Author Topic: what fly line?  (Read 8408 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline dodger

  • always willing to help
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1736
  • Cred: 164
  • Gender: Male
  • poverty is hereditary, you get it from your kids
  • Location: Alberton Gauteng
what fly line?
« on: August 09, 2013, 05:27:19 PM »
 I have been trolling through the cupboards to find my fly fishing stuff getting ready for Jozini in September


I have been cleaning the lines and sadly a couple have got some cracks in, I'm not sure if they can be repaired?


What I have is
  • Elbe 5/6 wt with a Stealth CAS1 reel, a couple of floating lines,
  • Stealth 9067 6/7 wt paired with a Daiwa Sensor fly reel, the 7wt sinking line is cracked and I have no idea what it is regarding sink rate? My DT 7wt  XFS line has a repair in it but the WF7 floating line is fine
  • Silstar Pinnacle PX90FL 9/10 wt, paired with a Pfleuger medalist 15951/2 RC loaded with a 9wt sinking line of unknown ancestry, but in good condition.
for Jozini I want to take the 5/6 to play with the kurper, I have a couple of WF 6 floating lines but maybe a sinking line as well? what's the recommendation.


I will also take the 6/7 wt for tiggers but I need a new line, what's the recommendation?


I will probably leave the 9/10wt at home


Strangely enough I also found half of a Pflueger medalist 1595, the backing plate and reel mount is misssing?







when I die, may my wife not sell my fishing tackle for what I told her I paid for it... and I have bought more, a severe case of TA

Offline icstuff

  • The Ultimate Clown
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1105
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • It's the Water's fault!
  • Location: Meyerton
Re: what fly line?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 07:32:23 PM »
Look at the airflo six sense range for intermediate and sinking line. I have not fished with it yet but the people representing SA in Norway recommends it.

I am buying an airflo super dr in the morning and will then be able to comment on it.
Squid Happens!

Offline Capt. Hook

  • Official ball thrower for my dog
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3140
  • Cred: 338
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
Re: what fly line?
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 09:31:25 AM »
I like using intermediate and sinking lines for tigers, anything less than a 6wt wont stop a good size tigger

Offline dodger

  • always willing to help
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1736
  • Cred: 164
  • Gender: Male
  • poverty is hereditary, you get it from your kids
  • Location: Alberton Gauteng
Re: what fly line?
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 09:53:33 AM »
I like using intermediate and sinking lines for tigers, anything less than a 6wt wont stop a good size tigger


thanks Mike, I was thinking of an XFS 7 wt. I wouldn't think you would need lead core?
when I die, may my wife not sell my fishing tackle for what I told her I paid for it... and I have bought more, a severe case of TA

Offline Capt. Hook

  • Official ball thrower for my dog
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3140
  • Cred: 338
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
Re: what fly line?
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 10:05:31 AM »
Dodger, it depends where in the dam you are fishing.
If you fishing the river section or the edges of the main dam a floating or preferably an intermediate line is ideal as you are fishing shallow waters and generally a faster retrieve is better with light and bright colour flies.
If you fishing the certain structures in the main dam or the gorge which has those steep banks going straight down to deep water  you will need a fast sinking or even a lead core line to get down as you will be fishing 8m plus depth and generally a slow retrieve with darker colour flies works well.
I also use about a 10cm no.4 or 5 wire in front of my flies for tigers.
I will use a 6wt for smaller flies, but the ideal rod for the right sized flies at Jozini is a 9wt and you will not push those large deceivers with anything smaller. I even use a 12wt for some of the very large flies I use. U need to cast the distance to get the results.

Offline Capt. Hook

  • Official ball thrower for my dog
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3140
  • Cred: 338
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
Re: what fly line?
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2013, 10:10:11 AM »
You should also use fly lines rated for tropical waters as Jozini is warm water, if you use river or general freshwater lines that are rated for cold water you will have a lot of memory problems with the line making casting very difficult.
The Airflo GT or Bonefish intermediate lines are my favourite.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 10:12:22 AM by Capt. Hook »

Offline dodger

  • always willing to help
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1736
  • Cred: 164
  • Gender: Male
  • poverty is hereditary, you get it from your kids
  • Location: Alberton Gauteng
Re: what fly line?
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2013, 10:32:55 AM »
You should also use fly lines rated for tropical waters as Jozini is warm water, if you use river or general freshwater lines that are rated for cold water you will have a lot of memory problems with the line making casting very difficult.
The Airflo GT or Bonefish intermediate lines are my favourite.


that's interesting Mike, I never thought of temperature
when I die, may my wife not sell my fishing tackle for what I told her I paid for it... and I have bought more, a severe case of TA

Offline Corks

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 76
  • Cred: 28
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: PMB
Re: what fly line?
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2013, 10:57:23 AM »
That reel brings back memories Dodger, used to fish with them when I was knee high to a grasshopper.  Never fished for tigers but I swear by courtland 444, absolutely zero memory
Be the change you want to see in the world.

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: what fly line?
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2013, 12:56:26 PM »
That reel brings back memories Dodger, used to fish with them when I was knee high to a grasshopper.  Never fished for tigers but I swear by courtland 444, absolutely zero memory

Interesting about the Cortland 444, Corks. I tried it on the Vaal for 2 seasons and was bitterly disappointed. It had the memory of a "slinky" especially in winter, where we are fishing water temps of 10deg and air temps ranging from -3 to 17 in the same day.
The tip cracked after 30 odd trips and the floater never floated properly.
 
For the Vaal I know only use either an Elbe line ( if I can find it  :cnfzd ) or an Aquanova 5# floater for 160 rond from Sportsman's warehouse. The Aquanova has zero memory in cold conditions and even less when it's warmer. This line has not cracked in 3 years of constant use and still floats like a cork. w;k
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline Corks

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 76
  • Cred: 28
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: PMB
Re: what fly line?
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2013, 04:40:19 PM »
Interesting to hear Herman, only fly fishing I do is still water trout and mostly on sinking or intermediate and have had one sinking last over 10 years. Also don't fish I n water below 12 deg
Be the change you want to see in the world.

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: what fly line?
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2013, 08:14:50 PM »
Interesting to hear Herman, only fly fishing I do is still water trout and mostly on sinking or intermediate and have had one sinking last over 10 years. Also don't fish I n water below 12 deg

Aah ok, that explains it then. w;k Any line will take a beating on the Vaal, especially in summer when you are fishing in between the rocks and the fish will scrape your line all over the place.
In my limited experience Aquanova is still the best value for money line.
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline dodger

  • always willing to help
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1736
  • Cred: 164
  • Gender: Male
  • poverty is hereditary, you get it from your kids
  • Location: Alberton Gauteng
Re: what fly line?
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2013, 04:02:39 PM »
I have been looking at new lines and have more or lest settled on a new Aquanova  7wt & 9wt WF intermediate lines, what should I do about the leader and tippet? :cnfzd
when I die, may my wife not sell my fishing tackle for what I told her I paid for it... and I have bought more, a severe case of TA

Offline Capt. Hook

  • Official ball thrower for my dog
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3140
  • Cred: 338
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
Re: what fly line?
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2013, 04:03:51 PM »
I have been looking at new lines and have more or lest settled on a new Aquanova  7wt & 9wt WF intermediate lines, what should I do about the leader and tippet? :cnfzd
Tie them on and go fishing  :crzy
Fit a loop onto the end of the fly line ( I use 50lb Dacron), then use a single piece mono leader 2-2.5m of 15-17lb, and for tigers I would not use a tippet as you will tie onto no.3 wire which will go to your fly
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 04:07:28 PM by Capt. Hook »

Offline dodger

  • always willing to help
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1736
  • Cred: 164
  • Gender: Male
  • poverty is hereditary, you get it from your kids
  • Location: Alberton Gauteng
Re: what fly line?
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2013, 04:06:03 PM »
I have been looking at new lines and have more or lest settled on a new Aquanova  7wt & 9wt WF intermediate lines, what should I do about the leader and tippet? :cnfzd
Tie them on and go fishing  :crzy




Never though of that (bat
when I die, may my wife not sell my fishing tackle for what I told her I paid for it... and I have bought more, a severe case of TA

Offline icstuff

  • The Ultimate Clown
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1105
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • It's the Water's fault!
  • Location: Meyerton
Re: what fly line?
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2013, 04:06:45 PM »
I have been looking at new lines and have more or lest settled on a new Aquanova  7wt & 9wt WF intermediate lines, what should I do about the leader and tippet? :cnfzd

What ever you want!
Look at a tapered leader or just tie normal mono, remember that you are going to use wire on your flies!
Squid Happens!

Offline dodger

  • always willing to help
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1736
  • Cred: 164
  • Gender: Male
  • poverty is hereditary, you get it from your kids
  • Location: Alberton Gauteng
Re: what fly line?
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2013, 04:28:47 PM »
I have been looking at new lines and have more or lest settled on a new Aquanova  7wt & 9wt WF intermediate lines, what should I do about the leader and tippet? :cnfzd

What ever you want!
Look at a tapered leader or just tie normal mono, remember that you are going to use wire on your flies!


Thanks, I have been looking on the web and there is some difference in the length of the leader some 4'-0'' some 9'-0''. I would go for fluoro carbon, but, connecting to the fly line, is it best to use use a braided loop or nail knot?
when I die, may my wife not sell my fishing tackle for what I told her I paid for it... and I have bought more, a severe case of TA

Offline Capt. Hook

  • Official ball thrower for my dog
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3140
  • Cred: 338
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
Re: what fly line?
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2013, 04:31:52 PM »
I have been looking at new lines and have more or lest settled on a new Aquanova  7wt & 9wt WF intermediate lines, what should I do about the leader and tippet? :cnfzd

What ever you want!
Look at a tapered leader or just tie normal mono, remember that you are going to use wire on your flies!


Thanks, I have been looking on the web and there is some difference in the length of the leader some 4'-0'' some 9'-0''. I would go for fluoro carbon, but, connecting to the fly line, is it best to use use a braided loop or nail knot?
I prefer the braided loop, makes life much easier for that kind of fly fishing. You not drifting tiny flies on a 2wt in a stream where line drag is critical.
Connect you leader to the wire directly and use a tiny split ring to change flies
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 04:32:22 PM by Capt. Hook »

Offline dodger

  • always willing to help
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1736
  • Cred: 164
  • Gender: Male
  • poverty is hereditary, you get it from your kids
  • Location: Alberton Gauteng
Re: what fly line?
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2013, 04:33:27 PM »
I have been looking at new lines and have more or lest settled on a new Aquanova  7wt & 9wt WF intermediate lines, what should I do about the leader and tippet? :cnfzd

What ever you want!
Look at a tapered leader or just tie normal mono, remember that you are going to use wire on your flies!


Thanks, I have been looking on the web and there is some difference in the length of the leader some 4'-0'' some 9'-0''. I would go for fluoro carbon, but, connecting to the fly line, is it best to use use a braided loop or nail knot?
I prefer the braided loop, makes life much easier for that kind of fly fishing. You not drifting tiny flies on a 2wt in a stream where line drag is critical.
Connect you leader to the wire directly and use a tiny split ring to change flies


Thanks Mike, like the split ring idea, but what length of leader should I load?
when I die, may my wife not sell my fishing tackle for what I told her I paid for it... and I have bought more, a severe case of TA

Offline Capt. Hook

  • Official ball thrower for my dog
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3140
  • Cred: 338
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
Re: what fly line?
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2013, 04:36:51 PM »
I have been looking at new lines and have more or lest settled on a new Aquanova  7wt & 9wt WF intermediate lines, what should I do about the leader and tippet? :cnfzd

What ever you want!
Look at a tapered leader or just tie normal mono, remember that you are going to use wire on your flies!


Thanks, I have been looking on the web and there is some difference in the length of the leader some 4'-0'' some 9'-0''. I would go for fluoro carbon, but, connecting to the fly line, is it best to use use a braided loop or nail knot?
I prefer the braided loop, makes life much easier for that kind of fly fishing. You not drifting tiny flies on a 2wt in a stream where line drag is critical.
Connect you leader to the wire directly and use a tiny split ring to change flies


Thanks Mike, like the split ring idea, but what length of leader should I load?
Personally I would use only 1.5-2m, you need to cast far for tigers and the flies are large, longer leaders will hinder that, the shorter leader will give you much better control in your cast.
I use a 600mm bimini loop or spyder hitch in my leader to connect to the fly line loop and then another 1m and then 10cm no 3 wire with a small loop and the split ring
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 04:37:57 PM by Capt. Hook »

Offline Capt. Hook

  • Official ball thrower for my dog
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3140
  • Cred: 338
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
Re: what fly line?
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2013, 04:41:18 PM »
I also make all my leaders before fishing with the wire and split ring all in place, then its simple to just add the leader to the fly line loop with a double cats pawl.
I want to fish when on the water and optimise my fishing time, not work with terminal tackle and try tying knots on a rocking boat in the wind

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal