Author Topic: Vaal River Update  (Read 566839 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Poenskop

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 455
  • Cred: 35
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Port Elizabeth
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #60 on: October 25, 2010, 11:07:41 AM »
Lekka fish you guys got there Rory. I went to Kommando Nek for the weekend. The wading was extremely bad. Any worse flows and you wont be able to fish that place at all. The yellows had a serious case of lockjaw so I only managed to catch one Yellow for the weekend. A Largemouth Yellow of 2.5kg's. :happ: Only my fourth Largie ever. Was super happy about that one. I will go back to that venue in the winter with my inflatable but never to wade again. All and all a very nice weekend but the wind and wading spoilt it abit.

Offline schloshd1

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 278
  • Cred: 31
  • Location: Kelvin, Jozi
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #61 on: October 25, 2010, 12:16:59 PM »
Excellent, well done on the largie! (clap) Beer on me the next time I see you w;k
I'm a weekend drinker, I start on Saturday and end on Friday - Bill Hicks

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #62 on: October 25, 2010, 12:38:18 PM »
......I only managed to catch one Yellow for the weekend. A Largemouth Yellow of 2.5kg's. :happ: Only my fourth Largie ever. Was super happy about that one.......

Well done on the largie, excellent! (clap) Did you take a pic?

Offline Poenskop

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 455
  • Cred: 35
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Port Elizabeth
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #63 on: October 25, 2010, 01:36:17 PM »
I always forget the camera. :sadd

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #64 on: October 25, 2010, 08:34:43 PM »
Well done,

I am moving to Edenvale next month.

Will have to come and learn how to catch the yellows on fly from you guys...  w;k

Gerhard, you are more than welcome to join us. w;k
 There is normally at least one of the "degenerates" fishing on any given weekend, and any one of us would only be to happy to have you along. :sml:
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #65 on: October 25, 2010, 08:38:43 PM »
Lekka fish you guys got there Rory. I went to Kommando Nek for the weekend. The wading was extremely bad. Any worse flows and you wont be able to fish that place at all. The yellows had a serious case of lockjaw so I only managed to catch one Yellow for the weekend. A Largemouth Yellow of 2.5kg's. :happ: Only my fourth Largie ever. Was super happy about that one. I will go back to that venue in the winter with my inflatable but never to wade again. All and all a very nice weekend but the wind and wading spoilt it abit.


Well done on the Largie. :happ:

You seem to have the "knack" of taking on a new venue, and coming off with the "prize" fish of the day, (clap) ( Now where's the green man icon?? )  :sml:
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #66 on: October 26, 2010, 02:35:19 PM »
Well done,

I am moving to Edenvale next month.

Will have to come and learn how to catch the yellows on fly from you guys...  w;k

Gerhard, you are more than welcome to join us. w;k
 There is normally at least one of the "degenerates" fishing on any given weekend, and any one of us would only be to happy to have you along. :sml:

Yip, just let us know when you're settled in and we'll make a plan, no problemo!! w;k

Offline icstuff

  • The Ultimate Clown
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1105
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • It's the Water's fault!
  • Location: Meyerton
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #67 on: October 27, 2010, 09:16:25 AM »
Is anybody fishing the vaal this weekend?
Squid Happens!

Offline schloshd1

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 278
  • Cred: 31
  • Location: Kelvin, Jozi
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #68 on: October 27, 2010, 12:33:16 PM »
Unfortunately I'm not but I think that Rory might be.
I'm a weekend drinker, I start on Saturday and end on Friday - Bill Hicks

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #69 on: October 27, 2010, 01:09:59 PM »
Is anybody fishing the vaal this weekend?

Unfortunately I'm not but I think that Rory might be.

Pieter I'm fishing on Sunday, you keen to come along?? fshg

Offline icstuff

  • The Ultimate Clown
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1105
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • It's the Water's fault!
  • Location: Meyerton
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #70 on: October 28, 2010, 08:47:16 AM »
I might give it a go, where are you fishing?
Squid Happens!

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #71 on: October 28, 2010, 12:14:56 PM »
I might give it a go, where are you fishing?

We're going to Erina on sunday morning. Let me know if you keen and I'll give you directions!

Offline icstuff

  • The Ultimate Clown
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1105
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • It's the Water's fault!
  • Location: Meyerton
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #72 on: October 28, 2010, 12:18:06 PM »
I'm keen not sure about the weather though
Squid Happens!

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #73 on: October 28, 2010, 07:40:05 PM »
I'm keen not sure about the weather though

If you wade, you get wet, if it rains you get wet.

You're wet anyway. :hehe:
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline icstuff

  • The Ultimate Clown
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1105
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • It's the Water's fault!
  • Location: Meyerton
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #74 on: October 29, 2010, 08:19:36 AM »
Jip now I feel like a pile of dog feces. Was more worried about being washed away
Squid Happens!

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #75 on: October 29, 2010, 08:46:31 AM »
If you wade, you get wet, if it rains you get wet......

 :lolo: :hyst:

So we'll see you there Pieter?

Offline icstuff

  • The Ultimate Clown
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1105
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • It's the Water's fault!
  • Location: Meyerton
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #76 on: October 29, 2010, 11:25:05 AM »
Wont make it, have to go to pretoria :(
Squid Happens!

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #77 on: October 29, 2010, 11:34:38 AM »
Wont make it, have to go to pretoria :(

No worries man, we'll keep you in the loop!!! w;k

Offline Hooch

  • Banned
  • *
  • Posts: 330
  • Cred: 33
  • Gender: Male
  • Fear no Fish
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #78 on: November 01, 2010, 10:31:02 AM »
Again, a uge thanks to Rory for a lovely day on the vaal. Had a blast and oll. LOL
Thanks to the "Blackberry" in the morning, i managed to sort myself out and catch some fish.
 Thanks to Koos for the laughter and keeping us entertained. Well done bud.
Here are some pics of my muddy!

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #79 on: November 01, 2010, 10:40:21 AM »
Ja a super session yesterday. We were joined by a mate of mine, Koos, and met Adrian and two of his buddies there. We fished the same venue last week, but the flows have been significantlly reduced. Because of this venues proximity to the Barrage, a reduction in flow rate is evident almost immediately. I reckon the river level was down by at least 300mm. Because of the lower levels, a lot of gravel beds are now in the perfect depth for spawning fish, and the fish were going crazy spawning in the shallows. This in turn made fishing the first run practically impossible. But in the deep runs the fish were stiil hungry and were hitting the flies. I don't think anybody blanked, with the fish of the day being caught by Adrians buddy Mike, a beaut of a yellow, no smaller than 2kg!


 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal