Author Topic: Vaal River Update  (Read 566964 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline icstuff

  • The Ultimate Clown
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1105
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • It's the Water's fault!
  • Location: Meyerton
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #520 on: January 30, 2012, 08:11:48 AM »
Thank you, I have to say it had some sores on its body and did not put up much of a fight, its friend that came of the hook 1min before took me for quite a run upriver before the hook pulled. Like Herman stated it was hooked on a black nymph. I almost went through all my flies before I put the black nymph on (I started with it) and then they started biting.

What herman did not mention is how cold it was, I had regrets about not wearing the wader before I entered the water. One of those "I did not want to look like a wimp" moments that you regret. Another thing that jinxed us was that herman did not fall once! - I did not even notice a slip and slide. Nico provided the fall of the day.
Squid Happens!

Offline Lichia amia

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #521 on: February 05, 2012, 09:02:40 PM »
 Rory, Icstuff, Herman Jooste and I fished the  Vaal this morning. The day turned out quite productive and Pieter/ Rory in  particular hammered the fish from the first casts. Herman was slightly less  lucky but managed to land a couple and was still smiling at the end of the  session. I on the other hand managed to hook the fish just to lose them at the  net which was more than frustrating to say the least.

But  as they say in “plank” “aanhouer wen” and I moved up about 70m from where I started  to deeper fast moving water. Still trying to puzzle out what I had been doing  wrong all morning and I went proper VAS !

After  a few very nervous minutes the beauty was in the net. The sweetest rewards  fishing the Vaal on the fly the ever elusive LARGEMOUTH YELLOW.
[font=][/font]
 
[font=][/font]
[font=][/font]
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 09:08:00 PM by Lichia amia »

wernerm

  • Guest
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #522 on: February 05, 2012, 10:10:33 PM »
 :cgrts:  on the nice catch.


I managed to loose my Vaal box this weekend. Over 150 odd flies. School fees paid "Never put all your eggs in one basket". As it stands not a single Caddis or nymph imitation on my name. Probably lost about 50 hours of tying.

Offline icstuff

  • The Ultimate Clown
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1105
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • It's the Water's fault!
  • Location: Meyerton
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #523 on: February 06, 2012, 07:58:08 AM »
I am even more jealous now that you have posted those pics, mine will come soon!
 
Squid Happens!

Offline shagnrelease

  • Banned
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #524 on: February 06, 2012, 08:21:06 AM »
well done craig!!

Offline Homie

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #525 on: February 06, 2012, 09:03:56 AM »
Awesome one Kallie !

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #526 on: February 06, 2012, 09:29:21 AM »
Awesome fish Craig!! :bow:   :resp:

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #527 on: February 06, 2012, 07:15:26 PM »
Brilliant fish Craig. :happ: :resp:   Now that's  :fshn:
 
 Just to see the elation on your face when Rory and I walked up to check the pics meant more to me than the 3 muddies I caught. :clwn
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #528 on: February 06, 2012, 09:42:14 PM »
:cgrts:  on the nice catch.


I managed to loose my Vaal box this weekend. Over 150 odd flies. School fees paid "Never put all your eggs in one basket". As it stands not a single Caddis or nymph imitation on my name. Probably lost about 50 hours of tying.

So where did you fish, and where is the report ??????
 
Bad luck on the fly box, happened to me before,  :unhap
 
It however gives you an excuse to buy more materials and tie up a storm.  :happ: :happ:
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #529 on: February 13, 2012, 07:28:57 PM »
I fished GVP yesterday, more to clear my mind than anything else. After rowing up and a half hour of shouting and releasing anger , I fished.
 
Could not find a yellow, even in all the best spots, with the Ark :cnfzd
 
Ended the morning with 8 muddies, biggest 2 were were 2.3 and 2.0 kg, and finally 2 silvers.
 
All in all a morning well spent. Very cathartic.  :-)
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline Lichia amia

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #530 on: February 13, 2012, 07:38:57 PM »
Fishing has to be the  best mind clearing therapy in the world. Sure Jan was there with you. Hold on to special memories.

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #531 on: February 13, 2012, 09:23:44 PM »
Fishing has to be the  best mind clearing therapy in the world. Sure Jan was there with you. Hold on to special memories.

You are so right Craig.
 
Just hope the people on the banks below couldn't hear my swearing early on.  :blush:
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #532 on: March 01, 2012, 09:14:29 PM »
Guys & Gals, :unhap
 
The Vaal below the Barrage is currently in a very sad state. There has been an Algea Bloom above the barrage in the Loch Vaal area which extends upriver to Millionaires Mile and Three Rivers.
 
The river under the N1 ( below the Barrage ) looks like a sluggish green snake. I feel that Harties could even be cleaner at this time.  :unhap
 
Fishing at venues below the barrage and above Potch will definately be affected. There is no (or very little hyacynth ) left after the last 2 years floods to clean the water.   
 
Rand Water atributes the "Bloom " to higher than normal water temps, and increased  nutrients ( read Sh** ) :unhap :unhap :unhap in the water. They say that when the water gets colder the algea will die, but then who wants to fish in winter woth dead algea everywhere.
 
I passed over the river on the N1 today and it looks worse than Harties at the dam wall. :unhap
 
SAVE( Save the Vaal Environment ) has put 2 local Municipal officials behind bars in the last 3 years for allowing pollution. They need your support as they use top class lawyers to put the bastawards responsible away.
 
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline Lichia amia

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #533 on: March 01, 2012, 10:15:38 PM »
Sad news !

How far down the Barrage will be affected? Planning a trip to oord Nebo on Sunday .

wernerm

  • Guest
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #534 on: March 01, 2012, 10:17:03 PM »
A sad state of affairs Herman, things are not looking good. I only wonder what this is going to do to the fish and aquatic populations. Things were looking up ever so briefly. I fear it is only going to get worse.

Offline Quickbite

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 178
  • Cred: 10
  • Location: JHB
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #535 on: March 02, 2012, 07:21:15 AM »
So any suggestions- where to fish this weeknd?? i am lost when it comes to upper and lower barrage?

Offline icstuff

  • The Ultimate Clown
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1105
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • It's the Water's fault!
  • Location: Meyerton
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #536 on: March 02, 2012, 07:36:29 AM »
QB you could always fish the Italians not sure what the real name is but it is the venue right below the vaal dam wall under the bridge. It is always fun to play troll :)
Squid Happens!

Offline Lichia amia

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #537 on: March 02, 2012, 07:41:09 AM »
QB you could always fish the Italians not sure what the real name is but it is the venue right below the vaal dam wall under the bridge. It is always fun to play troll :)

 :hyst:   
 

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #538 on: March 02, 2012, 04:18:27 PM »
Sad news !

How far down the Barrage will be affected? Planning a trip to oord Nebo on Sunday .

Craig, I have no idea of how far down will be affected. I would phone them and ask and hope that they reply truthfully.
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline Schallie

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 2
  • Cred: 0
  • Location: Klerksdorp, North West
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #539 on: March 02, 2012, 04:26:15 PM »
I was at Komando drift a couple of weeks ago and even there things weren't looking good.

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal