Welcome,
Guest
. Please
login
or
register
.
Did you miss your
activation email
?
1 Hour
1 Day
1 Week
1 Month
Forever
Login with username, password and session length
Home
Recent Topics
Forum
Login
Register
ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website
»
General Angling Topics
»
Saltwater Lure Angling
»
09/02/2014 First GT for 2014, and a Shad
« previous
next »
Print
Pages: [
1
]
2
Go Down
Author
Topic: 09/02/2014 First GT for 2014, and a Shad (Read 6365 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
yakuza
Member
Posts: 37
Cred: 7
Gender:
Location: Pretoria, Gauteng
09/02/2014 First GT for 2014, and a Shad
«
on:
February 09, 2014, 09:02:54 PM »
Good day, Fisher folk
It is with great pleasure that I can share this day with fellow anglers and my experience with you's.
Well a quick weekend from Pretoors to St. Lucia turned out quit successful, more even than I had hoped for.
On this lovely Sunday morning, I decided its time to gooi a Rapala at the see for a few hours. So I got up at 04:00h drank a lekker "Boere troos" and packed the artificial lures I suspected would work.
Needless to say a 10Kg back pack was over kill, as I only intended to use 2 Lures aka those Shad rappies that work so good , seeing the bus Shad are coming out left right and center at the coast.
Went down to my pinultimate fishing spot, only to find the Umfolozi coming down full force with chocolate brown water. Now it was getting to light to fast to throw some lures in the ocean. So a quick run down to the "swem strand" and there it was beautiful blue see threw water, clear as it gets.
I looked around for some structure indicators on the beach and ran to the second best spot (second best is always the best, trust me) I saw. Waded in till my face was covered to feel the water temp and there it was a good all rounder moring with a light breeze just to help cast a 1 Oz Shad Rappie wit a 12 ft Waft Stallion, combined with the brand new Quantum PT60 (much better quality on the new reel than the previous Quantum) loaded with 40lb Tuff braid.
The water color started to change to turquoise which only meant one thing for me. That I must start casting right away. Made a few casts and moved up and down the beach, waded in till neck depth but the current started to pull to hard, so I retrieved to the shore and decided I need to cast parallel with the coast as there was a massive gully feeding a "pot blou gat".
One cast in that direction and a I started a slow but tensioned retrieve..... Shizamme there we was"vas soos in klip hard". Reel started screaming away like mad, rod bending almost 90 degrees. I set the drag to the O.K release/retrieve rate, and so the fight started.
Eish
, manne I now have goose bumps, this is what an epic experiance it was like for me second time around.
The reel was still screaming away after 4 minutes so I knew or suspected but I actually hoped it would be a Kingie. I saw the fish strip line like a mofo and decided to give it more drag, haha and it still went strong, till I got a chance to reel, but with no luck it just pulled. So I sundered, and fought this oukie on his own terms.
Fast forward 10m minutes of fighting and the first glimpse... Its a KING.. I started raving of joy. I just need to say, to fish alone is shaizer, because you don't have some one to take good photos and help with getting the bugger out of the ocean.
I struggled for another 10 minutes, slowly tiring the fish out. In and out of the water to try and grab the fish by the tail but it was a task far to hectic with the reel in your hands and the need to keep tension on the fish. Alas I got it and wow o wow!! The photos will speak a thousand words. (I eventually yelled for help to this on lady jogging up the beach and amazingly she heard me 1KM away and ran to take a picture for all you good folk).
So this Mnr was revived for more or less 5 minutes and swam off strong to fight another day, but before that I measured it, and it was confirmed by my dead arms that this fish was way bigger than my previous PB. So yup 103 CM translates into 20.7 Kg of pure fish. (I'm still stunned and amazed)
Oky, so the saying is that the proof is in the 'poeding' this seems fit! As I lost a complete lure due to the raw power of this fish ripping the wires out of the lure, resulting in only one hook that stayed on together with the clip swivel I attached to it.
So after this I quickly checked the tides and saw I can still fish before we leave for home at 11:00h. Haha and a few throws later and my new lure, exactly the same as the previous ones. Those duo tide minnows. was taking by another spectacular fish that also played like the King.
Keeping my cool and the drag loose, I decided to play it save and not pull the hooks again. A lekker 7 min fight resulted in my second BUS Shad for the year. A nifty 82 cm long, tipping the scales at 7.23 another PB for the day.
Amazing amazing fishing. I'm ecstatic about my results, the more you fish the better your fishing ability gets.
Photos to be posted after I figure this thing out again.
[smg id=1952]
[smg id=1953]
«
Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 09:04:36 PM by yakuza
»
Logged
Vis Lubbe
yakuza
Member
Posts: 37
Cred: 7
Gender:
Location: Pretoria, Gauteng
Re: 09/02/2014 First GT for 2014, and a Shad
«
Reply #1 on:
February 09, 2014, 09:05:34 PM »
[smg id=1954[/img]
[smg id=1955[/img]
Logged
Vis Lubbe
MIKE PIKE
Ultimate Hero
Posts: 3886
Cred: 196
Gender:
Re: 09/02/2014 First GT for 2014, and a Shad
«
Reply #2 on:
February 09, 2014, 09:32:05 PM »
yakuza , thats a proper size
from the shore and a proper
as well ,
.... well done on the PB'S in one day .
Logged
Big B
Barry
Ultimate member
Posts: 760
Cred: 20
Gender:
I am a fish-a-holic!
Location: Pretoria
Re: 09/02/2014 First GT for 2014, and a Shad
«
Reply #3 on:
February 09, 2014, 09:46:08 PM »
Very nice! Congrats on some very nice fish!
Logged
Lets go FISHING!
carll
Spin a Holic
Senior Member
Posts: 263
Cred: 11
Gender:
Re: 09/02/2014 First GT for 2014, and a Shad
«
Reply #4 on:
February 09, 2014, 10:26:44 PM »
Thats a proper King from the shore
Logged
Charles
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.
Ultimate Champ
Posts: 1142
Cred: 77
Gender:
Never ever give up!
Location: Mossel Bay and Beni, DRC
Re: 09/02/2014 First GT for 2014, and a Shad
«
Reply #5 on:
February 09, 2014, 10:46:26 PM »
Awesome fish,! Well done!
Logged
Half-Pint
CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
Ultimate Champ
Posts: 3712
Cred: 223
Gender:
Location: Boksburg
Re: 09/02/2014 First GT for 2014, and a Shad
«
Reply #6 on:
February 10, 2014, 06:26:29 AM »
Absolutely brilliant fish! And thanks for sharing them with us
Logged
REEFMAN
Ultimate Champ
Posts: 9766
Cred: 768
Gender:
Location: Jozi
Re: 09/02/2014 First GT for 2014, and a Shad
«
Reply #7 on:
February 10, 2014, 06:45:24 AM »
oUTSTANDING Catches!
Logged
Werries
Ultimate member
Posts: 675
Cred: 84
Location: Pretoria
Re: 09/02/2014 First GT for 2014, and a Shad
«
Reply #8 on:
February 10, 2014, 07:37:22 AM »
Great catches Yakuza!
Logged
Only dead fish go with the flow...
SAfish
Angler of the Month - April 2015
Ultimate Champ
Posts: 4238
Cred: 137
Gender:
Location: Knysna, South Africa
Re: 09/02/2014 First GT for 2014, and a Shad
«
Reply #9 on:
February 10, 2014, 08:07:34 AM »
Great catches!!
Logged
Peter Gordon
Value. 64 is a bit short on Proper Value
Ultimate Legend
Posts: 0
Cred: 0
Gender:
Location: Boksburg, Gauteng
Re: 09/02/2014 First GT for 2014, and a Shad
«
Reply #10 on:
February 10, 2014, 08:11:20 AM »
Great catches
Logged
Bwana
Ultimate Champ
Posts: 916
Cred: 206
Gender:
Deep Blue Addict
Location: Shelly Beach, KZN
Re: 09/02/2014 First GT for 2014, and a Shad
«
Reply #11 on:
February 10, 2014, 08:38:39 AM »
What a lekker report and some great fish as well!
Logged
Spieks
Senior Member
Posts: 214
Cred: 29
Gender:
Location: George Western Cape
Re: 09/02/2014 First GT for 2014, and a Shad
«
Reply #12 on:
February 10, 2014, 08:59:52 AM »
nice fish my friend!
Logged
FFF
Senior Member
Posts: 320
Cred: 99
Gender:
Its all about kids catching fish
Location: Amanzimtoti
Re: 09/02/2014 First GT for 2014, and a Shad
«
Reply #13 on:
February 10, 2014, 09:10:56 AM »
on 2 nice fish. Enjoyed the report.
Logged
Umpa Lumpa
The Ocean is my Haven!!!
Ultimate member
Posts: 628
Cred: 122
Gender:
The Big Blue Ocean is our Sanctuary
Location: Tweni, South Coast.
Re: 09/02/2014 First GT for 2014, and a Shad
«
Reply #14 on:
February 10, 2014, 10:08:33 AM »
Lekker report and even betters fish, well done.
Logged
Prego
Ultimate Champ
Posts: 2880
Cred: 167
Gender:
Because I said so
Location: Glenvista, Johannesburg
Re: 09/02/2014 First GT for 2014, and a Shad
«
Reply #15 on:
February 10, 2014, 10:19:19 AM »
That's a proper Geet from the side on that tackle
and
for the release.
Logged
Debbie
Senior Member
Posts: 540
Cred: 55
Gender:
Location: Durban
Re: 09/02/2014 First GT for 2014, and a Shad
«
Reply #16 on:
February 10, 2014, 10:37:05 AM »
Great report with a great result ...........
congrats on those super catches.
Logged
lebaka
Ultimate member
Posts: 860
Cred: 66
Gender:
i break bills
Location: boksburg
Re: 09/02/2014 First GT for 2014, and a Shad
«
Reply #17 on:
February 10, 2014, 10:39:19 AM »
awesome session resulting in two awesome fish tx for posting and
for the release
Logged
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
zach
Senior Member
Posts: 88
Cred: 1
Gender:
Location: Durban
Re: 09/02/2014 First GT for 2014, and a Shad
«
Reply #18 on:
February 10, 2014, 12:21:21 PM »
Well done,great fishing.
Logged
kp11
Senior Member
Posts: 123
Cred: 5
Gender:
Location: germiston
Re: 09/02/2014 First GT for 2014, and a Shad
«
Reply #19 on:
February 10, 2014, 02:48:29 PM »
Well done Great fish
Logged
Print
Pages: [
1
]
2
Go Up
« previous
next »
ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website
»
General Angling Topics
»
Saltwater Lure Angling
»
09/02/2014 First GT for 2014, and a Shad
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal