Author Topic: 09/02/2014 First GT for 2014, and a Shad  (Read 6338 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline yakuza

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 37
  • Cred: 7
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria, Gauteng
09/02/2014 First GT for 2014, and a Shad
« on: February 09, 2014, 09:02:54 PM »
Good day, Fisher folk
 
  It is with great pleasure that I can share this day with fellow anglers and my experience with you's.
 
  Well a quick weekend from Pretoors to St. Lucia turned out quit successful, more even than I had hoped for.
 
  On this lovely Sunday morning, I decided its time to gooi a Rapala at   the see for a few hours. So I got up at 04:00h drank a lekker "Boere   troos" and packed the artificial lures I suspected would work.
 
  Needless to say a 10Kg back pack was over kill, as I only intended to   use 2 Lures aka those Shad rappies that work so good , seeing the bus   Shad are coming out left right and center at the coast.
 
  Went down to my pinultimate fishing spot, only to find the Umfolozi   coming down full force with chocolate brown water.  Now it was getting   to light to fast to throw some lures in the ocean. So a quick run down   to the "swem strand" and there it was beautiful blue see threw water,   clear as it gets.
 
  I looked around for some structure indicators on the beach and ran to   the second best spot (second best is always the best, trust me) I saw.    Waded in till my face was covered to feel the water temp and there it   was a good all rounder moring with a light breeze just to help cast a 1   Oz Shad Rappie wit a 12 ft Waft Stallion, combined with the brand new   Quantum PT60 (much better quality on the new reel than the previous   Quantum) loaded with 40lb Tuff braid.
 
  The water color started to change to turquoise which only meant one   thing for me.  That I must start casting right away.  Made a few casts   and moved up and down the beach, waded in till neck depth but the   current started to pull to hard, so I retrieved to the shore and decided   I need to cast parallel with the coast as there was a massive gully   feeding a "pot blou gat".
 
  One cast in that direction and a I started a slow but tensioned   retrieve.....  Shizamme there we was"vas soos in klip hard". Reel   started screaming away like mad, rod bending almost 90 degrees. I set   the drag to the O.K release/retrieve rate, and so the fight started. Eish, manne I now have goose bumps, this is what an epic experiance it was like for me second time around.
 
  The reel was still screaming away after 4 minutes so I knew or suspected   but I actually hoped it would be a Kingie.  I saw the fish strip line   like a mofo and decided to give it more drag, haha and it still went   strong, till I got a chance to reel, but with no luck it just pulled. So   I sundered, and fought this oukie on his own terms. 
 
  Fast forward 10m minutes of fighting and the first glimpse... Its a   KING.. I started raving of joy. I just need to say, to fish alone is   shaizer, because you don't have some one to take good photos and help   with getting the bugger out of the ocean.
 
  I struggled for another 10 minutes, slowly tiring the fish out. In and   out of the water to try and grab the fish by the tail but it was a task   far to hectic with the reel in your hands and the need to keep tension   on the fish. Alas I got it and wow o wow!! The photos will speak a   thousand words. (I eventually yelled for help to this on lady jogging up   the beach and amazingly she heard me 1KM away and ran to take a picture   for all you good folk).
 
  So this Mnr was revived for more or less 5 minutes and swam off strong   to fight another day, but before that I measured it, and it was   confirmed by my dead arms that this fish was way bigger than my previous   PB. So yup 103 CM translates into 20.7 Kg of pure fish. (I'm still   stunned and amazed)
 
  Oky, so the saying is that the proof is in the 'poeding' this seems fit!   As I lost a complete lure due to the raw power of this fish ripping the   wires out of the lure, resulting in only one hook that stayed on   together with the clip swivel I attached to it.
 
  So after this I quickly checked the tides and saw I can still fish   before we leave for home at 11:00h.  Haha and a few throws later and my   new lure, exactly the same as the previous ones. Those duo tide minnows.   was taking by another spectacular fish that also played like the King.
 
  Keeping my cool and the drag loose, I decided to play it save and not   pull the hooks again. A lekker 7 min fight resulted in my second BUS   Shad for the year. A nifty 82 cm long, tipping the scales at 7.23   another PB for the day.
 
  Amazing amazing fishing. I'm ecstatic about my results, the more you fish the better your fishing ability gets. 
 
  Photos to be posted after I figure this thing out again.


[smg id=1952]
 

[smg id=1953]
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 09:04:36 PM by yakuza »
Vis Lubbe

Offline yakuza

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 37
  • Cred: 7
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria, Gauteng
Re: 09/02/2014 First GT for 2014, and a Shad
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 09:05:34 PM »
[smg id=1954[/img]

[smg id=1955[/img]
Vis Lubbe

Offline MIKE PIKE

  • Ultimate Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 3886
  • Cred: 196
  • Gender: Male
Re: 09/02/2014 First GT for 2014, and a Shad
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 09:32:05 PM »
 :cgrts:  yakuza , thats a proper size  :gt:  from the shore and a proper  :shd:  as well ,  (clap)  .... well done on the PB'S in one day .

Offline Big B

  • Barry
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 760
  • Cred: 20
  • Gender: Male
  • I am a fish-a-holic!
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: 09/02/2014 First GT for 2014, and a Shad
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 09:46:08 PM »
Very nice! Congrats on some very nice fish!
Lets go FISHING!

Offline carll

  • Spin a Holic
  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 263
  • Cred: 11
  • Gender: Male
Re: 09/02/2014 First GT for 2014, and a Shad
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 10:26:44 PM »
 :cgrts: Thats a proper King from the shore  (clap)

Offline Charles

  • The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1142
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • Never ever give up!
  • Location: Mossel Bay and Beni, DRC
Re: 09/02/2014 First GT for 2014, and a Shad
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 10:46:26 PM »
 :cgrts: Awesome fish,! Well done!

Offline Half-Pint

  • CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3712
  • Cred: 223
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Boksburg
Re: 09/02/2014 First GT for 2014, and a Shad
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 06:26:29 AM »
Absolutely brilliant fish! And thanks for sharing them with us :happ:

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: 09/02/2014 First GT for 2014, and a Shad
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 06:45:24 AM »
oUTSTANDING Catches!  :+ cred:

Offline Werries

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 675
  • Cred: 84
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: 09/02/2014 First GT for 2014, and a Shad
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 07:37:22 AM »
Great catches Yakuza!
Only dead fish go with the flow...

Offline SAfish

  • Angler of the Month - April 2015
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 4238
  • Cred: 137
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Knysna, South Africa
Re: 09/02/2014 First GT for 2014, and a Shad
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2014, 08:07:34 AM »
Great catches!!  :cgrts:

Offline Peter Gordon

  • Value. 64 is a bit short on Proper Value
  • Ultimate Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Boksburg, Gauteng
Re: 09/02/2014 First GT for 2014, and a Shad
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2014, 08:11:20 AM »
 :cgrts: Great catches (clap)

Offline Bwana

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 916
  • Cred: 206
  • Gender: Male
  • Deep Blue Addict
  • Location: Shelly Beach, KZN
Re: 09/02/2014 First GT for 2014, and a Shad
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2014, 08:38:39 AM »
What a lekker report and some great fish as well!  :+ cred:

Offline Spieks

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 214
  • Cred: 29
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: George Western Cape
Re: 09/02/2014 First GT for 2014, and a Shad
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2014, 08:59:52 AM »
 (clap) nice fish my friend!  :cgrts:

Offline FFF

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 320
  • Cred: 99
  • Gender: Male
  • Its all about kids catching fish
  • Location: Amanzimtoti
Re: 09/02/2014 First GT for 2014, and a Shad
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2014, 09:10:56 AM »
 :cgrts: on 2 nice fish. Enjoyed the report.

Offline Umpa Lumpa

  • The Ocean is my Haven!!!
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 628
  • Cred: 122
  • Gender: Male
  • The Big Blue Ocean is our Sanctuary
  • Location: Tweni, South Coast.
Re: 09/02/2014 First GT for 2014, and a Shad
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2014, 10:08:33 AM »
Lekker report and even betters fish, well done. (clap)

Offline Prego

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2880
  • Cred: 167
  • Gender: Male
  • Because I said so
  • Location: Glenvista, Johannesburg
Re: 09/02/2014 First GT for 2014, and a Shad
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2014, 10:19:19 AM »
That's a proper Geet from the side on that tackle  :resp: and  :+ cred: for the release.

Offline Debbie

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 540
  • Cred: 55
  • Gender: Female
  • Location: Durban
Re: 09/02/2014 First GT for 2014, and a Shad
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2014, 10:37:05 AM »
Great report with a great result ...........  (clap) (clap) congrats on those super catches.

Offline lebaka

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 860
  • Cred: 66
  • Gender: Male
  • i break bills
  • Location: boksburg
Re: 09/02/2014 First GT for 2014, and a Shad
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2014, 10:39:19 AM »
 :shk awesome session resulting in two awesome fish tx for posting and  :+ cred: for the release
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

Offline zach

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 88
  • Cred: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban
Re: 09/02/2014 First GT for 2014, and a Shad
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2014, 12:21:21 PM »
Well done,great fishing.

Offline kp11

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 123
  • Cred: 5
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: germiston
Re: 09/02/2014 First GT for 2014, and a Shad
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2014, 02:48:29 PM »
Well done Great fish

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal