when you're just warming up or tiring towards the end of a long session. I'm sure with a more accomplished technique you could hit 140m - 150m. But spinning wise I'm not sure that the additional results required are attainable, or everyone would already have that equipment and I'm sure the results would be published everywhere...

I personally think you're doing extremely well currently!!!


"Angling is extremely time consuming. That's sort of the whole point." - Thomas McGuane

Offline BAUMANNATOR

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 115
  • Cred: 7
  • Location: PMB
Re: Long range spinning
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2014, 08:25:20 PM »
I also use the Amia kob special with Soron 60 and 15lb braid with the #2 iron candy... Getting 130, with 110 to 120 average and no wind. I realise I am pushing the boundary.... Maybe a conventional Trinidad 30a and 14 ft with 5 oz bullets........ Use for jig and drop too.

Offline jball7204

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 274
  • Cred: 38
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban North, KZN
Re: Long range spinning
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2014, 06:05:52 AM »
5oz is a big spoon, what are you targeting?
"Angling is extremely time consuming. That's sort of the whole point." - Thomas McGuane

Offline SAfish

  • Angler of the Month - April 2015
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 4238
  • Cred: 137
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Knysna, South Africa
Re: Long range spinning
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2014, 09:15:46 AM »
I agree, 110 - 120m on average is good considering you are spinning. I think that going too heavy on your spinning gear will have a negative effect on your fishing results.To continuously cast that far with heavy tackle and retrieve your lure will leave you with shorter sessions and little energy to reel in a big fish.  :dunno: 

Offline BAUMANNATOR

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 115
  • Cred: 7
  • Location: PMB
Re: Long range spinning
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2014, 11:30:05 AM »
I agree, but standing at Mazeppa and looking at redeyes being smashed just out of range is soul destroying. Took my 13'6" 36T down in the rain this morning and got a measured 168m with a 5oz....180m must be attainable. Not looking at long sessions, just have it on stanby if the smash comes closer.

Offline SAfish

  • Angler of the Month - April 2015
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 4238
  • Cred: 137
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Knysna, South Africa
Re: Long range spinning
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2014, 11:42:05 AM »
I suppose in that case it is worth a try. Good luck and keep us updated.  :tite

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal