Author Topic: Using a Braid leader for Casting  (Read 259466 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Spud

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 36
  • Cred: 4
  • Gender: Male
  • Grumpy Old man
  • Location: Randburg / Ballito
Re: Using Braid leaders for Casting
« Reply #60 on: January 01, 2015, 02:08:16 PM »
Thanks guys, OK so I think those recipes will work , 30 pd braid, 50 pd braid leader, 1 m flouracarbin I am going to use Uni knots on all, if I join Uni knots when bass fishing I pull up tree stumps  :nuts: so am going with that. (clap)
Don't fall in the shark tank 🔞🔞🔞

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Using Braid leaders for Casting
« Reply #61 on: January 01, 2015, 04:41:08 PM »
Moola, the knots I recommend are in the first post of this thread... it's always worthwhile doing it properly.

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Using Braid leaders for Casting
« Reply #62 on: January 03, 2015, 08:30:55 PM »
So I finally got round to making that Video that explains how to do it....

This one's for Charles!

Make a Casting Braid leader

Offline colin

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 752
  • Cred: 13
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Kelland , Randburg
Re: Using Braid leaders for Casting
« Reply #63 on: January 03, 2015, 09:39:51 PM »
 :tkx: that was so easy to follow.  :win: Colin.  :toppie:
My wife allows me to keep all the fishing tackle I can hide.

Offline GT

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 38
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban, KZN
Re: Using Braid leaders for Casting
« Reply #64 on: January 03, 2015, 11:17:43 PM »
Thanks Reefs.  :udman: . Will be using this on my heavy setup.
 :win:    :win: :win:

Offline Lofty

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1474
  • Cred: 79
  • Gender: Male
  • dis lekker by die see...
  • Location: Cape Town
Re: Using Braid leaders for Casting
« Reply #65 on: January 04, 2015, 08:20:48 PM »
well explained Reefs,will try and use it,but where do I find,say a 4m length of 40lb braid leader(20lb mainline braid)without having to buy 375yrds for R400+... :cnfzd :hehe:
Always be humble...

Offline Haroldg

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 159
  • Cred: 7
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban
Re: Using Braid leaders for Casting
« Reply #66 on: January 04, 2015, 10:05:57 PM »
Can't get much clearer than this Tony... :+ cred:  I think a lot more people than Charles will benefit from this. Thanks for the effort.

Offline Half-Pint

  • CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3712
  • Cred: 223
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Boksburg
Re: Using Braid leaders for Casting
« Reply #67 on: January 05, 2015, 08:26:32 AM »
well explained Reefs,will try and use it,but where do I find,say a 4m length of 40lb braid leader(20lb mainline braid)without having to buy 375yrds for R400+... :cnfzd :hehe:

JDB do a "surf leader" basically just smaller rolls of braid. Normally 150m I think. CHeck out Basil Manning

Offline allsorts

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 101
  • Cred: 9
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Lakeside, Cape Town
Re: Using Braid leaders for Casting
« Reply #68 on: January 05, 2015, 08:45:48 AM »
The Kingfisher in Durban sells small packets of heavy Whiplash braid for making casting leaders - at a guess it's 80lbs and there's enough in there to make several leaders.

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Using Braid leaders for Casting
« Reply #69 on: January 05, 2015, 09:34:50 AM »
Or just mix and match with your mates...  :hnthnt:

Offline Spud

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 36
  • Cred: 4
  • Gender: Male
  • Grumpy Old man
  • Location: Randburg / Ballito
Re: Using Braid leaders for Casting
« Reply #70 on: January 06, 2015, 07:45:21 PM »
Thanks reefs watched that vidio made a lot of sense, also so did Gerald's  :tkx:
Don't fall in the shark tank 🔞🔞🔞

Offline kevf

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 677
  • Cred: 19
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: underberg,kzn
Re: Using Braid leaders for Casting
« Reply #71 on: July 19, 2015, 05:13:07 PM »
Reefs, are you still using this setup for your leader? I find my tag end on the loop of the heavy leader slips on the last stitch and the tag frays and interferes with the casting, slowing the lure down and causing wind knots. :dunno: ive got 25lb gosen and using 50lb as the leader, FG knot an option? 
its cruiser country

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Using Braid leaders for Casting
« Reply #72 on: July 19, 2015, 08:21:04 PM »
When the tag frays, just trim it. Ya the fg knot is definitely an option. I'm considering using it. Going to try it with a long fluoro leader... when I get my new grinder setup.

Offline Haroldg

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 159
  • Cred: 7
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban
Re: Using Braid leaders for Casting
« Reply #73 on: July 19, 2015, 09:43:18 PM »
After trying all sorts of knots over many years I can't find anything that comes close to the FG "knot" (no real knot present) for me. This is on a 5000 size grinder and 10' rod.  I must admit that when someone first showed it to me I was very skeptical but that's now history. I've tried tying it various ways including this way but find that if I need to do this on the beach then doing the wraps loosely and tightening up every five or so is a lot easier.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjzUb5QRKuk


Reefs - I'd be keen to hear how a full length leader using a FG knot works for you. I've found that if you intend wrapping the leader a turn or two around the spool the stiff end of the leader at the join interferes with the cast as it unwinds. I know your reasons for going full length leaders but what I've found is that if you keep the join a few centimeters outside the spool you can still get your back into the cast as there's plenty of leader to absorb the shock? To my mind the first meter or so of leader around the top guide takes most of the punishment?






 

Offline A007M21

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 9
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Female
  • Location: George, Western Cape
Re: Using Braid leaders for Casting
« Reply #74 on: February 16, 2016, 09:59:38 PM »
Hi Reefman.

Just discovered this post and would like to know if it would be better to use this tanaka splice / braid splice to join backing braid to braid topshot on heavier surf grinder setups? (30lb to 30lb and 50lb to 50lb)

ie: splice backing braid, splice topshot braid and then join with catspaw.

Another question - what's your thoughts on the alberto knot for joining a mono leader to braid topshot? (30lb braid to .80 mono)

Thanks
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 10:00:16 PM by A007M21 »

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Using Braid leaders for Casting
« Reply #75 on: February 17, 2016, 06:10:56 AM »
If you're going to go to the trouble of splicing both the backing and mainline, then rather splice them into each other, without having to knot. Stitch the mainline into the backing, then stitch the backing into the mainline. This is the best join by far.

The Alberto knot is the same as a Modified Albright knot. It's an ok knot. But there are better: PR Knot, FG Knot; Fig 8 to Uni; Yucatan.

Offline Psy

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 198
  • Cred: 5
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Bathurst EC
Re: Using Braid leaders for Casting
« Reply #76 on: March 24, 2016, 03:05:46 AM »
 :tkx:                              Reefman                         
 
 :win: post!
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Using Braid leaders for Casting
« Reply #77 on: March 24, 2016, 05:45:56 AM »
Shot Psy. Where you been?? :wlcmbk

Offline Psy

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 198
  • Cred: 5
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Bathurst EC
Re: Using Braid leaders for Casting
« Reply #78 on: March 24, 2016, 08:27:13 AM »
 :toppie:  still walking the beaches and fishing where and when i can, one learns a new thing everyday.


 :shmno:
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

Offline PatrickH

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 116
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Be the difference you want to see
  • Location: Cape Town Western Cape
Re: Using Braid leaders for Casting
« Reply #79 on: June 02, 2016, 11:29:18 AM »
Hi Reefs,
A great idea. I use an old Exceller 9ft that has very small guides after the first 2 . I stitched 50lb suffix as a loop and attached it with a 3 turn modified catspaw to my bimini in the 301b suffix.
However it clatters through the eyes and reduced my casting distance by about 10%.
I presume that you guys don't have this problem because of bigger diameter eyes or am I missing something.

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal