Author Topic: What rod ?  (Read 6743 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Homie

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
What rod ?
« on: July 25, 2013, 12:04:18 PM »
Howsit guys...

Im looking to upgrade a bit...

currently have a Stealth 5/6 wt and want something a bit better....

I will be using this mainly for stillwater  :trout: and some Yellows on the Vaal

My thoughts are a 9ft 5wt......

Now there are a heck of a lot of rods out there, most cost an arm and a leg....

Whats the recommendations ???
Cant afford a Hardy or Sage just yet.....

Offline Lichia amia

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: What rod ?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 12:06:19 PM »
Budget ?????

Offline Homie

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: What rod ?
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 12:07:29 PM »

Offline Lichia amia

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: What rod ?
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 12:15:02 PM »
Budget ?????

Around 2k....

4's add another 500 -800 Bucks and you are in for the :
 
1) Stealth Infinty +/- R2800
2) Xplorer Guide II +/- R2200
3) Grays Streamflex +/- R2500
 

Offline Homie

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: What rod ?
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 12:17:09 PM »
Im leaning towards the Guide 2....

And for the price you quoted, I'll also get a reel and line !  :crzy

Ive just been wary, as the guys reckon they "exploders"  :dunno:

Offline Lichia amia

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: What rod ?
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 12:18:40 PM »
Im leaning towards the Guide 2....

And for the price you quoted, I'll also get a reel and line !

We all dont have a Uncle in the fishing business  :unhap

Offline icstuff

  • The Ultimate Clown
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1105
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • It's the Water's fault!
  • Location: Meyerton
Re: What rod ?
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 12:26:57 PM »
Homie I would recommend that you first try to cast with the rods before you decide. Even though a rod costs a lot, does not mean it will suit you.
Squid Happens!

Offline Homie

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: What rod ?
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2013, 12:30:30 PM »
Agreed Pieter... But this will help in deciding what rods to go test......

Offline Poenskop

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 455
  • Cred: 35
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Port Elizabeth
Re: What rod ?
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2013, 12:51:40 PM »
I've got the Stealth Infinity 5#. It is a awesome rod. The prices have gone up alot since I bought mine. It has a nice fast action without being a broomstick.

Have alook at the Temple Fork BVK rods. I've casted one about two years ago and promised myself I will own one when I am big. I do not know what the price will be in South Africa.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 12:52:38 PM by Poenskop »

Offline Debbie

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 540
  • Cred: 55
  • Gender: Female
  • Location: Durban
Re: What rod ?
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2013, 12:55:41 PM »
Budget ?????

Around 2k....

4's add another 500 -800 Bucks and you are in for the :
 
1) Stealth Infinty +/- R2800
2) Xplorer Guide II +/- R2200
3) Grays Streamflex +/- R2500

I would go with 1) Stealth Infinty  ( because i have one  w;k  ) but I have a feeling they a bit more than R2800  :cnfzd

Offline doc

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 193
  • Cred: 82
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria, Gauteng
Re: What rod ?
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2013, 12:57:03 PM »
I was in the same position and got myself the Orvis Access tip action 5wt.  Only casted the rod in a field yet can't believe a rod can make casting so much easier.


I am thrilled to bit's with it.

Offline Homie

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: What rod ?
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2013, 01:00:41 PM »
Price range Doc ?

Offline doc

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 193
  • Cred: 82
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria, Gauteng
Re: What rod ?
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2013, 01:03:27 PM »
About R2800

Offline Debbie

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 540
  • Cred: 55
  • Gender: Female
  • Location: Durban
Re: What rod ?
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2013, 01:03:41 PM »
http://www.stealth.co.za/infinity/
 
Here is the prices list for the infinity - they are around R2895 - R3095

Offline Homie

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: What rod ?
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2013, 01:05:31 PM »
 :tkx: Doc n Deb...

Think its a bit more that i planned....

Remember... a new rod HAS to have a new reel :hnthnt:

Offline Tombosis

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 11
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: JHB
Re: What rod ?
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2013, 01:18:43 PM »
Hey Homie


My 2c, get a TFO. Not sure of the pricing now but I paid about R1,600 for my  Professional Series some time ago. I was in the market for an upmarket rod (Sage etc.). Had a throw with all of them and then tried the TFO and was so impressed I bought it. Also managed to break a section and had no trouble getting it replaced (handling fee of about R100). If you like fast rods and are obsessed with distance I highly recommend them.

Offline Werries

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 675
  • Cred: 84
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: What rod ?
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2013, 01:21:26 PM »
Homes, ET has just the rod for you( if they are still available). Look at the Gatti's that he has up for sale (R2.5k)...They are apparently really really awesome rods holding its own with the SAGE's and G.Loomis's. Do a quick Google search on those rods. Maybe it's just what you want

http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=14694.0
Only dead fish go with the flow...

Offline super_daav

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 855
  • Cred: 74
  • Gender: Male
  • Lower Zambezi 2009
  • Location: Durban, KZN
Re: What rod ?
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2013, 01:44:36 PM »
I have a Horizon XRS 5wt which I think retails for around R2,250.00. Really, really nice rod! Fast-actioned, light and strong.
 
Spend money on the rod and line then reel in my opinion. I still use a daiwa lochmor reel which is nothing more than a line holder but works for me!
Kingfisher.co.za
Official Daiwa agent

Offline icstuff

  • The Ultimate Clown
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1105
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • It's the Water's fault!
  • Location: Meyerton
Re: What rod ?
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2013, 03:03:53 PM »
I have a Horizon XRS 5wt which I think retails for around R2,250.00. Really, really nice rod! Fast-actioned, light and strong.
 
Spend money on the rod and line then reel in my opinion. I still use a daiwa lochmor reel which is nothing more than a line holder but works for me!

I have to agree on the sentiment - The reel is not that important, until you hook a bus that is...
Something with a fighting butt will help fighting big fish.
Squid Happens!

Offline Debbie

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 540
  • Cred: 55
  • Gender: Female
  • Location: Durban
Re: What rod ?
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2013, 04:18:25 PM »
:tkx: Doc n Deb...

Think its a bit more that i planned....

Remember... a new rod HAS to have a new reel :hnthnt:

Yip I have one of these beauties
 
 

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal