0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Hi Reefs Thanks for another brilliant postJust wondering, will your suggested setup work with the microwave system ? I'm using the Sierra 330h paired with a Sustain 5000 loaded with 30lbs Jigman. Still donating those expensive lures to the ocean.
Hi GerhardNot really sure. Was advised by Barry Wareham to use it some time ago. I'm using a Siglon florocarbon leader attached with an Albright that Barry personally taught me. I'm throwing 1 to 2 ounce lures. Still breaking off !!! Very very frustrating when you trying to do everything by the book. By the way, where do you fish in Saudi ?
I'm quite new to the shore spinning game so this thread has been helpful. The mainline to FC shock set-up nearly cost me a yellowtail of the rocks so after that I changed to a stitched set-up - Gosen PE 2 looped to 40lb Whiplash. I found that stitching the Gosen wasn't hard with proper ou ballie specs. I am not 100% sure about using a straight loop instead of a catspaw but a post I read on an overseas thread (think it was tuna popping) made the point that a doubled loop only has to be 50% efficient to work and with a catspaw there was more chance of a slip which could lead to a burn-off. Anyway I don't pretend to have the experience to make a call but it is an interesting point.Not wanting to name drop I happened to be fishing yesterday with Barry (unfortunately the yellowtail were thin on the ground) and he showed me 2 leader setups he is using which might be of interest. He is currently experimenting with nanofil to see if using a full length braid leader will prolong nanofil's life. Anyone who has used it shore based knows it frays very quickly with extended use. Time will tell. The other thing he showed me on his heavy outfit was PE4 FG'd to a rod + 1/2 length heavily-waxed JGB braided leader material (100lb I think). This was done particularly with yellowtail off the rocks in mind (Krantz etc) - I've never seen a braid to braid FG before. As a sidebar I got to handle the new heavy spinning rod he is testing (PE3-5, 2-4 oz) - it's impressive and he said it would easily pass the Cape Town Tail test - i.e. to lift and swing a 10lb Tail onto the rocks.
Quote from: GT on December 29, 2014, 11:44:18 PMHi Reefs Thanks for another brilliant postJust wondering, will your suggested setup work with the microwave system ? I'm using the Sierra 330h paired with a Sustain 5000 loaded with 30lbs Jigman. Still donating those expensive lures to the ocean. I have Microwave guides on my Amia and use the Braided leader on this setup. The knots, as you can see in the pic, are minute, barely wider than the diameter of the braid. I don't have any issues at all with this setup. But the Sierra might be different? Try it on the practice field casting some inexpensive sinkers and see if it works for you?
Gerhard , Reefs and Carll. Thanks for all the responses. It's off to the playground For me. Gerhard , which version of the FG knot do you use ? I saw quite a few on YoutubeKindly post a link if possible. Barry told me he uses the FG as we'll. but he also said " it's a very difficult knot" !!!
Gerhard, a gazillion . After a few attempts I finally got the FG right. Amazingly super slim and equally strong. Definitely my go to knot for joining braid to leader from now on. Im calling it My Knot !