Author Topic: Vaal River Update  (Read 566889 times)

0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline UrbanFF

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 108
  • Cred: 6
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Weltevredenpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #640 on: July 02, 2012, 08:39:01 AM »
Well done Herman, we also tried this weekend at Elgro and with 6 rods on Sat and 3 on Sun we only managed 3 solid hits but none netted .
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 08:39:49 AM by UrbanFF »

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #641 on: July 22, 2012, 05:13:19 PM »
With the beutifull weather of yesterday and the similar promised for today, I decided at the last minute to visit GVP today.  :-)
 
Gear was packed quickly and I hit the water around 11:00 after blowing up the boat etc. The wind was still quietish so I rowed down to where I had seen some action earlier. Threw a wooly bugger for 1/2 an hour in a 360 deg circle and nada.  :dunno:
 
Rowed up to the main outflow of the next pool, ( where there are 3 tail outs ), and fished all 3 with different buggers. Eventually got a bump on the trusty speetkop, but I think it took short, ( fly missing some marabou tail.! )
After another 15 minutes in the same area I rowed up to my favourite spot, and sat and watched.
 
Nothing on the surface whatsoever, threw the streamers where I got the last LM, but NADA. :dunno: 
 
Come 14:00 and the wind was pumping in gusts, ( AGAIN , so much for wind still balmy days in winter :unhap . )
 
At 14:30 after trying a few drifts ( out of desperation, ) with 2 drys in tandem, I decided it was time to go home.
 
I did notice 2 f/f who had entered at Strome and waded virtually all the way up to the bottom of GVP.  :shk  Couldn't see if they got anything though.
 
Vis was poor, for this time of the year ( around 20 cms ) and flows low enogh for me to see many rocks upriver that are normally submerged.
 
All in all another brilliant "learning" day on the Vaal in winter. w;k w;k
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 05:15:29 PM by Herman Jooste »
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline icstuff

  • The Ultimate Clown
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1105
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • It's the Water's fault!
  • Location: Meyerton
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #642 on: July 23, 2012, 07:46:16 AM »
Sorry about my poor wind prediction but Wind Guru lied to me :cnfzd
Squid Happens!

Offline Lichia amia

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #643 on: July 23, 2012, 10:15:37 AM »
Come on Summer !!!  :cry:
 
 

Offline icstuff

  • The Ultimate Clown
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1105
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • It's the Water's fault!
  • Location: Meyerton
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #644 on: July 23, 2012, 10:20:37 AM »
Come on Summer !!!  :cry:

Craig why not join us the weekend is the weather holds?
Summer is fun but you will be seriously tested in winter.
Squid Happens!

Offline UrbanFF

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 108
  • Cred: 6
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Weltevredenpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #645 on: July 23, 2012, 10:24:49 AM »
Come on Summer !!!  :cry:


Hi Garrick - I couldn't agree more -     :spinwheel: [size=78%]for[/size] :sshine:

Offline Lichia amia

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #646 on: July 23, 2012, 10:27:40 AM »
Come on Summer !!!  :cry:

Craig why not join us the weekend is the weather holds?
Summer is fun but you will be seriously tested in winter.

 :wtr:   Pietertjie , soon old Chap . Need to add a Yellow on a dry fly to my catch list  :happ:

Offline icstuff

  • The Ultimate Clown
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1105
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • It's the Water's fault!
  • Location: Meyerton
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #647 on: July 23, 2012, 10:38:03 AM »
I also need one of those!
Squid Happens!

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #648 on: July 30, 2012, 09:02:52 PM »
Not strictly the Vaal River, but Pieter and I visited a trib of the Vaal yesterday ( Sunday ) for a change of scenery.
 
It was f*****g cold early on with frost on the bonnet, WHILST we were driving ! :shk
 
Meanless to say that once we had stopped, the first things to be unloaded were the hip flasks,  w;k :-)
 
Got rigged up, whilst watching the water ( in between swigs from the flasks ) and headed off.
 
 Like a twit, I started on the wrong side of the stream and after fishing a point into a deep pool, realised I had to be on the other side, by the rocks. :blush:  Instead of walking back all the way to the bridge, I decided to wade over in the shallow rapids at the tail out of the pool, IN TRACK SHOES and SANS WADERS, or Wading staff,   :craz: duh  . I nearly saw my @rse about 4 times on a 5 meter wade in ankle deep water  :unhap , damn those rocks are slippery.  :-(
 
Eventually at my possie I started throwing Largie flys at every piece of structure in the pool I could reach, changing flies every 15 minutes or so. At arpund 11:00 I saw a rise to my left, and then a minute later again in the same spot. Changed fly to a dry and put it in the right spot, once, twice three times.
 
Then about 10 m across the pool I see a baitfish come out the water, tailwalking at a high rate of knots, with a V shaped "bow wave" of a LM just under the surface chasing it.  :shk
 
I got my line in, changed fly back to a streamer, and the fly in the water in less than 2 minutes.
 
Should not even have bothered  :blush: . That LM was by that time not in the area.
 
Score for the day was Fish 100, Herman 0.  :blush:   But that's winter at a venue you don't know.
 
Visibility was poor, at around 20 - 30 cm's. Flies used , virtually every one in all 4 fly boxes, dry's, beetles, hoppers, nymphs, caddis, wooley buggers, Go To's, damsels you name it.
 
Was it worth it ? Hell YES, a wonderfull stretch of water that definately needs to be expolred further, especially in early summer. w;k
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #649 on: August 12, 2012, 07:36:40 PM »
I haven't fished the Vaal for 3 weeks now  :unhap  and am getting serious withdrawl symtoms.
 
Seeing that we are coming close to summer tactics ( my pool temp has gone up 3 deg this week, in spite of the snow on Tuesday  :-) ), I decided to start replenishing a very depleted "summer" fly box.
 
So today I've tied : 4 x Black nymphs # 13 and 4 in # 16,( the secret Vaal recipe noggal ). and 4 x PTN Orange Hotspot in #14.'
 
Other flies in the plan are : Olive GRHE, Tan Caddis, Chartreuse caddis, Mustard caddis, #16 & 18 V rib caddis, and a few Copper Johns in various colours.
 
What are the other members plans for what one hopes will be a great summer?
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline UrbanFF

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 108
  • Cred: 6
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Weltevredenpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #650 on: August 12, 2012, 07:47:06 PM »
Hi Herman, Not quite an answer to your question but I will be taking an ARC to GVP tomorrow for one last bash at the LMYs - if I come right I'll post pictures and brag after the fly tying session at the TFTG so latish :)


I have a load of MSPs and Woolie buggers that still need to get wet.

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #651 on: August 12, 2012, 08:49:43 PM »
 :dunno:
Hi Herman, Not quite an answer to your question but I will be taking an ARC to GVP tomorrow for one last bash at the LMYs - if I come right I'll post pictures and brag after the fly tying session at the TFTG so latish :)


I have a load of MSPs and Woolie buggers that still need to get wet.

Eeiisshh Richard, fishing on a workday ???????????  :dunno:
 
A cold front come through VDB yesterday and today, with high, cold winds. ( Hence my not fishing)
 
Good Luck and tight lines, be prepared to row, and don't forget the corners I showed you on our last trip. w;k w;k
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #652 on: August 13, 2012, 07:45:28 AM »
I haven't fished the Vaal for 3 weeks now  :unhap  and am getting serious withdrawl symtoms.
 
Seeing that we are coming close to summer tactics ( my pool temp has gone up 3 deg this week, in spite of the snow on Tuesday  :-) ), I decided to start replenishing a very depleted "summer" fly box.
 
So today I've tied : 4 x Black nymphs # 13 and 4 in # 16,( the secret Vaal recipe noggal ). and 4 x PTN Orange Hotspot in #14.'
 
Other flies in the plan are : Olive GRHE, Tan Caddis, Chartreuse caddis, Mustard caddis, #16 & 18 V rib caddis, and a few Copper Johns in various colours.
 
What are the other members plans for what one hopes will be a great summer?

No Humpy's Favourites???  (bat  Best I get tying as well, my summer fly stocks are low!

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #653 on: August 14, 2012, 07:25:45 PM »
I haven't fished the Vaal for 3 weeks now  :unhap  and am getting serious withdrawl symtoms.
 
Seeing that we are coming close to summer tactics ( my pool temp has gone up 3 deg this week, in spite of the snow on Tuesday  :-) ), I decided to start replenishing a very depleted "summer" fly box.
 
So today I've tied : 4 x Black nymphs # 13 and 4 in # 16,( the secret Vaal recipe noggal ). and 4 x PTN Orange Hotspot in #14.'
 
Other flies in the plan are : Olive GRHE, Tan Caddis, Chartreuse caddis, Mustard caddis, #16 & 18 V rib caddis, and a few Copper Johns in various colours.
 
What are the other members plans for what one hopes will be a great summer?

No Humpy's Favourites???  (bat  Best I get tying as well, my summer fly stocks are low!

They are in the plan.  :crzy  Finally got some decent #8 & 10 hooks, so will be tying some up. Can't give away all the secrets now can we. :crzy w;k
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline UrbanFF

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 108
  • Cred: 6
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Weltevredenpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #654 on: August 15, 2012, 11:08:13 AM »
:dunno:
Hi Herman, Not quite an answer to your question but I will be taking an ARC to GVP tomorrow for one last bash at the LMYs - if I come right I'll post pictures and brag after the fly tying session at the TFTG so latish :)


I have a load of MSPs and Woolie buggers that still need to get wet.

Eeiisshh Richard, fishing on a workday ???????????  :dunno:
 
A cold front come through VDB yesterday and today, with high, cold winds. ( Hence my not fishing)
 
Good Luck and tight lines, be prepared to row, and don't forget the corners I showed you on our last trip. w;k w;k


We rowed all over , we fished hard but once again nothing to show for our efforts. The water was 8.5 deg flow was +- 20 cums and vis was OK, I did notice that even a GVP the water is very salty these days , not a good omen for the future, has any one else noticed this increase in salt ?
Watched a load of mayflies hatch and it was fascinating to us but clearly not to the SMYs :).
I left a number of flies in the river, taken by rock fish but other than that we got 0 attention.

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #655 on: August 16, 2012, 08:06:39 PM »
I haven't fished the Vaal for 3 weeks now  :unhap  and am getting serious withdrawl symtoms.
 
Seeing that we are coming close to summer tactics ( my pool temp has gone up 3 deg this week, in spite of the snow on Tuesday  :-) ), I decided to start replenishing a very depleted "summer" fly box.
 
So today I've tied : 4 x Black nymphs # 13 and 4 in # 16,( the secret Vaal recipe noggal ). and 4 x PTN Orange Hotspot in #14.'
 
Other flies in the plan are : Olive GRHE, Tan Caddis, Chartreuse caddis, Mustard caddis, #16 & 18 V rib caddis, and a few Copper Johns in various colours.
 
What are the other members plans for what one hopes will be a great summer?

Here is a pic of thr best Mustard Caddis I have ever tied :happ:
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #656 on: August 17, 2012, 07:24:06 AM »
 :bow: Super fly Herman!

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #657 on: August 20, 2012, 08:05:10 PM »
Thanks Rory.
 
With my pool temp up to 15 and the promise of little wind, I took a spur of the moment trip to GVP yesterday morning. Got there just before sunrise to a river looking like a mirror. Flat, shiny and NO rises.  :dunno: :dunno:
 
Got onto the water around 07:00 with the water temp around 13 ( I guess ).
Rowed up to my favourite spot and drifted a tandem of dries all over the place, hoping to bring a fish up from below.
 
 After about an hour of this, I decided to go big. Tied on a Spietkop on a # 8 hook, but didn"t cut off the 4X tippet, tied to the 12 lb Maxima leader. My first cast to the area where I got the LM 3 weeks ago and I get picked up, again on the drop. :happ:  Can't say for definate what it was 'cos the fight lasted a whole 30 seconds before I was snapped off on the tippet. :unhap :unhap . With the Scott 5# I have turned and landed 3.8kg SM this winter as well as 2.8 kg LM, and a 5.8kg Barbel,
Yesterday NO CHANCE, so I am assuming it was a biggish LM. :unhap :unhap . At least I know where it hangs out, and will be back in 2 weeks time, with straight 12lb Maxima.  w;k
 
The rest of the morning entailed rowing all over the place, fishing all likely tail outs, even the " muddie hole " with nearly every fly I had on me, BLANK.
 
Oh ya the vis was only about 25 cm's and guesss what, the " Rock Snot " has already started growing :unhap :unhap
 
Picking venues untill the first flush is going to be tricky. :crzy :crzy
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline Debbie

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 540
  • Cred: 55
  • Gender: Female
  • Location: Durban
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #658 on: August 20, 2012, 08:14:35 PM »
Herman what do you fish from? tough luck with the break off, that can be frustrating.

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #659 on: August 20, 2012, 09:45:52 PM »
Herman what do you fish from? tough luck with the break off, that can be frustrating.

Debbie, at GVP I use the ARK Croc 2 inflatable with the blow up floor. It's now 6 years old and has never let me down.  :-)  I actually bought it because the wading at GVP is really, really hard. It makes getting to far away spots so much quicker and easier w;k  I get to a spot in 10 minutes that would take a competent wader an hour to reach. :shk
 
As far as the break off, I only have myself to blame, I should have cut off the light tippet before attaching the fly. Stupid mistake. :blush: :blush:
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal