Author Topic: Lets talk about Spinning Reels...  (Read 6442 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Lets talk about Spinning Reels...
« on: October 19, 2013, 08:08:48 AM »
My sessions are around 5 hours at a time.


The two rods I use are my 9ft Ugly stick with 4000 Stradic and 10lbs Fire Line and then the 10ft Adrenaline with the 6000 Sustain.


Now most of the setups I have seen here guys are talking about the 5000 size reel for spinning.


What size spinning reel do you prefer for casting 1.5 to 3 Oz lures and why?


Speed on the retrieve is also important. Getting more strikes at the moment with lures moving really fast.






Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Lets talk about Spinning Reels...
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 11:59:22 AM »
Definitely the 5000's ON THE 10FT Gerhard. The Sustain and Stradic 5000's have a ratio of 6.2:1 compared to the 4.8:1 of the 6000's. That's quite a big difference and a lot less work doing a fast retrieve.
yOUR 4000 on the 9ft should be fine. Also has a ratio of 6.2:1

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Re: Lets talk about Spinning Reels...
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 01:26:35 PM »
Thanks Mr T.


I am happy with the 6000 but might want to get a 2nd long distance spinning rig and might put a 5000 Sustain on the 11ft rod for surface lures and use the 6000 on a 11ft rod for sub surface laures that you work a bit slower like a stick bait or buck tail jig.

Offline Shivaan

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 566
  • Cred: 15
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban, Queensburgh
Re: Lets talk about Spinning Reels...
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 03:07:19 PM »
What size reel would be a preferred choice for a 12ft shimano vengeance for spinning?

Offline Lenny

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2529
  • Cred: 124
  • Gender: Male
  • Catch and Release
  • Location: Struisbaai
Re: Lets talk about Spinning Reels...
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 01:28:40 PM »
What size reel would be a preferred choice for a 12ft shimano vengeance for spinning?


LEts ask Reefman ...
Self catering , family accommodation available  in Struisbaai . Contact Leon 0780394225

Offline Lenny

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2529
  • Cred: 124
  • Gender: Male
  • Catch and Release
  • Location: Struisbaai
Re: Lets talk about Spinning Reels...
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 01:51:20 PM »
Gerhard I fish a , Stradic 4000 with 20lbs Fireline with a 9 Foot custom . I wanted to opt for 15 lbs[I had 10lbs On but was a bit light for my liking ] and should have , as I can cast off all the Braid on the outfit using a 2.5 ounce plug , Not ideal AT all , but beefy enough for when I go out to sea for Yellowtail .


And a 8'2 custom on a 2500 symetre with 10lbs Powerpro  , Its a really light stick , so I can cast small lures really far , this is my main outfit for Throwing Paddletails for Kob , and small surface lures for Elf and Leervis .


As our area dont hold the fast feeders like Kingies and Queenies ECT , Gear ratio isnt much of a problem , as we just hop our paddletails along slowly .
Self catering , family accommodation available  in Struisbaai . Contact Leon 0780394225

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Re: Lets talk about Spinning Reels...
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 02:31:07 PM »
Thanks Lenny.


On the 4000 Stradic the 10lbs works great for me but then I only cast upto 1.5 oz.


I have caught some good fish on the 10lbs fire line in the past. But thats from a boat will see how it goes from the rocks. Good thing is that from the rocks a 1.5 oz travels a mile with the 10lbs braid.

Offline Lenny

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2529
  • Cred: 124
  • Gender: Male
  • Catch and Release
  • Location: Struisbaai
Re: Lets talk about Spinning Reels...
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2013, 06:27:53 PM »
Thanks Lenny.


On the 4000 Stradic the 10lbs works great for me but then I only cast upto 1.5 oz.


I have caught some good fish on the 10lbs fire line in the past. But thats from a boat will see how it goes from the rocks. Good thing is that from the rocks a 1.5 oz travels a mile with the 10lbs braid.


I have fished alot with ,also from the boat  the 10 lbs ,was fine for bay fishing with baits , but for spinning for Tail not ideal , considering the size spinner we castt for them .  but I just felt , that should that PB smash you , I would have a bit more of a fighting chance , but my Problem is now that theres not enough 20lbs on there, should a fish run a long way , I am stuffed ... On the Spool Of mine It's 170 Yards of 20 lbs Powerpro , I have not compared the Diameters but I can assure you theres now way theres 170 Yards  of the 20 Fireline .  So I will have to get some 15lbs Fireline , should be the way to go .
Self catering , family accommodation available  in Struisbaai . Contact Leon 0780394225

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Re: Lets talk about Spinning Reels...
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2013, 06:41:25 PM »
I agree that for yellow tail 10# is a bit light.


I would then go for the 5000 for extra capacity on 20#.


You should cast a 2oz easy 80m with a 9ft rod from the boat with enough left on the reel to not worry about a big one smoking you...

Offline Lenny

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2529
  • Cred: 124
  • Gender: Male
  • Catch and Release
  • Location: Struisbaai
Re: Lets talk about Spinning Reels...
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2013, 08:05:47 PM »
I agree that for yellow tail 10# is a bit light.


I would then go for the 5000 for extra capacity on 20#.


You should cast a 2oz easy 80m with a 9ft rod from the boat with enough left on the reel to not worry about a big one smoking you...


I am forsure after a 5000 Sustain , but ai , 'just cant get myself to buy one , as I , Would end up buying another rod and Braid too , then were already talking about 4k . Hopefully Father xmas will bring me one ...lol
Self catering , family accommodation available  in Struisbaai . Contact Leon 0780394225

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Lets talk about Spinning Reels...
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2013, 09:42:37 PM »
What size reel would be a preferred choice for a 12ft shimano vengeance for spinning?

Shimano size 5500 (Ultegra - what I use, because it has a long cast spool) or 6000 Sustain.

Offline Shivaan

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 566
  • Cred: 15
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban, Queensburgh
Re: Lets talk about Spinning Reels...
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2013, 07:53:46 AM »
Thanks Reefs. now to save up for a sustain  :hnthnt:

Offline Poenskop

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 455
  • Cred: 35
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Port Elizabeth
Re: Lets talk about Spinning Reels...
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2013, 08:22:56 AM »
I've got the 500 Sustain on my 10'3 ft spinning rod. It feels balanced and it is a lot lighter than my 6000. It helps for that extended sessions.

Offline Lenny

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2529
  • Cred: 124
  • Gender: Male
  • Catch and Release
  • Location: Struisbaai
Re: Lets talk about Spinning Reels...
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2013, 09:26:06 AM »
What size reel would be a preferred choice for a 12ft shimano vengeance for spinning?

Shimano size 5500 (Ultegra - what I use, because it has a long cast spool) or 6000 Sustain.




Price check on the Ultegra , Tony ?
Self catering , family accommodation available  in Struisbaai . Contact Leon 0780394225

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Lets talk about Spinning Reels...
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2013, 09:43:02 AM »
What size reel would be a preferred choice for a 12ft shimano vengeance for spinning?

Shimano size 5500 (Ultegra - what I use, because it has a long cast spool) or 6000 Sustain.





Price check on the Ultegra , Tony ?

Check www.basilmanning.co.za? About R2200?

Offline carll

  • Spin a Holic
  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 263
  • Cred: 11
  • Gender: Male
Re: Lets talk about Spinning Reels...
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2013, 10:27:57 AM »
Hi Gerhard

I would definitely go for a 5000 on the 10ft. I have a 5000 Sustain on my Assassin Amia 11ft and its well balance and light weight

and can spin for the hole day. I'm also experience a big deference in the higher retrieving ratio of 6.2.1,its much easier to work

the lure's and my Iron Candy spoons now.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 10:29:11 AM by carll »

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Re: Lets talk about Spinning Reels...
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2013, 12:03:56 PM »
Hi Gerhard

I would definitely go for a 5000 on the 10ft. I have a 5000 Sustain on my Assassin Amia 11ft and its well balance and light weight

and can spin for the hole day. I'm also experience a big deference in the higher retrieving ratio of 6.2.1,its much easier to work

the lure's and my Iron Candy spoons now.


What lure weight do you cast on the Amia?


I am thinking to get one and pair it with a 5000 Sustain and 20# braid to launch a 2oz lure well over 100m from the rocks...


At this stage I am very happy with the 6000's performance but will test the 5000 after thefeed back here...

Offline peterblace

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1151
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Mozambique - Maputo
Re: Lets talk about Spinning Reels...
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2013, 12:10:15 PM »
there is a very nice article on spinning wheels on the latest edition of sport fishing magazine

I will check how I will be able to share with you guys

Offline devesh.r

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 51
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: JHB.Lenasia
Re: Lets talk about Spinning Reels...
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2013, 10:12:13 PM »
Hey guys i have a daiwa exceler 9'6 ft, I'm planning on putting a daiwa podcast 4000A on it.

Will that be fine for dropshot and and spinning.

Offline Cam Mundy

  • Offshore Spinning Enthusiast
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1178
  • Cred: 93
  • Gender: Male
  • Keep Casting!
  • Location: Papua New Gunea
Re: Lets talk about Spinning Reels...
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2013, 03:44:50 AM »
Definitely the 5000's ON THE 10FT Gerhard. The Sustain and Stradic 5000's have a ratio of 6.2:1 compared to the 4.8:1 of the 6000's. That's quite a big difference and a lot less work doing a fast retrieve.
yOUR 4000 on the 9ft should be fine. Also has a ratio of 6.2:1

The much bigger spool size of the shimano 6000 will make up quite a bit for the slower retrieve rate don't you think?  Your bail arm may be doing less trips around the spool but its laying down more line than the 4k  on each rotatio due to the difference in spool diameter. I find most 4 k reels a pain to spin with and 6ks are a little bit to strong for most encounters from the shore a quality 5 k loaded with pe1.5 or 2 will cover most situations from shore or boat.

Now that gerhards rolling in those Saudi pertrol dollarrs he must get himself a stella 5k ha ha

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal